BenQ W2700 / HT3550 Announcement and Owner’s Thread - Page 141 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2691Likes

post #4201 of 4727 Old 07-21-2019, 06:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1684 Post(s)
Liked: 4909
Quote:
Originally Posted by ng4ever View Post
Just got the 12m RUIPRO fiber cable still no signal makes no sense.

Not sure what to do next
I'm using the same one with no issues. Silly question but did you make sure the direction is correct?

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
ng4ever likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4202 of 4727 Old 07-21-2019, 06:57 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by subacabra View Post
I'm using the same one with no issues. Silly question but did you make sure the direction is correct?

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Not silly at all.

Source is in my HDMI port with my video card and display is in my BenQ HT3550 projector.
post #4203 of 4727 Old 07-22-2019, 01:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Two Image Quality Issues with HT3550

I've noticed primarily two issues when viewing 4K, HDR based materials and I need some help/thoughts/advice from those of you who are smarter on these subjects than I.

The issues I describe below only impact some films under limited circumstances. Some films, whose cinematography falls in what I'd consider the main exposure and range as opposed to dramatic and pushed cinematic scenes. The conditions are usually occur when the scene has both darker and bright values in the same frame. The issues impact only the bright areas of the screen. I can best describe the issues as follows:

1. In the brighter areas, it feels like I'm blowing out the image. In some cases, banding is present. In other instances the colors and values take on almost a 'polarization effect, but only in the impacted areas of the frame.
  2. At times, in the areas where the image seems to be nearly maximized out, there are what I'd describe as moving artifacts. These little items dance and move around in the area of the issue. In my gut it feels like the issue may have something to do with the pixel shifting, but I'd expect that to be far to quick to see.
  3. Last night I watched Arival, a truly beautiful work of cinema but also very dramatic. I'd run into no issues in 1080p on the W1070.
A couple of additional thoughts ...
  • This has not yet happened in standard HD (1080p or 720p).
  • I'm moving from the W1070 and have no experience with either 4K projectors (monitors and cameras, yes) or pixel shifting projectors (Epson, JVD, Sony or BenQ).
  • I'm using high quality cables, neither over 3 meters in length and I've swapped them to see if they were an issue. No joy
  • I've removed the receiver from the equation, and also used several different methods of playing the files (Computer w/NVidea Quarto, Nvidea Shield (v.1), etc.). No joy

I'm almost to my 30 day limit to return or move up in the world. I'm looking at moving to either the HT5550 or the Epson 5050 if the issue turns out to be my perception of the pixel shifting with DLP technology. I am also concerned I may simply have a bad copy of the product.

Here is an iPhone image or two that I captured last night. I apologize for the quality. You can get a hint of what I'm trying to describe (minus the marching artifacts) in the images. It is not the exposure of the phone that is blown out BTW. The projected image truly appears this way.

Well, that's all I can think of to include -- Thank you in advance for your comments and please, have at it!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4561.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	352.0 KB
ID:	2593502   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4564.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	628.8 KB
ID:	2593504  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4204 of 4727 Old 07-22-2019, 04:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 198 Post(s)
Quoted: 2754 Post(s)
Liked: 2741
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I've noticed primarily two issues when viewing 4K, HDR based materials and I need some help/thoughts/advice from those of you who are smarter on these subjects than I.

The issues I describe below only impact some films under limited circumstances. Some films, whose cinematography falls in what I'd consider the main exposure and range as opposed to dramatic and pushed cinematic scenes. The conditions are usually occur when the scene has both darker and bright values in the same frame. The issues impact only the bright areas of the screen. I can best describe the issues as follows:

1. In the brighter areas, it feels like I'm blowing out the image. In some cases, banding is present. In other instances the colors and values take on almost a 'polarization effect, but only in the impacted areas of the frame.
  2. At times, in the areas where the image seems to be nearly maximized out, there are what I'd describe as moving artifacts. These little items dance and move around in the area of the issue. In my gut it feels like the issue may have something to do with the pixel shifting, but I'd expect that to be far to quick to see.
  3. Last night I watched Arival, a truly beautiful work of cinema but also very dramatic. I'd run into no issues in 1080p on the W1070.
  • I'm moving from the W1070 and have no experience with either 4K projectors (monitors and cameras, yes) or pixel shifting projectors (Epson, JVD, Sony or BenQ).
  • I'm using high quality cables, neither over 3 meters in length and I've swapped them to see if they were an issue. No joy
  • I've removed the receiver from the equation, and also used several different methods of playing the files (Computer w/NVidea Quarto, Nvidea Shield (v.1), etc.). No joy

I'm almost to my 30 day limit to return or move up in the world. I'm looking at moving to either the HT5550 or the Epson 5050 if the issue turns out to be my perception of the pixel shifting with DLP technology. I am also concerned I may simply have a bad copy of the product.

