BenQ W2700 / HT3550 Announcement and Owner’s Thread - Page 57 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2689Likes

post #1681 of 4725 Old 03-14-2019, 08:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 4
@scottyroo Any chance you could shoot a video showing gaming on the 3500? Maybe a first person shooter with the controller in frame to show lag between button presses and action? I know not scientific but anything helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1682 of 4725 Old 03-14-2019, 08:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 198 Post(s)
Quoted: 2751 Post(s)
Liked: 2736
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybradley View Post
That would be awesome. The more info on comparisons, the better.

I’ve posted some images over on my review thread.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
post #1683 of 4725 Old 03-14-2019, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 616 Post(s)
Liked: 818
My 27 minute doozy of a video review is up.

https://youtu.be/act0HacQ-HY

"The Bunker" | Dedicated Theater Build Under Suspended Slab Garage
Testing: BenQ HT5550 | Epson 5050UB | 160" Dragonfly™ Fixed AT Screen
Denon X6300H | 9.4.4 (7.2.4 Discrete) | 9x Episode 900 Series LCR/Surrounds | 4x Episode 1700 Series ATMOS Heights | 4x Episode 12" Evo Subs
Sony X700 | Xbox One X | NVIDIA Shield TV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1684 of 4725 Old 03-14-2019, 09:24 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 215
damn I want this projector so bad....... but I haven't even had my Optoma UHD50 for more than a couple months and I'm certainly past the return period now.

Something told me to wait just a few more weeks before buying it but that impulse won out and now at most the only thing I can do is probably sell it - ouch!

the price difference between the HT355O and the UHD50 is very negligible considering all the features it has going for it, that's probably what makes it a tough pill to swallow at this point
post #1685 of 4725 Old 03-14-2019, 10:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyroo View Post

Very cool, can’t wait for this to go on sale at Best Buy US

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #1686 of 4725 Old 03-15-2019, 12:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 1495 Post(s)
Liked: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
I did directly compare the HT3550 with the HT2550. With all due respect to the HT2550, a projector I LIKE, the HT3550 trounces it. There isn’t single thing I can think of where the HT3550 doesn’t have a clear and distinct advantage. It’s just in another league. Which is why I was so shocked by the price...

As far as the Ht2050A comparison. I’ve been spending time going back and forth with both. My comparison will focus on HD content because, as you point out, the HT2050A can’t do 4K. Plus, the HT3550 has such a clear advantage in picture quality when displaying 4K/HDR it almost wouldn’t be fair to the HT2050A. UHD is just superior to HD.

As far as lamp dimming vs iris, there’s a very simple explanation that I can think of but I’m not sure if it’s 100% correct: the iris is controlled by Dynamic Black which is a function of the TI chipset (which is why you see it on many DLP projectors of various brands). BenQ, to my knowledge, has never previously used dynamic black instead opting for their own, proprietary SmartEco lamp dimming algorithm.

Fine, fine, stick with your felt and cardboard !

Still, I should have been clearer when I asked about comparisons you've done. I do remember your general comparison to the HT2550, but I did not recall any specific mention of the lamp-dimming effectiveness and obtrusiveness of the HT2550/TK800 vs. the lamp dimming of the HT3550 vs the dynamic iris of the HT3550. Basically, for people like 3DBob and myself who find the obtrusiveness of the previous generation 4k makes lamp-dimming unusable, will we be any happier with the lamp-dimming on the HT3550 ? Will we be happier with the new dynamic iris vs the previous gen lamp-dimming ? Is either method on the HT3550 as smooth as the HT2050A ?

Kirk Ellis
BenQ TK800 VuTec 122" Screen, Harmon Kardon AVR 247
Psycoustic Mark III L&R Towers, Boston Center, Energy Take 5 Surrounds
post #1687 of 4725 Old 03-15-2019, 12:59 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hi everyone!

Just as I was ordering UHD51 (chose over HT2550) this new model appeared and wrecked havoc to my glorious plans to start new F1 season with a PJ.

So the quick question to gurus and (ex-)owners of UHD51 - can someone advise if HT3550 provides substantial and perceivable advantages compared to UHD51 to justify the 200-300Euro increase in costs and probably month or 2 of delay (I am in Europe)? (for a first-time owner)

Before HT3550 appeared I've investigated tonns of data, and as mentioned was considering between UHD51 and HT2550, so I have quite good understanding on what to expect and on some advantages\disadvantages between them, but I don't have enough understanding to make a conclusion about HT3550... any advise is appreciated.

