BenQ W2700 / HT3550 Announcement and Owner’s Thread - Page 34 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2838Likes

post #991 of 5023 Old 02-18-2019, 08:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3830 Post(s)
Liked: 3030
A dynamic iris (or dynamic lamp dimming) only partially compensates for lack of native black levels and contrast, so while it offers an improvement over native DLP levels it's still going to fall short of JVC/Sony LCoS and Epson Ultra Black 3LCD panels. In other words it will please some people some of the time but not all people all of the time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 5023 Old 02-18-2019, 09:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 2164 Post(s)
Liked: 1084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
A dynamic iris (or dynamic lamp dimming) only partially compensates for lack of native black levels and contrast, so while it offers an improvement over native DLP levels it's still going to fall short of JVC/Sony LCoS and Epson Ultra Black 3LCD panels. In other words it will please some people some of the time but not all people all of the time.
The question I wonder about with Dynamic iris and such in terms of HDR imagery is the high lumen part of the image is mostly used in small details. It is triggered by a lowering of the APL in the overall image. The iris or lamp dimming acts on the total image and seems like it will lower the elevated nits you are trying to achieve with HDR.

All the reading I have done on how color graders work with this material is to try and be selective in the HDR effect as to not overwhelm the viewer with too much brightness in the APL thus diluting the HDR effects.

I can see how the effect works on TVs where the black floor is solidly black regardless, but with an iris it is controlling the black floor where our eyes transition between perception and true CR.

I wonder how much HDR really comes thru or if as you say on some content it will seem to work a lot better than other content. I guess the reviews will tell us.

Bud
post #993 of 5023 Old 02-18-2019, 09:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3830 Post(s)
Liked: 3030
@bud16415 , HDR only magnifies the issue that dynamic iris and dynamic lamp dimming have always had. When lowering lamp brightness to produce more convincing black levels the level of lamp lumens available for bright highlights in an otherwise dark scene (such as bright stars in space) is also lowered. For optimum black levels and contrast a projector must be capable of simultaneously producing the brightest whites and darkest blacks. Dynamic iris and dynamic lamp dimming obviously can't achieve that which is why they are only a partial solution to lack of native black levels and contrast.
bud16415 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #994 of 5023 Old 02-18-2019, 09:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 205 Post(s)
Quoted: 2808 Post(s)
Liked: 2825
BenQ W2700 / HT3550 Announcement and Owner’s Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Rinaldi View Post
Thank you so much for all of the info Sage! Can I ask a personal favor? I have been torn between this projector and the UHD60. I literally had the UHD in my shopping cart on Amazon last night but resisted the urge before at least seeing what the ht3550 can do. Is there any way I could get some feedback comparing the two? If you don’t put it in the review can I at least get your opinion on here? My screen does see ambient lighting on occasion and I sent a pic. I am currently running the W1070 and the dmd is going out. Don’t mind the mess.

I’ve seen the UHD60 in action but it was over a year ago. I don’t have one to compare to side by side. That being said: the UHD60 is quite bright which should make it a good projector for competing with ambient light. But, like most bright DLPs, it’s extra lumen output comes at the expense of some color saturation and color accuracy.

So it really depends on your priorities. If you watch with the lights on the majority of the time it makes sense to go with something like the UHD60– or UHD51alv or BenQ TK800 or Viewsonic 747. If, however, you watch primarily in the dark and only have lights on part of the time then the Ht3550 would be my choice, hands down. In rec 709 (wide color off) with lamp on normal and picture in vivid the HT3550 produces plenty of lumens to combat some ambient light. In addition it will have better color performance and is more fully featured— no 4K DLPs in this price range include the wide color filter or dynamic iris. About the only area I can see the UHD60 beating the lower priced HT3550 in a dark room is noise: the UHD60 is a larger projector and uses that size to be impressively quiet whereas the Ht3550 is more typical of smaller DLPs in that fan noise is a fact of life in normal lamp operation (NO ACTUATOR NOISE though). The UHD *might still have an advantage in native contrast owing to it’s larger DMD but without one to compare directly I can’t say for sure. The HT3550 has markedly better contrast than any of the previous DLP47 models released last year. The DMD in the HT3550 itself is new (no more light border), although BenQ claims the improved contrast is down to a new light path design and the new 10 element all-glass lens assembly. Still, I gotta think that shedding all that unused light in the border had to make some impact here. Going by memory is dangerous but I’d be really surprised if the native contrast measurement of the HT3550 doesn’t at least come close to projectors like the UHd60 that utilize the larger DMD. Full dynamic contrast/black level should be better on the HT3550 thanks to BenQ’s Dynamic Black algorithm/iris and the their HDR Pro tone mapping. In addition, the HT3550 shouldn’t have any issues with RBE (if you’re sensitive).