Here is an iPhone image or two that I captured last night. I apologize for the quality. You can get a hint of what I'm trying to describe (minus the marching artifacts) in the images. It is not the exposure of the phone that is blown out BTW. The projected image truly appears this way.

Well, that's all I can think of to include -- Thank you in advance for your comments and please, have at it!!

Post your settings.

That definitely looks like posterization. Could be a settings mismatch or could be a color wheel sync issue. Hard to say for sure.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
post #4205 of 4727 Old 07-22-2019, 04:32 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

I also noticed posterization/banding yesterday on the HT3550 watching Captain Marvel - mainly with bright highlights and skies. Seemed to only occur in smarteco lamp mode. Changing it to economic seemed to get rid of it.
post #4206 of 4727 Old 07-22-2019, 05:34 PM

I tried almost everything to get my 40 foot HDMI cable to work on my pc but nothing seems to work

This is the weird part.

It works (40 feet HDMI cable) on another PC with the projector, it works (40 feet HDMI cable) on the Roku, it works (40 feet HDMI cable) with my computer monitor.

Here is the kicker.

A shorter HDMI cable, 8 feet, works with my pc to my projector.
post #4207 of 4727 Old 07-22-2019, 05:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Gotta be something with that 'puter!
ng4ever likes this.
post #4208 of 4727 Old 07-22-2019, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Gotta be something with that 'puter!

I agree but the problem is what?

I even tried a different OS.
post #4209 of 4727 Old 07-22-2019, 05:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ng4ever View Post
I agree but the problem is what?

I even tried a different OS.
I have no clue as I have no computer in my mix. I've been on vacation and have been putting my pj through the wringer and it's been rock solid.
Even had a fellow AVS buddy @Hetfieldjames up today and it performed perfectly.
Hetfieldjames and ng4ever like this.
post #4210 of 4727 Old 07-22-2019, 05:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1750 Post(s)
Liked: 1064
Quote:
I have no clue as I have no computer in my mix. I've been on vacation and have been putting my pj through the wringer and it's been rock solid.
That projector looked incredible. HDR looked amazing in particular. Thanks again man.
subacabra and ng4ever like this.
post #4211 of 4727 Old 07-22-2019, 06:00 PM

Quote:

My roku looks awesome on my BenQ HT3550.
subacabra likes this.
post #4212 of 4727 Old 07-22-2019, 07:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wk11793 View Post
I also noticed posterization/banding yesterday on the HT3550 watching Captain Marvel - mainly with bright highlights and skies. Seemed to only occur in smarteco lamp mode. Changing it to economic seemed to get rid of it.

I... refuse to watch captain marvel again. Any other scenes you can suggest? I’ll try smart eco myself and see if I notice anything (rarely if ever use smart eco).

Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

post #4213 of 4727 Old 07-22-2019, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
I... refuse to watch captain marvel again. Any other scenes you can suggest? I’ll try smart eco myself and see if I notice anything (rarely if ever use smart eco).
So far I haven't noticed it again but haven't really been using smarteco. Trying to adjust to the dynamic iris. Is the dynamic iris supposed to have a noticeable flicker and clicking? I do also wish it closed a bit more as I only find it makes certain scenes brighter but doesn't really dim the picture much in darker scenes. Not sure if it's working correctly?

Edit: also found another bug. Gamma is disabled when going into the menu with HDR is enabled but still works on the remote although it doesn't seem to do much. Also noticed the half screen issue appears every time I adjust the HDR setting.

Last edited by wk11793; 07-22-2019 at 07:59 PM.
post #4214 of 4727 Old 07-22-2019, 08:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I don't blame you lol
post #4215 of 4727 Old 07-22-2019, 09:54 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Do you think guys the HT3550 is good with 150 inch screen ? or the picture will be very dim ? i have zero light in my room
post #4216 of 4727 Old 07-22-2019, 11:44 PM

I think my issue may be HDMI 2.0b cable with HDMI 2.0a ports.

