BenQ W2700 / HT3550 Announcement and Owner’s Thread - Page 140 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2531Likes

post #4171 of 4441 Old 07-18-2019, 01:58 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 16
This is weird my 50 foot HDMI cable I bought from monoprice won't work on my pc to my projector anymore.

It use to fine.

Doesn't make sense.

It worked fine with a roku when I tested it.

The other spare HDMI cable worked fine as well from my computer to my projector too.

I am lost for words.

It is a fiber cable.

Last edited by ng4ever; 07-18-2019 at 02:33 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4172 of 4441 Old 07-18-2019, 06:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 2693 Post(s)
Liked: 2660
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuxFlux View Post
Havnt notised any flickering from the iris but in some movies on Netflix ive got a weird pulsating in the darker shadows?

It may have something to do with the format of the movie?

Ive testet many projectors with the movie ”bright” in 4K from Netflix and this pj handles the dark scenes very good!

But, notised i got the pulsating in the dark shadows using my Apple TV 4K! But watching the same movie, using my Windows 10 computer there is no pulsating in the darker shadows?

Tried normal/eco with iris off, low, middle and high!

Even in smarteco i get the same anoying pulsating in the dark scenes and this have been going on in all of my three w2700 that ive had!

Best regards mr HuxFlux

Sounds like it could be an incompatibility somewhere between your W10 PC and the Apple TV. Do you use the same exact settings for both? Does changing the iris setting or even turning it off effect anything?

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
post #4173 of 4441 Old 07-18-2019, 07:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

BenQ W2700 / HT3550 Announcement and Owner’s Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahly3889 View Post
Forgive my ignorance or if it's been explained earlier in the thread, but what's the deal with the rev numbers? I see people comparing 01-101 vs 02-101 and I'm sitting here with a 00-100. What's the difference?

I asked for clarification on this and the answer is, essentially, the rev number doesn’t matter. It’s an internal number BenQ uses to determine which batch the unit is from. Why are there different batches? Changes in manufacturing process or sometimes even part suppliers. But the bottom line is an 02 rev is not going to perform any better than an 00 or an 01. We can show that because there are owners here that have had the projector since jump without issue (myself included).

To be clear: I think the discussion is well intentioned. There are owners here who have had issues and it’s only natural to try and make sense of that or draw some correlation by saying: “I had this issue and it’s attributable to this...” The nature of forum discussion encourages this, in fact. But, in this instance at least, I think assigning any issues to the rev number is a bit like reading tea leaves. If you’re experiencing an issue with your projector you should contact BenQ. If you’re not experiencing an issue: then enjoy your projector and don’t worry about the rev number.
pviader likes this.

Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4174 of 4441 Old 07-18-2019, 07:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by ng4ever View Post
This is weird my 50 foot HDMI cable I bought from monoprice won't work on my pc to my projector anymore.

It use to fine.

Doesn't make sense.

It worked fine with a roku when I tested it.

The other spare HDMI cable worked fine as well from my computer to my projector too.

I am lost for words.

It is a fiber cable.

I have had two Monoprice fiber cables that were 30ft long and both exhibit drop issues. Monoprice wasn't helpful so I ditched them and put in a RUIPRO off Amazon. Several months have gone by now with no issues at all. Sorry for your trouble but hope you get it sorted.
sparky7 likes this.

AVR - Denon AVR-X4300H & NAD C 375BEE
Fronts - Magnepan MG12/QR / Center - Magnepan MGCC2
Satellites - 6 Monoprice Black Back 6.5 /Sub - SVS PB-1000
PRJ - BenQ HT3550 / SCN - SilverTicket STR-16992
Sources - Switch/PS4/Sony UBP-X800/Thorens TD166 MKII/Austin Audioworks Black Swan
post #4175 of 4441 Old 07-18-2019, 10:13 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by neotide View Post
I have had two Monoprice fiber cables that were 30ft long and both exhibit drop issues. Monoprice wasn't helpful so I ditched them and put in a RUIPRO off Amazon. Several months have gone by now with no issues at all. Sorry for your trouble but hope you get it sorted.
I initially was going to just get 18Gbps rated copper cables for my 30 foot runs but after I did some research on this forum and elsewhere; the conclusion is that copper runs past 25' will start to exhibit quality and source drop issues when pushing through 4k60FPS HDR content. Anything 30' and over is probably guaranteed to result in issues.
neotide likes this.
post #4176 of 4441 Old 07-18-2019, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xealo View Post
I initially was going to just get 18Gbps rated copper cables for my 30 foot runs but after I did some research on this forum and elsewhere; the conclusion is that copper runs past 25' will start to exhibit quality and source drop issues when pushing through 4k60FPS HDR content. Anything 30' and over is probably guaranteed to result in issues.