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Last edited by sage11x; 02-18-2019 at 09:57 AM.
post #995 of 5023 Old 02-18-2019, 09:57 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 42
This may be a dumb question, but why does a larger size dmd matter for contrast. For example why would a .4 look worse for native contast than .67. Also if that’s the case why don’t we have $5,000 projectors using some 2 or even 3 inch models. Surely if contrast depended at least partly on size the. Then using a much bigger area would allow a good company to get close to tv levels of contrast. I understand the larger 0.67 costs more due to the fact is only shifts twice with higher pixel count but otherwise wouldn’t a larger say 2 inch mode be cheaper and easier to produce if it had the same number of pixels as the benq ht3550? Just curios as my current 1080p projector has something around .67 for its size and I’m ready to buy a projector that crammed that 1080p amount of pixels on a smaller area for some reason.
post #996 of 5023 Old 02-18-2019, 10:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Has anyone seen any info on true lumen output in both regular and eco modes?

In post 941 @wiau2007 seemed to say the lumens will be about 1200-1400 in Rec.709 and around 800 in DCI-P3 with the filter in place. I’m thinking that’s a fresh lamp in regular bright mode. Could we assume from that with some dimming and eco setting being down around 600 lumens at some point. As he mentioned a 100” screen 1.0 gain @ 800 lumens would be about 27 FL and I assume we would want about double Rec.709 brightness 12-15 FL to get any punch out of the HDR or luminosity range of the material.

600 lumens would bring you down to 20FL on that same 100” screen.

I see it also has brilliant color settings. Does anyone know how brilliant color works with HDR content?

Bud
post #997 of 5023 Old 02-18-2019, 10:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
This may be a dumb question, but why does a larger size dmd matter for contrast. For example why would a .4 look worse for native contast than .67. Also if that’s the case why don’t we have $5,000 projectors using some 2 or even 3 inch models. Surely if contrast depended at least partly on size the. Then using a much bigger area would allow a good company to get close to tv levels of contrast. I understand the larger 0.67 costs more due to the fact is only shifts twice with higher pixel count but otherwise wouldn’t a larger say 2 inch mode be cheaper and easier to produce if it had the same number of pixels as the benq ht3550? Just curios as my current 1080p projector has something around .67 for its size and I’m ready to buy a projector that crammed that 1080p amount of pixels on a smaller area for some reason.

This isn’t a hard and fast rule but in many cases the larger DMD can perform better simply owning to it being larger. A larger chip means larger micro mirrors means more light is reflected (more contrast). In theory, the larger mirrors could also have an increased tilt angle (better blacks) although I’m not so sure how true that is anymore. Lastly there’s the physics of the light source, case and optics. A larger chip uses a larger lamp which requires a larger lens which demands a larger chassis. All of these can contribute to higher contrast and better black level.

But it’s not so simple anymore. The DLP47 has 2 million mirrors— the same as a 1080p projector because it is, essentially, an Hd chip. The DLP66 has 4 million mirrors. Twice as many mirrors on an area roughly twice the size so no big advantage there. The real difference comes down to the fact that the dlp66 is only responsible for creating 2 pixels per mirror where the DLP47 is responsible for creating 4 pixels per mirror. That means the amount of time the chip can use to create each pixel is halved.

