BenQ W2700 / HT3550 Announcement and Owner’s Thread - Page 82 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3123Likes

post #2431 of 5888 Old 04-10-2019, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 617 Post(s)
Liked: 826
Quote:
Originally Posted by thadius65 View Post
Never mind. I am a bit slow.... All good and up and running!

Question: is there a consolidated recommended out of box settings? Lots of pages in a few threads. I am ready to start final adjustments. Dark, no light room, 121" screen 1:1. Movies and TV, no gaming.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

My preferred SDR setting is Cinema Mode. Brilliant Color On. Iris On. Lamp normal. Sharpness 8. I usually have color enhancer at 5 or 6. Not a ton adjustments. My unit put a very good picture up out of the box.

HDR content my preferred setting is HDR Brightness +1 (160” screen) and make sure color enhancer is turned off. Iris on. Lamp normal. Wide color mode off (160” screen).

Sports and non critical viewing - take the SDR settings above and change gamma from 2.4 default to BenQ. That pops the image just a bit without sacrificing too much grayscale color accuracy.

You can also play with vivid mode a bit but I found the colors a bit saturated for my liking. Some may like that though. I fee I can get the color pop I want with BenQ gamma setting, brilliant Color, and 4K color enhancer on the cinema mode.

"The Bunker" | Dedicated Theater Build Under Suspended Slab Garage
Testing: BenQ HT5550 | Epson 5050UB | 160" Dragonfly™ Fixed AT Screen
Denon X6300H | 9.4.4 (7.2.4 Discrete) | 9x Episode 900 Series LCR/Surrounds | 4x Episode 1700 Series ATMOS Heights | 4x Episode 12" Evo Subs
Sony X700 | Xbox One X | NVIDIA Shield TV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2432 of 5888 Old 04-10-2019, 06:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyroo View Post
My preferred SDR setting is Cinema Mode. Brilliant Color On. Iris On. Lamp normal. Sharpness 8. I usually have color enhancer at 5 or 6. Not a ton adjustments. My unit put a very good picture up out of the box.

HDR content my preferred setting is HDR Brightness +1 (160” screen) and make sure color enhancer is turned off. Iris on. Lamp normal. Wide color mode off (160” screen).

Sports and non critical viewing - take the SDR settings above and change gamma from 2.4 default to BenQ. That pops the image just a bit without sacrificing too much grayscale color accuracy.

You can also play with vivid mode a bit but I found the colors a bit saturated for my liking. Some may like that though. I fee I can get the color pop I want with BenQ gamma setting, brilliant Color, and 4K color enhancer on the cinema mode.
Thank you!

xp0z3d likes this.
post #2433 of 5888 Old 04-10-2019, 06:17 PM

Two quick comments:

The zoom adjustment needs to be more fluid. It is very stiff and slight adjustments are very difficult.

I am watching my Pens vs Islanders and noticing a frequent flicker. I have changed various light modes as well as dynamic iris and still seems to do it. Any thoughts. Hockey is a tough sport on a projector due to constant white to dark, to light, etc.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2434 of 5888 Old 04-10-2019, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Two quick comments:

The zoom adjustment needs to be more fluid. It is very stiff and slight adjustments are very difficult.

I am watching my Pens vs Islanders and noticing a frequent flicker. I have changed various light modes as well as dynamic iris and still seems to do it. Any thoughts. Hockey is a tough sport on a projector due to constant white to dark, to light, etc.

Thanks!

For sport I would make sure dynamic iris is off and lamp moden in normal

Denon X6300H | 9.4.4 (7.2.4 Discrete) | 9x Episode 900 Series LCR/Surrounds | 4x Episode 1700 Series ATMOS Heights | 4x Episode 12" Evo Subs
post #2435 of 5888 Old 04-10-2019, 09:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 63
BenQ W2700 / HT3550 Announcement and Owner’s Thread

Hey guys, received the projector. Here's the latest:

1. I measured three times, drilled once with the mount and although the front of the lens is 4 inches further than the lower limit, the max diagonal screen I was able to achieve was 131" and I wanted 135" so somewhere my math went wrong or BenQ's numbers in the manual are slightly off (by 3-4"). Or Siri that calculated my mm to inch conversions (I am blaming Siri). Anyway, because I want a 135" screen, I now have to move the projector about 21" back (due to the studs in the concrete ceiling above, darn contractors who don't follow rules on spacing). This is in the middle limits of 135" screen but closer to where I sit. Oh well.

