BenQ W2700 / HT3550 Announcement and Owner’s Thread - Page 49 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2843Likes

post #1441 of 5033 Old 03-05-2019, 07:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 206 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2808 Post(s)
Liked: 2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by chhanthony View Post
Hi some W2700 (HT3550) arrived HK dealer, and the dealer told me HT3550 still have light border, is it true?

Anthony

Maybe we need to define border? I would NOT call what the HT3550 has a border.

It's a thin strip that is about the same size as the "border" on .47" 1080p projectors like the MH530FHD I reviewed 2 years ago. It can't even be an inch wide (depending on screen size). In either case it's fairly common to have some unused pixels at the edge of the image. Hell, even the Sony 295ES has unused light at it's edges. Maybe Scott can post a picture. If not I'll be receiving the HT3550 back from BenQ in the next day or two.

Unless you're projecting onto a bare wall (which I don't recommend with a 4K projector to get the most of the added resolution) or zero border screen with a white wall behind it you are never going to see it. This is a FAR cry from the issue that effected the 1st generation of .47" 4K DLPs where there was an actual border of light so large it would easily overshoot a standard 2.5 inch screen frame.
chhanthony and scottyroo like this.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1442 of 5033 Old 03-05-2019, 08:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 2164 Post(s)
Liked: 1085
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
Eco is nice and hushed but normal— which I need to run the wide color filter in my room— is significantly louder.
If I remember correctly you are using a 100” 1.1 gain white screen. You are needing to set the new (under 100 hours) lamp to normal with the wide color filter to get the brightness needed with your setup?

If this is the case how do you feel it will be with a 120-130” screen around 1.0 gain in the enhanced HDR mode?

The new unnamed model that will be close to the HT3550 that’s coming along that has a white segment will be rated brighter, but in the past I have always been advised that a white segment was more of a gimmick to advertise lumens and in practice all it did was take away from color brightness thus diluting the gamut. I have found this to be true in the past. Do you have any indication from BenQ that they have figured out some new method of blending in white that maintains color integrity and provides brightness at the same time?

I see other HDR 4k projectors doing this as well. My hope is they are saving the white segment for the high nit details we are told are in HDR media. I suggested something like this quite a few years ago when talking about RGBW, RGBRGBW, RGBCYW color production with just SDR color space. I was told back then it may be possible but was very impractical to do and would have negatives also, The biggest being adding any sectors other than RGB while they can help also take away from the total area needed for RGB. The net result ended up canceling out or falling behind in color production. I wonder if this new unnamed projector will have a brighter lamp as well higher wattage?

Bud
post #1443 of 5033 Old 03-05-2019, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 616 Post(s)
Liked: 820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph11 View Post
@sage11x , @scottyroo

I ask in my other post for some input for a ST Projector (Thanks!), now we get the HT3550 which have a 1.13 Throw Ratio, and I think is something I can work with, wall mount and get 120". The ST research is on hold, until further notice.

Per your reviews, the HT3550 may be too dim (if I understood correct) and the "Brighter Brother" the TK800M seem to be a better option, again this for; "always Eco Mode and/or Smart Eco". Since your excellent reviews (both: sage11x + scottyroo), I had google TK800M almost daily and seems BenQ did update their Website and added TK800M Specs, now I'm worry per specs TK800M is NOT HT3550 "Brighter Brother". It is true or PR error, can either you Gentlemen be able to confirm this ?

Throw Ratio, Lens Zoom are totally different from HT3550 and no wide color filter + no auto iris, etc.

Please, correct me if I'm wrong:

https://www.benq.com/en-us/projector...fications.html
Great find Ralph! I posted a thread to funnel discussion of the TK800M there.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...l#post57697300

"The Bunker" | Dedicated Theater Build Under Suspended Slab Garage
Testing: BenQ HT5550 | Epson 5050UB | 160" Dragonfly™ Fixed AT Screen
Denon X6300H | 9.4.4 (7.2.4 Discrete) | 9x Episode 900 Series LCR/Surrounds | 4x Episode 1700 Series ATMOS Heights | 4x Episode 12" Evo Subs
Sony X700 | Xbox One X | NVIDIA Shield TV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1444 of 5033 Old 03-05-2019, 02:41 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I would love a comparison with the uhd60.
since i can get a uhd60 for about the same price as the ht3550.

ht3550 with tax=1632
uhd60 with no tax=1676

with the ht3550 i would be able to do 100" in my room.
& about 95-100" I think i would be able to get 100" since my room is 11ft.

any info when projectorcentral, Majestechs would be releasing their reviews ?
post #1445 of 5033 Old 03-06-2019, 01:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 804 Post(s)
Liked: 408
So a couple pages back someone posted the contrast #'s and it looks like the #'s for the 3050 are better than the 3550. Am I reading that right? Does the 3050 have a better apparent contrast?

Upstairs - Sony 75x940e: soundbar - Klipsch R-20B
Basement - BenQ HT3050: screen - Elite 125" motorized ATS: speakers - RF-7IIx2, RC-64II, RS-41IIx2, RS-42IIx2, AVR Denon x4000 -- subs PC-12NSD + RW12D
Bedroom - LG 65eg9600: soundbar - LG SH3K
post #1446 of 5033 Old 03-06-2019, 05:50 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teremei View Post
So a couple pages back someone posted the contrast #'s and it looks like the #'s for the 3050 are better than the 3550. Am I reading that right? Does the 3050 have a better apparent contrast?
The reverse I believe, 3550 apparent contrast > 3050 apparent contrast.
post #1447 of 5033 Old 03-06-2019, 07:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked: 741
Contrast reality check. (Somewhat off topic, but relevant to the current queries.)

My old W1070 projects a 114" wide image onto a low gain (0.75?) white over black spandex screen in a blacked out, velvet trimmed dedicated room.
Over the last many months I have been thinking to myself, "The black levels on this DLP are actually pretty good. I wonder if the new W2700 will be much better with its dynamic iris and better optics.?"
Then the 4000 hour projector lamp blew. The moment the new lamp fired up I knew what I had been missing. The difference in brightness was jaw dropping. Everything on screen just popped. It was like a totally different projector; for better...but also, unfortunately, for worse.
Last night I watched Alien Covenant (sorry, I like the movie). Bright scenes were fantastic, but night scenes were an unsatisfying murky dark grey! At night, on the planet, in darkness my entire low gain screen glowed a dull grey, lighting up my flat black and velvet room. I was suddenly reminded why people spend $5000 for a projector. CONTRAST! Back when I first bought the W1070 I played around with different screen material gains and neutral density filters, trying to coax respectable contrast from a technology that was not designed to deliver it. Ultimately I gave up and just accepted it for what it was, a huge compromise.
I was excited to read that BenQ was releasing a DLP with a dynamic iris and associated tone mapping. I got even more excited reading the first reviews. After my recent contrast reality check however I am no longer so optimistic. Sure the W1070 is at least two generations old but when I read that the new W2700 has mostly overcome the inherent limitations of the 0.47" chip to provide contrast similar to the HT2050, my enthusiasm drops.
Perhaps a side by side comparison of the two projectors will change that, but I'm not optimistic.
Frank714 and noob00224 like this.

Last edited by DavidK442; 03-21-2019 at 07:52 PM.
post #1448 of 5033 Old 03-06-2019, 07:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidK442 View Post
Contrast reality check. (Somewhat off topic, but relevant to the current queries.)

My old W1070 projects a 114" wide image onto a low gain (0.75?) white over black spandex screen in a blacked out, velvet trimmed dedicated room.
Over the last many months I have been thinking to myself, "The black levels on this DLP are actually pretty good. I wonder if the new W2700 will be much better with its dynamic iris and better optics.?"
Then the 4000 hour projector lamp blew. The moment the new lamp fired up I knew what I had been missing. The difference in brightness was jaw dropping. Everything on screen just popped. It was like a totally different projector; for better...but also, unfortunately, for worse.
Last night I watched Alien Covenant (sorry, I like the movie). Bright scenes were fantastic, but dark scenes were absolutely abysmal! At night, on the planet, in darkness my entire low gain screen glowed a dull grey, lighting up my flat black and velvet room. I was suddenly reminded why people spend $5000 for a projector. CONTRAST! Back when I first bought the W1070 I played around with different screen material gains and neutral density filters, trying to coax respectable contrast from a technology that was not designed to deliver it. Ultimately I gave up and just accepted it for what it was, a huge compromise.
I was excited to read that BenQ was releasing a DLP with a dynamic iris and associated tone mapping. I got even more excited reading the first reviews. After my recent contrast reality check however I am no longer so optimistic. Sure the W1070 is at least two generations old but when I read that the new W2700 has mostly overcome the inherent limitations of the 0.47" chip to provide contrast similar to the HT2050, my enthusiasm drops.
Perhaps a side by side comparison of the two projectors will change that, but I'm not optimistic.
I have to keep reminding myself to keep everything in perspective. I know everyone wants this to be the holy grail of projectors, but it's not going to be. It's looks like it's going to be very good for $1,500 but people who are expecting this thing to compete with JVCs that are over 3 times the price are just setting themselves up for disappointment.

My jump to 4k has been stymied by the fact that I need to through 120" at just under 10 feet. As long as this will give me 4k with as good, if not better, picture as my HT2050 then I'll be happy.
post #1449 of 5033 Old 03-06-2019, 08:12 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I think the contrast numbers posted so far are from random places, are if unknown accuracy, vary widely and we're not even sure what type of contrast they all represent ("in picutre"? "ISO"?) the dynamic number from the German magazine might be too low, who knows. Certainly I'm not the one to ask but those who have more experience seem to be waiting for more credible sources that have previously measured contrast for other BENQs so we'll be able to compare apples to apples, hopefully. I mean to say there should be more and better information out soon, including Sage's comparison when he gets the HT-3550 back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teremei View Post
post #1450 of 5033 Old 03-06-2019, 08:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahly3889 View Post
I have to keep reminding myself to keep everything in perspective. I know everyone wants this to be the holy grail of projectors, but it's not going to be. It's looks like it's going to be very good for $1,500 but people who are expecting this thing to compete with JVCs that are over 3 times the price are just setting themselves up for disappointment.

My jump to 4k has been stymied by the fact that I need to through 120" at just under 10 feet. As long as this will give me 4k with as good, if not better, picture as my HT2050 then I'll be happy.
I don't believe that the majority of well-informed forum members expect the 3550 to be the Holy Grail, or to complete with $5000 JVC units. And neither Scotty nor Sage said that in their reviews. As with all consumer goods it's all relative to price. For $1,499 Benq is delivering a 4K unit that addresses nearly each and every shortcoming of the previous generation 4K projectors. We also get an active iris which budget DLP owners and reviewers have been requesting for years. In some respects the last gen 4K units were inferior to affordable 1080P counterparts; black levels, gray border, 3D detection, etc. That's all been apparently addressed in the 3550. That's what has budget concious enthusiasts excited. As has been stated previously, Benq product guys listened to the complaints and delivered a product vastly better than the first gen .47 DMD units. Hard to be disappointed about that.
curtlots, sage11x and unretarded like this.
post #1451 of 5033 Old 03-06-2019, 08:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidK442 View Post

Last night I watched Alien Covenant (sorry, I like the movie). Bright scenes were fantastic, but dark scenes were absolutely abysmal! At night, on the planet, in darkness my entire low gain screen glowed a dull grey, lighting up my flat black and velvet room. I was suddenly reminded why people spend $5000 for a projector. CONTRAST! Back when I first bought the W1070 I played around with different screen material gains and neutral density filters, trying to coax respectable contrast from a technology that was not designed to deliver it. Ultimately I gave up and just accepted it for what it was, a huge compromise.
I have been saying for the last 10 years all these budget projectors are designed around appealing to our ability to perceive contrast not true measured CR.

These projectors are best at brighter room viewing competing with ambient light for sports and bright TV viewing and such. I have always had mine adjusted so I could run them with a dual mode one for the bright stuff and a dimmer mode as my room is very good at light control and I have a movie setting that requires no light. It was never perfect and I had to even then accept less than perfect black star fields. With the advent of the Dark chip 3 1080p .7” chip, it was the first one that I felt could be dialed in good enough for a dark room, dark movie, dark screen setup that wasn’t 100% perfect like some old CRT projector in a black room on a white screen might be. But very much good enough for my tastes and cheep enough for the size image I was getting.

You have to think of these projectors more in terms of perceived CR IMO and then tune them for the best they can do at trying to make blacks.

Bud
post #1452 of 5033 Old 03-06-2019, 02:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahly3889 View Post

Not really, and I disagree. For 2x the cost of a 2050a, many think that EVERY aspect should have been improved on. If the Contrast and Blacks are not quite as good or about the same as the 2050a, many folks like myself have now seconded guessed ourselves over this projector. We aren't so blind to think this will compete with a $5K Projector. We do however, hope that the Blacks and Contrast are much better than a PJ half the cost.

We are waiting on sage who is going to provide direct comparison between the 2050a and 3550.
DavidK442 likes this.
post #1453 of 5033 Old 03-06-2019, 10:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 206 Post(s)
Quoted: 2808 Post(s)
Liked: 2829
BenQ W2700 / HT3550 Announcement and Owner’s Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybradley View Post
Not really, and I disagree. For 2x the cost of a 2050a, many think that EVERY aspect should have been improved on. If the Contrast and Blacks are not quite as good or about the same as the 2050a, many folks like myself have now seconded guessed ourselves over this projector. We aren't so blind to think this will compete with a $5K Projector. We do however, hope that the Blacks and Contrast are much better than a PJ half the cost.

We are waiting on sage who is going to provide direct comparison between the 2050a and 3550.

I just got the HT3550 back from BenQ so look forward to my comparison in the days ahead. In the meantime I feel compelled to make a couple of observations here about the posts I’m seeing. Couple of things:

1. 4K is more expensive than HD. This seems like an obvious thing to point out but it seems to be something that is often overlooked especially with how many affordable 4K projectors have been released in the last year. Simply put: despite how fast prices have fallen, 4K still demands a substantial premium over HD. I want to draw a comparison here. Pay special attention to the price difference as well as the contrast measurements.
Sony 45ES 1080p projector: $2000, FOFO contrast 5650:1
Sony 295ES 4K projector: $5000, FOFO contrast 4500:1 (HD), 5776:1 (UHD).
https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...iew-test-bench
https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...iew-test-bench

2. Contrast costs money. Again, I feel like this is an obvious thing to point out but it bears repeating. With one or two notable exceptions, none of the projectors retailing for under $3000 can be classified as ‘ultra high contrast’. In addition, DLP has never been known for producing the kind of contrast and blacks that the average LCOS can achieve. And that’s OK as DLP has it’s own strengths the least of which is cost.
The HT2050A has very good native contrast. It’s one of the major reasons why it keeps ending up as a top choice for many critics. You know what else has good native contrast? The Epson 4010. Let’s draw another comparison:
BenQ HT2050A ($750): 1355:1 native
Epson 4010 ($2000): 1258:1 native
https://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/...jector-review/
https://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/...jector-review/

3. Specs don’t tell the whole story. Specs are important. They give us a way to measure a product’s performance as well as a metric for comparison. But it’s often not easy to boil down a product to one or two measurements and call it a day. If you’re looking at contrast it’s important to note which contrast spec are you measuring? Native, FOFO, ANSI, or dynamic? And when quoting contrast are you also referencing black level? How about a display’s ability to render near black? For that matter are you considering color volume? After all, contrast isn’t just about the difference between black and white. https://referencehometheater.com/201...tanding-means/

I wanted to give everyone a little bit to think about and maybe a little perspective. Personally, having experienced the HT3550 first hand, I think the level of performance is outstanding at it’s price. I’m not going to recite my review in full here but there isn’t anything at this price point that can compete with what the BenQ is offering right now. To even match the color capabilities of this display requires spending at least $500 more. No other 4K DLP under $3k is even offering an iris. BenQ’s HDR PRO tone mapping might just end up being the current reference. In short, the HT3550 is a superb value for the money. Does that mean it’s absolutely the right projector for you? Of course not. Not everyone even wants a 4K projector to begin with. If you don’t have access to a lot of 4K content or don’t plan to upgrade to 4K then maybe the Ht3550 isn’t worth it to you. There’s a reason BenQ still sells a large lineup of excellent 1080p projectors.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
post #1454 of 5033 Old 03-07-2019, 12:21 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Absolutely this! - if you are wanting a 4K projector compare the HT3550 to other 4K projectors not 1080p.

I have pre ordered this on the basis that is a cracking 4K unit for it's price point - if it's 1080p performance is no worse than my existing w1070 or even slightly better then it's a win-win.
The price difference as Sage has mentioned is for the optics, dynamic iris and the 4K - it's not a $1500 1080p projector.
post #1455 of 5033 Old 03-07-2019, 12:22 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Benq has the pre-order up. Shows an expected ship date of 3/21.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
sage11x likes this.
post #1456 of 5033 Old 03-07-2019, 05:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLPdisciple View Post
Absolutely this! - if you are wanting a 4K projector compare the HT3550 to other 4K projectors not 1080p.

I have pre ordered this on the basis that is a cracking 4K unit for it's price point - if it's 1080p performance is no worse than my existing w1070 or even slightly better then it's a win-win.
The price difference as Sage has mentioned is for the optics, dynamic iris and the 4K - it's not a $1500 1080p projector.
If you are talking to me, what I am stating is that for 2x the cost, I don't want to hear "It falls short of the 2050a" in any category...and I hope it doesn't. I realize sage has stated that with the Dynamic Iris, the contrast "should" be as good as the 2050a. See, THIS is what I'm waiting for. Much more information around this. Sage will be putting something together for us on that in the near future, which will be very interesting I think. Well, for me...since I own the 2050a and think it's a great machine. Although Resolution is great on the 3550, knowing I may not take advantage of the WCG due to the hit in brightness (I may, I don't know) and the contrast "may" not be up to par with the 2050a, I'm not sure I'd want to spend 2x for this PJ after purchasing the 2050a is all.

Saying we can't compare a 4K to a 1080P PJ, and have to only compare to other 4K doesn't make sense. Big portion of the people will be upgrading from a 1080P. There are many variables and if yours so happens to be comparing this to only other 4K models, there is nothing wrong with that. But that's not indicative of everyone.
grubadub likes this.
post #1457 of 5033 Old 03-07-2019, 06:47 AM

I accept that... but I stand by the fact that this is a low cost 4K projector and like almost every item made to a price point something has to give to make that price point.
Hell, I want this to completely blow my W1070 and other 1080p projectors out of the water as much as everyone else.... it just seems that there is a lot of comparison based on the price but using a lower resolution to provide that price point.

How well it handles 1080p IS an important factor but for me that's measured against the other 4K projectors within my price range.
I also accept the fact that I am replacing a much older projector so I don't need much to make a difference re the 1080p image but surely we are anticipating a decent 4k projector for a low price?
That is the nature of my comment - as with everything I am buying for the 4K - your mileage may vary and I appreciate that other people want different things.

End of the day it is only a personal opinion and I am sorry if it is taken as anything other than that!
post #1458 of 5033 Old 03-07-2019, 06:58 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
More Contrast Measurements

Just some more measurements and evaluation from a German forum, in case people haven't seen it.