Unless I am wrong.

The thing that doesn't make sense is it works on another computer which is weird.

Maybe this is not it
post #4217 of 4727 Old 07-23-2019, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Post your settings.

That definitely looks like posterization. Could be a settings mismatch or could be a color wheel sync issue. Hard to say for sure.
Thank you Sage and WG11793 for your quick responses.

May I assume that the posterization is not something that I should expect at times? May I also assume that if there is a color wheel sync issue that this can not be controled via a menu setting?

Sage, the settings are directly OOB. I've changed nothing except:
  1. Muting the speaker
  2. Attempting to run 3D
  3. Attempting to update the firmware
WG, I confirmed that I'm running in normal lamp mode, not any of the eco modes.

Two additional issues came up last night ...
  • I realized that I'm still on firmware 1.0.0. I downloaded the update to 1.00.02 and attempted to update the projector but was not able to complete the process. I followed the video process shared for the HT5550 found on the BenQ sight.
    Note: the download package needs to be unzipped, but it's not clear if the 2nd ZIP needs to be unzipped.
    • 1st and 3rd try, I used a 500 MB stick, using the "2nd"zip file uncompressed. After telling the projector (via the menu, using the remote) to update, the projector seemed to wait for a couple of moments (approx 5-7 sec), accessing the stick then returns to the menus. No indication of any upgrade activity that I expected.
    • 2nd and 4th try, I used a 650GB stick and it was as if the projector didn't recognize it. I tried both with the 2nd zip compressed and uncompressed.
  • I tried to run some 3D pictures last night without success.
    • Side by Side projected correctly but BenQ glasses didn't sync
    • Frame Packing, seemed not to work at all and again, BenQ glasses did not sync up
    • The projector did not seem to sense that the signal was 3D and displayed in the upper left corner that it was a 4K image.
I'm more than willing to chock some of this up to my lack of knowledge and/or experience with 4K and DLP/LCD projectors. However, at this point I'm thinking of returning this unit as a problematic unit (will try to speak with BenQ first) and either request a replacement or move up to a 'higher unit. When it's behaving I like the image quite a bit. I watched part of Ender's Game and the image was very nice!

Any suggestions or opinions on my next steps? Thank you very much!
post #4218 of 4727 Old 07-23-2019, 09:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

BenQ W2700 / HT3550 Announcement and Owner’s Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by wk11793 View Post
So far I haven't noticed it again but haven't really been using smarteco. Trying to adjust to the dynamic iris. Is the dynamic iris supposed to have a noticeable flicker and clicking? I do also wish it closed a bit more as I only find it makes certain scenes brighter but doesn't really dim the picture much in darker scenes. Not sure if it's working correctly?

Edit: also found another bug. Gamma is disabled when going into the menu with HDR is enabled but still works on the remote although it doesn't seem to do much. Also noticed the half screen issue appears every time I adjust the HDR setting.

That’s not a bug.

HDR10 has no gamma curve. That’s sort of the point of HDR. Instead, BenQ offers you an HDR Brightness option which adjusts the tone mapping (which does have a gamma curve).
maglo125 likes this.

post #4219 of 4727 Old 07-23-2019, 09:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thank you Sage and WG11793 for your quick responses.

May I assume that the posterization is not something that I should expect at times? May I also assume that if there is a color wheel sync issue that this can not be controled via a menu setting?

Sage, the settings are directly OOB. I've changed nothing except:
  1. Muting the speaker
  2. Attempting to run 3D
  3. Attempting to update the firmware
WG, I confirmed that I'm running in normal lamp mode, not any of the eco modes.