Sorry for some hijacking of this thread.
CallingMrBenzo likes this.
post #1688 of 4725 Old 03-15-2019, 02:05 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Question regarding ECO mode.

How much brightness do you loose in ECO mode? And does it affect HDR image quality so it's better to run the projector in Normal mode?
post #1689 of 4725 Old 03-15-2019, 03:46 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamer View Post
Basically, for people like 3DBob and myself who find the obtrusiveness of the previous generation 4k makes lamp-dimming unusable, will we be any happier with the lamp-dimming on the HT3550 ? Will we be happier with the new dynamic iris vs the previous gen lamp-dimming ? Is either method on the HT3550 as smooth as the HT2050A ?
I had reported earlier on my unit the iris seems to creating an almost flickering effect sometimes, I've done more testing on the lamp dimming smarteco mode and it seems to have a similar effect at times. Either is very noticable during certain content. I really hope my unit is just missing an improvement to that behavior that will be fixed in the corrected unit they send next week. The best way to describe what I'm seeing is probably in my crude drawing below, instead of a smooth transition between brightness levels, it makes these very quick staggered cuts, I think if it were a smooth line it wouldn't be nearly as noticable. I hope that makes sense.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
DunMunro likes this.
post #1690 of 4725 Old 03-15-2019, 04:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:

Very nice quality video review and presentation. That kind of real world analysis means so much more to me than a spec heavy dissertation that some tech guys offer. While it might seem minor to some I for one was also impressed by the almost non existent light leakage. That always bothered me about my W1070 having a white tone ceiling in my viewing room. (No, I can’t paint the ceiling black due to WAF) It looks like my 3050 is headed to the “For Sale” section, shortly.
scottyroo likes this.
post #1691 of 4725 Old 03-15-2019, 04:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAllein View Post
Hi everyone!

Just as I was ordering UHD51 (chose over HT2550) this new model appeared and wrecked havoc to my glorious plans to start new F1 season with a PJ.

Also sorry to digress, but if you’re a F1 fan be sure to check out the new series on Netflix “Formula 1: Drive to Survive” some spectacular images that looked great on my 4K tv. Planning to rewatch the entire series when I get the 3550 up and running. And now back to the topic at hand...
post #1692 of 4725 Old 03-15-2019, 07:25 AM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samfield View Post
Also sorry to digress, but if you’re a F1 fan be sure to check out the new series on Netflix “Formula 1: Drive to Survive” some spectacular images that looked great on my 4K tv. Planning to rewatch the entire series when I get the 3550 up and running. And now back to the topic at hand...
As a big F1 fan, I want to watch that badly. But I recently moved and I have not setup my audio yet so avoiding watching it properly. Now that with plans to put up a projector, would have to wait till I set all equipment up.
post #1693 of 4725 Old 03-15-2019, 08:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamer View Post
Fine, fine, stick with your felt and cardboard !

Still, I should have been clearer when I asked about comparisons you've done. I do remember your general comparison to the HT2550, but I did not recall any specific mention of the lamp-dimming effectiveness and obtrusiveness of the HT2550/TK800 vs. the lamp dimming of the HT3550 vs the dynamic iris of the HT3550. Basically, for people like 3DBob and myself who find the obtrusiveness of the previous generation 4k makes lamp-dimming unusable, will we be any happier with the lamp-dimming on the HT3550 ? Will we be happier with the new dynamic iris vs the previous gen lamp-dimming ? Is either method on the HT3550 as smooth as the HT2050A ?

That’s tough for me to gauge. As you know, I notice the lamp dimming but aren’t as bothered by it. I see the lamp dimming on the Ht3550. In my opinion it is less noticeable than it is on the HT2550/TK800. It is not as innocuous as it is on the HT2050A/HT3050. In fact, none of BenQ’s other projectors (1080p included) have managed that level of ‘stealth’ dimming. My guess is the high native contrast of the larger DMD simply requires less intervention to get good contrast performance. That’s either a good thing (for those that don’t like noticeable active dimming) or a bad thing (for folks like me who would have liked to have seen even better contrast performance from 1080p DLP).
DunMunro likes this.

Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

post #1694 of 4725 Old 03-15-2019, 09:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked: 219
Chris at Majestechs just did a short review of the HT3550 on his youtube channel. He does tout the contrast as being nice, but his knock on it is the sharpness. He said if you are more concerned with contrast and color over a sharp 4K picture, it's for you. He also prefers Rec709 as he's not a fan of the Filter with the Wide Color. He wasn't too impressed with the brightness either.
scottyroo likes this.
post #1695 of 4725 Old 03-15-2019, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Chris at Majestechs just did a short review of the HT3550 on his youtube channel. He does tout the contrast as being nice, but his knock on it is the sharpness. He said if you are more concerned with contrast and color over a sharp 4K picture, it's for you. He also prefers Rec709 as he's not a fan of the Filter with the Wide Color. He wasn't too impressed with the brightness either.
After reading your post of negatives I was expecting to watch a critical review of the HT3550... Which surprised me because I trust Chris to do really good objective reviews. The review was overwhelmingly positive. In his quest to be fairly objective, he admitted he had to dig to find something to be nitpicky about.

He also said "after watching the HT3550 for a few minutes I guarantee you'll be impressed with the overall image of this thing. Overall I think the HT3550 is a game changer considering its features and the fact that BenQ was able to fit all of this into a retail price of $1,500 is nothing short of amazing"

Hearing this from Chris is somewhat validating for me since every review that I've seen (including my own) share the exact same sentiment.

In my review I also say one of my only issues is the focus uniformity (sharpness). I also noticed how much sharper the new TK800M is in comparison ... but the sample units that Chris and I had were pre-production. I was told the focus uniformity and sharpness is supposed to improve in production.

Denon X6300H | 9.4.4 (7.2.4 Discrete) | 9x Episode 900 Series LCR/Surrounds | 4x Episode 1700 Series ATMOS Heights | 4x Episode 12" Evo Subs
post #1696 of 4725 Old 03-15-2019, 12:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
After reading your post of negatives I was expecting to watch a critical review of the HT3550... Which surprised me because I trust Chris to do really good objective reviews. The review was overwhelmingly positive. In his quest to be fairly objective, he admitted he had to dig to find something to be nitpicky about.

He also said "after watching the HT3550 for a few minutes I guarantee you'll be impressed with the overall image of this thing. Overall I think the HT3550 is a game changer considering its features and the fact that BenQ was able to fit all of this into a retail price of $1,500 is nothing short of amazing"

Hearing this from Chris is somewhat validating for me since every review that I've seen (including my own) share the exact same sentiment.

In my review I also say one of my only issues is the focus uniformity (sharpness). I also noticed how much sharper the new TK800M is in comparison ... but the sample units that Chris and I had were pre-production. I was told the focus uniformity and sharpness is supposed to improve in production.
My post was quite clear that Chris talked up the Contrast. But he very well did knock the Sharpness which I said in my post. If you didn't hear him say that, you may want to re-watch. He said if you are looking for a 4K HDR PJ with good contrast and color, this would be it. If you were concerend more about sharpness, it may not be. He also said he did not like the Filter. Chris' reviews are very high level, so he doesn't explain his problem with the Sharpness, other than it's not as Sharp as others he's seen.
scottyroo likes this.
post #1697 of 4725 Old 03-15-2019, 12:27 PM

I still have my doubts on my unit about the iris and the lamp dimming behavior being very noticable that I'm hoping is corrected in my second unit, but one thing I can't knock is the sharpness or level of detail vs normal 1080P. I took these two pictures just now, top is normal operating mode, bottom is with silence mode engaged which disables the wobulation effectively turning it into a 1080p projector. The difference in the level of detail in the text at the top is some voodoo level stuff.

post #1698 of 4725 Old 03-15-2019, 12:31 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone know why Best Buy US isn’t carrying it, but Canada is?

post #1699 of 4725 Old 03-15-2019, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonH View Post
I still have my doubts on my unit about the iris and the lamp dimming behavior being very noticable that I'm hoping is corrected in my second unit, but one thing I can't knock is the sharpness or level of detail vs normal 1080P. I took these two pictures just now, top is normal operating mode, bottom is with silence mode engaged which disables the wobulation effectively turning it into a 1080p projector. The difference in the level of detail in the text at the top is some voodoo level stuff.

