BenQ W2700 / HT3550 Announcement and Owner’s Thread - Page 72 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2708Likes

post #2131 of 4746 Old 04-02-2019, 08:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 198 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked: 2751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel_M6 View Post
Thanks for commenting on the difference between this and the UHD50/51. I've been monitoring this thread hoping for someone to compare the two. Looks like I need to stick with my UHD51A.

Unless you need Alexa I would go the other way. And that’s not meant as indictment of the Optoma but the BenQ is a true generational step beyond those first generation 4K DLPs. No light border, better contrast, deeper blacks, true wide color gamut support, less actuator noise, a choice of dynamic iris or lamp dimming, and the BenQ comes equipped with a factory calibration. Oh— and it’s cheaper to boot. IMO, this is the 4K projector to get in this price range.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2132 of 4746 Old 04-02-2019, 08:51 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Take this how you like.
The uhd50 was taken with a note 8 & the ht3550 was from a Galaxy s10.
Also white screen on the uhd50 & grey screen on the ht3550 not a fair comparison .

Like everyone keeps saying yes its much sharper on the uhd50/51.
but too me the colors the flesh tones , natural colors looks way better on the ht3550.
but again the uhd50/51 gave it a pop on the colors i tried different settings.
i'm no expert so i'm not getting into this.
To me the uhd50 just had too much red on skin tones i'm sure that could of been calibrated" again no expert here ".
the ht3550 skin tones looks awesome , but the missing details just annoys me & the fan noise even on ECO,
The fan loves to ramp up every once in awhile , a problem to me but probably not to other .
I do have the projector 3 ft on top of me .
The uhd50 i did have to return it like 2-3 times till i got one with no buzz, it was really quiet .
This is also on netflix with hdr.

Also take this as you like this was taken a few month apart different phones /screen .
Not sure why the color looks so red online but downloaded the picture doesn't look like that.

Top uhd50 bottom ht3550

Won't be going back to the uhd50/51, because of buzz noise/the light border around the screen. I'll probably go with uhd60/65/epson 4010/5040
Not trying to tell people not to get the ht3550 , to me i guess it all depends on what you like, Black level contrast & color accuracy ht3550.
Sharpness details, that color pop not sure what else to call it , uhd50/51.
Daniel_M6 likes this.

Last edited by Willy212; 04-02-2019 at 09:00 AM.
post #2133 of 4746 Old 04-02-2019, 08:55 AM

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Finally got my delayed shipment email from Amazon. Ordered Feb 25th, now saying it will arrive between April 29 and May 24 (same as the product page). Price still hasn't been adjusted either.

7.2.4 BenQ/Marantz/HTD/Micca/SVS/Dayton
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2134 of 4746 Old 04-02-2019, 09:47 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I just spoke with Benq, HT3550 will be available again between the end of April and beginning of May. I have been waiting so long that I am growing impatient. Mostly because I had plan to setup my loft as HT but without a projector I am not able to use that space at all. And I been holding on to watch a lot of Movies because of that.

As of now thinking to get a TK800M instead. What do you guys think? I do have some ambient light and have never owned a projector so I am wondering if TK800M would be good enough for my space.
post #2135 of 4746 Old 04-02-2019, 09:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

BenQ W2700 / HT3550 Announcement and Owner’s Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy212 View Post
Take this how you like.

Also white screen on the uhd50 & grey screen on the ht3550 not a fair comparison .

but too me the colors the flesh tones , natural colors looks way better on the ht3550.

To me the uhd50 just had too much red on skin tones i'm sure that could of been calibrated" again no expert here ".

the ht3550 skin tones looks awesome , but the missing details just annoys me & the fan noise even on ECO,

The fan loves to ramp up every once in awhile , a problem to me but probably not to other .

The uhd50 i did have to return it like 2-3 times till i got one with no buzz, it was really quiet .

Also take this as you like this was taken a few month apart different phones /screen .

Not sure why the color looks so red online but downloaded the picture doesn't look like that.

Top uhd50 bottom ht3550

Won't be going back to the uhd50/51, because of buzz noise/the light border around the screen. I'll probably go with uhd60/65/epson 4010/5040

Not trying to tell people not to get the ht3550 , to me i guess it all depends on what you like, Black level contrast & color accuracy ht3550.

Sharpness details, that color pop not sure what else to call it , uhd50/51.

