BenQ W2700 / HT3550 Announcement and Owner’s Thread - Page 87 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2342Likes

post #2581 of 4184 Old 04-17-2019, 09:04 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Finally got mine yesterday. It's not a drop in replacement for the HT2550 so now I have to move my mount forward, back to where it was for my HT2050. Not a huge deal.

Had the issue with the orientation flipping back to front each time I powered it on.

Messing with motion enhancer caused something to crash. I got half a screen with an error message at the bottom (see pic) and the only way to fix it was to pull the power cord.

Saw some weird issues others described with the screen splitting, and weird flickering of colors when changing settings or inputs on my receiver. Nothing that stuck, but still worrisome.

When playing PS4 had some strange vertical, screen-tearing-like artifacts that would randomly pop up for a split second at various places on the screen.

Put on a SBS 3D movie in Plex but the PJ would not switch to SBS mode. That could be something I am doing wrong, a setting maybe as I never tried it before (my HT2550 wouldn't allow manually 3D modes at all due to a firmware bug)

WCG filter was disappointing, even on my 120" in a fully light controlled room with triple black velvet on my walls and ceiling.

On the plus side, picture quality is fantastic. Black levels are significantly better than the HT2550, no light leakage on the ceiling is nice. I am using a fiber HDMI cable and never had any issues with the signal on my HT2550.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190417_005530.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	382.6 KB
ID:	2554394  
NxNW and subacabra like this.

7.2.4 BenQ/Marantz/HTD/Micca/SVS/Dayton
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2582 of 4184 Old 04-17-2019, 09:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by futurecode View Post
Not sure where you are looking but keep in mind that jblade44 and others are talking about Best Buy Canada ... still hasn't gone live on Best Buy US yet ... at least to my knowledge, as someone who checks multiple times daily.
I'm in Atlanta, GA so maybe its not in the USA yet.....
post #2583 of 4184 Old 04-17-2019, 09:54 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by jld071 View Post
For those of you who are lucky enough to already own this Benq w2700 what is your advice for compatible 3D glasses ?

Also what is your general feedback about watching 3D movies with this PJ ?

Thanks !
I've had my 3550 for a week now and been slowly building my movie collection. I find that I enjoy 3D over the 4k UHD in most cases. It's pretty impressive on a 120" screen.
I was researching 3D glasses for a bit and looking at the Benq DGD5's but I can't justify that price... I went with the 4 pack ELEPHAS glasses which are 1/4 the cost of the Benq's. I haven't had any de-sync issues at all. They seem to work well but I have nothing to compare them to.
So far I've watched Passengers, Avatar, The Hobbit, The Great Gatsby and Mad Max in 3D. They were all amazing but I think Avatar and Mad Max were my favorites. I also just got The Walk, Cave of Forgottten Dreams, Life of Pi, and Prometheus in 3D. They're supposed to be some pretty awesome 3D content. We'll see....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2584 of 4184 Old 04-17-2019, 10:08 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishWristWatch View Post
I've had my 3550 for a week now and been slowly building my movie collection. I find that I enjoy 3D over the 4k UHD in most cases. It's pretty impressive on a 120" screen.
I was researching 3D glasses for a bit and looking at the Benq DGD5's but I can't justify that price... I went with the 4 pack ELEPHAS glasses which are 1/4 the cost of the Benq's. I haven't had any de-sync issues at all. They seem to work well but I have nothing to compare them to.
So far I've watched Passengers, Avatar, The Hobbit, The Great Gatsby and Mad Max in 3D. They were all amazing but I think Avatar and Mad Max were my favorites. I also just got The Walk, Cave of Forgottten Dreams, Life of Pi, and Prometheus in 3D. They're supposed to be some pretty awesome 3D content. We'll see....
Tron and Avatar are particularly good 3D testing/demo movies but sweet baby Jesus watching "The Walk" in 3D was amazing! I thought it was a good movie on its own, but the 3D effect during the actual walk at the end is so cool. I think it was making my wife a bit nauseous too lol. It had me on the edge of my seat, even though we all know how it turns out haha.
IrishWristWatch likes this.

