BenQ W2700 / HT3550 Announcement and Owner’s Thread - Page 196 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3125Likes

post #5851 of 5896 Old 02-11-2020, 10:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo900t View Post
I had a similar problem with the HT5550. My original unit developed a black spot in the middle of the screen after about 8 months of use. BenQ replaced it, no questions asked with a new unit. Unfortunately, the new unit arrived and had a bright white spot, which oddly appeared outside of the image area. I could see it on my wall outside of the projector screen border. I ended up getting another replacement, which so far, has been problem free.

I recommend contacting support, they should be able to send you out a replacement with a shipping label to send the old one back.
I started the process for a replacement just hope i don't have to go thru this again...I'm thinking that this 4k version of projector is more vulnerable to technical issues....is this true?

thanks for the feed back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5852 of 5896 Old 02-11-2020, 04:36 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Istarth View Post
Not all.... My problem seems to be inside Picture > Advance > Color Management

There is no way to reset to factory for settings inside "Advance" !! no matter if u use "reset current picture mode" (inside picture menu) or "reset all settings" (inside system setup: advanced) those settings are keep !

Please !! Is there anyway to be able to REAL reset W2700 to factory default ¿?

TY !

If you made any changes in Advance Menu and then you wanted to change back to factory default, you’d need to go to “Picture\Reset Current Picture Mode” to reset all settings. Hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5853 of 5896 Old 02-12-2020, 12:50 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Chiafu Hsieh View Post
If you made any changes in Advance Menu and then you wanted to change back to factory default, you’d need to go to “Picture\Reset Current Picture Mode” to reset all settings. Hope this helps

That would be great but... I am so sorry but "reset current picture mode" does not reset anything inside "advance" it only reset settings in main picture settings.... Seems there is no way at all to reset all settings inside "advance".....

Thanks !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5854 of 5896 Old 02-12-2020, 02:18 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Ok been using my w2700 snce launch about 350 hours on the lamp, so i fired it up Saturday night to watch a flick from my odroid n2 and was greeted wth no signal message checked hdmi going into marantz receiver, checked hdmi gong into the projector fine. So i tried hdmi 2 input stll no signal, went through settings tried all the source settings an hdmi settings still nowt, it was late so i gave up.
Sunday afternoon i decided to troubleshoot it thoroughly, took the reciever out of the chain and connected the projector directly to the media player still no signal, out of sheer desperation i pressed the default button on the remote and lo and behold the projector received signal an the frontend of media player was displayed. So i proceed to re-introduce my receiver back into the chain an all is fine it displays the media player and my htpc, so i proceed to update firmware and have a pleasant evening watching 4k hdr cut of Doctor Sleep.
So i fire up the projector today and i get no signal just spent the last hour toubleshooting and no joy tried both hdmi inputs on projector both hdmi outs on receiver, connected projector directly to pc and media player, tried the default button on the remote auto searching and manually selecting source nothings working.
I am using an Amazon basics 5 metre hdmi 2.0 cable, not ideal as i have to run it down center of the room but the 15 meter didnt work or the LinkinPerk 15m fiber optic cable either, so i stuck with it.
Surely this wouldn't just decide to stop working, after all i watched a movie using it since upgrading
from FW 1.02-1.05.
Any ideas appreciated ?
post #5855 of 5896 Old 02-12-2020, 07:33 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Is there an update that fixes the yellow/purple tint screen? I am changing the HDMI settings and it is not working. I have version 1.03.
Thanks
post #5856 of 5896 Old 02-12-2020, 10:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Help!

I have netflix 4K and chromecast ultra and the resolution Im havin is 2160p. Internet is 100mbts so it should be enough. Is it even possible to get full 4K resolution through chromecast ultra? Thanks!
post #5857 of 5896 Old 02-12-2020, 11:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1023 Post(s)
Liked: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaadu View Post
Help!

