BenQ W2700 / HT3550 Announcement and Owner’s Thread - Page 91 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2349Likes

post #2701 of 4202 Old 04-24-2019, 07:27 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 108
I don't have flicker issue with Dynamic Iris on, in some high contrast scene may be will flick once or twice but not too much annoying.
But I can't focus perfectly on left and right edge of the screen.

Anthony Chan
AV Blog: http://www.avnewbie.com
System: 5.3.4
Panasonic DMP-UB900EBK, Egreat A5, Anthem AVM60, Krell KAV2250 X 2, Theater Amplifier Standard, M&K S-150 X 5, SS150 X 4, Martin Logan Descent-i and Thiel SS 2, SS2.2 and SI 1 Integrator, Benq HT1075, JK 126" Fixed Screen N4-FL/W1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2702 of 4202 Old 04-25-2019, 03:59 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 195
For those with Logitech universal remotes, I submitted codes I learned from the HT3550 remote and just received this notice:

"Thank you for your patience, I just received the feedback from our Product Management Team saying that your BenQ HT3550 is now available in our database. Please try adding your device and check if it works accordingly"
post #2703 of 4202 Old 04-25-2019, 05:46 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtlots View Post
For those with Logitech universal remotes, I submitted codes I learned from the HT3550 remote and just received this notice:

"Thank you for your patience, I just received the feedback from our Product Management Team saying that your BenQ HT3550 is now available in our database. Please try adding your device and check if it works accordingly"
Oh nice, so did their codes for the HT3550 work out for you? I hadn't gotten around to learning everything manually and have been using the HT2550's codes in the mean time.

11ft x 13ft Theater Room w/ 2x rows of 2x Seatcraft Rialto Leather Powered Recliners
BenQ HT3550 4K XPR DLP projector w/ Silver Ticket 100" 16:9 Aspect Ratio Screen
Yamaha RX-V683BL AVR w/ Klipsch 5.2.2 Atmos Surround System
PS4 Slim, Xbox One S, Nintendo Switch, AppleTV 4K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2704 of 4202 Old 04-25-2019, 06:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdupuis77 View Post
Oh nice, so did their codes for the HT3550 work out for you? I hadn't gotten around to learning everything manually and have been using the HT2550's codes in the mean time.
LOL, I haven't tried yet. I just got the email this morning. I was also using the HT2550 codes. I learned codes that are unique to the HT3550, deleted the codes from the HT2550 that no longer applied, and then submitted that. I would imagine that the "new" 3550 codes are a match to what I have in my Harmony 950.
post #2705 of 4202 Old 04-25-2019, 06:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 2638 Post(s)
Liked: 2584
Quote:
Originally Posted by chhanthony View Post
Hi,

1. Usually, I won't use movement enhancer, but for the entry level DLP projector, this function will make the image more stable,

and more POP, sharper and more contrast, I even force the player output 60P to watch 24P movie.

As I FEEL it is a little bit brighter and I need more lumen to watch UHD movie with filter on,

it is may not a proper way but a compromise.

2. As an ISF certified calibrator I would say each environment should have individual setting, on the other hand,

many user wish the reviewer can share the setting as they might not have the equipment to calibrate their display.

The user may treat this as a starting point and have their own fine tune.

So I’ve been away for a week on a cruise ship— and didn’t spring for the WiFi because that’s half the reason I need to go on vacation— so I’m still catching up.

Anthony, I appreciate all your input and you seem super knowledgeable. However, you’ve mentioned this a couple of times and I know Scott has asked you about this and now it seems I am as well. I see no change, either negative or positive, in color, contrast or brightness when the MEMC function is enabled. Further, you’re the only person that I’ve heard from who has made such a claim. No other reviewer or owner that I’ve read has had an experience similar. Which, really, should be correct as the MEMC function should only be effecting motion handling (and possibly color but the MEMC on the BenQ is pretty good here in NOT doing that). Are you sure you haven’t inadvertently adjusted some other function, possibly during your calibration, that might be effecting this change and are simply crediting it to the MEMC?

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
post #2706 of 4202 Old 04-25-2019, 07:34 AM

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Hi home4sale2,

Sorry for late reply, I received you PM but I can't attach photo on it so that I post here.

I can output 4K 24P 4:4:4 12 bit or 4K 60P 4:2:2 12 bit to HT3550 with these setting.

I am forcing the player output 60P as it FEEL bright than 24P when I watching UHD movies with filter on.
Thank you, I feel the projector seems to sync faster if I change the video format setting from Auto to 4K but I have also played around with some other settings (like turning off the auto source on the projector). I'll return back to Auto (i.e. only change this one setting so as not to get lost in what I changed and what I didn't and see if it makes a difference. Appreciate the tip on 24p off, will have to try that out.

