BenQ W2700 / HT3550 Announcement and Owner’s Thread - Page 191 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3075Likes

post #5701 of 5727 Old 01-14-2020, 07:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincool View Post
I am having similar issues. It doesn't go black while viewing but it goes black for about 3-4 seconds while starting the PJ. The split screen issue is not there anymore after turning off BC but it comes momentarily and goes away. However, now the problem is display goes half bright and dark vertically when i change program (Pls refer the pic attached). It happens when I change from Apple TV to Prime or after changing from AVR setting to Fire stick. In fact when I go to settings of my AVR the display goes blank for about 3-4 secs before it switches over the AVR settings. Same happens when I return from AVR settings to Firestick. I mostly use Firestick to stream movies. Apple TV is installed in Firestick. MY AVR is Marantz SR5011. I have not upgraded firmware of my BenQ W2700 since i purchased it October 2019.
This half/split screen issue is pretty annoying....while it's easily fixed via BC on and off...this occurs regularly on 4k content....is this a software or hardware issue? Have BenQ acknowledged it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5702 of 5727 Old 01-14-2020, 11:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1805 Post(s)
Liked: 5154
Took a few videos tonight of Terminator Dark Fate vudu stream.
Overall the movie is rather dark and I experimented with hdr brightness at +1 but settled back to my usual 0.
Here are a couple videos. I tried an hdr recording with my phone but didn't adjust anything so take it as it is.
Here is a regular recording. I noticed some banding in bright sky scenes, even with bc off etc. I tested the same scenes on my calibrated 900e and the banding was still present. Hoping the disc is better.
And finally I did a quick recording of the fan noise in eco lamp mode.
post #5703 of 5727 Old 01-15-2020, 09:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 1
BenQ W2700 / HT3550 Announcement and Owner’s Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPHCCFC View Post
This half/split screen issue is pretty annoying....while it's easily fixed via BC on and off...this occurs regularly on 4k content....is this a software or hardware issue? Have BenQ acknowledged it?

Software. For improvement, you might want to contact BenQ Customer Care team locally. Their response and turnaround time is pretty good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Jeffrey Chiafu Hsieh; 01-17-2020 at 01:35 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5704 of 5727 Old 01-15-2020, 10:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Found an Issue with HDMI 1 on my new HT3550

I got my HT 3550 a week ago and installed on my ceiling mount to replace a 6 year old Benq 1070 that is having bulb errors (official Benq bulb). The 1070 bulb shuts off in the middle of Xbox games after about 30 mins consistently so I decided it was time to upgrade and giving my 1070 to my Father-In-Law.

Well after setting up the projector with a new fiber hdmi cable to make sure I have enough bandwidth for 4k60 signal. I noticed that the image projected wasn't very good. The resolution looked much higher then the 1070 projector I was replacing but the colors were off especially in the HDR10 mode that the projector automatically goes into when playing 4K UHD blurays.

At first I thought it was a problem with the source (Xbox one S) so I switch over to my other source a 2 year old Nvidia Shield. I had the same problem the Nvidia shield. The image color had no depth to it. Looks like a water color painting to me. I figured I'll let the bulb break in some to see if it got better. I also tried to make some adjustments to color and hdr settings and nothing seems to help.

So after a week I started to feel like I paid too much money for this thing and that I would send it back to Amazon and just get the new Epson 3800.

The color and image on my old 1070 always look great so I decided to hook that one back up using the new fiber cable and see if the problem was the cable.

The image and color of the 1070 was much better than the color on the 3550 so I feel that the hdmi cable is good.

Next, I decided I will return the 3550 this weekend but I wanted to play some xbox so I plug the fiber hdmi back into the 3550 and launch a game and immediately notice the picture and color in HDR10 pic mode looked great. Now I'm like wow this is looking much better than before. I wondered if the cable wasn't plug in good initially but I checked it and it didn't seem loose before.

