BenQ W2700 / HT3550 Announcement and Owner’s Thread - Page 54 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2689Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1591 of 4724 Old 03-12-2019, 08:39 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryudoadema View Post
Interesting they state the dynamic iris is less aggressive than Epson's. I'm curious if BenQ will be making further improvements to the iris via user upgradable firmware.
wk11793 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1592 of 4724 Old 03-12-2019, 10:29 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 6
I see a lot of us are focused on the input lag.

I have always ran my W1070 in the smarteco mode. Does that mode raise the input lag at all?

I'm trying to figure out how much a difference I should expect when gaming.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Jordon777 is offline  
post #1593 of 4724 Old 03-12-2019, 10:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DavidK442's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 1,678
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 879 Post(s)
Liked: 737
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryudoadema View Post
Really looking forward to the review, especially this:

"I have yet to put the HT3550 up “side by side” with the Epson 5040UB I have mounted. I will do that, and have comparison photos in the full review, so stay tuned.

I hope they do an in-depth comparison covering all the key attributes; color, detail, light output, contrast and low light black level. Should be a very interesting shoot out.
DavidK442 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1594 of 4724 Old 03-13-2019, 06:07 AM
Member
 
xp0z3d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 108
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post
When I bought a projector at my local BB last year they had a 15% re-stocking fee if I returned it. Has that changed?
Thats what I thought too but I am not too sure about it. Will have to ask local BB and find out what exactly they do. I hope they do not have a restocking fee, then I can buy both Benq and a Epson, and see which one I like better in my space and return the one that does not work well for me. But if they have some restocking then it will be hard to do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by home4sale2 View Post
I bought mine direct from BenQ, first time for everything. Will let you know how it goes but I would assume BenQ will stand behind its product and warranty with no middle person to speak of. Most retailers (or outlets online) have 30-90 days return so once you are past that, all is equal I suppose.
Did they charge a sales tax?

Quote:
Originally Posted by home4sale2 View Post
BenQ direct has 30 day return policy for exchange or refund. It said ground shipping for returns so I am assuming it's on the house? Might be worth checking out.
So just pay return shipping and no restocking?
xp0z3d is offline  
post #1595 of 4724 Old 03-13-2019, 06:24 AM
Senior Member
 
home4sale2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 219
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 63
BenQ W2700 / HT3550 Announcement and Owner’s Thread

Xp, best give them a call and report back as I had no intentions of returning it and I didn’t find out. No tax was charged but some states do require you report online purchases so you can be made whole with your obligations


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
xp0z3d likes this.
home4sale2 is offline  
post #1596 of 4724 Old 03-13-2019, 06:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sage11x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Howell, MI
Posts: 6,594
Mentioned: 198 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2751 Post(s)
Liked: 2735
Quote:
Originally Posted by wk11793 View Post
Interesting they state the dynamic iris is less aggressive than Epson's. I'm curious if BenQ will be making further improvements to the iris via user upgradable firmware.


An aggressive iris is not necessarily a good thing.
unretarded likes this.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
sage11x is offline  
post #1597 of 4724 Old 03-13-2019, 06:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
subacabra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Hillsborough, New Jersey
Posts: 2,546
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1679 Post(s)
Liked: 4896
One more day of waiting, delivery tomorrow!!!
CallingMrBenzo likes this.
subacabra is online now  
post #1598 of 4724 Old 03-13-2019, 08:46 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by subacabra View Post
One more day of waiting, delivery tomorrow!!!


Where did you order from?!

I’m still within my return period for my Acer Projector, and want to jump on this but it says the release date is the 25th of March


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Delumine is offline  
post #1599 of 4724 Old 03-13-2019, 09:47 AM
Member
 
drunkwithpower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 68
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have read the various reviews for BenQ's latest 4k offering and really would like to use it in my own theater room. I have a few questions for the experts regarding use of this projector in a dedicated theater room (light is controlled). I know I can access the projector calculator at benq.com to determine throw distances, but for whatever reason a lot of this stuff is doesn't always make sense to me. Can someone help me figure out the maximum 16:9 screen size I could utilize and still get good results given this is a light-controlled room (room dimensions 21' D x 17' W x 9' H)? My previous theater room had a 120 inch screen and that was great, but I am thinking a 135 inch screen would be better. The first row of seats will sit approximately 12-13 feet from the screen, and from what I can gather from the projector calculator the projector will have to be mounted (ceiling mount) in front of the seats? Am I understanding this correctly? Is this optimal? Will the fan noise be annoying being just in front of the primary seating area? Should I be looking at other 4k projectors instead?

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by drunkwithpower; 03-13-2019 at 09:53 AM.
drunkwithpower is offline  
post #1600 of 4724 Old 03-13-2019, 09:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tonybradley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Where the Internet stinks
Posts: 4,379
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delumine View Post
Where did you order from?!

I’m still within my return period for my Acer Projector, and want to jump on this but it says the release date is the 25th of March


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scuba purchased from B&H. There is an entire story behind it, where B&H mistakenly sent him an Engineering Model and stopped the shipment while in route to his house. He was promised to be bumped to the top of the list due to the fiasco. Most likely why he's being shipped one before others.
subacabra likes this.
tonybradley is offline  
post #1601 of 4724 Old 03-13-2019, 09:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tonybradley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Where the Internet stinks
Posts: 4,379
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkwithpower View Post
I have read the various reviews for BenQ's latest 4k offering and really would like to use it in my own theater room. I have a few questions for the experts regarding use of this projector in a dedicated theater room (light is controlled). I know I can access the projector calculator at benq.com to determine throw distances, but for whatever reason a lot of this stuff is doesn't always make sense to me. Can someone help me figure out the maximum 16:9 screen size I could utilize and still get good results given this is a light-controlled room (room dimensions 21' D x 17' W x 9' H)? My previous theater room had a 120 inch screen and that was great, but I am thinking a 135 inch screen would be better. The first row of seats will sit approximately 12-13 feet from the screen, and from what I can gather from the projector calculator the projector will have to be mounted (ceiling mount) in front of the seats? Am I understanding this correctly? Is this optimal? Will the fan noise be annoying being just in front of the primary seating area? Should I be looking at other 4k projectors instead?

Thanks for any help!
11'1" to 14'5" would be how far the lens has to be to the screen to throw a 135". Scotty projected on a 160" screen for his Review. Based on the reviews, at a screen size of 135", it may not be bright enough for you to take advantage of the WCG that uses the filter, as it dims the bulb by 30-40% or so. Scotty and sage recommend a light controlled room with 120" max screen to enjoy the WCG with the Filter and still be bright enough.

Remember that light controlled doesn't just mean Lamps and Windows. It means controlling light reflections off the screen as well. If you have a dedicated room, I would assume you probably have a black ceiling and dark walls, and possibly the some Velvet to help control those reflections.

As far as being 12-13' from the screen, that's a personal preference. Many on this thread love to sit really close and have an "IMAX" feel. I'm not. I sit about 12 feet back from a 120" screen. Just about perfect for me for 2.35:1 movies. When I watch full 16:9, it's a little too close for me.
tonybradley is offline  
post #1602 of 4724 Old 03-13-2019, 10:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Out West
Posts: 1,309
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 756 Post(s)
Liked: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
Dynamic iris is fairly common on 3LCD and LCoS projectors but much less common on DLP models which typically go with the less expensive and less effective dynamic lamp dimming which is baked into the TI chipset. I believe the least expensive projector on the market with dynamic iris is the Epson 1060, but it's not as sophisticated and effective as those on Epson's more expensive models. Not sure which current DLP model with a dynamic iris is the least expensive. Might be the new JVC LX-UH1.
OTOH, dynamic lamp dimming (DLD) greatly extends lamp life and as the lamp ages it will retain higher brightness at any given time, which is important for HDR.

