BenQ W2700 / HT3550 Announcement and Owner’s Thread - Page 190 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3125Likes

post #5671 of 5894 Old 01-10-2020, 01:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfield View Post
So, perhaps someone else who has owned their HT3550 longer has experienced this:

Randomly, while viewing the projector will go black and make a single click noise, same as when it turns on. No image for about 3-5 seconds and then it comes right back. Almost as if it’s switching resolution.

Updated firmware already. Seems to happen more with 4K content I think.
What is your source? I had a similar issue with the Optoma when watching Netflix on the Xbox but would not happen when watching a blue ray, when the picture came back the PJ was displaying the resolution again (as if it switched). Your problem could be similar to mine or it could be a bad HDMI cable..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5672 of 5894 Old 01-10-2020, 06:38 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talontsi96 View Post
Quote:
So, perhaps someone else who has owned their HT3550 longer has experienced this:

Randomly, while viewing the projector will go black and make a single click noise, same as when it turns on. No image for about 3-5 seconds and then it comes right back. Almost as if it’️s switching resolution.

What is your source? I had a similar issue with the Optoma when watching Netflix on the Xbox but would not happen when watching a blue ray, when the picture came back the PJ was displaying the resolution again (as if it switched). Your problem could be similar to mine or it could be a bad HDMI cable..
It’s an ATV 4K through a Denon X3500H or a TiVo Bolt through the same. I’ll have to continue testing to see if I can replicate it with any regularity. So far, I’ve mainly only been watching 4K HDR on ATV save from some hockey games here and there.

I’ve only got like 20 hours on it so far, so I’ll need time to make adjustments I think.
post #5673 of 5894 Old 01-10-2020, 11:09 PM

I have the latest firmware on my HT3550 yet I see the iris constantly making adjustments on a Prime Video show I was watching today. This makes the screen to kinda go brighter and dimmer like three four times in a second (quickly unlike typical iris pumping). Is this normal on this PJ. Its a bit annoying. I'll have to check on other content. So far I don't think it was doing it on any other footage I tried.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5674 of 5894 Old 01-11-2020, 02:01 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talontsi96 View Post
Quote:

Randomly, while viewing the projector will go black and make a single click noise, same as when it turns on. No image for about 3-5 seconds and then it comes right back. Almost as if it’️s switching resolution.

It’s an ATV 4K through a Denon X3500H or a TiVo Bolt through the same. I’ll have to continue testing to see if I can replicate it with any regularity. So far, I’ve mainly only been watching 4K HDR on ATV save from some hockey games here and there.

I’ve only got like 20 hours on it so far, so I’ll need time to make adjustments I think.
That just sounds like a normal thing to me not a hdmi issue. Have you got match frame rate set to on in the Apple TV settings? That’s probably what’s doing it. Some 4K sources on Netflix are 4K60. Mine does it all the time it’s just adjusting frame rates. If you turn it off you might get judder. I have my ATV set to 4K SDR at 60 seems to be the best option for me and minimises the amount of time the projector has to flick from one resolution and frame rate to the next. I don’t know why Apple TV can’t just offer an automatic setting like every other device I have does.
post #5675 of 5894 Old 01-11-2020, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebezzer View Post
That just sounds like a normal thing to me not a hdmi issue. Have you got match frame rate set to on in the Apple TV settings? That’s probably what’s doing it. Some 4K sources on Netflix are 4K60. Mine does it all the time it’s just adjusting frame rates. If you turn it off you might get judder. I have my ATV set to 4K SDR at 60 seems to be the best option for me and minimises the amount of time the projector has to flick from one resolution and frame rate to the next. I don’t know why Apple TV can’t just offer an automatic setting like every other device I have does.
You know what, I think you're probably right. I have the ATV set to match dynamic range but not frame rate. I just assumed that watching a show/movie in the frame rate intended by the maker. It's odd that it would do it while something was playing and not right as it started, but I think you're correct. It seems like it's probably ATV setting the frame rate and the PJ responding to it.

