BenQ W2700 / HT3550 Announcement and Owner’s Thread - Page 56 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2708Likes

post #1651 of 4747 Old 03-13-2019, 09:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 198 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked: 2752
Quote:
Originally Posted by DunMunro View Post
How is the Dynamic lamp dimming (smart eco) working?

Smarteco works much as it always has. It’s not as effective as the iris but I’d say it’s marginally less visible in action. In a way it’s the dimming control on the HT3550. Whereas a projector like the Epson 4010 offers normal and high speed settings for it’s iris, the HT3550 offers iris or lamp dimming through the smart eco. I would still prefer more control over the iris but they seem to have struck a good balance— at least on the revision I’m working with here.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1652 of 4747 Old 03-13-2019, 09:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

BenQ W2700 / HT3550 Announcement and Owner’s Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Butny View Post
If you can get into the service manual you can adjust how the dynamic Iris works. I have done this with my W6000. The flickering probably is just the iris clamping down, they must have it set aggressive. You can adjust it so it's not so noticeable when it engages on certain scenes.

This is helpful info but he shouldn’t have to get into the service menu. BenQ decided not to implement a strength setting on the iris so the out-of-the box setting needs to strike a good balance.

I’m very happy with the current revision of the hardware. Sounds like Art would like a bit more aggressive intervention. So it’s a balancing act. If I had to guess I’d say Brandon’s unit is missing the revision my sample has. Hopefully that’s what they want the unit back for. Again, I’m going to reach out to my contact and see what I can find out.

Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

Last edited by sage11x; 03-13-2019 at 09:44 PM.
post #1653 of 4747 Old 03-13-2019, 11:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 1495 Post(s)
Liked: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
Smarteco works much as it always has. It’s not as effective as the iris but I’d say it’s marginally less visible in action. In a way it’s the dimming control on the HT3550. Whereas a projector like the Epson 4010 offers normal and high speed settings for it’s iris, the HT3550 offers iris or lamp dimming through the smart eco. I would still prefer more control over the iris but they seem to have struck a good balance— at least on the revision I’m working with here.
I find the lamp dimming on the TK800 obtrusive, much more noticeable than on my HT2050A. Have you done any head to head comparisons between your TK800 or HT2550 and the HT3550 ? I know you were planning on comparing to the 1080P HT2050A, which is actually problematic because you can't simply split a 4k source and send it to both 4k and 1080P displays, but it didn't occur to me to ask if you had done a comparison to one of the older Benq 4k projectors you have on hand.

As far as lamp dimming vs. dynamic iris goes, I was kind of hoping they could combine both. In @scottyroo 's video clip it seems clear that the iris never closes down completely, which means no "infinite" FOFO contrast for scene transitions. Just based on the video, it would seem the iris cannot reduce lamp brightness by more than 50%, where HT2050A lamp dimming was able to cut lamp power by 70%. If lamp dimming was combined with dynamic iris, it seems like black floor could be improved significantly. Thoughts ? Do you suppose Benq is simply playing it safe by making it an either/or choice with their first attempt at 4k w/iris, and they might tweak firmware later to allow levels of iris use and possibly combine with dynamic lamp dimming ?

Did you ever manage to acquire blocks of wood so you can do side-by-side comparison between two projectors properly ?
sage11x likes this.

Kirk Ellis
BenQ TK800 VuTec 122" Screen, Harmon Kardon AVR 247
Psycoustic Mark III L&R Towers, Boston Center, Energy Take 5 Surrounds
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1654 of 4747 Old 03-14-2019, 03:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I'm based in Europe and was asking the about expected shipping date of my preorder. Wasn't satisfied with the reply - end of the April (not 100% confirmed).

Guys looking at your comparisions HT2050 vs 3550

I can't wait another 1,5 month :/
post #1655 of 4747 Old 03-14-2019, 04:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonH View Post
...I got delayed because I had to cut one of the arms on my mount shorter otherwise the arms were hitting each other no matter how I arranged them.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
That's the exact problem I had with my Peerless mount for the HT2050a. I didn't think about cutting one of the arms shorter to resolve that.
post #1656 of 4747 Old 03-14-2019, 04:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 196
My Epson 8350 just died on Sunday. I had been following these threads with great interest and based on everything I read, I placed an order for a 3550. I hope it has black levels that are at least as good as the 8350 which were just okay.

Anyway, one quick question as I ponder setting up my universal remote control. Does the 3550 have descreet on and off?
post #1657 of 4747 Old 03-14-2019, 05:11 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have an Acer H7850... which I’m probably going to return when I can get one of these bad boys.

