BenQ W2700 / HT3550 Announcement and Owner’s Thread - Page 152 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2960Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #4531 of 5336 Old 09-03-2019, 05:45 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
DaGamePimp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: USA
Posts: 16,364
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 664 Post(s)
Liked: 678
If I keep the HT3550 I am using 100 hours on the lamp before I calibrate and take measurements, I am on a 1.0 gain 133" 16:9 using WCG @ ~mid zoom/normal lamp (dark walls, acoustic ceiling and 100% light control). The image is perfectly acceptable on the new lamp in my set-up.


I posted this yesterday but figured I should wait until I had done some more comparison.

The HW45ES vs. the HT3550 (see image).

To be expected...

45ES is brighter while accurate, better contrast/black level, less noise

3550 has richer color using WCG


Not expected... coming soon.

- Jason
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HW45ESvsHT3550.png
Views:	124
Size:	643.1 KB
ID:	2610770  
ng4ever and triathletewms like this.

HT = Epson 5050ub @133" / Marantz SR6013 7.3.4 Atmos / B&K 5000 II amp / Boston VR2/VR12/CR67 speakers / Rythmik 12" x2 / CV 15" / Panasonic UB820
Media Room = Sony 65x930e / Denon x3300 /Klipsch speakers /Velodyne subs /Sony x700 /PS4 Pro + PSVR/WiiU/PS3/360/Wii/ 2080 TI - 9900K PC / Multi-Arcade / Virtual Pinball TRE45ON
DaGamePimp is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4532 of 5336 Old 09-03-2019, 06:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gunbunnysoulja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Inverness, FL
Posts: 2,834
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Can someone clarify the offset and if there is any flexibility? If the top of my (viewing) screen is at 77" height, and I have 83" ceiling height where the projector will be, where does the center lens need to be?
gunbunnysoulja is offline  
post #4533 of 5336 Old 09-04-2019, 01:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 1,254
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 660 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbunnysoulja View Post
Can someone clarify the offset and if there is any flexibility? If the top of my (viewing) screen is at 77" height, and I have 83" ceiling height where the projector will be, where does the center lens need to be?
As per Benq's specification (Link):
Projection Offset 100%
By default, the center of the lens needs to be at the top of the visible edge of the screen.
Lens Shift Vertical up to +10% one direction only (no negative shift)
That is up to 110% offset, which is up to 10% of the screen height.
For an 100" screen height is 49", 10% is 4.9 inches. Above the top edge of the screen. This is where the center of the lens should be with maximum lens shift.
noob00224 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4534 of 5336 Old 09-04-2019, 08:05 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 64
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 32
And if your ceiling is 83” then the projector will be lower than that once you mount it
Fastrabbit19 is online now  
post #4535 of 5336 Old 09-04-2019, 09:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gunbunnysoulja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Inverness, FL
Posts: 2,834
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastrabbit19 View Post
And if your ceiling is 83” then the projector will be lower than that once you mount it
That is my primary concern because that certainly doesn't leave much room to mount the projector and have the center lens be above the top of the screen, including the projector itself. Especially with my ceiling below a sloped drop ceiling.
gunbunnysoulja is offline  
post #4536 of 5336 Old 09-04-2019, 11:28 AM
Member
 
file8761's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 181
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 34
So I was just poking around the BenQ site and noticed an update in the Firmware section? I no longer see V1.0.2, and V1.0.1 shows yesterday's date? Anyone know what this is and if I should apply this update?

HT3550 Firmware & Change Notice
Language: File Size: 438.23 MB Version: V1.0.1
Operating System: Others Update: 2019/09/03
file8761 is offline  
post #4537 of 5336 Old 09-04-2019, 12:01 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
DaGamePimp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: USA
Posts: 16,364
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 664 Post(s)
Liked: 678
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by file8761 View Post
So I was just poking around the BenQ site and noticed an update in the Firmware section? I no longer see V1.0.2, and V1.0.1 shows yesterday's date? Anyone know what this is and if I should apply this update?

HT3550 Firmware & Change Notice
Language: File Size: 438.23 MB Version: V1.0.1
Operating System: Others Update: 2019/09/03
I noticed that earlier today as well and it has me wondering if they made a version typo or perhaps discovered something wrong in v1.0.2 and reverted back to v1.0.1.

Maybe sage can seek clarification through his contact.

* If the change notice included in the file is accurate it is indeed v1.0.1, it's also a different size file than v1.0.2.

