BenQ W2700 / HT3550 Announcement and Owner’s Thread - Page 159 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2930Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #4741 of 5249 Old 10-21-2019, 07:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
subacabra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Hillsborough, New Jersey
Posts: 2,673
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked: 5035
Ugh... Turns out I don't have enough lens shift to accommodate my new 125" screen. The image will be too low due to the pj being 6" below the top of the screen.
I'm determined to make it work so I built a little ceiling mount box(which I'll sand and paint) to get the pj as close to the ceiling as possible.
Hopefully this does the trick!
sage11x, scoobdude, NxNW and 1 others like this.
subacabra is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4742 of 5249 Old 10-21-2019, 08:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sage11x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Howell, MI
Posts: 6,784
Mentioned: 206 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2862 Post(s)
Liked: 2880
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Question guys. I just got the Ht3550, am testing it side by side with the ht2550. The 2550 is looking quite a bit brighter than the 3550, even though the difference between them is just 200 lumens, am wondering why there is so much difference in brightness when the 2550 is just 200 lumens more than the 3550. Does it take time for a new projector bulb to get brighter, like couple of hours? Both projectors are on vivid and same brightness etc.

Any suggestions appreciated.


I think I mentioned this to you before but, yes, the HT2550 is brighter than the HT3550.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
sage11x is offline  
post #4743 of 5249 Old 10-22-2019, 09:53 AM
Member
 
Freddicus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: North NJ
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by subacabra View Post
Ugh... Turns out I don't have enough lens shift to accommodate my new 125" screen. The image will be too low due to the pj being 6" below the top of the screen.
I'm determined to make it work so I built a little ceiling mount box(which I'll sand and paint) to get the pj as close to the ceiling as possible.
Hopefully this does the trick!
That's quite nice! Check out my bootleg solution to the same problem here.
subacabra likes this.

Audio: Marantz SR6014 | (FL/FR) Sony SS-U421AV | (FC) Sony SS-CN5000 | (SL/SR) Sony SSF-5000 | (FHL/FHR) Polk Audio S10 | Sub (1) Polk Audio PSW505
Video: BenQ W1070 | Elite Screens Sable Frame B2, 92-inch 16:9 (SB92WH2)
Sources: PS4 | PC | Switch | Wii U
Cable: DELONG 10m (33ft) Fiber Optic HDMI
Freddicus is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4744 of 5249 Old 10-23-2019, 05:20 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Following up on my story (I recently returned a W2700 July Rev because of a very regular split screen issue).

I watched two films in Blu Ray with my PlayStation 4 yesterday, with :

- Silence mode ON
- Brilliant color ON
- A non-Pro PS4

As per my information, the projector was set on 1080p 24p and the pixel shift was (supposedly?) not activated as I put the silent mode on. Sadly, I again had the splitscreen issue with this new model. It was, however, much more discreet and I didn't even notice it appearing. It was after a few seconds / minutes I saw that the screen was again cut in two, but it was sometimes even hard to distinguish, see image below :



On some images, especially bright plain images, it was easier to see like here.



It's a bit annoying for a projector that costs £1400, more than double what I paid the W1070 at the time. I understand (more and more everyday) how 4K is more complex with all its refinements thrown in (HDR variants, Dolby vision, etc), but despite all the wonderful qualities of the W2700, this is a bit frustrating. The only option my shop offered at the time was to replace it with an Optoma HD51, but I don't want the first chipset generation. I don't know what to do, except waiting for a software fix or new projectors coming up... The device is guaranteed for 6 years, so at least my mind is at peace.
ClassicQ8 likes this.
QCarb is offline  
post #4745 of 5249 Old 10-23-2019, 06:43 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCarb View Post
Following up on my story (I recently returned a W2700 July Rev because of a very regular split screen issue).

I watched two films in Blu Ray with my PlayStation 4 yesterday, with :

- Silence mode ON
- Brilliant color ON
- A non-Pro PS4

As per my information, the projector was set on 1080p 24p and the pixel shift was (supposedly?) not activated as I put the silent mode on. Sadly, I again had the splitscreen issue with this new model. It was, however, much more discreet and I didn't even notice it appearing. It was after a few seconds / minutes I saw that the screen was again cut in two, but it was sometimes even hard to distinguish, see image below :



On some images, especially bright plain images, it was easier to see like here.