My question is the brightness impact?

I have an elite screen 85” motorized 1.1 gain screen.

The distance of my current Projector is 10.5 feet from the screen. I watch everything with all the lights off, but there are nearby white walls that reflect light from the screen itself.

Would I have a vastly dimmer picture from this projector, or would it be worth it for all the superior features?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #1658 of 4747 Old 03-14-2019, 07:27 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 12
My unit is scheduled for delivery tomorrow from BenQ Direct but just got a call from BenQ that the color wheel is only calibrated to a 70% level on that unit in error and they will have the correctly calibrated one in by Wednesday/Thursday next week and will overnight the new one to me. Just an FYI.
post #1659 of 4747 Old 03-14-2019, 07:34 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Guess all the early birds are getting a bad batch

post #1660 of 4747 Old 03-14-2019, 07:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

BenQ W2700 / HT3550 Announcement and Owner’s Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delumine View Post
Guess all the early birds are getting a bad batch

I’ll get more details.

post #1661 of 4747 Old 03-14-2019, 08:10 AM

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I think I’ll wait a week or two at least so everyone else can be the guinea pig. Get the problems found and fixed before getting my unit. Thought by this point they would have production ramped up with 100s to 1000s of units in inventory ready to be shipped out. As we are halfway through March.
tonybradley and mickey79 like this.
post #1662 of 4747 Old 03-14-2019, 08:33 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 9
I also just got a call from Benq regarding my order. Stated that my projector from the first batch was only calibrated to cover I think it was 70% of the DCI-P3 color space and that I had two options moving forward. Get a replacement from a new batch that should arrive at Benq late next week and that projector would cover the claimed 95%. They'd priority overnight it to me and include a shipping label to send the first unit back. Option 2 was to have me overnight the first unit back and they would re-calibrate it and overnight it back, but they could only get it to 85%.
post #1663 of 4747 Old 03-14-2019, 08:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 738 Post(s)
Liked: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybradley View Post
That's the exact problem I had with my Peerless mount for the HT2050a. I didn't think about cutting one of the arms shorter to resolve that.

I’m a huge fanboy of the vantage point mounts. They come with 8 arms 4 short, 4 long and can be used with only 3 if need be. Infinitely adjustable and can be wall or ceiling mounted. I’m really surprised they don’t get more love here.
curtlots likes this.
post #1664 of 4747 Old 03-14-2019, 08:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1696 Post(s)
Liked: 4921
Quote:
Originally Posted by sholzer View Post
I also just got a call from Benq regarding my order. Stated that my projector from the first batch was only calibrated to cover I think it was 70% of the DCI-P3 color space and that I had two options moving forward. Get a replacement from a new batch that should arrive at Benq late next week and that projector would cover the claimed 95%. They'd priority overnight it to me and include a shipping label to send the first unit back. Option 2 was to have me overnight the first unit back and they would re-calibrate it and overnight it back, but they could only get it to 85%.
Same here pretty much. I spoke with Sean and Jeffrey from Benq and they are going to overnight me a corrected unit sometime next week.
They offered to overnight me a unit with 85% coverage but I'd rather just wait for the good one.
It's been a frustrating wait with having two units sent back when they were almost here but in the end it'll be worth it.
The fact that they're going to overnight it when they get it makes me super happy.
Looking forward to finally getting it
post #1665 of 4747 Old 03-14-2019, 09:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by determined View Post
My unit is scheduled for delivery tomorrow from BenQ Direct but just got a call from BenQ that the color wheel is only calibrated to a 70% level on that unit in error and they will have the correctly calibrated one in by Wednesday/Thursday next week and will overnight the new one to me. Just an FYI.
Sounds like BenQ got into a Rush to get these out by a specific date and Quality Control wasn't the best. At least BenQ contacted those of you who ordered from them. I would't be upset at that. Maybe frustrated, but not upset. For Scuba, to have had two on the way to his house just to get pulled, that stinks.
subacabra likes this.
post #1666 of 4747 Old 03-14-2019, 10:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamer View Post
I find the lamp dimming on the TK800 obtrusive, much more noticeable than on my HT2050A. Have you done any head to head comparisons between your TK800 or HT2550 and the HT3550 ? I know you were planning on comparing to the 1080P HT2050A, which is actually problematic because you can't simply split a 4k source and send it to both 4k and 1080P displays, but it didn't occur to me to ask if you had done a comparison to one of the older Benq 4k projectors you have on hand.

As far as lamp dimming vs. dynamic iris goes, I was kind of hoping they could combine both. In @scottyroo 's video clip it seems clear that the iris never closes down completely, which means no "infinite" FOFO contrast for scene transitions. Just based on the video, it would seem the iris cannot reduce lamp brightness by more than 50%, where HT2050A lamp dimming was able to cut lamp power by 70%. If lamp dimming was combined with dynamic iris, it seems like black floor could be improved significantly. Thoughts ? Do you suppose Benq is simply playing it safe by making it an either/or choice with their first attempt at 4k w/iris, and they might tweak firmware later to allow levels of iris use and possibly combine with dynamic lamp dimming ?

Did you ever manage to acquire blocks of wood so you can do side-by-side comparison between two projectors properly ?

I did directly compare the HT3550 with the HT2550. With all due respect to the HT2550, a projector I LIKE, the HT3550 trounces it. There isn’t single thing I can think of where the HT3550 doesn’t have a clear and distinct advantage. It’s just in another league. Which is why I was so shocked by the price...

As far as the Ht2050A comparison. I’ve been spending time going back and forth with both. My comparison will focus on HD content because, as you point out, the HT2050A can’t do 4K. Plus, the HT3550 has such a clear advantage in picture quality when displaying 4K/HDR it almost wouldn’t be fair to the HT2050A. UHD is just superior to HD.

As far as lamp dimming vs iris, there’s a very simple explanation that I can think of but I’m not sure if it’s 100% correct: the iris is controlled by Dynamic Black which is a function of the TI chipset (which is why you see it on many DLP projectors of various brands). BenQ, to my knowledge, has never previously used dynamic black instead opting for their own, proprietary SmartEco lamp dimming algorithm.

Personally, I’m worried less about full screen blacks and more about contrast in scene. The HT2550 could look stunning with some content but when you got to dark scenes or scenes with a lot of shadow detail the poor black levels were so obvious. The HT3550 isn’t going to impress any LCOS fans but the contrast/blacks are no longer an obstacle.

As far as tweaks: the HT3550 has user upgradeable firmware but the iris/dynamic black must be upgraded by BenQ themselves as it’s tied to the TI chipset.

Finally: Dreamer, we’ve already discussed that felt wrapped cardboard is OBVIOUSLY the only way to do a same screen comparison. I will hear no more of your wooden block propaganda, sir!
NxNW, DavidK442, scottyroo and 1 others like this.

post #1667 of 4747 Old 03-14-2019, 10:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked: 365
I would suspect that writing the firmware to successfully control the DI and DLD at the same time is doable, yet probably a very daunting task, but maybe if enough users request it then it might get done.
post #1668 of 4747 Old 03-14-2019, 11:04 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hail the early adopters and the trials and tribulations they face!
post #1669 of 4747 Old 03-14-2019, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 616 Post(s)
Liked: 819
TK800M vs HT3550 vs TK800

I posted in the TK800M channel but I: know there are several here who are eager for the comparison of the new TK800M. For clarity's sake, the TK800M is NOT the yet-to-be-named bright version of the HT3550. The TK800M is the slightly improved replacement model for last year's TK800.

First off - press release. Price is $1,299.

Last night I took delivery and spent approx 3-4 hours with the TK800M. I played Halo and Forza Horizon 4 on my Xbox One X in glorious 4K HDR. I watched 45 minutes of Avatar in 3D. I watched 30-45 minutes of Thor: Ragnarok and Avengers: Infinity War.

Here are my first impressions of the TK800M compared to the HT3550 and the TK800. Full disclosure: this is a bit of apples to oranges comparison since the TK800M doesn't belong to the same family of projectors as the HT3550. However, since people will undoubtedly be comparing these two in their buying decision, I'll oblige and humor the comparisons...

Full review to come later on.

What's new vs the TK800?

The TK800M is using the same chassis as the TK800. The main differences is a new lens for better sharpness and the new TI DMD chip which eliminates the gray border.

BenQ's post-launch firmware support of the TK800 was very good so the TK800M also benefits from what BenQ learned from the TK800 in that regard. Several improvements I noticed on the TK800M include better HDR tone mapping algorithms, better 3D support, and auto selecting HDR mode when detecting HDR content were all new to me compared to the TK800 unit I had in my theater for 8 months.

Focus and Sharpness

Focus was a mixed bag for me with the TK800. My pre-production unit had obvious focus uniformity issues, however those were fixed in the production unit I tested shortly thereafter.

Dialing in the focus on the TK800M was a pleasure last night. This is the sharpest and most uniformly focused 4K projector I've seen yet from BenQ. With my nose to the screen I could make out individual pixels in moving images.

The HT3550 I am testing is a pre-production unit and I am told the focus uniformity on that will improve in production. But as of today, the BenQ 4K focus and sharpness crown goes to this unit, the TK800M, that I am testing right now.

Winner: TK800M
Runner Up: HT3550

HDR

Tone mapping is marginally improved on the TK800M compared to the TK800. Soooo... I really liked the TK800. I like it because of what the extra brightness allowed it to do with my larger 160" screen. I enjoyed HDR on the TK800 more than the HT2550 simply because of the extra oomph the TK800 provided with its brightness. After I turned on HDR content I was reminded just how damn spoiled I have been with the HT3550's HDR image. This was interesting for me to experience because over the last week I have gotten 'content' with the HT3550. The HT3550's 'HDR-Pro' implementation has better brightness, contrast, and tone mapping compared to its baby brother's the TK800 and TK800M. However, the TK800M does hold its own in HDR. It's actually pretty good, especially in gaming. Each HDR game on the Xbox One X has its own HDR image adjustments within the game menu. I played both Forza Horizon 4 and Halo: MCC on both the HT3550 and TK800M last night in 4K HDR. They were both beautiful to play on but with the extra brightness of the TK800M, the slightly sharper image (lots of text in gaming), and the slightly lower input lag... I prefered the TK800M for GAMING only.

Overall HDR Winner: HT3550... by a landslide
BUT... Gaming HDR Winner: TK800M... by a hair.
A respectful showing, but 3rd in both: TK800

Contrast/Blacks

This one's kind of interesting. The dynamic iris in the HT3550 gives it a HUGE advantage in dark scene contrast and black levels, ESPECIALLY in HDR. The TK800M got rid of the gray border and to my eye, contrast has improved, but it still has a high grey point in dark or completely black screens. For example, the HT3550's letterboxes in a dark HDR scene like the first one with Thor in the cave actually look very close to black. The TK800M's are gray, along with a high gray point in other parts of the image. HOWEVER.... in regular bright scenes, the TK800M closes the gap considerably. The extra brightness is put to very good use and concerns of contrast don't exist in these types of scenes. Which brings me to my point... if you don't have a completely darkened viewing room, you will not be able to fully appreciate the very good contrast and black levels of the HT3550. That is why the TK800M is marketed as a "Living Room Entertainment" projector... because it does better than its siblings at cutting through ambient light with its high lumen output.

Overall Contrast/Blacks Winner: HT3550... especially in HDR, dark scenes, and dark rooms
BUT... Living Rooms and High Ambient Light Contrast/Blacks Winner: ... It depends... but probably the TK800M

Brightness

The TK800M shares the same brightness as the TK800. When I fired up the TK800M, I was reminded why I had the TK800 up as my primary driver for 8 months. I thought to myself "Oh wow. I've missed this." The HT3550's brightness is very good. And there is a reason why a lot of $10k projectors only have 1500 lumens of brightness. More brightness does not mean a better image or better image quality. The image quality of the HT3550 is better in every appreciable way in a controlled environment, but the TK800M has a case to be considered for ambient light environments or large screens. It follows up and continues what the TK800 did very well, especially in Football Mode; a very very good BRIGHT image that doesn't compromise much on color accuracy.

With that said, the HDR brightness of the HT3550 walks all over the TK800M for film content. In-game adjustments, as previously mentioned, brings these levels more or less the same on 4K HDR gaming.

Overall Brightness Winner: TK800M
HDR Film Brightness Winner: HT3550
HDR Gaming Brightness Winner: Tie

Color

The TK800M is no skimp with color, especially considering the brightness. That white slice in the color wheel is not creating a washed out image and I've always been impressed with the balance that BenQ engineers struck with brightness and color on the TK800. The TK800M's Rec709 coverage increases from 92% on the TK800 to 96% on the TK800M. Considering the very color accurate HT2550 was 96% but 1000 lumens less, this seems like the TK800M is eating its cake and having it too.

But the HT3550's color is the DLP king right now. 100% Rec 709 and 95% DCI-P3. The HDR color and auto tone mapping just blow most everything else out of the water. Enough said.

Color Winner: HT3550

Placement

The TK800M's zoom shrunk from 1.2x on the TK800 to 1.1x, further limiting what was already worse than average placement flexibility on the TK800. I was able to mount the TK800M in the same spot as the TK800 with no issue. If you have the space for it and can get the TK800M mounted where it needs to be, then no harm no foul. The tradeoff with the decreased zoom is the new lens with much better focus and sharpness. I like the tradeoff and will take it all day. I just hoped to see the same improvement without sacrificing anything on a projector that is launching 1 year after the original.

The HT3550 has a 1.3x zoom and 10% vertical lens shift, so for most people the HT3550 is the better option for placement flexibility with the shorter throw, bigger zoom, and lens shift. However, this is slightly subjective for people with big theaters like mine where we want the projector mounted slightly behind our heads like the TK800/M can do. So I'm going to say in 9 cases out of 10, people will prefer the HT3550 but some may be ok with the TK800M's placement setup.

Placement Winner: HT3550

Gaming

I've mentioned this a few times already. The HT3550 and TK800M trade blows here, but overall the TK800M should prove the better gaming projector for most IF, and that's a big IF, the gamer has the space requirements for the longer throw of the TK800M. Most gaming oriented projectors are shorter throw meant to place on a coffee table and grab and play at a LAN in a pinch. The TK800M requires almost 11 feet of lens to screen room for just a 100" image. If that works for you, then the extra brightness and input lag improvement (albeit small) will benefit most gamers. However, the HT3550 is no slouch for casual gaming and the HDR-Pro is very good for an "Image Quality" focused setup. The input lag of the HT3550 will range between 50-63ms (per BenQ and Sage11x), the TK800M's will be the same as the TK800; 40-44ms. For hardcore games, remember image quality isn't everything. There is a reason why CS players still play on 1999 640x480 monitors and Smash tournaments are played on CRT televisions. Zero lag.

Gaming Winner: TK800M with the caveat of placement flexibility

-----

Well this ended up being longer than I intended and I still plan on doing a full standalone review of the TK800M. I will be putting this TK800M through its paces over the next month or so. I already know I'm going to miss the HT3550's HDR performance while I test. However, I welcome back the brightness of the TK series in my theater and being able to keep my rear theater lights on without much performance drop.

In conclusion, my first impression of this TK800M projector is a good one. It is improved in almost every way compared to the TK800 with the exception fo a smaller zoom. My opinion is that for dark theater aficionados who care about overall image quality, the HT3550 has more than the $200 worth of value in it than the $200 price difference between the TK800M and HT3550. However, if you have a huge screen (160"+), don't have the extra $200, have the placement requirements, watch in ambient light, or care about the 15-20ms improvement in input lag... then you should add this projector to your list of consideration.

When push comes to shove, as much I enjoy the brightness, sharpness, and slightly better lag of the TK800Ms so far, the HT3550 is the overall winner by a good margin owing to its phenomenal HDR image, black levels, and feature-set. However, the TK800M trades blows when it comes to input lag and a better high brightness image.
dreamer, mickey79, Teremei and 5 others like this.

"The Bunker" | Dedicated Theater Build Under Suspended Slab Garage
Testing: BenQ HT5550 | Epson 5050UB | 160" Dragonfly™ Fixed AT Screen
Denon X6300H | 9.4.4 (7.2.4 Discrete) | 9x Episode 900 Series LCR/Surrounds | 4x Episode 1700 Series ATMOS Heights | 4x Episode 12" Evo Subs
Sony X700 | Xbox One X | NVIDIA Shield TV
post #1670 of 4747 Old 03-14-2019, 01:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 804 Post(s)
Liked: 408
Thank you scootyroo. Great breakdown. The updated TK800 was the one thing I was waiting to hear about. And your take definitely makes me decision to go for the 3550.

Upstairs - Sony 75x940e: soundbar - Klipsch R-20B
Basement - BenQ HT3050: screen - Elite 125" motorized ATS: speakers - RF-7IIx2, RC-64II, RS-41IIx2, RS-42IIx2, AVR Denon x4000 -- subs PC-12NSD + RW12D
Bedroom - LG 65eg9600: soundbar - LG SH3K
post #1671 of 4747 Old 03-14-2019, 03:24 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyroo View Post
I posted in the TK800M channel but I: know there are several here who are eager for the comparison of the new TK800M. For clarity's sake, the TK800M is NOT the yet-to-be-named bright version of the HT3550. The TK800M is the slightly improved replacement model for last year's TK800.

First off - press release. Price is $1,299.

Last night I took delivery and spent approx 3-4 hours with the TK800M. I played Halo and Forza Horizon 4 on my Xbox One X in glorious 4K HDR. I watched 45 minutes of Avatar in 3D. I watched 30-45 minutes of Thor: Ragnarok and Avengers: Infinity War.

Here are my first impressions of the TK800M compared to the HT3550 and the TK800. Full disclosure: this is a bit of apples to oranges comparison since the TK800M doesn't belong to the same family of projectors as the HT3550. However, since people will undoubtedly be comparing these two in their buying decision, I'll oblige and humor the comparisons...

Full review to come later on.

What's new vs the TK800?

The TK800M is using the same chassis as the TK800. The main differences is a new lens for better sharpness and the new TI DMD chip which eliminates the gray border.

BenQ's post-launch firmware support of the TK800 was very good so the TK800M also benefits from what BenQ learned from the TK800 in that regard. Several improvements I noticed on the TK800M include better HDR tone mapping algorithms, better 3D support, and auto selecting HDR mode when detecting HDR content were all new to me compared to the TK800 unit I had in my theater for 8 months.

Focus and Sharpness

Focus was a mixed bag for me with the TK800. My pre-production unit had obvious focus uniformity issues, however those were fixed in the production unit I tested shortly thereafter.

Dialing in the focus on the TK800M was a pleasure last night. This is the sharpest and most uniformly focused 4K projector I've seen yet from BenQ. With my nose to the screen I could make out individual pixels in moving images.

The HT3550 I am testing is a pre-production unit and I am told the focus uniformity on that will improve in production. But as of today, the BenQ 4K focus and sharpness crown goes to this unit, the TK800M, that I am testing right now.

Winner: TK800M
Runner Up: HT3550

HDR

Tone mapping is marginally improved on the TK800M compared to the TK800. Soooo... I really liked the TK800. I like it because of what the extra brightness allowed it to do with my larger 160" screen. I enjoyed HDR on the TK800 more than the HT2550 simply because of the extra oomph the TK800 provided with its brightness. After I turned on HDR content I was reminded just how damn spoiled I have been with the HT3550's HDR image. This was interesting for me to experience because over the last week I have gotten 'content' with the HT3550. The HT3550's 'HDR-Pro' implementation has better brightness, contrast, and tone mapping compared to its baby brother's the TK800 and TK800M. However, the TK800M does hold its own in HDR. It's actually pretty good, especially in gaming. Each HDR game on the Xbox One X has its own HDR image adjustments within the game menu. I played both Forza Horizon 4 and Halo: MCC on both the HT3550 and TK800M last night in 4K HDR. They were both beautiful to play on but with the extra brightness of the TK800M, the slightly sharper image (lots of text in gaming), and the slightly lower input lag... I prefered the TK800M for GAMING only.

Overall HDR Winner: HT3550... by a landslide
BUT... Gaming HDR Winner: TK800M... by a hair.
A respectful showing, but 3rd in both: TK800

Contrast/Blacks

This one's kind of interesting. The dynamic iris in the HT3550 gives it a HUGE advantage in dark scene contrast and black levels, ESPECIALLY in HDR. The TK800M got rid of the gray border and to my eye, contrast has improved, but it still has a high grey point in dark or completely black screens. For example, the HT3550's letterboxes in a dark HDR scene like the first one with Thor in the cave actually look very close to black. The TK800M's are gray, along with a high gray point in other parts of the image. HOWEVER.... in regular bright scenes, the TK800M closes the gap considerably. The extra brightness is put to very good use and concerns of contrast don't exist in these types of scenes. Which brings me to my point... if you don't have a completely darkened viewing room, you will not be able to fully appreciate the very good contrast and black levels of the HT3550. That is why the TK800M is marketed as a "Living Room Entertainment" projector... because it does better than its siblings at cutting through ambient light with its high lumen output.

Overall Contrast/Blacks Winner: HT3550... especially in HDR, dark scenes, and dark rooms
BUT... Living Rooms and High Ambient Light Contrast/Blacks Winner: ... It depends... but probably the TK800M

Brightness

The TK800M shares the same brightness as the TK800. When I fired up the TK800M, I was reminded why I had the TK800 up as my primary driver for 8 months. I thought to myself "Oh wow. I've missed this." The HT3550's brightness is very good. And there is a reason why a lot of $10k projectors only have 1500 lumens of brightness. More brightness does not mean a better image or better image quality. The image quality of the HT3550 is better in every appreciable way in a controlled environment, but the TK800M has a case to be considered for ambient light environments or large screens. It follows up and continues what the TK800 did very well, especially in Football Mode; a very very good BRIGHT image that doesn't compromise much on color accuracy.

With that said, the HDR brightness of the HT3550 walks all over the TK800M for film content. In-game adjustments, as previously mentioned, brings these levels more or less the same on 4K HDR gaming.

