BenQ W2700 / HT3550 Announcement and Owner’s Thread - Page 153 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2960Likes

post #4561 of 5346 Old 09-09-2019, 02:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quirky View Post
Oh! That's very important clarification for the HT5550. If it's only on 1080p it's moot for my interest in that projector. Thank you for clarifying, I was under the impression the firmware worked across the spectrum. I guess I'll hop on the HT9050 and see if I can live with the mediocre black levels. And if not perhaps save more $$ for a Epson 6040 (or wait for a deeply discounted refurb). That's probably the cheapest thing I can think of that has good PQ, anamorphic stretch and 4K.
Last year's Optoma UHD65 has both LBX (stretch) and 4:3 modes for lens use - maybe it's price friendly and has the features you need - though I don't think you can go wrong with a good 6040 (though the 6050 may deliver better results overall).

Marantz AV7702mkII | Emotiva XPA-5 Gen3 | miniDSP 2x4HD for BEQ/BOSS filters
PSA MTM-210 (L/C/R) | Polk Monitor 35B (SR/SL)
Epson 5050UB - BenQ W1070 w/ Panamorph CineVista Lens | Oppo BDP-103
HSU VTF-3MK5 (dual subs)
Seymour Center Stage UF 2.35 AT Screen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4562 of 5346 Old 09-09-2019, 08:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Just received another replacement. This one was manufactured in July, rev 02-103, so seems to be one of the newer units.

I haven't tested it very thoroughly yet, but I thought I'd share my first impression.

The previous one's throw was way off, and had about a 3 inch light border (seriously!). Using a Silver Ticket 120" screen there would be light spillage on the wall. This one has a tiny light border, so, that's good! The throw is also normal, so that's good too.

I didn't care much about fan noise, but this one's also a bit quieter. I didn't notice any whirring when I had it on.

Picture quality, I'm unsure about. I have to take a closer look here. It seems like it's a little bit blurry. The top left corner is most definitely blurrier than the rest of it, so could be a fault with the lens. Also, the focus has a much smaller window. The previous units I had were easier to focus. This one I make a tiny adjustment and it's very blurry. I still have the old unit, but I don't think I have the energy to do a side by side.

4K seems to be 4K again, but again, since it seems a bit blurrier it's hard to tell.

Chromatic Aberration is god awful on this unit. As bad as it possibly could be. I can easily see it from my sitting distance, but I don't think this is something they're going to fix.

WCG seems... different. It doesn't look very good on this unit, and it's even dimmer if that's possible.

Lastly, I think flicker has improved. Again, I'll have to do more testing, but I had DI on high and I'm not sure I noticed it... yet, at least.

So that's my impression so far. I feel like the HT3550 is a flop, and I wouldn't recommend it. Too many defects and issues that won't or can't be fixed.
post #4563 of 5346 Old 09-10-2019, 03:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1769 Post(s)
Liked: 5048
Hi guys! I purchased Gears 5 for my Xbox one x and played a bit on my 900e and it looked stunning. Will be trying it out on the HT3550 later tonight and will report back with my impressions. Prob take a nice video too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4564 of 5346 Old 09-10-2019, 05:44 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 664 Post(s)
Liked: 679
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by subacabra View Post
Hi guys! I purchased Gears 5 for my Xbox one x and played a bit on my 900e and it looked stunning. Will be trying it out on the HT3550 later tonight and will report back with my impressions. Prob take a nice video too.
Been playing Gears 5 since the 6th on pc and it's a looker for sure but has some bugs (concerning since Gears 4 has had issues for nearly 3 years, since it launched).

It looks great on the 3550 @ 4K 60Hz HDR but the input lag can hurt a bit as the difficulty ramps up (playing at 1080p 120Hz didn't feel twice as responsive, YMMV).

- Jason
subacabra likes this.

HT = Epson 5050ub @133" / Marantz SR6013 7.3.4 Atmos / B&K 5000 II amp / Boston VR2/VR12/CR67 speakers / Rythmik 12" x2 / CV 15" / Panasonic UB820
Media Room = Sony 65x930e / Denon x3300 /Klipsch speakers /Velodyne subs /Sony x700 /PS4 Pro + PSVR/WiiU/PS3/360/Wii/ 2080 TI - 9900K PC / Multi-Arcade / Virtual Pinball TRE45ON
post #4565 of 5346 Old 09-10-2019, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theagent View Post
Just received another replacement. This one was manufactured in July, rev 02-103, so seems to be one of the newer units.