I have netflix 4K and chromecast ultra and the resolution Im havin is 2160p. Internet is 100mbts so it should be enough. Is it even possible to get full 4K resolution through chromecast ultra? Thanks!
2160p = 3840 x 2160 = consumer 4K
post #5858 of 5896 Old 02-13-2020, 08:20 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelscott73 View Post
Is there an update that fixes the yellow/purple tint screen? I am changing the HDMI settings and it is not working. I have version 1.03.
Thanks
Reset picture settings worked, but now switching HDR off with a 4K Blu-ray the picture is too dark. Plus now one of the HDMI inputs isn’t recognizing content.
I’m feeling like I should keep the refurbished I have which didn’t have problems. Will going from 3-5 fix a lot of these issues?
post #5859 of 5896 Old 02-13-2020, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Istarth View Post
That would be great but... I am so sorry but "reset current picture mode" does not reset anything inside "advance" it only reset settings in main picture settings.... Seems there is no way at all to reset all settings inside "advance".....

Thanks !

It works on mine.
Not sure if you’d want to try factory reset but if factory reset don’t work then you’d want to contact BenQ.

maglo likes this.
post #5860 of 5896 Old 02-13-2020, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoboj View Post
I've had similar issues with the noise level. I returned my first unit for a replacement, as it was ridiculously loud.
The second unit was quite a lot quieter, but for me only bearable in Silent mode.

What I have found is that if your projector is ceiling mounted then the noise level is approximately twice as loud. If I change the mounting position in the menus to be simply be Front, rather than Front Ceiling, so the picture appears upside down, the fan noise decreases markedly. As mine's connected to a PC I can then rotate the image 180° so everything is oriented correctly. It does seem crazy to me that changing the mount position in the menus affects fan noise so drastically. This was the same on both units I've had so I suspect it's true of other units.

Ha that was very creative! My experience with all projectors tells me the image settings between ceiling-mount and table-top always trigger the different speed mode on its cooling fans.

maglo likes this.
post #5861 of 5896 Old 02-14-2020, 09:27 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Just tested this with my PJ and is "almost" quiet when set to Table front display instead of Ceiling...

Is it possible to modify the fan settings in the service menu? Or even exchange the fans with some from the likes of Noctua/BeQuiet?
post #5862 of 5896 Old 02-14-2020, 10:02 AM

Ok so i've gotten round to testing and on my original 5m amazon basics hdmi 2.0 4k basic cable that i have been using happily since launch i get no signal whatsoever no matter what i do not from the ordoid n2 or my htpc.
The only other cable i had was a 10m amazon high speed cable with ethernet, so i tried that and i got signal from htpc but it lost it and came back every 5 seconds, on the Odroid the pcture for the coreelec front end was stable, but when i tried to play a movie the screen blanked out and gave me no signal message.
All this behaviour is exactly what i experienced when testing the two 15m cables that failed when i initially brought the projector, why the 5m amazon 4k basics i have been using has suddenly started not working is a mystery to me, but i just tested it on the odroid and its dead as a doorknob, first time i've had an hdmi cable just die on me.
Looks like its time for me to invest in that 15m hdmi 2.0 cable better that then the projector return hassle i suppose.
Any confirmed working 15m cables not ridiculously priced suggestions please.
post #5863 of 5896 Old 02-14-2020, 12:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbinator1 View Post
Ok so i've gotten round to testing and on my original 5m amazon basics hdmi 2.0 4k basic cable that i have been using happily since launch i get no signal whatsoever no matter what i do not from the ordoid n2 or my htpc.
The only other cable i had was a 10m amazon high speed cable with ethernet, so i tried that and i got signal from htpc but it lost it and came back every 5 seconds, on the Odroid the pcture for the coreelec front end was stable, but when i tried to play a movie the screen blanked out and gave me no signal message.
All this behaviour is exactly what i experienced when testing the two 15m cables that failed when i initially brought the projector, why the 5m amazon 4k basics i have been using has suddenly started not working is a mystery to me, but i just tested it on the odroid and its dead as a doorknob, first time i've had an hdmi cable just die on me.
Looks like its time for me to invest in that 15m hdmi 2.0 cable better that then the projector return hassle i suppose.
I'm using this one with no problems. I tried some other non-fiber cables previous to this that didn't work. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
post #5864 of 5896 Old 02-14-2020, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtlots View Post
I'm using this one with no problems. I tried some other non-fiber cables previous to this that didn't work. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Thanks for the tip but i unfortunately cant find that particular cable in uk, i have previously tried the 15 meter Amazon basics 4k cable and the linkin -perk fibre cable both failed.
I just ordered the
ATZEBE HDMI Cable 15M fibre optic at 46.99gbp if this doesnt work i'll try the ugreen or ruipro but both at 129gbp so fingers crossed on my punt
curtlots likes this.
post #5865 of 5896 Old 02-15-2020, 02:00 PM

