BenQ W2700 / HT3550 Announcement and Owner’s Thread - Page 166 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2846Likes

post #4951 of 5044 Old 11-06-2019, 08:08 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by subacabra View Post
Absolutely! My pull down was great and all but had curls on the outside edges and exhibited slight horizontal lines from being rolled up.

Oh.

I never rolled mine up before.

So i haven't noticed that yet. Weird.

I still don't see how a better screen can make that much of a difference but maybe I am wrong.

Would be nice if you could go projector screen shopping by actually seeing it first before buying.
subacabra likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4952 of 5044 Old 11-06-2019, 09:52 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by ng4ever View Post
Oh.

I never rolled mine up before.

So i haven't noticed that yet. Weird.

I still don't see how a better screen can make that much of a difference but maybe I am wrong.

Would be nice if you could go projector screen shopping by actually seeing it first before buying.
I know you can reach out to the different manufactures and get samples. That might help.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
ng4ever likes this.
post #4953 of 5044 Old 11-07-2019, 03:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsterdam80 View Post
Hi I'm new here and I hope someone can help me. I bought the W2700 recently. Everything seems to work okay except for HDR. Using a Nvidia Shield (2019) and a PS4 I get a strong green tint and distorted colors when switching to HDR. Firmware is 1.0.3. I have tried different HDMI cables but no luck. HDR using the same inputs en cables works on my Samsung TV. I tried inputs directly in the projector but also no luck. I already sent one unit back but my new unit has the same problem. Not sure what is causing this? Thanks in advance.

Images shows up likes this on the PS4 and Shield. Here I have it connected through a 4k HDR capable splitter.

https://i.imgur.com/O06jbSj.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/0b7yKG2.jpg

In the first picture I see you are using a [email protected] resolution. And that's exactly how it would looks like when using HDR with that setting + RGB or Ycbcr 4:4:4, because HDMI 2.0 doesn't have enough bandwidth for that.

If you are using RGB or Ycbcr 4:4:4, then the maximum setting would be [email protected] when using HDR. In fact, Stranger Things is 24p as far as I know, so you should enable "Auto switching" resolution and refresh rate if possible to avoid this problem, or if you'd like to use [email protected], with the desktop or a video game for example, then you need to set the Chroma Subsampling to 4:2:2 or 4:2:0. You may find a good explanation about all that here: https://community.cedia.net/blogs/da...tes-for-4k-hdr
DunMunro likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4954 of 5044 Old 11-07-2019, 11:47 AM

Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Invisible Kid View Post
In the first picture I see you are using a [email protected] resolution. And that's exactly how it would looks like when using HDR with that setting + RGB or Ycbcr 4:4:4, because HDMI 2.0 doesn't have enough bandwidth for that.

If you are using RGB or Ycbcr 4:4:4, then the maximum setting would be [email protected] when using HDR. In fact, Stranger Things is 24p as far as I know, so you should enable "Auto switching" resolution and refresh rate if possible to avoid this problem, or if you'd like to use [email protected], with the desktop or a video game for example, then you need to set the Chroma Subsampling to 4:2:2 or 4:2:0. You may find a good explanation about all that here: https://community.cedia.net/blogs/da...tes-for-4k-hdr
The 60hz was with YUV 4:2:0 and that setting gives me HDR on my TV. I just tried it with the Shield outputting to 24hz but unfortunately I still get the same issue on the projector.

https://imgur.com/a/iMQ3Tvx

Already tried every image setting but when the projector detects HDR it will still switch and get the green/yellowish tint. I will be contacting Benq about my issue tomorrow.

I am wondering what kind of inputs people are using when they watch HDR on this projector? Anyone using a Nvidia Shield or a PS4 (nonpro)?
post #4955 of 5044 Old 11-07-2019, 12:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 206 Post(s)
Quoted: 2808 Post(s)
Liked: 2831
BenQ W2700 / HT3550 Announcement and Owner’s Thread

Quote:
Is there a big difference between a pull down screen and an actual fixed screen really?

Huge difference. If you have the ability to go fixed you absolutely should go fixed. It takes you from that ‘using a projector’ feeling to the feeling of owning a really big flat screen.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
post #4956 of 5044 Old 11-07-2019, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
Huge difference. If you have the ability to go fixed you absolutely should go fixed. It takes you from that ‘using a projector’ feeling to the feeling of owning a really big flat screen.

Thanks.

I just don't see it. My tripod never is taken down and I already feel like I have a really big flat screen.

Maybe it is just me?
post #4957 of 5044 Old 11-07-2019, 01:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1736 Post(s)
Liked: 4983
Quote:
Agree 100% Sage. One of the biggest improvements I've made yet
post #4958 of 5044 Old 11-07-2019, 02:00 PM

Is there anyway to see the difference before buying ?
post #4959 of 5044 Old 11-07-2019, 02:14 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Is there anyway to see the difference before buying ?
So are you using something else since you're down on the projector? LCD, OLED, etc?