I haven't tested it very thoroughly yet, but I thought I'd share my first impression.

The previous one's throw was way off, and had about a 3 inch light border (seriously!). Using a Silver Ticket 120" screen there would be light spillage on the wall. This one has a tiny light border, so, that's good! The throw is also normal, so that's good too.

I didn't care much about fan noise, but this one's also a bit quieter. I didn't notice any whirring when I had it on.

Picture quality, I'm unsure about. I have to take a closer look here. It seems like it's a little bit blurry. The top left corner is most definitely blurrier than the rest of it, so could be a fault with the lens. Also, the focus has a much smaller window. The previous units I had were easier to focus. This one I make a tiny adjustment and it's very blurry. I still have the old unit, but I don't think I have the energy to do a side by side.

4K seems to be 4K again, but again, since it seems a bit blurrier it's hard to tell.

Chromatic Aberration is god awful on this unit. As bad as it possibly could be. I can easily see it from my sitting distance, but I don't think this is something they're going to fix.

WCG seems... different. It doesn't look very good on this unit, and it's even dimmer if that's possible.

Lastly, I think flicker has improved. Again, I'll have to do more testing, but I had DI on high and I'm not sure I noticed it... yet, at least.

So that's my impression so far. I feel like the HT3550 is a flop, and I wouldn't recommend it. Too many defects and issues that won't or can't be fixed.

I concur with most of what you stated as my experience has been very similar after having three samples.

* That said... I should also say that if you land on a solid unit then the performance relative to cost of admission is pretty good.

- Jason

HT = Epson 5050ub @133" / Marantz SR6013 7.3.4 Atmos / B&K 5000 II amp / Boston VR2/VR12/CR67 speakers / Rythmik 12" x2 / CV 15" / Panasonic UB820
Media Room = Sony 65x930e / Denon x3300 /Klipsch speakers /Velodyne subs /Sony x700 /PS4 Pro + PSVR/WiiU/PS3/360/Wii/ 2080 TI - 9900K PC / Multi-Arcade / Virtual Pinball TRE45ON

Last edited by DaGamePimp; 09-10-2019 at 06:03 PM.
post #4566 of 5346 Old 09-10-2019, 08:34 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by theagent View Post

I got a refurb unit during the last sale and my throw is way off too. I had a W1070 and a ht2550 previously mounted in the same spot with no problems. I thought I would have to move my mount, but I guess I need to send it back to BenQ.
post #4567 of 5346 Old 09-10-2019, 08:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 848 Post(s)
Liked: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Law007316 View Post
I got a refurb unit during the last sale and my throw is way off too. I had a W1070 and a ht2550 previously mounted in the same spot with no problems. I thought I would have to move my mount, but I guess I need to send it back to BenQ.
The HT2550 and W1070 have a tiny overlap (W1070 full zoom = Ht2550 full WA) but the HT3550 has no overlap with the HT2550:

https://www.projectorcentral.com/Ben...ulator-pro.htm

as least according to the above.
post #4568 of 5346 Old 09-10-2019, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Law007316 View Post
If you also have the large light border then you and everyone else that has it have been misled (I had a refurb that had it as well, I sent it back).

One of the main aspects of the 3550 was that it claimed to have the new improved TI DMD that mostly eliminated the light border (current 02-103 builds appear to have the much smaller border).

I am speculating that many of the early units had the larger light border and people are simply not aware, or maybe something is being done on the refurbished units that BenQ has not commented on (perhaps using the older DMD since they are the same size).

The refurbished 3550's seem to be 'different' from what they should be (based upon what we are discovering here).

- Jason
theagent likes this.

post #4569 of 5346 Old 09-10-2019, 10:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Just played a little Gears 5. It looked really nice and I tried to record a video for YouTube but my camera settings were off and I was getting horizontal purple lines in the recording. Ugh.
Will have to fiddle with my phone settings(LG G8) to see which produce a somewhat accurate depiction of what I'm seeing.
post #4570 of 5346 Old 09-10-2019, 10:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Unbelievably, my new unit that I've had for a single day just died. I was less than an hour into watching a movie and it just went black. Power supply must have died because there are no lights on the unit. Tried a different plug and different outlet and surge protector. It's dead.

I'm absolutely floored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post
If you also have the large light border then you and everyone else that has it have been misled (I had a refurb that had it as well, I sent it back).

One of the main aspects of the 3550 was that it claimed to have the new improved TI DMD that mostly eliminated the light border (current 02-103 builds appear to have the much smaller border).