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbinator1 View Post

I’ve used this 25’ fiber cable with 0 hdmi connection issues for months now. It’s a bit cheaper and the 15’ should be even cheaper.

Fiber HDMI Cable 4k 25ft, Nylon Braided HDMI Fiber Optic Cable Supports 4K @ 60Hz (4:4:4, Dolby Vision, HDR), High Speed 18Gbps, 3D Slim and Flexible https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RVJ1YQK..._PTfsEb0GQDGN8
post #5866 of 5896 Old 02-15-2020, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunMunro View Post
2160p = 3840 x 2160 = consumer 4K
Damn, the things u learn everyday. Netflix HD subscription gives me also 2160p. So with 4k subscription HDR is only upgrade im having.
post #5867 of 5896 Old 02-15-2020, 10:16 PM

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 58
BenQ W2700 / HT3550 Announcement and Owner’s Thread

You are also getting 4K instead of HD

2160 is 4k

It’s 4x the resolution of HD (1080) because it’s twice the vertical and twice the horizontal, so 2x2=4 times the resolution

There is no 4K that is above 2160; you’d have to go to 8k for that and good luck getting a sub-$10k 8k projector (not to mention source material). This projector will never say a number greater than 2160

Last edited by Fastrabbit19; 02-15-2020 at 10:20 PM.
post #5868 of 5896 Old 02-16-2020, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastrabbit19 View Post
I’ve used this 25’ fiber cable with 0 hdmi connection issues for months now. It’s a bit cheaper and the 15’ should be even cheaper.

Fiber HDMI Cable 4k 25ft, Nylon Braided HDMI Fiber Optic Cable Supports 4K @ 60Hz (4:4:4, Dolby Vision, HDR), High Speed 18Gbps, 3D Slim and Flexible https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RVJ1YQK..._PTfsEb0GQDGN8
Cheers mate will try to hunt it down here in uk as the Aztebe fibre optic cable i brought was another fail.
The one you have suggested isn't available on amazon uk, have spent the last hour browsing amazon uk, have decided to order a bunch and test and return the ones that fail.
A hassle but i ust want to get it sorted now

Last edited by herbinator1; 02-16-2020 at 10:42 AM.
post #5869 of 5896 Old 02-16-2020, 03:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1837 Post(s)
Liked: 5265
Ford vs Ferrari 4k disc looking amazing!

sbddvm, sparky7 and Samfield like this.

Last edited by subacabra; 02-16-2020 at 03:21 PM.
post #5870 of 5896 Old 02-16-2020, 10:13 PM

4K gamers out there!

If U play with ECOmode how´s the noise? And how´s the pixel shifting noise?

That is the only thing I can´t test so I´d be very grateful for the info!
post #5871 of 5896 Old 02-18-2020, 12:02 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Question Upgrade from HT2550 to HT3550? Noise?

Can anyone tell me if the fan noise from the HT3550 is about the same as the HT2550? Or is it worse?

I don't have a problem with the noise level from my HT2550 fan although in the rare silent scene I can hear it.

I have been looking hard at the Benq HT5550 and the Epson 5050UB but with all of this HDR tone mapping technology seeming to be in it's infancy I think I'm going to wait another generation before jumping into the mid-level ($2500-$4000) projector market. I'd also like to see what the next advancements in affordable laser/led technology bring as I am in Texas and any reduced heat output vs a lamp projector would be welcome.