11ft x 13ft Theater Room w/ 2x rows of 2x Seatcraft Rialto Leather Powered Recliners
BenQ HT3550 4K XPR DLP projector w/ Silver Ticket 100" 16:9 Aspect Ratio Screen
Yamaha RX-V683BL AVR w/ Klipsch 5.2.2 Atmos Surround System
PS4 Slim, Xbox One S, Nintendo Switch, AppleTV 4K
post #2585 of 4184 Old 04-17-2019, 10:19 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 17
so what is the consensus (if there even is one) on WCG? When are you guys using it? Are you making other adjustments when turning it on?
post #2586 of 4184 Old 04-17-2019, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtlots View Post
Count me in as someone who also really likes the WCG filter. I'm projecting onto a relatively small 106" screen, so maybe that's part of it, but I feel the hit in brightness is slight, and the picture is still PLENTY bright.
I'm also on a 106" screen in a light controlled room. Walls are not painted dark yet, but no outside light. Are you using WCG on everything or just certain media? Are you making any other adjustments when it is on?

TIA
post #2587 of 4184 Old 04-17-2019, 10:26 AM

Liked: 1
Lightbulb

Quote:

I'm actually impatiently waiting for the delivery of my 3550 !! regarding the 3D glasses I was also interested by the Benq DGD5 which seems to have good reviews but are a bit pricey.
As I can see I can also order Elephas glasses in France on Amazon, I think I'll give it a try , thanks.
IrishWristWatch likes this.
post #2588 of 4184 Old 04-17-2019, 10:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 130
After about a week:
I finally got around to watching some 3d again. The pixel enhancer 4k setting really came to life with 3d frame packing content. I set it at 5 and got some added sharpness to the image similar to what my darbee was doing on the HT2050. I watched parts of Spider-verse, Avatar and tangled in 3d last night.

I have stopped using the WCG since for me the grayscale took on a green-blueish hue to the image to reach those deeper colors. I didn't either like the hit to lumens. When I was using WCG I had to adjust the grayscale to neutralize the turquoise tint in the higher IRE windows.

I've gone back to using Dynamic iris in normal lamp mode from using smart eco with no filter. I do get the occasional stepping in brightness with the iris on.

The next step for me is actually returning the HT3550 and stepping up to the HT5550. I was lucky enough to spend 2 hours with Scottyroo at his house last night. Very nice guy and was able to see the HT3550, HT5550 and the Epson 5050UB. I probably delayed his work on the reviews for them since he spent the evening with me instead.
scottyroo likes this.
post #2589 of 4184 Old 04-17-2019, 10:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy4theherd View Post
so what is the consensus (if there even is one) on WCG? When are you guys using it? Are you making other adjustments when turning it on?
That's a very good question, without (IMO) a consensus answer with respect to the 3550. Just when I think I have finalized settings, I revise them, again. Last night I just could not get the right effect with WCG, or Brilliant Color on/off while watching Captain America First Avenger 4K UHD. Then again, Cap is just not an HDR showcase in any sense of the phrase. Some 4K discs like Lucy and Pacific Rim you can almost do no wrong, just fiddle until you get an optimum picture. But films like Cap with the soft amber filtering (looks better than regular blu) but does not feature that "WOW" factor, retina burning, HDR. There's somewhat of a minor learning curve with the 3550, but its generally all good. After a few days with this projector (despite a few hiccups) I have no buyer's remorse and no regrets selling my 3050. It's simple enough to toggle the advanced controls on/off and determine what looks best to you.
post #2590 of 4184 Old 04-17-2019, 10:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Glad to hear the 3D is solid on the 3550. However since the projector defaults to 1080p mode (no XPR) for 3D, one would get better price/performance for 3D with the recent 1080p generation projectors with higher lumens and better native contrast (maybe tiny bit less coverage of rec 709). If you could activate CFI in 3D that might be a sweet bonus to the 3550 but overall it's 4K/HDR capability is the selling point.

