BenQ W2700 / HT3550 Announcement and Owner’s Thread - Page 44 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2953Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1291 of 5306 Old 02-26-2019, 05:00 PM
Senior Member
 
home4sale2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 219
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyroo View Post
My review is up! Enjoy!

To determine where the top of your screen needs to be in relation to the ceiling, the additional distance from the lens to the ceiling needs to be calculated. Most mounts place the lens about 7” from the ceiling. What this means is the top of the 100” screen you are projecting to can be anywhere from 7”-12” from the ceiling with a mount that places the center of the lens 7” from the ceiling.
Scotty, awesome review, thank you! I may have misunderstood the offset, lens shift etc. for this projector prior to your writeup above. I have less than 7' ceiling in the basement (6'9" high, 81" wall where I'll be projecting). With the center of the lens 7" from the ceiling (with max lens shift) + 65" image means the bottom of my image will be 9" from the ground. Darn. I may decide to either buy a smaller mount than the one I have or use Home Depot parts to keep the lens as close to the ceiling as possible. Is there any issue with that in terms of reflection or venting at the top of the projector when mounted?
home4sale2 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1292 of 5306 Old 02-26-2019, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
scottyroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Happy Valley, Utah
Posts: 936
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 617 Post(s)
Liked: 825
Quote:
Originally Posted by home4sale2 View Post
Scotty, awesome review, thank you! I may have misunderstood the offset, lens shift etc. for this projector prior to your writeup above. I have less than 7' ceiling in the basement (6'9" high, 81" wall where I'll be projecting). With the center of the lens 7" from the ceiling (with max lens shift) + 65" image means the bottom of my image will be 9" from the ground. Darn. I may decide to either buy a smaller mount than the one I have or use Home Depot parts to keep the lens as close to the ceiling as possible. Is there any issue with that in terms of reflection or venting at the top of the projector when mounted?


No issues at all getting close to the ceiling!

"The Bunker" | Dedicated Theater Build Under Suspended Slab Garage
Testing: BenQ HT5550 | Epson 5050UB | 160" Dragonfly™ Fixed AT Screen
Denon X6300H | 9.4.4 (7.2.4 Discrete) | 9x Episode 900 Series LCR/Surrounds | 4x Episode 1700 Series ATMOS Heights | 4x Episode 12" Evo Subs
Sony X700 | Xbox One X | NVIDIA Shield TV
scottyroo is offline  
post #1293 of 5306 Old 02-26-2019, 05:41 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 8
@scottyroo
I’ve watched your vids and seen how much you enjoy your TK800 especially with your larger screen. Think this could be a replacement or are you gonna stick with the brighter more vivid picture? This is the reason I am contemplating the uhd60 instead. Nice review btw and thank you
Kevin Rinaldi is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1294 of 5306 Old 02-26-2019, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
scottyroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Happy Valley, Utah
Posts: 936
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 617 Post(s)
Liked: 825
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Rinaldi View Post
@scottyroo
I’ve watched your vids and seen how much you enjoy your TK800 especially with your larger screen. Think this could be a replacement or are you gonna stick with the brighter more vivid picture? This is the reason I am contemplating the uhd60 instead. Nice review btw and thank you


Thanks Kevin.

I’m definitely going to roll with this over the TK800. I love the high brightness of the TK800 for my space but the HT3550 just has too much going for it to go back to the TK800.

I would still consider the TK800 for high ambient light setting and the upcoming TK800M will be interesting to see what improvement comes from the new lens and DMD combo compared to the TK800.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
robbynaish likes this.

"The Bunker" | Dedicated Theater Build Under Suspended Slab Garage
Testing: BenQ HT5550 | Epson 5050UB | 160" Dragonfly™ Fixed AT Screen
Denon X6300H | 9.4.4 (7.2.4 Discrete) | 9x Episode 900 Series LCR/Surrounds | 4x Episode 1700 Series ATMOS Heights | 4x Episode 12" Evo Subs
Sony X700 | Xbox One X | NVIDIA Shield TV
scottyroo is offline  
post #1295 of 5306 Old 02-26-2019, 06:18 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 60
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyroo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Rinaldi View Post
@scottyroo
I’ve watched your vids and seen how much you enjoy your TK800 especially with your larger screen. Think this could be a replacement or are you gonna stick with the brighter more vivid picture? This is the reason I am contemplating the uhd60 instead. Nice review btw and thank you


Thanks Kevin.

I’m definitely going to roll with this over the TK800. I love the high brightness of the TK800 for my space but the HT3550 just has too much going for it to go back to the TK800.