Looking at that first shot... it looks like you should follow Scott’s advice. Put that HT3550 in vivid and push the color enhancer and flesh tone settings up higher.

There is nothing wrong with wanting an over saturated image. After all, I CONTINUE to see Ghostbusters 2016 used as reference material in display reviews by reviewers who should know better— That movie has some of the most horrendous color grading of any movie
I’ve seen released in the last 2 decades. BenQ ships the HT3550 to be at it’s most accurate out of the box because it’s easier to start with an accurate image and then make it inaccurate rather than starting with an inaccurate image and trying to make it accurate.

Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

post #2136 of 4746 Old 04-02-2019, 09:54 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks much for your comment, Sage11x. I do appreciate it.. I may have to sell my UHD51a then Is it still worth the upgrade knowing I'd likely lose $400-$600 off the $1700 I paid last year for the UHD51a? The biggest initial selling point for me was it appears I may be able to max out my 100" screen with the HT3550 from 8'2" away. My UHD51a gives me roughly 96" coverage but no more.. 8' 2" is the maximum throw I have for my set up.

Will I be able to shelf mount this as I do my UHD51a? I have it roughly 4ft off the ground and would be great if I didn't have to adjust the height any.

Thanks again!
post #2137 of 4746 Old 04-02-2019, 10:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy212 View Post
Take this how you like.

This concerns "Me". I'm looking forward to Sage's comparison review with the HT2050a (again, no hurry on that sage as if I do upgrade, it won't be for a month or two) and the FAn noise is one I want to know the difference. Prior to purchasing the HT2050a, I purchased the Viewsonic 7827. It's motion wasn't as smooth as the HT2050a, but only on overhead scenes when the camera was scanning. I could have lived with that for the much cheaper price tag. However, what I couldn't live with was the Fan noise. It was way too loud for me, but it was more than just a normal fan noise. I heard a clunkiness to two units I tried before moving to the HT2050a. I have no issue with the HT2050a fan in Eco Mode as that's where I keep it. I know fan noises are all relative, but if it's a lot louder than the HT2050a, that may be a deal breaker to me. Especially thinking I may need to run it in Normal Mode to get the extra bump in brightness to take advantage of the WCG with the filter. If it's not much louder than the HT2050a, I'll be fine. More so, if it doesn't have any clunkiness or other high pitched squeals, I should be good with it.
post #2138 of 4746 Old 04-02-2019, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaded21 View Post
Finally got my delayed shipment email from Amazon. Ordered Feb 25th, now saying it will arrive between April 29 and May 24 (same as the product page). Price still hasn't been adjusted either.
I placed this order back in Feb when the price on Amazon was still showing $19xx. After chatting and calling Amazon still refused to fix the price, even though it hasn't even shipped yet. The rep on the phone actually told me it was too far along in the order process to cancel. I explained it isn't supposed to ship for a month and I have the option to cancel from my order page. He actually said I should refuse delivery and re-order it. I said I don't want to lose my place in line but he didn't even seem to understand. Ridiculous they would rather eat the cost of shipping it both ways and piss off a long time customer then just change a number on a screen.

So I was forced to cancel it and re-order. I would have went somewhere else but I need to use my Amazon card for this purchase. Hopefully when these are ready to go out there are enough in the first batch that I still get mine.

/rant

Last edited by Spaded21; 04-02-2019 at 10:35 AM.
post #2139 of 4746 Old 04-02-2019, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 616 Post(s)
Liked: 819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samfield View Post
Sage/Scotty, can anyone confirm if this is a second bad batch of units with the 85% color accuracy deficiency, or a reference to the initial shipment? Fortunately (so far) it appears that Subacabra's 3550 meets design specs.
This was in reference to the initial first batch that BenQ called back. I believe BrandonH and a select 2-3 others are the only ones to have had actually received the non-calibrated first batch. They made Subacabra was the 1st to receive the the final calibrated production unit. Every unit shipping should be good to go