Reviewers tend to look at new machines with only a few hundred hours on the clock but put 2000 hrs on the clock and a pj that used DLD will retain much higher peak output than the same pj that left the lamp on high and used a DI.
DunMunro is offline  
post #1603 of 4724 Old 03-13-2019, 10:04 AM
Member
 
drunkwithpower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 68
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybradley View Post
11'1" to 14'5" would be how far the lens has to be to the screen to throw a 135". Scotty projected on a 160" screen for his Review. Based on the reviews, at a screen size of 135", it may not be bright enough for you to take advantage of the WCG that uses the filter, as it dims the bulb by 30-40% or so. Scotty and sage recommend a light controlled room with 120" max screen to enjoy the WCG with the Filter and still be bright enough.

Remember that light controlled doesn't just mean Lamps and Windows. It means controlling light reflections off the screen as well. If you have a dedicated room, I would assume you probably have a black ceiling and dark walls, and possibly the some Velvet to help control those reflections.

As far as being 12-13' from the screen, that's a personal preference. Many on this thread love to sit really close and have an "IMAX" feel. I'm not. I sit about 12 feet back from a 120" screen. Just about perfect for me for 2.35:1 movies. When I watch full 16:9, it's a little too close for me.
Thank you for the response! Yes, the room will have dark ceiling/walls, but I haven't thought about additional measures. My wife and I share similar issues with motion sickness when sitting too close to the screen in movie theaters, and this issue is compounded when sitting in a much smaller home theater. To remedy this we have found the 12-13 foot range is just the right distance for us. This also leaves us a generous 8 foot riser behind for the second row seating. I was hoping for the 135 inch screen but am thinking you are probably right in that we should stick with the 120 inch for optimal viewing.
drunkwithpower is offline  
post #1604 of 4724 Old 03-13-2019, 10:37 AM
Senior Member
 
BrandonH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Virginia
Posts: 219
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Look what I just picked up from the FedEx office! Now I might have to develop a sudden illness when I get back to work and go home early lol. In case anyone is wondering mine was ordered from Benq direct and shipped the same day as Subacabra's last Friday. I am apparently just a little bit closer.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
BrandonH is offline  
post #1605 of 4724 Old 03-13-2019, 10:39 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 1
benq emailed me back, they pay for return shipping, and befrugal has 3% cashback.

Original message
Nathan wrote:

im looking to replace my ht2050 with the ht3550, and am wondering what the return policy is if i dont like it. do i pay for return shipping if i live in hawaii? thank you

Sean replied:

Hey there Nathan
We offer a 30 day return policy and we cover all shipment costs.
There’s also no restocking fee.
Simply just let us know and we’ll send over a prepaid label for you to send this back for a full refund.
Thanks!
Sean.
marinereef is online now  
post #1606 of 4724 Old 03-13-2019, 10:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
subacabra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Hillsborough, New Jersey
Posts: 2,546
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1679 Post(s)
Liked: 4896
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonH View Post
Look what I just picked up from the FedEx office! Now I might have to develop a sudden illness when I get back to work and go home early lol. In case anyone is wondering mine was ordered from Benq direct and shipped the same day as Subacabra's last Friday. I am apparently just a little bit closer.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Sweet! Yeah I took off Friday so I can install and tinker with mine!
Also have a 100" zero edge coming for my bedroom where I'm moving my ht2050 lol
CallingMrBenzo and unretarded like this.
subacabra is online now  
post #1607 of 4724 Old 03-13-2019, 10:45 AM
Senior Member
 
BrandonH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Virginia
Posts: 219
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by subacabra View Post
Sweet! Yeah I took off Friday so I can install and tinker with mine!
Also have a 100" zero edge coming for my bedroom where I'm moving my ht2050 lol
I just noticed the Wed 3/20 sticker on the front of mine. Makes me think someone in the warehouse slipped up and shipped it early lol. I will not complain.
BrandonH is offline  
post #1608 of 4724 Old 03-13-2019, 10:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
subacabra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Hillsborough, New Jersey
Posts: 2,546
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1679 Post(s)
Liked: 4896
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonH View Post
I just noticed the Wed 3/20 sticker on the front of mine. Makes me think someone in the warehouse slipped up and shipped it early lol. I will not complain.
Well hopefully ours have the most recent firmware! Lol
BrandonH likes this.
subacabra is online now  
post #1609 of 4724 Old 03-13-2019, 10:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Teremei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,014
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 804 Post(s)
Liked: 408
on the phone with benqdirect they said the mount I bought last year is the newest mount and it should fit.