I would still consider the TK800 for high ambient light setting and the upcoming TK800M will be interesting to see what improvement comes from the new lens and DMD combo compared to the TK800.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Do you notice the difference in gaming lag from the TK800 to the 3550? Basically 44ms reported TK800 to the 70ms 3550.
Kcj1906 is offline  
post #1296 of 5306 Old 02-26-2019, 06:52 PM
Advanced Member
 
Samfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 551
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 84
I’m surprised we haven’t heard from Kraine yet? He usually gets a preliminary review of a new projector on line fairly quickly.
Samfield is offline  
post #1297 of 5306 Old 02-26-2019, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
scottyroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Happy Valley, Utah
Posts: 936
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 617 Post(s)
Liked: 825
BenQ W2700 / HT3550 Announcement and Owner’s Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcj1906 View Post
Do you notice the difference in gaming lag from the TK800 to the 3550? Basically 44ms reported TK800 to the 70ms 3550.


I’m not seeing anything that indicates that the HT3550 has 70ms. Sage measured 63ms but that was using a 1080p input lag measurement device and we aren’t sure if there was any downscale involved in that. BenQ labs are reporting 50-55ms. I want to see what projectorcentral reports.

To answer your question, I don’t notice a difference of 10-15ms between the TK800 and the HT3550. I do notice a difference between the HT3550 and my ASUS PG279Q monitor which has 3.25ms of input lag which includes signal processing time.

Let me put it this way. I live in Utah and play League of Legends. RIOT servers are in Chicago and since League is a game that runs on a sever, my ping has been 50ms since I started playing in 2013. I climbed to Diamond promos with that lag. I recently went on a business trip to Chicago and played League while on said business trip. My ping was 4ms. It felt different and I actually played worse because my muscle memory was used to 50ms ping. So is 50ms ping worse than 4ms ping? The answer is ‘no’ 100 times out of 100. 4ms ping is always better than 50ms ping. What I am saying is that 50ms of ping did not affect my ability to play and enjoy league of Legends at a very competitive level.

Now keep in mind I was playing on my 3ms input lag monitor which left a total display+ping lag of 53ms. When I played League of Legends on this projector my display+ping lag was 105ms (50+55). I felt it, but it wasn’t a deal breaker for me because I don’t play PC games on my projector. And it wasn’t all that bad tbh.

Xbox is another story. I play Halo, Apex Legends, and other Xbox games on it all the time. I’m your typical +5 kda one game -7 kda the next game halo player. Cutting down lag is not going to make me a better player. And my ping to Xbox servers in 20ms in the west. I can deal with 55+20ms display+ping lag. But if you are good enough where petting like I put lag could be a bottleneck and you are a serious gamer, the HT3550 might not be for you. If you feel like you are like me and love to play games but aren’t a pro fragger and spend a good chunk of time watch movies and other stuff, I think you’ll Ike it.
jpbonadio likes this.

"The Bunker" | Dedicated Theater Build Under Suspended Slab Garage
Testing: BenQ HT5550 | Epson 5050UB | 160" Dragonfly™ Fixed AT Screen
Denon X6300H | 9.4.4 (7.2.4 Discrete) | 9x Episode 900 Series LCR/Surrounds | 4x Episode 1700 Series ATMOS Heights | 4x Episode 12" Evo Subs
Sony X700 | Xbox One X | NVIDIA Shield TV

Last edited by scottyroo; 02-26-2019 at 08:26 PM.
scottyroo is offline  
post #1298 of 5306 Old 02-26-2019, 07:34 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 6
I really like all this input lag talk. It's my primary focus after seeing all of the other great features of the HT3550.

Are we expecting the 2019 version of the TK800 to come out soon as well? Maybe that would have a lower lag?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Jordon777 is offline  
post #1299 of 5306 Old 02-26-2019, 07:51 PM
Senior Member
 
Keith AP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Arizona
Posts: 444
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Anyone know the input lag on the W1070? Trying to relate my current experience to the new 3550.