"The Bunker" | Dedicated Theater Build Under Suspended Slab Garage
Testing: BenQ HT5550 | Epson 5050UB | 160" Dragonfly™ Fixed AT Screen
Denon X6300H | 9.4.4 (7.2.4 Discrete) | 9x Episode 900 Series LCR/Surrounds | 4x Episode 1700 Series ATMOS Heights | 4x Episode 12" Evo Subs
Sony X700 | Xbox One X | NVIDIA Shield TV
post #2140 of 4746 Old 04-02-2019, 10:41 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybradley View Post
This concerns "Me". I'm looking forward to Sage's comparison review with the HT2050a (again, no hurry on that sage as if I do upgrade, it won't be for a month or two) and the FAn noise is one I want to know the difference. Prior to purchasing the HT2050a, I purchased the Viewsonic 7827. It's motion wasn't as smooth as the HT2050a, but only on overhead scenes when the camera was scanning. I could have lived with that for the much cheaper price tag. However, what I couldn't live with was the Fan noise. It was way too loud for me, but it was more than just a normal fan noise. I heard a clunkiness to two units I tried before moving to the HT2050a. I have no issue with the HT2050a fan in Eco Mode as that's where I keep it. I know fan noises are all relative, but if it's a lot louder than the HT2050a, that may be a deal breaker to me. Especially thinking I may need to run it in Normal Mode to get the extra bump in brightness to take advantage of the WCG with the filter. If it's not much louder than the HT2050a, I'll be fine. More so, if it doesn't have any clunkiness or other high pitched squeals, I should be good with it.
I also had the ht2050a sold it to a friend, the fan db is around the same in eco, the ht2050a didn't bother me on eco.
but the ht3550 sure it has around the same noise level but not all the time it ramps up and down it annoys me .
Not sure if this has to do with cooling.

The thing with me is i watch my series/movies at night with low volume, People sleeping & it sucks to hear the fan.
If you can up the volume in your room i don't see a problem with it .

I'm in Brooklyn NY So you would think that a bit of noise wouldn't bother me . Its 24/7 fire trucks , police siren,etc etc.

Last edited by Willy212; 04-02-2019 at 10:44 AM.
post #2141 of 4746 Old 04-02-2019, 11:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I placed this order back in Feb when the price on Amazon was still showing $19xx. After chatting and calling Amazon still refused to fix the price, even though it hasn't even shipped yet. The rep on the phone actually told me it was too far along in the order process to cancel. I explained it isn't supposed to ship for a month and I have the option to cancel from my order page. He actually said I should refuse delivery and re-order it. I said I don't want to lose my place in line but he didn't even seem to understand. Ridiculous they would rather eat the cost of shipping it both ways and piss off a long time customer then just change a number on a screen.

So I was forced to cancel it and re-order. I would have went somewhere else but I need to use my Amazon card for this purchase. Hopefully when these are ready to go out there are enough in the first batch that I still get mine.

/rant
I've had a few mishaps with Amazon and I immediately got in contact with them. I would explain that I've been an Amazon Prime member for years, yadda yadda and without asking, they would give me money off or even free if it was an item not worth much. Most of the issues (most) were not the fault of Amazon, but our local USPS Carrier and I've called Amazon over and over about it, but they still ship things USPS here. It happened with me when I ordered the Silver Ticket Screen. The first one sent, the screen material was bigger than 120" or just really stretched out as there was no tautness at all to the screen. I sent it back, which was a pain due to the size, and ordered a second. The second one was much much better, but still had minimal stretch to it. I had some really bad wrinkles in one corner. I was able to add some material between the hole and tab to fix it. The reason I called Amazon is that for two orders, they shipped with USPS. Both times, I was scheduled for delivery and it didn't show up. Duh.....that screen can't fit in my mail carrier's tiny vehicle. What did Amazon do? Sent me an email that it couldn't be delivered as the carrier didn't have access to my front door. Both times. Hilarious. I had to drive out to my local USPS site (which is about 30 minutes round trip) and pick it up...both times. I complained about not having the option to choose UPS on items that I KNEW my mail carrier wouldn't bring to my house. After all said and done, they gave me a massive discount on my Screen for all the trouble and I ended up getting a 120" silver ticket screen for around $140.

My be worth your time to call and ask to speak to a manager over your dealings with their customer service rep. Usually, they are super. There have also been times when I didn't get what I ordered, called Amazon and they refunded my money. Told me if it showed up, it was mine. Had a $40 item not show up. Called USPS and they had no idea. A Week later, my mail carrier comes to my house and drops off my package she found shoved underneath one of her seats in her vehicle one weekend she was cleaning it.
post #2142 of 4746 Old 04-02-2019, 11:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Received mine from BenQ direct this morning. Also "received" a nice stomach virus last night. Laying on the couch staring a hole through that box.
sage11x and Daniel_M6 like this.
post #2143 of 4746 Old 04-02-2019, 12:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy4theherd View Post
Received mine from BenQ direct this morning. Also "received" a nice stomach virus last night. Laying on the couch staring a hole through that box.

Ugh. I can relate. Had been fighting a cold, started feeling better, flew to New York and caught it all over again. Take care of yourself— the projector will still be there!

post #2144 of 4746 Old 04-02-2019, 12:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks much for your comment, Sage11x. I do appreciate it.. I may have to sell my UHD51a then Is it still worth the upgrade knowing I'd likely lose $400-$600 off the $1700 I paid last year for the UHD51a? The biggest initial selling point for me was it appears I may be able to max out my 100" screen with the HT3550 from 8'2" away. My UHD51a gives me roughly 96" coverage but no more.. 8' 2" is the maximum throw I have for my set up.

Will I be able to shelf mount this as I do my UHD51a? I have it roughly 4ft off the ground and would be great if I didn't have to adjust the height any.

Thanks again!

Oh man— I think the Ht3550 is a worthy upgrade but I’m not sure if I could recommend taking such a big loss on the UHD51A. Especially if you just bought it. You might be better off saving your money for a larger upgrade later on.

The HT3550 will have a pretty similar throw and offset to the UHd51A. And like the Optoma it cannot be shelf mounted. To get a shelf mounted projector you’d need to look at a larger, more expensive model like the Epson 4010 or BenQ HT5550.

post #2145 of 4746 Old 04-02-2019, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
Oh man— I think the Ht3550 is a worthy upgrade but I’m not sure if I could recommend taking such a big loss on the UHD51A. Especially if you just bought it. You might be better off saving your money for a larger upgrade later on.

The HT3550 will have a pretty similar throw and offset to the UHd51A. And like the Optoma it cannot be shelf mounted. To get a shelf mounted projector you’d need to look at a larger, more expensive model like the Epson 4010 or BenQ HT5550.
Or lay it on its back on these rubber feet like I used to do with my W1070 for a time

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt...9128/203661031

Denon X6300H | 9.4.4 (7.2.4 Discrete) | 9x Episode 900 Series LCR/Surrounds | 4x Episode 1700 Series ATMOS Heights | 4x Episode 12" Evo Subs
post #2146 of 4746 Old 04-02-2019, 01:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 3792 Post(s)
Liked: 3007
@Willy212 , from the images you posted in appears that the Optoma is pushing blue whereas the BenQ is closer to Rec 709. As others have said you seem to have a personal preference for an image with less natural and realistic colors. Nothing wrong with that as we should all go for what we like best. But for anyone who prefers more natural and realistic colors the BenQ wins.
sage11x likes this.
post #2147 of 4746 Old 04-02-2019, 01:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1695 Post(s)
Liked: 4920
Is there any particular movie/show/scene etc that anyone wants me to check out?
If I have it, I'd be glad to.
yadfgp and jimchao like this.
post #2148 of 4746 Old 04-02-2019, 02:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subacabra View Post
if you have the 4K version of Infinity War, when Thanos and his crew are on the Asgardian ship at the very beginning, and the camera first shows Thanos, I'd love to see how that looks. Or any other scene in that movie as I thought that movie looked stunning even at 1080p.

If you have Mission Impossible Fallout 4K. During one of the last parts of the movie, when Benji was tied up in the cabin and Ilsa was fighting Solomon, it's a darker scene with a lot of grain. I didn't think it looked great with 1080p. I then through in the 4K disc on a Sony X700, turned HDR off and let it down convert and it was unwatchable due to the hightened grain. Wondering what it looks like in 4K on the HT3550.
post #2149 of 4746 Old 04-02-2019, 02:20 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:

Hi Sage, Thanks again. I do have my UHD51a shelf mounted though (OmniMount OWS22 Single Shelf AV Wall Mount.) It's roughly 4' off the ground against my back wall. From the photos of the HT3550 I see an adjustable vertical dial. Isn't that specifically used for shelf/table mounts?

