BenQ W2700 / HT3550 Announcement and Owner’s Thread - Page 154 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2845Likes

post #4591 of 5043 Old 09-12-2019, 01:39 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 638 Post(s)
Liked: 665
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
Oh I’m not arguing with you. I said in terms of price it’s a comparable projector. But if you are comparing 4K projectors then the cheapest one Sony sells is $5000. Weighing whether or not to stick with 1080p or go 4K is something everyone should do when shopping in this price range. The fact is the HT3550 is an entry level 4K projector. The Sony is what I would call, at this point, a mid to high end 1080p projector (considering the selection of 1080p only models is getting really thin above $1000). Is it fair to compare a mid range 1080p to an entry level 4K? Yes, absolutely it is if the price is comparable. But my point is, if you want contrast/blacks as good as the Sony 45ES and you ALSO want 4K you need to jump to the 295ES which is $5000.

Also, you have to understand I’m NOT a fan of the darbee. I’m not a fan of any of these ‘super’ resolution sharpening algorithms. I tested a darbee with the intention of doing a review on it and decided to return the item and just keep my mouth shut. Everyone has their preferences and I would not begrudge anyone for liking what they like but IMO the darbee is solution in search of a problem. As for your assessment of the Sony 45ES. I’ve spent time with the 45ES and had it fit in my room I would have bought one. The 45ES is not as sharp as my old 1080p BenQ 2050, my BenQ HT3550 is loads sharper than my BenQ 2050. Since I don’t like the darbee and don’t find what it does to be beneficial, in MY opinion, the HT3550 is absolutely sharper than the Sony while the Sony has discernibly better contrast. This is the age old DLP vs LCOS discussion that we all know and love. Each has their strengths and weaknesses.
Absolutely, nothing to argue here, just a friendly discussion.

It seems what I am saying has been taken out of context, I did not say 'sharpness', I said the 45ES was resolving more detail in the image (which as I stated was an unexpected outcome). The 45ES is not what one would consider a data grade projector, but to be perfectly honest neither is the 3550. The Sony actually offers much more uniform focus and it is nice and tight, it appears to be a more refined lens than the 3550 and has a more cinematic leaning image (much like the old Panasonic LCD projectors). Of course part of the difference is simply the tech in use (SXRD/LCOS & DLP), they have a different 'look'.

Obviously the 45ES is in another league when it comes to contrast/black level, that was a given before any comparison and has nothing to do with my honest critique of the 3550 (I knew that before jumping in).

The biggest failure of the 3550 (other than the number of problem units) is it's lens. I have owned many of the new XPR models and had others in my home (that friends/family own), the 3550 is easily the least sharp of the bunch and also exhibits the most CA (based upon what has been discussed in this thread and my own experience with three samples). While the multi-segment lens may offer improvements in other areas it simply fails to fully resolve all the detail that the XPR DMD is capable of (again based upon what other XPR units have accomplished).

As a video purist that has been viewing calibrated displays for 20+ years and doing pro-level calibrations for ~8 years the Darbee when properly adjusted for each display simply is not an obtrusive device, it's a refinement of the image that does not alter the directors intent when used in moderation. If one does not want to see the maximum potential of a given display then be sure to stay away from the current Panasonic UHD players (UB820/9000).

As I stated, some of the results of my split-screen comparison were unexpected even though I have owned the 45ES for over a year and have had many other XPR based units. If you have not done this type of comparison (left/right lens split) then your eyes/memory just might be playing tricks on you.

- Jason

HT = Epson HC3800 - BenQ HT3550 - Sony HW45ES @133" / Marantz SR6013 7.3.4 Atmos / B&K 5000 II amp / Boston VR2/VR12/CR67 speakers / Rythmik 12" x2 / CV 15" / Panasonic UB820
Media Room = Sony 65x930e / Denon x3300 /Klipsch speakers /Velodyne subs /Sony x700 /PS4 Pro + PSVR/WiiU/PS3/360/Wii/ 2080 TI - 9900K PC / Multi-Arcade / Virtual Pinball TRE45ON
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4592 of 5043 Old 09-12-2019, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastrabbit19 View Post
Are you comparing 4K source vs 1080 source or 1080 vs 1080

If doing 1080 on ht3550 vs 1080+darbee on good 1080 projector then I would think you’d see more detail on 1080+darbee

But 4K Costa Rica hdr video on YouTube via ht3550 vs same video on 1080+darbee the ht3550 will have more clarity and detail.

