BenQ W2700 / HT3550 Announcement and Owner’s Thread - Page 197 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3258Likes

post #5881 of 6204 Old 02-21-2020, 02:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I am going to start again as I've done a lot of troubleshooting since my first post.

I bought the W2700 and a Chromecast Ultra this week. My first leap into 4K and HDR. I have been going INSANE over the past few days.

What I have discovered is, Chromecast Ultra into projector works fine with HDR. Chromecast Ultra via my receiver (VSX-830) doesn't work. Yes, this receiver is meant to pass through HDR and 4K. If I have the 4K setting to 4:2:0, it passes through 4K, but doesn't detect anything as HDR. So any HDR content looks awful. If I set to 4:4:4, I can hear the audio, but no image.

After hours and hours or troubleshooting, I happened to stumble across a cheap newer receiver at my local retailer for $180, so I bought it. The Yamaha HTR-2071. I figured if I can get the Pioneer returned under warranty, at least I won't be waiting for weeks for a receiver.

So, THE SAME PROBLEM HAPPENS ON THE YAMAHA...again, it's advertised to support 4K and HDR feed through. What am I doing wrong?!? I eventually threw in the towel and decided I'll have to live with Chromecast direct into projector, then audio via ARC...but I have discovered that only delivers stereo audio, not 5.1...

GDHDGKJHLKJHGDJK

I have also tried a different HDMI between the receiver and projector. No difference. Both are 'high speed' cables. All that is left is to try another 4K device, incase this problem is isolated to the Chromecast Ultra. I feel that is unlikely and it will just be more money down the drain for me to buy another 4K device. It's been like four days and I havn't actually got to watch anything on my new projector
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5882 of 6204 Old 02-21-2020, 09:33 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 149
It’s always the cables
post #5883 of 6204 Old 02-21-2020, 07:47 PM

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Summerhays View Post
I am going to start again as I've done a lot of troubleshooting since my first post.

I bought the W2700 and a Chromecast Ultra this week. My first leap into 4K and HDR. I have been going INSANE over the past few days.

What I have discovered is, Chromecast Ultra into projector works fine with HDR. Chromecast Ultra via my receiver (VSX-830) doesn't work. Yes, this receiver is meant to pass through HDR and 4K. If I have the 4K setting to 4:2:0, it passes through 4K, but doesn't detect anything as HDR. So any HDR content looks awful. If I set to 4:4:4, I can hear the audio, but no image.

After hours and hours or troubleshooting, I happened to stumble across a cheap newer receiver at my local retailer for $180, so I bought it. The Yamaha HTR-2071. I figured if I can get the Pioneer returned under warranty, at least I won't be waiting for weeks for a receiver.

So, THE SAME PROBLEM HAPPENS ON THE YAMAHA...again, it's advertised to support 4K and HDR feed through. What am I doing wrong?!? I eventually threw in the towel and decided I'll have to live with Chromecast direct into projector, then audio via ARC...but I have discovered that only delivers stereo audio, not 5.1...

GDHDGKJHLKJHGDJK

I have also tried a different HDMI between the receiver and projector. No difference. Both are 'high speed' cables. All that is left is to try another 4K device, incase this problem is isolated to the Chromecast Ultra. I feel that is unlikely and it will just be more money down the drain for me to buy another 4K device. It's been like four days and I havn't actually got to watch anything on my new projector

