BenQ W2700 / HT3550 Announcement and Owner’s Thread - Page 139 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2804Likes

post #4141 of 4991 Old 07-11-2019, 10:02 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by theagent View Post
Had another issue just now. About an hour and a half into a movie the projector just turned itself off. It didn't go through the normal shutdown procedure either (the click-click, then dim, then off, then 90 seconds fan). The lamp basically just went out, and there was silence. Adding this to the pile of issues.
I had this happen once with my current unit I'm hoping to replace ... the bizarre part was how quite it went down. Just kind of put a blank screen up and a soft rainbow pattern, basically a black screen cycling through rainbow tones, and then it was just off. Didn't exhibit any overheating warning lights or anything else. The more bizarre part was I let it be for a few minutes and hit the power button on the remote and it started up the exact same way it shut down, that same soft rainbow pattern and then a couple of flickers and back on .... not splash screen logo to be seen on either power up or down.

Beer Massif/ve Beers :: U.S. based windbag who won't shut up about beer :: Lord Commander of the Beer Massif Podcast ::youtube.com/massivebeers
BenQ W1070 | 100" Dalite Fixed Screen
Onkyo NR-676 | BIC America: DV64 Towers : DV62CLR-S Center : DV62si Surrounds : V1020 Sub
Intel 2600k at 4.6GHZ w/ Asus GTX1070 | Playstation 4 | Playstation 3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4142 of 4991 Old 07-11-2019, 10:04 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by NxNW View Post
Oh my God the gray border. I get it now. If your screen doesn't have a black velvet frame that's a complete non starter.

I fully realize it's improved from the original implementations of the 0.47" chip. But you have to understand I'm coming from an HT2050.

I have a 2.35:1 gray screen. I zoom in and out depending on content. That system worked great before, and I never felt any need to mask off the sides when displaying 16:9 content.

Until now.

I have some serious thinking to do...
Just for good measure and because I didn't see it mentioned in reference to your set up triple check that there is zero keystone and auto keystone is completely off ... that throws a light border around my image if I use it.

Beer Massif/ve Beers :: U.S. based windbag who won't shut up about beer :: Lord Commander of the Beer Massif Podcast ::youtube.com/massivebeers
BenQ W1070 | 100" Dalite Fixed Screen
Onkyo NR-676 | BIC America: DV64 Towers : DV62CLR-S Center : DV62si Surrounds : V1020 Sub
Intel 2600k at 4.6GHZ w/ Asus GTX1070 | Playstation 4 | Playstation 3
post #4143 of 4991 Old 07-11-2019, 10:59 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by futurecode View Post
I had this happen once with my current unit I'm hoping to replace ... the bizarre part was how quite it went down. Just kind of put a blank screen up and a soft rainbow pattern, basically a black screen cycling through rainbow tones, and then it was just off. Didn't exhibit any overheating warning lights or anything else. The more bizarre part was I let it be for a few minutes and hit the power button on the remote and it started up the exact same way it shut down, that same soft rainbow pattern and then a couple of flickers and back on .... not splash screen logo to be seen on either power up or down.

That's pretty much exactly what happened. It didn't feel hot enough for it to be an overheating issue, so I don't know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4144 of 4991 Old 07-11-2019, 12:06 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
Really? I guess it’s been awhile since I had my HT2050 but I seem to remember it having a thin border as well. Not as thick as the HT3550’s but I remember asking about it here and being told that’s what the felt around my screen is for.
Yeah, it had me wondering as well, but I just compared them head to head and it really is much more visible on the HT3550. I can PM some pictures but at this point I'm mindful of cluttering the main thread with a bunch of "evidence" proving the existence of an already-documented feature that may not even bother some people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by futurecode View Post
Just for good measure and because I didn't see it mentioned in reference to your set up triple check that there is zero keystone and auto keystone is completely off ... that throws a light border around my image if I use it.
Good suggestion, thank you. I did check and I have it off. The border is not especially wide, just a little less than an inch wide on a 100 inch image, so again, this seems to be behaving exactly what people have described elsewhere. I just wasn't quite ready for the implications of having *my* setup place this border well within the actual white screen surface whenever I'm not viewing scope movies. This is really on me: up until now I had gotten away without proper masking. This projector seems to require that I finally remedy that.

