BenQ W2700 / HT3550 Announcement and Owner’s Thread - Page 85 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2104Likes

post #2521 of 3765 Old 04-14-2019, 09:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 176 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2555 Post(s)
Liked: 2507
[quote=curtlots;57900238]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaded21 View Post
Did you enable silent mode? That disables 4K altogether.

No, the silent mode is off. Am I reading the displays correctly?

- Picture 1 shows that silent mode is off.

- Picture 2 shows that HDMI 2 is displaying, or that the source is 1080p? Is this displaying the source resolution or the projector resolution?

- Picture 3 shows that the projectore is displaying in 1080p? Again, is this displaying source or projector resolution

- Picture 4 shows that aspect ratio is set to automatic.

- Picture 5 shows my other settings at the moment; dynamic iris on, etc...

I feel like I'm missing something, or am misinterpreting the displays. Perhaps I'm mistaken, but I could swear that previous to this, that HDMI 2 was displaying that the projector was 2160 / 4k instead of 1080p.

That is indicating your source resolution, not your display resolution. Outside silent/3D, the BenQ is ALWAYS 4K. It runs, for lack of a better word, natively in it’s 4K pixel shift mode.
curtlots likes this.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2522 of 3765 Old 04-14-2019, 09:08 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
I don’t have a production unit but, rather, a pre-production review sample. But I don’t think the noise you’re hearing is the actuator because the actuator should be running all the time outside of 3D/Silent. It’s a possibility that one of the fans is clicking on and off... Idk, I haven’t experienced that. Maybe take a video of the issue and share?

As for your boot issue. Is that something that is happening constantly or just for a few seconds? The iris does go through an activation process and when engaging or disengaging the filter (which is tied to the last mode you used before turning off the projector) you’ll often see some odd color shifts and screen tearing as the projector sorts itself out. This is 100% normal.
It's definitely the actuator. It is in fact on 100% of the time outside of Silence mode (never used 3D), save for every 10-15 seconds where it stops for a split second and then starts again. Nothing happens visibly on the screen but the noise going away and then coming back is bothersome. I don't think I would notice it if it were constant, which it seems like it's supposed to be.

The boot issue, when it happens, is constant. I know what you're referring to and that happens on every boot and I understand it's part of the startup sequence. But every fourth (roughly) boot it's as if something goes wrong during that sequence and that results in the entire picture cycling through shades of red, green, purple, and it doesn't stop until I turn it off and back on. I once left it on for 10 minutes and it didn't stop. I'll try to get a video next time it happens.
post #2523 of 3765 Old 04-14-2019, 09:19 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2L84U View Post
It's definitely the actuator. It is in fact on 100% of the time outside of Silence mode (never used 3D), save for every 10-15 seconds where it stops for a split second and then starts again. Nothing happens visibly on the screen but the noise going away and then coming back is bothersome. I don't think I would notice it if it were constant, which it seems like it's supposed to be.

The boot issue, when it happens, is constant. I know what you're referring to and that happens on every boot and I understand it's part of the startup sequence. But every fourth (roughly) boot it's as if something goes wrong during that sequence and that results in the entire picture cycling through shades of red, green, purple, and it doesn't stop until I turn it off and back on. I once left it on for 10 minutes and it didn't stop. I'll try to get a video next time it happens.
I've had this happen twice myself. Once while trying to use 3D and the second time just upon boot up to use an AppleTV 4K. Nothing would make it go away -not changing source, engaging test pattern, using menu, etc. But a reboot, and then all was well. So it's definitely not a source or cable issue.. Hopefully something that will be addressed with a firmware update in the near future.

11ft x 13ft Theater Room w/ 2x rows of 2x Seatcraft Rialto Leather Powered Recliners
BenQ HT3550 4K XPR DLP projector w/ Silver Ticket 100" 16:9 Aspect Ratio Screen
Yamaha RX-V683BL AVR w/ Klipsch 5.2.2 Atmos Surround System
PS4 Slim, Xbox One S, Nintendo Switch, AppleTV 4K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2524 of 3765 Old 04-14-2019, 09:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

BenQ W2700 / HT3550 Announcement and Owner’s Thread

Quote:

If you’re not seeing anything on the screen then I’m not sure how it could be the actuator. I suppose it could be something inside the projector that is resonating— this sounds silly but have you tried tightening you mount? But I would contact BenQ and let them know about the other issues you’re having. It may very well be an issue for the warranty.

Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

Last edited by sage11x; 04-14-2019 at 10:02 AM.
post #2525 of 3765 Old 04-14-2019, 10:23 AM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
If you’re not seeing anything on the screen then I’m not sure how it could be the actuator. I suppose it could be something inside the projector that is resonating— this sounds silly but have you tried tightening you mount? But I would contact BenQ and let them know about the other issues you’re having. It may very well be an issue for the warranty.
If the actuator is the thing that shuts off when enabling Silence mode, I'm certain that's it. But as I'm writing this, it's not stopping and starting, it's constant like it should be. That wasn't the case earlier this morning. So maybe it's only on some boots? Not sure.

I have been in touch with BenQ and they're seeing if they have stock for an advanced RMA. I haven't heard back yet but based on how limited the availability is for this, I'm betting they don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdupuis77 View Post
I've had this happen twice myself. Once while trying to use 3D and the second time just upon boot up to use an AppleTV 4K. Nothing would make it go away -not changing source, engaging test pattern, using menu, etc. But a reboot, and then all was well. So it's definitely not a source or cable issue.. Hopefully something that will be addressed with a firmware update in the near future.
Thanks, good to know some other units have the same thing. Hopefully that translates to it being fixable with firmware like you noted.

Last edited by 2L84U; 04-14-2019 at 10:42 AM.
post #2526 of 3765 Old 04-14-2019, 10:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Could anyone post a video with a gaming controller in front on the video showing a button press and how the projector responds on the screen so we can get a visual view on lag? This would work well with a racing or shooting game.
post #2527 of 3765 Old 04-14-2019, 01:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
If the actuator is the thing that shuts off when enabling Silence mode, I'm certain that's it. But as I'm writing this, it's not stopping and starting, it's constant like it should be. That wasn't the case earlier this morning. So maybe it's only on some boots? Not sure.

I have been in touch with BenQ and they're seeing if they have stock for an advanced RMA. I haven't heard back yet but based on how limited the availability is for this, I'm betting they don't.

Thanks, good to know some other units have the same thing. Hopefully that translates to it being fixable with firmware like you noted.

Yeah, that still doesn’t make sense. I believe what you’re saying but if the optical actuator suddenly stopped working you would lose 4K. In fact, worse yet, you would get one funky looking image as all 4 pixels that make up the image would suddenly be overlapped.

Yeah, production was delayed due to their supplier initially delivering a lens that did not meet the spec that BenQ had outlined. The good news is BenQ is using a very high quality lens for the HT3550. The bad news is production is still catching up. They’ll get there.

post #2528 of 3765 Old 04-14-2019, 01:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 643 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Quote:

I remember @sage11x mentioning that BenQ came up with some system for throttling the colorwheel to achieve native 24hz frame rate. Maybe if there is some clutch type mechanism to adjust the color wheel speed it could be the source of the noise and color sync issues you mentioned.
post #2529 of 3765 Old 04-14-2019, 05:00 PM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaded21 View Post
Did you enable silent mode? That disables 4K altogether.

Of course the projector will upscale if it's fed a 1080p signal, otherwise the image would only take up a quarter of the screen.