Marantz AV7702mkII | Emotiva XPA-5 Gen3 | miniDSP 2x4HD for BEQ/BOSS filters
PSA MTM-210 (L/C/R) | Polk Monitor 35B (SR/SL)
Epson 5050UB - BenQ W1070 w/ Panamorph CineVista Lens | Oppo BDP-103
HSU VTF-3MK5 (dual subs)
Seymour Center Stage UF 2.35 AT Screen
Keith AP is offline  
post #1300 of 5306 Old 02-26-2019, 08:02 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 8
@sage11x
@scottyroo

After seeing the new .48 chip with a dynamic iris who would you give the advantage to when it comes to blacks? The .66 or the .48 with the iris? Did they surpass the .66 with the iris or just close the gap a bit still giving the larger chip an edge. This of course would apply to units with similar color wheel setups.
Kevin Rinaldi is offline  
post #1301 of 5306 Old 02-26-2019, 08:09 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith AP View Post
Anyone know the input lag on the W1070? Trying to relate my current experience to the new 3550.
I've seen ranges from 24-40ms online. Maybe someone here has actually tested it??

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Jordon777 is offline  
post #1302 of 5306 Old 02-26-2019, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
scottyroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Happy Valley, Utah
Posts: 936
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 617 Post(s)
Liked: 825
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Rinaldi View Post
@sage11x
@scottyroo



After seeing the new .48 chip with a dynamic iris who would you give the advantage to when it comes to blacks? The .66 or the .48 with the iris? Did they surpass the .66 with the iris or just close the gap a bit still giving the larger chip an edge. This of course would apply to units with similar color wheel setups.


I can’t determine for sure since I haven’t seen them side by side.

I will say that the blacks on the HT3550 have flipped from a liability to a strength compared to last gen.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
sage11x and jpbonadio like this.

"The Bunker" | Dedicated Theater Build Under Suspended Slab Garage
Testing: BenQ HT5550 | Epson 5050UB | 160" Dragonfly™ Fixed AT Screen
Denon X6300H | 9.4.4 (7.2.4 Discrete) | 9x Episode 900 Series LCR/Surrounds | 4x Episode 1700 Series ATMOS Heights | 4x Episode 12" Evo Subs
Sony X700 | Xbox One X | NVIDIA Shield TV
scottyroo is offline  
post #1303 of 5306 Old 02-26-2019, 08:31 PM
Member
 
ryudoadema's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: CT
Posts: 143
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Seems like a great projector! Only things I could ask for more are native 24hz and CFI in 3D mode, which I'd happily pay more for but oh well. I enjoyed CFI with 3d on the epson 2030 while comparing with the BenQ HT3050 (don't like CFI for anything else really). HT3050 won out with much better blacks/contrast and no 3D artifacts btw.

I know scottyroo mentioned in his review that xbox one s isn't so great for HDR content, but what about xbox one x and also a PC with PowerDVD?

Is the motion handling of 24hz 1080p bluray noticeably worse than say on the ht2050/3050?

Lastly, I assume Dynamic Iris can be used in 3D mode?


Appreciate any help and thanks scotty and sage for the awesome reviews!

BenQ HT3050 (Previously BenQ W1070, Epson 8350, Mits HD1000u)
Elite 100" Spectrum Electric 16:9 Screen
Pioneer VSX-1131
SVS SBS-01/PB12-NSD 5.1.2 system
HTPC/Pimax5k+/XboxOneX
ryudoadema is offline  
post #1304 of 5306 Old 02-26-2019, 08:37 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Anybody else notice that the HT3550 was taken down from the Amazon site.
Kevin Rinaldi is offline  
post #1305 of 5306 Old 02-26-2019, 09:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sage11x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Howell, MI
Posts: 6,809
Mentioned: 208 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2875 Post(s)
Liked: 2894
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyroo View Post
I’m not seeing anything that indicates that the HT3550 has 70ms. Sage measured 63ms but that was using a 1080p input lag measurement device and we aren’t sure if there was any downscale involved in that. BenQ labs are reporting 50-55ms. I want to see what projectorcentral reports.

To answer your question, I don’t notice a difference of 10-15ms between the TK800 and the HT3550. I do notice a difference between the HT3550 and my ASUS PG279Q monitor which has 3.25ms of input lag which includes signal processing time.

Let me put it this way. I live in Utah and play League of Legends. RIOT servers are in Chicago and since League is a game that runs on a sever, my ping has been 50ms since I started playing in 2013. I climbed to Diamond promos with that lag. I recently went on a business trip to Chicago and played League while on said business trip. My ping was 4ms. It felt different and I actually played worse because my muscle memory was used to 50ms ping. So is 50ms ping worse than 4ms ping? The answer is ‘no’ 100 times out of 100. 4ms ping is always better than 50ms ping. What I am saying is that 50ms of ping did not affect my ability to play and enjoy league of Legends at a very competitive level.