I'm a little sheepish at blurting out my reaction to it, there's really no news here: anyone with the usual 16:9 screen (especially one with a felt frame) can disregard this just like everyone has concluded previously.

It's just funny how you read about certain behaviors (chromatic aberration, XPR noise, gray border) and you think to yourself before you receive the unit that yes, you understand this, and you will be fully prepared. Then you get the thing and see firsthand what everyone is talking about and realize, oh, yeah, that *is* something you have to get used to, especially if you are coming from a different projector.

It's all about expectations..

Right now I'm holding off any real judgment until I see HDR in action. For me that is the chief, possibly only, reason to get this projector as opposed to just sticking with my 2050. I will say however, as things stand now, that HDR better be pretty mind blowing because I did not realize how satisfied I was with my 2050 until I contemplated the expense and hassle of replacing every bit of gear in my house to go 4K.
sage11x likes this.
post #4145 of 4991 Old 07-11-2019, 03:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 203 Post(s)
Quoted: 2794 Post(s)
Liked: 2799
Quote:
Yeah, it had me wondering as well, but I just compared them head to head and it really is much more visible on the HT3550. I can PM some pictures but at this point I'm mindful of cluttering the main thread with a bunch of "evidence" proving the existence of an already-documented feature that may not even bother some people.Good suggestion, thank you. I did check and I have it off. The border is not especially wide, just a little less than an inch wide on a 100 inch image, so again, this seems to be behaving exactly what people have described elsewhere. I just wasn't quite ready for the implications of having *my* setup place this border well within the actual white screen surface whenever I'm not viewing scope movies. This is really on me: up until now I had gotten away without proper masking. This projector seems to require that I finally remedy that.

I'm a little sheepish at blurting out my reaction to it, there's really no news here: anyone with the usual 16:9 screen (especially one with a felt frame) can disregard this just like everyone has concluded previously.

It's just funny how you read about certain behaviors (chromatic aberration, XPR noise, gray border) and you think to yourself before you receive the unit that yes, you understand this, and you will be fully prepared. Then you get the thing and see firsthand what everyone is talking about and realize, oh, yeah, that *is* something you have to get used to, especially if you are coming from a different projector.

It's all about expectations..

Right now I'm holding off any real judgment until I see HDR in action. For me that is the chief, possibly only, reason to get this projector as opposed to just sticking with my 2050. I will say however, as things stand now, that HDR better be pretty mind blowing because I did not realize how satisfied I was with my 2050 until I contemplated the expense and hassle of replacing every bit of gear in my house to go 4K.

That last part is so very accurate. The projector is only half the battle— you need to upgrade your sources and possibly every step in between (AVR, cables).

For me, I sort of skirted around this. As I find the lag on this new generation of 4K DLP too high to game meaning I don’t need to hook up my consoles and that means I don’t need a 4K compatible AVR to switch between multiple sources (allowing me to stick with my current amp which works great as, you know, an AMP and just run a separate HDMI for audio). My 4K chain consists of a Sony X800 and the HT3550... and that’s it. Separate HDMI to the receiver for uncompressed audio and I’m set. Sony handles discs as well as all my streaming. I cut the cord almost 10 years ago so I have no cable or sat box to worry about.
NxNW likes this.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
post #4146 of 4991 Old 07-11-2019, 06:30 PM

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 122
I like that setup - dead simple. Might have to consider a single all purpose source device like that. Pretty much every component you listed is something I've got dialed in just the way I like but now am faced with replacing. For the very very short term I just popped over to Target and bought a Roku stick to jab in the back of the thing so I could unlock the hidden level in this game called "HDR10". Very cool so far. Now the question looms, how bad do I want to chase the dragon..
sage11x likes this.
post #4147 of 4991 Old 07-12-2019, 10:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I like that setup - dead simple. Might have to consider a single all purpose source device like that. Pretty much every component you listed is something I've got dialed in just the way I like but now am faced with replacing. For the very very short term I just popped over to Target and bought a Roku stick to jab in the back of the thing so I could unlock the hidden level in this game called "HDR10". Very cool so far. Now the question looms, how bad do I want to chase the dragon..