I unfold the scroll, plant seeds to stampede the globe
When I'm deceased, by then the beast arise like yeast
to conquer peace leaving savages to roam in the streets.
post #4960 of 5044 Old 11-07-2019, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ DOOM View Post
So are you using something else since you're down on the projector? LCD, OLED, etc?

Just my computer which has only a 2k display.

Why ?

I don't watch much though right now. Wish I could. Just never in the mood.
post #4961 of 5044 Old 11-07-2019, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Just my computer which has only a 2k display.

Why ?

I don't watch much though right now. Wish I could. Just never in the mood.
I don't think this the forum for that. Good luck.
sage11x, ng4ever and ClassicQ8 like this.

post #4962 of 5044 Old 11-07-2019, 08:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked: 470
So any idea why the screen just went split screen? I tried hitting the hdr button and I kinda went away after a few minutes. Then it cane back svs I changed the eyeris thing or what ever it’s called
post #4963 of 5044 Old 11-08-2019, 12:20 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsterdam80 View Post
The 60hz was with YUV 4:2:0 and that setting gives me HDR on my TV. I just tried it with the Shield outputting to 24hz but unfortunately I still get the same issue on the projector.

https://imgur.com/a/iMQ3Tvx

Already tried every image setting but when the projector detects HDR it will still switch and get the green/yellowish tint. I will be contacting Benq about my issue tomorrow.

I am wondering what kind of inputs people are using when they watch HDR on this projector? Anyone using a Nvidia Shield or a PS4 (nonpro)?
Using nvidia shield, HDR was broken in one of the last fw, but it's working well again with that latest update, anyway for media player I use mainly coreelec with odroid N2, the shield is mainly for streaming netflix, etc, never had any issues with HDR in fact looks gorgeous even with default settings.

I see you are using the new shield model, I do not know if the HDR issue affects also this one.

Last edited by pviader; 11-08-2019 at 12:23 PM.
post #4964 of 5044 Old 11-08-2019, 12:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked: 470
so updates I called BenQ this morning about the screen randomly having half get darker. Them go away and come back and fade away oddly. They said its bad and to send it back. Because my unit has about 12 hours on it at this pint they considered the unit DOA. Amazon awesomely has non in stock so benQ said they will send me a new one out today and to ship the old one back once I get it with their mailing label. I find myself in a hard place as I dont want to really spend anymore on my projector than what I have so far. Aside form a refurbished 3550 I dont see a sharper image available to me. Even something like the Epson 6050 which is more than double the cost of the 3550 a friend would get me a great deal on still doesnt have the clarity of th HT3550. Sure the colors and blacks are better but I care more about how sharp it is. I will say BenQ support is great and I value that. So Ill stick with benq for now. Hope the next one I get works out.

"we need more power" - My Wife.

Theater Build Thread - Wartooth
post #4965 of 5044 Old 11-08-2019, 01:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonslush View Post
so updates I called BenQ this morning about the screen randomly having half get darker. Them go away and come back and fade away oddly. They said its bad and to send it back. Because my unit has about 12 hours on it at this pint they considered the unit DOA. Amazon awesomely has non in stock so benQ said they will send me a new one out today and to ship the old one back once I get it with their mailing label. I find myself in a hard place as I dont want to really spend anymore on my projector than what I have so far. Aside form a refurbished 3550 I dont see a sharper image available to me. Even something like the Epson 6050 which is more than double the cost of the 3550 a friend would get me a great deal on still doesnt have the clarity of th HT3550. Sure the colors and blacks are better but I care more about how sharp it is. I will say BenQ support is great and I value that. So Ill stick with benq for now. Hope the next one I get works out.
Did you check out Epson 3800?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
post #4966 of 5044 Old 11-09-2019, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pviader View Post
Using nvidia shield, HDR was broken in one of the last fw, but it's working well again with that latest update, anyway for media player I use mainly coreelec with odroid N2, the shield is mainly for streaming netflix, etc, never had any issues with HDR in fact looks gorgeous even with default settings.

I see you are using the new shield model, I do not know if the HDR issue affects also this one.
Thanks for letting me know. I really don't think my Shield is the problem since I have the same issues with my PS4.

I called Benq and they asked me to send the projector to them instead of the webshop so that they can exchange it for a new one from different batch.
post #4967 of 5044 Old 11-09-2019, 10:19 AM

Hi Guys
I am thinking of getting this projector. I currently have a benq w1070 which is approx 93" away from the screen(92" diag image).
Would I get the same image size with the w2700 at this distance?
Also I am torn as to if I should use my current setup(lg C7 65" OLED TV with my electric projector screen coming down in front of the tv when needed) or sell the oled and go with a fixed screen for the projector and use it for everyday use?
I use the room for Netflix, gaming and movies(man cave)
Any opinions?
ng4ever likes this.
post #4968 of 5044 Old 11-09-2019, 11:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 798 Post(s)
Liked: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by disco74 View Post
Hi Guys
I am thinking of getting this projector. I currently have a benq w1070 which is approx 93" away from the screen(92" diag image).
Also I am torn as to if I should use my current setup(lg C7 65" OLED TV with my electric projector screen coming down in front of the tv when needed) or sell the oled and go with a fixed screen for the projector and use it for everyday use?
Any opinions?
The W2700 (HT3550) should provide the same image size at that distance:

https://www.projectorcentral.com/Ben...ulator-pro.htm

I use projectors for all my viewing on my 145in grey painted screen and I've never considered using a flat panel TV since.
ng4ever likes this.
post #4969 of 5044 Old 11-09-2019, 12:20 PM