It's a bit annoying for a projector that costs £1400, more than double what I paid the W1070 at the time. I understand (more and more everyday) how 4K is more complex with all its refinements thrown in (HDR variants, Dolby vision, etc), but despite all the wonderful qualities of the W2700, this is a bit frustrating. The only option my shop offered at the time was to replace it with an Optoma HD51, but I don't want the first chipset generation. I don't know what to do, except waiting for a software fix or new projectors coming up... The device is guaranteed for 6 years, so at least my mind is at peace.
Just for my understanding, do this disappear when pushing BC on / off, or you have to do something else, I am having the same issue and is frustrating to have to push the remote buttons so I've a macro that does all with just a button, it's a pity but it does not overcome the other good point of the PJ over the 1070 (and possibly over the HD51), hope it is solved in future FW.
pviader is offline  
post #4746 of 5249 Old 10-23-2019, 07:05 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Does HDR take about 7-8 seconds of black screen before the image shows or is my model just messed up? It makes it super annoying to go through netflix or plex where the screen has to black out everytime I'm selecting a movie.
batman2million is offline  
post #4747 of 5249 Old 10-23-2019, 12:48 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post
That's certainly worse than any of the three units that I have had (regarding blue CA), if the unit is not calibrated accurately that could account for some of it but unless you have the required gear to check it yourself I would exchange or refund and move on to another unit (only you can make that call). The 5550 (w5700) has a better lens, that's one of the main advantages it has over the 3550 IMO (less CA and able to fully resolve 4K). It's a shame because it appears the 3550 sample you have now offers pretty uniform focus based upon the desktop image you posted.
Best of luck,
- Jason
Thanks!
Yeah got a refund on the way. Still might make another attempt on this model, perhaps if a retailer will allow me to test it on site before I take it home. The HT5550 is 60% more expensive after all...
But generally you'd say that my unit is faulty and that there are good units out there?
You or any one else haven't seen any problems in blue-lit scenes?
Quote:
However, and I'm not entirely sure it is related, heavily blue scenes in HDR seem to clip blues or over saturate them a lot. For example in Stranger things at the starcourt mall, or Toy story 4 inside the "club" where they meet the stuntman; he is absolutely glowing a flat overexposed/clipped blue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by batman2million View Post
Does HDR take about 7-8 seconds of black screen before the image shows or is my model just messed up? It makes it super annoying to go through netflix or plex where the screen has to black out everytime I'm selecting a movie.
I have not exactly timed it, but yes it takes a while to change to HDR mode. I got it setup so that HDR is in bright lamp mode (eco in SDR) and using WCG, so that might make it slower perhaps. Using netflix on the Xbox one s it switches to HDR when starting the app, so no wait before the movie starts. Perhaps you can disable the HDR mode until you are ready to start the movie?
Alexander Berglund is offline  
post #4748 of 5249 Old 10-24-2019, 03:32 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by pviader View Post
Just for my understanding, do this disappear when pushing BC on / off, or you have to do something else, I am having the same issue and is frustrating to have to push the remote buttons so I've a macro that does all with just a button, it's a pity but it does not overcome the other good point of the PJ over the 1070 (and possibly over the HD51), hope it is solved in future FW.
The issue appears whether Brilliant Colour is activated or not. My "fix" however is quite short, I simply activate and deactivate the test pattern with two presses on the same button. The image will reappear and fix itself.

It's not a major issue but its randomness can be nerve racking. I can spend an entire 3h movie with nothing, then it will happen 3 times in 15 minutes at other moments. The new unit I have seems more "reasonable" so far however.
QCarb is offline  
post #4749 of 5249 Old 10-24-2019, 04:53 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCarb View Post
The issue appears whether Brilliant Colour is activated or not. My "fix" however is quite short, I simply activate and deactivate the test pattern with two presses on the same button. The image will reappear and fix itself.