Next on the line of strange things with this product. As we were watching Aladdin (new) last night, I noticed that 1/2 of the screen was darker than the other. Split right down the middle. I checked my settings to see what I could turn on/off to correct it and found that the Dynamic Iris had changed from high to off. I turned it back on to high and the problem was resolved.
post #5676 of 5894 Old 01-11-2020, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Quote:
That just sounds like a normal thing to me not a hdmi issue. Have you got match frame rate set to on in the Apple TV settings? That’️s probably what’️s doing it. Some 4K sources on Netflix are 4K60. Mine does it all the time it’️s just adjusting frame rates. If you turn it off you might get judder. I have my ATV set to 4K SDR at 60 seems to be the best option for me and minimises the amount of time the projector has to flick from one resolution and frame rate to the next. I don’️t know why Apple TV can’️t just offer an automatic setting like every other device I have does.
You know what, I think you're probably right. I have the ATV set to match dynamic range but not frame rate. I just assumed that watching a show/movie in the frame rate intended by the maker. It's odd that it would do it while something was playing and not right as it started, but I think you're correct. It seems like it's probably ATV setting the frame rate and the PJ responding to it.
I’d recommend you turn frame rate on rather than off and see how you get on. What’s your ATV PQ setting on is it set to HDR or SDR? I have mine at SDR @ 60hz then let ATV determine the HDR content when it’s available otherwise the ATV menu looks all wishy washy when set to HDR all the time. Also I have my Denon hdmi video conversion set to “on” so it decides the PQ coming from the ATV then sends to the projector. It seems to work much faster with that on than with it switched off. Try that too
post #5677 of 5894 Old 01-11-2020, 07:53 AM

Quote:
I’d recommend you turn frame rate on rather than off and see how you get on. What’s your ATV PQ setting on is it set to HDR or SDR? I have mine at SDR @ 60hz then let ATV determine the HDR content when it’s available otherwise the ATV menu looks all wishy washy when set to HDR all the time. Also I have my Denon hdmi video conversion set to “on” so it decides the PQ coming from the ATV then sends to the projector. It seems to work much faster with that on than with it switched off. Try that too
Thanks for that. I have the the ATV set to 4k HDR. I'll mess with the settings to see if I can get a better result. I don't know what settings I have from the Denon, but I probably set it to pass through whatever is coming in.

Since we are talking settings. When I originally set up my PJ I turned both WCG and BC on because the picture looked punchier and the darks seemed really deep. Last night I switched both off because it felt like the colors were more accurate that way. But the darks don't seem as dark with both off. With just WCG on, the picture seems too "blue shifted" or cool. Thoughts?
post #5678 of 5894 Old 01-11-2020, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Quote:
I’️d recommend you turn frame rate on rather than off and see how you get on. What’️s your ATV PQ setting on is it set to HDR or SDR? I have mine at SDR @ 60hz then let ATV determine the HDR content when it’️s available otherwise the ATV menu looks all wishy washy when set to HDR all the time. Also I have my Denon hdmi video conversion set to “on” so it decides the PQ coming from the ATV then sends to the projector. It seems to work much faster with that on than with it switched off. Try that too
Thanks for that. I have the the ATV set to 4k HDR. I'll mess with the settings to see if I can get a better result. I don't know what settings I have from the Denon, but I probably set it to pass through whatever is coming in.

Since we are talking settings. When I originally set up my PJ I turned both WCG and BC on because the picture looked punchier and the darks seemed really deep. Last night I switched both off because it felt like the colors were more accurate that way. But the darks don't seem as dark with both off. With just WCG on, the picture seems too "blue shifted" or cool. Thoughts?
Video conversion is different to pass through I find Denon is quite good at determining the signal and has less handshake issues with it switched on. Leave IP scaled off though. Have a go setting the ATV to 4K SDR and see how you get on.

On my PJ I always have BC off and WCG on it does look bluer in comparison but after a few hours viewing when you switch back you’ll see that the whole picture looks green. Especially with BC on. It’s down to personal preference but I enjoy mine better with BC off I find it blows out whites especially when there’s a sky or clouds and with WCG the colours are a lot more nuanced. Up to you to what you prefer there’s no projector police 🚨
post #5679 of 5894 Old 01-11-2020, 02:12 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 58
BenQ W2700 / HT3550 Announcement and Owner’s Thread

For appleTV set it to 4K SDR then match frame rate and match content

For dynamic iris, no iris is perfect and some scenes may cause issues; when they do, if it bothers you then the bottom left button of the remote is dynamic iris so you can click that a few times to turn it off without even bothering with a menu; then turn back on after watching so it’s back on for the 95% of content that it works well on.

