BenQ W2700 / HT3550 Announcement and Owner’s Thread - Page 40 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3277Likes

post #1171 of 6251 Old 02-24-2019, 12:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 66
I will wait till Tomorrow after the price is announced before I say what I paid for mine (pre - ordered) … suffice to say we Brits usually get charged the £ equivalent of the $
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 6251 Old 02-24-2019, 01:05 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Any mention in the literature/online of the proper ceiling mount model number for the HT 3550. I downloaded the manual but could not find info on the actual mount only to contact the dealer. The diagram seems to show 3 holes for mounting to the bracket. Can anyone confirm. Thanks
Karyudo likes this.
post #1173 of 6251 Old 02-24-2019, 01:06 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I can’t wait for tomorrow to finally be able watch the video reviews and comparisons and hopefully place a preorder.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1174 of 6251 Old 02-24-2019, 01:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 225 Post(s)
Quoted: 3055 Post(s)
Liked: 3173
Quote:
Originally Posted by bud16415 View Post
Of course I understand there is no finish line. Just the question of when should you jump on the merry go round. It was exactly a year ago you put up the review of the HT2550 and much has improved in that year. That also debuted at around 1500 I believe.

My question I guess was do you see a year from now the next generation making up as much ground as in the previous year? I wonder if many of the people that bought the HT2550 will be upgrading to the HT3550?

As a late adopter I watched that projector also thinking maybe this year or next the 2550 might be a good 4k entry point. Looking at it now I’m leaning to the 3550 not the 2550.

Not only was the HT2550 a new product for BenQ it was the first product in an entirely new segment and the first to use an entirely new DMD from TI. Prior to 2018 everyone was still amazed that Epson could sell a 1080p x 2 pixel shifter for $2800. Optoma releasing a pair of 4K DLPs for less than than $2500 still seemed surreal. The fact that someone was about to release a 4K projector for less than $1500 seemed equally insane. It was pretty cutting edge for the time. Optoma was still months away from debuting the UHD50/UHD51a.

I stand by (both) of my reviews for that model. The HT2550 was and still is an affordable way to get 4K resolution with excellent color— rec 709 color but still excellent. I remember I got somewhat roasted for not being critical enough of that projector when it first debuted. Back then there weren’t a ton of reviews and the one everyone was talking about was Kraine’s where, frankly, he **** all over the thing. My experience was not the same as his. I did not have the lens issues he had, color hued very close to my reference display, I wasn’t as bothered by the light border (my front wall appeared darker than his) and I was honestly really impressed by the resolution and sharpness. I don’t consider myself a resolution snob but 4K makes a BIG difference on a big screen. On the down side I bemoaned the lack of lens shift and was disappointed by the lackluster contrast/blacks, my exact quote: “Contrast performance is a bit of a mixed bag as the HT2550 suffers from less than stellar black levels. In mixed scenes with a lot of bright highlights the high ANSI contrast of DLP produces an image with a lot of pop but in darker scenes blacks tend more towards grey and the image loses much of it's punch.”

Well, more reviews eventually debuted and it turns out the HT2550 didn’t cause cancer or give people diabetes. That’s the thing with reviews: they’re opinions and not everyone has the same opinions. I’m not a professional calibrator but I am a knowledgeable and experienced enthusiast. I try to be helpful when I can and be a good member of the community. You and I are a lot alike in that we both value VALUE. Every time someone asks: “what projector?” and the first 4 replies are “buy a $4000 JVC” my eye starts to twitch. It’s great that there are really high end projectors out there that push the envelope of what is possible in terms of picture quality and contrast. This is the sub $3000 forum. I don’t honestly believe anyone shopping in this segment expects to get the Ferrari of projectors spending so little.