While doing more testing I see that after re-connecting the cable that I had put it in HDMI 2 (because I had to change the input on the projector to get an image) when the image looked correct. Since the picture looks great in HDMI2 I climb up and move the cable to HDMI1 (where it was originally) and restart the same bluray and low and behold the image and color looked terrible again. I switched the cable a few more times between Hdmi 1 and Hdmi2 and each time the colors were terrible on HDMI1 and perfect on HDMI2.

Has any else run into the situation with this projector? I'm thinking about returning anyway because I'm aware of what seems like a manufacturing problem with it. Is there supposed to be a difference in the two HDMI ports on the projector?
post #5705 of 5727 Old 01-16-2020, 09:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 820 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney Garner View Post
I got my HT 3550 a week ago and installed on my ceiling mount to replace a 6 year old Benq 1070 that is having bulb errors (official Benq bulb). The 1070 bulb shuts off in the middle of Xbox games after about 30 mins consistently so I decided it was time to upgrade and giving my 1070 to my Father-In-Law.

Well after setting up the projector with a new fiber hdmi cable to make sure I have enough bandwidth for 4k60 signal. I noticed that the image projected wasn't very good. The resolution looked much higher then the 1070 projector I was replacing but the colors were off especially in the HDR10 mode that the projector automatically goes into when playing 4K UHD blurays.

At first I thought it was a problem with the source (Xbox one S) so I switch over to my other source a 2 year old Nvidia Shield. I had the same problem the Nvidia shield. The image color had no depth to it. Looks like a water color painting to me. I figured I'll let the bulb break in some to see if it got better. I also tried to make some adjustments to color and hdr settings and nothing seems to help.

So after a week I started to feel like I paid too much money for this thing and that I would send it back to Amazon and just get the new Epson 3800.

The color and image on my old 1070 always look great so I decided to hook that one back up using the new fiber cable and see if the problem was the cable.

The image and color of the 1070 was much better than the color on the 3550 so I feel that the hdmi cable is good.

Next, I decided I will return the 3550 this weekend but I wanted to play some xbox so I plug the fiber hdmi back into the 3550 and launch a game and immediately notice the picture and color in HDR10 pic mode looked great. Now I'm like wow this is looking much better than before. I wondered if the cable wasn't plug in good initially but I checked it and it didn't seem loose before.

While doing more testing I see that after re-connecting the cable that I had put it in HDMI 2 (because I had to change the input on the projector to get an image) when the image looked correct. Since the picture looks great in HDMI2 I climb up and move the cable to HDMI1 (where it was originally) and restart the same bluray and low and behold the image and color looked terrible again. I switched the cable a few more times between Hdmi 1 and Hdmi2 and each time the colors were terrible on HDMI1 and perfect on HDMI2.

Has any else run into the situation with this projector? I'm thinking about returning anyway because I'm aware of what seems like a manufacturing problem with it. Is there supposed to be a difference in the two HDMI ports on the projector?
My colors are off and been off from day 1. Especially in HDR10 mode. WCG is a hot green mess. I’ve tried contacting BenQ so many times it’s not even funny. They keep telling me they never receive my emails. Because I’m so lazy, I’ve just been dealing with it.

Going to try HDMI 2 tonight...
post #5706 of 5727 Old 01-16-2020, 09:17 AM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 56

Having color like that is a settings issue.

Each input has its own settings so that’s why it works on one but not the other

You need to turn it on and play hdr content and then go to menu and reset picture settings (ensure you get confirmation window that it reset them)

If that doesn’t fix it, go to hdmi settings and change from rgb to yuv etc until you get the right one.

It’s not a bad projector, it’s just the settings. HDR is more complex than hd with the 1070 was. You have to ensure both input and output are matching settings for color space and bandwidth etc. Having color way off or tinted one color or another is a sign that you have a setting off or a settings mismatch.

Don’t return the projector; it works on one input so there is nothing wrong with it; you just have different settings on one input than the other; resetting picture settings should fix that.