I am speculating that many of the early units had the larger light border and people are simply not aware, or maybe something is being done on the refurbished units that BenQ has not commented on (perhaps using the older DMD since they are the same size).

The refurbished 3550's seem to be 'different' from what they should be (based upon what we are discovering here).

- Jason

I think you may be on to something with them having used the older DMD.

I just hooked my old unit back up after this new one just died. Went back to watching the movie I was in the middle of and it looks very different. It's actually brighter and the colors are better, there's also no blur, but 4k doesn't look 4k, and that huge light border, and throw that's way off. 1080p content looks better on this old one though.
post #4571 of 5346 Old 09-10-2019, 11:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Still waiting for video to ramp up to 4k but here's some Gears 5

Last edited by subacabra; 09-11-2019 at 12:17 AM.
post #4572 of 5346 Old 09-11-2019, 08:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 212 Post(s)
Quoted: 2896 Post(s)
Liked: 2909
Quote:
Originally Posted by subacabra View Post
Still waiting for video to ramp up to 4k but here's some Gears 5
https://youtu.be/SRjuAc9L4EM
https://youtu.be/gRIxzIdln0E

Looks great!

I have one off topic question for you: how are the micro transactions? Gears 4 really turned me off with all the loot box nonsense.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
post #4573 of 5346 Old 09-11-2019, 09:31 AM

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Got my 3550 earlier this week (it is a July build) and was finally able to watch some movies on it. I have a HT1075 in a Chief universal ceiling mount but I wanted to make sure the 3550 worked before going through the work swapping them out so I just set it on a card table behind the couch.

I've got a 115" Seymour AT screen with seating distance of 10' (and PJ mounting location around 9'10") in a dedicated completely light controlled theater room. This is the first 4k projector I've watched so I have nothing to compare it to. I bought Bumblebee and Dark Crystal since I read that Dark Crystal was one of the better 4k discs for picture quality. I guess I'm disappointed in that I was expecting more of a difference from my old projector and perhaps that's just unrealistic expectations on my part.

I mean it looked good but I was expecting to be floored. As far as issues with the PJ itself there was clicking when I switched between the modes or turned HDR on/off on my Oppo 203 but I'm assuming that's normal since it's the filters moving. I was switching through all the modes to find which combo looked best. It would go black for a couple seconds when I switched between certain modes before coming back on. Once it came back on though there was no clicking or flickering or anything unusual when I was actually watching the movies. Fan noise was quiet and I didn't notice any fan speed changes....given the temp setup where the PJ was literally 1.5 feet behind my head and about 8 inches above my ears I thought that was real good. I'm really hoping there's no issues with the throw distance being inconsistent since my HT1075 is near the limits of it's throw range and the 3550's reported near identical throw range and lens shift is is specifically why I chose it. No other reasonably priced 4k projector will work at my throw distance/screen size. I will say that I think I like the lens shift adjuster better on the 1075 (where it's a screw) vs. the wheel on the 3550 which seemed real stiff....seems like the screw lends itself better to small precise adjustments without tweaking the PJ's orientation in the mount. I'm going out of town this weekend so I won't get to mount it till next week but I'm really hoping I don't have any issues.

As far as HDR I actually thought it made Dark Crystal look a little worse....colors seemed over saturated (especially inside the Skesis castle where it's got a purple glow from the crystal) and detail suffered. Hopefully this is just something where I need to play around with the settings more to get things dialed in. On the settings the only thing I really moved around was Gamma (seemed to look best at 2.3). Maybe I need to get one of those calibration discs. I also didn't notice any Chromatic Aberration issues. I didn't notice any white light border issues while trying to position the PJ and couldn't really tell/notice about curved corners. Since the PJ was just on a card table I wasn't really able (granted I didn't try too hard) to get things perfectly squared up with the screen. I just got them close and then to fill the screen completely i increased the size so the image was spilling about a 0.5 to an 1" or so image border that disappeared in the velvet frame of my screen.

Again the picture looked good but not as good as I was hoping. I've been looking to get a 4k projector for the past year so maybe I was just building up the idea of 4k in my mind too much and the difference between that and 1080p at my screen size/seating distance was never going to be as drastic as I was hoping. I've ordered some BBC nature docs (Dynasties and Earth) which should be the best source material there is so we'll see how those look on it.
post #4574 of 5346 Old 09-11-2019, 10:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

BenQ W2700 / HT3550 Announcement and Owner’s Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Strike View Post
Got my 3550 earlier this week (it is a July build) and was finally able to watch some movies on it. I have a HT1075 in a Chief universal ceiling mount but I wanted to make sure the 3550 worked before going through the work swapping them out so I just set it on a card table behind the couch.

