BenQ W2700 / HT3550 Announcement and Owner’s Thread - Page 138 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2696Likes

post #4111 of 4732 Old 07-10-2019, 10:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 16
If any of you guys are on the fence, it's on the BenQ refurb site for essentially 50% off.
sage11x likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4112 of 4732 Old 07-10-2019, 10:48 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keltron View Post
If any of you guys are on the fence, it's on the BenQ refurb site for essentially 50% off.
I wonder who's return from this thread we'd actually get...

Very tempted for the price. Have it in the cart now.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk
sage11x likes this.
post #4113 of 4732 Old 07-10-2019, 10:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 198 Post(s)
Quoted: 2755 Post(s)
Liked: 2744
BenQ W2700 / HT3550 Announcement and Owner’s Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by futurecode View Post
Current unit RMA "not so much an" UPDATE ...

Was sent this response on July 3'rd 11:30am est:

It's currently July 10'th 12:30pm est and have yet receive a response/follow up/anything.

Wouldn’t it be great if there was a forum member who had contact within BenQ and who might be able to forward said pictures directly to said product manager?.........

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4114 of 4732 Old 07-10-2019, 10:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

That’s an INSANE price.

Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

post #4115 of 4732 Old 07-10-2019, 11:06 AM

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 84
OOS now...

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk
post #4116 of 4732 Old 07-10-2019, 11:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
Wouldn’t it be great if there was a forum member who had contact within BenQ and who might be able to forward said pictures directly to said product manager?.........

Wouldn't it be great if they acted like professionals, took all legitimate customer issues seriously and tried to alleviate the issue in a reasonable amount of time and people didn't have to resort to using "someone-who-knows-someone" to get their issues resolved.

I was going to go with:

Wouldn't it be great if someone genuinely wanted to help, didn't post meme's, and just PM'd "give me your info, I'll pass it on" instead of trying to seem magnanimous for "forum cred"

But I thought the first one was better'er'er
tonybradley likes this.

Beer Massif/ve Beers :: U.S. based windbag who won't shut up about beer :: Lord Commander of the Beer Massif Podcast ::youtube.com/massivebeers
BenQ W1070 | 100" Dalite Fixed Screen
Onkyo NR-676 | BIC America: DV64 Towers : DV62CLR-S Center : DV62si Surrounds : V1020 Sub
Intel 2600k at 4.6GHZ w/ Asus GTX1070 | Playstation 4 | Playstation 3
post #4117 of 4732 Old 07-10-2019, 12:07 PM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by home4sale2 View Post
So, same settings here as well and the neon lights and blue in the mall popped so crazily that I thought my blue settings must be wrong, it just looked horrible so not sure if this was how the mall scene was shot or HDR10 settings are just bad. The rest of the episode looks great to me, I like these new settings. Thanks subacabra.
Glad to see I'm not alone! Yeah rest of everything looked just fine - only the blues looked hyper saturated - another good example of this is a scene in Ozark season 1 where they're sitting by the pool at the motel. Everything looks desaturated (that's the way it was shot) except for the Blue colored items on screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by home4sale2 View Post
How are you saving these settings and under which profiles? Just curious.
So the HDR settings in the "Secrets" review should only be applied to the HDR10 color profile, which the system automatically switches to when you play any HDR content. The Cinema profile should be used for the SDR settings on the review. So you shouldn't need to use any other profile besides Cinema. If you are in Cinema profile and start an HDR show/movie, the system will auto switch to the HDR10 profile.
post #4118 of 4732 Old 07-10-2019, 12:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by futurecode View Post
Wouldn't it be great if they acted like professionals, took all legitimate customer issues seriously and tried to alleviate the issue in a reasonable amount of time and people didn't have to resort to using "someone-who-knows-someone" to get their issues resolved.

I was going to go with:

Wouldn't it be great if someone genuinely wanted to help, didn't post meme's, and just PM'd "give me your info, I'll pass it on" instead of trying to seem magnanimous for "forum cred"

But I thought the first one was better'er'er
Actually, when you first started having issues I asked you to get me pics/vid so I could forward to BenQ and you declined (in the most pleasant way, btw).

So...

The first time I offer to help you you respond with snark. The second time I offer to help you you decide the best course of action it to insult me.

So, I guess, congrats you win?

post #4119 of 4732 Old 07-10-2019, 12:27 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipitch59 View Post
What is the beggining of the S/N ? Should start with PV**K
Yep, PVZ5K..