I feel for the most part, my setup is settling, i.e. I have figured out the nuances of my setup. I may have to make my projected screen smaller. Either I am watching way too much content (on a weekday nonetheless which I usually never did on my old projector) or I have to tweak some other settings (like reduce the screen size) as I woke up with a slight headache this morning with eye strain. I'll walk the dog longer for a change tonight and give these eyes a rest.
chhanthony likes this.
post #2707 of 4202 Old 04-25-2019, 07:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Alexander View Post
Hey All,

Another poor soul who got one of the Friday delivery batch of HT3550s from Amazon. Mine is showing [what I believe is] an unacceptable blue blur off any high contrast location. I've attached a few images. The small grid is my HT2050, the large grid is the HT3550 at the same draw distance, screen size. For reference I have a 150" Silver Ticket 1.05 gain screen. Messing with the zoom/keystone/ sharpness setting doesn't seem to do anything to fix this problem. I was approved for an RMA with amazon, but I thought I'd check and see if you guys had any ideas of how it could just be my fault.

I run my AV system through a denon receiver, with a fairly long HDMI cable. I irregularly see some artifacts that (If I were to keep this I'd be upgrading to optical.) However, to test if it was my path I connected a chromecast directly to the HT3550, and still see the effect. I also see it in menus etc, but someone on the PJ subreddit suggested that's more normal than seeing it in content. Ultra BD content also has the issue from my samsung player.

Ultimately, I'm wondering if this is the quo for this product, or if I should try again with a different unit. I'm currently very discouraged, as I was very excited for the HT3550 after reviews here started coming in.

Not sure if you ever got a response to this.

What you are seeing is something called chromatic aberration. It is an issue with the lens. While it is not uncommon on projectors in this price range, especially short throw projectors like this BenQ, your example seems to exhibit it worse than most. A replacement would be appropriate.

Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

post #2708 of 4202 Old 04-25-2019, 08:39 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Using an AppleTV 4K, almost all the 4K content I've tried so far on Netflix comes up as BT2020 WCG. There is a noticeable switch and a click from the projector every time I start something in 4K and I immediately see it in wide color gamut. Off the top of my head, so far I've seen this watching Planet Earth II, Lost in Space (the new Netflix series) and DeathNote (Also Netflix "Original").
Thx for the help .. I was able to do a little more testing.. seems the only device I can get HDR10 BT2020 is my 4K Firestick when plugged directly in back..I do get HDR10 when firestick plugged into AVR but it toggles from HDR HD to HDR Ultra on the Firestick so I suspect I have some cabling issues...but I also tried connecting miBox3 directly to projector and not getting HDR output... so not sure what is going on with that... anyone have a mibox3 working for HDR10 ?
post #2709 of 4202 Old 04-25-2019, 11:27 AM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I took delivery of my projector yesterday. Here are my initial impressions and comparisons. The projector is replacing a 6 year old Sony 4K LCD Passive 3D TV, which was around $5K retail when new. The room has a lot of ambient light during the day, but no direct sunlight on the screen, and light grey walls.

As expected, during the day the image is very washed out. Bright or colorful scenes look fine, but there is no black to speak of. Black levels during the day were much better on the TV. OTOH, the reflective surface of the TV was essentially a mirror during the day, so it's an improvement to not be watching myself as much as the TV. This one is a draw for me. At night with some lights still on, black levels are better than the TV. The Sony TV being LCD with local dimming never had great blacks to start. It also had some hot-spotting and a pronounced halo effect on scenes with high contrast. Black levels on the projector are simliar or better, with none of the problems.

I can't comment on the noise level. I can hear it, but right now the A/C is louder. As others have mentioned, there is a very loud click when switching to HDR material, but I've noticed no other strange sounds.

Speaking of HDR, I have also frequently had the half&half issue when playing HDR material. Changing inputs, toggling HDR, or restarting the projector will fix it, although I found one video on youtube that triggers it 100% of the time. This seems like a firware issue, so I'm hopeful it will be fixed soon. Since I just received mine, I'm guessing I've got a projector from the second batch, so I expect almost everyone will have this problem.

Dynamic Iris is not good. The frequent, but slow, change in brightness is annoying and I don't see much improvement in black level either. IMHO, this feature is not ready for prime-time. Thankfully it's easy to turn off.

I thought I was having the issue that someone else mentioned about the projector not remembering orientation, but then I realized it was saving the setting per-input, so switching to the the other HDMI input would cause the setting to revert back to default. The problem went away after setting orientation on both inputs.

I'm sensitive to RBE. It's considerably better in that regard to my last 1x DLP projector, but I still see it occsionally. It's not enough to bother me, though. As for 3D, I'm still waiting for glasses to arrive, so no comments there.

Overall picture quality is fantastic. It blows away the old TV on HDR material. So overall it's better or at least not worse than the TV in every aspect except noise level.
Wesley Hester and sage11x like this.
post #2710 of 4202 Old 04-25-2019, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Quoted: 613 Post(s)
Liked: 813
Mainstream praise of HT3550

https://gizmodo.com/we-found-the-hom...-it-1834254369

"The Bunker" | Dedicated Theater Build Under Suspended Slab Garage
Testing: BenQ HT5550 | Epson 5050UB | 160" Dragonfly™ Fixed AT Screen
Denon X6300H | 9.4.4 (7.2.4 Discrete) | 9x Episode 900 Series LCR/Surrounds | 4x Episode 1700 Series ATMOS Heights | 4x Episode 12" Evo Subs
Sony X700 | Xbox One X | NVIDIA Shield TV
post #2711 of 4202 Old 04-25-2019, 12:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Issues aside, would this be a good replacement for the w1070?

I'm currently using the w1070 in a room that has a decent amount of ambient light. I was aiming for something brighter but if the ht3550 is at least just as bright it might work for me.

I'm going to wait until some of these issues are ironed out but I'm nervous on how long the wait will be for the release of the brighter variant of the ht3550.

Note: I was looking into the tk800m originally but my projector mount is about a 12 inches too far forward to fill my 100" screen and I really don't want to move my mount.
post #2712 of 4202 Old 04-25-2019, 01:04 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTvMan View Post
Issues aside, would this be a good replacement for the w1070?

I'm currently using the w1070 in a room that has a decent amount of ambient light. I was aiming for something brighter but if the ht3550 is at least just as bright it might work for me.

I'm going to wait until some of these issues are ironed out but I'm nervous on how long the wait will be for the release of the brighter variant of the ht3550.

Note: I was looking into the tk800m originally but my projector mount is about a 12 inches too far forward to fill my 100" screen and I really don't want to move my mount.

I personally find HT3550 too dim. I have most ambient light under control, but even leaving one light on behind the projector too much. I switched it out for the TK800M and find it much more to my liking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
chhanthony and TheTvMan like this.
post #2713 of 4202 Old 04-25-2019, 01:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dehrig Richard View Post
I personally find HT3550 too dim. I have most ambient light under control, but even leaving one light on behind the projector too much. I switched it out for the TK800M and find it much more to my liking.

For some reason I found this post hilarious.

Not poking fun but leaving lights on is pretty much the definition of not having ambient light under control.
dreamer, TheTvMan, ng4ever and 1 others like this.

post #2714 of 4202 Old 04-25-2019, 01:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

BenQ W2700 / HT3550 Announcement and Owner’s Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyroo View Post

Nice find, Scott, but parts of that article are super cringe-y. I especially like when they say not to spend less than $1000 because every projector in that range has a muddy, dim and washed out image.

post #2715 of 4202 Old 04-25-2019, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Quoted: 613 Post(s)
Liked: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
Nice find, Scott, but parts of that article are super cringe-y. I especially like when they say not to spend less than $1000 because every projector in that range has a muddy, dim and washed out image.

Did you expect anything less (or more)? Haha
sage11x and ng4ever like this.

"The Bunker" | Dedicated Theater Build Under Suspended Slab Garage
Testing: BenQ HT5550 | Epson 5050UB | 160" Dragonfly™ Fixed AT Screen
Denon X6300H | 9.4.4 (7.2.4 Discrete) | 9x Episode 900 Series LCR/Surrounds | 4x Episode 1700 Series ATMOS Heights | 4x Episode 12" Evo Subs
Sony X700 | Xbox One X | NVIDIA Shield TV
post #2716 of 4202 Old 04-25-2019, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtlots View Post
LOL, I haven't tried yet. I just got the email this morning. I was also using the HT2550 codes. I learned codes that are unique to the HT3550, deleted the codes from the HT2550 that no longer applied, and then submitted that. I would imagine that the "new" 3550 codes are a match to what I have in my Harmony 950.
Haha, how nice of "Logitech" to do all that work for us! Thanks, I'll have to try those codes out. When I removed my HT2050A and replaced it with the 2550 codes (for the HT3550) it completely screwed all my macros and I had to re-do them. I'm thinking I might wipe the hub and start fresh. But otherwise, this remote's a life saver! There's a nice pile of remotes in my closet lol.