I've got a 115" Seymour AT screen with seating distance of 10' (and PJ mounting location around 9'10") in a dedicated completely light controlled theater room. This is the first 4k projector I've watched so I have nothing to compare it to. I bought Bumblebee and Dark Crystal since I read that Dark Crystal was one of the better 4k discs for picture quality. I guess I'm disappointed in that I was expecting more of a difference from my old projector and perhaps that's just unrealistic expectations on my part.

I mean it looked good but I was expecting to be floored. As far as issues with the PJ itself there was clicking when I switched between the modes or turned HDR on/off on my Oppo 203 but I'm assuming that's normal since it's the filters moving. I was switching through all the modes to find which combo looked best. It would go black for a couple seconds when I switched between certain modes before coming back on. Once it came back on though there was no clicking or flickering or anything unusual when I was actually watching the movies. Fan noise was quiet and I didn't notice any fan speed changes....given the temp setup where the PJ was literally 1.5 feet behind my head and about 8 inches above my ears I thought that was real good. I'm really hoping there's no issues with the throw distance being inconsistent since my HT1075 is near the limits of it's throw range and the 3550's reported near identical throw range and lens shift is is specifically why I chose it. No other reasonably priced 4k projector will work at my throw distance/screen size. I will say that I think I like the lens shift adjuster better on the 1075 (where it's a screw) vs. the wheel on the 3550 which seemed real stiff....seems like the screw lends itself better to small precise adjustments without tweaking the PJ's orientation in the mount. I'm going out of town this weekend so I won't get to mount it till next week but I'm really hoping I don't have any issues.

As far as HDR I actually thought it made Dark Crystal look a little worse....colors seemed over saturated (especially inside the Skesis castle where it's got a purple glow from the crystal) and detail suffered. Hopefully this is just something where I need to play around with the settings more to get things dialed in. On the settings the only thing I really moved around was Gamma (seemed to look best at 2.3). Maybe I need to get one of those calibration discs. I also didn't notice any Chromatic Aberration issues. I didn't notice any white light border issues while trying to position the PJ and couldn't really tell/notice about curved corners. Since the PJ was just on a card table I wasn't really able (granted I didn't try too hard) to get things perfectly squared up with the screen. I just got them close and then to fill the screen completely i increased the size so the image was spilling about a 0.5 to an 1" or so image border that disappeared in the velvet frame of my screen.

Again the picture looked good but not as good as I was hoping. I've been looking to get a 4k projector for the past year so maybe I was just building up the idea of 4k in my mind too much and the difference between that and 1080p at my screen size/seating distance was never going to be as drastic as I was hoping. I've ordered some BBC nature docs (Dynasties and Earth) which should be the best source material there is so we'll see how those look on it.

Try going back to 1080p now.

In all seriousness, I had the same general feeling when I first went to a 4K projector 2 years ago. I was sort of like: it’s sharper but not THAT sharp. Then I went back to my 1080p projector and, holy chunky pixels Batman, 1080p looked much lower resolution than It did before.

It’s weird, I’ve done this numerous times with numerous guests. I show them 1080p. Looks great. Show them 4K. Maybe looks a little better. Then I go back to 1080p. Woah, that looks WORSE than it did 5 minutes ago. There is probably a psychological / physiological reason for this but I’m not sure what it is.

My absolute favorite demonstration for this is the Planet Earth II Blu-ray versus the 4K Blu-ray. I happen to own both.

Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

post #4575 of 5346 Old 09-11-2019, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
Try going back to 1080p now.

In all seriousness, I had the same general feeling when I first went to a 4K projector 2 years ago. I was sort of like: it’s sharper but not THAT sharp. Then I went back to my 1080p projector and, holy chunky pixels Batman, 1080p looked much lower resolution than It did before.

It’s weird, I’ve done this numerous times with numerous guests. I show them 1080p. Looks great. Show them 4K. Maybe looks a little better. Then I go back to 1080p. Woah, that looks WORSE than it did 5 minutes ago. There is probably a psychological / physiological reason for this but I’m not sure what it is.

My absolute favorite demonstration for this is the Planet Earth II Blu-ray versus the 4K Blu-ray. I happen to own both.
Yeah I figured this was likely the case rather than something wrong with the PJ itself. When I get Dynasties/Earth in the mail I'll have to do to the switch from 1080p to 4k back to 1080p test since those documentaries should be the same picture quality as Planet Earth II and the 4k set come with the 4k and regular blu ray discs.
post #4576 of 5346 Old 09-11-2019, 11:43 AM

Actually the 4K versus 1080p comparison comes down to the specific models/samples used and the other equipment in the chain, a blanket statement cannot be made (other than maybe when it comes to the high end native 4K models).

