BenQ W2700 / HT3550 Announcement and Owner’s Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2689Likes

post #91 of 4725 Old 11-12-2018, 11:34 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Any idea if they'll have an rgbwrgbw version of this for brighter whites?

Also any idea if it has RF capability for 3D or only dlp link?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 4725 Old 11-12-2018, 12:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I ended up going for a new bulb on my W1070 instead of going for the Optima's...glad I waited. Hope this turns out to be as good as the W1070 was for 1080p.
magnification and unretarded like this.
post #93 of 4725 Old 11-12-2018, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 616 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by longhornsk57 View Post

BenQ has typically done a 'brightness' variant of their consumer projector sin the pass, ie: TK800 (which is my primary driver right now). Nothing announced yet though.

3D is going to be DLP Link

Unrelated - lots of people have speculated price of the W2700 and are asking me if BenQ is going to have a promo for their existing 4K projectors, the HT2550 and TK800.

I have been able to confirm that there WILL be a promo and it is going to start on November 17th. Pretty steep discount but you will all just have to wait for the promo details this weekend

"The Bunker" | Dedicated Theater Build Under Suspended Slab Garage
Testing: BenQ HT5550 | Epson 5050UB | 160" Dragonfly™ Fixed AT Screen
Denon X6300H | 9.4.4 (7.2.4 Discrete) | 9x Episode 900 Series LCR/Surrounds | 4x Episode 1700 Series ATMOS Heights | 4x Episode 12" Evo Subs
Sony X700 | Xbox One X | NVIDIA Shield TV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 4725 Old 11-12-2018, 12:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1855 Post(s)
Liked: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyroo View Post
BenQ has typically done a 'brightness' variant of their consumer projector sin the pass, ie: TK800 (which is my primary driver right now). Nothing announced yet though.

Unrelated - lots of people have speculated price of the W2700 and are asking me if BenQ is going to have a promo for their existing 4K projectors, the HT2550 and TK800.

I have been able to confirm that there WILL be a promo and it is going to start on November 17th. Pretty steep discount but you will all just have to wait for the promo details this weekend

Grumble useless throw grumble grumble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #95 of 4725 Old 11-12-2018, 10:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks.

I'm debating buying a TK800 or waiting on this variant..
post #96 of 4725 Old 11-13-2018, 12:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 198 Post(s)
Quoted: 2751 Post(s)
Liked: 2736
BenQ 2700 Announced

Quote:
Thanks.

I'm debating buying a TK800 or waiting on this variant..

That’s a strange debate considering these two projector fill two distinctly different roles.

The TK800 is an exceedingly bright projector. If you have an uncontrolled room or like to watch with the lights on then the TK800 is an ideal solution. If, however, you have a light controlled room or primarily watch in the dark then get the HT2550 or wait for this Ht3550. While BenQ’s RGBRGB models have a reputation for being brighter than the competition, they’re still aimed at dim/dark room viewing. While I did watch the election on my Ht2550 with some ambient lighting I would still classify the room as being ‘dim’. Plus, my screen is only 100” which is on the small end these days.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
post #97 of 4725 Old 11-13-2018, 04:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 726 Post(s)
Liked: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
That’s a strange debate considering these two projector fill two distinctly different roles.

The TK800 is an exceedingly bright projector. If you have an uncontrolled room or like to watch with the lights on then the TK800 is an ideal solution. If, however, you have a light controlled room or primarily watch in the dark then get the HT2550 or wait for this Ht3550. While BenQ’s RGBRGB models have a reputation for being brighter than the competition, they’re still aimed at dim/dark room viewing. While I did watch the election on my Ht2550 with some ambient lighting I would still classify the room as being ‘dim’. Plus, my screen is only 100” which is on the small end these days.

I wish BenQ would have marketed the tk800 and ht2550 a little better. It seems like the majority of people who picked up the tk800 are new to projectors and think more lumens equals better withought understanding the drawbacks. Considering that the two cost the same for both the manufacturer and consumer I don’t get why they aren’t spelling it out more clearly.
That being said I think both would work fairly well in either dark or moderate ambient. My current projector/120” screen work fine for me in my living room and I keep it in rec709 mode which is less than 1,000 lumens.
post #98 of 4725 Old 11-13-2018, 05:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I said this variant, meaning the rgbwrgbw version of this updated DMD with dynamic iris (assuming they have one). I should have explained it better.

I want the extra white brightness for 3D pop. I also have a 150" screen. I'd take the tradeoff of extra bright and pop over "more accurate colors" any day.

I'm just not sure if the price difference will be worth it.
sage11x likes this.
post #99 of 4725 Old 11-14-2018, 08:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I said this variant, meaning the rgbwrgbw version of this updated DMD with dynamic iris (assuming they have one). I should have explained it better.