To put this simply: the smaller chip is what makes 4K affordable for more people. It’s doubtful a projector with the Ht3550’s feature set could be sold anywhere near it’s price with the larger dmd. Forget about the price of the DMD itself— there are all those other factors I mentioned above that will contribute to it’s cost (larger lamp, larger chassis and, the most costly item on any projector, larger optics). There is a reason we haven’t seen nearly as many new DLP66 projectors as DLP47 projectors. In fact, I think the UHD60/65 were effectively the first and last models released under $3000! BenQ has a couple of DLP66 models but they’re WAY up there in price. The new HT5550 will be sold under $3000 but it too uses the DLP47.

JVC is releasing native 4K projectors but early reports seem to suggest that these new models have taken a step back in terms of contrast from the previous 1080 x2 ‘E shift’ models. A big part of this is no doubt due to them squeezing four times the pixels into an imaging panel roughly the same size as the old 1080p panels (.7 inches). So this is really an industry wide trend. What I will say is last years 4K DLPs represented a step back in contrast/blacks from the best 1080p DLPs available at the time (including the popular HT2050/HT3050). That’s not the case anymore. Now, again, a large part of that performance is down to ‘features’ like the Dynamic Black with iris and the improvement in content jumping to UHD with the HDR Pro. I doubt that actual native contrast performance will top what the HT2050a is doing (one of the best 1080p projectors for native contrast). But overall dynamics, color, contrast and black levels are improved— never mind the remarkably sharper picture!
DunMunro likes this.

Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

post #998 of 5023 Old 02-18-2019, 10:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 787 Post(s)
Liked: 403
It will be interesting to see what the ANSI contrast turns out to be on the HT3550.
sage11x likes this.
post #999 of 5023 Old 02-18-2019, 10:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybradley View Post
This is exciting for me as when I upgraded to the HT2050a, there were no 4K PJs with an equivalent throw and it was stated it would be a couple years before the optics could handle the same throw as the HT2050a. Never imagined it would be 9 months

Can you tell me if BenQ's warranty will transfer to a new owner if I sell my HT2050a?
This is the exact situation I find myself in as well. Did a basement remodel this past summer and the best projector to fit the space was the 2050a. I was drooling over the 2550/TK800 models but the throw ratios just would not work. I can't believe there is now a 4K near hot swappable model for the 2050a (minus the input lag benefits). I love the 2050a, so I can only imagine what the 3550 will be like in it's place - I mean I've already got the TiVo Bolt and appleTV 4K already connected!

With regards to the future sale of the 2050a - just FYI I tweeted at BenQ last week, and while they have not confirmed there will be a trade in program (if so inclined), their response makes me think there will be one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbpaddler View Post
Just include your receipt when you sell it. They don't care who bought it as long as you have the receipt.
Great to know! Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PQWil View Post
Would it be enough brightness for a silver/greyish 100" screen & with 3d?
I currently run the 2050a on a 100" Elite Screen Cinegrey5D ALR screen and I think the 3D is spectacular! The rated lumens difference between the 2050a and 3550 is almost negligible, but we will have to see what the individual mode/settings differences are eventually tested out as.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ig3l View Post
Can anyone of you tell me, if a ALR Screen will pose an issue for this projector?

I'm eagerly awaiting the release date and I'd like to pair this device with a ALR screen but the throw ration is currently keeping me from buying one.
I use the 100" Elite Screen Cinegrey5D ALR screen paired with a near equivalent 2050a and I am set up just below their "recommended minimum distance". I took a risk, but did so intentionally. I would love to watch video in a dark room, but the WAF and need for some ambient lighting kills that. I love my screen and the pairing with the 2050a. 3D is especially impressive.

PSN ID: dogdoctor
post #1000 of 5023 Old 02-18-2019, 11:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud16415 View Post
Has anyone seen any info on true lumen output in both regular and eco modes?

In post 941 @wiau2007 seemed to say the lumens will be about 1200-1400 in Rec.709 and around 800 in DCI-P3 with the filter in place. I’m thinking that’s a fresh lamp in regular bright mode. Could we assume from that with some dimming and eco setting being down around 600 lumens at some point. As he mentioned a 100” screen 1.0 gain @ 800 lumens would be about 27 FL and I assume we would want about double Rec.709 brightness 12-15 FL to get any punch out of the HDR or luminosity range of the material.

