BenQ W2700 / HT3550 Announcement and Owner’s Thread - Page 158 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3250Likes

post #4711 of 6200 Old 10-10-2019, 05:57 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by NxNW View Post
I have that mount. Hacksaw? I'll let someone else recommend a proper solution.

As for horizontal position, you theoretically center on the lens not the enclosure. In practice, put the thing on a ladder and spend as long as it takes moving the ladder left and right until you get ZERO keystone zero trapezoid zero pincushion zero whatever. The screen wall is sometimes not perfectly square to the rest of the room despite the builder's best precautions. Strangely I found *my* projector worked best centered on the enclosure not the lens ZOMG ?!?

Other pointers? Paint your room as dark as you can. That and be sure you can cover up any windows. It's all about ambient light control. But that's not specific to this model, just good practice for projection generally. EDIT just saw your dedicated build thread. Good stuff. Looks like you've got no issues with windows. Hope you've got a good story for HVAC in there. Have fun!
Thanks for the tips!!! I did think about using a hack saw and I may still end up trying that, I just worry messing it up more than I may help, but I guess I got nothing to loose if I am trying to find a new mount.

I never thought about putting it on a ladder to mess around with the positioning, great idea and easy to do. Yeah i can get it pretty dark down there, the only basement windows are a northern exposure with lots of tall trees around us so it doesn't get too bright. I have a return right above the the second row seating and the back of the theater has a large pass through opening to the bar, that and the basement always seems to stay a few degrees colder in the summer time, we should be good to go with the room not getting too hot.
NxNW likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4712 of 6200 Old 10-10-2019, 07:21 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I got my mount at monoprice along time ago. Model number 8802. But they have some other one now that are adjustable as well. Mine was 27 bucks back in 2015.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
beerhound34 likes this.
post #4713 of 6200 Old 10-11-2019, 02:41 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
If you’re in your return window...

Otherwise call BenQ— it’s covered under a 3 year warranty.
I'm getting it returned today and hopefully getting a better revision. I'll report back when all is set up!
sage11x and maglo125 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4714 of 6200 Old 10-11-2019, 02:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 22

I Just finished watching El Camino: A Breaking Bad with My HT3550

HDR on 0 is the best for this movie or even -1 to get the best black color

Enjoy

post #4715 of 6200 Old 10-12-2019, 06:08 AM

Update on my case : the shop (great service from Richer as usual) mentioned none of their branches had any revision later than July. I was quite sure I had seen someone with an AUG revision here but the search on mobile is not the best to find the post.

I guess I'm just gonna have to get a new and same one and hope it doesn't happen again, as no other projector, cheaper or more expensive unless you go for the 5700 seem to offer the same quality.

Curious to have your thoughts if you think otherwise. Thanks!
post #4716 of 6200 Old 10-12-2019, 10:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked: 5723
Hi all. Watched some hdr content and played some Destiny 2 tonight. Pj performed great. Little video of Toy Story 4 uhd through vudu.
Samfield and maglo125 like this.
post #4717 of 6200 Old 10-13-2019, 03:23 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm getting a bit frustrated with the HT3550. Right now I'm on my second one and it looks like this one need to go back too. The first one had a wierd issus with the Iris, when turned on it would cause a lot of flickering but no split screen issue. The replacement intermittently has the split screen issue...firmware updated...no change. It seems like a lot of people are having this issue..anything from BenQ on a real fix? Or is it just luck of the draw???
post #4718 of 6200 Old 10-14-2019, 01:27 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I've got a weird update regarding my previous post about 3D issues, it seems that sometimes the 3D looks "messed up" when I first start watching a 3D disc. However if I stop playback and start the disc again it displays perfectly. I initially thought the 3D depth was too high with this model, but maybe the left & right images aren't aligning properly until I restart playback. As I said - weird...
post #4719 of 6200 Old 10-14-2019, 08:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 224 Post(s)
Quoted: 3054 Post(s)
Liked: 3170
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisIW View Post
I've got a weird update regarding my previous post about 3D issues, it seems that sometimes the 3D looks "messed up" when I first start watching a 3D disc. However if I stop playback and start the disc again it displays perfectly. I initially thought the 3D depth was too high with this model, but maybe the left & right images aren't aligning properly until I restart playback. As I said - weird...