I have done a split screen comparison with my HW45ES/HT3550 and (as I stated previously) I was surprised by the outcome on certain aspects of the image.

I currently have what I consider to be a 3550 that is likely about as good as these units get and yet the 45ES pretty much beats it in every single category other than color (when using WCG on the 3550, the 45ES is limited to rec709).

I was expecting the 4K 'resolution' advantage to be obvious, not only was it not obvious but my 45ES + Darbee combo actually resolves more detail in the image than the 3550 (honestly this outcome was unexpected).

If you then throw a Panasonic UB820 (or 9000) UHD player into the mix these comparisons can get even more interesting (I did). The HDMI optimizer function, advanced tone mapping and level of adjustment in these players is pretty incredible (giving each projector an advantage over it's native ability).

- Jason

post #4577 of 5346 Old 09-11-2019, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbunnysoulja View Post
Glad to hear it. Mine is also Silver Ticket 150" 1.1 gain (STR-169150-WAB). I'm deciding on color for the walls and ceiling. My front wall is essentially the entire screen.

This will definitely be a really tight fit based on offset. Unless I'm missing something, I need the center lens 6" from the top of the ceiling, as the top of the screen is 77" from the ground and my sloping ceiling in the middle of the room is 83".
I'm a little late to reply but I have almost the exact same screen except mine is the thin bezel version of the acoustically transparent screen. I'm using the STT-169150-WAB 150" with the HT3550 in a mostly light controlled room with white ceilings. My walls are a dark paint called cracked pepper from home depot in matte finish. I find the amount of light while using the projector in eco mode to be fine so far. I haven't yet treated my floors or finished the small light bleed from the curtains but even with those two unfinished items, it looks great with plenty of light. My main viewing location is about 11-12 feet back from the screen for reference.

I used the Peerless-AV PRGS-UNV projector mount which was the smallest height I knew of at the time at 6.4". Maybe that might help with your ceiling height.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190907_171529.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	241.1 KB
ID:	2614086  
post #4578 of 5346 Old 09-11-2019, 01:16 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
How does the HT3550 do with live sports that isn't coming in at 4K, like from something like YouTube TV? Former W1070 owner, would picture be the same quality as that projector was? I do have a dedicated room with no outside light. Thanks.
sage11x likes this.
post #4579 of 5346 Old 09-11-2019, 01:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by handruin View Post
Quote:
Glad to hear it. Mine is also Silver Ticket 150" 1.1 gain (STR-169150-WAB). I'm deciding on color for the walls and ceiling. My front wall is essentially the entire screen.

This will definitely be a really tight fit based on offset. Unless I'm missing something, I need the center lens 6" from the top of the ceiling, as the top of the screen is 77" from the ground and my sloping ceiling in the middle of the room is 83".
I'm a little late to reply but I have almost the exact same screen except mine is the thin bezel version of the acoustically transparent screen. I'm using the STT-169150-WAB 150" with the HT3550 in a mostly light controlled room with white ceilings. My walls are a dark paint called cracked pepper from home depot in matte finish. I find the amount of light while using the projector in eco mode to be fine so far. I haven't yet treated my floors or finished the small light bleed from the curtains but even with those two unfinished items, it looks great with plenty of light. My main viewing location is about 11-12 feet back from the screen for reference.

I used the Peerless-AV PRGS-UNV projector mount which was the smallest height I knew of at the time at 6.4". Maybe that might help with your ceiling height.
You are awesome, this helps a lot. Thank you. I'm going to give the 3550 a shot.
post #4580 of 5346 Old 09-11-2019, 01:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Strike View Post
Yeah I figured this was likely the case rather than something wrong with the PJ itself. When I get Dynasties/Earth in the mail I'll have to do to the switch from 1080p to 4k back to 1080p test since those documentaries should be the same picture quality as Planet Earth II and the 4k set come with the 4k and regular blu ray discs.

Check out the racer snake scene on PE2 in both 1080p and 4K. The difference is INSANE. I’ve likened this to going from an old smart phone to a new smart phone and then trying to go back— you never realized how slow and low-res your old phone was until you’ve lived with the new phone for a while.