Derek
post #2591 of 4184 Old 04-17-2019, 11:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Quoted: 2635 Post(s)
Liked: 2580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaded21 View Post
Finally got mine yesterday. It's not a drop in replacement for the HT2550 so now I have to move my mount forward, back to where it was for my HT2050. Not a huge deal.

Had the issue with the orientation flipping back to front each time I powered it on.

Messing with motion enhancer caused something to crash. I got half a screen with an error message at the bottom (see pic) and the only way to fix it was to pull the power cord.

Saw some weird issues others described with the screen splitting, and weird flickering of colors when changing settings or inputs on my receiver. Nothing that stuck, but still worrisome.

When playing PS4 had some strange vertical, screen-tearing-like artifacts that would randomly pop up for a split second at various places on the screen.

Put on a SBS 3D movie in Plex but the PJ would not switch to SBS mode. That could be something I am doing wrong, a setting maybe as I never tried it before (my HT2550 wouldn't allow manually 3D modes at all due to a firmware bug)

WCG filter was disappointing, even on my 120" in a fully light controlled room with triple black velvet on my walls and ceiling.

On the plus side, picture quality is fantastic. Black levels are significantly better than the HT2550, no light leakage on the ceiling is nice. I am using a fiber HDMI cable and never had any issues with the signal on my HT2550.

If your source flips between HDR and SDR it’s possible the “screen tearing” you are seeing is the projector switching between it’s picture modes. This can be especially noticeable if one picture mode has the WCG filter in place and the other doesn’t.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
post #2592 of 4184 Old 04-17-2019, 12:07 PM

Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by derek View Post
Glad to hear the 3D is solid on the 3550. However since the projector defaults to 1080p mode (no XPR) for 3D, one would get better price/performance for 3D with the recent 1080p generation projectors with higher lumens and better native contrast (maybe tiny bit less coverage of rec 709). If you could activate CFI in 3D that might be a sweet bonus to the 3550 but overall it's 4K/HDR capability is the selling point.
Yes that's true. I came from an old Optoma HD72 1080i projector so it was a big leap. Don't get me wrong, I got it for the 4k HDR capability which is outstanding. Planet Earth II bleew me away. There's definitely a drop in lumens when in 3D but I have complete control of my lighting so I get used to it
post #2593 of 4184 Old 04-17-2019, 01:22 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bachelor View Post
The next step for me is actually returning the HT3550 and stepping up to the HT5550. I was lucky enough to spend 2 hours with Scottyroo at his house last night. Very nice guy and was able to see the HT3550, HT5550 and the Epson 5050UB. I probably delayed his work on the reviews for them since he spent the evening with me instead.
So after seeing all 3 you decided on the HT5550 because of picture quality or did price play a role? I've been back and forth on the Epson and HT5550 all week trying to find a concrete reason to pull the trigger on either.
post #2594 of 4184 Old 04-17-2019, 03:57 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Quote:

Having troubles as well with HSBS 3D movies via Plex media server. Projector will not switch into 3D mode even after choosing the picks from menu. I had no issues with this on my W1070 projector, same exact setup. Any thoughts why this could be?
post #2595 of 4184 Old 04-17-2019, 04:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1596 Post(s)
Liked: 4659
Hi everyone. Got home from a long day at work and did a quick video with initial start up and menu navigation, as well as hdr mode engaging. (Ambient light as well in room)
Still waiting for the video quality to ramp up on YouTube but here it is.
post #2596 of 4184 Old 04-17-2019, 04:56 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busa View Post
So after seeing all 3 you decided on the HT5550 because of picture quality or did price play a role? I've been back and forth on the Epson and HT5550 all week trying to find a concrete reason to pull the trigger on either.

Better blacks for epson
similiar colours
better sharpnesss for benq

better price for benq
better input lag for epson
better looking and size for benq

twice the pixels on benq(noticable on bigger screens)

personally i went for the benq ht5550 since input lag doesnt bother me too much i already game with 60ms

Just my 2 cents ... also i might be missign a few benefits for either im sure someone else will know
DunMunro likes this.

BenQ W5700 | XY Screen 120" ALR Black Crystal - Gain 2.0 | Xbox one X | Soundbar
post #2597 of 4184 Old 04-17-2019, 05:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by file8761 View Post
Quote:

Having troubles as well with HSBS 3D movies via Plex media server. Projector will not switch into 3D mode even after choosing the picks from menu. I had no issues with this on my W1070 projector, same exact setup. Any thoughts why this could be?
Change the resolution on your source to be 1080p.
Spaded21 likes this.
post #2598 of 4184 Old 04-17-2019, 05:24 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineMoshka View Post
personally i went for the benq ht5550 since input lag doesnt bother me too much i already game with 60ms
I don't game so the lag doesn't bother me either. I saw the epson is big but it's only a couple inches larger in all directions than my current PT-AE8000 so I could live with the size. It's mainly the blacks that I'm pondering and whether I want to pay an extra $500 for that, then also another $500 for the UB820 since people are reporting it's needed with the epson for better tone mapping. At $3500 we're almost talking X790/RS540 territory as far as price is concerned.
post #2599 of 4184 Old 04-17-2019, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busa View Post
I don't game so the lag doesn't bother me either. I saw the epson is big but it's only a couple inches larger in all directions than my current PT-AE8000 so I could live with the size. It's mainly the blacks that I'm pondering and whether I want to pay an extra $500 for that, then also another $500 for the UB820 since people are reporting it's needed with the epson for better tone mapping. At $3500 we're almost talking X790/RS540 territory as far as price is concerned.

Also the Benq does have a few firmware issues and bugs ... but i have no doubts benq will iron those out. I think its soemthign to do with android software beign used or the new feature to update firmware via usb.

Also in all honesty the epson should be marketed as 2k enhancement. Yes it accepts full 4k signal but its only putting out double 1080p. Some 1080p projectors accept 4k signal but they dont market themselves as a 4k projector, its a little bit of juju magic from epson here.

The question is.... if Epson could scale up twice and offer full 4k would their blacks and lag time still be as good ? i think not. I think they are keeping it at 1080p x2 for a reason. They say its because the viewer wont notice a difference but i do ... the ht5550 is sharper and anythign above 120 close up its noticeable
Busa likes this.

BenQ W5700 | XY Screen 120" ALR Black Crystal - Gain 2.0 | Xbox one X | Soundbar

Last edited by DivineMoshka; 04-17-2019 at 06:03 PM.
post #2600 of 4184 Old 04-17-2019, 06:06 PM

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 81
The Epson marketing is just flat out lying. If you're not throwing up the 8mil plus pixels on the screen you shouldn't be able to market it as 4k beyond it accepting a 4k signal.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk
dreamer and DivineMoshka like this.
post #2601 of 4184 Old 04-17-2019, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbpaddler View Post
The Epson marketing is just flat out lying. If you're not throwing up the 8mil plus pixels on the screen you shouldn't be able to market it as 4k beyond it accepting a 4k signal.

Most projector vendor websites under the 4k section the epsons appear... How did they get away with this.

When monitors are sold as 2k they are full 2k not shifting from 1080p and they would never be allowed to be in the 4k section. Its a smooth move from epson tbh.

post #2602 of 4184 Old 04-17-2019, 07:17 PM

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineMoshka View Post
Most projector vendor websites under the 4k section the epsons appear... How did they get away with this.

When monitors are sold as 2k they are full 2k not shifting from 1080p and they would never be allowed to be in the 4k section. Its a smooth move from epson tbh.
Smooth for them but bad form for the people, review bloggers and sites and such for not making a bigger stink about it.

At least what Tmo was calling their hspda service 4g, at least their speeds backed it up when people were generally referring to LTE and wimax when talking about 4g.

post #2603 of 4184 Old 04-17-2019, 08:52 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Anyone have a set of 3D Mode settings that produce better colors than the stock? I'm seeing a bit of green twinge on the default and I couldn't shake it to my satisfaction thus far...
post #2604 of 4184 Old 04-18-2019, 01:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bachelor View Post
The next step for me is actually returning the HT3550 and stepping up to the HT5550.