I want the extra white brightness for 3D pop. I also have a 150" screen. I'd take the tradeoff of extra bright and pop over "more accurate colors" any day.

I'm just not sure if the price difference will be worth it.

Gotcha.

There will be a high brightness version of this new HT3550 projector but details are slim right now. One thing to note is the HT2550 also has a few features that the TK800 does not have. So it isn’t just a color wheel / lumen change. It will be interesting to see what differences there are between the HT3550 and it’s bright room variant.

Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

post #100 of 4725 Old 11-14-2018, 10:04 AM
MJ1

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Benq needs to release a lower cost projector with lens in the center and more optical zoom 1.5x. Its really hard to install these units if your already have prewired the room. HT9060 has all that but it's way more expensive for average user.
post #101 of 4725 Old 11-14-2018, 12:23 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Quote:

I don't think there is much chance of that, at least not with the same P3 coverage claims. I'm even surprised seeing an RGBRGB lamp projector reaching anywhere close to 94% of DCI P3, and at 2000 lumens!

If the filters are always in the light path, then rec 709 would have lower lumens than P3, since the DMD would have to dim the primaries to narrow the gamut triangle to the smaller range. I'd rather full P3 on all the time, and less risk of mechanical failure like the Epsons have with their Cinema Filters which are on a track.

I'm very much looking forward to native + dynamic contrast numbers on this, as well as input lag and actual lumens / P3 coverage.

I think this might be the upgrade to my w1070 that I've been waiting for, for six years now, but we're so close to laser and LEDs becoming the norm, that I feel it would be dumb of me to not wait until that happens (maybe also from BenQ), in 2019.

I do require a 120hz at 1080p mode in my next projector with HDR on and in 4:4:4, plus a final contrast ratio that's at least somewhat better than my w1070's native.

Plus, I'm aghast that not one projector manufacturer has thought it would be a competitive advantage to let these projectors shine for games at 240hz with 4ms input lag. The DMDs and controller chips can do it, they already run at 240hz. The HDMI 2.0b cables can pass 1080p 240hz in SDR as well, and HDR10 in 4:2:2. Or 192hz in 10-bit in 4:4:4. I hope someone at BenQ is reading this. A 240hz FHD DLP, with a dynamic iris, HDR10 and low lag would be the best gaming display in the world. There are 1080p 240hz LCDs but they are TN panels in the 24-27 inch range, hardly comparable. And they don't offer HDR nor P3, AFAIK. DLPs and ultra-high refresh rates are a match made in heaven. And the controllers support 240hz native operation already! It should just be a matter of a firmware / EDID update to enable 240hz native operation.

A dynamic iris is very interesting, if it performs well and isn't too bothersome noise-wise or pumping-wise. I'd rather dynamic LED dimming all the way to 0% (instead of 30% like lamps) than a mechanical iris, though, but I think dynamic iris on an affordable DLP is an idea whose time has come.

HDR-PROTM is promising too, and seems like it would take HDR10 and make it dynamic, like HDR10+, which is frankly necessary for projectors. I hope native HDR10+ could be supported eventually through firmware updates, as well. And at that point, why not hope for Dolby Vision too. Dynamic dimming and dynamic metadata are things which should go hand in hand to help a projector do its best impression of a flat panel TV.

Last edited by BattleAxeVR; 11-14-2018 at 12:31 PM.
post #102 of 4725 Old 11-14-2018, 12:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1 View Post
Benq needs to release a lower cost projector with lens in the center and more optical zoom 1.5x. Its really hard to install these units if your already have prewired the room. HT9060 has all that but it's way more expensive for average user.

Hm...

I’ve never had any issue mounting these DLPs. I always point out in my reviews that a lack of generous lens shift can be an obstacle depending on your setup but, for myself, I’ve never had an issue getting a projector square. While a would prefer to have lens shift— particularly vertical lens shift as that is the more challenging dimension— the small size of these DLPs makes them easy to place.
BattleAxeVR likes this.

post #103 of 4725 Old 11-14-2018, 12:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 3787 Post(s)
Liked: 3001
Quote:
Originally Posted by bix26 View Post
I wish BenQ would have marketed the tk800 and ht2550 a little better. It seems like the majority of people who picked up the tk800 are new to projectors and think more lumens equals better withought understanding the drawbacks. Considering that the two cost the same for both the manufacturer and consumer I don’t get why they aren’t spelling it out more clearly.
That being said I think both would work fairly well in either dark or moderate ambient. My current projector/120” screen work fine for me in my living room and I keep it in rec709 mode which is less than 1,000 lumens.
Actually I think it's pretty easy to see the differences when looking at the HT2550 and TK800 descriptions on the BenQ website. They prominently state at the top of the HT2550 page that it's a "Home Theater Projector" with "Theater-Like Image Quality" including "Rec. 709 HDTV Standard for Cinematic Color Accuracy." On the other hand the TK800 is clearly stated to be a "Home Entertainment Projector" for "Bright Rooms" and that its "High Brightness" lets it "Cut Through Living Room Ambient Light."