2. So, I popped in Martian 4K UHD disc. First it would only do 1080P so I bypassed the receiver and straight to the projector. Same thing. It turned out to be my mediabridge 25' cable. With a 6' cable, 4K/24p/HDR it is. The issue is I can't seem to get the picture in 16x9 mode (it's more like 2.54:1 mode). I am using Panasonic UB900 and there are no video settings for 4K movies (I can see them when I pop in a DVD) but nothing around aspect ratio. The BenQ is set to auto and I also tried 16x9. Is it the movie? It's so darn wide and so little height.

Edit on above: I had the receiver set to hdcp 1.4. So, cable is good and now I get 4K except the aspect ratio of picture is still an issue.

The speaker on this thing isn't too bad (for now no receiver hooked up).

I am upgrading the firmware next and see if that changes anything. It is currently 1.0. Edit: nm, I don't see anything on the website.

Last edited by home4sale2; 04-10-2019 at 11:37 PM.
post #2436 of 5888 Old 04-10-2019, 11:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by subacabra View Post
Not really maybe a touch on Black Ops 4. Still did ok despite that and having a few brewskies
I think it's been scientifically proven that IPA causes more input lag than DLP.
post #2437 of 5888 Old 04-10-2019, 11:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1836 Post(s)
Liked: 5261
Hi guys! Watched a couple movies tonight on the HT3550. First up was Transformers The Last Knight. Wow! It looked phenomenal!
Then I thought let me check Interstellar uhd and see how that looked.
Keeping in mind that even on my calibrated 900e the beginning scenes and a couple others seem way too dark I decided to try it out.
Sure enough those scenes seemed to exhibit the same behavior on the projector.
But once the movie got going, and the IMAX scenes started, it honestly looked really nice.
In this video I have the iris and brilliant color on, with the wide color off.
Switching back and forth I found the wide color filter produced a rather dull image, with color shifting towards blue.
So anyway, here's a video of one of my favorite scenes.

post #2438 of 5888 Old 04-10-2019, 11:58 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Hi guys! Watched a couple movies tonight on the HT3550. First up was Transformers The Last Knight. Wow! It looked phenomenal!
Then I thought let me check Interstellar uhd and see how that looked.
Keeping in mind that even on my calibrated 900e the beginning scenes and a couple others seem way too dark I decided to try it out.
Sure enough those scenes seemed to exhibit the same behavior on the projector.
But once the movie got going, and the IMAX scenes started, it honestly looked really nice.
In this video I have the iris and brilliant color on, with the wide color off.
Switching back and forth I found the wide color filter produced a rather dull image, with color shifting towards blue.
So anyway, here's a video of one of my favorite scenes.

https://youtu.be/1T0RgOuR_4M
This makes me so excited to get the HT3550. I also have a 65x900E so I'll have the same setup as you!
subacabra likes this.
post #2439 of 5888 Old 04-11-2019, 02:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 973 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by home4sale2 View Post
2. So, I popped in Martian 4K UHD disc. First it would only do 1080P so I bypassed the receiver and straight to the projector. Same thing. It turned out to be my mediabridge 25' cable. With a 6' cable, 4K/24p/HDR it is. The issue is I can't seem to get the picture in 16x9 mode (it's more like 2.54:1 mode). I am using Panasonic UB900 and there are no video settings for 4K movies (I can see them when I pop in a DVD) but nothing around aspect ratio. The BenQ is set to auto and I also tried 16x9. Is it the movie? It's so darn wide and so little height.

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-M...lu-ray/147430/

Aspect ratio of The Martian is 2.40:1 which is close to 21:9, so it's normal that on any 16:9 screen (1.78:1) you'll get letterbox bars on top and bottom of the screen in order to be able to see the entire image width.

Here is a thread addressing the issue with some graphics that may help to understand the issue better: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/150-b...75-screen.html

"It is only about things that do not interest one that one can give a really unbiased opinion, which is no doubt the reason why an unbiased opinion is always absolutely valueless." Oscar Wilde

Last edited by Frank714; 04-11-2019 at 02:59 AM.
post #2440 of 5888 Old 04-11-2019, 06:30 AM

Thanks Frank, aspect ratio of the movie itself is what I woke up thinking about. Appreciate the link and the response.

Moving it further back has afforded me the option to zoom in more which helps. Looks like I’ll be using that zoom ring more often than I would like now that I have my cable box hooked up to this as well which is 1080i max only. My old HTPC is outputting 1920x1080 and I need to upgrade my NF today to get 4K going. For 1080, I can’t tell much difference but I need a new screen, painted or otherwise.