You got my full attention here. Can you please tell us your reason?

BTW, I think there is an AVS member in the HT5550 thread who seems to have misinterpreted the HT5550's lens shift range and would probably be better off with an HT3550...

"It is only about things that do not interest one that one can give a really unbiased opinion, which is no doubt the reason why an unbiased opinion is always absolutely valueless." Oscar Wilde
post #2605 of 4184 Old 04-18-2019, 04:49 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfelicio View Post
It's showing in stock with 5 available. I think you'll get it! Keep us posted on the results!
Yipeee!! Showing shipped today... guess I wont get today though .. will call them for tracking info a little later in day ..

Last edited by jblade44; 04-18-2019 at 05:05 AM.
post #2606 of 4184 Old 04-18-2019, 06:05 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
For anyone that ordered via Amazon, got notification last night that my unit will arrive tomorrow!
post #2607 of 4184 Old 04-18-2019, 06:09 AM

Having an issue that seems to have just popped up when using an Amazon Fire stick 4k. Sometimes (~50%) when I power on the projector and the fire stick I get off colors that keep switching back and forth from normal.the only solution has been to shut down and restart. This is a PITA because it takes a couple of minutes for the projector to fully shutdown and then startup again. I've only had this happen with the Fire stick.

Anyone else?
post #2608 of 4184 Old 04-18-2019, 08:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Planning on buying this BenQ HT3550 for a dedicated home theatre setup in the basement of a new house. Does anyone have any recommendations for a screen to go with it? Fully dark room. It'll be on a faux wall with dark curtains behind, so I need a ceiling-mounted pull-down (either manual or motorized) 100" to 106".

Huge price difference between models, not many grey or silver options I thought have been better than "cinema white" for contrast, so I'm not sure where to begin.

Also, what were the major improvements of the BenQ 3550 over last year's 2550?

Thanks!
post #2609 of 4184 Old 04-18-2019, 09:00 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Is anybody else having an occasional drop out while watching 4K HDR material? I have swapped out to a Monoprice fiber optic HDMI cable going to the projector from my AVR on a 30ft run. I have also upgraded the cable on my Sony UBP-X800 with 18Gbps 4K HDR capable picture. It starts not having any issues at all then roughly 30 minutes into a movie it will drop the picture, scan, pick the picture up again then carry on for another 20-30 minutes. My audio never drops, just the picture. This doesn't seem to happen with HD content, so far it is exclusive UHD with HDR. Tonight I plan to try other inputs and see if I can replicate it. Does anybody have ideas or insight they could share?

AVR - Denon AVR-X4300H & NAD C 375BEE
Fronts - Magnepan MG12/QR / Center - Magnepan MGCC2
Satellites - 6 Monoprice Black Back 6.5 /Sub - SVS PB-1000
PRJ - BenQ HT3550 / SCN - SilverTicket STR-16992
Sources - Switch/PS4/Sony UBP-X800/Thorens TD166 MKII/Austin Audioworks Black Swan
post #2610 of 4184 Old 04-18-2019, 09:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Quoted: 2635 Post(s)
Liked: 2580
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfan View Post
Planning on buying this BenQ HT3550 for a dedicated home theatre setup in the basement of a new house. Does anyone have any recommendations for a screen to go with it? Fully dark room. It'll be on a faux wall with dark curtains behind, so I need a ceiling-mounted pull-down (either manual or motorized) 100" to 106".

Huge price difference between models, not many grey or silver options I thought have been better than "cinema white" for contrast, so I'm not sure where to begin.

Also, what were the major improvements of the BenQ 3550 over last year's 2550?

Thanks!

Both myself and Scottyroo have written full reviewed for this model. I specifically reference the HT2550 in my review and you can read my full review of the HT2550 back to back with the Ht3550 to see how I felt it compares. (They aren’t very long).

In short: the HT3550 is a significant improvement in every single area besides input lag.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page