That is the same reason I went with fiber as well. Just seems the Monoprice ones I tried were crap and would drop my signal regularly.

Sources - Switch/PS4/Sony UBP-X800/Thorens TD166 MKII/Austin Audioworks Black Swan
post #4177 of 4441 Old 07-18-2019, 10:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1639 Post(s)
Liked: 4766
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Chiafu Hsieh View Post
Can you share which movies you prefer DI on high, middle and low? I have DI on low which I think it’s the best when watching Get Out. Same for La La Land. But for The Dark Knight Rises, I set it on high. Just curious if you see it differently?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hey Jeffrey!
Since I've been using those hdr settings from Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity I've watched a handful of movies, as well as the compete season 3 of Stranger Things.
The only movie I noticed the flickering a decent amount was the uhd disc of It.
I also watched BR2049, Justice League, Deadpool, 13 Hours, Black Hawk Down, Dunkirk and maybe a couple others.
The flickering was very minimal, and not enough to distract me from the movies.
Stranger Things looked really nice too.
post #4178 of 4441 Old 07-18-2019, 10:36 AM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by subacabra View Post
Hey Jeffrey!
Since I've been using those hdr settings from Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity I've watched a handful of movies, as well as the compete season 3 of Stranger Things.
The only movie I noticed the flickering a decent amount was the uhd disc of It.
I also watched BR2049, Justice League, Deadpool, 13 Hours, Black Hawk Down, Dunkirk and maybe a couple others.
The flickering was very minimal, and not enough to distract me from the movies.
Stranger Things looked really nice too.
I actually switched back to high DI and neither my wife nor I have been noticing any flickering. Kind of awesome lol.
post #4179 of 4441 Old 07-18-2019, 10:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That is the same reason I went with fiber as well. Just seems the Monoprice ones I tried were crap and would drop my signal regularly.

I ordered a ‘premium’ audio cable from monoprice once. The cheap rca connector just flaked to pieces when I tried to expand the connector a bit (they were ridiculously tight). I decided to hack off the connector and put on my own and when I cut the cable I found two of the most pathetic wires ran inside the thickest rubber casing I’d ever seen. The cable was literally 90% rubber.

I’ve stayed away from them ever since.
neotide likes this.

post #4180 of 4441 Old 07-18-2019, 12:48 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
Sounds like it could be an incompatibility somewhere between your W10 PC and the Apple TV. Do you use the same exact settings for both? Does changing the iris setting or even turning it off effect anything?
Settings in Apple tv is and what ive tried:

HDR 4K, 4.2.2 and 4.2.0
SDR 4K, RGB and ycbcr

And this have been on all of my w2700!
Asked a friend that got the w2700 and also he has the pulsating in the darker scenes especially in that movie?
Other than that this pj handles this movie much better than the uhd51 and makes it a joy to watch
Must be something to do with the tonemapping?

Best regards Mr HuxFlux
post #4181 of 4441 Old 07-18-2019, 01:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Settings in Apple tv is and what ive tried:

HDR 4K, 4.2.2 and 4.2.0

SDR 4K, RGB and ycbcr

And this have been on all of my w2700!

Asked a friend that got the w2700 and also he has the pulsating in the darker scenes especially in that movie?

Other than that this pj handles this movie much better than the uhd51 and makes it a joy to watch

Must be something to do with the tonemapping?

Best regards Mr HuxFlux

This “pulsing” sounds a bit like iris pumping. Does disabling or reducing the strength of the iris make any change in the effect?

post #4182 of 4441 Old 07-18-2019, 01:33 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Is anyone familiar with the quality of 3d achieved by lg oled passive system? It is much better than any active system I ever saw. Care to comment on the 3d quality of this unit as compared to lg passive???
post #4183 of 4441 Old 07-18-2019, 02:17 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
This “pulsing” sounds a bit like iris pumping. Does disabling or reducing the strength of the iris make any change in the effect?
I dont see any difference!
But i can hear a very low sound when the iris is on so i know its doing something

Best regards Mr HuxFlux
post #4184 of 4441 Old 07-18-2019, 02:49 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 91
anyone ever get an oppo-bdp-93 to make sound on an HT3550 over HDMI? video works fine including 3D.

i factory reset both, i've confirmed that both work with other devices, i've tried short copper cables cables active copper cables and active optical cables, i've reduced video resolution and color bit depth, LPCM vs bitstream, audio bit rate, anything i could find in any menu. i've tried all permutations of the two hdmi ports on the player vs two hdmi ports on display. looks like a straight bug.

yes i could probably bypass the HDMI connection and get it to work over mini stereo or optical SPDIF. but there's something annoying about this simple feature not working.

also in response to a couple issues that came up in recent posts, it's entirely plausible that optical HDMI cables can suddenly stop working, not least because they do contain active circuitry (and miniaturized circuitry at that) that can fail for various reasons.

and as for 3d, DLP link generally is excellent, possibly unmatched, when it comes to defeating crosstalk. if your LG has this completely solved then great! we can talk about how comfortable the glasses are vs horizontal resolution vs whatever. but in general it's just hard to beat DLP for 3D..
post #4185 of 4441 Old 07-19-2019, 09:46 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
I can attest to RUIPRO quality - zero issues (for a couple of years now) since I switched from cheaper fiber cable I used before ( I tried both Monoprice and another brand I don't remember). As they say - you get what you paid for...