I had a rough time with the X800 at first but after a couple firmware updates and some due diligence on my end I’ve settled in with it. It’s an excellent Blu-ray player, a very good transport and, IMO, an above average streaming device. About the only complaint I can leverage against it is it’s HDR/SDR conversion which, to be fair, only the more expensive Panasonic has managed to get right. But in this case the BenQ’s HDR Pro tone mapping makes this a non issue.

Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

post #4148 of 4991 Old 07-12-2019, 11:48 AM

Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Any news on the upcoming "bright version" of 3550? I recall someone was mentioning that BenQ was working on another DLP HDR projector that was supposed to be similar specs but with more lumens and it was supposed to be out sometime in later 2019... I was gone from this thread for quite a while, so not sure if that unit is still coming, or BenQ is no longer working on it...
ClassicQ8 likes this.

LG OLED 55C6P | LG OLED 65B7A | Denon AVR X6200W | Denon AVR X4300H | Parasound 2125 and ATI 1506 Amps | Definitive Technology Speakers /w Earthquake SuperNova MKV-12 with 7.1.4 Atmos | LG UP970 and Oppo 203 UHD Players | Nvidia Shield | ATV4K | Roku Ultra | Amazon FireTV
post #4149 of 4991 Old 07-12-2019, 01:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 65
I know the Benq can not do deep blacks but I have to say.... just watched Gravity in 3D and the Benq was putting in a valiant effort!
I genuinely feel for all those who are having big problems with theirs as a decently working unit is a joy. Mine is not perfect as it has it's odd moments, although this is always on start up and the good old on/off sorts it out - like myself (quite elderly) it seems to get a bit confused now and then - when it's playing it's a great performer.

I am hopeful that the next Firmware patch will sort this out as there is a lot going on on boot up and quite possibly the software is in need of further tweaking to cure these lapses of memory
post #4150 of 4991 Old 07-12-2019, 01:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TohaLA View Post
Any news on the upcoming "bright version" of 3550? I recall someone was mentioning that BenQ was working on another DLP HDR projector that was supposed to be similar specs but with more lumens and it was supposed to be out sometime in later 2019... I was gone from this thread for quite a while, so not sure if that unit is still coming, or BenQ is no longer working on it...

We should hopefully have more information about the TK850 at the very end of July / early August. I’m also hoping to have some information to share on some other BenQ product that is in the pipe...
TohaLA and ClassicQ8 like this.

post #4151 of 4991 Old 07-12-2019, 05:08 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked: 661
Has anyone directly compared the 3550 against the 8050 or 9050 (regarding IQ)..?

- Jason

HT = Epson HC3800 - BenQ HT3550 - Sony HW45ES @133" / Marantz SR6013 7.3.4 Atmos / B&K 5000 II amp / Boston VR2/VR12/CR67 speakers / Rythmik 12" x2 / CV 15" / Panasonic UB820
Media Room = Sony 65x930e / Denon x3300 /Klipsch speakers /Velodyne subs /Sony x700 /PS4 Pro + PSVR/WiiU/PS3/360/Wii/ 2080 TI - 9900K PC / Multi-Arcade / Virtual Pinball TRE45ON
post #4152 of 4991 Old 07-13-2019, 11:09 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I Will be waiting for a new Version of BenQ HT3550 i hope we see it this year with at least 2500 Lumens or 3000 like TK800M
post #4153 of 4991 Old 07-13-2019, 11:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicQ8 View Post
I Will be waiting for a new Version of BenQ HT3550 i hope we see it this year with at least 2500 Lumens or 3000 like TK800M

It’s in the pipe but hasn’t been announced yet. See my post above.
ClassicQ8 likes this.

post #4154 of 4991 Old 07-13-2019, 06:51 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
It’s in the pipe but hasn’t been announced yet. See my post above.