This is a cable problem, I'm almost sure😊

You need Premium certified cables, not "High Speed", in your entire chain from source to display.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5884 of 6204 Old 02-22-2020, 12:45 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Pls advise I am unable to decide between Epson 6050ub/tw9400 or Benq w2700 . It is for home use with 11ft throw distance. Iam getting offer, There is no much price difference between these two. Or should I go with lg hu80ka which is more priced.
post #5885 of 6204 Old 02-22-2020, 03:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohammed Muzaffar Hussain View Post
Pls advise I am unable to decide between Epson 6050ub/tw9400 or Benq w2700 . It is for home use with 11ft throw distance. Iam getting offer, There is no much price difference between these two. Or should I go with lg hu80ka which is more priced.
If the Epson 6050 is the same price as the BenQ 2700, I can't imagine not going for the Epson.
post #5886 of 6204 Old 02-22-2020, 05:45 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Ok...so I'm on replacement number three. First one flickered like crazy when the Iris was enabled and the second had frequent split screen issues. The new one doesn't suffer from either of those problems at least not yet. This one is rev 06-104, Sept 2019 and it's incredibly noisey in 24hz mode...fine at 60hz. At 24hz it doesn't sound smooth...like a cha-chunk that repeats. Has anyone seen this? Maybe needs to be broken in? I don't remember hearing this on the others.
post #5887 of 6204 Old 02-23-2020, 08:58 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 27
How are you setting it to 60hz to combat the fan noise?
post #5888 of 6204 Old 02-23-2020, 09:14 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordvarg View Post
This is a cable problem, I'm almost sure😊

You need Premium certified cables, not "High Speed", in your entire chain from source to display.
You hit the nail on the head. Ha. I feel like an idiot. Goes to show you can't trust when I cable is marketed as "4K COMPATIBLE ULTRA HIGH SPEED BLAH BLAH"

Funnily enough, a $9 5M HDMI from my local Officeworks here in Australia did the job. I figured before sinking $100 into a premium certified HDMI, I'd try a cheapy from a trusted retailed here in Aus. Expensive lesson. Thankfully someone is willing to buy the second receiver I bought the the price I bought it, so not at a loss.
post #5889 of 6204 Old 02-24-2020, 01:53 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Chiafu Hsieh View Post
It works on mine.
https://youtu.be/JxFpwsC0Z1w
Not sure if you’d want to try factory reset but if factory reset don’t work then you’d want to contact BenQ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The video is "private" cannot be played please can you make it public or just shared to my ¿?

TY !
post #5890 of 6204 Old 02-24-2020, 03:55 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 9
This is a nice thread. From the amount of post here and the price range of the ht3550 I'm guessing there are quite a few of these set up in rooms with light walls and white ceilings. How are they holding up? I'd like to hear some experiences in this setup.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
post #5891 of 6204 Old 02-24-2020, 06:21 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Dynamic Iris problem?

Well i Just received a replacement for the ht3350 i sent back under warranty for a stuck pixel....Now this new unit apparently makes a creaking sound when the Dynamic Iris is engaged....However when i turn dynamic iris off no more creaking sounds.. It is just barely noticeable, but it is very noticeable on quiet scenes. The creaking sounds go on and off as the scenes change from dark to light. Is this a faulty projector?....By the way my first HT3550 had no such issue....BenQ what is going on with quality control??

Thanks

Last edited by dcast01; 02-24-2020 at 06:53 PM.
post #5892 of 6204 Old 02-25-2020, 12:51 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manisfive View Post
This is a nice thread. From the amount of post here and the price range of the ht3550 I'm guessing there are quite a few of these set up in rooms with light walls and white ceilings. How are they holding up? I'd like to hear some experiences in this setup.

I have mine in room with white walls/ceiling. When the scene is half black/white. the light from the bright part reflected by the room kind of washes out the black part, but otherwise, on generally dark scenes or bright scenes, it's not a problem.
Manisfive likes this.
post #5893 of 6204 Old 02-25-2020, 01:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 1794 Post(s)
Liked: 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manisfive View Post

With any projector:
https://www.facebook.com/projectiond...2721894385217/
post #5894 of 6204 Old 02-25-2020, 04:15 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPHCCFC View Post
How are you setting it to 60hz to combat the fan noise?
I'm not really setting it to 24hz or 60hz....it's all in the content selected or having the source force 60hz even for 24hz content.
JPHCCFC likes this.
post #5895 of 6204 Old 02-26-2020, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcast01 View Post
Well i Just received a replacement for the ht3350 i sent back under warranty for a stuck pixel....Now this new unit apparently makes a creaking sound when the Dynamic Iris is engaged....However when i turn dynamic iris off no more creaking sounds.. It is just barely noticeable, but it is very noticeable on quiet scenes. The creaking sounds go on and off as the scenes change from dark to light. Is this a faulty projector?....By the way my first HT3550 had no such issue....BenQ what is going on with quality control??