I don't see how it could be much clearer to anyone reading those two descriptions how one is optimized for use in ambient light and the other in theater darkness.

benq.com/en-us/projector/home-entertainment/tk800.html

benq.com/en-us/projector/cinehome-home-cinema/ht2550.html
sage11x and russellhk like this.
post #104 of 4725 Old 11-14-2018, 01:00 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Quote:
Hm...

I’ve never had any issue mounting these DLPs. I always point out in my reviews that a lack of generous lens shift can be an obstacle depending on your setup but, for myself, I’ve never had an issue getting a projector square. While a would prefer to have lens shift— particularly vertical lens shift as that is the more challenging dimension— the small size of these DLPs makes them easy to place.
I'd prefer a center-mounted lens as well so that I could just use a measuring tape on my ceiling and drill the holes from there, knowing that the lens could be placed directly underneath the mount (laterally at least), but it's not a big deal. I think symmetric designs look nicer too, but performance is what matters.

If the price is right, noise is as low as they say, the input lag is decent, they might have a winner here.

It has a bunch of image quality enhancements too, like MEMC, which is a relief. They also have 30db of noise level, and user USB firmware updating. No more sending the projector in, nor having to scour the internet for risky firmwares. That really costs us money and frustration and good will. It seems these companies really are listening to criticisms and suggestions.
post #105 of 4725 Old 11-14-2018, 03:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
Actually I think it's pretty easy to see the differences when looking at the HT2550 and TK800 descriptions on the BenQ website. They prominently state at the top of the HT2550 page that it's a "Home Theater Projector" with "Theater-Like Image Quality" including "Rec. 709 HDTV Standard for Cinematic Color Accuracy." On the other hand the TK800 is clearly stated to be a "Home Entertainment Projector" for "Bright Rooms" and that its "High Brightness" lets it "Cut Through Living Room Ambient Light."

I don't see how it could be much clearer to anyone reading those two descriptions how one is optimized for use in ambient light and the other in theater darkness.

That’s fair, the differences are spelled out pretty clearly. BenQ has tried to “lead the horse to water” so to speak.

Still, I’ve read dozens of comments in the HT2550 and TK800 threads from new members who are confused between the two. Most of these people are probably more tech savvy than your average consumer, considering they managed to find the forum and are actively researching and asking questions.

I guess the point I was trying to make is that the HT2550 is perfectly adequate for most living room environments. The only reasons I feel someone should choose the TK800 over the HT2050 are, extreme ambient light, 150” plus screen sizes, or if their one of those weirdos that watches a lot of 3D. Just kidding I’m one of those weirdos.
unretarded and BattleAxeVR like this.
post #106 of 4725 Old 11-14-2018, 04:12 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Quote:

That’s fair, the differences are spelled out pretty clearly. BenQ has tried to “lead the horse to water” so to speak.

Still, I’ve read dozens of comments in the HT2550 and TK800 threads from new members who are confused between the two. Most of these people are probably more tech savvy than your average consumer, considering they managed to find the forum and are actively researching and asking questions.

I guess the point I was trying to make is that the HT2550 is perfectly adequate for most living room environments. The only reasons I feel someone should choose the TK800 over the HT2050 are, extreme ambient light, 150” plus screen sizes, or if their one of those weirdos that watches a lot of 3D. Just kidding I’m one of those weirdos.
Are either of these better than the Optoma 50/51a as far as input lag gaming?
post #107 of 4725 Old 11-14-2018, 05:06 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 72
BenQ will be displaying W2700 in the upcoming Taipei Audio Show from Dec. 20th to Dec. 23rd, I will follow up with the official spec and local pricing.
MJ1, JRock3x8, Hannoo and 6 others like this.
post #108 of 4725 Old 11-15-2018, 08:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 3787 Post(s)
Liked: 3001
Quote:
… Still, I’ve read dozens of comments in the HT2550 and TK800 threads from new members who are confused between the two. Most of these people are probably more tech savvy than your average consumer, considering they managed to find the forum and are actively researching and asking questions. ...
I think many people use this forum to ask questions in place of doing their own research. Thoroughly researching video projection systems is a complex, time-consuming process that most people don't have the time or inclination to undertake. They come here seeking quick and easy answers and a lot of time just get more confused because they get conflicting advice from other forum members with different priorities and personal preferences. The only way for someone to get the optimum video projection system for themselves is to understand all of the many compromises in the various options and select the one that best fits their own priorities and personal preferences.
russellhk likes this.
post #109 of 4725 Old 11-15-2018, 09:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1681 Post(s)
Liked: 4903
Ordered a Ruipro fiber hdmi in preparation for this! Couldn't resist as Amazon had a lightning deal on them lol
post #110 of 4725 Old 11-15-2018, 09:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcj1906 View Post
Are either of these better than the Optoma 50/51a as far as input lag gaming?