At least coming from 1070+darbee to ht3550, watching 4K source on ht3550 is night and day clearer than 1080 source on 1070+darbee...and then of course the colors and black levels etc

There is just no way a 1080 source on 1080 projector can be clearer or have more detail than 4K source on ht3550

What I am discussing is 4K source material on both units.

I have viewed the Costa Rica HDR video many times on many displays, it's a nice video. Try the LG Oled Sydney video if you want to test your intra-scene contrast.

What you are missing is that the Sony has 3-4x the native contrast of the BenQ so High Dynamic Range material actually looks more convincing on the Sony* (even though it's not HDR ready, which is all any of the projectors actually are as no consumer projector has the nits/contrast to do HDR1000 let alone HDR4000).

* As long as you have a device with good tone mapping (HDR to SDR conversion).

- Jason
NxNW likes this.

HT = Epson HC3800 - BenQ HT3550 - Sony HW45ES @133" / Marantz SR6013 7.3.4 Atmos / B&K 5000 II amp / Boston VR2/VR12/CR67 speakers / Rythmik 12" x2 / CV 15" / Panasonic UB820
Media Room = Sony 65x930e / Denon x3300 /Klipsch speakers /Velodyne subs /Sony x700 /PS4 Pro + PSVR/WiiU/PS3/360/Wii/ 2080 TI - 9900K PC / Multi-Arcade / Virtual Pinball TRE45ON

Last edited by DaGamePimp; 09-12-2019 at 01:53 PM.
post #4593 of 5043 Old 09-12-2019, 03:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 206 Post(s)
Quoted: 2808 Post(s)
Liked: 2830
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post
Absolutely, nothing to argue here, just a friendly discussion.

It seems what I am saying has been taken out of context, I did not say 'sharpness', I said the 45ES was resolving more detail in the image (which as I stated was an unexpected outcome). The 45ES is not what one would consider a data grade projector, but to be perfectly honest neither is the 3550. The Sony actually offers much more uniform focus and it is nice and tight, it appears to be a more refined lens than the 3550 and has a more cinematic leaning image (much like the old Panasonic LCD projectors). Of course part of the difference is simply the tech in use (SXRD/LCOS & DLP), they have a different 'look'.

Obviously the 45ES is in another league when it comes to contrast/black level, that was a given before any comparison and has nothing to do with my honest critique of the 3550 (I knew that before jumping in).

The biggest failure of the 3550 (other than the number of problem units) is it's lens. I have owned many of the new XPR models and had others in my home (that friends/family own), the 3550 is easily the least sharp of the bunch and also exhibits the most CA (based upon what has been discussed in this thread and my own experience with three samples). While the multi-segment lens may offer improvements in other areas it simply fails to fully resolve all the detail that the XPR DMD is capable of (again based upon what other XPR units have accomplished).

As a video purist that has been viewing calibrated displays for 20+ years and doing pro-level calibrations for ~8 years the Darbee when properly adjusted for each display simply is not an obtrusive device, it's a refinement of the image that does not alter the directors intent when used in moderation. If one does not want to see the maximum potential of a given display then be sure to stay away from the current Panasonic UHD players (UB820/9000).

As I stated, some of the results of my split-screen comparison were unexpected even though I have owned the 45ES for over a year and have had many other XPR based units. If you have not done this type of comparison (left/right lens split) then your eyes/memory just might be playing tricks on you.

- Jason

For sure!

Yeah I have to respectively disagree. My Ht3550 resolves WAY more detail than any 1080p projector I’ve seen. Now, given enough space between your eyeballs and the screen you could make the argument that the impact of 4K is lessened. Sit back far enough and the unit with the better contrast should appear more detailed... this would give the advantage to the Sony. But sit where you should to have an immersive image— the difference is night and day in favor of the Ht3550 (IMO).