It's not a major issue but its randomness can be nerve racking. I can spend an entire 3h movie with nothing, then it will happen 3 times in 15 minutes at other moments. The new unit I have seems more "reasonable" so far however.
Oh, in my case in only happens sometimes when it changes from 1080p to 4k HDR (filter on, BC off) and never after once the HDR mode is activated, good tip about the test pattern, easier than BC On/Off

Last edited by pviader; 10-24-2019 at 08:56 AM.
pviader is offline  
post #4750 of 5249 Old 10-24-2019, 10:28 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by pviader View Post
Oh, in my case in only happens sometimes when it changes from 1080p to 4k HDR (filter on, BC off) and never after once the HDR mode is activated, good tip about the test pattern, easier than BC On/Off
Interesting. I've had the issue in many different scenarios : playing 1080p or 4K content, BC activated or not, WCG activated or not, SmartEco or Full Power, etc.

But as mentioned above, the issue has been way less visible on the new unit. It took me a while to see it the first time it happened (also because the environment was fairly dark, but still).

I wonder if this is specific to the W2700 or the new PJs with the new chipsets are also affected. Oh well. As you said, it's a little price to pay compared to all the good aspects of the PJ (especially since my new unit makes less noise) and hopefully fixed in a firmware update soon.
QCarb is offline  
post #4751 of 5249 Old 10-24-2019, 12:49 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I'm also interested in the HT3550 and just read that there is no ARC support in the HDMI chipset. I believe that means you can't deliver audio from the pj via HDMI.

Since this model has an internal media player that (I assume) lets you play 4k content off your USB thumb drive, how can I deliver 5.1 audio to my receiver? I've only seen a 3.5 audio out which means stereo only. Is there any way to pull this off?
DryEyes is offline  
post #4752 of 5249 Old 10-24-2019, 01:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Sonyad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,410
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by DryEyes View Post
I'm also interested in the HT3550 and just read that there is no ARC support in the HDMI chipset. I believe that means you can't deliver audio from the pj via HDMI.

Since this model has an internal media player that (I assume) lets you play 4k content off your USB thumb drive, how can I deliver 5.1 audio to my receiver? I've only seen a 3.5 audio out which means stereo only. Is there any way to pull this off?
That's not what ARC means. Audio does go through the hdmi cable to your receiver.
DryEyes and maglo125 like this.
Sonyad is offline  
post #4753 of 5249 Old 10-24-2019, 01:36 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonyad View Post
That's not what ARC means. Audio does go through the hdmi cable to your receiver.
oh, silly me, then I got it totally wrong. Thanks!
So it is possible to use the internal media player and send multi-channel audio out, that's a big relieve.

Now I'm just puzzled how to proceed with my current setup since it's my first 4k pj.
My old but much appreciated av-receiver (denon 1910) can only do 1080p (no 4k passthrough possible).
Do you think I can keep this one for audio only while the image is transmitted to the pj via apple tv (or whatever media player I'm going to get).
Would this be reasonable or should I better look for a new 4k av-receiver?
DryEyes is offline  
post #4754 of 5249 Old 10-24-2019, 02:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Sonyad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,410
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by DryEyes View Post
oh, silly me, then I got it totally wrong. Thanks!
So it is possible to use the internal media player and send multi-channel audio out, that's a big relieve.

Now I'm just puzzled how to proceed with my current setup since it's my first 4k pj.
My old but much appreciated av-receiver (denon 1910) can only do 1080p (no 4k passthrough possible).
Do you think I can keep this one for audio only while the image is transmitted to the pj via apple tv (or whatever media player I'm going to get).
Would this be reasonable or should I better look for a new 4k av-receiver?
I was only clarifying that using an hdmi cable from this projector to your receiver will carry both audio and video. I can't speak on the audio routing of other inputs into the projector. It may be too soon for relief.

Plenty of people bypass their receiver due to 4k limitations, but I think it would be more beneficial to upgrade the receiver.
DryEyes likes this.
Sonyad is offline  
post #4755 of 5249 Old 10-24-2019, 05:30 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Just downloaded the manual of the HT3550 and read is also has an optical audio out. However, serious audio people may notice a difference in quality as HDMI can deliver higher bandwiths. If that's relevant for normies like me, I don't know.

I'm still on the fence though.
Comparing the costs back and forth, upgrading to 4k requires adding a new AV and a new media player, like a 4k fire stick, since the integrated media player seems quite limited in formats (e.g. no h264 / h265).