Now keep in mind I was playing on my 3ms input lag monitor which left a total display+ping lag of 53ms. When I played League of Legends on this projector my display+ping lag was 105ms (50+55). I felt it, but it wasn’t a deal breaker for me because I don’t play PC games on my projector. And it wasn’t all that bad tbh.

Xbox is another story. I play Halo, Apex Legends, and other Xbox games on it all the time. I’m your typical +5 kda one game -7 kda the next game halo player. Cutting down lag is not going to make me a better player. And my ping to Xbox servers in 20ms in the west. I can deal with 55+20ms display+ping lag. But if you are good enough where petting like I put lag could be a bottleneck and you are a serious gamer, the HT3550 might not be for you. If you feel like you are like me and love to play games but aren’t a pro fragger and spend a good chunk of time watch movies and other stuff, I think you’ll Ike it.


It’s doubtful. Projectorcentral uses the same Bodnar device and, tbh, they usually score on the high side.

They tested the HT2550 and reported 50ms. I got this:


5ms is well within the realm of acceptable error but I got mid 40s consistently. If I had to guess they probably left the 4K pixel enhancer on and maybe even had the lamp on smarteco (enables the dimming algorithm). When you’re hunting for the lowest lag you have to weed out every extraneous bit of processing and disable it.

I sure hope someone finds something I missed. I went back and forth with our contact and spent an hour combing through the menu trying different combinations. But I’m not anticipating it.
Every single DLP that has used an MEMC feature has scored worse on lag than those that don’t:

HT2050 — 33ms
HT4050 — 96ms

UHD60 — 56ms
UHD65 — 74ms

UHD50 — 57ms
UHD51a — 68ms

I really think it’s the MEMC.
jpbonadio likes this.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
sage11x is online now  
post #1306 of 5306 Old 02-26-2019, 09:23 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
scottyroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Happy Valley, Utah
Posts: 936
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 617 Post(s)
Liked: 825
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
It’s doubtful. Projectorcentral uses the same Bodnar device and, tbh, they usually score on the high side.

They tested the HT2550 and reported 50ms. I got this:


5ms is well within the realm of acceptable error but I got mid 40s consistently. If I had to guess they probably left the 4K pixel enhancer on and maybe even had the lamp on smarteco (enables the dimming algorithm). When you’re hunting for the lowest lag you have to weed out every extraneous bit of processing and disable it.

I sure hope someone finds something I missed. I went back and forth with our contact and spent an hour combing through the menu trying different combinations. But I’m not anticipating it.
Every single DLP that has used an MEMC feature has scored worse on lag than those that don’t:

HT2050 — 33ms
HT4050 — 96ms

UHD60 — 56ms
UHD65 — 74ms

UHD50 — 57ms
UHD51a — 68ms

I really think it’s the MEMC.


Which begs the question: do we want MEMC? Or lower input lag in future projectors? Both would be great in a perfect world. But If it had to one or the other, my vote is for the latter, personally.

"The Bunker" | Dedicated Theater Build Under Suspended Slab Garage
Testing: BenQ HT5550 | Epson 5050UB | 160" Dragonfly™ Fixed AT Screen
Denon X6300H | 9.4.4 (7.2.4 Discrete) | 9x Episode 900 Series LCR/Surrounds | 4x Episode 1700 Series ATMOS Heights | 4x Episode 12" Evo Subs
Sony X700 | Xbox One X | NVIDIA Shield TV
scottyroo is offline  
post #1307 of 5306 Old 02-26-2019, 09:23 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
scottyroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Happy Valley, Utah
Posts: 936
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 617 Post(s)
Liked: 825
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
It’s doubtful. Projectorcentral uses the same Bodnar device and, tbh, they usually score on the high side.

They tested the HT2550 and reported 50ms. I got this:


5ms is well within the realm of acceptable error but I got mid 40s consistently. If I had to guess they probably left the 4K pixel enhancer on and maybe even had the lamp on smarteco (enables the dimming algorithm). When you’re hunting for the lowest lag you have to weed out every extraneous bit of processing and disable it.

I sure hope someone finds something I missed. I went back and forth with our contact and spent an hour combing through the menu trying different combinations. But I’m not anticipating it.
Every single DLP that has used an MEMC feature has scored worse on lag than those that don’t:

HT2050 — 33ms
HT4050 — 96ms

UHD60 — 56ms
UHD65 — 74ms

UHD50 — 57ms
UHD51a — 68ms

I really think it’s the MEMC.


Really great review, by the way Sage! I love reading your reviews and your take on things.
sage11x likes this.

