BenQ W2700 / HT3550 Announcement and Owner’s Thread - Page 207 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3249Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #6181 of 6194 Old 05-12-2020, 05:15 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Motion Blur

Hi!

Would have a question for all owners of the w2700. I have the projector for over a month. Lately I've noticed that the image in motion is very blurred. As soon as the camera moves only a few centimeters, it becomes blurred. When the camera stands still, everything is crisp 4k. Particularly noticeable on the faces. Beard stubble blur quite a bit. With Frame Interpolation it gets a little bit better. Since I noticed this blur, I can no longer really enjoy a movie. Is this a problem of the projector or of 4k resolution in general?

Kind regards
Fourfinger is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #6182 of 6194 Old 05-12-2020, 06:19 AM
Member
 
neotide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barth Netterfield View Post
Firmware update did not help.


So my options are:
-return the receiver and purchase a new brand (Sony STRDH790 ?)
or

-try a new brand of cable (BlueRigger 4K HDMI Cable - 15 Feet, Black,4K 60Hz, High Speed ?)


Thoughts?



As this doesn't seem to be an issue with the projector, so is there a better place for me to pose this question?
Try another cable. Depending on how far that run is you may need to get an optic HDMI cable. You can find the recommended brands by searching the thread. The Monoprice ones are terrible for this and I don't recommend.

AVR - Denon AVR-X4300H & NAD C 375BEE
Fronts - Magnepan MG12/QR / Center - Magnepan MGCC2
Satellites - 6 Monoprice Black Back 6.5 /Sub - SVS PB-1000
PRJ - BenQ HT3550 / SCN - SilverTicket STR-16992
Sources - Switch/PS4/Sony UBP-X800/Thorens TD166 MKII/Austin Audioworks Black Swan
neotide is offline  
post #6183 of 6194 Old 05-14-2020, 12:06 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Received my HT3550 today, plugged it in and the color is HORRIBLE. Like instead of areas that should be white, they are lime green. Totally totally off (like as bad as if you had a screen hooked up via Component Video RCA's and left one of the 3 RCA's unplugged - that bad). I take it this is just a defective unit and I need to send it back and get a new one?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200514_150125.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	704.6 KB
ID:	2726234  
alps3 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #6184 of 6194 Old 05-14-2020, 12:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Out West
Posts: 2,432
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by alps3 View Post
Received my HT3550 today, plugged it in and the color is HORRIBLE. Like instead of areas that should be white, they are lime green. Totally totally off (like as bad as if you had a screen hooked up via Component Video RCA's and left one of the 3 RCA's unplugged - that bad). I take it this is just a defective unit and I need to send it back and get a new one?
That's probably a connection issue.

What is your video source and how long is your cables? Also try and set the video source to output YCBCR instead of RGB.
DunMunro is offline  
post #6185 of 6194 Old 05-14-2020, 01:17 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by DunMunro View Post
That's probably a connection issue.

What is your video source and how long is your cables? Also try and set the video source to output YCBCR instead of RGB.
Thanks for the tip. Source is a FireTV Cube (Newest Generation), using a 15' AmazonBasics HDMI cable. I played around a bunch (removing the receiver, so FireTV was connected directly to the PJ (instead of going through Denon Receiver), that didn't work. Then after rebooting the PJ and Fire a couple of times, it finally displayed correctly...but now is no longer doing so and it's back to displaying horrible colors.

I'm pretty sure this is the PJ's "fault" since I took the HDMI cable out of the PJ while it was doing this, plugged it into a computer monitor instead (and it displayed fine), then plugged it back into the PJ and once again colors are out of whack.

Also, it doesn't make sense that graphics unrelated to the source of whats coming in (ie the menu graphics from the Benq settings) will display correctly (without anything plugged into PJ), and then decide to go out of whack once a source is plugged in. See attached; these icons should be white all the time, regardless if I had the crappiest/damaged source coming in right? No matter how bad the source is, i can't see how it could cause the PJ to discolor its own graphics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	before_after_source.png
Views:	84
Size:	858.1 KB
ID:	2726268  
alps3 is offline  
post #6186 of 6194 Old 05-14-2020, 01:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Out West
Posts: 2,432
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by alps3 View Post
Thanks for the tip. Source is a FireTV Cube (Newest Generation), using a 15' AmazonBasics HDMI cable. I played around a bunch (removing the receiver, so FireTV was connected directly to the PJ (instead of going through Denon Receiver), that didn't work. Then after rebooting the PJ and Fire a couple of times, it finally displayed correctly...but now is no longer doing so and it's back to displaying horrible colors.

I'm pretty sure this is the PJ's "fault" since I took the HDMI cable out of the PJ while it was doing this, plugged it into a computer monitor instead (and it displayed fine), then plugged it back into the PJ and once again colors are out of whack.