I would not use it until we have clarification from BenQ, if they are reverting then we should be told what the issue is with 1.0.2 (I would guess that most here are on 1.0.2).

- Jason
file8761 likes this.

HT = Epson 5050ub @133" / Marantz SR6013 7.3.4 Atmos / B&K 5000 II amp / Boston VR2/VR12/CR67 speakers / Rythmik 12" x2 / CV 15" / Panasonic UB820
Media Room = Sony 65x930e / Denon x3300 /Klipsch speakers /Velodyne subs /Sony x700 /PS4 Pro + PSVR/WiiU/PS3/360/Wii/ 2080 TI - 9900K PC / Multi-Arcade / Virtual Pinball TRE45ON

Last edited by DaGamePimp; 09-04-2019 at 12:22 PM.
DaGamePimp is offline  
post #4538 of 5336 Old 09-04-2019, 12:23 PM
Newbie
 
Invisible Kid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post
I noticed that earlier today as well and it has me wondering if they made a version typo or perhaps discovered something wrong in v1.0.2 and reverted back to v1.0.1.

Maybe sage can seek clarification through his contact.

- Jason

The change notes are similar to those in v1.0.1, so it doesn't seem to be a typo, unless the txt is also a mistake and then the update is actually a newer one. I guess it's either a mistake or they have really removed v1.0.2 because of some reason ¯\_()_/¯


Edit: Sorry, I now see you have edited your comment to state also that, while I was answering.
DaGamePimp and file8761 like this.
Invisible Kid is offline  
post #4539 of 5336 Old 09-04-2019, 12:27 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
DaGamePimp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: USA
Posts: 16,364
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 664 Post(s)
Liked: 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Invisible Kid View Post
The change notes are similar to those in v1.0.1, so it doesn't seem to be a typo, unless the txt is also a mistake and then the update is actually a newer one. I guess it's either a mistake or they have really removed v1.0.2 because of some reason ¯\_()_/¯
Indeed, we were posting this at the same time, the plot thickens!

- Jason

HT = Epson 5050ub @133" / Marantz SR6013 7.3.4 Atmos / B&K 5000 II amp / Boston VR2/VR12/CR67 speakers / Rythmik 12" x2 / CV 15" / Panasonic UB820
Media Room = Sony 65x930e / Denon x3300 /Klipsch speakers /Velodyne subs /Sony x700 /PS4 Pro + PSVR/WiiU/PS3/360/Wii/ 2080 TI - 9900K PC / Multi-Arcade / Virtual Pinball TRE45ON
DaGamePimp is offline  
post #4540 of 5336 Old 09-04-2019, 12:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 1,254
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 660 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbunnysoulja View Post
That is my primary concern because that certainly doesn't leave much room to mount the projector and have the center lens be above the top of the screen, including the projector itself. Especially with my ceiling below a sloped drop ceiling.
The manual specifies the height of the projector is 127mm, with the lens at about two thirds from the bottom, where the mount would be.
Six inches minus the ~80mm/3 inches, only 3 to 2.5 inches of room would remain for the mount. Not sure if such thin mounts exist.
Also with the ceiling being sloped it's not clear if the mount could be angled.
In this situation the screen should be dropped to make room for the projector.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	01.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	134.6 KB
ID:	2611056  
noob00224 is online now  
post #4541 of 5336 Old 09-04-2019, 01:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gunbunnysoulja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Inverness, FL
Posts: 2,834
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'd have to DIY a custom mount for it to sit on probably. I found a low profile one that tilts but it'll be close in height.

I can't drop the screen as it's full height and is already on the floor.
gunbunnysoulja is offline  
post #4542 of 5336 Old 09-04-2019, 07:05 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
So they replied to my questions email, about the fans ramping up and down and the bottom right corner being curved and not square, with an RMA request. With all the other issues out there, not sure if I want to RMA it now to maybe get one with different issues.
MowgliCSM is offline  
post #4543 of 5336 Old 09-04-2019, 07:30 PM
Senior Member
 
tibimakai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Los Angeles CA
Posts: 370
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 61
I'm in the same boat as you, 88" ceiling and I have only 6" from the ceiling to the white screen line.
At the moment I still have a 2050A, but looking seriously at this pj.
My setup is in the garage, so I can do whatever I want. I ended up using a pj lift(cheap on Ebay). The pj just pokes out from the ceiling, just a bit.
I also have a center speaker issue, I don't want it under the screen, since it is a garage. Not using for parking, but still, once in awhile I need to work on cars.
I have decided to build it into the ceiling/attic, in an angle. I have Klipsch RP-450C.
Initial plan it was to motorize it, and I actually made all the hardware, but I have decided against it, because of the limited "ceiling space".
It seems like, the 5550 would be a better choice.