Obviously, I’m not saying 1080p is bad or that someone shouldn’t enjoy a 1080p display. Quite the contrary— I continue to recommend 1080p projectors for those on a budget or for gamers. 1080p DLPs in particular are some of the best console gaming displays you can buy right now. But once you get used to 4K it’s very difficult to go back.

The Ht3550 is a ‘step up’ from entry level 4K projector. DaGamePimp makes a good point comparing it to the Sony 45Es above and that’s a fair comparison as there is maybe only $500 separating them in price. But in another way it’s NOT a fair comparison because the 4K equivalent to the 45ES is the $5000 295ES. It’s hard to remember now but just a little over two years ago there were zero 4K projectors for less than 10K! We’ve come a long way really quickly.

post #4581 of 5346 Old 09-11-2019, 01:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donpdowell View Post
How does the HT3550 do with live sports that isn't coming in at 4K, like from something like YouTube TV? Former W1070 owner, would picture be the same quality as that projector was? I do have a dedicated room with no outside light. Thanks.

Motion is really good on the Ht3550 and it has 4K MEMC (frame insertion / smoothing) if you like that feature.

post #4582 of 5346 Old 09-11-2019, 01:42 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 32

If you have fire stick or chromecast or other device that does youtube hdr, then search youtube for “hdr” and choose the Costa Rica video...really shows off the colors and the clarity you get with this compared to the 1070.
sage11x likes this.
post #4583 of 5346 Old 09-11-2019, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Check out the racer snake scene on PE2 in both 1080p and 4K. The difference is INSANE. I’ve likened this to going from an old smart phone to a new smart phone and then trying to go back— you never realized how slow and low-res your old phone was until you’ve lived with the new phone for a while.

Obviously, I’m not saying 1080p is bad or that someone shouldn’t enjoy a 1080p display. Quite the contrary— I continue to recommend 1080p projectors for those on a budget or for gamers. 1080p DLPs in particular are some of the best console gaming displays you can buy right now. But once you get used to 4K it’s very difficult to go back.

The Ht3550 is a ‘step up’ from entry level 4K projector. DaGamePimp makes a good point comparing it to the Sony 45Es above and that’s a fair comparison as there is maybe only $500 separating them in price. But in another way it’s NOT a fair comparison because the 4K equivalent to the 45ES is the $5000 295ES. It’s hard to remember now but just a little over two years ago there were zero 4K projectors for less than 10K! We’ve come a long way really quickly.

I've already got PE2 on regular bluray but I'll probably have to end up buying it on UHD too. For my particular room the 3550 is basically the only 4k projector that would work (at least that I know of) for me since I have such a short throw distance requirement...10' max on a 115" screen. Utilities in the ceiling prevented me from mounting my PJ any further back.

When we buy a new place in a couple years and I get to build out a new theater then I'll get something higher end with a motorized lens shift/focus so I can easily swap between 2.35 and 16:9. In the meantime though (as long as it holds up) this should fit my needs.
post #4584 of 5346 Old 09-11-2019, 02:47 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Hi everyone,

I wanted to ask some questions too as I purchased this apparently nice little projector a week and a half ago, but some elements seem odd to me, especially after reading you all.

1 - As mentioned before, I feel like the light border is still quite present, even if not crazy visible from a distance. Mine is about 3cm long on each side (see photo - https://imgur.com/GNPlBEd)

2 - The buzzing when the 4K is active is... intense. It's not present when I switch the "silence" mode ON, and I believe it is indeed the DLP / mirror thingy doing its work... but it's not silent. Using the very basic and surely not fully reliable "Sound Meter" App on my Android phone, it gives me 55db on top of the proj on average, 45db in listening position (where I sit to watch the movie). But it's more the nature of the noise which is a bit nerve wracking. I'm gonna go through the thread again, but does this feel "normal" to you?

3 - I haven't had many bugs, but one time I had the split screen bug mentioned in this topic. One half was dimmer than the other. It was suddenly, in the middle of a film. I switched sources on my amp and it was gone. Otherwise in 20H+ of usage this never happened. It was SHAFT on Netflix.

EDIT - I just played the Netflix trailer of "The Spy" which gave the same split-screen issue.

FYI it's a JULY 2019 unit, Firmware 1.0.2, Rev 02-103.

Otherwise, I'm pretty happy with the image which is indeed miles better than my 1070. For fun I plugged it again right after (although having a fairly new bulb) and I was struck by the difference. As Sage11x mentions, it is indeed hard to go back.

My 14 day return period expires on Monday so I'm trying to identify everything pretty quickly if I "need" to return the unit. Which would be a shame as I really enjoy it, although the noise is a bit annoying...