Also, it doesn't make sense that graphics unrelated to the source of whats coming in (ie the menu graphics from the Benq settings) will display correctly (without anything plugged into PJ), and then decide to go out of whack once a source is plugged in. See attached; these icons should be white all the time, regardless if I had the crappiest/damaged source coming in right? No matter how bad the source is, i can't see how it could cause the PJ to discolor its own graphics.
Can you try connecting the FireTV to the projector with a shorter cable? A 15ft 4K connection requires a high quality cable (much higher then for 1080P) and connection issues will alter how the projector displays it's internal menus. I've never had a reliable 4K HDMI connection with a cable longer than 10ft, until I bought a certified premium cable.

Do you have anything else to provide a video source that you can test the projector with?
maglo125 likes this.
DunMunro is offline  
post #6187 of 6194 Old 05-20-2020, 05:23 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I've been slowly amassing a bunch of 3D Blu rays over the last 2 years in anticipation of getting a projector that does 3D and then this one came along with good 3D and 4k performance at a nice price. I'm going to be moving out from my parents place in under a year's time and get married shortly after that. This is the projector I'm planning to get if I manage to get it into my budget. I'm moving into a condo I can only easily put it in the condo's Den room because I that has the least amount of natural light and is likely the easiest to cover light in.

My only concern is that in terms of placement. The room is a squarish rectangle and on one wall I plan on having a shelf and putting the projector and all devices on that shelf unit(consoles/Blu ray player) and have it project onto the opposite wall. From reading reviews I can see that it has vertical lens shift. Will this be enough to easily place it on the shelf or would I need to mount it on the ceiling for the best results or could I just place it on a high shelf to give it the elevation it needs?(and do I need to place it upside down?)

The rooms depth is 10"3" and the ceiling height is 9 feet so I figure if have the bottom of the screen 3 feet off the floor I can fit a 100inch screen(using projector center throw calculator). My second question would be, does the projector center throw distance calculator include the length of the projector in its calculation or is it strictly from the lens?
ReadMeFile is offline  
post #6188 of 6194 Old 05-20-2020, 06:06 PM
Senior Member
 
Fant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 246
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Why not just have the project ceiling mounted upside down and have wiring run from there to the back shelves where it sounds like your av equipment will be located? That would look the cleanest.
Fant is offline  
post #6189 of 6194 Old 05-20-2020, 06:37 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fant View Post
Why not just have the project ceiling mounted upside down and have wiring run from there to the back shelves where it sounds like your av equipment will be located? That would look the cleanest.
I figured if it's one tall shelving unit then it'll look more neat because all the wiring would be hidden(except for the one cable I plan on running to a speaker under the screen. Also my fiancee doesn't want me drilling holes in the ceiling(she's fine with the walls though).
ReadMeFile is offline  
post #6190 of 6194 Old 05-20-2020, 07:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 3,142
Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadMeFile View Post
I've been slowly amassing a bunch of 3D Blu rays over the last 2 years in anticipation of getting a projector that does 3D and then this one came along with good 3D and 4k performance at a nice price. I'm going to be moving out from my parents place in under a year's time and get married shortly after that. This is the projector I'm planning to get if I manage to get it into my budget. I'm moving into a condo I can only easily put it in the condo's Den room because I that has the least amount of natural light and is likely the easiest to cover light in.

My only concern is that in terms of placement. The room is a squarish rectangle and on one wall I plan on having a shelf and putting the projector and all devices on that shelf unit(consoles/Blu ray player) and have it project onto the opposite wall. From reading reviews I can see that it has vertical lens shift. Will this be enough to easily place it on the shelf or would I need to mount it on the ceiling for the best results or could I just place it on a high shelf to give it the elevation it needs?(and do I need to place it upside down?)

The rooms depth is 10"3" and the ceiling height is 9 feet so I figure if have the bottom of the screen 3 feet off the floor I can fit a 100inch screen(using projector center throw calculator). My second question would be, does the projector center throw distance calculator include the length of the projector in its calculation or is it strictly from the lens?
It needs to be inverted. The lens shift is very small. The Projector Central calculator shows where the projector needs to be in relation to the screen.

You can use some feet under the projector (inverted), but it's not stable unless those feet have some sort of adhesive tape. And even so not very stable.

Or a ceiling mount but strapped to a shelf plaque.