For now I'm just assuming that whatever BenQ saw fit to put in the box will work fine. They sold it as new and I expect it to work like new.

But I must admit, if BenQ is also selling a handful of these babies at half price, refurb or not, I would be ALL OVER that deal. When I called them they asked 'refurb or new?' and I immediately assumed 'new' would get me a July build and I would feel superior to all the early adopters and sleep the sleep of the righteous etc. It didn't occur to me to ask what the exact *price* of the refurb was.. That might have changed my opinion..

Last edited by NxNW; 07-10-2019 at 12:30 PM.
post #4120 of 4732 Old 07-10-2019, 01:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Actually, when you first started having issues I asked you to get me pics/vid so I could forward to BenQ and you declined (in the most pleasant way, btw).

So...

The first time I offer to help you you respond with snark. The second time I offer to help you you decide the best course of action it to insult me.

So, I guess, congrats you win? [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]
Dude, I literally replied to your post asking for a video with "I'm saying this with zero snark and am genuinely curious," (oh the irony) when you asked for a "‘slo-mo’️ @240 Hz" video of the issue and for me to "Upload it and I’️ll send it over to benQ" ... but that time I had already sent everything over to Benq and I was just letting you know, even capped it with a "I appreciate the offer to forward the videos to Benq" ... what can I say, sorry for being such the jerk.

You started by quoting me stating "in process of talking to Benq" with " contact benQ and replace it" and you saying "Are you actually seeing a loss in resolution" when i quote you from a question you asked hours previously explain the loss in resolution with video and image evidence. At that point I was pretty sure you we're trolling me for fun to the point where I had to ask people if I was crazy for the seeing the issues, to which I got several responses saying it was clearly visible .... then you view you second attempt at help something other than pure snark on your end (Pro Tip: Starting a sentence with "Wouldn’️t it be great ..." followed by a meme is a merriam webster dictionary example of snark) and you view yourself as a victim or unworthy of a rebut I'm really not sure what to say.

Listen, I'm genuinely sorry you have some sort of issues chief. You're obviously a dedicated enthusiast ... not a professional, an ENTHUSIAST .... with some connects that let you review products ( whoop-de-doo, been there, done that, do that) but people do come here for conversation and help, so my advice is if you can, do. Just try not to be uppity or pretentious about it, it's not a good look.

Beer Massif/ve Beers :: U.S. based windbag who won't shut up about beer :: Lord Commander of the Beer Massif Podcast ::youtube.com/massivebeers
BenQ W1070 | 100" Dalite Fixed Screen
Onkyo NR-676 | BIC America: DV64 Towers : DV62CLR-S Center : DV62si Surrounds : V1020 Sub
Intel 2600k at 4.6GHZ w/ Asus GTX1070 | Playstation 4 | Playstation 3

Last edited by futurecode; 07-10-2019 at 01:38 PM.
post #4121 of 4732 Old 07-10-2019, 01:33 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Stupid question does different quality HDMI cables make a difference with signal when using a 50 foot or more long cable?
post #4122 of 4732 Old 07-10-2019, 03:31 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ng4ever View Post
Stupid question does different quality HDMI cables make a difference with signal when using a 50 foot or more long cable?
For 4k yes. From my understanding over 25 feet needs a fiber optic HDMI cable in order to carry 4k at 60fps with HDR. Not sure about 4k movies at 24fps.
post #4123 of 4732 Old 07-10-2019, 03:33 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by wk11793 View Post
For 4k yes. From my understanding over 25 feet needs a fiber optic HDMI cable in order to carry 4k at 60fps with HDR. Not sure about 4k movies at 24fps.

Does 4k at 60fps matter for movies and tv shows with HDR?
post #4124 of 4732 Old 07-10-2019, 03:47 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
I think it's more for gaming. Most movies/TV shows are at 24fps. I don't have the HT3550 yet so I haven't tested my 30 foot cable to see if it works but there were some members here having issues with longer HDMI cables that were resolved by buying fiber optic HDMI cables. I was able to get 4k HDR working on a 25 foot standard HDMI cable on my 4k TV but 50 feet might be pushing it.
post #4125 of 4732 Old 07-10-2019, 04:46 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:

Come on. You chip in a lot on here and you can be pretty helpful, but this comes across as deliberate provocation. Let people air their grievances lest BenQ just keeps coming out with lackluster units and CS. Get over yourself

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk
tonybradley likes this.
post #4126 of 4732 Old 07-10-2019, 04:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

It can if you’d rather run your source at 60 than 24 (in the HT3550 this accesses a higher color wheel speed but can introduce judder).