Again, wcg on and brilliant color off. That is the only way you get the full color spectrum (actually 105% or whatever). Any other setting and you are just robbing yourself of color.

If that is too blue on your projector, then use a calibration disc or image to adjust your blues accordingly. But you need that mode to get your full color.
springfield likes this.

Last edited by Fastrabbit19; 01-11-2020 at 02:17 PM.
post #5680 of 5894 Old 01-11-2020, 06:26 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Some people earlier mentioned a "pink bloom" or brown blacks with this projector. That definitely seems to be the case if you've got the iris off and that gets better with the higher settings. I just wish I didn't notice it flickering as much as I do on most things.
Pics are off, low, medium, and high.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
diablo900t likes this.
post #5681 of 5894 Old 01-11-2020, 07:23 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xealo View Post
Those of you that have gotten your unit with a build date within the last 3 months; is your unit quiet on normal lamp mode? Or is it pretty noisy?
I bought in October 2019. It makes quite a lot of sound when starting. Later sound reduces but it still much my than my previous projector by Epson. Which firmware you have ?
post #5682 of 5894 Old 01-11-2020, 09:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincool View Post
I bought in October 2019. It makes quite a lot of sound when starting. Later sound reduces but it still much my than my previous projector by Epson. Which firmware you have ?
Yes it's definitely louder than my old w1070.... You can select silent mode which helps but leaves it in 1080p. I'm considering building a hush box
post #5683 of 5894 Old 01-12-2020, 12:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1836 Post(s)
Liked: 5263
Mine is pretty much right above me and my Aircom T8 fan is way more annoying lol
post #5684 of 5894 Old 01-12-2020, 07:48 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I have a quirky thing from the ht3550 remote happening...When i use another remote like my harmony remote and press any botton it activates the benq remote menu. Anyone know why this happens?, thanks in advance for any advice...
Freddicus likes this.
post #5685 of 5894 Old 01-12-2020, 09:06 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Jumping back in here after stepping away for a bit.

With the undeniable nightmare that was my customer service and RMA process via Benq that pretty much soured me on all things HT3550 at the time I thought it be best that I step back and just use the projector without trying to find little niggles and bits that only annoy me if I look for the them and see if I could tester that sourness ... and I’m happy to report I’ve kind of hootenanny into a groove with this projector and for the most part I’m pretty happy with it.

For those who don’t know I had some horrible issues with my first couple of units. The XPR just randomly shutting off, crazy barrel distortion, unacceptable CA, HDMI sync issues, split screen issues, etc ... basically a combination of every issue that has been brought up here plus more. As an early adopter I almost bake these issues into ownership of a new piece of hardware so those issues in and of itself didn’t bother me so much as the horrific the customer service. Long story shorter it took from may until august to get a functioning unit with Benq either ghosting me for weeks on end or stating they sent out a replacement unit when they never actually did until I would contact them about not receiving a unit and copying every contact Benq I could find did I get someone to help.

Anyway, once I received my current unit (an August 2019 model) I understood that being way outside of a return window there was no option other than to ride the projector out and see where I was being unreasonable due to my bad experience but also realize what some of genuine issues with the unit actually are.

As I prefaced this post with I’ve grown to enjoy the projector. It runs relatively issue free (we’ll get to those issues at the end) throws and very nice picture. The 4K implementation still isn’t as “wow” as my initial unit, I honestly believe this is partly exposure and partly this unit, but 4K does look quite nice and the color accuracy for me has been fantastic. Where it has really shined for me has been gaming, more specifically HDR gaming. Running my PS4 at 4K HDR or my PC at 1080p 120hz HDR has been some of the best gaming experiences I’ve ever had. I’m 99.9 percent an offline, non twitch, story based single player story mode kind of guy so the lag, which super slightly detectable when I first started using the projector, for me has been a zero issue. And one of my biggest fears with those unit was linen output, but for a non light controlled room that can get a decent amount of ambient light I have not once felt the need for more lumens.