Thanks
It looks like not many people have seen this issue with the dynamic iris before?
post #5896 of 6204 Old 02-26-2020, 10:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 224 Post(s)
Quoted: 3055 Post(s)
Liked: 3170
Quote:
It looks like not many people have seen this issue with the dynamic iris before?

My iris makes a faint sort of cracklings noise. It sounds like a quiet, distant air purifier.

But, for what it’s worth, the newer Tk850 is notably quieter. To be clear, I never found the HT3550’s iris noise invasive— it’s quieter than the Epson 3100 I had here for a few days— but the Tk850’s iris is nearly silent. Now, BenQ claims they use the exact same iris. Indicating to me that there may have been some improvements to the manufacturing along the way. I’d be curious to see if newly manufactured Ht3550s are quieter.

This isn’t unusual. My first PS4 pro sounds like a jet taking off while my new Pro is comparatively quiet. Manufacturers do improve product along the way.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
post #5897 of 6204 Old 02-26-2020, 12:21 PM

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
My iris makes a faint sort of cracklings noise. It sounds like a quiet, distant air purifier.

But, for what it’s worth, the newer Tk850 is notably quieter. To be clear, I never found the HT3550’s iris noise invasive— it’s quieter than the Epson 3100 I had here for a few days— but the Tk850’s iris is nearly silent. Now, BenQ claims they use the exact same iris. Indicating to me that there may have been some improvements to the manufacturing along the way. I’d be curious to see if newly manufactured Ht3550s are quieter.

This isn’t unusual. My first PS4 pro sounds like a jet taking off while my new Pro is comparatively quiet. Manufacturers do improve product along the way.
For anyone that upgraded from the w1070, was it a big upgrade? Worth the cost? I am happy with my 1070 but haven’t tried anything newer.
Yellbean likes this.
post #5898 of 6204 Old 02-27-2020, 11:43 AM

Quote:

Yes it does make a faint crackling sound , that sound goes on and off as the iris opens and closes it appears. However my first HT3550 was silent. So is this a normal function of the Iris or is it supposed to be silent? ..Not sure if i'll just bare the faint sounds or if it will get distracting enough to return.
post #5899 of 6204 Old 02-28-2020, 07:15 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Looks like I have to call support tomorrow, the projector doesn't want to turn on, green light ahead of power button keeps blinking, stops and then starts blinking again. The lamp never powers on. I have tried unplugging it, leaving it off, wait a few minutes, plug back in and same thing. Not happy.
post #5900 of 6204 Old 02-29-2020, 10:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by home4sale2 View Post
Looks like I have to call support tomorrow, the projector doesn't want to turn on, green light ahead of power button keeps blinking, stops and then starts blinking again. The lamp never powers on. I have tried unplugging it, leaving it off, wait a few minutes, plug back in and same thing. Not happy.

Do you have anything Plugged into the USB port?

Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

post #5901 of 6204 Old 02-29-2020, 10:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCMlover View Post
For anyone that upgraded from the w1070, was it a big upgrade? Worth the cost? I am happy with my 1070 but haven’t tried anything newer.

I was using an HT2050A before I received the Ht3550.

For movies, yes I feel the Ht3550 is worth it. In a dark room the Ht3550 produces deeper blacks, it’s HDR tone mapping makes for a beautifully punchy image and, of course, it’s much sharper than a 1080p display. Expectations are everything and everyone will have a different opinion here but, to me, the difference is substantial.