4K/60 over 15ft is tough. I had to bring my source closer to my projector to get a consistent connection. Now there is an “HDMI PREMIUM” certification that should guarantee that any cable carrying the holographic sticker should be capable of full bandwidth transfer. Still, interference from other devices / cables could still cause problems.

Fiber gets around all of this but, obviously, you pay more.

post #4127 of 4732 Old 07-10-2019, 05:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houssock View Post
Come on. You chip in a lot on here and you can be pretty helpful, but this comes across as deliberate provocation. Let people air their grievances lest BenQ just keeps coming out with lackluster units and CS. Get over yourself

Provocation?

Look. Never had an issue with anyone airing grievances. Believe it or not: was trying to help. I was trying to help before and I was refuted. My attempt at humor was not meant as a provocation— it was meant as an olive branch. Future isn’t exactly my biggest fan so I was attempting to approach him in a different way. Clearly that failed. Been around here for a LONG time and anyone who knows me knows I don’t get easily offended by what is said about me and I rarely worry about others getting offended from my posts. But, clearly, I struck a nerve so I apologize to anyone I triggered. I’ve ended the conversation and there will be no further interaction so we can all move on and be civil.

Edit: Wait. Did you join just to call me out? You have 1 post...

Last edited by sage11x; 07-10-2019 at 05:25 PM.
post #4128 of 4732 Old 07-10-2019, 05:32 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Provocation?

Look. Never had an issue with anyone airing grievances. Believe it or not: was trying to help. I was trying to help before and I was refuted. My attempt at humor was not meant as a provocation— it was meant as an olive branch. Future isn’t exactly my biggest fan so I was attempting to approach him in a different way. Clearly that failed. Been around here for a LONG time and anyone who knows me knows I don’t get easily offended by what is said about me and I rarely worry about others getting offended from my posts. But, clearly, I struck a nerve so I apologize to anyone I triggered. I’ve ended the conversation and there will be no further interaction so we can all move on and be civil.
Fair play to you, Siouxsie Sioux. No need to bandy your lofty e-status about to humble me further. I apologise; back to the shadowy corners for this lurker. Sorry everyone. Mods, please ban me from sage's board for disrupting the discussion. TIA

post #4129 of 4732 Old 07-10-2019, 05:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houssock View Post
Fair play to you, Siouxsie Sioux. No need to bandy your lofty e-status about to humble me further. I apologise; back to the shadowy corners for this lurker. Sorry everyone. Mods, please ban me from sage's board for disrupting the discussion. TIA

You’re not a lurker this is your 2nd post. Your first post was calling me out and now your 2nd post is an attempt to incite further argument. I actually took your post at face value but I see something is not above board here. I’m not sure what is happening but we’re in agreement on one thing: this entire exchange should probably be wiped.

I’m not commenting on this further.

And here I though all the fun was in the 5050 thread.

post #4130 of 4732 Old 07-10-2019, 07:49 PM

Back on topic.... I have an issue with my HT3550 that I documented earlier but I haven't replaced the unit yet. Do BenQ replacements come with 0 lamp hours or will they have some lamp hours on them? The issue isn't that big of a deal since I mostly watch 2.35 movies, but I'd like to replace it eventually. I was waiting until I use some of my lamp more and until all the kinks are worked out.
post #4131 of 4732 Old 07-10-2019, 08:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Back on topic.... I have an issue with my HT3550 that I documented earlier but I haven't replaced the unit yet. Do BenQ replacements come with 0 lamp hours or will they have some lamp hours on them? The issue isn't that big of a deal since I mostly watch 2.35 movies, but I'd like to replace it eventually. I was waiting until I use some of my lamp more and until all the kinks are worked out.

Yeah, my bad.

BenQ’s preference is to fix your existing projector which means keeping your existing lamp. If a replacement is necessary it will likely be a reconditioned unit and all of their reconditioned models have “at least 80% lamp life left on them.”

post #4132 of 4732 Old 07-10-2019, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Yeah, my bad.