"The Bunker" | Dedicated Theater Build Under Suspended Slab Garage
Testing: BenQ HT5550 | Epson 5050UB | 160" Dragonfly™ Fixed AT Screen
Denon X6300H | 9.4.4 (7.2.4 Discrete) | 9x Episode 900 Series LCR/Surrounds | 4x Episode 1700 Series ATMOS Heights | 4x Episode 12" Evo Subs
Sony X700 | Xbox One X | NVIDIA Shield TV
scottyroo is offline  
post #1308 of 5306 Old 02-26-2019, 09:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sage11x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Howell, MI
Posts: 6,809
Mentioned: 208 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2875 Post(s)
Liked: 2894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Rinaldi View Post
@sage11x
@scottyroo



After seeing the new .48 chip with a dynamic iris who would you give the advantage to when it comes to blacks? The .66 or the .48 with the iris? Did they surpass the .66 with the iris or just close the gap a bit still giving the larger chip an edge. This of course would apply to units with similar color wheel setups.


The .66 chip is going to have the advantage in native contrast. If it didn’t then BenQ wouldn’t be using it in their brand new $9000 projector.
https://www.benq.com/en-us/projector...ma/ht9060.html

But the HT3550 represents a new level of performance for .47” equipped DLPs. The iris paired with dynamic dimming and effective tone mapping is the most obvious boon. But there are other little things that help the HT3550 with it’s contrast performance like the all glass optics, the lack of light border and the fact that they finally sealed the ring around the lens. Seriously, that last one, I’m staring at the HT2050A and realizing they probably could have gotten even better contrast/black performance out of this model if they didn’t have so much damn light leaking out from around the lens. I never noticed it until now, after taking down the HT3550.

So when you come right down to it this is a case of BenQ engineering the hell out of the light path and the software to make sure they squeeze every shred of performance available from the chip.
jpbonadio likes this.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
sage11x is online now  
post #1309 of 5306 Old 02-26-2019, 09:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sage11x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Howell, MI
Posts: 6,809
Mentioned: 208 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2875 Post(s)
Liked: 2894
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyroo View Post
Which begs the question: do we want MEMC? Or lower input lag in future projectors? Both would be great in a perfect world. But If it had to one or the other, my vote is for the latter, personally.


I’m with you there! But then I’ve never liked motion interpolation and I never will. I can never forgive it for the death of my boy.
KaptainKrypton likes this.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
sage11x is online now  
post #1310 of 5306 Old 02-26-2019, 09:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sage11x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Howell, MI
Posts: 6,809
Mentioned: 208 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2875 Post(s)
Liked: 2894
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyroo View Post
Really great review, by the way Sage! I love reading your reviews and your take on things.


Thanks man. I enjoyed yours as well.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
sage11x is online now  
post #1311 of 5306 Old 02-26-2019, 09:52 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Cornwall UK
Posts: 73
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 66
A really big thank you to both of you for your fantastic work in producing these reviews.
I pre ordered the projector before the reviews were in as I have always been happy with my previous Benq models and I figured the new one was going to be an improvement over the HT2550.

On reading your reviews and with the caveat that these were pre production models I am delighted to see just how improved the HT3550 really is! (even happier as after I bought mine at a really low price they revised the price upwards a little - it was crazy low!)
sage11x and scottyroo like this.
DLPdisciple is offline  
post #1312 of 5306 Old 02-26-2019, 10:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
film113's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,347
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teremei View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybradley View Post
Ok...I think you guys have talked me into at least trying out the 3D on the BenQ. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]

Having said that quality differs. Here's a few really good ones I want to recommend. . (with great 3D, and movies I like)


Avatar
Blade Runner 2049 (the music in this movie is beautiful)
Dredd (fun movie, great 3D too)
Edge of Tomorrow: Die another day
Flying Swords of Dragons Gate (kung fu movie with extreme 3D)
Gravity
House of Wax
IMAX: Under the Sea (the close up COD is legendary)
Jurassic Park (original, redone in 3D, great quality)
Kiss me Kate (old 1950's musical movie, incredible 3D, fun movie)
The Lion King 3D
Mad Max Fury Road (one of my fav movies and great 3D)
Marvel's the Avengers (first one has incredible 3D)
Oz the Great and Powerful
Pirates of the Caribbean on Stranger Tides
Tangled 3D
Tron: Legacy (this movie will rock your sound system too)
The Wizard of Oz (the original, redone in very good 3D)
I'd add:
DR STRANGE
THOR RAGNAROK
AVENGERS INFINITY WAR
GUARDIANS OF GALAXY 1&2
ANTMAN & WASP

Marvel's 3D conversions are the best in the business, thanks to Evan Jacobs & team.