Contrast sounds great, dynamic iris sounds amazing, in my ignorant understanding of it...

https://translate.googleusercontent....GjcbjQ7x8UTxtg

"The measured values
After so much theory, Ekki Schmitt provided the first results from the test lab.
The BenQ is given as 2,000 gross lumens and the maximum luminous efficacy is 2,120 lumens - the factory specification is achieved in the dynamic but typically green mode.
The light output at D65 is at least 1,200 to 1,400 lumens, enough for image widths of 3m for HDR and thus on par with other DLPs or even with the much more expensive entry-level series from Sony, the VW270. In this mode, the DCI red is achieved even without a filter, only in intense shades of green must be taken into account.
If you want to use the 95% colorimage of the DCI-P3 triangle, the color filter must be inserted, resulting in a residual light output of 650 to 780 lumens - it is calculated 45% light output in the correct colors -va green - invested. HDR should then be usefully operated under controlled conditions up to about 100 inches.
The native contrast is called DLP-typical values ​​of up to 1,600: 1, but the value can be increased dynamically up to 6,200: 1 - few DLP projectors can keep up here. The Ansi value is then called by Ekki Schmitt solid 320: 1 - there are competitors with higher values, but not in the range of 4K resolution."
noob00224 likes this.
post #1459 of 5033 Old 03-07-2019, 06:59 AM

Looks like we have to wait a bit longer - in the UK at least,
Just phoned Benq UK and they have not got a firm date but are suggesting early April
post #1460 of 5033 Old 03-07-2019, 07:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaronman View Post
HDR should then be usefully operated under controlled conditions up to about 100 inches.
This kind of answers my question I asked the other day but never got an answer. It sounds like the DCI-P3 range and the color filter top out around a 100” screen size.

Bud
post #1461 of 5033 Old 03-07-2019, 07:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybradley View Post
If you are talking to me, what I am stating is that for 2x the cost, I don't want to hear "It falls short of the 2050a" in any category...and I hope it doesn't. I realize sage has stated that with the Dynamic Iris, the contrast "should" be as good as the 2050a. See, THIS is what I'm waiting for. Much more information around this. Sage will be putting something together for us on that in the near future, which will be very interesting I think. Well, for me...since I own the 2050a and think it's a great machine. Although Resolution is great on the 3550, knowing I may not take advantage of the WCG due to the hit in brightness (I may, I don't know) and the contrast "may" not be up to par with the 2050a, I'm not sure I'd want to spend 2x for this PJ after purchasing the 2050a is all.

Saying we can't compare a 4K to a 1080P PJ, and have to only compare to other 4K doesn't make sense. Big portion of the people will be upgrading from a 1080P. There are many variables and if yours so happens to be comparing this to only other 4K models, there is nothing wrong with that. But that's not indicative of everyone.
As far as comparison testing I don’t think it important that testing be within any given family. We compare DLP to other base technologies all the time. I even see lots of threads comparing projectors to flat panel TVs not that TVs are getting close in size just not in price/size yet. I don’t see anything wrong with comparing across resolution for two reasons. The first is most of us only have a point of reference in 1080p. So we know what a Dark Chip 3 DLP 1080p looks like and we want some measure of improvement going to one of the 4k methods of DLP. I tend to lump all the attributes of an image into one general evolution of PQ.

That’s part of the reason I have been asking how large of a screen will support the best this or any projector can support. If DCI-P3 is important to me and visually noticeable or if 4k is important to me and visually noticeable at some given distance. Then I can evaluate if I really have a need to go out and buy a new player, AVR, cabling, projector, find an internet provider that can give me adequate speeds, subscribe to 4k streaming services and most importantly start buying new media in a higher resolution or replacing what I have now with new.

I don’t doubt for a second there wont be improvement to my eyes in some ways. I’m viewing now with 1080p at a level of immersion I don’t see going past. That was something I have never been able to say before. I also know none of my friends or family wouldn’t notice much if any difference as they just seem to love whatever I put up there. As an example no one noticed the change from 720-1080 except me. They and most people are not that critical of viewers.

Pixel size / seating distance and at least seeing pixels has pretty much passed for most people when 1080 came along. I do understand there is more to acuity than just seeing pixels though as we are moving closer to realism with each resolution improvement. It is just those attributes of resolution are more subtle than they once were, and different in how we perceive them.

Looking forward to the comparison comments from sage.