Yes, both the TK800 and HT2550 measure about 50ms. Both the Optoma uhd 50/51 measure about 57/70 ms. The Optoma uhd51 has a frame interpolation processor (MEMC) that increase lag. Most projectors that have these MEMC’s typically have more lag even when the FI is turned off. I imagine it will be the same with the w2700 as well, hopefully just not as much additional lag as the Optoma uhd51.
evonimos likes this.
post #111 of 4725 Old 11-15-2018, 12:11 PM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
I think many people use this forum to ask questions in place of doing their own research. Thoroughly researching video projection systems is a complex, time-consuming process that most people don't have the time or inclination to undertake. They come here seeking quick and easy answers and a lot of time just get more confused because they get conflicting advice from other forum members with different priorities and personal preferences. The only way for someone to get the optimum video projection system for themselves is to understand all of the many compromises in the various options and select the one that best fits their own priorities and personal preferences.
Completely agree, not that I judge people for asking questions but like you say, it's no substitute for actual research. Some would argue that asking questions is research, but the key point here is that a lot of people ask fairly basic questions and get opinions.
Or they just ask for opinions. Or worse, they ask questions to fish for opinions that match their own beliefs and opinions. I do get it, but if you ask for opinions then you get different answers.
The questions need to be very specific and they need to provide context so that they have a higher change of being answered accurately.

Of course some questions can only be answered with opinions so I don't blame people casting the net wide in some cases. Sometimes you want a nudge in just any direction to avoid analysis paralysis.

All IMHO :-D
post #112 of 4725 Old 11-15-2018, 02:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1855 Post(s)
Liked: 619
Is there any conversation about benq issuing a ht2550a with the shorter throw?

Can’t see myself spending close to $2k on a projector.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #113 of 4725 Old 11-15-2018, 03:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subacabra View Post
Ordered a Ruipro fiber hdmi in preparation for this! Couldn't resist as Amazon had a lightning deal on them lol
Damn I really need a 30' one, doesn't look like that deal is still active.
post #114 of 4725 Old 11-15-2018, 06:39 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Benqs marketing did not do a good job on easily discerning the difference between their two 4K projectors.
One says home theatre the other media projector? Most people don't really know what is the difference is between those two.

It needs to be explained in a straightforward statement like:
this is BenQ 4K home theatre projector designed for dark rooms if you are looking for our 4k projector that works well in rooms with some ambient light then go here : ....
post #115 of 4725 Old 11-16-2018, 11:21 AM
MJ1

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:

looks like the promo started here in Canada. $350 off both models HT2550 and TK800. Now selling for $1500 ($1140 usd)
post #116 of 4725 Old 11-16-2018, 11:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

BenQ 2700 Announced

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kezzbot View Post
Benqs marketing did not do a good job on easily discerning the difference between their two 4K projectors.
One says home theatre the other media projector? Most people don't really know what is the difference is between those two.

It needs to be explained in a straightforward statement like:
this is BenQ 4K home theatre projector designed for dark rooms if you are looking for our 4k projector that works well in rooms with some ambient light then go here : ....

I mean... I’m not sure how much more clear you guys want it to be.

Last edited by sage11x; 11-16-2018 at 11:48 AM.
post #117 of 4725 Old 11-16-2018, 02:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1 View Post
looks like the promo started here in Canada. $350 off both models HT2550 and TK800. Now selling for $1500 ($1140 usd)
What site is that on?
post #118 of 4725 Old 11-16-2018, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 616 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:

I’m dead
sage11x and unretarded like this.

"The Bunker" | Dedicated Theater Build Under Suspended Slab Garage
Testing: BenQ HT5550 | Epson 5050UB | 160" Dragonfly™ Fixed AT Screen
Denon X6300H | 9.4.4 (7.2.4 Discrete) | 9x Episode 900 Series LCR/Surrounds | 4x Episode 1700 Series ATMOS Heights | 4x Episode 12" Evo Subs
Sony X700 | Xbox One X | NVIDIA Shield TV
post #119 of 4725 Old 11-16-2018, 02:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I know this is nit picking semantics, however stating “for dark room setups” is pigeon holing the ht2550 a little bit. I have an rgb/rgb projector with less lumens and it works great for my living room setup with moderate but certainly not “dark” lighting.
post #120 of 4725 Old 11-16-2018, 03:09 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I must admit it it looks to be laid out very clearly on the Amazon site.
sage11x likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page