600 lumens would bring you down to 20FL on that same 100” screen.

I see it also has brilliant color settings. Does anyone know how brilliant color works with HDR content?

The lamp in mine, despite my best efforts over the last week, is still fairly new. That being said, in eco with wide color OFF the projector has plenty enough output to compete with ambient light in my room. In normal it is far too bright to be comfortable with the lights off. Your mileage may vary.

This projector continues BenQ’s tradition of useable lumen output even in their home theater focused models. The wide color filter is the only obstacle to output. When engaged I would say the picture experiences a 25-33% drop in brightness (that’s what my eye is telling me so don’t @ me if measurements show a little different). I would say that the wide color feature is a feature intended to be used only in a dark, light controlled room on a ‘small’ or higher gain screen. Again, this is a HOME THEATER projector. If someone wants football parties during the day this model will do an admirable job in rec709/vidid with the lamp at normal. But you really ought to consider a brightness model if that’s your priority. Right now BenQ will well you the TK800 for that and, if you wait a bit longer, there will be a high brightness version of this HT3550 that will eventually be announced. Just so everyone understands: bright projectors tend to do worse in dark rooms. It’s a trade off.

As for the conversation about HDR. Projectors can’t do HDR the way flatscreens can. If you’re looking for brilliant highlights that will make your eyes balls pop you’re not going to find them here. You’re also not going to see the per pixel dynamics that OLED can offer. What HDR does do for projectors is remove the shackles of the Hd standard which was far too limiting. Dynamics are much better with 4K/HDR but since projectors can’t hope to hit the nit output it becomes a question of how well does the projector maps that content and can it display the expanded color gamut? The HT3550 has superb tone and gamut mapping. Clipping is no longer an issue, I’ve yet to experience banding on high quality content, and color looks faithful and well saturated even when the wide color filter is disengaged.
mR_Mo, bud16415 and Spaded21 like this.

Last edited by sage11x; 02-18-2019 at 11:14 AM.
post #1001 of 5023 Old 02-18-2019, 11:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
The lamp in mine, despite my best efforts over the last week, is still fairly new. That being said, in eco with wide color OFF the projector has plenty enough output to compete with ambient light in my room. In normal it is far too bright to be comfortable with the lights off. Your mileage may vary.

This projector continues BenQ’s tradition of useable lumen output even in their home theater focused models. The wide color filter is the only obstacle to output. When engaged I would say the picture experiences a 25-33% drop in brightness (that’s what my eye is telling me so don’t @ me if measurements show a little different). I would say that the wide color feature is a feature intended to be used only in a dark, light controlled room on a ‘small’ or higher gain screen. Again, this is a HOME THEATER projector. If someone wants football parties during the day this model will do an admirable job in rec709/vidid with the lamp at normal. But you really ought to consider a brightness model if that’s your priority. Right now BenQ will well you the TK800 for that and, if you wait a bit longer, there will be a high brightness version of this HT3550 that will eventually be announced. Just so everyone understands: bright projectors tend to do worse in dark rooms. It’s a trade off.

As for the conversation about HDR. Projectors can’t do HDR the way flatscreens can. If you’re looking for brilliant highlights that will make your eyes balls pop you’re not going to find them here. You’re also not going to see the per pixel dynamics that OLED can offer. What HDR does do for projectors is remove the shackles of the Hd standard which was far too limiting. Dynamics are much better with 4K/HDR but since projectors can’t hope to hit the nit output it becomes a question of how well does the projector maps that content and can it display the expanded color gamut? The HT3550 has superb tone and gamut mapping. Clipping is no longer an issue, I’ve yet to experience banding on high quality content, and color looks faithful and well saturated even when the wide color filter is disengaged.

Edit: forgot about your BC question. Brilliant color works differently on every BenQ I’ve reviewed. On the HT3550 it makes a dramatic difference to color temperature resulting in a much warmer picture with different green tracking. After much experimentation I prefer to leave BC on as it, to me, produces a more satisfying picture. BC off looks too cool to my eye and while you can effect changes to color temperature the BC seems to work just as well and you do get a small uptick in brightness.
bud16415 likes this.

post #1002 of 5023 Old 02-18-2019, 11:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

@sage11x
Sounds like it will be an excellent projector and in a way the shorter throw is saying smaller space and with a smaller space it logically suggest a smaller screen. If say a 110-120” screen size is the goal in say a 12’x12’ room that can be light controlled then a 1.0-1.3 screen should do the job, and if you want to use the room for some sports viewing or brighter TV with some task lighting on switch it to the brighter mode and be good to go.

People forget HDR is really 3 dimensional. We are always shown the color gamut chart that is 2D but an also maybe even more important component is dynamic range or luminosity. This projector will expand into DCI-P3 color space to say 95% of the color gamut but like all projectors fall way short on the dynamic range depending on settings and screen size etc. Here is one of the best reads IMO on the forum explaining this.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...or-volume.html

In general I feel the majority of people building a dedicated theater space with black ceilings and dark walls and no windows etc. are not the ones looking for a shorter throw projector most of the time. Short throwers are people doing living room family rooms and such or converting a spare bedroom to a single row theater, and in that case or like me they can have a mini single row blacked out theater to get the most out of the HDR capabilities.

In my case all I would have to do is put a white 1.0-1.3 roll down screen in front of my .5 neutral gray stealth screen wall and I would get the benefits of both color spaces and the 4k benefit all the time. The normal mode you mentioned as too bright sounds perfect for lights on viewing on the dark low gain screen.

Looking forward to the review and in your case if I remember correct your room is more of a living room setting.

Bud
post #1003 of 5023 Old 02-18-2019, 12:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
Edit: forgot about your BC question. Brilliant color works differently on every BenQ I’ve reviewed. On the HT3550 it makes a dramatic difference to color temperature resulting in a much warmer picture with different green tracking. After much experimentation I prefer to leave BC on as it, to me, produces a more satisfying picture. BC off looks too cool to my eye and while you can effect changes to color temperature the BC seems to work just as well and you do get a small uptick in brightness.
That’s interesting. I didn’t know if they had BC as an option or not when in the HDR mode. I think it boasts mid tones mainly. I use it for sports and such on setting 5 of 10.

Bud
post #1004 of 5023 Old 02-18-2019, 01:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
@sage11x

Sounds like it will be an excellent projector and in a way the shorter throw is saying smaller space and with a smaller space it logically suggest a smaller screen. If say a 110-120” screen size is the goal in say a 12’x12’ room that can be light controlled then a 1.0-1.3 screen should do the job, and if you want to use the room for some sports viewing or brighter TV with some task lighting on switch it to the brighter mode and be good to go.

People forget HDR is really 3 dimensional. We are always shown the color gamut chart that is 2D but an also maybe even more important component is dynamic range or luminosity. This projector will expand into DCI-P3 color space to say 95% of the color gamut but like all projectors fall way short on the dynamic range depending on settings and screen size etc. Here is one of the best reads IMO on the forum explaining this.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...or-volume.html

In general I feel the majority of people building a dedicated theater space with black ceilings and dark walls and no windows etc. are not the ones looking for a shorter throw projector most of the time. Short throwers are people doing living room family rooms and such or converting a spare bedroom to a single row theater, and in that case or like me they can have a mini single row blacked out theater to get the most out of the HDR capabilities.

In my case all I would have to do is put a white 1.0-1.3 roll down screen in front of my .5 neutral gray stealth screen wall and I would get the benefits of both color spaces and the 4k benefit all the time. The normal mode you mentioned as too bright sounds perfect for lights on viewing on the dark low gain screen.

Looking forward to the review and in your case if I remember correct your room is more of a living room setting.

I’m not sure you can make a blanket statement like that. After all, the reason I ended up with the Ht2050 and not the Sony 45ES is I couldn’t fit the Sony in the small basement room of the condo we were living in at the time. At least, not to target a 100” screen. That was a true ‘theater’ space with dark surfaces and complete light control. I think plenty more people have small spaces that they can convert into a mini-theater than larger spaces— at least in this price range.