It’s probably a sync/invert issue with your DLP link glasses. The projector has an invert function in the menu and your glasses should too. Just toggle it and it should be pretty apparent when it’s right.
sparky7, ChrisIW and maglo125 like this.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
post #4720 of 6200 Old 10-14-2019, 08:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

BenQ W2700 / HT3550 Announcement and Owner’s Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkaero View Post
I'm getting a bit frustrated with the HT3550. Right now I'm on my second one and it looks like this one need to go back too. The first one had a wierd issus with the Iris, when turned on it would cause a lot of flickering but no split screen issue. The replacement intermittently has the split screen issue...firmware updated...no change. It seems like a lot of people are having this issue..anything from BenQ on a real fix? Or is it just luck of the draw???

The “flicker” you’re seeing is most likely iris pumping. It’s been chronicled both here on the thread as well as in various reviews (including mine on this site). It’s an artifact of the iris but, good news, the iris is adjustable: low, Med, high. I’ve had good luck on low with not seeing the iris but some people see the iris intervention regardless. If that’s the case my only suggestion is to turn it off or use the built in lamp dimming, smart eco, instead. I don’t use the iris with Tv/streaming content, preferring the extra brightness of the smart eco lamp instead. I really only use the iris when watching movies in a dark room which 90% of the time means a Blu-ray Disc.

Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

post #4721 of 6200 Old 10-14-2019, 05:28 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Just got to projector in today. Anytime I'm trying to load anything HDR related from either netflix or plex - the screen goes blank for a couple of seconds and come back. It's kind of annoying especially with the Sheild.

Also, is the VIVID TV setting the only brightest setting?
post #4722 of 6200 Old 10-15-2019, 06:11 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 125
I've had my projector up and running since Saturday and I have had a few days off (resting from a surgery) to play around and enjoy it. It's my first projector so I don't really have anything to compare it to. While it has been incredible for me so far, I have noticed a couple things that I believe others have noted, not sure if a fix has been found yet though.

The first issue is I think the split screen others talk about. It started on me yesterday where the screen is almost divided in half and one side is slightly dimmer than the other side? I assume that's the split screen people talk about?

My other question was regarding the black bars on the top and bottom. When watching Aquaman 4K it would go back and forth between scenes in which there would be the top and bottom black bars and then there would be scenes in which it was full screen. Forgive my projector ignorance, but is it supposed to do that or am I not using the right settings on something?

As for gaming, I have played a few games of NHL 20 on the big screen and this projector has done just fine, no lag issues that would effect my game, not that I am any good for it to effect....
post #4723 of 6200 Old 10-15-2019, 08:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman2million View Post
Just got to projector in today. Anytime I'm trying to load anything HDR related from either netflix or plex - the screen goes blank for a couple of seconds and come back. It's kind of annoying especially with the Sheild.

Also, is the VIVID TV setting the only brightest setting?

When switching in and out of HDR the screen does go blank for a moment.

post #4724 of 6200 Old 10-15-2019, 09:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerhound34 View Post
I've had my projector up and running since Saturday and I have had a few days off (resting from a surgery) to play around and enjoy it. It's my first projector so I don't really have anything to compare it to. While it has been incredible for me so far, I have noticed a couple things that I believe others have noted, not sure if a fix has been found yet though.

The first issue is I think the split screen others talk about. It started on me yesterday where the screen is almost divided in half and one side is slightly dimmer than the other side? I assume that's the split screen people talk about?

My other question was regarding the black bars on the top and bottom. When watching Aquaman 4K it would go back and forth between scenes in which there would be the top and bottom black bars and then there would be scenes in which it was full screen. Forgive my projector ignorance, but is it supposed to do that or am I not using the right settings on something?

As for gaming, I have played a few games of NHL 20 on the big screen and this projector has done just fine, no lag issues that would effect my game, not that I am any good for it to effect....

That’s an aspect ratio change with the movie. A lot of movies have IMAX scenes now that are either 1.43:1 (taller than your screen) or 1.85:1 (pretty darn close to the 16:9, 1.7:1 that your projector uses).