Also:
GHOSTBUSTERS (A lot of frame-breaking 3D)
THE WALK (way too real!)
LIFE OF PIE
HUGO
GRAVITY
HAROLD & KUMAR 3D XMAS
CREATURE FROM BLACK LAGOON/RETURN OF THE CREATURE...
HANSEL & GRETEL...

OH, just too many too list.

Some in the "why bother" category:

MAN OF STEEL
STAR TREK BEYOND
TOMB RAIDER
AVENGERS AGE OF ULTRON

Looking forward to AQUAMAN 3D


O
sparky7 likes this.
film113 is offline  
post #1313 of 5306 Old 02-27-2019, 12:12 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Man, the frustration of waiting for this projector. BHPhoto has it up now but no preorder. I contacted them and they have it in the system as being release on March 4th. But it looks like BenQ debunked that. I truly had hoped to have this projector before the release of "Fantastic Beast and the Crimes of Grindelwald" but that doesn't seem to be the picture anymore. I have honestly thought about buying the 2550 and just returning it afterwards. I really want to watch it in 4K and currently I have the 3050. I am too impatient for this nonsense.
DorianLee is offline  
post #1314 of 5306 Old 02-27-2019, 04:12 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 8
@DorianLee
I am in the same boat and have been fighting the urge to buy a UHD 65/60 instead. When they had the press release I was under the impression that the HT3550 would be released right after. Not sure if I’ll be able to hold off especially with my current dmd leaving dead pixels on my screen.
Kevin Rinaldi is offline  
post #1315 of 5306 Old 02-27-2019, 04:17 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Now the HT3550 is back up on Amazon with the dates and prices completely different then what was said in the press release. Why do I feel like there has been a major lack of communication?
Kevin Rinaldi is offline  
post #1316 of 5306 Old 02-27-2019, 04:38 AM
Senior Member
 
Keith AP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Arizona
Posts: 444
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordon777 View Post
I've seen ranges from 24-40ms online. Maybe someone here has actually tested it??

Thanks for chiming in, maybe the difference won't be too pronounced then for non-competitive if it holds at 50-60ms for the 3550.

Marantz AV7702mkII | Emotiva XPA-5 Gen3 | miniDSP 2x4HD for BEQ/BOSS filters
PSA MTM-210 (L/C/R) | Polk Monitor 35B (SR/SL)
Epson 5050UB - BenQ W1070 w/ Panamorph CineVista Lens | Oppo BDP-103
HSU VTF-3MK5 (dual subs)
Seymour Center Stage UF 2.35 AT Screen
Keith AP is offline  
post #1317 of 5306 Old 02-27-2019, 05:56 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Cornwall UK
Posts: 73
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Early March is quoted by a UK Dealer with the option to pre order but being sensible I expect slippage will move that to End March - that's when I expect to take delivery of mine (no date advised yet by my Dealer)
DLPdisciple is offline  
post #1318 of 5306 Old 02-27-2019, 06:06 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Cornwall UK
Posts: 73
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 66
I have a feeling this model will fly off the shelves when more and more reviews hit the Net followed by more complaints about the delays while dealers try to re stock
DLPdisciple is offline  
post #1319 of 5306 Old 02-27-2019, 07:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Frank714's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Berlin
Posts: 1,495
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 969 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyroo View Post
My review is up! Enjoy!

CFI / MEMC

.... However, to anyone who enjoys this feature on movies, SHAME!

Many thanks for this great and in-depth review and the little history on BenQ projector evolution, great to read and full of helpful information.


Regarding your hidden comment above, I feel nevertheless compelled to mention that I bear this shame with pride.
scottyroo likes this.

"It is only about things that do not interest one that one can give a really unbiased opinion, which is no doubt the reason why an unbiased opinion is always absolutely valueless." Oscar Wilde
Frank714 is offline  
post #1320 of 5306 Old 02-27-2019, 07:32 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 216
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I'm curios as to when we might get to see some video reviews? i know one can not tell image quality while watching on another screen, but for comparisons it is great also you get a better sense for fan noise levels. I remember watching the UHD65 vs epson 4010 and JVC all on a huge screen in a 3 way showdown. comparing black levels brightness and much more. Not looking at only Scotty or Sage to provide all the info i think somebody mentioned majestechs had a review sample?
[email protected] is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off