Upstairs - Sony 75x940e: soundbar - Klipsch R-20B
Basement - BenQ HT3050: screen - Elite 125" motorized ATS: speakers - RF-7IIx2, RC-64II, RS-41IIx2, RS-42IIx2, AVR Denon x4000 -- subs PC-12NSD + RW12D
Bedroom - LG 65eg9600: soundbar - LG SH3K
Teremei is offline  
post #1610 of 4724 Old 03-13-2019, 11:00 AM
Senior Member
 
BrandonH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Virginia
Posts: 219
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by subacabra View Post
Well hopefully ours have the most recent firmware! Lol
I hope so, I'm feeling better about that now. For a little bit I was paranoid they had even sent the right item because the shipping weight listed on the fedex tracking site was about half of what it should have been.
BrandonH is offline  
post #1611 of 4724 Old 03-13-2019, 11:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
subacabra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Hillsborough, New Jersey
Posts: 2,546
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1679 Post(s)
Liked: 4896
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonH View Post
I hope so, I'm feeling better about that now. For a little bit I was paranoid they had even sent the right item because the shipping weight listed on the fedex tracking site was about half of what it should have been.
That's so weird! When they shipped me the engineering unit the weight was like 5lbs.
The one coming tomorrow is listed at 13 which sounds more like it.
But enough about all that, get that puppy up and running and report back!!
subacabra is online now  
post #1612 of 4724 Old 03-13-2019, 11:25 AM
Senior Member
 
andy4theherd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 349
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Was it ever confirmed if the Xbox One X has the same 4k disc playback issues that were noted in the review as the S? There are several trade in deals right now so I could swap my S for an X at less than the price of a standalone 4k player.
andy4theherd is offline  
post #1613 of 4724 Old 03-13-2019, 11:41 AM
Advanced Member
 
Samfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 547
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by subacabra View Post
Well hopefully ours have the most recent firmware! Lol
Not trying to be smart, but that's one of real selling features of the 3550, user upgradeable firmware via USB. I could never understand how high-end receivers and pre-amps, Blu-ray players, etc, could be upgraded via USB, or wireless download, but not a digital projector. Really nice that USB upgrades are available on the 3550.
subacabra likes this.
Samfield is offline  
post #1614 of 4724 Old 03-13-2019, 11:42 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonH View Post
Look what I just picked up from the FedEx office! Now I might have to develop a sudden illness when I get back to work and go home early lol. In case anyone is wondering mine was ordered from Benq direct and shipped the same day as Subacabra's last Friday. I am apparently just a little bit closer.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk


If you have an Apple TV 4K please test the following:

4:2:2 and 4:4:4 support without banding

Auto-HDR (screensaver and media switching) I have to manually click the “HDR” button on my projector for it to actually “activate”

Flickering?

Judder, and motion when watching a movie?

Black Levels

Handshake length, for example when I exit a 4K movie it takes a while for my projector to go back to the home screen/normal picture settings

Suitable brightness? I have a 3000 lumen projector for an 84” screen




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Delumine is offline  
post #1615 of 4724 Old 03-13-2019, 11:46 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy4theherd View Post
Was it ever confirmed if the Xbox One X has the same 4k disc playback issues that were noted in the review as the S? There are several trade in deals right now so I could swap my S for an X at less than the price of a standalone 4k player.
do you have a link for the trade in offers? thanks
marinereef is online now  
post #1616 of 4724 Old 03-13-2019, 11:53 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidK442 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryudoadema View Post


Really looking forward to the review, especially this:

"I have yet to put the HT3550 up “side by side” with the Epson 5040UB I have mounted. I will do that, and have comparison photos in the full review, so stay tuned.

I hope they do an in-depth comparison covering all the key attributes; color, detail, light output, contrast and low light black level. Should be a very interesting shoot out.
Me too! I'm back to considering this pj again based on that first look, despite what I think will be borderline input lag for me. Really want to see comparison images between the 5040 and the 3550.