Bud
post #1462 of 5033 Old 03-07-2019, 07:57 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Sage and Scotty, I know the apparent contrast looks better than the 2050a, but could you tell me if the apparent black level is better on the 3550 vs a well used say 1500-2000 hour 2050a used in eco so about half way lifespan bulb. I feel like this is where many of us will be coming from, good contrast projects that are from from being new. Then installing the 3550 and getting our first impression on contrast and making a quick decision on whether is better or worse. I know after 100 hours the bulb will dim quite a bit but I feel many buyers will do a “side by side” right out of the box.
post #1463 of 5033 Old 03-07-2019, 08:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 199
If they can get 6000:1+ contrast that's great with iris on. That's in line with VA panel tvs.
post #1464 of 5033 Old 03-07-2019, 09:06 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordon777 View Post
Benq has the pre-order up. Shows an expected ship date of 3/21.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Thanks, I placed my order. It showed sold out earlier and I couldn't do it but it's fine now. Fry's has cheaper 2 day shipping but I'm hoping standard ground direct from Benq would still be faster.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
post #1465 of 5033 Old 03-07-2019, 09:31 AM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Anyone else notice the new ship date of March 21st? I called BenQ to verify as well as ask if Amazon would be getting at same time as direct, and was told yes. WOOHOO!!
post #1466 of 5033 Old 03-07-2019, 10:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3831 Post(s)
Liked: 3031
Quote:
Originally Posted by bud16415 View Post
This kind of answers my question I asked the other day but never got an answer. It sounds like the DCI-P3 range and the color filter top out around a 100” screen size.
That's only a general rule of thumb applicable to a 1.0 gain screen. If someone wanted an equally bright 120" image they could go to a 1.3 gain screen. You'd also need to factor in personal preferences. Ekki's conclusions are based on industry standards for screen fL whereas some may accept a dimmer image and others may prefer brighter. When it comes to video projection one size definitely doesn't fit all.
post #1467 of 5033 Old 03-07-2019, 10:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
That's only a general rule of thumb applicable to a 1.0 gain screen. If someone wanted an equally bright 120" image they could go to a 1.3 gain screen. You'd also need to factor in personal preferences. Ekki's conclusions are based on industry standards for screen fL whereas some may accept a dimmer image and others may prefer brighter. When it comes to video projection one size definitely doesn't fit all.
I know that as well as anybody, I watch a .5 gain gray screen.

On the other hand there needs to be benchmarks to any evaluation and the gold standard of projection is a 1.0 gain lambertian distribution screen producing SMPTE spec 16 foot lamberts max brightness image.

What we do with that information is then up to us as we don’t run commercial theaters so we can run as bright or dark as we like. The HT3550 is considered a home theater projector so I would measure it by those benchmarks, as they don’t seem to really have a benchmark for this new HDR stuff with front projection.

I don’t even have a problem rating it with it switched out of DCI-P3 mode and the filter disengaged as that is the bright mode being recommended for non theater viewing just that people understand it’s in a mode similar to other projectors within the Rec.709 color space in terms of color. I’m sure it looks great and maybe even imposable to tell the difference I don’t know.

Bud
post #1468 of 5033 Old 03-07-2019, 10:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3831 Post(s)
Liked: 3031
@bud16415 , I knew you knew all that. What I posted was directed at those who don't know all that and could easily misinterpret your original comment to mean that there was no way under any circumstances they could use the HT3550 in DCI-P3 mode on any screen >100".
post #1469 of 5033 Old 03-07-2019, 10:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1736 Post(s)
Liked: 4979
Quote:
Originally Posted by thadius65 View Post
Anyone else notice the new ship date of March 21st? I called BenQ to verify as well as ask if Amazon would be getting at same time as direct, and was told yes. WOOHOO!!
I also emailed my contact at B&H with a screenshot of that to confirm shipping.
Getting super impatient considering the minor fiasco I went through but also super excited to finally get it!!
post #1470 of 5033 Old 03-07-2019, 10:58 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 46
has amazon corrected the price for anyone one ?
since its still showing 1900$
furlonium likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page