You mention the Sony + Darbee. IMO, what the darbee does is exaggerate the image. You can simulate that effect on the BenQ by pegging the 4K pixel enhancer feature. The BenQ has literally 6 million more pixels than the Sony— there is no way you shouldn’t be seeing more detail with it. Again, not knocking the Sony. But 4K has a massive amount more data.
DaGamePimp likes this.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4594 of 5043 Old 09-12-2019, 03:12 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 54
How will it fair against the upcoming Epson HC3800, or 3200?
https://epson.com/For-Home/Projector...R/p/V11H959020

Living Room: Samsung UN65JS8500,Onkyo TX-NR676,Klipsch R-28F,Klipsch RC-62II,Klipsch R-14S,Polk Audio 80 FX/RT(Atmos)
Bedroom: Samsung UN55MU6290,Onkyo TX-RZ610,Onkyo & Fluance speakers
Garage: Epson 5040UB,Elite Screens 125" motorized screen,2xKlipsch RP-160M,4xKlipsch RP-150M,Klipsch RP-450C ,2xKlipsch CDT-3800II-Atmos,Klipsch R115SW,Klipsch R110SW
post #4595 of 5043 Old 09-12-2019, 05:24 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Good question.

The arrival of more and more products like these seems to show there is demand for a paradoxical device that does not exist: something that can cheaply make really large 4K HDR images that can be seen in normal (non-blacked-out) rooms.

4K HDR is a hit with flat panel purchasers, and now many want to see if they can find a way to get the same experience, in the same untreated room, at the same price point. There is currently no such device, but that's not going to stop manufacturers from selling things that claim to get close.

Demanding images greater than 85 inches diagonal means you have to use a projector. Yet projection technology IMMEDIATELY BRINGS YOU INTO CONFLICT with the ability to show a *viewable* image (let's define this as 10:1 contrast ratio) in an untreated room in daytime, let alone HDR any time (which is *literally defined* as requiring certain absolute light levels emanating from the screen and as a practical matter requires around 400 nits, which gets you close enough to the 1000 or 4000 nit levels used in mastering that you could use tone mapping to get a plausible HDR experience). We probably saw a lot of people try to pursue this Quest for Size over the flat panel / projector divide when 1080p HD was new, with many experiencing the same predictable disappointments, but HDR is making the gulf between the two even more difficult to leap.

So now, however impossible the challenge, we are going to see more and more stylish looking (white colored!) boxes that *accept* the same HDR signal from all the sources that were working so well on your OLED TV and attempt to scale the results up to something super-sized while not actually *being* HDR or having any chance of even coming close to current flat panel image quality in a normal living room with the lights on.

The above is a general rant about the state of the marketplace, true, but my specific claim pertinent to this thread is: BenQ had this segment all to itself for a year.

The one thing no one disputes in this thread is that the bundle of technical capabilities offered by the HT3550 has created a never-before-seen value proposition at its price point. If you wanted to check as many boxes as this product checked for less than 2 grand, there has been only one game in town.

BenQ may or may not have capitalized on this temporary monopoly.

Indeed, one gets the feeling that they may have bungled it a bit. They saw the demand (good for them), and they rushed a product out the door to meet it (good for us, or at least some of us). The machine can and does work for many, and it gets good reviews. But I haven't quite gotten the feeling that the door has been pre-emptively slammed shut on the competition.

Whatever first-mover advantage they had for this product cycle is ending, and soon the other entrants in this space will be arriving. It's back to business as usual I guess.
post #4596 of 5043 Old 09-13-2019, 12:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 65
As always 'first' anything means some issues due to being first and a very short lead time before the competition catches up or surpasses the original and quite often the early adopters pay a premium for being the first to own - however, as long as you go into the purchase with your eyes wide open and your research done you should be satisfied (as long as you are not unlucky enough to get a lemon!)

I purchased the Benq based on my previous models and the (at the time) crazy price point for an entry level 4K unit and have not been disappointed - I was I believe one of the first UK owners and had the original split screen issues before the firmware fixed that.
In a dark room the image is superb provided the source material is up to the mark - see 'Prometheus' - the long shots of the crew heading towards the mound for example or 'The Martian' (The whole damn film!)but I have no doubt that a new model will soon appear that will usurp the Benq from it's throne.