Getting back to the HT3550: yes, certainly, the HT3550 leaves the HT2550 in the dust. There is no getting around that. It’s a superior projector in every way. Could I have anticipated it? Maybe, but I didn’t. Maybe my expectations were too low but the HT3550 has exceeded them. I really didn’t see them making this much progress in just one year. Is it perfect? Heck no— I’ll get into that in my review. But is it a significant, noticeable, and comprehensive improvement over last years model? Definitely. Will it be rendered obsolete by next year’s model? No idea.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
post #1175 of 6251 Old 02-24-2019, 01:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lstek View Post
Any mention in the literature/online of the proper ceiling mount model number for the HT 3550. I downloaded the manual but could not find info on the actual mount only to contact the dealer. The diagram seems to show 3 holes for mounting to the bracket. Can anyone confirm. Thanks

3 holes for mounting. Benq sells a ceiling mount CM00G3 I believe. Mine cost $60.

As is typically for benQ, the holes aren’t exactly flush. They look flush but next to the holes are significant bumps under which I assume are the projector’s guts. It’s a bit of a pain if your projector mount doesn’t come with spacers or long screws. You may end up at the hardware store otherwise. I ended up cannibalizing the arms from the oem BenQ mount and stuck them to my off brand wall mount.

Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

post #1176 of 6251 Old 02-24-2019, 01:22 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
But is it a significant, noticeable, and comprehensive improvement over last years model? Definitely. Will it be rendered obsolete by next year’s model? No idea.
Sums it all up nicely - if you were originally looking at the HT2550 and want a cheap 4K projector NOW hit the 'Buy' button - want to wait and see what comes next? 'kindly move along - nothing to see here!' :-)
post #1177 of 6251 Old 02-24-2019, 02:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Price will probably be 1500 usd as seen on bhp and matches up to 1999 Canadian listed on best buy Canada's site that they took the link down recently. I hope it's less so I can actually buy the thing sooner than later...
post #1178 of 6251 Old 02-24-2019, 03:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 2470 Post(s)
Liked: 1329
Quote:
Getting back to the HT3550: yes, certainly, the HT3550 leaves the HT2550 in the dust. There is no getting around that. It’s a superior projector in every way. Could I have anticipated it? Maybe, but I didn’t. Maybe my expectations were too low but the HT3550 has exceeded them. I really didn’t see them making this much progress in just one year. Is it perfect? Heck no— I’ll get into that in my review. But is it a significant, noticeable, and comprehensive improvement over last years model? Definitely. Will it be rendered obsolete by next year’s model? No idea.
That’s all we can ask is for an honest assessment and I have ever feeling that’s your goal. None of us know the future we can’t ask that of anyone. When you look back BenQ set the bar for RGBRGB 1080p and people are still running those first projectors and are still throwing amazing images. Part of what launched them was the semi short throw distance that gave people an image the size they wanted in a room where their couch and projector are backed up to the wall. That is duplicated here with the HT3550 and that will sell as many projectors or more than the HDR aspects IMO. That and the price point. It sounds like it is tailored to bridge the transition between 1080p and 4k as well. If people get even a mild bump in PQ scaling 1080p up that will be enough.

I think a huge part of the design process is figuring out what people want. It seems BenQ does that just a little bit better in the lower priced markets.
sage11x and jpbonadio like this.

Bud
post #1179 of 6251 Old 02-24-2019, 04:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked: 236
@sage11x @scottyroo

Are you planning on releasing your full review once the official price is announced tomorrow, or will it be sometime after?
post #1180 of 6251 Old 02-24-2019, 05:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked: 764
I am sensing some eager anticipation here.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dog gif.gif
Views:	567
Size:	1.60 MB
ID:	2530646  
Sonyad likes this.
post #1181 of 6251 Old 02-24-2019, 05:14 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Anybody know when Benq usually makes their announcements?
post #1182 of 6251 Old 02-24-2019, 05:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybradley View Post
@sage11x @scottyroo

Are you planning on releasing your full review once the official price is announced tomorrow, or will it be sometime after?

post #1183 of 6251 Old 02-24-2019, 08:26 PM

My crystal ball shows lots of used HT2550/W1700 for sale!
post #1184 of 6251 Old 02-24-2019, 08:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 287
Meh, I'm kind of over waiting for a 'review', I asked back on post #1101 if you guys had to wait until the official announcement to release your reviews with no response to the post. It's been almost 3 weeks and for two guys who propose they aren't 'professionals' sure are taking their time and it feels kind of 'click-baity' in a way as you guys are on here posting regularly.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate all the insight that you've both given to date and it's sufficient enough for most to know that this will be something special but I feel like we were strung along for naught. I'm sure more professional reviews are just days out.