Two additional issues came up last night ...
  • I realized that I'm still on firmware 1.0.0. I downloaded the update to 1.00.02 and attempted to update the projector but was not able to complete the process. I followed the video process shared for the HT5550 found on the BenQ sight.
    Note: the download package needs to be unzipped, but it's not clear if the 2nd ZIP needs to be unzipped.
    • 1st and 3rd try, I used a 500 MB stick, using the "2nd"zip file uncompressed. After telling the projector (via the menu, using the remote) to update, the projector seemed to wait for a couple of moments (approx 5-7 sec), accessing the stick then returns to the menus. No indication of any upgrade activity that I expected.
    • 2nd and 4th try, I used a 650GB stick and it was as if the projector didn't recognize it. I tried both with the 2nd zip compressed and uncompressed.
  • I tried to run some 3D pictures last night without success.
    • Side by Side projected correctly but BenQ glasses didn't sync
    • Frame Packing, seemed not to work at all and again, BenQ glasses did not sync up
    • The projector did not seem to sense that the signal was 3D and displayed in the upper left corner that it was a 4K image.
I'm more than willing to chock some of this up to my lack of knowledge and/or experience with 4K and DLP/LCD projectors. However, at this point I'm thinking of returning this unit as a problematic unit (will try to speak with BenQ first) and either request a replacement or move up to a 'higher unit. When it's behaving I like the image quite a bit. I watched part of Ender's Game and the image was very nice!

Any suggestions or opinions on my next steps? Thank you very much!

The resulting file that you unzip needs to be placed in the main directory of a USB key to perform he update. You’ll know it’s complete when the firmware revision show the 1.0.2.

Update your firmware first and then check back— the firmware update was comprehensive.
maglo125 likes this.

post #4220 of 4727 Old 07-23-2019, 09:46 AM

Quote:
The resulting file that you unzip needs to be placed in the main directory of a USB key to perform he update. You’ll know it’s complete when the firmware revision show the 1.0.2.

Update your firmware first and then check back— the firmware update was comprehensive.

Hi Sage ...

I've done so again this morning with a new 1GB stick. I reformatted the stick and copied the file "update_signed.zip" to the root of the stick. On an outside bet, I tried inserting the stick once with the projector already on and once starting with the projector off.

The projector's responses were:
  1. Projector seems to see the stick and query it.
  2. The update option in the menu is available
  3. I select the update option
  4. I am asked if I want to update and I select yes
  5. The screen returns immediately to the menu with no further action.

I also tried the uncompressed content of the update_signed.zip file and rec'd the message that there were no update able versions (paraphrase).

I'm pretty darn good at this type of thing so either I'm missing something obvious or there is something amiss with this unit.

Any suggestions or thoughts?

Thank you
post #4221 of 4727 Old 07-23-2019, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Hi Sage ...

I'm pretty darn good at this type of thing so either I'm missing something obvious or there is something amiss with this unit.

OK, it's official. I am obvious challenged!
  • Good new is the update worked.
  • The dumb news is that the Purple bubble = Selected!

Sage, et.al ...

I'll reach out again after this evening, when I've had a chance to again review Arrival and a few of the other films that have been presenting issues. I'll report back both positive and/or negative results.

To be continued ...
sage11x likes this.
post #4222 of 4727 Old 07-23-2019, 10:26 AM

Quote:
That’s not a bug.

HDR10 has no gamma curve. That’s sort of the point of HDR. Instead, BenQ offers you an HDR Brightness option which adjusts the tone mapping (which does have a gamma curve).

Right - so the bug I found was that the remote, when in HDR10 mode, allows you to cycle through 2.2, 2.3, 2.4, etc when it should be disabled as it is in the menu.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #4223 of 4727 Old 07-23-2019, 12:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I don't blame you lol

Yes, and I feel I should clarify that I’m not some nut who gets mad about diversity or upset about representation in Hollywood. Representation is a GOOD thing. Captain Marvel is just a bad movie. In fact, one of the main culprits in what makes it a bad movie is how poorly it’s writers treat their protagonist. Marvel is not a 2 dimensional character she’s a 1 dimensional character. That’s sad considering they’ve had a bazillion movies to learn how to write real, flesh and blood characters.
ng4ever likes this.