Sorry I misunderstood, thought you meant upconvert. So your image is a quarter size?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #2530 of 3765 Old 04-14-2019, 06:45 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 108
I don't think the half screen issue in related to the different studios, as I have no half screen issue with Lucy but happens with other disc but not only often and I OFF and ON WGC again it will become normal. (I am using Panasonic UB900)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samfield View Post
Got the 3550 installed late last night for a limited session, so much more testing to come. So this is my initial impression. DISCLAIMER, My set-up fits the definition of smaller screen user in a light controlled room. Sources, 4K blu-Ray from both a Sony X800 and Oppo 203, via a Marantz SR7012. (I specifically purchased the 3550 to watch 4K blu discs so that’s what I focused on, for now.) My preferred settings are WCG on, iris on and brilliant color off, HDR brightness 0. Generally I concur with the conclusions in both Sages and Scotty’s reviews. I did however get the weird split screen anomaly watching Lucy, but not on other discs. Lucy was my only Universal demo so not sure if this is unique to that studios releases? Can anybody else confirm? The split screen was dead even, almost like half with brilliant color on and half off?? It would come and go. That's too bad because that issue aside, Lucy is razor sharp and rocks in 4K. This is my first projector with an iris and I did not find it intrusive. Fan noise was a bit more noticeable than my 3050. To be fair that’s without a dB meter and not sure if that thought had been put there by other users mentioning it. Once I got into a movie, fan noise was a non issue. Much more testing to follow. My very initial impression, a worthy upgrade from my 3050, but not by orders of magnitude. Something that also matters to me is the value proposition. Back in 2006/2007 my Optoma HD70 originally listed for $999. I thought 720P for under a grand was a revelation. To be able to buy a quality 4K projector with iris for only $500 more 13 years later is pretty great. So more 4K UHD testing tonight along with 1080P blu and 3D and PS4 Pro. For now, another cup of coffee...🙂

Anthony Chan
AV Blog: http://www.avnewbie.com
System: 5.3.4
Panasonic DMP-UB900EBK, Egreat A5, Anthem AVM60, Krell KAV2250 X 2, Theater Amplifier Standard, M&K S-150 X 5, SS150 X 4, Martin Logan Descent-i and Thiel SS 2, SS2.2 and SI 1 Integrator, Benq HT1075, JK 126" Fixed Screen N4-FL/W1

Last edited by chhanthony; 04-14-2019 at 06:59 PM.
post #2531 of 3765 Old 04-14-2019, 07:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by chhanthony View Post
I don't think the half screen issue in related to the different studios, as I have no half screen issue with Lucy but happens with other disc but not only often and I OFF and ON WGC again it will become normal. (I am using Panasonic UB900)
Thanks, Anthony, I’ll give that a try. The split screen effect happened tonight on Last Jedi, but not on Avengers UHD or on the Netflix Formula 1 Drive to Survive series. BTW, Avengers looks just great on the 3550. I’m assuming this split screen issue can be corrected with a firmware revision. Despite this issue I’m really enjoying this projector. I’ve tweeked my preferred settings and set Brilliant Color on and the Motion Enhancer to low. To each his own, but I believe I’m really getting this dialed in now.

UPDATE: Cycling the WCG filter off and back on solved the split screen issue. As soon as I had inserted Lucy back in the Sony 800 the split appeared on the Universal splash screen. Cycled the WCG filter and all was good. Thanks.
chhanthony likes this.

Last edited by Samfield; 04-14-2019 at 08:07 PM. Reason: Update
post #2532 of 3765 Old 04-14-2019, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Thanks, Anthony, I’ll give that a try. The split screen effect happened tonight on Last Jedi, but not on Avengers UHD or on the Netflix Formula 1 Drive to Survive series. BTW, Avengers looks just great on the 3550. I’m assuming this split screen issue can be corrected with a firmware revision. Despite this issue I’m really enjoying this projector. I’ve tweeked my preferred settings and set Brilliant Color on and the Motion Enhancer to low. To each his own, but I believe I’m really getting this dialed in now.
Honestly, this HT3550 is quite buggy compare to my old HT1075, but it is so weird I have many issue within the first 50 hrs., including no response and hanged in a black screen(no signal) even I switch between the HDMI 1 & 2, I have to turn off by pressing the ON/OFF button on the projected or even I had to unplug the powercord to reboot it. Have many times only display half screen.
My connection was

Players:-
Panasonic UB900
Egreat A5

AV Processor
Anthem AVM60

UB900 and A5 using 2M HDMI to AVM60
AVM 60 2 HDMI output via 2 fiber optical HDMI to HT3550 HDMI 1 & 2 (HDMI 1 for WCG ON and HDMI 2 for WCG OFF)

I noted that there are something wrong with the output resolution on A5, then I bought a Zidoo Z9S in place of A5.