Because of this I'm also eying the HT3050, which is not 4k, but should still be a step up from the HT2050A. I guess it comes down to which one gets a better deal on black friday.
DryEyes is offline  
post #4756 of 5249 Old 10-24-2019, 05:50 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
DaGamePimp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: USA
Posts: 16,354
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 658 Post(s)
Liked: 675
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by DryEyes View Post
Just downloaded the manual of the HT3550 and read is also has an optical audio out. However, serious audio people may notice a difference in quality as HDMI can deliver higher bandwiths. If that's relevant for normies like me, I don't know.

I'm still on the fence though.
Comparing the costs back and forth, upgrading to 4k requires adding a new AV and a new media player, like a 4k fire stick, since the integrated media player seems quite limited in formats (e.g. no h264 / h265).

Because of this I'm also eying the HT3050, which is not 4k, but should still be a step up from the HT2050A. I guess it comes down to which one gets a better deal on black friday.
This is a bit off topic for this thread but the HT3050 is not really an upgrade to the 2050a, it's more of a side-step (it's a more accurate version of the original 2050). The HT4050 would be more of an upgrade to the 2050a (within the BenQ line).

- Jason

HT = Epson 5050ub @133" / Marantz SR6013 7.3.4 Atmos / B&K 5000 II amp / Boston VR2/VR12/CR67 speakers / Rythmik 12" x2 / CV 15" / Panasonic UB820
Media Room = Sony 65x930e / Denon x3300 /Klipsch speakers /Velodyne subs /Sony x700 /PS4 Pro + PSVR/WiiU/PS3/360/Wii/ 2080 TI - 9900K PC / Multi-Arcade / Virtual Pinball TRE45ON
DaGamePimp is online now  
post #4757 of 5249 Old 10-24-2019, 05:53 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 16
This is post number 5 so I can post a link
DryEyes is offline  
post #4758 of 5249 Old 10-24-2019, 05:55 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post
This is a bit off topic for this thread but the HT3050 is not really an upgrade to the 2050a, it's more of a side-step (it's a more accurate version of the original 2050). The HT4050 would be more of an upgrade to the 2050a (within the BenQ line).

- Jason

according to this video it seems like an upgrade
DryEyes is offline  
post #4759 of 5249 Old 10-24-2019, 06:15 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
DaGamePimp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: USA
Posts: 16,354
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 658 Post(s)
Liked: 675
Quote:
Originally Posted by DryEyes View Post
according to this video it seems like an upgrade
It's more of a step up from the 2050 than the 2050a. A 2050a with a proper calibration can keep up with the HT3050.

- Jason
DryEyes and noob00224 like this.

HT = Epson 5050ub @133" / Marantz SR6013 7.3.4 Atmos / B&K 5000 II amp / Boston VR2/VR12/CR67 speakers / Rythmik 12" x2 / CV 15" / Panasonic UB820
Media Room = Sony 65x930e / Denon x3300 /Klipsch speakers /Velodyne subs /Sony x700 /PS4 Pro + PSVR/WiiU/PS3/360/Wii/ 2080 TI - 9900K PC / Multi-Arcade / Virtual Pinball TRE45ON
DaGamePimp is online now  
post #4760 of 5249 Old 10-24-2019, 09:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
genaccmiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,296
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 683 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Does it make sense buying the 3550 right now with free returns from Amazon instead of waiting for black Friday?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
genaccmiller is online now  
post #4761 of 5249 Old 10-25-2019, 02:54 AM
Member
 
ClassicQ8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Kuwait
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by genaccmiller View Post
Does it make sense buying the 3550 right now with free returns from Amazon instead of waiting for black Friday?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

If i were you, i will wait for a good price drop
or wait for TK850
ClassicQ8 is offline  
post #4762 of 5249 Old 10-25-2019, 05:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
genaccmiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,296
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 683 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Folks - my throw distance is 11.8 feet to an AT screen. It is absolutely important the projector is mounted correctly to be able to project to a 120 inch screen. I was exploring the Epson 4010 due to the phenomenal placement flexibility and adjustments but am constrained by screen size since it is not a short throw projector. Will the 3550 work in my scenario given its lack of flexibility on position adjustments? And overall is having a lesser contrast ratio a problem?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
genaccmiller is online now  
post #4763 of 5249 Old 10-25-2019, 06:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 1,201
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 621 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by genaccmiller View Post
Folks - my throw distance is 11.8 feet to an AT screen. It is absolutely important the projector is mounted correctly to be able to project to a 120 inch screen. I was exploring the Epson 4010 due to the phenomenal placement flexibility and adjustments but am constrained by screen size since it is not a short throw projector. Will the 3550 work in my scenario given its lack of flexibility on position adjustments? And overall is having a lesser contrast ratio a problem?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
Picture contrast in real life scenarios between these two models is not that different.