Will the upcoming BenQ HT5550 have the same throw as the 3550?
post #2150 of 4746 Old 04-02-2019, 02:23 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Do you have Die Hard in 4k? I'd love to see this.....

dbpaddler likes this.
post #2151 of 4746 Old 04-02-2019, 02:32 PM

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:

Do you have an apple tv 4k? If yes I would like some specific screen saver screen shots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #2152 of 4746 Old 04-02-2019, 02:34 PM

Quote:
If you have it, Blade Runner 2049 in 4K. Chapter 11 when they are Deckard's place and everything is tinted red/orange. I felt my HT2550 really struggled with this scene.

post #2153 of 4746 Old 04-02-2019, 02:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybradley View Post
if you have the 4K version of Infinity War, when Thanos and his crew are on the Asgardian ship at the very beginning, and the camera first shows Thanos, I'd love to see how that looks. Or any other scene in that movie as I thought that movie looked stunning even at 1080p.

If you have Mission Impossible Fallout 4K. During one of the last parts of the movie, when Benji was tied up in the cabin and Ilsa was fighting Solomon, it's a darker scene with a lot of grain. I didn't think it looked great with 1080p. I then through in the 4K disc on a Sony X700, turned HDR off and let it down convert and it was unwatchable due to the hightened grain. Wondering what it looks like in 4K on the HT3550.
Got both, will do!
post #2154 of 4746 Old 04-02-2019, 02:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

No Die Hard, no Apple tv 4k, sure thing on BR2049. I actually watched that scene and it looked great.
post #2155 of 4746 Old 04-02-2019, 02:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
If you have it, Blade Runner 2049 in 4K. Chapter 11 when they are Deckard's place and everything is tinted red/orange. I felt my HT2550 really struggled with this scene.

I actually used this scene as a reference in my review...
subacabra likes this.

post #2156 of 4746 Old 04-02-2019, 02:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hi Sage, Thanks again. I do have my UHD51a shelf mounted though (OmniMount OWS22 Single Shelf AV Wall Mount.) It's roughly 4' off the ground against my back wall. From the photos of the HT3550 I see an adjustable vertical dial. Isn't that specifically used for shelf/table mounts?

Will the upcoming BenQ HT5550 have the same throw as the 3550?

Yes and the lens shift is roughly the same as the Optoma UHD51A. When you said shelf mounted I had assumed you meant a shelf high up on the wall behind the seating.

The HT5550 will have substantially more zoom range and lens shift— both horizontal and vertical.
Daniel_M6 likes this.

post #2157 of 4746 Old 04-02-2019, 02:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
@Willy212 , from the images you posted in appears that the Optoma is pushing blue whereas the BenQ is closer to Rec 709. As others have said you seem to have a personal preference for an image with less natural and realistic colors. Nothing wrong with that as we should all go for what we like best. But for anyone who prefers more natural and realistic colors the BenQ wins.
After looking at the pictures, which I know can be dangerous, the HT3550 pictures looked 10x better. Looked natural
post #2158 of 4746 Old 04-02-2019, 03:19 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Yes and the lens shift is roughly the same as the Optoma UHD51A. When you said shelf mounted I had assumed you meant a shelf high up on the wall behind the seating.

The HT5550 will have substantially more zoom range and lens shift— both horizontal and vertical.
I thought the 3550 had a shorter throw than 5550. 2ft difference for throwing a 120" screen (9'10" vs 11'10").

It doesn't seem like any "better" projector will do a 120" screen in less than 11'.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk
post #2159 of 4746 Old 04-02-2019, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbpaddler View Post
I thought the 3550 had a shorter throw than 5550. 2ft difference for throwing a 120" screen (9'10" vs 11'10").

It doesn't seem like any "better" projector will do a 120" screen in less than 11'.

Emphasis on 'range' for the HT5550. The HT3550 can still get a shorter throw... The HT5550 starts at just a little further back but can project a smaller image from much further back.
sage11x likes this.

post #2160 of 4746 Old 04-02-2019, 03:53 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyroo View Post
Emphasis on 'range' for the HT5550. The HT3550 can still get a shorter throw... The HT5550 starts at just a little further back but can project a smaller image from much further back.
Yes. Mentioned the extended range in the 5550 thread. But on the short side, that little further is quite significant at 2ft. It's like mfg's just assume that people with smaller rooms don't want a premium product. And as I'm finding out with the 2050a, it's like a whiney 2 stroke compared to my v12 jvc from a noise factor.

I already know I will never watch A Quiet Place now.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page