I spent many hours installing this because I had to move this twice and because of construction issues and have some patching to do (wife shook her head which is better than a glaring look?). Will have some more time to enjoy tonight and report back once I scroll through some recommendations every one has made on settings.

Couple of early observations. WCG seems to dull the picture but I also find colors overstated out of the box. As I said, I need a better screen first so holding more judgment for now.

A couple of times I saw the split screen like others have reported which I haven’t seen once fully mounted.

Auto Keystone on and off is unpredictable. I still don’t know if it’s on or off but the picture is square. By the way the mount I used is a VIVO for about $20. It was the best short profile mount I saw in any price range with 3" between the ceiling and top of the projector. I was able to get to the CG or very close to it. I’d use it again for flat ceilings only vs vaulted vs mirrored use cases which it says it can do but I don't think the locking mechanism will support this heavy of a projector in an abnormal tilt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by home4sale2; 04-11-2019 at 08:01 AM.
post #2441 of 5888 Old 04-11-2019, 09:38 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
I'm hoping it stays in the correct position, we'll see when I fire it up again tonight. Also, hoping it's something that can be corrected through firmware.
Yeah dude, you should be getting yours soon! Keep us all posted!

Has this behavior gone away? I have changed it on mine 4 times now and every time I power it on I have to change it back to ceiling mounted to invert it again. This has also happened while I was evaluating things. I figured I would try a reset but that didn't matter. Thoughts or suggestions?

Other than that massive hiccup on mine this thing is really a nice piece of kit. The colors are great and I'm pleasantly surprised the noise is not as loud while in HDR mode as I would have expected after some reviews from other owners. Overall I'm very happy. Now to fix the start-up picture position and I'm solid.

AVR - Denon AVR-X4300H & NAD C 375BEE
Fronts - Magnepan MG12/QR / Center - Magnepan MGCC2
Satellites - 6 Monoprice Black Back 6.5 /Sub - SVS PB-1000
PRJ - BenQ HT3550 / SCN - SilverTicket STR-16992
Sources - Switch/PS4/Sony UBP-X800/Thorens TD166 MKII/Austin Audioworks Black Swan
post #2442 of 5888 Old 04-11-2019, 10:15 AM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:

Thanks for this. My Gamma setting defaults to 2.2, though, not 2.4. Are you recommending 2.4 for SDR and HDR and then "BenQ" for sports? Or was the 2.4 a typo? Or maybe the units ship with different default values?
post #2443 of 5888 Old 04-11-2019, 10:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1836 Post(s)
Liked: 5261
Quote:
Originally Posted by neotide View Post
Has this behavior gone away? I have changed it on mine 4 times now and every time I power it on I have to change it back to ceiling mounted to invert it again. This has also happened while I was evaluating things. I figured I would try a reset but that didn't matter. Thoughts or suggestions?

Other than that massive hiccup on mine this thing is really a nice piece of kit. The colors are great and I'm pleasantly surprised the noise is not as loud while in HDR mode as I would have expected after some reviews from other owners. Overall I'm very happy. Now to fix the start-up picture position and I'm solid.
Hi! Luckily it has seemed to resolve itself and hasn't reverted back to front. I made sure I switched it to front ceiling on all picture modes/sources.
On another note, last night I wanted to try out the motion smoothing just for the heck of it and when I switched it to low I think it freaked out the pj because I lost my video signal and the unit reset itself after a couple minutes..
I put it back to off and it was fine the rest of the night.
neotide likes this.
post #2444 of 5888 Old 04-11-2019, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2L84U View Post
Thanks for this. My Gamma setting defaults to 2.2, though, not 2.4. Are you recommending 2.4 for SDR and HDR and then "BenQ" for sports? Or was the 2.4 a typo? Or maybe the units ship with different default values?

I could be wrong. Honestly whatever you prefer. 2.2 will probably provide a bit more pop bd brightness.

post #2445 of 5888 Old 04-11-2019, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Hi! Luckily it has seemed to resolve itself and hasn't reverted back to front. I made sure I switched it to front ceiling on all picture modes/sources.
On another note, last night I wanted to try out the motion smoothing just for the heck of it and when I switched it to low I think it freaked out the pj because I lost my video signal and the unit reset itself after a couple minutes..

I'll try setting it for all modes just to be safe and go from there when I get home tonight. Worst case is I'll open a ticket with BenQ Support and go from there. Thanks!
subacabra likes this.