Cheers.
tonybradley and jbnpaul like this.

Theater: Onkyo TX-NR807, Polk LSi15, Polk LSiC, Polk LSiF/X, Velodyne HGS12, Optoma HD80 on 100" Elite Aeon screen
Bedroom: Yamaha WXA50, Samsung Q6FN (2018), Martin Logan Motion LX16, Pro SW100P 10" sub
Gaming: Xbox One X, Samsung UH750 Quantum Dot 28" UHD monitor
post #1185 of 6251 Old 02-24-2019, 08:58 PM

Bit harsh as it's the price that will make all the difference - low and it will be a stunning bit of kit, more expensive and it gets placed in context with other manufacturers offerings
post #1186 of 6251 Old 02-24-2019, 09:01 PM

Bought it anyway - so, just waiting to see if I am merely happy or delighted!
Troy LaMont and sage11x like this.
post #1187 of 6251 Old 02-24-2019, 09:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLPdisciple View Post
Bit harsh as it's the price that will make all the difference - low and it will be a stunning bit of kit, more expensive and it gets placed in context with other manufacturers offerings
Not harsh, just my perspective...truthfully and dude, EVERYBODY already knows what the price point is!!! LOL #fourteenhundredninetynine
Calibratedlumens likes this.

Theater: Onkyo TX-NR807, Polk LSi15, Polk LSiC, Polk LSiF/X, Velodyne HGS12, Optoma HD80 on 100" Elite Aeon screen
Bedroom: Yamaha WXA50, Samsung Q6FN (2018), Martin Logan Motion LX16, Pro SW100P 10" sub
post #1188 of 6251 Old 02-24-2019, 09:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy LaMont View Post
Meh, I'm kind of over waiting for a 'review', I asked back on post #1101 if you guys had to wait until the official announcement to release your reviews with no response to the post. It's been almost 3 weeks and for two guys who propose they aren't 'professionals' sure are taking their time and it feels kind of 'click-baity' in a way as you guys are on here posting regularly.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate all the insight that you've both given to date and it's sufficient enough for most to know that this will be something special but I feel like we were strung along for naught. I'm sure more professional reviews are just days out.

Cheers.

So I’m sorry I missed your post— every time I open AVS in my browser I have dozens of mentions and quotes and I must have missed it. I’ve also been working off my phone for the last couple of days and tapatalk doesn’t even show me my mentions or quotes so I’m not surprised I missed something. I’ve tried to respond to as many posts here as possible. Especially over the past two days. I’m not sure what benefit you believe I would gain by delaying. My initial review is finished and I’m eager to get it out there but was asked by my contact to hold off on posting my thoughts until the announcement on 2/25. Sorry if you felt my post above was in bad taste. I was just trying to have a bit of fun. And, YES, several reviews from actual professionals are in the pipe. I would never be so arrogant as to assume someone would take my review as the final word on any product. BenQ wants to make sure the community here on AVS is included and I’m lucky enough to be able to bring you as much info as I can. But, for sure, more qualified individuals will be sharing their opinions soon.

I’m off to bed now.

post #1189 of 6251 Old 02-24-2019, 09:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked: 764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy LaMont View Post

Cheers.
You held on for 3 weeks but just couldn't hold out one more day before opening your heart?
Not too many decisions in life can't wait just one more day, but I guess buying a new projector must be right up there.
post #1190 of 6251 Old 02-24-2019, 09:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidK442 View Post
You held on for 3 weeks but just couldn't hold out one more day before opening your heart?
Not too many decisions in life can't wait just one more day, but I guess buying a new projector must be right up there.
I actually stopped following over a week ago, just posted my thoughts because of what Sage posted, it coincided.

Just randomly stopped in curiously to see if any reviews had been posted...but I don't put all my eggs in one basket for reviews and in reality my heart is leaning laser based UST so this was really more out of interest, but I thought the reviews would come much faster than they have.

Thanks for playing.