Oh i am very happy to know that they are working on brighter PR, but if they don't fix all the issue with there HT3550 in the next PR it will be a big big big disappointment because the HT3550 is a very good PR but the problems make it not the number one PR to buy and it sad to say that.
post #4155 of 4991 Old 07-14-2019, 07:59 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Does anyone have a good hdmi switcher they could recommend? My idea is hook my components to the switch, switch to soundbar and soundbar to projector. The soundbar is a
Samsung HW-Q90R.
post #4156 of 4991 Old 07-14-2019, 08:47 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicQ8 View Post
Oh i am very happy to know that they are working on brighter PR, but if they don't fix all the issue with there HT3550 in the next PR it will be a big big big disappointment because the HT3550 is a very good PR but the problems make it not the number one PR to buy and it sad to say that.

What issues?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #4157 of 4991 Old 07-14-2019, 09:13 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 2
So for summary, I returned the April model that had the following issues:

-Lack of brightness (my big complaint)
-Sync / picture problem when using the internal media player

I finally received a model of May (rev 01.101). And ?

I can say that it was an excellent decision to return the first model. Now comparing, my current model is much brighter (HDR is now possible on a screen of 120"), quieter (it's impressive) and the colors look better. However I have more chromatic aberration, but at the distance I'm looking at the screen, I don't really see it during a movie. The image / sound lag problem still exists with the internal player, so I guess the issue does not come from the PJ (I also tried with two differents USB keys and I have the same problem, it's weird).

So in summary, it's not perfect, but it's definitely better than the first one. And to weigh the pros and cons, I'll keep the one I have, because finding the perfect PJ, seems to me to be an endless quest.
post #4158 of 4991 Old 07-14-2019, 11:46 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 20
How can I tell if mine has a brightness problem with HDR?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
post #4159 of 4991 Old 07-14-2019, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fant View Post
How can I tell if mine has a brightness problem with HDR?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
I had no point of comparison since it's my first projector. On the other hand by reading several reviews, most testers mentioned that the brightness was correct on 120" screen. Well, when I tested, it was much too washed out for my taste, so I told myself, either my PJ has a problem or I will have to accept that the model is like that. So I did an exchange (I had 30 days with Best Buy) to actually find that my PJ was not working properly.

So basically, I took a risk since it could have been worse. I now have a brighter and quieter PJ (it's a bonus because I did not know that my first was noisy !) But I have more chromatic aberration. I watched a Ingmar Bergman movie (black and white) and unfortunately I see at times bluish halos. It's light, but to my taste it's still acceptable. However, when I watch a movie in color, I have not seen this problem yet.

Finally, I think we have to accept some problems. My experience is better with this PJ than the first, that's for sure.
post #4160 of 4991 Old 07-14-2019, 11:17 PM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLPdisciple View Post
just watched Gravity in 3D and the Benq was putting in a valiant effort!
3D is pretty awesome isn't it.
post #4161 of 4991 Old 07-15-2019, 05:32 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Where is the center of the lens when it comes to lens shift?