At some point you just have to dive in as there will always be something newer/better just around the corner - for me I am happy swimming in my 4K entry level pool
sparky7, Samfield, sage11x and 3 others like this.
post #4597 of 5043 Old 09-13-2019, 08:06 AM

Yeah, and you should be happy. You've had access to the Hot New Thing for awhile. BenQ has made lots of people happy and rightly so.

Let me simplify:

- This entire product category mystifies me: 'HDR projector' is an oxymoron
- No one cares what I think as evidenced by increasing competition in this space
- BenQ was first to market but I'm not sure what good that did them.

The only reason I say they "bungled this a bit" is they let a few units go out that did not delight customers and this created a lot of chatter among influencers in places like AVSForum and so BenQ lost control of the narrative. This makes it less obvious whether they have produced another category-killer like the 1070 was.

Some of this is due to the fine line they are walking in how they marketed this unit: knowing that lights-on viewing wouldn't work well for this product they targeted "home theater" users (as opposed to "home entertainment" users) with words like "cinematic color accuracy". The problem is that's a much more discerning and demanding segment of the market. Inevitably one of your QC mistakes will collide with a power user and the results will not be pretty.

But regardless of some of the noisy commentary, this product, when the actual specimen you are looking at is up to spec, remains an untouchable combination of price and performance.

I will say this: when this product segment is mature and things shake out a bit, we may well find BenQ had the best offering all along.
post #4598 of 5043 Old 09-13-2019, 08:35 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Coming from a w1070 which I've gamed on extensively, I'm considering the ht3550. Not feeling super inspired by some of the issues mentioned in these posts, but I'm thinking of rolling the dice.

The main thing stopping me at this point is gaming and input lag. I know it's measured to be higher than the w1070 was, but curious how it's perceived in real world use.
For those of you who have had this projector for a while and gamed on it, is the lag noticeable? How do you feel about it?

I play a pretty wide variety of games across Xbox, PS4, and PC (FPS, RTS, RPG, racing, etc.). The ones I'm worried most about are probably the online FPSs (e.g. Apex, Borderlands 3, Battlefield, etc.).
post #4599 of 5043 Old 09-13-2019, 09:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudgetSnob View Post
Coming from a w1070 which I've gamed on extensively, I'm considering the ht3550. Not feeling super inspired by some of the issues mentioned in these posts, but I'm thinking of rolling the dice.

The main thing stopping me at this point is gaming and input lag. I know it's measured to be higher than the w1070 was, but curious how it's perceived in real world use.
For those of you who have had this projector for a while and gamed on it, is the lag noticeable? How do you feel about it?

I play a pretty wide variety of games across Xbox, PS4, and PC (FPS, RTS, RPG, racing, etc.). The ones I'm worried most about are probably the online FPSs (e.g. Apex, Borderlands 3, Battlefield, etc.).
If you are considering the HT3550 look no further than post #4597 just above yours. That accurately summarizes the state of the union concerning this projector, perfectly. I personally have a good operating unit, save a lingering issue with Brilliant Color. When the content is up to snuff it is a thing to behold given its feature set and price point. Regarding gaming I feel the somewhat laggy performance has hurt me when I play a squad-based FPS like Overwatch. My Overwatch play is now strictly conducted on my Vizio P series set. Platformers and racing sims are fine, but FPS games, not so much, to me anyway.
NxNW likes this.
post #4600 of 5043 Old 09-13-2019, 09:43 AM

Thanks for the kind words, but my remarks won't be much help for budgetsnob. Sharing your firsthand experience was probably much more useful.

Just to restate something mentioned here many times, the lag issue is not specific to the HT3550. XPR pixel shifters cost you a minimum of 16ms over and above any image processing. See https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...input-lag.html specifically post 11. For now if you want low lag in 4K, it has to be native 4K, and that's still way out of this price range.

Plenty of people seem to have come to the same conclusion: it looks great, it works fine for casual gaming, but you'll be a step behind everyone else in an online FPS.
post #4601 of 5043 Old 09-13-2019, 09:47 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am looking to purchase a projector and use on a 135" Screen in a dark room in my basement. I am an audiophile so both audio and video quality will be of importance.