This site can be used with other models to check dimensions:
https://www.projectorcentral.com/Ben...ulator-pro.htm

The Epson is brighter. It only has an 10GB HDMI chip, so no 4K 60Hz HDR, 24Hz at the most. It cannot do [email protected] It's light tunnel is not sealed, and dust could get in. It's probably quieter in Eco. It has ~25ms response time. It's faux 4K can display ~4 million pixels. It's large and heavy.

The Benq is less bright, but can fill an 120" screen. It has an 18GB HDMI chip. It can do [email protected] It's light tunnel is sealed. It's quiet enough in Eco. It has ~50ms response time. It's faux 4K can display ~8 million pixels. It's got a better HDR tone mapping than the Epson. Medium size projector.

Lumens measurements for both:
https://www.projectorcentral.com/Ben...,-Measurements
https://www.projectorcentral.com/eps...nd-Performance
NxNW likes this.

Last edited by noob00224; 10-25-2019 at 06:14 AM.
noob00224 is online now  
post #4764 of 5249 Old 10-25-2019, 06:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
genaccmiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,296
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 683 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by noob00224 View Post
Picture contrast in real life scenarios between these two models is not that different.
This site can be used with other models to check dimensions:
https://www.projectorcentral.com/Ben...ulator-pro.htm

The Epson is brighter. It only has an 10GB HDMI chip, so no 4K 60Hz HDR, 24Hz at the most. It cannot do [email protected] It's light tunnel is not sealed, and dust could get in. It's probably quieter in Eco. It has ~25ms response time. It's faux 4K can display ~4 million pixels. It's large and heavy.


The Benq is less bright, but can fill an 120" screen. It has an 18GB HDMI chip. It can do [email protected] It's light tunnel is sealed. It's quiet enough in Eco. It has ~50ms response time. It's faux 4K can display ~8 million pixels. It's got a better HDR tone mapping than the Epson. Medium size projector.

Lumens measurements for both:
https://www.projectorcentral.com/Ben...,-Measurements
https://www.projectorcentral.com/eps...nd-Performance
Yes thank you. I did see these specs but will review again. My overall concern is really around placement flexibility.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
genaccmiller is online now  
post #4765 of 5249 Old 10-25-2019, 06:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 1,201
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 621 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by genaccmiller View Post
Yes thank you. I did see these specs but will review again. My overall concern is really around placement flexibility.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
Lens shift on the Benq is:
Lens Shift Vertical up to +10% one direction only (no negative shift)
Epson: Vertical: ±96, Horizontal: ±47



What are your options for mounting the projector, why would lens shift be required?



The Epson can do 119" from 11'8".
https://www.projectorcentral.com/Eps...ulator-pro.htm

Is the distance from the wall to the screen 11'8"? If so the throw range would need to be reduced to include the depth of the projector and cables at the back.
Dimensions:
Benq: (W x H x D)(mm) 380 x 127 x 263
Epson: Including feet: 20.5" x 17.7" x 6.7" (W x D x H)

https://www.benq.com/en-us/projector...fications.html
https://epson.com/For-Home/Projector...R/p/V11H932020
noob00224 is online now  
post #4766 of 5249 Old 10-25-2019, 06:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
genaccmiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,296
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 683 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by noob00224 View Post
Lens shift on the Benq is:
Lens Shift Vertical up to +10% one direction only (no negative shift)
Epson:
Vertical: ±96
Horizontal: ±47

What are your options for mounting the projector, why would lens shift be required?
The Epson can do 119" from 11'8".
https://www.projectorcentral.com/Eps...ulator-pro.htm