Opinions on this model’s lag are all over he place but a lot of folks don’t seem to have an issue.
curtlots, beerhound34 and maglo125 like this.

post #4725 of 6200 Old 10-17-2019, 09:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

WoOt! Just ordered up a new screen! Went with an Akia(made by Elite Screens) 125" zero edge. I have the 100" version in my bedroom setup and I really like it. Pj should still be plenty bright enough as it's not a super huge size difference.
I also couldn't resist as there's an additional 10% coupon on Amazon.
Now I just have to figure out how to still incorporate my 900e in the mix for daily use as my current pull down works great for having both. Oh, and where to move my movie shelving units.
Although the pull down screen has served me well I just don't like how the edges curl in slightly and on whiter scenes you can faintly see the horizontal "lines" from it being rolled up etc.
Will keep everyone posted
post #4726 of 6200 Old 10-18-2019, 12:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked: 476
question about hdcp the 3550 has 2.2. Do we know if thats simply a software thing or is it hardware? Basically trying to get a receiver to match my new projector. I was looking at the marantz 6013 it has hdcp 2.2 but the denon 3600 has 2.3. Both are HDMI 2.0 to pass full 4k.

"we need more power" - My Wife.

Theater Build Thread - Wartooth
post #4727 of 6200 Old 10-18-2019, 01:44 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 689 Post(s)
Liked: 713
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonslush View Post
question about hdcp the 3550 has 2.2. Do we know if thats simply a software thing or is it hardware? Basically trying to get a receiver to match my new projector. I was looking at the marantz 6013 it has hdcp 2.2 but the denon 3600 has 2.3. Both are HDMI 2.0 to pass full 4k.
While HDCP 2.3 would be more 'future proof' (hate using that term) the 3550 should remain an HDCP 2.2 display (very unlikely it's chip-set is capable of that update).

- Jason
sage11x likes this.

HT = Epson 5050ub @133" / Marantz SR6013 7.3.4 Atmos / B&K 5000 II amp / Boston VR2/VR12/CR67 speakers / Rythmik 12" x2 / CV 15" / Sony x800 / Panasonic UB820 VOTE BLUE
Media Room = Sony 65x930e / Denon x3300 /Klipsch speakers /Velodyne subs /Sony x700 /PS4 Pro + PSVR/WiiU/PS3/360/Wii/ 2080 TI - 9900K PC / Multi-Arcade / Virtual Pinball TRE45ON
post #4728 of 6200 Old 10-19-2019, 06:00 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Is the HT3550 significantly better than the HT2550? I got the 2550 for 699 and the 3550 is 1400 dollars. Is the 2550 worth the extra money? Would be grateful for your thoughts on this.
post #4729 of 6200 Old 10-19-2019, 06:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Is the HT3550 significantly better than the HT2550? I got the 2550 for 699 and the 3550 is 1400 dollars. Is the 2550 worth the extra money? Would be grateful for your thoughts on this.

The 3550 is absolutely better than the Ht2550 but 699 for the HT2550 is an INSANE price. It’s your money so only you can make that decision. The Ht2550 is also brighter than the Ht3550 so it may work in a wider set of circumstances.
maglo125 likes this.

post #4730 of 6200 Old 10-19-2019, 06:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonslush View Post

HDCP is a hardware based copyright protection. HDCP 2.3 is the latest version of this copyright protection.

Honestly, few devices incorporate 2.3 with most current devices still employing 2.2. That’s fine as they are compatible with one another. It’s possible you could buy yourself a little ‘future proofing’ by going with an AVR equipped with 2.3 (and that’s what the receiver manufacturers are counting on you thinking) but it’s hard to say at this point.

Last edited by sage11x; 10-19-2019 at 06:30 AM.
post #4731 of 6200 Old 10-19-2019, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
The 3550 is absolutely better than the Ht2550 but 699 for the HT2550 is an INSANE price. It’s your money so only you can make that decision. The Ht2550 is also brighter than the Ht3550 so it may work in a wider set of circumstances.

Thanks Sage. Does the 2550 have HDR pro, was trying to find that out. I found the colors on the 2550 great, I love vivid mode for the colors, and am thinking can it really get better than these colors because it already looks amazing.
sage11x likes this.
post #4732 of 6200 Old 10-19-2019, 08:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Thanks Sage. Does the 2550 have HDR pro, was trying to find that out. I found the colors on the 2550 great, I love vivid mode for the colors, and am thinking can it really get better than these colors because it already looks amazing.