Once you fix the color issue, turn on WCG and turn off Brilliant Color

Last edited by Fastrabbit19; 01-16-2020 at 09:21 AM.
post #5707 of 5727 Old 01-16-2020, 09:45 AM

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastrabbit19 View Post

You need to turn it on and play hdr content and then go to menu and reset picture settings (ensure you get confirmation window that it reset them)

If that doesn’t fix it, go to hdmi settings and change from rgb to yuv etc until you get the right one.

It’s not a bad projector, it’s just the settings. HDR is more complex than hd with the 1070 was. You have to ensure both input and output are matching settings for color space and bandwidth etc. Having color way off or tinted one color or another is a sign that you have a setting off or a settings mismatch.

Don’t return the projector; it works on one input so there is nothing wrong with it; you just have different settings on one input than the other; resetting picture settings should fix that.

Why do you keep telling everyone to turn off brilliant color?

In my setup, turning BC on for HDR material gives an overall better picture, and overall brighter picture.

With WCG on and BC on my projector reach over 90% of DCI-P3, which is very good.

I recommend people to try both.

Last edited by Nordvarg; 01-16-2020 at 10:01 AM.
post #5708 of 5727 Old 01-16-2020, 10:04 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordvarg View Post
Why do you keep telling everyone to turn off brilliant color?

In my setup, turning BC on for HDR material gives an overall better picture, and overall brighter picture.

With WCG on and BC on my projector reach over 90% of DCI-P3, which is very good.

I recommend people to try both.
I'm agree with you, i just bought a x-rite display pro and this is my result :

With or without BC, no many change with gamut, but with stock settings, BC on got temp color better and more brightness.
post #5709 of 5727 Old 01-16-2020, 10:05 AM

Because it takes 10 seconds to just turn it on and off a few times when there is white on the screen to see that it tints everything green.

You lose about 15% of the spectrum by turning it on, lose color accuracy, and turn everything green.

The only benefit is more lumens, but then get a tk850 if you need more lumens
post #5710 of 5727 Old 01-16-2020, 10:11 AM

Well if you go to a white scene and turn it on and off and don’t see the green tint then do what your own eyes tell you.

But it’s clear to me and others that it adds a green tint and from testing it lowers the spectrum thus the recommendation to turn it off.
post #5711 of 5727 Old 01-16-2020, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneil50 View Post
I'm agree with you, i just bought a x-rite display pro and this is my result :

With or without BC, no many change with gamut, but with stock settings, BC on got temp color better and more brightness.

You didn’t turn WCG on, the most important setting!
post #5712 of 5727 Old 01-16-2020, 10:15 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
You didn’t turn WCG on, the most important setting!
I did on others test :

Not enough brightness for me with this filter. 15FTL with BC on or 12,5 without...
post #5713 of 5727 Old 01-16-2020, 10:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Bc on with my unit just makes whites brighter. I get no green tint. I prefer it off(and wcg off) and find I get the most natural looking picture.
maglo125 likes this.
post #5714 of 5727 Old 01-16-2020, 10:35 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the suggestion.

I'll try looking at the settings before I send the projector back to make sure the setting are the problem. I will test by taking the setting on HDMI2 and applying the exact same settings to HDMI1. In theory if there is no difference in each port and they have the same settings the picture should look the same. One thing to mention is that I've "reset the current picture mode" on HDMI1 settings a few times before I discovered HDMI2 looked better than HDMI1 and the colors still looked off. Also, the HDMI2 settings haven't been changed since I discovered how good it looked with the default settings. I also applied the firmware 1.05 last week hoping that would have fixed the color issue but wish I had tested both HDMI ports before updating the projector.

Ill try and report back to the forum with my results.
post #5715 of 5727 Old 01-16-2020, 10:46 AM

Yeah, like I said, go with your own eyes as you are the one watching it

Objectively the tests showed:

Wcg off, bc on: 59.2% of dci-p3
Wcg on, bc on: 76.4% of dci-p3
Wcg on, bc off: 105.6% of dci-p3

So yeah, I’m recommending people start with 105% instead of 59% of the standard

If you think it’s too dark, then get a tk850 which will do better than 59.2% with the brighter image.