Is the distance from the wall to the screen 11'8"? If so the throw range would need to be reduced to include the depth of the projector and cables at the back.
Dimensions:
Benq: (W x H x D)(mm) 380 x 127 x 263Epson: Including feet: 20.5" x 17.7" x 6.7" (W x D x H)

https://www.benq.com/en-us/projector...fications.html
https://epson.com/For-Home/Projector...R/p/V11H932020
Hello - 11.8 is the distance from the front of projector lens to the front of the Accoustically transparent screen wall. I will be doing a ceiling mount. All speakers and wiring will be behind the screen wall. At this distance the Epson can only go to 119inches at max zoom. But BenQ can go more than 120 inches at middle zoom. But if my measurements are off by a bit the Epson provides both horizontal and vertical shift but BenQ has no horizontal shift and limited vertical shift. This is the reason I am worried. I need to start building the AT screen wall but need to know what direction to go with projector.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
genaccmiller is online now  
post #4767 of 5249 Old 10-25-2019, 06:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 1,201
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 621 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by genaccmiller View Post
Hello - 11.8 is the distance from the front of projector lens to the front of the Accoustically transparent screen wall. I will be doing a ceiling mount. All speakers and wiring will be behind the screen wall. At this distance the Epson can only go to 119inches at max zoom. But BenQ can go more than 120 inches at middle zoom. But if my measurements are off by a bit the Epson provides both horizontal and vertical shift but BenQ has no horizontal shift and limited vertical shift. This is the reason I am worried. I need to start building the AT screen wall but need to know what direction to go with projector.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
This is an issue many users face, but even with lens shift the image might still not be perfect to the screen.
The solution is a black border, which can hide these types of imperfections.
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=black+vel...ref=nb_sb_noss

With the Benq it can be put on a table and mark the position there, and with the mount dimensions in mind, mirror it on the ceiling (the center of the lens).
What I did was reversed it (in the position that it would sit ceiling mounted), and put it on a shelf with some books underneath it until the position was right. Then marked the spot.

Ceiling mounts are also more expensive for the Epson, since it's heavier.
The Benq has a color wheel, and some people are sensible to RBE (rainbow effect). Have you ever had/seen an color wheel projector?

LE: How can the distance from the lens be the same for both projectors since they are different sizes?
What is the distance from the screen to the wall behind the projector?

Last edited by noob00224; 10-25-2019 at 06:48 AM.
noob00224 is online now  
post #4768 of 5249 Old 10-25-2019, 06:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
genaccmiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,296
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 683 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by noob00224 View Post
This is an issue many users face, but even with lens shift the image might still not be perfect to the screen.
The solution is a black border, which can hide these types of imperfections.
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=black+vel...ref=nb_sb_noss

With the Benq it can be put on a table and mark the position there, and with the mount dimensions in mind, mirror it on the ceiling (the center of the lens).
What I did was reversed it (in the position that it would sit ceiling mounted), and put it on a shelf with some books underneath it.

Ceiling mounts are also more expensive for the Epson, since it's heavier.
The Benq has a color wheel, and some people are sensible to RBE (rainbow effect). Have you ever had/seen an color wheel projector?

LE: How can the distance from the lens be the same for both projectors since they are different sizes?
What is the distance from the screen to the wall behind the projector?
Hello - distance from screen to wall behind projector is 13.5 feet.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
genaccmiller is online now  
post #4769 of 5249 Old 10-25-2019, 06:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 1,201
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 621 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by genaccmiller View Post
Hello - distance from screen to wall behind projector is 13.5 feet.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
The Benq's depth is 263mm (9.3") and Epson's is 17.7". Plus 5-7" for cables at the back.

I added an Amazon link for velvet tape in the post above, for the black border.

Last edited by noob00224; 10-25-2019 at 06:59 AM.
noob00224 is online now  
post #4770 of 5249 Old 10-25-2019, 06:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
genaccmiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,296
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 683 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by noob00224 View Post
The Benq's depth is 263mm (9.3") and Epson's is 17.7". Plus 5-7" for cables at the back.

I added an Amazon link for velvet tape in the post above, for the black border.
I don't need 5 to 7 inch for cables at the back. When I calculated for Epson I used 3 inches for cables plus 18 inches to come to a total of 21 inches. So are you saying the 3550 will work in my situation even with minimal adjustments allowed?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
genaccmiller is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off