Ciao

post #1191 of 6251 Old 02-24-2019, 09:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

@DavidK442 ,

Nice home theater build by the way. 👍

post #1192 of 6251 Old 02-24-2019, 11:47 PM

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Just one more question regarding the Panasonic 820:
In SDR/BT2020 mode it will keep BT2020 color space (of course) but tone mapped to SDR (no HDR metadata).

Is it possible to activate the color filter/wide colors on the W2700/3550 WITHOUT a HDR signal?

In Europe we can buy the little brother 424, for around 250 euro in my country, and it has the exact same video processor.

Anyway, there is also the HDR optimizer option for display type "Projector" which perhaps will work.
We will see, as I have already purchased the 424😊
Frank714 likes this.

Last edited by Nordvarg; 02-25-2019 at 12:01 AM.
post #1193 of 6251 Old 02-25-2019, 12:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Me too, a friend of mine tested the 424 on his Sony 4K and was quite impressed with the HDR performance. Obviously my 424 needs a 4k front projector mate to show what it's really got to offer.

"It is only about things that do not interest one that one can give a really unbiased opinion, which is no doubt the reason why an unbiased opinion is always absolutely valueless." Oscar Wilde
post #1194 of 6251 Old 02-25-2019, 01:02 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I'm really excited,

I placed preorder (1430 eur). Waiting for some reviews to pop up !

@sage11x Please don't feel offended, the hype around the projector here is really high and we all hoped for some summary/review after mentioned 2 weeks mark.
Troy LaMont likes this.
post #1195 of 6251 Old 02-25-2019, 03:20 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 285
Pre-order link is live again on BestBuy Canada. Same list price as last time. Release date is now changed from April 6th to April 8th.

I guess we have to “slum it” on the 65” OLED for a few weeks.

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product...13387428.aspx?

Sage/Scotty - Thank you for the info that you have shared. It was enough to confirm my decision to purchase and sell my old HT2050.

Projector and Screen: JVC x790 & 120" Silver Ticket screen (Incoming 120” Stuart WallScreen StudioTek 130 G4)
Audio: Denon x4400H 5.1.4 - Infinity R162 L/R, Infinity RC263 centre, Kef T101 surrounds, Kef Ci160er rear atmos, Energy V-Mini - front atmos, PSA v1512df (x2) & BOSS w/4 12” Subs
post #1196 of 6251 Old 02-25-2019, 04:05 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Ceiling Mount

Quote:
3 holes for mounting. Benq sells a ceiling mount CM00G3 I believe. Mine cost $60.

As is typically for benQ, the holes aren’t exactly flush. They look flush but next to the holes are significant bumps under which I assume are the projector’s guts. It’s a bit of a pain if your projector mount doesn’t come with spacers or long screws. You may end up at the hardware store otherwise. I ended up cannibalizing the arms from the oem BenQ mount and stuck them to my off brand wall mount.
Benq ceiling mount CM00G3 has four arms. HT3550 has three holes. How does that work? What am I missing?
post #1197 of 6251 Old 02-25-2019, 05:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLPdisciple View Post
sage already confirmed the price that was originally posted so that's not the deal breaker of the review. I think sage and scotty were told by BenQ they could not release any reviews until the official launch with price.
Troy LaMont likes this.
post #1198 of 6251 Old 02-25-2019, 05:49 AM

Fair point - anyway, expected the UK price to be £1500 as we usually have to pay at a $=£ equivalent but got mine paid for on pre-order for £1330!

So, mainly waiting impatiently for them to be shipped - although also keen to see what Sage and Scotty have to say about it.
post #1199 of 6251 Old 02-25-2019, 06:32 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyVee View Post
Pre-order link is live again on BestBuy Canada. Same list price as last time. Release date is now changed from April 6th to April 8th.

I guess we have to “slum it” on the 65” OLED for a few weeks.

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product...13387428.aspx?

Sage/Scotty - Thank you for the info that you have shared. It was enough to confirm my decision to purchase and sell my old HT2050.
Hmm..not even on the US BB site for pre-order yet.
post #1200 of 6251 Old 02-25-2019, 07:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 21
And it begins...

http://m.digitaljournal.com/pr/4176706
Troy LaMont and Teremei like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP