BenQ W2700 / HT3550 Announcement and Owner’s Thread - Page 47 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2631Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1381 of 4624 Old 03-01-2019, 08:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tonybradley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Where the Internet stinks
Posts: 4,376
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
With only a couple of exceptions all movies are filmed at 24Hz. So, yes, I would say it's common.
So for all movie watching, it will not be as buttery smooth as the 2050a from what you stated. Can you expand on that? I know when I tried the Viewsonic 7827, prior to the 2050a, the motion was not smooth. It had jutter that I didn't like. Especially on overhead scenes as the camera was panning over. Would this be the same comparison then with the HT3550 to the HT2050a? I'd like to understand a little more about it not being as smooth as a Projector that costs half as much.
tonybradley is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1382 of 4624 Old 03-01-2019, 08:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sage11x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Howell, MI
Posts: 6,554
Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2727 Post(s)
Liked: 2707
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryudoadema View Post
Shouldn't the ht3550 basically be able to do "native" 24hz in 1080p since it can do 120hz at that resolution? It would then display each frame 5x each.


No.

I did a deep dive into this earlier in the thread.

The reason it can’t is the HT3550 needs those subframes to produce the 4K image. Remember, this is a pixel shifting projector. The DMD has to produce 4 consecutive 1080p images to produce one full 4K image. Therefore it is locked into 60Hz when operating in 4K.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
sage11x is offline  
post #1383 of 4624 Old 03-01-2019, 08:28 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ DOOM View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliasz Perun View Post
ANSI contrast 342: 1
Full on / full off contrast 1000:1

🤔
Yep, caught my eye, too.
jtorrence3 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1384 of 4624 Old 03-01-2019, 08:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sage11x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Howell, MI
Posts: 6,554
Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2727 Post(s)
Liked: 2707
BenQ W2700 / HT3550 Announcement and Owner’s Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ DOOM View Post
ANSI contrast342: 1
Full on / full off contrast1000:1



EDIT: I misread that spec. See my post below.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Last edited by sage11x; 03-01-2019 at 10:15 AM.
sage11x is offline  
post #1385 of 4624 Old 03-01-2019, 08:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sage11x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Howell, MI
Posts: 6,554
Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2727 Post(s)
Liked: 2707
BenQ W2700 / HT3550 Announcement and Owner’s Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybradley View Post
So for all movie watching, it will not be as buttery smooth as the 2050a from what you stated. Can you expand on that? I know when I tried the Viewsonic 7827, prior to the 2050a, the motion was not smooth. It had jutter that I didn't like. Especially on overhead scenes as the camera was panning over. Would this be the same comparison then with the HT3550 to the HT2050a? I'd like to understand a little more about it not being as smooth as a Projector that costs half as much.
That Viewsonic had a known issue with cadence on 24Hz content. CNET reported on it.

Go now and set your Blu-ray player to output 60Hz to your HT2050A instead of 24Hz. That will force a 3:2 pull down in the Blu-ray player. Watch a movie or two and see how you feel about it. If you notice it and it bothers you then stick with what you have. If you don’t notice any difference— well, there you go.

This experiment assumes that your Blu-ray player can perform a proper 3:2 pull down. But I would be really surprised if it didn’t at this point. What player are you using?

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
sage11x is offline  
post #1386 of 4624 Old 03-01-2019, 08:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tonybradley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Where the Internet stinks
Posts: 4,376
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
That Viewsonic had a known issue with cadence on 24Hz content. CNET reported on it.

Go now and set your Blu-ray player to output 60Hz to your HT2050A instead of 24Hz. That will force a 3:2 pull down in the Blu-ray player. Watch a movie or two and see how you feel about it. If you notice it and it bothers you then stick with what you have. If you don’t notice any difference— well, there you go.

This experiment assumes that your Blu-ray player can perform a proper 3:2 pull down. But I would be really surprised if it didn’t at this point. What player are you using?
I have the Sony BDPS6700.
tonybradley is offline  
post #1387 of 4624 Old 03-01-2019, 08:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sage11x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Howell, MI
Posts: 6,554
Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2727 Post(s)
Liked: 2707
BenQ W2700 / HT3550 Announcement and Owner’s Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtorrence3 View Post
Yep, caught my eye, too.


Edit: I misread those specs. See my post below.

https://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/...jector-review/

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Last edited by sage11x; 03-01-2019 at 10:16 AM.
sage11x is offline  
post #1388 of 4624 Old 03-01-2019, 08:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sage11x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Howell, MI
Posts: 6,554
Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2727 Post(s)
Liked: 2707
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybradley View Post
I have the Sony BDPS6700.


3:2 on that player works perfectly. Try what I suggested and you’ll have your answer.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
sage11x is offline  
post #1389 of 4624 Old 03-01-2019, 08:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tonybradley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Where the Internet stinks
Posts: 4,376
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
3:2 on that player works perfectly. Try what I suggested and you’ll have your answer.
I will give that a try this weekend. But, will this be apples to oranges? I'll be having the Sony perform this function, but isn't the case with the HT3550 is that the player will be providing 24Hz and the Projector is doing the 3:2 Pulldown for the native 60Hz? Or is it a 4K player will recognize the 3550 cannot handle 24Hz and automatically handle at 60Hz with the 3:2 pulldown prior to sending to PJ?
tonybradley is offline  
post #1390 of 4624 Old 03-01-2019, 08:55 AM
Member
 
ryudoadema's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: CT
Posts: 109
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
No.

I did a deep dive into this earlier in the thread.

The reason it can’t is the HT3550 needs those subframes to produce the 4K image. Remember, this is a pixel shifting projector. The DMD has to produce 4 consecutive 1080p images to produce one full 4K image. Therefore it is locked into 60Hz when operating in 4K.
Thanks! I remember reading your explanation a while back, but I couldn't find it in this huge thread and also didn't quite understand completely.

I do understand that in 4k the 24hz won't be able to play perfectly, but thought maybe 1080p could play 24hz natively since pixel shifting and the sub-frames for 4k weren't needed. I guess it still needs them and uses the 4k res to upscale full hd to 4k? It seems weird that Scotty noticed a difference in motion clarity from 1080p 60hz to 120hz unless maybe both are actually halved...

It just would have been nice when upgrading from the ht3050 to keep the same smooth motion for 1080p while adding in 4k as well.

BenQ HT3050 (Previously BenQ W1070, Epson 8350, Mits HD1000u)
Elite 100" Spectrum Electric 16:9 Screen
Pioneer VSX-1131
SVS SBS-01/PB12-NSD 5.1.2 system
HTPC/Pimax5k+/XboxOneX
ryudoadema is online now  
post #1391 of 4624 Old 03-01-2019, 08:59 AM
Member
 
xp0z3d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 108
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyroo View Post
The Epson 4000 is an interesting case study. Especially since its new p r i c e putting it head to head with the HT3550. I'm on record having replaced it with the HT2550 and being happy with what I feel was, at the time, more or less a lateral move. I was reviewing the HT2550 and was planning on putting the Epson 4000 back up as my primary driver, but some strengths the HT2550 has over it led me to send the Epson back.

The 4000 is just stupid easy placement flexibility. Epson is known for that but add in motorized zoom, focus, and shift... and it's crazy how easy it is. However, that benefit was easy to look past since that ease of setup only affects the initial setup and my space did not require and need for extra vertical/horizontal shift. The offset and throw of the HT2550 were already perfect for my theater. So for me that was a wash and no reason for me to choose one or the other, although a lot of people might need the extra placement flexibility.

The 4000 has pretty average blacks. That's the main difference between it and its older brother the 5040UB. The downgraded panels in the 4000 gave it a lower price tag and lower black levels. That was the only material difference. I'm on record acknowledging the 4000 had better blacks than the HT2550.

^^ Those are the two main advantages that I saw between the two. Color brightness was also better on the 4000 but not by much to my untrained eye.

There are a few reasons reason I stuck with the HT2550 even with its less-than-fresh contrast.

1 - with my 160" screen I noticed the difference in resolution. The 4000 is a 1080x2 shifter for 4M pixels. The HT2550 has 8M distinct on screen pixels. My untrained eye noticed that.
2 - Color and delta-E looked better to me on the HT2550
3 - The HDR implementation on the HT2550 was handled better
4 - I couldn't stomach investing in a projector that had a 10.2gbps HDMI chipset. HDMI 1.4 was released in 2009 and it is STILL being used even by the 4000's successor, the 4010??? No 4KHDR60...
5 - This is something I could have lived with but look at the size of the 4000 compared to the HT2550. The projector is one of the first things that people see when they come into my theater. The size of the 4000 was legitimately obstructing the view and made the HT2550 look like a pico projector.

^ That comparison was with the HT2550. So I would not declare the HT2550 the winner in that fight. It was the winner for me, but the Epson4000 is still a very good projector. You just need to know the tradeoff and make the decision that makes sense for you.

When comparing the HT3550 to the Epson 4000 on the other hand, I think after trading blows the HT3550 is the objective winner with a few bit of context below.

1 - Placement flexibility is still better on the 4000. Not impactful for me but the fight could stop there for those who need that flexibility. However, the shorter throw of the HT3550, in my opinion will probably give greater flexibility to a broader target audience so that's a wash still.
2 - Native contrast might be better but I can say that in normal 'best settings for all viewing cricumstances', the HT3550 bests the 4000 in contrast and black levels.
3 - The HDR implementation lead of the HT3550 is even wider than before with the HT2550
4 - 18gbps
5 - Color accuracy
6 - Styling and size (subjective)
7 - input lag nod goes to 4000 (35ms vs 55ms)
8 - Color brightness when calibrated slightly better on 4000.
9 - 4M pixels vs 8M pixels. I notice the resolution.

So that's my take on it. I pick the HT3550 head to head with the Epson 4000 10 times out of 10 for most setups.

The HT3550 vs Epson 4010 is honestly a more interesting battle since the 4010 ups its game with color accuracy and blacks. However, hardware-wise it still touts the 10.2gbps chipset (heaven knows why) and is still 4M pixels. I think the HT3550 vs 4010 battle is very similar to the HT2550 vs 4000 battle... but the 4010 MSRP is five hundred more than the HT3550. I haven't had hands on time with the 4010 so I can't tell you which is better. However, after the projector trades objective blows, the buyer has to decide if that price difference is worth it.
My journey initially started with Benq TK800, then reading about it more and comparisons with other projectors, I started looking into HT2550 for better blacks, and Epson HC4000 for Lens memory. Then I read about HC4010 which sounds awesome but price range being over $1500 puts it away from my range. I have budget of around $1500 but it also includes a screen.

Now with HT3550 about to be released within that budget, I am back to deciding what to get. So for now I need to decide either I want better flexibility, lens memory with HC4000 or short throw, and sharper pic with HT3550.

How would you go about deciding if one needs to have more flexibility in placing a projector? My space is pretty rectangular, with a conduit already in place around 12 feet away from screen wall. So far roughly looking at it, it looks it will be approx center of the wall. But I can try to confirm that, do I need to mount these PJ on a stud? or just regular mounting would be okay?
xp0z3d is offline  
post #1392 of 4624 Old 03-01-2019, 09:11 AM
Member
 
jbnpaul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I wonder why we still don't have any side by side images yet. My guess is there is a guideline from benq not to do it.

At this point I am curious how 3550 fares side by side with its predecessor.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jbnpaul is online now  
post #1393 of 4624 Old 03-01-2019, 09:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sage11x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Howell, MI
Posts: 6,554
Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2727 Post(s)
Liked: 2707
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryudoadema View Post
Thanks! I remember reading your explanation a while back, but I couldn't find it in this huge thread and also didn't quite understand completely.

I do understand that in 4k the 24hz won't be able to play perfectly, but thought maybe 1080p could play 24hz natively since pixel shifting and the sub-frames for 4k weren't needed. I guess it still needs them and uses the 4k res to upscale full hd to 4k? It seems weird that Scotty noticed a difference in motion clarity from 1080p 60hz to 120hz unless maybe both are actually halved...

It just would have been nice when upgrading from the ht3050 to keep the same smooth motion for 1080p while adding in 4k as well.


The HT3550 runs in 4K resolution all the time. Unless you engage silent mode or 3D it upscales everything to 4K.
ryudoadema likes this.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
sage11x is offline  
post #1394 of 4624 Old 03-01-2019, 09:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sage11x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Howell, MI
Posts: 6,554
Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2727 Post(s)
Liked: 2707
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbnpaul View Post
I wonder why we still don't have any side by side images yet. My guess is there is a guideline from benq not to do it.

At this point I am curious how 3550 fares side by side with its predecessor.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


I literally don’t have possession of the hT3550 at this time. It is back in BenQ’s hands receiving some upgrades and updates. I’ll get on that as soon as the projector returns.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
sage11x is offline  
post #1395 of 4624 Old 03-01-2019, 09:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Dave in Green's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 8,223
Mentioned: 149 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3730 Post(s)
Liked: 2958
Quote:
Originally Posted by xp0z3d View Post
… How would you go about deciding if one needs to have more flexibility in placing a projector? ...
Carefully measure to the nearest inch your desired optimum location for projector and screen plus desired screen image size. Throw is measured from the front of the lens to the screen surface. Go to the manufacturer website for the model projector you're considering and under support find the user manual pdf document. Find the section in the user manual dealing with projector setup. Carefully read the parts about exactly where the projector needs to be mounted (both distance and offset) to produce a specific image size on a given screen. Most user manuals have tables with different dimensions to fit different scenarios. If the projector can't work in your desired optimum location decide if you can live with the compromise. If not eliminate that projector from consideration and move on to the next one that interests you. If you have any questions about what you find ask here for clarification.
Dave in Green is online now  
post #1396 of 4624 Old 03-01-2019, 09:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sage11x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Howell, MI
Posts: 6,554
Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2727 Post(s)
Liked: 2707
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybradley View Post
I will give that a try this weekend. But, will this be apples to oranges? I'll be having the Sony perform this function, but isn't the case with the HT3550 is that the player will be providing 24Hz and the Projector is doing the 3:2 Pulldown for the native 60Hz? Or is it a 4K player will recognize the 3550 cannot handle 24Hz and automatically handle at 60Hz with the 3:2 pulldown prior to sending to PJ?


Either the device performs the pull down correctly or it doesn’t. I have the Sony 6500 and the Sony X800 and they both perform the pull down correctly. I notice no difference between the X800’s and the HT3550’s performance on this function.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
sage11x is offline  
post #1397 of 4624 Old 03-01-2019, 09:51 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 8
@sage11x @jtorrence3

Hey guys,
That site shows the W1700 measurements and the W2700. This way you can at least see their use of measurement between to two while being consistent. 🙂 Contrast measurements are like a******... everyone’s is different 😂

W2700/HT3550
ANSI contrast 342: 1
Full on / full off contrast 1000: 1

W1700/HT2550
ANSI contrast 301: 1
Full on / full off contrast 715: 1
sage11x likes this.
Kevin Rinaldi is offline  
post #1398 of 4624 Old 03-01-2019, 09:52 AM
Member
 
xp0z3d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 108
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
Carefully measure to the nearest inch your desired optimum location for projector and screen plus desired screen image size. Throw is measured from the front of the lens to the screen surface. Go to the manufacturer website for the model projector you're considering and under support find the user manual pdf document. Find the section in the user manual dealing with projector setup. Carefully read the parts about exactly where the projector needs to be mounted (both distance and offset) to produce a specific image size on a given screen. Most user manuals have tables with different dimensions to fit different scenarios. If the projector can't work in your desired optimum location decide if you can live with the compromise. If not eliminate that projector from consideration and move on to the next one that interests you. If you have any questions about what you find ask here for clarification.
My place measures 14`5" wide x 16` deep. The screen wall is 14`5" wide and 9` tall. I have not decided seating position, as I will have 1 row of seating and can be moved around as I need. Now I need to decide how big of a screen I am gonna have. Any help with that? I mean how do I know what size would be best suited to space. I was planning to get projector and then see what size image looks good and then buy a screen based on that.

I just checked that middle of screen wall aligns well with a stud which has the power supply and a conduit running on either side of it. But then I see that Benq has a lens on one side rather than in the middle of the projector, does that make a huge difference? Thanks for the help, I m gonna read the manual too.
xp0z3d is offline  
post #1399 of 4624 Old 03-01-2019, 10:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sage11x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Howell, MI
Posts: 6,554
Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2727 Post(s)
Liked: 2707
BenQ W2700 / HT3550 Announcement and Owner’s Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Rinaldi View Post
@sage11x @jtorrence3

Hey guys,
That site shows the W1700 measurements and the W2700. This way you can at least see their use of measurement between to two while being consistent. Contrast measurements are like a******... everyone’s is different

W2700/HT3550
ANSI contrast342: 1
Full on / full off contrast1000: 1

W1700/HT2550
ANSI contrast301: 1
Full on / full off contrast715: 1
Wait— I totally misread that originally.

If I’m reading that right they are saying the FOFO contrast is 1000– as in the NATIVE contrast is 1000? That’s actually pretty good and would fall where I would have expected (above the HT2550 but below the HT2050A’s 1300:1 native). What was the measurement for dynamic contrast?

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
sage11x is offline  
post #1400 of 4624 Old 03-01-2019, 10:22 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Rinaldi View Post
@sage11x @jtorrence3

Hey guys,
That site shows the W1700 measurements and the W2700. This way you can at least see their use of measurement between to two while being consistent. 🙂 Contrast measurements are like a******... everyone’s is different 😂

W2700/HT3550
ANSI contrast342: 1
Full on / full off contrast1000: 1

W1700/HT2550
ANSI contrast301: 1
Full on / full off contrast715: 1

Actually, if I’m reading that right they are saying the FOFO contrast is 1000– as in the NATIVE contrast is 1000? That’s actually pretty good and would fall where I would have expected (above the HT2550 but below the HT2050A’s 1300:1 native). What was the measurement for dynamic contrast?
Not sure on what the dynamic contrast is and I’m sure these measurements should be taken with a grain of salt but the HT2050 had some pretty impressive results 😮

W1110/HT2050
ANSI contrast 510: 1
Full on / full off contrast 2400: 1
Kevin Rinaldi is offline  
post #1401 of 4624 Old 03-01-2019, 10:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Dave in Green's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 8,223
Mentioned: 149 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3730 Post(s)
Liked: 2958
@xp0z3d , screen size per viewing distance is a personal preference. While there are many generalities about what works for the average person none of them can tell you what will work best for you without experimenting. It's often recommended to buy the projector first and experiment with different image sizes on a plain painted wall before locking in on screen size. You want the image to be big enough to be immersive and cinematic but not so big as to cause eyestrain. This varies from individual to individual because we're all wired a little differently.

That leaves the issue of selecting a projector that can handle a reasonable range of image sizes from your desired optimum mounting location. If you have 16' between the screen wall and back wall then from lens to screen you are looking at a maximum throw of ~14'. If your desired optimum mounting location is as close as possible to the back wall the 14' is a valid number to use for throw in your calculations. If for some reason your desired optimum projector mounting location is more toward the center of the room then you need to calculate exactly how far the front of the lens would be to the screen surface. That's a good starting point to lock in.

A good minimum screen image size in a room of that size would be 100" while maximum image size could range up to 160" and beyond. The smaller size might be equivalent to viewing from the back row of a commercial movie theater while the largest might equate to sitting in the front row. Your personal optimum seating position in a commercial movie theater will help you decide which end of the scale is more likely to fit you.

The less certain you are about your optimum image size/viewing distance the more important it is to have the most projector flexibility. That's where the Epson 4000/5000/6000 series projectors really shine. They have the greatest flexibility in lens zoom for image size and also the greatest amount of both horizontal and vertical image shift for flexibility in projector mounting location. You may or many not need all that flexibility depending on how much you can narrow down your mounting location/screen size range in advance of buying the projector. I would suggest taking your time, thinking it through and continuing to narrow down your parameters before spending any money on a projector that may or may not be optimum for your final setup.

EDIT: Since this thread is about a specific projector model you should probably start your own dedicated projector thread if you want to discuss options beyond the HT3550. Specific to the HT3550, from 14' it can only produce a range of image sizes from 131" to 170". So, if for example, you decided you wanted a 120" image an HT3550 would need to be mounted no further from the screen than 12' 10".

Last edited by Dave in Green; 03-01-2019 at 10:40 AM.
Dave in Green is online now  
post #1402 of 4624 Old 03-01-2019, 10:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sage11x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Howell, MI
Posts: 6,554
Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2727 Post(s)
Liked: 2707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Rinaldi View Post
Not sure on what the dynamic contrast is and I’m sure these measurements should be taken with a grain of salt but the HT2050 had some pretty impressive results 😮

W1110/HT2050
ANSI contrast510: 1
Full on / full off contrast2400: 1


Yeah that is all over the place. But the ANSI contrast should be higher for the HT2050A so at least that looks right. It’s a larger DMD that isn’t responsible for 4 different pixels every frame.

Secrets of home theater— which is really consistent but doesn’t measure ANSI contrast— scored the HT2050A just shy of 1300:1 FOFO (native, no lamp dimming) and just shy of 2000:1 dynamic (lamp dimming).

The HT2550 they measured at 400:1 FOFO (native) and between 900:1 and 1200:1 dynamic depending on whether you were feeding it SDR or HDR content.

I’m expecting the HT3550 to scored better than the HT2550 on FOFO but not as high as the HT2050A. I’m EXPECTING it’s dynamic contrast to pass the Ht2050A.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
sage11x is offline  
post #1403 of 4624 Old 03-01-2019, 10:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
grubadub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,327
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by xp0z3d View Post
My place measures 14`5" wide x 16` deep. The screen wall is 14`5" wide and 9` tall. I have not decided seating position, as I will have 1 row of seating and can be moved around as I need. Now I need to decide how big of a screen I am gonna have. Any help with that? I mean how do I know what size would be best suited to space. I was planning to get projector and then see what size image looks good and then buy a screen based on that.

I just checked that middle of screen wall aligns well with a stud which has the power supply and a conduit running on either side of it. But then I see that Benq has a lens on one side rather than in the middle of the projector, does that make a huge difference? Thanks for the help, I m gonna read the manual too.
my room is 13' 6" wide 16' 6" deep and 9' tall so very close to yours. I have the W1070 and i sit 11' 6" from a 110" screen. that works very well for me. i could easily go 120" and thinking seriously about doing it . as for the ceiling mount, yes you want it mounted to a stud. sounds like you're good there. get a mount that has adjustable mounting brackets so you can center the lens.
grubadub is offline  
post #1404 of 4624 Old 03-01-2019, 10:56 AM
Member
 
xp0z3d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 108
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
@xp0z3d , screen size per viewing distance is a personal preference. While there are many generalities about what works for the average person none of them can tell you what will work best for you without experimenting. It's often recommended to buy the projector first and experiment with different image sizes on a plain painted wall before locking in on screen size. You want the image to be big enough to be immersive and cinematic but not so big as to cause eyestrain. This varies from individual to individual because we're all wired a little differently.

That leaves the issue of selecting a projector that can handle a reasonable range of image sizes from your desired optimum mounting location. If you have 16' between the screen wall and back wall then from lens to screen you are looking at a maximum throw of ~14'. If your desired optimum mounting location is as close as possible to the back wall the 14' is a valid number to use for throw in your calculations. If for some reason your desired optimum projector mounting location is more toward the center of the room then you need to calculate exactly how far the front of the lens would be to the screen surface. That's a good starting point to lock in.

A good minimum screen image size in a room of that size would be 100" while maximum image size could range up to 160" and beyond. The smaller size might be equivalent to viewing from the back row of a commercial movie theater while the largest might equate to sitting in the front row. Your personal optimum seating position in a commercial movie theater will help you decide which end of the scale is more likely to fit you.

The less certain you are about your optimum image size/viewing distance the more important it is to have the most projector flexibility. That's where the Epson 4000/5000/6000 series projectors really shine. They have the greatest flexibility in lens zoom for image size and also the greatest amount of both horizontal and vertical image shift for flexibility in projector mounting location. You may or many not need all that flexibility depending on how much you can narrow down your mounting location/screen size range in advance of buying the projector. I would suggest taking your time, thinking it through and continuing to narrow down your parameters before spending any money on a projector that may or may not be optimum for your final setup.

EDIT: Since this thread is about a specific projector model you should probably start your own dedicated projector thread if you want to discuss options beyond the HT3550. Specific to the HT3550, from 14' it can only produce a range of image sizes from 131" to 170". So, if for example, you decided you wanted a 120" image an HT3550 would need to be mounted no further from the screen than 12' 10".
Great read! Thanks for that. I am thinking of screen size of either 120 or 135. I do not think I will be going bigger than that. Also will have some tower speakers so that means I need to save some space on sides. When I compared HT3550 and Epson HC4000 on projector central calc. I think Epson at 14` will only give me 105" diagonal compared to HT3550 which would give me a bigger image size in the same place. So in that sense, i think HT3550 wins out, no? I mean the minimum size of image I want is 120" or around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grubadub View Post
my room is 13' 6" wide 16' 6" deep and 9' tall so very close to yours. I have the W1070 and i sit 11' 6" from a 110" screen. that works very well for me. i could easily go 120" and thinking seriously about doing it . as for the ceiling mount, yes you want it mounted to a stud. sounds like you're good there. get a mount that has adjustable mounting brackets so you can center the lens.
Thanks for the advice guys.