Yes, my room isn’t more of a living room it IS a living room. We moved and for the past year we’ve been in an apartment while we look for another place. While I won’t say it is the most ideal space for a projector it’s not bad. Our walls are a taupe color, carpet is the same, ceilings are white but we have 9ft ceilings throughout the apartment so it’s really not a reflection concern (which helps as I really didn’t want to paint and especially didn’t want to paint the ceiling). While the rest of the place has full length windows the living room only has a glass door heading out to our balcony. Ironically, the living room is the darkest room in the house (which likely contributed to the fact that this place was cheaper than a place we looked at across the street). It was an easy thing to hang black out curtains in the frame of the doorway behind the vertical blinds to get full control over light entering the room. The room is NOT a blacked out cave but I’ve kept reflections to a minimum and honestly, this is the sub $3k forum and projectors in this price range simply don’t have inky blacks.

Honestly, you don’t need a cave to have a projector. You also don’t need a crazy bright projector for a less than ideal room. If you have a cave— all the better. But I’ve learned through leaving my cave behind that it did not mean the end of using a projector or even the end of expecting a good picture out of a projector with solid contrast/blacks. I’ve been running the HT3550 with the wide color filter engaged for the vast majority of my testing. Now, to be fair, I’ve used the wide color mode in conjunction with the lamp in normal (high) power. Still, it’s plenty bright enough for my neutral gain 100” screen. A lot depends on your expectations, your room, or simply your preference for image brightness. For me, personally, projectors like the TK800 were overkill in this room with how I prefer to watch (at night or in the evening with the curtains drawn).

Here are some pictures for reference:

post #1005 of 5023 Old 02-18-2019, 01:54 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Thanks for sharing those photos of your setup, Sage. That's giving me a lot more peace of mind with the last few pages worth of people expressing concern over brightness. My room looks like it'll let in about as much as yours does with that curtain closed. Back on the hype train.
sage11x likes this.
post #1006 of 5023 Old 02-18-2019, 02:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

@sage11x

I think your room is a perfect test room and if what you find there it would be typical for lots of people, and if it looks great there it could only look better where someone wanted to go all out.

Yes my statement was a bit of a blanket statement and those get you in trouble. Maybe I have been reading too much in the home theater forum where the average build spends more on green glue than I have in my entire room. I’m sure there are many small room theaters that this throw length was an answer to a 4k prayer.

100” when I started into this 17 years ago was a huge screen and I had a DIY 120” 4:3 that was 6’x8’ and the talk of the town. We even joked about having shirts printed that said “Life begins at 100!” In today’s world 100” is almost as small as I hear recommended and if I bought this projector I would seriously be looking at it for IMAX immersion. For me that’s what 4k is all about…. Immersion. With IMAX enhanced 4k media just around the corner it’s a big driver for 4k and digital scaling perhaps for lesser ARs.

I think a lot of people even in small light control rooms will be looking at 120” plus.
If you compare 100” = 30 sq ft / 120” = 43 sq ft / 140” = 59 sq ft
You can see how fast you loose 25%-50% of your brightness.

BenQ must be anticipating that as well as you say a brighter version is coming along in a short time.
sage11x likes this.

Bud
post #1007 of 5023 Old 02-18-2019, 03:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 64
So I had the 3550 saved for later at a certain website and it is now showing a release date of March 29. The price is also higher than I was thinking it would be. I hope that price comes down some.

post #1008 of 5023 Old 02-18-2019, 03:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:
...In general I feel the majority of people building a dedicated theater space with black ceilings and dark walls and no windows etc. are not the ones looking for a shorter throw projector most of the time. Short throwers are people doing living room family rooms and such or converting a spare bedroom to a single row theater, and in that case or like me they can have a mini single row blacked out theater to get the most out of the HDR capabilities...
Although that is probably true for the majority, there are some, like me, where it's exact opposite. I have a dedicated room with no windows, black ceiling, Dark Gray walls, Velvet Panels beside the screen and out 6' or so on each side wall and velvet on top and sides of my speakers. I have a Beam and Duct work about 11ish feet back from the screen, where the ceiling (which is already very low at 7.5') is only 6' something. I'm in a dark dedicated room and need a Projector with this throw, which is exactly why I purchased the 2050a.
bud16415 and sage11x like this.
post #1009 of 5023 Old 02-18-2019, 03:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddUGA View Post
So I had the 3550 saved for later at a certain website and it is now showing a release date of March 29. The price is also higher than I was thinking it would be. I hope that price comes down some.
Let's hope, whatever the price was, was not accurate. If the price isn't close to what was already posted previously, it will be a harder choice for me.
post #1010 of 5023 Old 02-18-2019, 03:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogdoctor View Post