The projector will have to be just forward of my seating location which will be interesting. I suppose I better check SAF on that before pulling a trigger.
jtorrence3 is offline  
post #1617 of 4724 Old 03-13-2019, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
scottyroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Happy Valley, Utah
Posts: 934
Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 616 Post(s)
Liked: 818
BenQ W2700 / HT3550 Announcement and Owner’s Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy4theherd View Post
Was it ever confirmed if the Xbox One X has the same 4k disc playback issues that were noted in the review as the S? There are several trade in deals right now so I could swap my S for an X at less than the price of a standalone 4k player.


Funny. I literally just swapped my S at the Microsoft store 15 minutes ago for an X with the promo they are doing. I’ll test.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

"The Bunker" | Dedicated Theater Build Under Suspended Slab Garage
Testing: BenQ HT5550 | Epson 5050UB | 160" Dragonfly™ Fixed AT Screen
Denon X6300H | 9.4.4 (7.2.4 Discrete) | 9x Episode 900 Series LCR/Surrounds | 4x Episode 1700 Series ATMOS Heights | 4x Episode 12" Evo Subs
Sony X700 | Xbox One X | NVIDIA Shield TV
scottyroo is offline  
post #1618 of 4724 Old 03-13-2019, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
scottyroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Happy Valley, Utah
Posts: 934
Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 616 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by marinereef View Post
do you have a link for the trade in offers? thanks


Google Xbox trade in. Microsoft’s guaranteed $75 one plus $60 game is the best one.

"The Bunker" | Dedicated Theater Build Under Suspended Slab Garage
Testing: BenQ HT5550 | Epson 5050UB | 160" Dragonfly™ Fixed AT Screen
Denon X6300H | 9.4.4 (7.2.4 Discrete) | 9x Episode 900 Series LCR/Surrounds | 4x Episode 1700 Series ATMOS Heights | 4x Episode 12" Evo Subs
Sony X700 | Xbox One X | NVIDIA Shield TV
scottyroo is offline  
post #1619 of 4724 Old 03-13-2019, 12:00 PM
Senior Member
 
BrandonH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Virginia
Posts: 219
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delumine View Post
If you have an Apple TV 4K please test the following:

4:2:2 and 4:4:4 support without banding

Auto-HDR (screensaver and media switching) I have to manually click the “HDR” button on my projector for it to actually “activate”

Flickering?

Judder, and motion when watching a movie?

Black Levels

Handshake length, for example when I exit a 4K movie it takes a while for my projector to go back to the home screen/normal picture settings

Suitable brightness? I have a 3000 lumen projector for an 84” screen




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I do have an Apple TV 4k and should be able to test some of that for you. Hopefully I get it all hooked up tonight and can play with it some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samfield View Post
Not trying to be smart, but that's one of real selling features of the 3550, user upgradable firmware via USB. I could never understand how high-end receivers and pre-amps, Blu-ray players, etc, could be upgraded via USB, or wireless download, but not a digital projector. Really nice that USB upgrades are available on the 3550.
Sage had mentioned to me in a PM that the reason his first unit had to go back was for them to update the iris behavior to make is less aggressive, so there is apparently some parts of the projector that is not fully user upgradable. I hope most things will be though.
BrandonH is offline  
post #1620 of 4724 Old 03-13-2019, 12:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Dave in Green's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 8,354
Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3787 Post(s)
Liked: 3001
Quote:
Originally Posted by DunMunro View Post
OTOH, dynamic lamp dimming (DLD) greatly extends lamp life and as the lamp ages it will retain higher brightness at any given time, which is important for HDR.

Reviewers tend to look at new machines with only a few hundred hours on the clock but put 2000 hrs on the clock and a pj that used DLD will retain much higher peak output than the same pj that left the lamp on high and used a DI.
Yep, there are pros and cons to everything, which is why no single solution is "best" for everyone. Each person has to weigh all the pros and cons of each option and decide which option has the best balance to suit their personal preferences and needs.
Dave in Green is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off