Touch wood, I don't have black screen (no signal) after using Zidoo Z9s, but it is still output 1080 60P every time reboot, I have to change the resolution to 4K manually every time....um.....okay, I can live with this small inconvenience, at least I don't need to hard reboot the HT3550.

Also share an off topic issue, when I was using Anthem AVM60 and BenQ HT1075, it will have HDMI handshake problem, if I connect two Fiber Optical HDMI output from AVM60, I though it was AVM60's problem. But now with HT3550, I can use two Fiber Optical HDMI output form AVM60 without any problem.

Anthony Chan
Panasonic DMP-UB900EBK, Egreat A5, Anthem AVM60, Krell KAV2250 X 2, Theater Amplifier Standard, M&K S-150 X 5, SS150 X 4, Martin Logan Descent-i and Thiel SS 2, SS2.2 and SI 1 Integrator, Benq HT1075, JK 126" Fixed Screen N4-FL/W1

Last edited by chhanthony; 04-14-2019 at 08:26 PM.
post #2533 of 3765 Old 04-14-2019, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 612 Post(s)
Liked: 807
Quote:
Honestly, this HT3550 is quite buggy compare to my old HT1075, but it is so weird I have many issue within the first 50 hrs., including no response and hanged in a black screen(no signal) even I switch between the HDMI 1 & 2, I have to turn off by pressing the ON/OFF button on the projected or even I had to unplug the powercord to reboot it. Have many times only display half screen.

My connection was

Panasonic UB900

Egreat A5

AV Processor

Anthem AVM60

AVM 60 2 HDMI output via 2 fiber optical HDMI to HT3550 HDMI 1 & 2 (HDMI 1 for WCG ON and HDMI 2 for WCG OFF)

I noted that there are something wrong with the output resolution on A5, then I bought a Zidoo Z9S in place of A5.

Touch wood, I don't have black screen (no signal) after using Zidoo Z9s, but it is still output 1080 60P every time reboot, I have to change the resolution to 4K manually every time....um.....okay, I can live with this small inconvenience, at least I don't need to hard reboot the HT3550.

Also share an off topic issue, when I was using Anthem AVM60 and BenQ HT1075, it will have HDMI handshake problem, if I connect two Fiber Optical HDMI output from AVM60, I though it was AVM60's problem. But now with HT3550, I can use two Fiber Optical HDMI output form AVM60 without any problem.

I am fairly certain that it has to do with the introduction of USB firmware upgrades being possible. In order to do this they are running the projector OS on Android. I’m pretty sure they had a proprietary OS before on a Linux fork and so projector specific things like XPR timing is still a bit buggy.

They’ll get it figured out.

"The Bunker" | Dedicated Theater Build Under Suspended Slab Garage
Testing: BenQ HT5550 | Epson 5050UB | 160" Dragonfly™ Fixed AT Screen
Denon X6300H | 9.4.4 (7.2.4 Discrete) | 9x Episode 900 Series LCR/Surrounds | 4x Episode 1700 Series ATMOS Heights | 4x Episode 12" Evo Subs
Sony X700 | Xbox One X | NVIDIA Shield TV
post #2534 of 3765 Old 04-14-2019, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyroo View Post
I am fairly certain that it has to do with the introduction of USB firmware upgrades being possible. In order to do this they are running the projector OS on Android. I’m pretty sure they had a proprietary OS before on a Linux fork and so projector specific things like XPR timing is still a bit buggy.

They’ll get it figured out.
Hi scottyroo,

Is the latest fw. still v1.0.0?