Subjectively, if you put on an hdr scene with snow or a white room or whatever, it’s clear that the white is correct with bc off(wcg on) and gets tinted greenish/yellow with bc on
post #5716 of 5727 Old 01-16-2020, 10:51 AM

For reset picture settings, make sure you click left to choose yes and get confirmation modal that it did reset them; the UI makes it look like yes is highlighted to start so easy to just click enter and not actually change it.

And then the other main culprit is the hdmi settings ->hdmi format; change those and see what happens
post #5717 of 5727 Old 01-16-2020, 11:21 AM

Pictures don’t come across great, but here is bc off and then bc on

In the first, white is white, grey is grey and yellow is yellow

In the second, the white has a yellowish-greenish tint, the grey is yellowish and the yellow looks like someone added a bit of green paint to the pallete and mixed them together

I think the grey bars stand out the most in these pics and also the right dark grey bars is much lighter so I gotta be losing some contrast by turning it on.

Last edited by Fastrabbit19; 01-16-2020 at 11:31 AM.
post #5718 of 5727 Old 01-16-2020, 11:58 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Yeah, like I said, go with your own eyes as you are the one watching it

Objectively the tests showed:

Wcg off, bc on: 59.2% of dci-p3
Wcg on, bc on: 76.4% of dci-p3
Wcg on, bc off: 105.6% of dci-p3

So yeah, I’m recommending people start with 105% instead of 59% of the standard

If you think it’s too dark, then get a tk850 which will do better than 59.2% with the brighter image.

Subjectively, if you put on an hdr scene with snow or a white room or whatever, it’s clear that the white is correct with bc off(wcg on) and gets tinted greenish/yellow with bc on
For myself, I just can't get used to having WCG on. I don't know if it's an issue with my projector, but the colors seem way off. I'll try to get some pics tonight.

I have been reading all the posts regarding BC though. I have always seemed to like it better on (maybe because of brighter picture), but have noticed something that changed my mind with HDR content. With BC on, in any outdoor scenes where you can see the sky, I notice a lot of artifacts. When I turn BC off, these artifacts go away. Has anyone else noticed this?
post #5719 of 5727 Old 01-16-2020, 05:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by file8761 View Post
For myself, I just can't get used to having WCG on. I don't know if it's an issue with my projector, but the colors seem way off. I'll try to get some pics tonight.

I have been reading all the posts regarding BC though. I have always seemed to like it better on (maybe because of brighter picture), but have noticed something that changed my mind with HDR content. With BC on, in any outdoor scenes where you can see the sky, I notice a lot of artifacts. When I turn BC off, these artifacts go away. Has anyone else noticed this?
Yes, I noticed some banding in bright sky scenes with bc on. Think I posted some comparison shots a couple weeks ago.
post #5720 of 5727 Old 01-17-2020, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney Garner View Post
Thanks for the suggestion.

I'll try looking at the settings before I send the projector back to make sure the setting are the problem. I will test by taking the setting on HDMI2 and applying the exact same settings to HDMI1. In theory if there is no difference in each port and they have the same settings the picture should look the same. One thing to mention is that I've "reset the current picture mode" on HDMI1 settings a few times before I discovered HDMI2 looked better than HDMI1 and the colors still looked off. Also, the HDMI2 settings haven't been changed since I discovered how good it looked with the default settings. I also applied the firmware 1.05 last week hoping that would have fixed the color issue but wish I had tested both HDMI ports before updating the projector.

Ill try and report back to the forum with my results.

I reapplied the 1.05 firmware last night then reset the HDMI1 settings and that definitely improved the picture but HDMI 2 still looked better. Then I accidently reset HDMI 2 and now the colors on both ports look a little off in the HDR10 mode.