Thanks a lot for your opinion!
sage11x likes this.

Last edited by QCarb; 09-12-2019 at 02:28 AM.
post #4585 of 5346 Old 09-11-2019, 03:32 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
You are awesome, this helps a lot. Thank you. I'm going to give the 3550 a shot.
So far I'm really happy with this projector. A few things I've noticed in the week or so I've been playing with it is that there is a bit of noticeable chromatic aberration at the screen, but I cannot see it from my seating position. My projector happens to be mounted just about overhead of my main seating position and in quiet scenes I can hear the fan running. I am considering building a box around it with some sound deadening material and I'll add my own larger fans to pull air through at a slower RPM. I've also had some oddities with HDR and Netflix, specifically watching Stranger Things 3. The colors were very blown out when HDR switched on. I ended up disabling it and it looked much better. I'm not sure if that's a Netflix issue, a projector issue, my Marantz AV7705, or my Nvidia Shield device. I'll have to work through the chain and see if I can figure it out so I can't claim it's the HT3550 yet (or at all).

Otherwise I've been very happy with this Silver Ticket 150" screen and the Benq HT3550 projector for the money. I haven't even added the black fabric backing to the screen yet that comes with it and it's been great. I can only guess that stepping up to a higher end Sony or JVC would greatly improve the black levels but for the money and picture size, this is really good. I have three Emotiva T2's for my LCR and PSA 15" sealed sub behind the screen and having them imaged through the screen has been fantastic. Here is picture of the rough setup with my screen frame open.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190905_185057.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	22.6 KB
ID:	2614166  
sage11x likes this.
post #4586 of 5346 Old 09-11-2019, 06:17 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:

But it's ok to compare the 3550 with a 1080p model that cost half as much..?

The 45ES has been under $1800 new for a while so there's generally only been a $300 difference (since the release of the 3550).

What do you suppose would happen if we compared the BenQ 9060 with the 45ES, the end result might not be what many of us would assume (just like what I experienced with the 45ES vs 3550).

There are several other factors that would negate your 'not a fair comparison' but my point was simply that a blanket statement is not accurate when it comes to 4K vs 1080p.

- Jason

post #4587 of 5346 Old 09-12-2019, 07:05 AM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Actually the 4K versus 1080p comparison comes down to the specific models/samples used and the other equipment in the chain, a blanket statement cannot be made (other than maybe when it comes to the high end native 4K models).

I have done a split screen comparison with my HW45ES/HT3550 and (as I stated previously) I was surprised by the outcome on certain aspects of the image.

I currently have what I consider to be a 3550 that is likely about as good as these units get and yet the 45ES pretty much beats it in every single category other than color (when using WCG on the 3550, the 45ES is limited to rec709).

I was expecting the 4K 'resolution' advantage to be obvious, not only was it not obvious but my 45ES + Darbee combo actually resolves more detail in the image than the 3550 (honestly this outcome was unexpected).

If you then throw a Panasonic UB820 (or 9000) UHD player into the mix these comparisons can get even more interesting (I did). The HDMI optimizer function, advanced tone mapping and level of adjustment in these players is pretty incredible (giving each projector an advantage over it's native ability).

- Jason
Interesting, I had my w1085st with and it certainly improved with the Darbee, indeed not in the same league as the 45ES, I wonder about comparing them without the Darbee?
- I've sold the Darbee not the PJ the w2700 is better in all to the w1085st but I am not able anymore to add the Darbee to the comparison.
sage11x likes this.
post #4588 of 5346 Old 09-12-2019, 08:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
But it's ok to compare the 3550 with a 1080p model that cost half as much..?

The 45ES has been under $1800 new for a while so there's generally only been a $300 difference (since the release of the 3550).

What do you suppose would happen if we compared the BenQ 9060 with the 45ES, the end result might not be what many of us would assume (just like what I experienced with the 45ES vs 3550).

There are several other factors that would negate your 'not a fair comparison' but my point was simply that a blanket statement is not accurate when it comes to 4K vs 1080p.

- Jason

Oh I’m not arguing with you. I said in terms of price it’s a comparable projector. But if you are comparing 4K projectors then the cheapest one Sony sells is $5000. Weighing whether or not to stick with 1080p or go 4K is something everyone should do when shopping in this price range. The fact is the HT3550 is an entry level 4K projector. The Sony is what I would call, at this point, a mid to high end 1080p projector (considering the selection of 1080p only models is getting really thin above $1000). Is it fair to compare a mid range 1080p to an entry level 4K? Yes, absolutely it is if the price is comparable. But my point is, if you want contrast/blacks as good as the Sony 45ES and you ALSO want 4K you need to jump to the 295ES which is $5000.