Anthony Chan
post #2535 of 3765 Old 04-15-2019, 04:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Quote:

UPDATE: Cycling the WCG filter off and back on solved the split screen issue. As soon as I had inserted Lucy back in the Sony 800 the split appeared on the Universal splash screen. Cycled the WCG filter and all was good. Thanks.
Here's a picture I took of what I believe you're talking about. I've also had half-screen with video with the other half black. I'll have to try cyling the WCG filter on/off next time this happens. I've usually switched between HDMI inputs to get back to normal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190413_185333_resized.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	381.0 KB
ID:	2553140  
post #2536 of 3765 Old 04-15-2019, 04:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 195
[quote=sage11x;57900302]
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtlots View Post

That is indicating your source resolution, not your display resolution. Outside silent/3D, the BenQ is ALWAYS 4K. It runs, for lack of a better word, natively in it’s 4K pixel shift mode.
Thanks Sage, that makes sense. It's just that when I started playing Assassin's Creed on my PS4, something seemed "off" from when I had played it the previous day. The clarity wasn't what I had remembered, so it led me to looking for what was causing this.
post #2537 of 3765 Old 04-15-2019, 06:03 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Can someone help me figure out why my noise reduction setting is greyed out? I was able to change if from off to low on the first night and now it's always greyed out. I assumed it was just because that option wasn't available in the picture setting I was using but I went through each one of them, including HDR, and toggled all the other settings on/off that I could and it still won't let me touch it. I hit reset settings but it didn't do anything either. I just want to turn it back off.
post #2538 of 3765 Old 04-15-2019, 06:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

[quote=curtlots;57903386]
Quote:

Thanks Sage, that makes sense. It's just that when I started playing Assassin's Creed on my PS4, something seemed "off" from when I had played it the previous day. The clarity wasn't what I had remembered, so it led me to looking for what was causing this.
Don't use games as a measuring stick. Most games these days have dynamic resolution either vertically, horizontally or both. Basically, they reduce rendering resolution when the system is taxed. It's also not always moments of action either-- I've had resolution and frame rate drops during quiet moments too. If you continue to notice an issue it could be a bottleneck in your cable or AVR. Try forcing the PS4 into 4K output and see what happens.
curtlots likes this.

post #2539 of 3765 Old 04-15-2019, 06:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtlots View Post
Here's a picture I took of what I believe you're talking about. I've also had half-screen with video with the other half black. I'll have to try cyling the WCG filter on/off next time this happens. I've usually switched between HDMI inputs to get back to normal.
Yes, that's the effect, exactly. Cycling the WCG filter worked each time. Once I cycled WCG on Lucy the issue did not repeat and I watched about an hour to confirm it did not return. I'm actually glad others have reported this and the problem isn't unique to my unit. Thanks.
post #2540 of 3765 Old 04-15-2019, 08:19 AM

Liked: 54
Quote:
My connection was

Panasonic UB900
Egreat A5

AV Processor
Anthem AVM60

chhanthony, I was going to pull my old 25' mediabridge cable out once I put in the 15' monoprice in and now leaving it hooked up to HDMI2 on the HT3550 from my AVR. I like the WCG on and off idea on two different ports (perhaps different settings altogether depending on source, ex. gaming).

Also, what settings did you end up with on your UB900? The NF and Prime apps seem to only do 1080p on it while the player is obviously 4K capable. I messed around with various settings but eventually did a factory reset on it and left everything on default (except audio at 10bit versus 12 bit). I tested both cables by forcing the UB900 to 4K mode which both cables could do but only the monoprice (newer and shorter length) would allow me to force the setting to (4:4:4) while the mediabridge would tap out at 4:2:2 and if it would allow me to occasionally set 4:4:4, the projector would clip audio every 10 seconds and video go in and out.
Bottom line, I can at least trust my shorter cable now for full 4K fidelity but to avoid the handshake issue, I just left all my settings in UB900 to auto - (My guess is that forcing the 4K setting on the UB900 takes another min or two before it realizes that the NF/Prime apps are 1080P. No handshake issues when playing a UHD movie, the projector and UB900 sync fairly quickly).
post #2541 of 3765 Old 04-15-2019, 08:39 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Why has it taken so damn long for BestBuy US to get these in stock? I’ve been waiting years

post #2542 of 3765 Old 04-15-2019, 08:51 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 17
All of sudden they showed up on bestbuy in Canada.. says 14 available... I will see if they will price match for 1824.00
post #2543 of 3765 Old 04-15-2019, 09:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delumine View Post
Why has it taken so damn long for BestBuy US to get these in stock? I’ve been waiting years