LG OLED 55C6P | LG OLED 65B7A | Denon AVR X6200W | Denon AVR X4300H | Parasound 2125 and ATI 1506 Amps | Definitive Technology Speakers /w Earthquake SuperNova MKV-12 with 7.1.4 Atmos | LG UP970 and Oppo 203 UHD Players | Nvidia Shield | ATV4K | Roku Ultra | Amazon FireTV
post #4186 of 4441 Old 07-19-2019, 12:08 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
I dont see any difference!
But i can hear a very low sound when the iris is on so i know its doing something

Best regards Mr HuxFlux
I have exactly the same pulsing issue with my AppleTV and it is unaffected by the iris setting. From searching the web it seemed to be an AppleTV problem so I did some tests on both the AppleTV and Roku using Shazam! which heavily exhibits the problem for me in the dark scenes:

Pulsing:
  • AppleTV 4K played via TV app

No-pulsing:
  • AppleTV 4K played via Vudu app
  • Roku Ultra played via Vudu app

I think issue may be the HDR settings on the AppleTV. Will play with hose and retest.

Last edited by martlist; 07-19-2019 at 12:54 PM.
post #4187 of 4441 Old 07-19-2019, 12:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Yeah, when I switched out my Monoprice "certified" 4K 25' copper cable for a RUIPRO fiber my problems disappeared. For whatever reason the Monoprice failed to transmit HDR after a couple months, although it worked fine when originally installed.
post #4188 of 4441 Old 07-19-2019, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samfield View Post
Yeah, when I switched out my Monoprice "certified" 4K 25' copper cable for a RUIPRO fiber my problems disappeared. For whatever reason the Monoprice failed to transmit HDR after a couple months, although it worked fine when originally installed.

Their "quality" is not controlled at the very least.

post #4189 of 4441 Old 07-19-2019, 06:18 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 8
So I just got my unit from Amazon - Rev 01-101 May 2019. Unfortunately seems to be plagued with the half screen issue intermittently. This is on the latest firmware (1.0.2).

Also tried my go to HDR "stress test" - the graveyard scene in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire when ghosts emerge from the wands. The brights are mastered at a very high nit level - 3000 nits or so. The BenQ tone mapping struggled. The brights were so blown out the colors seemed inverted. The only way to get a visible image was to reduce contrast/brightness down to near 0. Here is a comparison on the BenQ vs my TCL 4K TV. This is with the same UHD player and cable. HDR brightness was set to 0 but reducing/raising did not help much.

Projector just also has this cheap feel to it. Not feeling too optimistic at this point.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1486.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	5.65 MB
ID:	2592668   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1489.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	5.43 MB
ID:	2592670  

Last edited by wk11793; 07-19-2019 at 06:27 PM.
post #4190 of 4441 Old 07-20-2019, 07:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

BenQ W2700 / HT3550 Announcement and Owner’s Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by wk11793 View Post
So I just got my unit from Amazon - Rev 01-101 May 2019. Unfortunately seems to be plagued with the half screen issue intermittently. This is on the latest firmware (1.0.2).

Also tried my go to HDR "stress test" - the graveyard scene in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire when ghosts emerge from the wands. The brights are mastered at a very high nit level - 3000 nits or so. The BenQ tone mapping struggled. The brights were so blown out the colors seemed inverted. The only way to get a visible image was to reduce contrast/brightness down to near 0. Here is a comparison on the BenQ vs my TCL 4K TV. This is with the same UHD player and cable. HDR brightness was set to 0 but reducing/raising did not help much.

Projector just also has this cheap feel to it. Not feeling too optimistic at this point.

The HDR Pro Tone mapping is great but it’s not perfect. There’s no way that one tone map will work for every single movie especially considering there is no reference point or standard for HDR10 mastering. I’m surprised the HDR brightness adjustment didn’t change anything— that’s what I use.

Here’s the thing: projectors can’t really do HDR. HDR is a flat screen thing not a projector thing. For the most part I’ve had a fantastic experience with the HT3550 leaving HDR at 0 but I have run into some instances where a movie didn’t quite work there.