But this unit still isn’t without it’s issues. Nothing crazy or deal breaker worthy but they exist.
•First is I do lose signal from HDMI every now and then, few and far between but a quick source change fixes this.
•The projector does randomly go into “saving power, reducing lumen mode” randomly when in the middle of watching something. This is separate for the losing HDMI signal issue.
•It’s randomly shut off a handful of times.
If I use smart eco I get crazy banding and the occasional split screen issue. I prefer BC on and a medium iris so it’s not a huge issue for me but it sucks to know that it’s in there, plus I might use those other mode if it wasn’t.
•The change to a green test pattern to hide CA still irks me.
•I get a flicker/sync issue while streaming in 4:4:4 or 4:2:2, I have to drop down to 4:2:0 to remove the flicker (this could be a cable or PGU issue so it might not be the HT3550)

For how poopily my experience with the HT3550 started off I’d have to say it’s made up some ground in my favor. I dig it, it’s a really quirky unit with brilliant pluses but equally frustrating minuses. I will say though, I’ve never been happier to have a 3 year warranty in my life ... pretty sure I’ll be utilizing that sucker a couple of times over those 3 years.
curtlots likes this.

Beer Massif/ve Beers :: U.S. based windbag who won't shut up about beer :: Lord Commander of the Beer Massif Podcast ::youtube.com/massivebeers
BenQ W1070 | 100" Dalite Fixed Screen
Onkyo NR-676 | BIC America: DV64 Towers : DV62CLR-S Center : DV62si Surrounds : V1020 Sub
Intel 2600k at 4.6GHZ w/ Asus GTX1070 | Playstation 4 | Playstation 3
post #5686 of 5894 Old 01-12-2020, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subacabra View Post
Mine is pretty much right above me and my Aircom T8 fan is way more annoying lol
Mine too. I have it literally above my head and I can not even really hear it. Like I say, if the heat comes on, I can hear the air coming out of the vents louder than the projector. Although when measuring between the two the Optoma was quieter, in actual practice when watching content, I don't really hear the difference between the two.

Last edited by Talontsi96; 01-13-2020 at 10:10 AM.
post #5687 of 5894 Old 01-12-2020, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcast01 View Post
I have a quirky thing from the ht3550 remote happening...When i use another remote like my harmony remote and press any botton it activates the benq remote menu. Anyone know why this happens?, thanks in advance for any advice...
Whatever button you are pressing on your other remote must be on the same IR frequency as the Benq. I had this happen when I was playing around with both projectors (Pptoma and BenQ0 the power button on the Optoma remote would turn the power off on both projectors.
post #5688 of 5894 Old 01-12-2020, 12:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Feature request for next firmware: direct button to advanced setttings.
JPHCCFC likes this.
post #5689 of 5894 Old 01-12-2020, 03:36 PM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
I have this problem with the HT5550 as well with my Harmony remote. Whatever was the last command I issued is repeated constantly. I have to press the Back button on the projector remote to resolve.

Example: If I changed the Iris or Lamp mode, when pressing volume up for the stereo, my Harmony remote does that and repeats the last BenQ command, so it'd cycle those modes as I changed the volume.

I did report this to BenQ but they didn't acknowledge the issue or a fix.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Freddicus likes this.
post #5690 of 5894 Old 01-12-2020, 07:01 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:

Randomly, while viewing the projector will go black and make a single click noise, same as when it turns on. No image for about 3-5 seconds and then it comes right back. Almost as if it’s switching resolution.

I am having similar issues. It doesn't go black while viewing but it goes black for about 3-4 seconds while starting the PJ. The split screen issue is not there anymore after turning off BC but it comes momentarily and goes away. However, now the problem is display goes half bright and dark vertically when i change program (Pls refer the pic attached). It happens when I change from Apple TV to Prime or after changing from AVR setting to Fire stick. In fact when I go to settings of my AVR the display goes blank for about 3-4 secs before it switches over the AVR settings. Same happens when I return from AVR settings to Firestick. I mostly use Firestick to stream movies. Apple TV is installed in Firestick. MY AVR is Marantz SR5011. I have not upgraded firmware of my BenQ W2700 since i purchased it October 2019.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1682.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	726.4 KB
ID:	2669016  
post #5691 of 5894 Old 01-12-2020, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo900t View Post
I have this problem with the HT5550 as well with my Harmony remote. Whatever was the last command I issued is repeated constantly. I have to press the Back button on the projector remote to resolve.