As a stop gap for the next year or so I would like to upgrade to the HT3550 since the consensus I've seen it that it is a high step above the HT2550 in regards to black levels and HDR performance. I'm just worried about the fan noise.

Last edited by zambine; 02-18-2020 at 12:06 PM.
post #5872 of 5896 Old 02-18-2020, 04:27 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi,

I just picked up this projector yesterday. It's also my first 4K device of any kind. I have paired it with a Chromecast Ultra. Streaming service and youtube all look great. HDR and 4K looking fine. My standard Plex 1080p content looking fine too.
I downloaded some 10bit HDR content and chucked it on Plex to see how it goes. Unfortunately everything looks washed out. This is common when a device isn't compatible with HDR but it's trying to play HDR content. A bit of research has suggested this might be due to the colour space on these files being bt2020. Should this projector be able to play that colour space without an issue? Is there settings that should be changed. I am trying to identify where in the chain this problem lies, however Plex forums suggest Chromecast Ultra should handle it fine.
post #5873 of 5896 Old 02-18-2020, 08:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1157 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by zambine View Post
Can anyone tell me if the fan noise from the HT3550 is about the same as the HT2550? Or is it worse?

I don't have a problem with the noise level from my HT2550 fan although in the rare silent scene I can hear it.

I have been looking hard at the Benq HT5550 and the Epson 5050UB but with all of this HDR tone mapping technology seeming to be in it's infancy I think I'm going to wait another generation before jumping into the mid-level ($2500-$4000) projector market. I'd also like to see what the next advancements in affordable laser/led technology bring as I am in Texas and any reduced heat output vs a lamp projector would be welcome.

As a stop gap for the next year or so I would like to upgrade to the HT3550 since the consensus I've seen it that it is a high step above the HT2550 in regards to black levels and HDR performance. I'm just worried about the fan noise.
According to the specifications at least, the HT2550 is 33/29dB and 30/28dBA for the HT3550.

A silent alternative in the 4K space is the Optoma UHD50/51A, overall similar to the HT3550 in terms of picture quality.
How large is the screen?

Black level if affected by room setup and ambient light.
Example:
https://www.facebook.com/projectiond...2721894385217/

Is there any ambient light? What color are the walls?

It's probably going to be a while before dynamic tone mapping for hdr comes to projectors (excluding jvc), the other features of the projector are still important (i.e. contrast and black level).
post #5874 of 5896 Old 02-18-2020, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noob00224 View Post
According to the specifications at least, the HT2550 is 33/29dB and 30/28dBA for the HT3550.

A silent alternative in the 4K space is the Optoma UHD50/51A, overall similar to the HT3550 in terms of picture quality.
How large is the screen?

Example:

It's probably going to be a while before dynamic tone mapping for hdr comes to projectors (excluding jvc), the other features of the projector are still important (i.e. contrast and black level).
It's a 120in screen in a completely light controlled room 95% of the time. Black matte ceiling and dark matte velvet red walls.

I was under the impression that the HT3550 had some form of dynamic tone mapping. Is that not the case?

I'd also like better input lag since I am 60/40 movies/games but I'm willing to stick it out with BenQ a couple more years due to the great price/value ratio. I would like love to try out a mid-level Epson but I've always had DLP projectors and the reports of lack of sharpness scare me.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk
post #5875 of 5896 Old 02-18-2020, 10:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zambine View Post
It's a 120in screen in a completely light controlled room 95% of the time. Black matte ceiling and dark matte velvet red walls.

I was under the impression that the HT3550 had some form of dynamic tone mapping. Is that not the case?

I'd also like better input lag since I am 60/40 movies/games but I'm willing to stick it out with BenQ a couple more years due to the great price/value ratio. I would like love to try out a mid-level Epson but I've always had DLP projectors and the reports of lack of sharpness scare me.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk
Screen brightness is a subjective measure, so the HT3550 could be bright enough on ECO on a 120" screen.