Also, you have to understand I’m NOT a fan of the darbee. I’m not a fan of any of these ‘super’ resolution sharpening algorithms. I tested a darbee with the intention of doing a review on it and decided to return the item and just keep my mouth shut. Everyone has their preferences and I would not begrudge anyone for liking what they like but IMO the darbee is solution in search of a problem. As for your assessment of the Sony 45ES. I’ve spent time with the 45ES and had it fit in my room I would have bought one. The 45ES is not as sharp as my old 1080p BenQ 2050, my BenQ HT3550 is loads sharper than my BenQ 2050. Since I don’t like the darbee and don’t find what it does to be beneficial, in MY opinion, the HT3550 is absolutely sharper than the Sony while the Sony has discernibly better contrast. This is the age old DLP vs LCOS discussion that we all know and love. Each has their strengths and weaknesses.

Last edited by sage11x; 09-12-2019 at 08:56 AM.
post #4589 of 5346 Old 09-12-2019, 08:53 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 32

Are you comparing 4K source vs 1080 source or 1080 vs 1080

If doing 1080 on ht3550 vs 1080+darbee on good 1080 projector then I would think you’d see more detail on 1080+darbee

But 4K Costa Rica hdr video on YouTube via ht3550 vs same video on 1080+darbee the ht3550 will have more clarity and detail.

At least coming from 1070+darbee to ht3550, watching 4K source on ht3550 is night and day clearer than 1080 source on 1070+darbee...and then of course the colors and black levels etc

There is just no way a 1080 source on 1080 projector can be clearer or have more detail than 4K source on ht3550
sage11x likes this.
post #4590 of 5346 Old 09-12-2019, 09:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCarb View Post
Hi everyone,

I wanted to ask some questions too as I purchased this apparently nice little projector a week and a half ago, but some elements seem odd to me, especially after reading you all.

1 - As mentioned before, I feel like the light border is still quite present, even if not crazy visible from a distance. Mine is about 3cm long on each side (see photo - https://imgur.com/GNPlBEd)

2 - The buzzing when the 4K is active is... intense. It's not present when I switch the "silence" mode ON, and I believe it is indeed the DLP / mirror thingy doing its work... but it's not silent. Using the very basic and surely not fully reliable "Sound Meter" App on my Android phone, it gives me 55db on top of the proj on average, 45db in listening position (where I sit to watch the movie). But it's more the nature of the noise which is a bit nerve wracking. I'm gonna go through the thread again, but does this feel "normal" to you?

3 - I haven't had many bugs, but one time I had the split screen bug mentioned in this topic. One half was dimmer than the other. It was suddenly, in the middle of a film. I switched sources on my amp and it was gone. Otherwise in 20H+ of usage this never happened. It was SHAFT on Netflix.

EDIT - I just played the Netflix trailer of "The Spy" which gave the same split-screen issue.

FYI it's a JULY 2019 unit, Firmware 1.0.2, Rev 02-103.

Otherwise, I'm pretty happy with the image which is indeed miles better than my 1070. For fun I plugged it again right after (although having a fairly new bulb) and I was struck by the difference. As Sage11x mentions, it is indeed hard to go back.

My 14 day return period expires on Monday so I'm trying to identify everything pretty quickly if I "need" to return the unit. Which would be a shame as I really enjoy it, although the noise is a bit annoying...

Thanks a lot for your opinion!

1. There is still a slim strip of unused light around even the new DMDs. That’s normal. Maybe we should say the border is massively reduced and not eliminated. For me, the border is so small around my 100” screen that my relatively small felt border soaks it up. This is in sharp contrast to the first gen 4K DLPs which has a strip several inches wide— around my 100” screen the border on the HT2550 was around 4-5 inches and would easily over shoot my screen and land on my wall.

2. This is more an issue with the HT3550’s compact, wide open chassis than it is the actuator. All pixel shifters buzz to one degree or another but the larger the chassis the better you can insulate the noise. BenQ’s own HT5550 is much quieter with the same basic hardware. Again, the HT3550 represents a fairly massive improvement over the first generation projectors so you can imagine how loud they were.

3. What you’re seeing is related to the color filter. If the issue persists I might recommend contacting BenQ (the unit has a 3 year warranty). Unfortunately I have not experienced this myself.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page