Overall Brightness Winner: TK800M
HDR Film Brightness Winner: HT3550
HDR Gaming Brightness Winner: Tie

Color

The TK800M is no skimp with color, especially considering the brightness. That white slice in the color wheel is not creating a washed out image and I've always been impressed with the balance that BenQ engineers struck with brightness and color on the TK800. The TK800M's Rec709 coverage increases from 92% on the TK800 to 96% on the TK800M. Considering the very color accurate HT2550 was 96% but 1000 lumens less, this seems like the TK800M is eating its cake and having it too.

But the HT3550's color is the DLP king right now. 100% Rec 709 and 95% DCI-P3. The HDR color and auto tone mapping just blow most everything else out of the water. Enough said.

Color Winner: HT3550

Placement

The TK800M's zoom shrunk from 1.2x on the TK800 to 1.1x, further limiting what was already worse than average placement flexibility on the TK800. I was able to mount the TK800M in the same spot as the TK800 with no issue. If you have the space for it and can get the TK800M mounted where it needs to be, then no harm no foul. The tradeoff with the decreased zoom is the new lens with much better focus and sharpness. I like the tradeoff and will take it all day. I just hoped to see the same improvement without sacrificing anything on a projector that is launching 1 year after the original.

The HT3550 has a 1.3x zoom and 10% vertical lens shift, so for most people the HT3550 is the better option for placement flexibility with the shorter throw, bigger zoom, and lens shift. However, this is slightly subjective for people with big theaters like mine where we want the projector mounted slightly behind our heads like the TK800/M can do. So I'm going to say in 9 cases out of 10, people will prefer the HT3550 but some may be ok with the TK800M's placement setup.

Placement Winner: HT3550

Gaming

I've mentioned this a few times already. The HT3550 and TK800M trade blows here, but overall the TK800M should prove the better gaming projector for most IF, and that's a big IF, the gamer has the space requirements for the longer throw of the TK800M. Most gaming oriented projectors are shorter throw meant to place on a coffee table and grab and play at a LAN in a pinch. The TK800M requires almost 11 feet of lens to screen room for just a 100" image. If that works for you, then the extra brightness and input lag improvement (albeit small) will benefit most gamers. However, the HT3550 is no slouch for casual gaming and the HDR-Pro is very good for an "Image Quality" focused setup. The input lag of the HT3550 will range between 50-63ms (per BenQ and Sage11x), the TK800M's will be the same as the TK800; 40-44ms. For hardcore games, remember image quality isn't everything. There is a reason why CS players still play on 1999 640x480 monitors and Smash tournaments are played on CRT televisions. Zero lag.

Gaming Winner: TK800M with the caveat of placement flexibility

-----

Well this ended up being longer than I intended and I still plan on doing a full standalone review of the TK800M. I will be putting this TK800M through its paces over the next month or so. I already know I'm going to miss the HT3550's HDR performance while I test. However, I welcome back the brightness of the TK series in my theater and being able to keep my rear theater lights on without much performance drop.

In conclusion, my first impression of this TK800M projector is a good one. It is improved in almost every way compared to the TK800 with the exception fo a smaller zoom. My opinion is that for dark theater aficionados who care about overall image quality, the HT3550 has more than the $200 worth of value in it than the $200 price difference between the TK800M and HT3550. However, if you have a huge screen (160"+), don't have the extra $200, have the placement requirements, watch in ambient light, or care about the 15-20ms improvement in input lag... then you should add this projector to your list of consideration.

When push comes to shove, as much I enjoy the brightness, sharpness, and slightly better lag of the TK800Ms so far, the HT3550 is the overall winner by a good margin owing to its phenomenal HDR image, black levels, and feature-set. However, the TK800M trades blows when it comes to input lag and a better high brightness image.
the yet-to-be-named bright version of the HT3550.
do you know how many lumens it might be?
when they make it brighter, will that sacrifice the contrast level or something?
thank you
post #1672 of 4747 Old 03-14-2019, 03:30 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
@scottyroo - Thanks for sharing your initial thoughts on the TK800M. We play similar types of games and from the sounds of it, you seem fine with the slightly higher lag of the HT 3550. I'm curious if when playing something like Halo on the 3500 vs 800/800M, did you notice the 10-20 second lag difference? Asked another way, if you didn't know the lag specs of the projectors, would you have thought they were any different?
post #1673 of 4747 Old 03-14-2019, 04:27 PM