Unfortunately I have limited space on my front wall with the screen to put large floorstanders so I was thinking of using the Bluesound soundbar and Bluesound Sub which would fit perfectly. My question is what is the optimal way to hook up the soundbar to the projector for best Audio experience? I dont believe the HT3550 has HDMI Arc which means I cant run audio through the HDMI cable. This would mean a 40 foot run of optical digital cable from Projector to soundbar. Will this mean also that since I dont have a receiver in the chain I cannot listen to Dolby Digital etc tracks?

If this setup is not optimal I have a Denon 4311 receiver that I can use for this application and setup with smaller dedicated HT speakers.

Please advise as to what you think would be best? Thanks in advance
post #4602 of 5043 Old 09-13-2019, 01:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 206 Post(s)
Quoted: 2808 Post(s)
Liked: 2830
BenQ W2700 / HT3550 Announcement and Owner’s Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by alour View Post
I am looking to purchase a projector and use on a 135" Screen in a dark room in my basement. I am an audiophile so both audio and video quality will be of importance.

Unfortunately I have limited space on my front wall with the screen to put large floorstanders so I was thinking of using the Bluesound soundbar and Bluesound Sub which would fit perfectly. My question is what is the optimal way to hook up the soundbar to the projector for best Audio experience? I dont believe the HT3550 has HDMI Arc which means I cant run audio through the HDMI cable. This would mean a 40 foot run of optical digital cable from Projector to soundbar. Will this mean also that since I dont have a receiver in the chain I cannot listen to Dolby Digital etc tracks?

If this setup is not optimal I have a Denon 4311 receiver that I can use for this application and setup with smaller dedicated HT speakers.

Please advise as to what you think would be best? Thanks in advance

The HT3550 does not have ARC and it’s optical output will only output surround sound from the included media player— everything else is down converted to stereo. Of course, this likely won’t matter if your audio is piped to a soundbar as a soundbar can barely be called stereo. This is pretty standard for the optical output in any display.

It’s best to treat a projector like a monitor. I.e. it should be the last thing in your chain. If your soundbar has an HDMI pass through you could run the output to the projector but you would need a very long hdmi and, with 4K, you’d likely need a fiber solution which can be expensive and a little bit hit or miss. You’re probably better off sticking with the optical audio in that case as optical audio is cheaper and better over long distances.

My advice would be to dump the soundbar and buy a good old AVR along with a pair of high quality bookshelf speakers and a sub. You could place the receiver and your sources at the back of the room close to the projector. Should blow the doors off that plastic 2x4 in terms of sound quality as well. If you’re an audiophile I would think you’d want to stay far away from a soundbar.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Last edited by sage11x; 09-13-2019 at 01:30 PM.
post #4603 of 5043 Old 09-14-2019, 07:09 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 19
How has the experience been for those who have RMA'd their units? Fedex shows my unit arrived 4 days ago but I haven't gotten any updates from them so I'm assuming they still have it. Wondering if they will repair or just replace the whole unit.
post #4604 of 5043 Old 09-14-2019, 10:35 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I chose not to RMA mine yet due to all the other issues people seem to have. Mine in comparison seem to be minor. Shouldn't be like that, but I will see how things are doing in a month or two.
post #4605 of 5043 Old 09-16-2019, 03:18 PM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I just received my 5th replacement.

1st one was a May unit - looked used, had scratches and scuffs on it and a scuff mark on the lens. Major chromatic aberration, major flicker
2nd one was an April unit - Major CA, flicker, and I forget what else. At this point I thought the CA was something they'd fix, so I RMA'd it, if I'd known it wouldn't get better I'd have kept this one.
3rd unit was a real POS, May unit - looked used, there was something large clunking inside when I'd flip it over, 3inch+ light border, seemed more like 2k than 4k, CA, and the throw was completely off to where I had to have the vertical shift all the way adjusted and it still was inches off from the others.
4th unit was a July unit - It was okay, other than the major major CA and the fact that it completely died and wouldn't turn back on nor were the leds lit, indicating power. It also was blurrier than the others, especially on the corners.