Sources - Switch/PS4/Sony UBP-X800/Thorens TD166 MKII/Austin Audioworks Black Swan
post #2446 of 5888 Old 04-11-2019, 10:22 AM

Quote:
I could be wrong. Honestly whatever you prefer. 2.2 will probably provide a bit more pop bd brightness.
Got it, thanks.

I too have had the Front/Front Ceiling problem a couple other people reported, and some weirdness with the colors flickering and the screen being halved (thinking maybe the XPR component didn't initialize?) but those things only happened a couple times and haven't happened since. Everything else has been great, so fingers crossed. Big upgrade from the HT2050.
post #2447 of 5888 Old 04-11-2019, 10:27 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2L84U View Post
Got it, thanks.

I too have had the Front/Front Ceiling problem a couple other people reported, and some weirdness with the colors flickering and the screen being halved (thinking maybe the XPR component didn't initialize?) but those things only happened a couple times and haven't happened since. Everything else has been great, so fingers crossed. Big upgrade from the HT2050.
For those that ordered around the 4th and chose ground shipping.... I didn't receive an e-mail confirmation, but when I checked my BenQ account this morning it said it shipped out on the 10th! Expected delivery on 4/16.

Excited to fire this thing up and scared at the same time based on all the issues being reported.... I usually wait a while for things to settle down, but have been itching to get into the whole 4K scene with my projector.

I'm hoping this is a drop in replacement for the W1070 and I won't have to relocate the mount or anything. Can anyone confirm? Thanks!
post #2448 of 5888 Old 04-11-2019, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by file8761 View Post
For those that ordered around the 4th and chose ground shipping.... I didn't receive an e-mail confirmation, but when I checked my BenQ account this morning it said it shipped out on the 10th! Expected delivery on 4/16.

Excited to fire this thing up and scared at the same time based on all the issues being reported.... I usually wait a while for things to settle down, but have been itching to get into the whole 4K scene with my projector.

I'm hoping this is a drop in replacement for the W1070 and I won't have to relocate the mount or anything. Can anyone confirm? Thanks!
If the W1070 and HT2050 are the same for throw distance and positioning (I am pretty sure they are), mine went in just fine. The mounting holes on the bottom are positioned differently, though, so you'll want to try to line up the mounting bracket in a way where its positioning in relation to the lens is the same on the HT3550 as it was on your W1070.
file8761 and neotide like this.
post #2449 of 5888 Old 04-11-2019, 10:39 AM

Quote:

I replaced my HT2050 as well and can confirm this was drop in.

post #2450 of 5888 Old 04-11-2019, 10:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:

I chose overnight priority and the unit shipped on the 10th and is now sitting in my office staring back at me. Trouble is, I just realized last night that my existing 30' cable is not 4K certified, so I need to buy/run a plenum rated (CL2 or CL3) replacement, ASAP. For every well-reviewed long run cable there is another user claiming it won't transmit 4K 60FPS(?) You gotta love the internet and on-line reviews!
post #2451 of 5888 Old 04-11-2019, 10:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 3969 Post(s)
Liked: 3140
Quote:

The zoom adjustment needs to be more fluid. It is very stiff and slight adjustments are very difficult. ...
Lens zoom sometimes loosens up a little with use. Of course if you have a fixed installation you should only need to adjust zoom one time, and being a little on the tight side is good for preventing lens zoom drift. But it you really want it to be looser for fine adjustments you could try zooming the lens back and forth a few dozen times to see if that helps loosen it up.
post #2452 of 5888 Old 04-11-2019, 10:55 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samfield View Post
I chose overnight priority and the unit shipped on the 10th and is now sitting in my office staring back at me. Trouble is, I just realized last night that my existing 30' cable is not 4K certified, so I need to buy/run a plenum rated (CL2 or CL3) replacement, ASAP. For every well-reviewed long run cable there is another user claiming it won't transmit 4K 60FPS(?) You gotta love the internet and on-line reviews!
I have the same worry! I bought my HDMI cable a few years back, Mediabridge 35ft. It says for lengths 3ft-35ft that it's rated for: 4K @60hz/ Ultra HD / HDMI 2.0b / HDR & 4:4:4 / 18Gbps / HDCP 2.2. Hopefully I luck out, running a new cable will not be fun.
post #2453 of 5888 Old 04-11-2019, 11:26 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 9
BestBuy Canada has just opened pre-orders for the TK800M for April 23 delivery. I now have that and the HT3550 on order. I don’t think the 3550 will ever be released up here...

post #2454 of 5888 Old 04-11-2019, 11:53 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Got mine set up last night and overall I am really impressed. The picture looks great in Cinema mode, but even after all the comments I don't think I was prepared for the brightness hit you take when you turn on the wide color filter. After a little while I get used to it, but it's a bit of a shock at the initial switch.

Input lag doesn't seem too bad to me. I haven't played any competitive shooters online yet, but I played through some campaign in Halo: Master Chief Collection and with pretty much every lag increasing setting turned on an could only detect the slightest hint of lag. I never play games on anything close to a gaming monitor so I may not be very sensitive to it.

Fan noise was louder than I expected based on other people's reviews. I tried to changing the lamp setting and using the silent mode, but I didn't notice a difference in fan noise.

The only software "bug" I've notice so far is occasionally when messing around with all the different settings, half the screen would change to the new setting and the other half would appear to stay at the old one. Changing the video mode would correct the screen back to a single setting.
post #2455 of 5888 Old 04-11-2019, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahly3889 View Post
Got mine set up last night and overall I am really impressed. The picture looks great in Cinema mode, but even after all the comments I don't think I was prepared for the brightness hit you take when you turn on the wide color filter. After a little while I get used to it, but it's a bit of a shock at the initial switch.

Input lag doesn't seem too bad to me. I haven't played any competitive shooters online yet, but I played through some campaign in Halo: Master Chief Collection and with pretty much every lag increasing setting turned on an could only detect the slightest hint of lag. I never play games on anything close to a gaming monitor so I may not be very sensitive to it.

Fan noise was louder than I expected based on other people's reviews. I tried to changing the lamp setting and using the silent mode, but I didn't notice a difference in fan noise.

The only software "bug" I've notice so far is occasionally when messing around with all the different settings, half the screen would change to the new setting and the other half would appear to stay at the old one. Changing the video mode would correct the screen back to a single setting.
Coming from an HT2050, the fan doesn't bother me in Economic mode. The XPR component has its own distinct noise, though, that's pretty noticeable. Far less so than the previous generation of these like the HT2550 and TK800. That stops when enabling the Silence setting but that effectively downgrades it to an SDR 1080p projector.

A bug I just found: setting the lamp to Economic does not stick between boots. It seems like it does in the sense that the setting is still selected, but each and every time I boot it up I have to go back and reapply that setting and I can see the screen visibly dim when I do so. Weirder yet is that the fan does not ramp down when I do that (whereas it does if I switch it to Normal first and then to Economic), so it's like it realizes it's set to Eco mode for the fan speed setting, but doesn't realize it's set to it for brightness. I could see this causing overheating potentially.
post #2456 of 5888 Old 04-11-2019, 12:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quick and dirty first impressions after hooking my HT3550 up last night. Keep in mind, my impressions are in comparison to the first and only projector I ever had, which is an Epson 8350. Also keep in mind that the Epson has been calibrated not only using the Disney WOW disc, but I have a colorimeter and calibration software that I used to get color and grayscale tracking correct. My screen is Seymour acoustically transparent fabric and it's 16:9 at 106". I sit 11' back from it. My room has good overall light control. Black ceiling, black rug between my row of theater seats and the screen. The walls are the same ribbed fabric you see in many commercial theaters. It's more of a tan/brown color though. The theater seats are black.

I did the math, took careful measurements and had my mount in place before the projector arrived. Setup was easy and went well. I got it all leveled up and turned the pattern screen on. Using the pattern screen, I was able to get the projector turned properly toward the screen, and then went back and forth with setting the zoom and height offset. Worked perfectly. I initially had issues with setting the proper projector location configuration, but got that worked out for HDMI 1 and 2.

My first Bluray was the UHD version of Planet Earth 2. All I can say is WOW! The clarity and overall picture quality floored me. Like looking out a window. The 3550 trounces the Epson 8350 in clarity, brightness, image quality, you name it. Now my bulb was probably at half life with the Epson, but even in ECO / Cinema mode the 3550 is much brighter.

Next my wife and I watched Survivor that had just recorded on my Dish Hopper. Holy brightness! Still in ECO / Cinema. There's only so much polish you can put on a turd, but the upscaling and clarity of the 3550 was something to behold, even on Dish. There's nothing a projector can do with the abundance of compression artifacts on Dish, but the overall improvement is hard to believe. Text is so crisp it's like reading from a computer monitor. Not used to this at all!