No, the Ht2550’s tone mapping is not “HDR Pro”. Still, it’s HDR image is pretty good. Sometime after it’s launch, BenQ updated the Ht2550 with a new firmware that dramatically improved it’s HDR image. The HT3550’s major upgrades are a shorter throw lens, the addition of lens shift, improved HDR tone mapping, better contrast including significantly deeper blacks, and better motion handling including native support for 24Hz film content. It really is the better projector but whether or not it’s TWICE the price better is something that is hard to say in this end of the price pool when every dollar tends to count more. Consider the Ht2550 launched at $1500 and the HT3550 feels like a screaming bargain. But you purchased your Ht2550 at a price where entry level HD models usually play.

post #4733 of 6200 Old 10-20-2019, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCarb View Post
Update on my case : the shop (great service from Richer as usual) mentioned none of their branches had any revision later than July. I was quite sure I had seen someone with an AUG revision here but the search on mobile is not the best to find the post.

I guess I'm just gonna have to get a new and same one and hope it doesn't happen again, as no other projector, cheaper or more expensive unless you go for the 5700 seem to offer the same quality.

Curious to have your thoughts if you think otherwise. Thanks!
Self update : I received a new projector from my shop today and while I am not sure the image is as good on this sample (I have to test with other sources, this is just an quick observation), the pixel shift noise is MUCH better. The unit overall is much quieter and I have not (yet?) met the split screen issue after watching movies for 6h+.

It is seemingly the same batch as my first one (July).

Will update after more use.
post #4734 of 6200 Old 10-20-2019, 04:04 PM

I'm seeing earlier posts here with people reporting different issues with the 3550. Area any of you having issues now with your unit? Am going to buy one to try out but was feeling uneasy reading about the issues people are having. Anyone not have any problems at all with theirs?
post #4735 of 6200 Old 10-20-2019, 04:09 PM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 58

I’ve not had any issues with mine.

Bought it at the end of August from Amazon

There are a lot of people who have zero issues so never post.

It has a good warranty so may as well order one and try it unless you want to spend double the money to get a similar or better projector.
sparky7, sage11x, maglo125 and 1 others like this.
post #4736 of 6200 Old 10-21-2019, 12:11 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by subacabra View Post
Hi all. Watched some hdr content and played some Destiny 2 tonight. Pj performed great. Little video of Toy Story 4 uhd through vudu.
https://youtu.be/m9nE06uORQE
Just starting my own research about the 3550 and this post is basically my life.

Which console? Any issues when playing D2?
post #4737 of 6200 Old 10-21-2019, 12:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruzer79 View Post
Just starting my own research about the 3550 and this post is basically my life.

Which console? Any issues when playing D2?
Xbox one x. No issues at all.
maglo125 likes this.
post #4738 of 6200 Old 10-21-2019, 12:59 PM

Liked: 0
Hi!

So the w2700 is quite amazing overall, but am I overly sensitive to the blue CA problem? I'd like to call it a blue glow, as it radiates all around white areas unlike the slight green/magenta split of light I was used to on the w1070.

I know it has been talked about a lot in here, but my overall question that I have not seen answered is if this is a true problem of the model or if I am simply very unlucky.

I can definitely see it at my seating distance but I do sit quite close at 2.8 m from the 120" screen. It is of course most visible on subtitles and highlights, so I can can forget about it in most scenes. However, and I'm not entirely sure it is related, heavily blue scenes in HDR seem to clip blues or over saturate them a lot. For example in Stranger things at the starcourt mall, or Toy story 4 inside the "club" where they meet the stuntman; he is absolutely glowing a flat overexposed/clipped blue.

The blue glow is a lot stronger zoomed in/long throw, if zoomed out I see more regular CA and less glow. Since I have mounted it close to the rear I get more of the effect.

I got a replacement unit, July and latest FW, but its exactly the same. Now they are offering a refund, considering whether to take them up on that. Maybe shell out for a w5700 instead, anyone know if it too has this issue?