You’ll want to make sure that your player is not compressing the HDR dynamic range at all. In my case I use a Sony X800 which has an option to convert HDR to SDR— mostly those don’t work so shut it off (more on that below). The Sony also has a display type setting— leave it to TV and let the BenQ so the work.

There are options. You could purchase a Panasonic UB820 Blu-ray player. It’s popular among projector owners for having really good HDR/SDR conversion. I haven’t tried it myself but in tests I’ve seen it’s pretty much the only box with universal HDR to SDR that is worth a damn.

As for a “cheap feel”, well, not sure what to say. Compared to other projectors in it’s price range the HT3550 actually “feels” really nice to me. But I’m not sure what your point of reference is. Keep in mind the HT3550 is on the absolute bargain end of the 4K projector market. With the exception of a few less featured competitors and some discontinued models this is about the most affordable way to get into 4K today. In terms of BenQ’s lineup this is the second most affordable 4K model they sell. If you’re looking for more you may simply need to spend more.

Last edited by sage11x; 07-20-2019 at 07:55 AM.
post #4191 of 4441 Old 07-20-2019, 12:49 PM

I was able to do more extensive testing today. The colors and sharpness are a marked improvement over the W1070. I also found motion handling pleasantly improved over the W1070 with no noticeable judder. Black levels and contrast are good for a DLP in this price range and also improved over the W1070 though not significantly.

Not a huge fan of the dynamic iris - I found even set to low there was visible pumping/flickering and a distracting clicking noise coming from the projector when engaged. This was less noticeable in action scenes but distracting in quieter dialogue-driven scenes. Not sure if I will use it but I am a little disappointed. Definitely needs more refinement.

WCG seems hit-or-miss. Some movies benefited from it while others seemed better with it off. I will have to play with the settings a bit to see if it can be improved. Seems to cast a blue tint over the image. I also felt like there was more fringing/CA with WCG engaged.

HDR tone mapping is generally very good for most films. The above example for GOF is more of an exception but even some HDR TVs have difficulty with that scene. I was able to switch to SDR and change settings on the blu-ray player to restore detail that was clipped while still keeping the 4K image. The half screen issue does keep popping up on occasion when I play with the settings so there are definitely still bugs that need to be worked out.
sage11x and DunMunro like this.
post #4192 of 4441 Old 07-20-2019, 06:31 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Just confirming...the HT3550 will fit the universal mount that BenQ sells? BenQ CM00G3 Universal Ceiling Mount
post #4193 of 4441 Old 07-20-2019, 07:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by determined View Post
Just confirming...the HT3550 will fit the universal mount that BenQ sells? BenQ CM00G3 Universal Ceiling Mount

Yes.

post #4194 of 4441 Old 07-20-2019, 07:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by wk11793 View Post

Which UHD player are you using?
post #4195 of 4441 Old 07-20-2019, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunMunro View Post
Which UHD player are you using?
Panasonic UB200. It was the only cheap UHD player Panasonic ever produced for the U.S. (that I know of) and it's a few years old so no HDR optimizer like the newer UB820/UB900. I was hoping the US would get a UB420 but it doesn't seem like Panasonic is interested in producing an equivalent US model. The UB200 handles most of everything very well and does provide tone curve adjustments to reduce highlight clipping though it dulls the picture. I was able to get the scene to play properly by turning HDR off. My TCL TV though had no issues with the scene.
post #4196 of 4441 Old 07-20-2019, 11:05 PM

Thanks everyone about the information on the wires! Just ordered a 12m RUIPRO fiber cable.

Hopefully not to long to interface with signal.
post #4197 of 4441 Old 07-21-2019, 01:42 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I'm unable to update firmware, keep getting message "There is no updated version in USB." I've tried everything, downloaded update from Benq, unzipped, copied to USB drive, go to menu, system setup advanced, firmware upgrade, but still get that message.

I tried different drives, formatted them to FAT32 (both quick format and full format). Nothing works, any ideas?
post #4198 of 4441 Old 07-21-2019, 02:58 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Never mind, finally got it updated after trying several times. I don't know what I did different, but it worked.
post #4199 of 4441 Old 07-21-2019, 05:15 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by ng4ever View Post
Thanks everyone about the information on the wires! Just ordered a 12m RUIPRO fiber cable.

Hopefully not to long to interface with signal.
Let us know, I have the 10m version and solved all of my issues, especially with the stubborn Xbox One X!
post #4200 of 4441 Old 07-21-2019, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by file8761 View Post
Let us know, I have the 10m version and solved all of my issues, especially with the stubborn Xbox One X!
Just got the 12m RUIPRO fiber cable still no signal makes no sense.

Not sure what to do next
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page