post #4224 of 4727 Old 07-23-2019, 12:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes, and I feel I should clarify that I’m not some nut who gets mad about diversity or upset about representation in Hollywood. Representation is a GOOD thing. Captain Marvel is just a bad movie. In fact, one of the main culprits in what makes it a bad movie is how poorly it’s writers treat their protagonist. Marvel is not a 2 dimensional character she’s a 1 dimensional character. That’s sad considering they’ve had a bazillion movies to learn how to write real, flesh and blood characters.
Oh I totally hear you Sage. Plenty of awesome "girl power" movies that aren't forced per say. Wonder Woman comes to mind.
On another note, I was getting some odd blues watching Shazam and Equalizer 2. The deep blues seemed blown out(neon type blues), but more subdued blues rendered just fine.
I changed my hdr settings back to factory minus the 15 sharpness and everything looks terrific again. Weird!
Other than that, no other nutty issues, the pj is working great knock on wood
post #4225 of 4727 Old 07-23-2019, 02:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Oh I totally hear you Sage. Plenty of awesome "girl power" movies that aren't forced per say. Wonder Woman comes to mind.
On another note, I was getting some odd blues watching Shazam and Equalizer 2. The deep blues seemed blown out(neon type blues), but more subdued blues rendered just fine.
I changed my hdr settings back to factory minus the 15 sharpness and everything looks terrific again. Weird!
Other than that, no other nutty issues, the pj is working great knock on wood

The HT3550 does have a tendency to run out of blue energy (clip) as the brightness increases. This is in stark contrast to my HT2050 which had a tendency to run out of red energy.

post #4226 of 4727 Old 07-24-2019, 06:24 AM

Quote:
The HT3550 does have a tendency to run out of blue energy (clip) as the brightness increases. This is in stark contrast to my HT2050 which had a tendency to run out of red energy.

How does this compare to the HT5550? Any areas of the spectrum that folks have notices are running out of energy?
post #4227 of 4727 Old 07-24-2019, 06:35 AM

Quote:

OK ...

I ran tests last night on a number of shows and sources and the issues that I've mentioned seem to be limited to 4K and HDR materials. Though less frequent since the firmware upgrade, the issue with the blue and blue green areas of the spectrum continue. I've included some images from Arrival and the Columbia splash sequence.

Based upon what you're seeing, should I suspect that I have a poor/bad unit or are my expectations too high?

Thank you all again ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4571.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	768.0 KB
ID:	2593974   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4572.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	770.0 KB
ID:	2593976   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4573.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	817.7 KB
ID:	2593980  
post #4228 of 4727 Old 07-24-2019, 06:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
OK ...

I ran tests last night on a number of shows and sources and the issues that I've mentioned seem to be limited to 4K and HDR materials. Though less frequent since the firmware upgrade, the issue with the blue and blue green areas of the spectrum continue. I've included some images from Arrival and the Columbia splash sequence.

Based upon what you're seeing, should I suspect that I have a poor/bad unit or are my expectations too high?

Thank you all again ...
I'll try my uhd copy of Arrival later and see how it looks and report back.
ng4ever likes this.
post #4229 of 4727 Old 07-24-2019, 06:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
How does this compare to the HT5550? Any areas of the spectrum that folks have notices are running out of energy?

The HT3550 has excellent color. It’s tendency to clip blue is only a factor if it’s HDR image. In SDR it’a pretty much reference right out of the box. With HDR, as with all projectors, it has to rely on tone mapping. HDR isn’t just about how bright your highlights are it’s about color volume and color brightness. BenQ, I feel, has made good choices here for it’s HDR image: it’s an exciting image that lends a convincing HDR effect but understand that, again just with all projectors, it’s not really capable of displaying HDR the way a flat screen can and there are going to be some compromises.

To answer your question...

Chris Eberle from Secrets reviewed both the HT5550 and HT3550. He liked both very much. His reviews are excellent as he provides detailed test results in addition to the usual subjective opinions of the product. If you want to learn more about how each unit performs in detail I would check those out. Links below:
https://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/...jector-review/

https://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/...jector-review/

post #4230 of 4727 Old 07-24-2019, 06:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
OK ...

Thank you all again ...

That’s NOT normal. Again, could be a mismatch in settings someplace. Still trying out the smart eco function to see if that’s a potential culprit but right now I can tell you with certainty that is not the way it is supposed to look. I would try resetting your projector to the factory defaults to make sure that it isn’t an issue with the picture settings.

If the problem persists after the reset then what it could be is a color wheel sync issue. This is something that any single chip DLP can suffer from and it’s something I’ve experienced myself as well as seen on various models throughout my time on the forum. I would contact BenQ and let them know you’re having an issue. If it’s a sync issue you’ll need to have the unit repaired.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page