Lens Shift
Vertical up to +10% one direction only (no negative shift)

Is it at 0% or 5%?
post #4162 of 4991 Old 07-15-2019, 11:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Anybody else not able update there benq ht3550. I have a HT3550 with a manufacture date of MAY 2019. So I figured 1.02 should be able to update. As well I read in these forums some people getting green screen from windows 10 with RGB on and HDR on. I seem to be fine on YCBCR444 with HDR 10. I have a 1070 and just tested out new cords that should be 2.1. Any help on these two things would be greatly appreciated.
post #4163 of 4991 Old 07-15-2019, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yves Claeys View Post
Yes you can see it very clearly unfortunately, see link to video:

https://youtu.be/SZdztHaieVA

*added youtube link
Well, I just discovered that I'm now part of the Pixel Shift Club issue. I have exactly the same problem as in this video. I have not looked at much 4K content yet, but I will be watching tomorrow to see if I have a drop in quality. Do others have this problem? If so, did you learn to live with? I seriously don't want to return once again this PJ...

It's frustrating.
post #4164 of 4991 Old 07-15-2019, 11:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Ok disregard my previous post. Managed to get it to upgrade to 1.02 maybe fat32 usb third usb I tried, and now everything is working All i can say from 1070 to 3550 BIG JUMP haha.
post #4165 of 4991 Old 07-17-2019, 02:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scizorhands View Post
Well, I just discovered that I'm now part of the Pixel Shift Club issue. I have exactly the same problem as in this video. I have not looked at much 4K content yet, but I will be watching tomorrow to see if I have a drop in quality. Do others have this problem? If so, did you learn to live with? I seriously don't want to return once again this PJ...

It's frustrating.

A handful of people here on the thread have experienced this. I can’t imagine that would be easy to ignore or live with. I’d contact BenQ and have it repaired / replaced.

post #4166 of 4991 Old 07-17-2019, 02:50 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Hunter View Post
Anybody else not able update there benq ht3550. I have a HT3550 with a manufacture date of MAY 2019. So I figured 1.02 should be able to update. As well I read in these forums some people getting green screen from windows 10 with RGB on and HDR on. I seem to be fine on YCBCR444 with HDR 10. I have a 1070 and just tested out new cords that should be 2.1. Any help on these two things would be greatly appreciated.
Try, under hdmi settings in the projektor and have a look what it says?
After 1.0.2 mine wasnt set to auto but to YCBCR insted and my hole picture was green or purple!
Having Windows 10 computor in RGB and projector in YCBCR can mess it up😳

Best regard Mr HuxFlux
post #4167 of 4991 Old 07-17-2019, 04:45 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Forgive my ignorance or if it's been explained earlier in the thread, but what's the deal with the rev numbers? I see people comparing 01-101 vs 02-101 and I'm sitting here with a 00-100. What's the difference?
post #4168 of 4991 Old 07-17-2019, 11:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1726 Post(s)
Liked: 4973
Watching Shazam and looking great! No flicker from di even on high.
post #4169 of 4991 Old 07-17-2019, 11:40 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by subacabra View Post
Watching Shazam and looking great! No flicker from di even on high.

Can you share which movies you prefer DI on high, middle and low? I have DI on low which I think it’s the best when watching Get Out. Same for La La Land. But for The Dark Knight Rises, I set it on high. Just curious if you see it differently?

post #4170 of 4991 Old 07-18-2019, 12:19 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Chiafu Hsieh View Post
Can you share which movies you prefer DI on high, middle and low? I have DI on low which I think it’s the best when watching Get Out. Same for La La Land. But for The Dark Knight Rises, I set it on high. Just curious if you see it differently?

Havnt notised any flickering from the iris but in some movies on Netflix ive got a weird pulsating in the darker shadows?

It may have something to do with the format of the movie?

Ive testet many projectors with the movie ”bright” in 4K from Netflix and this pj handles the dark scenes very good!

But, notised i got the pulsating in the dark shadows using my Apple TV 4K! But watching the same movie, using my Windows 10 computer there is no pulsating in the darker shadows?

Tried normal/eco with iris off, low, middle and high!
Even in smarteco i get the same anoying pulsating in the dark scenes and this have been going on in all of my three w2700 that ive had!

Best regards mr HuxFlux

Last edited by HuxFlux; 07-18-2019 at 12:27 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page