Production hasn’t caught up yet. If you read my post a couple above I mentioned about BenQ having some trouble with their lens supplier. The initial lens delivered did not meet BenQ’s spec. The new lens does but this has delayed availability beyond what BenQ initially planned. Believe me, BenQ is keenly aware of the market demand and they are getting units to retailers as fast as they can make them.

post #2544 of 3765 Old 04-15-2019, 10:30 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 112
After living with my replacement HT3550 for a week or so, I'd say its not very different from the first early production unit I had. The picture is a hair more sharper than the first one and I'm able to focus this one to to almost see individual pixels again in normal 4k mode if I put my face to the screen. 4k HDR nature videos are so sharp it looks like looking through a window. I don't think the iris behavior is much different and that's still my main issue with this projector. It still overreacts on brightly lit scenes causing the brightness level to "flicker" a lot more than I'd like. I've found this to occur the most on TV shows as they seem to be lit brighter, but movies aren't immune either I just tend to see it less there. I've seen several of the other bugs people have reported but would consider those annoying, but relatively minor compared to the iris behavior when restarting the projector can fix most of those other issues. The WCG filter could have been left of entirely and I don't think too many people will miss it. I liked how the colors looked on some 4k HDR nature videos on Youtube, but on film and TV content, the brightness hit just isn't worth it. If it seems like I'm complaining a lot, I want to make it clear I do like the projector but right now I feel like I'm only getting 80% of what I was hoping to when I can't use the iris most of the time. Every time I try I seem to get annoyed with it within a few minutes and turn it back off. Fix that and I'd highly recommend it to someone looking to make the 4k jump. Without that I'm not sure how much better the projector is compared to last year's cheaper models.
Wesley Hester and subacabra like this.
post #2545 of 3765 Old 04-15-2019, 10:58 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jblade44 View Post
All of sudden they showed up on bestbuy in Canada.. says 14 available... I will see if they will price match for 1824.00

Being impatient, I also pre-ordered the TK800M from BestBuy Canada. I just checked my credit card and I've been charged for both of them now. Maybe I'll get a chance to test them both out and return the one I don't want.

post #2546 of 3765 Old 04-15-2019, 11:32 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dehrig Richard View Post
Being impatient, I also pre-ordered the TK800M from BestBuy Canada. I just checked my credit card and I've been charged for both of them now. Maybe I'll get a chance to test them both out and return the one I don't want.

Did you pay 1999.00 CAD or get them to price match ?... and I thought the 800M was just a brighter version of the HT2550 so the HT3550 should be better.. no ?
post #2547 of 3765 Old 04-15-2019, 11:43 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Apologies for reposting this question but maybe it was missed with all the activity. I was hoping to use the PJ's S/PDIF audio output to send a surround audio signal to my Soundbar. At least on my Xbox, it will only allow me to configure it as HDMI stereo output and not HDMI 5.1 or bitstream. When I try selecting those I get an error that my receiver might not support it. Does the HT3550 only allow for stereo pass through? I sent a note to Benq support 6 days ago but so far crickets. Thx!
post #2548 of 3765 Old 04-15-2019, 12:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonH View Post
After living with my replacement HT3550 for a week or so, I'd say its not very different from the first early production unit I had. The picture is a hair more sharper than the first one and I'm able to focus this one to to almost see individual pixels again in normal 4k mode if I put my face to the screen. 4k HDR nature videos are so sharp it looks like looking through a window. I don't think the iris behavior is much different and that's still my main issue with this projector. It still overreacts on brightly lit scenes causing the brightness level to "flicker" a lot more than I'd like. I've found this to occur the most on TV shows as they seem to be lit brighter, but movies aren't immune either I just tend to see it less there. I've seen several of the other bugs people have reported but would consider those annoying, but relatively minor compared to the iris behavior when restarting the projector can fix most of those other issues. The WCG filter could have been left of entirely and I don't think too many people will miss it. I liked how the colors looked on some 4k HDR nature videos on Youtube, but on film and TV content, the brightness hit just isn't worth it. If it seems like I'm complaining a lot, I want to make it clear I do like the projector but right now I feel like I'm only getting 80% of what I was hoping to when I can't use the iris most of the time. Every time I try I seem to get annoyed with it within a few minutes and turn it back off. Fix that and I'd highly recommend it to someone looking to make the 4k jump. Without that I'm not sure how much better the projector is compared to last year's cheaper models.
This here about sums up my thoughts and feelings on the HT3550 as well. I've had mine for almost a week now and now that I've got it finally perfectly dialed in and it's had sufficient amount of break in time, I'm very happy I bought it. I'm just living and putting up with the flickering problem as for the most part it doesn't happen enough to bother me that much. It's kinda toeing the line of tolerance but the pros of this PJ far outweigh that con.