This 5th unit is an August unit, rev 04-103 and the best so far out of all of them. I tested only very shortly, but the colors are good, it's nice and sharp, there's no issue with blurriness, 4k is back, the throw seems normal, no light border, relatively quiet. The only real issue is the ever present CA. The focus wheel is touchy. When I adjust focus it bounces the lens / image around, as if it's loose. Whatever, I'll adjust and leave it alone, I can live with that. So, hopefully this one doesn't die on me, because I'd really like to keep it.

So, there it is. If this one doesn't die like the last one then my frustrations are over.
sage11x likes this.
post #4606 of 5043 Old 09-16-2019, 04:22 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I've just noticed that I have got what looks like a hair in the top right of my image. It's not on the lens or my screen. I suspect it is a hair because of the shape and the fact it moves slightly with the fan.

I don't want to RMA it or send it for repair as I have what seems like a good unit here.

Should I spray some compressed air in there? Through the vents or take the cover off?
post #4607 of 5043 Old 09-16-2019, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb975 View Post
I've just noticed that I have got what looks like a hair in the top right of my image. It's not on the lens or my screen. I suspect it is a hair because of the shape and the fact it moves slightly with the fan.

I don't want to RMA it or send it for repair as I have what seems like a good unit here.

Should I spray some compressed air in there? Through the vents or take the cover off?
From what I've read on here you should never spray compressed air in a projector as it has the potential to make your problems much worse.
sparky7, sage11x and noob00224 like this.
post #4608 of 5043 Old 09-16-2019, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theagent View Post
I just received my 5th replacement.

1st one was a May unit - looked used, had scratches and scuffs on it and a scuff mark on the lens. Major chromatic aberration, major flicker
2nd one was an April unit - Major CA, flicker, and I forget what else. At this point I thought the CA was something they'd fix, so I RMA'd it, if I'd known it wouldn't get better I'd have kept this one.
3rd unit was a real POS, May unit - looked used, there was something large clunking inside when I'd flip it over, 3inch+ light border, seemed more like 2k than 4k, CA, and the throw was completely off to where I had to have the vertical shift all the way adjusted and it still was inches off from the others.
4th unit was a July unit - It was okay, other than the major major CA and the fact that it completely died and wouldn't turn back on nor were the leds lit, indicating power. It also was blurrier than the others, especially on the corners.

This 5th unit is an August unit, rev 04-103 and the best so far out of all of them. I tested only very shortly, but the colors are good, it's nice and sharp, there's no issue with blurriness, 4k is back, the throw seems normal, no light border, relatively quiet. The only real issue is the ever present CA. The focus wheel is touchy. When I adjust focus it bounces the lens / image around, as if it's loose. Whatever, I'll adjust and leave it alone, I can live with that. So, hopefully this one doesn't die on me, because I'd really like to keep it.

So, there it is. If this one doesn't die like the last one then my frustrations are over.
Wow. Have these all been through RMA requests or were you within the return/exchange window? Did you buy directly from BenQ?
post #4609 of 5043 Old 09-16-2019, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wk11793 View Post
Wow. Have these all been through RMA requests or were you within the return/exchange window? Did you buy directly from BenQ?

These were all through RMA requests. I purchased originally from Best Buy, but they wouldn't replace it because they were supposedly going to stop carrying it due to all the issues this model's had. I didn't want to refund at the time because I honestly thought I just received a bad unit and the next one wouldn't have these issues.

In any case, testing this new one right now. Those Youtube 4K HDR demos I've been testing look fantastic. I hope to hell this one doesn't die.
post #4610 of 5043 Old 09-16-2019, 09:34 PM

Anyone know if these projectors need a pure sine UPS if I intend on using one?
post #4611 of 5043 Old 09-17-2019, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wk11793 View Post
From what I've read on here you should never spray compressed air in a projector as it has the potential to make your problems much worse.
Thanks. That does make sense, but I'd also seen some reports of successful outcomes.