Im just worried I'll miss the inky blacks of the oled
post #4970 of 5044 Old 11-09-2019, 09:13 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Im just worried I'll miss the inky blacks of the oled
I don’t. YMMV

Audio: Onkyo TX-NR1010 | Front (L/R) Sony SS-U421AV | Front (C) Sony SS-CN5000 | Rear (L/R) Sony SSF-5000 | Sub (1) Polk Audio PSW505
Video: BenQ W1070 | Elite Screens Sable Frame B2, 92-inch 16:9 (SB92WH2)
Sources: PS4 | PC | Switch | Wii U
Cable: DELONG 10m (33ft) Fiber Optic HDMI
post #4971 of 5044 Old 11-09-2019, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Hi Guys
Any opinions?
92"??? I wouldn't even bother. I would sell the OLED and buy a Sony 900F 85 inch LED or a Samsung QN85Q70R 85 inch LED. Either would out perform a HT3550 in every category.
ng4ever likes this.

post #4972 of 5044 Old 11-09-2019, 11:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1736 Post(s)
Liked: 4983
Did a little comparison between the blu ray version of Gamer and the 4k hdr vudu stream.
Both looked excellent but I would give the overall nod to the 1080p blu ray for clarity and detail.
Colors were a bit better in the vudu stream though.
Blu ray was in cinema mode, smart eco with bc on.
Vudu stream was in hdr10, smart eco with iris on high and bc on. Wcg off.
ng4ever and Barry McKean like this.

Last edited by subacabra; 11-09-2019 at 11:07 PM.
post #4973 of 5044 Old 11-10-2019, 07:38 PM

Just got a mini fridge for the theater room I think this will help me a lot while watching movies! Plus put me more in the mood! Got it on sale too.

I would take a picture but to lazy/busy going to go watch a movie or two!
post #4974 of 5044 Old 11-11-2019, 08:32 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
[/QUOTE] There is also a new issue I didn't have with my first one, and that's light spillage onto the wall either side of the screen. My settings are the same as my first one, and I have also left 1-2mm space before the black border of the screen. It's hard to see the tiny gap between the image and border in the photo, but it is there. I've checked the keystone and that makes no difference. Again, settings are the same as my first one, and my first one could actually go into the black border and not have any light spillage. [/QUOTE]

HI Barry. I'm having the same problem with light spillage on the sides of the screen. Were you able to figure it out? Thanks so much in advance.
post #4975 of 5044 Old 11-11-2019, 08:45 AM

Quote:
So I may have spoken too soon....

Hey everyone, quick update:

Firmware revision 1.0.4 is inbound. I don’t have notes yet on what is being changed/updated but I should have more information the first week of November.
HI Sage. I was hoping you could help me out. I tried to update my firmware to 1.0.2 and I'm getting an error saying that there is no updated firmware on my usb. I am currently running 1.0.1. I downloaded and unzipped the file to my thumbdrive. Also, I have some light bleed on the sides of screen. It's the strangest thing. It's not on the top and bottom, just on the sides. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
post #4976 of 5044 Old 11-11-2019, 09:08 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Law007316 View Post
HI Barry. I'm having the same problem with light spillage on the sides of the screen. Were you able to figure it out? Thanks so much in advance.
Hi Law, no I didn't get it resolved. It developed more issues and I sent it back for a refund. I've been following this thread to see if all the issues have been sorted before a buy again. I know a lot have been dealt with, but sadly not enough for me to take the chance of getting a dodgy one again. I may wait till next year now to how this model fairs.
post #4977 of 5044 Old 11-11-2019, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry McKean View Post
Hi Law, no I didn't get it resolved. It developed more issues and I sent it back for a refund. I've been following this thread to see if all the issues have been sorted before a buy again. I know a lot have been dealt with, but sadly not enough for me to take the chance of getting a dodgy one again. I may wait till next year now to how this model fairs.

Where did you buy it from ?
post #4978 of 5044 Old 11-11-2019, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Where did you buy it from ?
I bought mine direct from Benq. Got it on the last refurb sale...
post #4979 of 5044 Old 11-11-2019, 10:53 AM

Also, is there a trick to updating the firmware? I’m having a heck of a time...
post #4980 of 5044 Old 11-11-2019, 11:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Law007316 View Post
Also, is there a trick to updating the firmware? I’m having a heck of a time...
Did you see the how to on the BenQ website? It's buried in the FAQs. https://www.benq.com/en-us/support/d...q-k-00012.html
ng4ever likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page