With regards to the future sale of the 2050a - just FYI I tweeted at BenQ last week, and while they have not confirmed there will be a trade in program (if so inclined), their response makes me think there will be one.
If you, or anyone on the forum, hear of such a trade in program, posting that information would be much appreciated. I only have like 20 some hours on mine.
post #1011 of 5023 Old 02-18-2019, 03:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybradley View Post
Let's hope, whatever the price was, was not accurate. If the price isn't close to what was already posted previously, it will be a harder choice for me.

Yeah it was a lot higher than had been mentioned earlier in the thread. I'm hoping that was not what the final price will be. If so I may be out as well.

post #1012 of 5023 Old 02-18-2019, 04:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
All of those companies uses dynamic irises as well...IJS

Theater: Onkyo TX-NR807, Polk LSi15, Polk LSiC, Polk LSiF/X, Velodyne HGS12, Optoma HD80 on 100" Elite Aeon screen
Bedroom: Yamaha WXA50, Samsung Q6FN (2018), Martin Logan Motion LX16, Pro SW100P 10" sub
Gaming: Xbox One X, Samsung UH750 Quantum Dot 28" UHD monitor
post #1013 of 5023 Old 02-18-2019, 05:07 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 8
March 29th?! That’s a deal breaker for me... how sad
post #1014 of 5023 Old 02-18-2019, 05:35 PM

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 63
And me Todd/Tony. Maybe we all got so giddy with excitement that BenQ decided to raise the price.
post #1015 of 5023 Old 02-18-2019, 05:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1732 Post(s)
Liked: 4978
Good thing I caught that B&H price and I'm locked in.
Can't wait to get this thing already!
post #1016 of 5023 Old 02-18-2019, 06:18 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
What website would that be ?
since on bestbuy Ca its still 2000CAD
& it still showing on feb 26.
post #1017 of 5023 Old 02-18-2019, 06:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 787 Post(s)
Liked: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyVee View Post
Not sure if this has been posted yet, but the manual and datasheet are on the BenQ US website. If anyone is looking for a “fix” ... enjoy!

https://benqesupport.blob.core.windo...0121113718.pdf

https://www.benq.com/content/dam/b2c...t-v4_final.pdf
Thanks.

BTW, according to the above The HT3550 uses an [edit: RGBRGB] colour wheel. That should provide a few more lumens.

Last edited by DunMunro; 02-18-2019 at 08:18 PM.
post #1018 of 5023 Old 02-18-2019, 06:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PQWil View Post
What website would that be ?

since on bestbuy Ca its still 2000CAD

& it still showing on feb 26.
Amazon. If you search it doesn't show but I saved it in my wish list before it was taken down. When I looked at my wish list today the release date was the end of March and the price was high enough that with tax it would have been well over $2K. If that price holds up I'm holding on to my 1070 for a bit longer.
unretarded likes this.

post #1019 of 5023 Old 02-18-2019, 06:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yeah it was a lot higher than had been mentioned earlier in the thread. I'm hoping that was not what the final price will be. If so I may be out as well.

Hang in there. I’ve had confirmation from
BenQ what the price will be in the US. I’m supposed to hold until 2/25 when the announcement is made but it’s been mentioned here already several times. I was really expecting the price to be higher. Definitely the best case scenario— it’s an outstanding price for the amount of projector you get.
subacabra likes this.

post #1020 of 5023 Old 02-18-2019, 06:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunMunro View Post
Thanks.

BTW, according to the above The HT3550 uses an RGBCMY colour wheel. That should provide a few more lumens.

Those links don’t work for me but I can confirm the HT3550 uses an RGBRGB color wheel.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page