BenQ’s preference is to fix your existing projector which means keeping your existing lamp. If a replacement is necessary it will likely be a reconditioned unit and all of their reconditioned models have “at least 80% lamp life left on them.”
Thanks I'd prefer that because I know some units have weird color reproduction like the first two that I had!
sage11x likes this.
post #4133 of 4732 Old 07-10-2019, 10:00 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Oh my God the gray border. I get it now. If your screen doesn't have a black velvet frame that's a complete non starter.

I fully realize it's improved from the original implementations of the 0.47" chip. But you have to understand I'm coming from an HT2050.

I have a 2.35:1 gray screen. I zoom in and out depending on content. That system worked great before, and I never felt any need to mask off the sides when displaying 16:9 content.

Until now.

I have some serious thinking to do...
post #4134 of 4732 Old 07-10-2019, 10:08 PM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Had another issue just now. About an hour and a half into a movie the projector just turned itself off. It didn't go through the normal shutdown procedure either (the click-click, then dim, then off, then 90 seconds fan). The lamp basically just went out, and there was silence. Adding this to the pile of issues.
post #4135 of 4732 Old 07-10-2019, 10:34 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked: 614
I have been considering trying one of these units but all of the reported issues are keeping me away.
It's a shame too because I have been pretty happy with most of the BenQ products that I have owned over the years.
I must admit that had I seen the refurb price before they sold out I would have placed an order and hoped for the best.

- Jason

HT = BenQ HT3550 - Sony HW45ES @133" / Marantz SR6013 7.3.4 Atmos / B&K 5000 II amp / Boston VR2/VR12/CR67 speakers / Rythmik 12" x2 / CV 15" / Panasonic UB820 / Toshiba HD-A3
Media Room = Sony 65x930e / Denon x3300 /Klipsch speakers /Velodyne subs /Sony x700 /PS4 Pro + PSVR/WiiU/PS3/360/Wii/ 2080 TI - 9900K PC / Multi-Arcade / Virtual Pinball TRE45ON
post #4136 of 4732 Old 07-11-2019, 04:36 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post
I have been considering trying one of these units but all of the reported issues are keeping me away.
It's a shame too because I have been pretty happy with most of the BenQ products that I have owned over the years.
I must admit that had I seen the refurb price before they sold out I would have placed an order and hoped for the best.

- Jason
Yes it is a shame. Instead that we would enjoy this potentially excellent projector, we are talking about many problems this projector has.

After two bad units, I will give this projector another last try, but it has to be at least June 2019 unit with rev.: 2-101.

And even if you get good unit at the beginning it is a lot of possibilities that something will go wrong later.
post #4137 of 4732 Old 07-11-2019, 05:09 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jankometka View Post
Yes it is a shame. Instead that we would enjoy this potentially excellent projector, we are talking about many problems this projector has.

After two bad units, I will give this projector another last try, but it has to be at least June 2019 unit with rev.: 2-101.

And even if you get good unit at the beginning it is a lot of possibilities that something will go wrong later.

I got one of June 2019 with rev 01-101 S/N PV16K... Another one got a May 2019 with rev 02-101.

How can it be a superior rev with an older date beyond change the S/N and REV... I don't know how to trust BenQ
post #4138 of 4732 Old 07-11-2019, 05:24 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipitch59 View Post
I got one of June 2019 with rev 01-101 S/N PV16K... Another one got a May 2019 with rev 02-101.

How can it be a superior rev with an older date beyond change the S/N and REV... I don't know how to trust BenQ
Yes, you can't trust them.

Does second unit have any problems? From which Benq did you get unit. EU or USA?
post #4139 of 4732 Old 07-11-2019, 06:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NxNW View Post
Oh my God the gray border. I get it now. If your screen doesn't have a black velvet frame that's a complete non starter.

I fully realize it's improved from the original implementations of the 0.47" chip. But you have to understand I'm coming from an HT2050.

I have a 2.35:1 gray screen. I zoom in and out depending on content. That system worked great before, and I never felt any need to mask off the sides when displaying 16:9 content.

Until now.

I have some serious thinking to do...

Really?

I guess it’s been awhile since I had my HT2050 but I seem to remember it having a thin border as well. Not as thick as the HT3550’s but I remember asking about it here and being told that’s what the felt around my screen is for.

post #4140 of 4732 Old 07-11-2019, 08:11 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jankometka View Post
Yes, you can't trust them.

Does second unit have any problems? From which Benq did you get unit. EU or USA?

EU, directly from the HQ in Netherlands.

There was dust on the lens and fingerprint. I asked them by mail (with photos) how it can be new with these. I don't know what they could be answer with that...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page