One more question, which HDMI cable to buy if I need the length of 15 feet? If it's not allowed to ask, I apologize, I just do not want to start a thread for one questions.
xp0z3d is offline  
post #1405 of 4624 Old 03-01-2019, 10:58 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
All my pattern tests for 3:2 showed a pass. Subjectively, my experience with 24Hz content was very good. None of the 4K DLPs can display 24Hz natively so they’re never going to be as buttery smooth as, say, an HT2050A.
hi, congratulations for your reviews .. really well done!
I have owned for a few months the Optoma UHD51 that I sold because I'm not particularly happy about the management of 24hz ... probably because any input signal is managed at 60hz (the XLR system is always active even with 1080p signals).
I read in the manual of the BenQ W2700, which exists a "silent" function that disables, among other things, XPR. By chance have you tried this mode and in this case if 24hz is managed natively?
Thanks

(Pardon for my english)
Ezio is offline  
post #1406 of 4624 Old 03-01-2019, 12:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sage11x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Howell, MI
Posts: 6,554
Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2727 Post(s)
Liked: 2707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezio View Post
hi, congratulations for your reviews .. really well done!

I have owned for a few months the Optoma UHD51 that I sold because I'm not particularly happy about the management of 24hz ... probably because any input signal is managed at 60hz (the XLR system is always active even with 1080p signals).

I read in the manual of the BenQ W2700, which exists a "silent" function that disables, among other things, XPR. By chance have you tried this mode and in this case if 24hz is managed natively?

Thanks



(Pardon for my english)


That’s a good question. When I get my sample back from benq I can test that. BUT, I want to warn you that silent mode disables all of the picture controls so it’s not an ideal solution.

If you want 1080p/24Hz just save your money and buy an HT2050A.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
sage11x is offline  
post #1407 of 4624 Old 03-01-2019, 12:33 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
That’s a good question. When I get my sample back from benq I can test that. BUT, I want to warn you that silent mode disables all of the picture controls so it’s not an ideal solution.

If you want 1080p/24Hz just save your money and buy an HT2050A.
Would you put the 2050a as a closer competitor than the ht2550 or tk800?

I'm hanging onto my beloved w1070 until I can get something that hits all the marks.

I really wanted 4k, but maybe the ht3550 isn't the home run?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Jordon777 is offline  
post #1408 of 4624 Old 03-01-2019, 12:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sage11x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Howell, MI
Posts: 6,554
Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2727 Post(s)
Liked: 2707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordon777 View Post
Would you put the 2050a as a closer competitor than the ht2550 or tk800?

I'm hanging onto my beloved w1070 until I can get something that hits all the marks.

I really wanted 4k, but maybe the ht3550 isn't the home run?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk


I’m not sure I understand your question? What marks are you looking to hit?

You’re definitely not reading my review because I praised the Ht3550.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
sage11x is offline  
post #1409 of 4624 Old 03-01-2019, 12:57 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
I’m not sure I understand your question? What marks are you looking to hit?

You’re definitely not reading my review because I praised the Ht3550.
Ok. Maybe I just got lost with all the 24hz talk. I know nothing about that side of things, so I'm sure I could have gotten lost. Ha!



Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Jordon777 is offline  
post #1410 of 4624 Old 03-01-2019, 02:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sage11x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Howell, MI
Posts: 6,554
Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2727 Post(s)
Liked: 2707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordon777 View Post
Ok. Maybe I just got lost with all the 24hz talk. I know nothing about that side of things, so I'm sure I could have gotten lost. Ha!



Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk


Personally, I don’t think the 24Hz thing is a big deal. As long as the 3:2 pull down is performed correctly I’m good.

3:2 pull down can introduce a little bit of judder. Go read my review and look for the section discussing Video Processing for an example.

This is much better than the HT2550 which exhibited a good degree of judder in slow pans and crawling text (credits).

If I had to find something to knock the HT3550 for it’s the input lag. Now, benQ claims this model should be capable of 50-55ms. I’m not getting that and I get the ‘right’ numbers when I test the Ht2050A and HT2550. So we’ll have to see as we get closer to an actual retail model. In the meantime, none of the 4K DLPs do well with lag. The quickest measurement I’ve seen posted is the 43ms for the Viewsonic 747 and 44ms for the BENq TK800. The fastest I’ve measured is 45ms for the HT2550. In addition, all of the BenQ's competitors that feature MEMC (Motion Enhancement) had higher lag (UHD51a 70ms, UHD65 80ms) so I guess I had my expectations in check.
Jordon777 likes this.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Last edited by sage11x; 03-01-2019 at 02:22 PM.
sage11x is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off