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 63
with all the issues, I am second guessing myself with my order which still shows "processing". I wonder if I should wait another month. I figured firmware updates are no issues but if there are potential physical issues that may show up in these "early" units, makes me pause. The other question I now have is when does the warranty actually start? I assume when it's shipped/received versus when it's ordered. I am glad Benq is sitting on my order but like someone said, I am surprised the ramp up to production isn't there yet? Anyway, I am sleeping on it tonight and deciding what I am doing, cancel my order or not.
post #1674 of 4747 Old 03-14-2019, 04:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by home4sale2 View Post
with all the issues, I am second guessing myself with my order which still shows "processing". I wonder if I should wait another month. I figured firmware updates are no issues but if there are potential physical issues that may show up in these "early" units, makes me pause. The other question I now have is when does the warranty actually start? I assume when it's shipped/received versus when it's ordered. I am glad Benq is sitting on my order but like someone said, I am surprised the ramp up to production isn't there yet? Anyway, I am sleeping on it tonight and deciding what I am doing, cancel my order or not.
I am still pondering this PJ, but I'm further from wanting it over my new HT2050a than I was when I first started reading the threads. After sage posts the comparison review with the HT2050a, I'll make my decision. If I decide to do it, I'll be waiting for a month or two. I would want things to settle. But I'm a little concerned that sage's comparison review won't hit what I would like to know to even help me make my decision, which is fine, as he can't hit everything for everyone. He's going to focus on 1080p vs 1080p. That's good, this is needed. But I want to know 4K vs 1080p on 2050a. I want to see pictures and information on how much better the 4K image looks on the HT3550 than the 1080p image on the 2050a...including motion handling, contrast, black levels, brightness of the HT2050a at 1080p vs the D3 HDR on the HT3550, etc.
marinereef likes this.
post #1675 of 4747 Old 03-14-2019, 04:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1696 Post(s)
Liked: 4921
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybradley View Post
I am still pondering this PJ, but I'm further from wanting it over my new HT2050a than I was when I first started reading the threads. After sage posts the comparison review with the HT2050a, I'll make my decision. If I decide to do it, I'll be waiting for a month or two. I would want things to settle. But I'm a little concerned that sage's comparison review won't hit what I would like to know to even help me make my decision, which is fine, as he can't hit everything for everyone. He's going to focus on 1080p vs 1080p. That's good, this is needed. But I want to know 4K vs 1080p on 2050a. I want to see pictures and information on how much better the 4K image looks on the HT3550 than the 1080p image on the 2050a...including motion handling, contrast, black levels, brightness of the HT2050a at 1080p vs the D3 HDR on the HT3550, etc.
I'll do a comparison when I get my ht3550 next week. I currently have a 2050. (Not 2050a though)
unretarded and marinereef like this.
post #1676 of 4747 Old 03-14-2019, 04:54 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by home4sale2 View Post
Same situation, and my thoughts exactly.
post #1677 of 4747 Old 03-14-2019, 05:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subacabra View Post
I'll do a comparison when I get my ht3550 next week. I currently have a 2050. (Not 2050a though)
That would be awesome. The more info on comparisons, the better.
subacabra likes this.
post #1678 of 4747 Old 03-14-2019, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cibs View Post
@scottyroo - Thanks for sharing your initial thoughts on the TK800M. We play similar types of games and from the sounds of it, you seem fine with the slightly higher lag of the HT 3550. I'm curious if when playing something like Halo on the 3500 vs 800/800M, did you notice the 10-20 second lag difference? Asked another way, if you didn't know the lag specs of the projectors, would you have thought they were any different?

Not really. But I do know... so maybe it’s placebo. Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Denon X6300H | 9.4.4 (7.2.4 Discrete) | 9x Episode 900 Series LCR/Surrounds | 4x Episode 1700 Series ATMOS Heights | 4x Episode 12" Evo Subs
post #1679 of 4747 Old 03-14-2019, 07:10 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
@scottyroo you said in another thread "Currently the TK line is a family of one projector, the TK800, but it a family that will be growing here in the first half of 2019. With 3D, the brighter the better with and with focus not solely on color accuracy, 3D is right up the TK alley."
Is this TK800M you talking about ? Or there will gonna be another TK model In this year from Benq ?

P.S.Sorry for my English. I never studied it at school :/
post #1680 of 4747 Old 03-14-2019, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogDR View Post
@scottyroo you said in another thread "Currently the TK line is a family of one projector, the TK800, but it a family that will be growing here in the first half of 2019. With 3D, the brighter the better with and with focus not solely on color accuracy, 3D is right up the TK alley."
Is this TK800M you talking about ? Or there will gonna be another TK model In this year from Benq ?
Yeah great question. The TK800M is the first TK launched this year. One could argue this isn’t the second in the TK line since it is a reincarnation of the TK800. There is speculation that the bright variant of the HT3550 will also be a TK but that has not been announced yet.

So based on my intent of the previous comment I made, yes, another bright home entertainment projector will launch from BenQ later this year.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page