Living Room: Samsung UN65JS8500,Onkyo TX-NR676,Klipsch R-28F,Klipsch RC-62II,Klipsch R-14S,Polk Audio 80 FX/RT(Atmos)
Bedroom: Samsung UN55MU6290,Onkyo TX-RZ610,Onkyo & Fluance speakers
Garage: Epson 5040UB,Elite Screens 125" motorized screen,2xKlipsch RP-160M,4xKlipsch RP-150M,Klipsch RP-450C ,2xKlipsch CDT-3800CII/2xCDT3650CII,Klipsch R115SW/R110SW
tibimakai is offline  
post #4544 of 5336 Old 09-04-2019, 07:50 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 64
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MowgliCSM View Post
So they replied to my questions email, about the fans ramping up and down and the bottom right corner being curved and not square, with an RMA request. With all the other issues out there, not sure if I want to RMA it now to maybe get one with different issues.
They had me RMA my unit as well. Hoping they fix whatever it is and everything else is fine. Will update once I get it back.
wk11793 is offline  
post #4545 of 5336 Old 09-04-2019, 11:32 PM
Newbie
 
Invisible Kid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post
Indeed, we were posting this at the same time, the plot thickens!

- Jason



Aaand v.1.0.2 is up again
DaGamePimp likes this.
Invisible Kid is offline  
post #4546 of 5336 Old 09-05-2019, 11:13 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
DaGamePimp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: USA
Posts: 16,364
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 664 Post(s)
Liked: 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Invisible Kid View Post
Aaand v.1.0.2 is up again
Interesting.

Speculation on my part, but perhaps a 'fix' or a 'tweak' was being done on 1.0.2., IDK but it's very odd and would be interesting to find out what actually happened.

- Jason
ng4ever likes this.

HT = Epson 5050ub @133" / Marantz SR6013 7.3.4 Atmos / B&K 5000 II amp / Boston VR2/VR12/CR67 speakers / Rythmik 12" x2 / CV 15" / Panasonic UB820
Media Room = Sony 65x930e / Denon x3300 /Klipsch speakers /Velodyne subs /Sony x700 /PS4 Pro + PSVR/WiiU/PS3/360/Wii/ 2080 TI - 9900K PC / Multi-Arcade / Virtual Pinball TRE45ON
DaGamePimp is offline  
post #4547 of 5336 Old 09-05-2019, 11:19 AM
Newbie
 
Invisible Kid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post
Interesting.

Speculation on my part, but perhaps a 'fix' or a 'tweak' was being done on 1.0.2., IDK but it's very odd and would be interesting to find out what actually happened.

- Jason

Not sure why that happened, but the new v1.0.2 file is identical to the previous one I had from the past (Same MD5 sum).
DaGamePimp, file8761 and ng4ever like this.
Invisible Kid is offline  
post #4548 of 5336 Old 09-06-2019, 07:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sage11x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Howell, MI
Posts: 6,837
Mentioned: 212 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2893 Post(s)
Liked: 2909
Quote:
Originally Posted by Invisible Kid View Post
Not sure why that happened, but the new v1.0.2 file is identical to the previous one I had from the past (Same MD5 sum).


No changes. 1.0.2 is safe to download and install. Just a temporary glitch as they were working on the site.
DaGamePimp, ng4ever and maglo125 like this.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
sage11x is online now  
post #4549 of 5336 Old 09-06-2019, 02:06 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 98
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by TohaLA View Post
In the article he specifically states that chips on both end devices (on HDMI board where you plugin HDMI cable) may not equalize properly if cable length between them is longer or shorter than 6ft. Here is the paragraph:

"That means that cables both longer and shorter than 6 foot length will differ from the assumptions built into the electronics. This is EVEN MORE of a problem if the device at either end of the cable is an older HDMI device using older chips that use less sophisticated Equalization methods."
Update #2 : I gave it over a month to make sure that going to a little bit longer cable would fix my issue. Anyways, since switching to a 6 ft. copper cable between my source and receiver, I have had zero source drop issues so I think I can confidently say that your advice to get a longer cable worked. Thanks again.
xealo is offline  
post #4550 of 5336 Old 09-07-2019, 09:26 AM
Member
 
diablo900t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 134
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by MowgliCSM View Post
So they replied to my questions email, about the fans ramping up and down and the bottom right corner being curved and not square, with an RMA request. With all the other issues out there, not sure if I want to RMA it now to maybe get one with different issues.
What's interesting is I have both of these same issues, but with the HT5550.