No projector has dynamic tone mapping except for latest JVC NX series.
Some of the external options for dynamic are Madvr Envy or madvr on a htpc. Still a static tone mapping option, but some users have Panasonic UB420/820/9000 (last two have Dolby Vision) which can improve HDR PQ on even the 5050UB.

That room makes possible for a projector with better black level/contrast. Unfortunately 3LCD on Epsons are not as sharp as some 4K DLP's, but it's a very subjective topic. UB series (5xxx/6xxx) have different components from the HC3xxx/2xxx series including better lenses which help with sharpness. The better contrast in the UB series also helps with contrast.

Sharpness is also affected by the source, original resolution, etc.

How far away is the seating distance?

Epsons also generally have ~mid 20ms lag in both 4K and 1080p. It's unclear what the lag for 4K projectors is for a 4K source.

IMO a projector with good black level/contrast like the 5050UB will do much better than a 4K DLP picture quality wise. A 5040UB refurb can be had at a much lower price, but only has a 10GB HDMI, which means that for gaming or some streaming services that require 4K HDR 60Hz the bit depth requires to be dropped to 8bit from 10. This can be done with a PC/other device or a HDfury Linker or similar.

The HT5550 has a native contrast of ~700:1, while the UB series is ~4000:1. The HT5550 achieves better black level (still not as good as the UB's) via an iris, which can cause pumping artifacts, extra noise, and lowers the brightness of the entire image.

DLP has better motion handling than 3LCD< but 3LCD is still ok:

HT3550 on the left, HC3800 on the right:

post #5876 of 5896 Old 02-19-2020, 02:16 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Is it difficult to replace a lamp in a projector yourself ?
post #5877 of 5896 Old 02-19-2020, 06:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ng4ever View Post
Is it difficult to replace a lamp in a projector yourself ?
No.

ng4ever likes this.
post #5878 of 5896 Old 02-20-2020, 02:24 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Summerhays View Post
Hi,

I just picked up this projector yesterday. It's also my first 4K device of any kind. I have paired it with a Chromecast Ultra. Streaming service and youtube all look great. HDR and 4K looking fine. My standard Plex 1080p content looking fine too.
I downloaded some 10bit HDR content and chucked it on Plex to see how it goes. Unfortunately everything looks washed out. This is common when a device isn't compatible with HDR but it's trying to play HDR content. A bit of research has suggested this might be due to the colour space on these files being bt2020. Should this projector be able to play that colour space without an issue? Is there settings that should be changed. I am trying to identify where in the chain this problem lies, however Plex forums suggest Chromecast Ultra should handle it fine.

Is Plex transcoding the file? does your Plex client support HDR playback?
post #5879 of 5896 Old 02-20-2020, 02:30 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by noob00224 View Post

How large is the screen?

Example:

Since firmware v1.0.5, "auto tome mapping for HDR" has been added. Whatever that means.

There are more discussion around it in this thread's page: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...hread-181.html
post #5880 of 5896 Old 02-20-2020, 01:47 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invisible Kid View Post
Since firmware v1.0.5, "auto tome mapping for HDR" has been added. Whatever that means.

There are more discussion around it in this thread's page: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...hread-181.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
I’ll get it done this weekend. Probably can’t promise today though— still have the TK850 up and it’s my priority right now as working on a review.
Hi sage11x,

I read through this thread but might have missed when you circled back around on your opinion of the v1.0.5 firmware, specifically the auto tone mapping. I'm trying to make a decision if I am going to upgrade from my HT2550 to an HT3550 for the short term (1-2 years). I really want to jump into the $2,500k-$3500 level of projectors but I'm struggling to find something compelling at that price point with all of this auto tone mapping and solid state light source technology seemingly being in it infancy for this generation of PJs. Epson's seem to check all the boxes for me right now but the sharpness worries me as I've always been a DLP guy and my MLP is only 10 feet away from a 120" screen.

I think you also said that BENQ may be putting out a low input lag gaming rig this year? Any news on that? Honestly that is one of the big things keeping me from jumping on the HT5550 for the long term.

Last edited by zambine; 02-20-2020 at 01:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page