I think the picture is good but I remember HDMI2 picture looking better before the reset. I'm gonna try a different fiber hdmi cable.
post #5721 of 5727 Old 01-17-2020, 10:56 AM

You also ensured hdmi settings (rgb, Yuv limited, Yuv full) was on the best setting?

Also, a reset will turn on bc so make sure after reset you turn on wcg and off bc

And it may set sharpness to 15, in which case you probably want to lower that to the 6-8 range
post #5722 of 5727 Old 01-17-2020, 11:01 AM

Quote:
You also ensured hdmi settings (rgb, Yuv limited, Yuv full) was on the best setting?

Also, a reset will turn on bc so make sure after reset you turn on wcg and off bc

And it may set sharpness to 15, in which case you probably want to lower that to the 6-8 range

I will try your suggestions.

I think the initial problem may have been in the HDMI format settings menu. I thing it currently set to Auto before I may have been to YUV limited or something.

Thanks for the help.
post #5723 of 5727 Old 01-17-2020, 12:01 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
streaming 3d on the Ht3550

Is streaming 3d content possible on the Ht3550?....I tried the 3d content on Vudu and it appears to not work on HT3550...thanks
post #5724 of 5727 Old 01-17-2020, 01:00 PM

There shouldn’t be a reason it cares if it’s streaming or from disc.

I’ve never streamed 3d from vudu but it seems like only some devices support it and you need the 3D app and then you need to ensure to match the mode (e.g., side by side) with the projector. I think it should be automatic tho if you put 3D in auto mode.

I haven’t done 3D yet on 3550 but I think it should auto detect 3D and go into that mode, otherwise you may need to select 3D to turn it to that.

Does the same vudu content from same device play in 3D on another display?

In general, if the source is sending 3D to a display that isn’t in 3D mode then it’s pretty obvious (2 stacked images, 2 side by side images, etc) so if BenQ isn’t going into 3D mode and the image looks normal, then you aren’t actually streaming 3D to the projector and need to look into vudu and streaming device support to find out how to stream 3D.
post #5725 of 5727 Old Yesterday, 02:43 AM

Liked: 1
Wonder what type of fans are inside. If nothing unusual then replacing them with Noctua should make it silent.
JPHCCFC likes this.
post #5726 of 5727 Old Yesterday, 07:05 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcast01 View Post
Is streaming 3d content possible on the Ht3550?....I tried the 3d content on Vudu and it appears to not work on HT3550...thanks
Have you resolved the 3D Vudu streaming issue? What device are you streaming from (I.e. Roku)? Try forcing the output from the device to 1080P and attempt again.
post #5727 of 5727 Old Today, 01:20 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Looks like your measuement result were so different to other website announced. Your results were showed too much off to the targets. My measurement of HT5550 were quite similar to BenQ and other website announced. So I believe you still got chance to improve your HT3550.

I just replace my screen to 135'' acoustical one, so the screen placement has to be changed and need a suitable projector to fully project my 135'' screen. So I sold my HT5550 and down grade to HT3550. I will get my HT3550 few days later and will again measure and test HT3550. Since I had both HT5550 & HT3550, I will do some comparison of the measurements. At the same time, I maybe can find out some PQ difference between both projectors. Will update my review soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneil50 View Post
I did on others test :

Not enough brightness for me with this filter. 15FTL with BC on or 12,5 without...

BDP:Sony UBP-X800 LCR:M&K MPS2510 SL/SB/SBL/SBR: M&K MPS1625×4 SUB:Rythmik FV15HP+DEQ2496 HT Prepro: Lexicon MC12B EQ/Anthem MRX510 Power Amp:Lexicon RX7
Music server: HTPC i5 2300 Jriver Stereo preamp: Bremester 897+MBL 1511F DAC USB Power Amp: Monarchy Audio SE-100 Pure Class A mono mono PJ: Twin Optoma HD25/ BenQ HT5550, XYScreen 8K Acoustical 135” gain 1.2 **Measurements of BenQ HT5550 **
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page