Example: If I changed the Iris or Lamp mode, when pressing volume up for the stereo, my Harmony remote does that and repeats the last BenQ command, so it'd cycle those modes as I changed the volume.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
I found a temporary solution for this problem with the benq menu being activated, is to just press the green/on power button on the benq remote once after you are finished using the menus and that will stop the harmony remote from turning on the benq menu....I hope Benq finds a better fix for this issue.
Freddicus likes this.

Last edited by dcast01; 01-13-2020 at 12:03 AM.
post #5692 of 5894 Old 01-13-2020, 04:50 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
I found a temporary solution for this problem with the benq menu being activated, is to just press the green/on power button on the benq remote once after you are finished using the menus and that will stop the harmony remote from turning on the benq menu....I hope Benq finds a better fix for this issue.
It's certainly a better fix than turning the projector off as I was doing when I encountered this problem, thanks!

I have quite a few issues with the remote commands. At first, I thought it was because it shared some command codes with the Apple TV, but yesterday I was using my Zidoo X9S box and it appears that pressing left on the Zidoo remote turns down the Benq volume whilst right turns it up!

I use Harmony as well, but it happens with the original remotes too.
post #5693 of 5894 Old 01-13-2020, 04:55 AM

I experienced a couple of issues with 3D yesterday, and I was wondering if anyone had seen them.

I played a full 3D film from my Zidoo X9S and it played fine. Before playing the next film, I thought I'd experiment with the Dynamic Iris as I hadn't enabled it for 3D mode before.

This appeared to cause HDMI cut outs every few minutes. Strangely, it went straight from have a picture to the 'Time to do your bit for saving the planet' message. I normally only see that after 'No Signal' has been on for a while.

Turning off DI fixed it, but I don't understand why that should make a difference to the HDMI signal!

I then tried to play a 3D film from my Blu-Ray player and got an error message that the player could not detect the Benq as a 3D display. This is strange because it worked fine when I used it a month ago.

Has anyone had similar problems?
post #5694 of 5894 Old 01-13-2020, 08:16 AM

Just a quick question, does the ht3550 upconverts a 720p movie stream to a 4k one?

Thanks

Last edited by dcast01; 01-13-2020 at 08:31 AM.
post #5695 of 5894 Old 01-13-2020, 10:58 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb975 View Post
Quote:
It's certainly a better fix than turning the projector off as I was doing when I encountered this problem, thanks!

I have quite a few issues with the remote commands. At first, I thought it was because it shared some command codes with the Apple TV, but yesterday I was using my Zidoo X9S box and it appears that pressing left on the Zidoo remote turns down the Benq volume whilst right turns it up!

I use Harmony as well, but it happens with the original remotes too.
I had this problem originally and found it only happens to me if I exit the settings menu by pressing MENU and not BACK. I added the BACK button as the EXIT button on the harmony and all is good now. Somehow pressing BACK gets it out of settings mode and also stops it reaponsong to Apple TV commands. Just pressing menu leaves it responding to those commands.
diablo900t likes this.
post #5696 of 5894 Old 01-13-2020, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martlist View Post
I had this problem originally and found it only happens to me if I exit the settings menu by pressing MENU and not BACK. I added the BACK button as the EXIT button on the harmony and all is good now. Somehow pressing BACK gets it out of settings mode and also stops it reaponsong to Apple TV commands. Just pressing menu leaves it responding to those commands.
Thanks for that, I'll try it out.
post #5697 of 5894 Old 01-14-2020, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martlist View Post
Yes good find that works as well...only use the back button to exit the menu.
post #5698 of 5894 Old 01-14-2020, 02:41 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked: 1007
Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo900t View Post
Not BenQ's problem. If none of the original remotes affect the BenQ, then it is an issue with the Harmony.

"VCR was in the closet. Still works. Can't get the clock to stop blinking, though."
Angela - Animal Kingdom - 7/16/19
My 2017 Total Solar Eclipse Photos
post #5699 of 5894 Old 01-14-2020, 05:57 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Just a quick question, does the ht3550 upconverts a 720p movie stream to a 4k one?

Thanks
Yes, it accepts 720p and upscales it to 4k, with acceptable results I may say
post #5700 of 5894 Old 01-14-2020, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pviader View Post
Yes, it accepts 720p and upscales it to 4k, with acceptable results I may say
Yes i agree not quite as good as a 4k source but acceptable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page