This type of mount can be mounted on the wall:
https://www.amazon.com/Mount-Project...s%2C345&sr=8-5
noob00224 is offline  
post #6191 of 6194 Old 05-21-2020, 11:46 AM
Member
 
Manisfive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Do any ht3550 owners have a preference on 3d glasses?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Manisfive is offline  
post #6192 of 6194 Old 05-22-2020, 10:56 AM
Advanced Member
 
curtlots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Northeast WI
Posts: 940
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manisfive View Post
Do any ht3550 owners have a preference on 3d glasses?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
I bought two pair of BOBLOV glasses on Amazon, and then a pair of BenQ GENUINE Active 3D Glasses on eBay and I prefer the BenQ glasses. I didn't notice much difference in how they operate, but the BOBLOV glasses sit further from my face and makes the frames more visible to me the the BenQ glasses. The BenQ fit me better and sit closer to my face. I also wear prescription glasses.
Manisfive and maglo125 like this.
curtlots is offline  
post #6193 of 6194 Old 05-27-2020, 11:46 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by alps3 View Post
Thanks for the tip. Source is a FireTV Cube (Newest Generation), using a 15' AmazonBasics HDMI cable. I played around a bunch (removing the receiver, so FireTV was connected directly to the PJ (instead of going through Denon Receiver), that didn't work. Then after rebooting the PJ and Fire a couple of times, it finally displayed correctly...but now is no longer doing so and it's back to displaying horrible colors.

I'm pretty sure this is the PJ's "fault" since I took the HDMI cable out of the PJ while it was doing this, plugged it into a computer monitor instead (and it displayed fine), then plugged it back into the PJ and once again colors are out of whack.

Also, it doesn't make sense that graphics unrelated to the source of whats coming in (ie the menu graphics from the Benq settings) will display correctly (without anything plugged into PJ), and then decide to go out of whack once a source is plugged in. See attached; these icons should be white all the time, regardless if I had the crappiest/damaged source coming in right? No matter how bad the source is, i can't see how it could cause the PJ to discolor its own graphics.
i guess it only happens in HDR mode and all is fine when HDR mode is off and lets say cinema mode is on!
Have had several w2700 with split screen, very uneven focus, broken mirrors( white glowing spots), and also green yellowish tint!
But the yellow greenish tint only happened in HDR mode and not when it was set to off!
In my case benq said that something was not working as it should when HDR mode was active?
So i sent it back and got a new one!

Interested in what they did with yours, so please check back to the forum and inform us
HuxFlux is offline  
post #6194 of 6194 Old Yesterday, 04:30 PM
Member
 
st1tch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question

New owner here. I have trudged through this thread over the past few weeks. Have had the HT3550 about 2 weeks and I'm at 31 hours so far. Mine was manufactured in March 2020 and it's running firmware 1.0.5.

I've been extremely happy with it so far. I'm coming from a budget Epson I bought 6+ years ago that was a 720p native and could play 1080p. That thing had light border for days. So this is a huge step up for me. Have not experienced any of the tell tale issues so far that have been reported. Rock solid quality and I've been doing mostly 4K videos from YouTube and Spider-Man on the PS4 Pro. I also have been extremely lucky with my in-wall HDMI that my builder installed almost 9 years ago as it is passing 4K and HDR10 to the projector like a champ. I'm running a Yamaha RX-A760 that I bought last year after my 10+ year old Denon crapped out on me. I did have to make the change to the Yamaha that's referenced in this article in order to get my PS4 Pro to recognize that it could handle all forms of 4K and HDR.

3D was one of the main reasons I was looking for a new projector as my wife and I really enjoy them on our 70" Vizio passive 3D TV and wanted to get 120" of 3D awesomeness. Have not been disappointed so far. Awesome quality and haven't noticed any of the known 3D issues that plague that feature. I bought the Ultimate 3D Heaven glasses from Amazon and they work perfectly.

I threw the Disney WOW Blu-Ray at it just now and really didn't see anything to change other than play with the Color and Tint a little bit.

I do have a few questions that I'm hoping to get help with:
  1. On 3D, does anyone else have to switch the toggle for Sync Invert every time you watch a 3D movie as it starts with the background actually being in the front? I would have thought clicking it once would work but I have to do it every time.
  2. What are the best settings for the PS4 Pro to go with this projector? I currently have it at Automatic for Resolution/RGB Range/HDR and Deep Color Output. It works well enough but I want to make sure I'm getting the best settings. I've seen comments in the thread about forcing YUV.
  3. What are the best settings for a 4K FireStick? I have to move it around on the Yamaha RX-A760 as the current port isn't 4K but would like to know the best way to set it once it's working.

I'm sure I'll come up with some other questions but that's it for now. I think I might have 1-2 UHD Blu-Rays around as it was a better deal to buy them to get the 3D disc but I don't have a UHD player since Sony cheaped out on the PS4 Pro and I don't want to pick up an Xbox One X when the Series X is 5 or so months away.
st1tch is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off