I'm hopeful that maybe a FW update can help with the flicker? Anyone know? I'm just used to ZERO flickering at all as my last PJ the Epson 3500 never did this.
post #2549 of 3765 Old 04-15-2019, 12:43 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by yadfgp View Post
This here about sums up my thoughts and feelings on the HT3550 as well. I've had mine for almost a week now and now that I've got it finally perfectly dialed in and it's had sufficient amount of break in time, I'm very happy I bought it. I'm just living and putting up with the flickering problem as for the most part it doesn't happen enough to bother me that much. It's kinda toeing the line of tolerance but the pros of this PJ far outweigh that con.

I'm hopeful that maybe a FW update can help with the flicker? Anyone know? I'm just used to ZERO flickering at all as my last PJ the Epson 3500 never did this.
I just had a chance to watch The Martian and Aquaman on 4K UHD last night. I asked my wife which looked better to her (WCG on or off) and we went with it on for both movies. I think the initial loss of brightness was turning me off from it over the last week I've had this projector. However, forcing myself to use WCG through our double feature I have to say that once used to it, I think it looks amazing! I went back and watched in HDR with it turned off and it looks over bright and washed out now lol. I've also been happily surprised with the black levels the 3550 achieves in my little theater room compared to the 2050 it replaced. Sci-fi movies have shown so much benefit in this regard! I suppose I'm glad I already watched A Quiet Place, because that might not fair as well with the louder fan noise haha. With my front row being right at the limit for 1080p (it's a small room, so these two are my "IMAX" seats) I am certainly seeing the benefits of the increased resolution as well. The little bugs here and there are just minor annoyances thus far and hopefully things a firmware update will take care of over time. I've decided to purchase 4K UHD discs only going forward (vs. upgrading my entire library yikes!) and do like that, by and large, I'm getting Atmos tracks on all my new movies. Some studios have been holding out on us lowly bluray collectors (looking at you Disney/Marvel/Lucasfilm!). I have to say, over all, I am quite satisfied with this purchase and hope that BenQ keeps working to get all the little things up to snuff this year... Their track record seems to indicate they will not let us down.

11ft x 13ft Theater Room w/ 2x rows of 2x Seatcraft Rialto Leather Powered Recliners
BenQ HT3550 4K XPR DLP projector w/ Silver Ticket 100" 16:9 Aspect Ratio Screen
Yamaha RX-V683BL AVR w/ Klipsch 5.2.2 Atmos Surround System
PS4 Slim, Xbox One S, Nintendo Switch, AppleTV 4K
post #2550 of 3765 Old 04-15-2019, 01:57 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jblade44 View Post
Did you pay 1999.00 CAD or get them to price match ?... and I thought the 800M was just a brighter version of the HT2550 so the HT3550 should be better.. no ?

I sent in a request for a probe match, waiting to hear back.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page