I have attached some pictures to illustrate. As you can see the test pattern is white, so a couple of them is the first unit I got, others a white test grid picture on the new unit.
The two grids taken close from the left side shows the difference of the zoom level. Wide = CA, little glow. Tele=little CA, lots of glow
The very close shots (two exposures) shows that CA and glow is a separate thing as you can see the regular green/magenta CA close to the white (which is not visible when seated) and then the blue glow outside that.
The mostly black and white car shows that the glow completely messes with the image.
Of course my mobile camera wont capture the true nature of the projector, but they look about right compared to my perception.

So am I overly sensitive, got two bad units or should I take the refund and look elsewhere?
Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190927_161850.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	628.9 KB
ID:	2630266   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190823_140246.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	323.8 KB
ID:	2630268   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190823_140135.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	412.5 KB
ID:	2630272   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190811_161156.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	760.3 KB
ID:	2630274   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190703_213107.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	549.7 KB
ID:	2630276  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190703_213101.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	299.2 KB
ID:	2630278   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190703_212846.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	494.8 KB
ID:	2630280  
post #4739 of 6200 Old 10-21-2019, 02:40 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 689 Post(s)
Liked: 713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Berglund View Post
Hi!

So the w2700 is quite amazing overall, but am I overly sensitive to the blue CA problem? I'd like to call it a blue glow, as it radiates all around white areas unlike the slight green/magenta split of light I was used to on the w1070.

I know it has been talked about a lot in here, but my overall question that I have not seen answered is if this is a true problem of the model or if I am simply very unlucky.

I can definitely see it at my seating distance but I do sit quite close at 2.8 m from the 120" screen. It is of course most visible on subtitles and highlights, so I can can forget about it in most scenes. However, and I'm not entirely sure it is related, heavily blue scenes in HDR seem to clip blues or over saturate them a lot. For example in Stranger things at the starcourt mall, or Toy story 4 inside the "club" where they meet the stuntman; he is absolutely glowing a flat overexposed/clipped blue.

The blue glow is a lot stronger zoomed in/long throw, if zoomed out I see more regular CA and less glow. Since I have mounted it close to the rear I get more of the effect.

I got a replacement unit, July and latest FW, but its exactly the same. Now they are offering a refund, considering whether to take them up on that. Maybe shell out for a w5700 instead, anyone know if it too has this issue?

I have attached some pictures to illustrate. As you can see the test pattern is white, so a couple of them is the first unit I got, others a white test grid picture on the new unit.
The two grids taken close from the left side shows the difference of the zoom level. Wide = CA, little glow. Tele=little CA, lots of glow
The very close shots (two exposures) shows that CA and glow is a separate thing as you can see the regular green/magenta CA close to the white (which is not visible when seated) and then the blue glow outside that.
The mostly black and white car shows that the glow completely messes with the image.
Of course my mobile camera wont capture the true nature of the projector, but they look about right compared to my perception.

So am I overly sensitive, got two bad units or should I take the refund and look elsewhere?
Thanks!
That's certainly worse than any of the three units that I have had (regarding blue CA), if the unit is not calibrated accurately that could account for some of it but unless you have the required gear to check it yourself I would exchange or refund and move on to another unit (only you can make that call). The 5550 (w5700) has a better lens, that's one of the main advantages it has over the 3550 IMO (less CA and able to fully resolve 4K). It's a shame because it appears the 3550 sample you have now offers pretty uniform focus based upon the desktop image you posted.

Best of luck,
- Jason

HT = Epson 5050ub @133" / Marantz SR6013 7.3.4 Atmos / B&K 5000 II amp / Boston VR2/VR12/CR67 speakers / Rythmik 12" x2 / CV 15" / Sony x800 / Panasonic UB820 VOTE BLUE
Media Room = Sony 65x930e / Denon x3300 /Klipsch speakers /Velodyne subs /Sony x700 /PS4 Pro + PSVR/WiiU/PS3/360/Wii/ 2080 TI - 9900K PC / Multi-Arcade / Virtual Pinball TRE45ON
post #4740 of 6200 Old 10-21-2019, 02:43 PM

Question guys. I just got the Ht3550, am testing it side by side with the ht2550. The 2550 is looking quite a bit brighter than the 3550, even though the difference between them is just 200 lumens, am wondering why there is so much difference in brightness when the 2550 is just 200 lumens more than the 3550. Does it take time for a new projector bulb to get brighter, like couple of hours? Both projectors are on vivid and same brightness etc.

Any suggestions appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page