My dog knocked one of my speakers into my projector screen and I had a white image projected onto it while I was trying to repair and noticed the fan ramp up/hiccup and for a split second while it happened the image got very pixelated; I could see a very visible screen door effect. It seems like when the fan does that its toggling the XPR mode on/off and going from 1080p to 4k.

If you end up RMAing and get both issues fixed, let me know. The fan issue doesn't happen for me all the time and I can't see it from my seat position. I can also live with the slight curve for now.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
diablo900t is online now  
post #4551 of 5336 Old 09-07-2019, 01:06 PM
Newbie
 
Invisible Kid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo900t View Post
What's interesting is I have both of these same issues, but with the HT5550.

My dog knocked one of my speakers into my projector screen and I had a white image projected onto it while I was trying to repair and noticed the fan ramp up/hiccup and for a split second while it happened the image got very pixelated; I could see a very visible screen door effect. It seems like when the fan does that its toggling the XPR mode on/off and going from 1080p to 4k.

If you end up RMAing and get both issues fixed, let me know. The fan issue doesn't happen for me all the time and I can't see it from my seat position. I can also live with the slight curve for now.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Regarding the XPR problem, I've contacted BenQ Europe some weeks ago and this is what they said (Translated by me):


"When the processing needed to show a 4K signal takes place, our W2700 will, at the same time, detect the internal temperature to control the pixel shift; once the device reaches a certain level of temperature, the projector needs to re-calibrate to keep showing a 4K resolution. This "re-calibration" takes between 0.5 and 1 second, resulting in the observed phenomenon. During this time the resolution will be 1080p temporarily until the re-calibration process has ended, that it's when the resolution will be 4K again."


I have also observed the fans ramping up and down sometimes when it happens, although not always. So it might make sense...I hope they keep polishing some of those things in following updates though.
magnification and diablo900t like this.
Invisible Kid is offline  
post #4552 of 5336 Old 09-08-2019, 01:55 PM
Senior Member
 
magnification's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: The Big Apple
Posts: 209
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Invisible Kid View Post
Regarding the XPR problem, I've contacted BenQ Europe some weeks ago and this is what they said (Translated by me):


"When the processing needed to show a 4K signal takes place, our W2700 will, at the same time, detect the internal temperature to control the pixel shift; once the device reaches a certain level of temperature, the projector needs to re-calibrate to keep showing a 4K resolution. This "re-calibration" takes between 0.5 and 1 second, resulting in the observed phenomenon. During this time the resolution will be 1080p temporarily until the re-calibration process has ended, that it's when the resolution will be 4K again."


I have also observed the fans ramping up and down sometimes when it happens, although not always. So it might make sense...I hope they keep polishing some of those things in following updates though.
If I'm reading that answer right, a pixel shifting system gets hotter than normal dlp ones. If that's the case, maybe this pixel shifting technology needs a better cooling system?
magnification is online now  
post #4553 of 5336 Old 09-08-2019, 03:58 PM
Newbie
 
Invisible Kid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnification View Post
If I'm reading that answer right, a pixel shifting system gets hotter than normal dlp ones. If that's the case, maybe this pixel shifting technology needs a better cooling system?
If what they say is really the reason... Then I don't think the problem is it getting hot, but just that they need to account for the temperature oscilation to keep it calibrated. Makes sense?
Invisible Kid is offline  
post #4554 of 5336 Old 09-09-2019, 12:17 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 2
For owners and people that keep up with the ht3550 - did BenQ provide a firmware to enable 2.35 anamorphic aspect ratio for people with anamorphic lenses? It seems the bigger brother HT5550 got a firmware pushed to enable it, just wondering if the 3550 is being blessed as well? Thanks!
Quirky is offline  
post #4555 of 5336 Old 09-09-2019, 06:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sage11x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Howell, MI
Posts: 6,837
Mentioned: 212 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2893 Post(s)
Liked: 2909
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quirky View Post
For owners and people that keep up with the ht3550 - did BenQ provide a firmware to enable 2.35 anamorphic aspect ratio for people with anamorphic lenses? It seems the bigger brother HT5550 got a firmware pushed to enable it, just wondering if the 3550 is being blessed as well? Thanks!