After I politely got the wife to leave the room after watching Survivor, I checked out Assassin's Creed which I've been playing on my standard PS4. Did my PS4 just turn into a PS5? This is just stupid good! I usually avoided playing the game "at night" within the game because it just wasn't enjoyable. The 3550 is a revelation. I now am left wondering that the heck was wrong with my 3850. Oh yes, lag. It's there. I noticed the difference right away from going from mid 30's lag to whatever the 3550 is at. I did not try to turn off any processing or try to reduce it in any way yet. As it is, I know I'll get used to it and it won't be a problem. I don't play first person shooters, so that's probably a good thing.

Finally I put in my standard Bluray copy of Prometheus. Since the movie is in 2.35:1, I wanted to see how noticeable the top and bottom letterboxing was. Here was where my Epson was more comparable to the BenQ. The 3550 wins here too though. The black levels and contrast of the 3550 to me, are what I would consider good. I've heard the word "abysmal" thrown around lately, and it's a gross misuse of that word, at least in the context of this projector. I was able to view the movie in D. Cinema and thought it looked fantastic. For me, the picture is still plenty bright. Really, it's right where I would expect it to be.

Can't wait to get home tonight and start exploring more with this projector.

Now some negatives. Fan noise is louder than I'm used to. It's not terrible, but I may look into some type of hush box in the future. The projector is literally 2-3 feet above my head. Like many others have mentioned, the projector seems to have some switching bugs going on. I've experienced the half screen and other anomalies. I made the mistake of changing the HDMI setting from automatic, and this totally screwed up the picture. In fact I ended up having to pull the plug on the projector after I couldn't get it to shut down. Not something I did casually! In the end, one of the best features of this projector may be the ability to update the firmware via USB. It clearly will require future firmware updates, because at the moment the firmware is not ready for prime time for a typical (non AVS) user.
Samfield, JPHCCFC, NxNW and 7 others like this.

Last edited by curtlots; 04-11-2019 at 12:20 PM.
post #2457 of 5888 Old 04-11-2019, 12:35 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dehrig Richard View Post
BestBuy Canada has just opened pre-orders for the TK800M for April 23 delivery. I now have that and the HT3550 on order. I don’t think the 3550 will ever be released up here...

LOL.. I think you are being a little dramatic.. It will be released in Canada and hopefully all the bugs will be ironed out by then or a firmware update will be available...
post #2458 of 5888 Old 04-11-2019, 01:00 PM

Quote:
I have the same worry! I bought my HDMI cable a few years back, Mediabridge 35ft. It says for lengths 3ft-35ft that it's rated for: 4K @60hz/ Ultra HD / HDMI 2.0b / HDR & 4:4:4 / 18Gbps / HDCP 2.2. Hopefully I luck out, running a new cable will not be fun.
FWIW, I have an 2-3 years old Mediabridge cable (with red markings) at 25' and the cable is fine. Not sure what happens at the peak (18gbps or if there's content that pushes that limit) but for one movie I have tested, it was fine. I may go shorter length and maybe fiber before I patch up the ceiling as I don't want to do that again.
file8761 and Samfield like this.
post #2459 of 5888 Old 04-11-2019, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Last night it did this three times during my initial few hours of use. I swear I didn't hit any buttons, but it would invert and require me to change it. I will see what it does tonight after power on.
neotide likes this.
post #2460 of 5888 Old 04-11-2019, 01:52 PM

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraine View Post
The BenQ W2700 review is online :

http://www.passionhomecinema.fr/blog...is-de-gregory/

For JackB and all the english readers you will find the translation in English at the end of the test.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chhanthony View Post
Hi all, here is the color gamut measurement under HDR mode with Wide Color mode ON, Brilliant Color OFF,
in normal light mode projected on a 126" 1.0 gain white screen,
HT3550 (W2700) reached 96% DCI-P3 color gamut coverage with 23 nits @ 100% white.

Thank you, I believe these links point to the only two calibration screen shots showing *measured* gamut I've seen so far. Primaries look pretty good.

And for those saying WCG is dim, well, it is.

23 nits is like 7 Foot-Lamberts, less than half the SMPTE standard for normal (SDR) cinema, and way way less than the 30 FtL peak brightness I've seen as a minimum standard for projecting an HDR image. Admittedly you can't expect to get close to that at this price point, but still, if you grew up going to movie theaters showing 14 FtL, WCG mode on the HT3550 is going to seem at least 25% dimmer than *that* , so hopefully people will manage their expectations accordingly..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page