I guess Ill have to RMA it. I hope I don't go through as bad issues as some here with the replacement. I'd hate to end up with a worse one than I have now!
post #4612 of 5043 Old 09-17-2019, 03:01 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb975 View Post
Thanks. That does make sense, but I'd also seen some reports of successful outcomes.

I guess Ill have to RMA it. I hope I don't go through as bad issues as some here with the replacement. I'd hate to end up with a worse one than I have now!
Don't have to RMA it, just send to to Benq to get it cleaned.
sage11x likes this.
post #4613 of 5043 Old 09-17-2019, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noob00224 View Post
Even if you are just asking them to perform routine service, they will still track it by issuing you an "RMA number" before you send it to them. If it's out of warranty, you are paying for the service, if it's covered by the warranty you only pay shipping, but either way it's an "RMA"..
sage11x likes this.
post #4614 of 5043 Old 09-17-2019, 01:16 PM

Quote:
If all you want it to do is allow for a proper power down (lamp cool down) due to a power failure then it does NOT require a pure sine wave UPS.

EDIT : I left out the "NOT" and just realized it, sorry.

- Jason
theagent likes this.

Last edited by DaGamePimp; 09-17-2019 at 04:42 PM.
post #4615 of 5043 Old 09-17-2019, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post
If all you want it to do is allow for a proper power down (lamp cool down) due to a power failure then it does NOT require a pure sine wave UPS.

EDIT : I left out the "NOT" and just realized it, sorry.

- Jason

Ah, good to know, thanks. I actually replied earlier, but I must have not hit submit, so I get to revise what I said
Basically, I just want to make sure there's no reason this one dies. Not that the last one was due to anything on my end, but I'd like to make sure it never is. I have a pure sine UPS for my PC and studio equipment, and it's saved me a few times, well worth it, but I'd rather just get something basic for the projector, since I'll only have it and maybe an nvidia shield connected to it.
post #4616 of 5043 Old 09-17-2019, 08:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I have a since wave goes up to mine but that's cause I needed a big size one for the projector, receiver, someone's the PS4. But anything with a HDD I would put on a ups at least.

Also with my w1070 I never had any issue but with the pf1500 if I lost power sure to a lightning strike I would lose picture for a second. But this was an LED lit unit.

Also I would start away from apc as they are more expensive and at work they fail all the time in our server racks

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
post #4617 of 5043 Old 09-17-2019, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobdude View Post
I have a since wave goes up to mine but that's cause I needed a big size one for the projector, receiver, someone's the PS4. But anything with a HDD I would put on a ups at least.

Also with my w1070 I never had any issue but with the pf1500 if I lost power sure to a lightning strike I would lose picture for a second. But this was an LED lit unit.

Also I would start away from apc as they are more expensive and at work they fail all the time in our server racks

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I have this one https://www.amazon.com/CyberPower-CP...dp/B00429N19W/ for my PC and things, which has been pretty good. It was actually cheaper than the non-sine one when I bought it, so I'll probably wait and see what the prices are like during black friday. If I can get it for as cheap as I did I'll probably just get another one of those.
post #4618 of 5043 Old 09-18-2019, 03:34 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
A cheap 800VA/480W can't handle a similar (prev gen) Benq PJ:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-ho...mendation.html
https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/up...dation.422997/
post #4619 of 5043 Old 09-18-2019, 03:37 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello everyone,
i'm a beginner in the world of video projectors and i'm the owner of the benq ht3550(April version) I would like to know if someone would have a site with the calibrations most adapt in sdr and hdr 4k ( full black room ) or if people on this forum could share me their sdr and 4k calibration especially at the level of color adjustment (I find on some film that the image tends to the green) thank you in advance to people who will take the time to answer me. ( sorry for bad english )
post #4620 of 5043 Old 09-18-2019, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noob00224 View Post
Thanks. In the end, I didn't have to do anything as I turned it on last night and the hair as totally disappeared!

What I did notice was that I can't seem to engage High Altitude mode on my unit. When I pick that option in the menu, I get a pop-up which asks me if I definitely want to switch it on. I confirm by clicking 'Yes' but nothing happens.

I won't ever need High Altitude mode for its real purpose, but I will need to use it if the hair gets back onto the image!

Has anyone else had this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page