No and as far as I know there are no plans to bring that to the HT3550.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
sage11x is online now  
post #4556 of 5336 Old 09-09-2019, 09:34 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
No and as far as I know there are no plans to bring that to the HT3550.
Really unfortunate to hear (and kind of stupid on BENQ's part, I guess they hate money). Thank you for your quick reply.
Quirky is offline  
post #4557 of 5336 Old 09-09-2019, 10:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sage11x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Howell, MI
Posts: 6,837
Mentioned: 212 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2893 Post(s)
Liked: 2909
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quirky View Post
Really unfortunate to hear (and kind of stupid on BENQ's part, I guess they hate money). Thank you for your quick reply.


I think they just don’t expect too many buyers in this price range to want that sort of functionality enough to spend the time and money to engineer it into the product. I mean, an A lens can easily cost more than the Ht3550 itself.

BenQ has quite a few models (HT9060, HT9050, LK990, LK970, HT8060, HT8050, W11000 and X12000) that have been engineered for use with the Panamorph Paladin lens. But those are all much higher market.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
sage11x is online now  
post #4558 of 5336 Old 09-09-2019, 10:55 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
I think they just don’t expect too many buyers in this price range to want that sort of functionality enough to spend the time and money to engineer it into the product. I mean, an A lens can easily cost more than the Ht3550 itself.

BenQ has quite a few models (HT9060, HT9050, LK990, LK970, HT8060, HT8050, W11000 and X12000) that have been engineered for use with the Panamorph Paladin lens. But those are all much higher market.
Yeah, makes sense perhaps. But many sub $1000 1080p projectors had 2.35 standard for the longest time. It's just silly. I'm on the fence on buying a HT9050. I know lots of people hate on the blacks and lack of HDR (actually I dislike HDR so that part is moot for me). But the blacks are a bit concerning, but may very well give it a shot. Sorry, don't mean to hijack the thread. It's too bad about the HT3550, otherwise seems to have pretty glowing reviews from the community, but the lack of anamorphic lens 2.35 is a bigger concern to me than even very good blacks I guess. Cheers!
sage11x likes this.
Quirky is offline  
post #4559 of 5336 Old 09-09-2019, 12:00 PM
Senior Member
 
Keith AP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Arizona
Posts: 444
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quirky View Post
Yeah, makes sense perhaps. But many sub $1000 1080p projectors had 2.35 standard for the longest time. It's just silly. I'm on the fence on buying a HT9050. I know lots of people hate on the blacks and lack of HDR (actually I dislike HDR so that part is moot for me). But the blacks are a bit concerning, but may very well give it a shot. Sorry, don't mean to hijack the thread. It's too bad about the HT3550, otherwise seems to have pretty glowing reviews from the community, but the lack of anamorphic lens 2.35 is a bigger concern to me than even very good blacks I guess. Cheers!
I'm with you on the anamorphic modes for stretch and compression. My W1070 has it, but recent "budget" projectors are lacking in this regard. There were less expensive lenses before the latest Panamorph versions - that are still in the hands of enthusiasts - including myself. You could consider the HT5550, but note that the anamorphic modes on that projector do not presently work in 4K mode, only 1080P.
sage11x likes this.

Marantz AV7702mkII | Emotiva XPA-5 Gen3 | miniDSP 2x4HD for BEQ/BOSS filters
PSA MTM-210 (L/C/R) | Polk Monitor 35B (SR/SL)
Epson 5050UB - BenQ W1070 w/ Panamorph CineVista Lens | Oppo BDP-103
HSU VTF-3MK5 (dual subs)
Seymour Center Stage UF 2.35 AT Screen
Keith AP is offline  
post #4560 of 5336 Old 09-09-2019, 02:02 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith AP View Post
I'm with you on the anamorphic modes for stretch and compression. My W1070 has it, but recent "budget" projectors are lacking in this regard. There were less expensive lenses before the latest Panamorph versions - that are still in the hands of enthusiasts - including myself. You could consider the HT5550, but note that the anamorphic modes on that projector do not presently work in 4K mode, only 1080P.
Oh! That's very important clarification for the HT5550. If it's only on 1080p it's moot for my interest in that projector. Thank you for clarifying, I was under the impression the firmware worked across the spectrum. I guess I'll hop on the HT9050 and see if I can live with the mediocre black levels. And if not perhaps save more $$ for a Epson 6040 (or wait for a deeply discounted refurb). That's probably the cheapest thing I can think of that has good PQ, anamorphic stretch and 4K.
Quirky is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off