I was actually gonna ask you this, Brandon. How is focus uniformity on the extreme edges of your production unit?

post #1700 of 4725 Old 03-15-2019, 12:43 PM

Quote:
I was actually gonna ask you this, Brandon. How is focus uniformity on the extreme edges of your production unit?
Focus seems fine across the screen, that pic was taken near the far right hand edge of the screen. I found it best to turn on silence mode to make sure the focus is tight and creates defined individual pixels then set it back to normal. I do see a little more chromatic aberation than I'd like up close but from my seat I don't see any.

sage11x and scottyroo like this.
post #1701 of 4725 Old 03-15-2019, 01:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Focus seems fine across the screen, that pic was taken near the far right hand edge of the screen. I found it best to turn on silence mode to make sure the focus is tight and creates defined individual pixels then set it back to normal. I do see a little more chromatic aberation than I'd like up close but from my seat I don't see any.

I was just about suggest this as a “pro tip”
In my HT2050A comparison.

Good work.

post #1702 of 4725 Old 03-15-2019, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Love that idea. I'm doing that tonight. Gosh, I love this forum.

post #1703 of 4725 Old 03-15-2019, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
My post was quite clear that Chris talked up the Contrast. But he very well did knock the Sharpness which I said in my post. If you didn't hear him say that, you may want to re-watch. He said if you are looking for a 4K HDR PJ with good contrast and color, this would be it. If you were concerend more about sharpness, it may not be. He also said he did not like the Filter. Chris' reviews are very high level, so he doesn't explain his problem with the Sharpness, other than it's not as Sharp as others he's seen.
That's fair. Chris has a big screen an uses ambient lighting as well. I can see why he wouldn't use the filter much. I like the color the filter provides, but you really have to have a 120" or less screen in a complete dark room to actually be ok leaving in WCG mode most of the time. I see where Chris is coming from on that point.

post #1704 of 4725 Old 03-15-2019, 01:23 PM

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Called BenQ. Warranty starts from ship date, 3 years. In this case he said 3/21 which I guess means that’s when they’ll call ship. I was also told that technicians had found a problem on color filter and therefore the recall. 30 days if I don’t like it, no questions asked.

furlonium likes this.
post #1705 of 4725 Old 03-15-2019, 01:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That's fair. Chris has a big screen an uses ambient lighting as well. I can see why he wouldn't use the filter much. I like the color the filter provides, but you really have to have a 120" or less screen in a complete dark room to actually be ok leaving in WCG mode most of the time. I see where Chris is coming from on that point.
I have subscribed to Chris for a while and really enjoy his reviews. But, I take them in context since they are very brief and are always high level. His reviews are more to call attention to a nice product, so that you can then proceed to more research if you think it's what you want.....then come here for folks like you and sage who painstakingly go through every option, take notes, pictures, videos, etc. By the way, nice video on youtube. I watched that as soon as you posted, but forgot to mention it. What's crazy in your video, is at times, it appears the PJ is really tall, but must be the shadowing around your black ceiling. Keeps freaking me out as it looks like a tall box at times
scottyroo likes this.
post #1706 of 4725 Old 03-16-2019, 06:28 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Any news when the new batch of these would be available to buy?
post #1707 of 4725 Old 03-16-2019, 08:56 PM

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by xp0z3d View Post
Any news when the new batch of these would be available to buy?

I got the sense 1st batch is Mar 21st barring any Enginering delays.

post #1708 of 4725 Old 03-17-2019, 09:33 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I received my HT3550 but I’m running into a problem. When I turn it on, it runs for a couple minutes with no lamp on then shuts off. Any ideas how to fix this? I tried 2 different hdmi cords and 2 different sources. Thanks
post #1709 of 4725 Old 03-17-2019, 09:40 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruckdogg7 View Post
I received my HT3550 but I’m running into a problem. When I turn it on, it runs for a couple minutes with no lamp on then shuts off. Any ideas how to fix this? I tried 2 different hdmi cords and 2 different sources. Thanks
Check the connection for the lap perhaps? I haven't really heard of leeds coming lose on projectors when shipped but I suppose it could happen. Hope you get it up and running.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk
post #1710 of 4725 Old 03-17-2019, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruckdogg7 View Post

Does it do this without a source plugged in? Does the BenQ splash screen come up? Can you go into menus? Does the cooldown fan stay on after power down?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page