Now, for gaming, the answer is no. Unfortunately the HT3550 is saddled with fairly high latency making the HT2050A my go-to projector doesn’t gaming for the time being.
DCMlover likes this.

post #5902 of 6204 Old 02-29-2020, 10:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes it does make a faint crackling sound , that sound goes on and off as the iris opens and closes it appears. However my first HT3550 was silent. So is this a normal function of the Iris or is it supposed to be silent? ..Not sure if i'll just bare the faint sounds or if it will get distracting enough to return.

The normal function of the iris is to make that crackling noise. Every Ht3550 and Ht5550 I’ve heard makes that noise.

But, again, the TK850 seems to have a quieter iris. I rarely hear it on the TK. That could indicate an improvement in that models iris (which BenQ claims to be the same part) or it could be down to different iris tuning. The TK is aimed at bright room where, in theory, the iris would be used less.

post #5903 of 6204 Old 02-29-2020, 12:09 PM

Quote:
The normal function of the iris is to make that crackling noise. Every Ht3550 and Ht5550 I’ve heard makes that noise.

But, again, the TK850 seems to have a quieter iris. I rarely hear it on the TK. That could indicate an improvement in that models iris (which BenQ claims to be the same part) or it could be down to different iris tuning. The TK is aimed at bright room where, in theory, the iris would be used less.
That's Interesting that you say it's normal for the Dynamic Iris to make sounds when engages on and off.. I wonder if other owners of the Ht3550 hear the Iris opening and closing sound. Thanks for responding.
post #5904 of 6204 Old 02-29-2020, 12:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked: 5724
I just hear a light "ticking" noise with my iris.
sparky7 likes this.
post #5905 of 6204 Old 02-29-2020, 02:15 PM

[QUOTE=subacabra;59313512]I just hear a light "ticking" noise with my iris.[/QUOTE

Yes that light ticking sound that goes on and off depending the scene, correct?
post #5906 of 6204 Old 02-29-2020, 03:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked: 5724
[quote=dcast01;59313844]
Quote:
Originally Posted by subacabra View Post
I just hear a light "ticking" noise with my iris.[/QUOTE

Yes that light ticking sound that goes on and off depending the scene, correct?
Yea, it's exactly that. My unit is right over my head and it doesn't bother me too much especially when watching anything other than low volume.
Just a little tick tick here and there.
I run my iris on high and if anything bothers me it's the slight visible flicker when it's doing it's thing.
Otherwise I'm still very happy with mine.
curtlots, sage11x and Manisfive like this.
post #5907 of 6204 Old 02-29-2020, 11:03 PM

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Do you have anything Plugged into the USB port?
Hi Sage, I do not and I even removed the HDMI cable. I left it unplugged completely for 24 hours and it attempts to start the bulb and I hear a faint crackle but the bulb never fires. Leads me to believe it's a blown capacitor or something, never gets enough power to kickstart the bulb. Support opens on Monday unless you have other ideas. If it was out of warranty, that case would be disassembled but I'll leave it alone.
post #5908 of 6204 Old 03-01-2020, 09:50 PM

Liked: 8
Has anyone find a solution to switch off or reduce the green tint in Bright picture mode?
post #5909 of 6204 Old 03-02-2020, 01:16 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaadu View Post
Has anyone find a solution to switch off or reduce the green tint in Bright picture mode?
Try turning off Brilliant Color, or reduce the green gain in Color Management settings. Both will reduce the overall brightness though. Bright mode is supposed to be the brightest image with no regard for picture accuracy, so it is never going to look all that great.
post #5910 of 6204 Old 03-02-2020, 05:09 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been thinking this year would be the year to upgrade my W1070. In the US. I'm looking for a preferably under $2k projector that does 4k and would be good for movies, streaming and gaming. I realize that I'm not getting the beat latency but something similar to the w1070 there would be fine. I believe my screen is around 130 inches and would want something with a similar throw distance to the w1070.

Based on the last few pages, it does not seem like the HT3550 is the best option. Am I correct in that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page