11ft x 13ft Theater Room w/ 2x rows of 2x Seatcraft Rialto Leather Powered Recliners
post #2717 of 4202 Old 04-25-2019, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
I took delivery of my projector yesterday. Here are my initial impressions and comparisons. The projector is replacing a 6 year old Sony 4K LCD Passive 3D TV, which was around $5K retail when new. The room has a lot of ambient light during the day, but no direct sunlight on the screen, and light grey walls.

As expected, during the day the image is very washed out. Bright or colorful scenes look fine, but there is no black to speak of. Black levels during the day were much better on the TV. OTOH, the reflective surface of the TV was essentially a mirror during the day, so it's an improvement to not be watching myself as much as the TV. This one is a draw for me. At night with some lights still on, black levels are better than the TV. The Sony TV being LCD with local dimming never had great blacks to start. It also had some hot-spotting and a pronounced halo effect on scenes with high contrast. Black levels on the projector are simliar or better, with none of the problems.

I can't comment on the noise level. I can hear it, but right now the A/C is louder. As others have mentioned, there is a very loud click when switching to HDR material, but I've noticed no other strange sounds.

Speaking of HDR, I have also frequently had the half&half issue when playing HDR material. Changing inputs, toggling HDR, or restarting the projector will fix it, although I found one video on youtube that triggers it 100% of the time. This seems like a firware issue, so I'm hopeful it will be fixed soon. Since I just received mine, I'm guessing I've got a projector from the second batch, so I expect almost everyone will have this problem.

Dynamic Iris is not good. The frequent, but slow, change in brightness is annoying and I don't see much improvement in black level either. IMHO, this feature is not ready for prime-time. Thankfully it's easy to turn off.

I thought I was having the issue that someone else mentioned about the projector not remembering orientation, but then I realized it was saving the setting per-input, so switching to the the other HDMI input would cause the setting to revert back to default. The problem went away after setting orientation on both inputs.

I'm sensitive to RBE. It's considerably better in that regard to my last 1x DLP projector, but I still see it occsionally. It's not enough to bother me, though. As for 3D, I'm still waiting for glasses to arrive, so no comments there.

Overall picture quality is fantastic. It blows away the old TV on HDR material. So overall it's better or at least not worse than the TV in every aspect except noise level.
Thanks for your general review Brian. I am liking this projector. I do wonder how you get the Dynamic Iris (DI) to be more prime time. I do notice the change but any DI implementation is reactionary. Even my eyes take a while to focus if I switch from bright to dark and back. Unless this instruction set is built into the source material, I don't know how much faster a newer projector will be able to react. Maybe, analogous to MEMC which continues to improve, better Iris reaction handling to normalize the behavior (balance of aggressiveness and slow to respond)?
post #2718 of 4202 Old 04-25-2019, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by home4sale2 View Post
Thank you, I feel the projector seems to sync faster if I change the video format setting from Auto to 4K but I have also played around with some other settings (like turning off the auto source on the projector). I'll return back to Auto (i.e. only change this one setting so as not to get lost in what I changed and what I didn't and see if it makes a difference. Appreciate the tip on 24p off, will have to try that out.

I feel for the most part, my setup is settling, i.e. I have figured out the nuances of my setup. I may have to make my projected screen smaller. Either I am watching way too much content (on a weekday nonetheless which I usually never did on my old projector) or I have to tweak some other settings (like reduce the screen size) as I woke up with a slight headache this morning with eye strain. I'll walk the dog longer for a change tonight and give these eyes a rest.
To add, Anthony, have you tested any apps on this player and able to get BT2020 on it?
post #2719 of 4202 Old 04-25-2019, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
So I’ve been away for a week on a cruise ship— and didn’t spring for the WiFi because that’s half the reason I need to go on vacation— so I’m still catching up.

Anthony, I appreciate all your input and you seem super knowledgeable. However, you’ve mentioned this a couple of times and I know Scott has asked you about this and now it seems I am as well. I see no change, either negative or positive, in color, contrast or brightness when the MEMC function is enabled. Further, you’re the only person that I’ve heard from who has made such a claim. No other reviewer or owner that I’ve read has had an experience similar. Which, really, should be correct as the MEMC function should only be effecting motion handling (and possibly color but the MEMC on the BenQ is pretty good here in NOT doing that). Are you sure you haven’t inadvertently adjusted some other function, possibly during your calibration, that might be effecting this change and are simply crediting it to the MEMC?
Hi Sage11x

As I said I just FEEL but not by measurement the contrast has been improve by using Movement Enhancer,
this FEELING may be came from the soap opera effect, I am not try to convince anyone to use this function,
the users may compare on and off by themselves.

On the other hand, I have lip sync issue with Movement Enhancer on when setting 24P and it will solve if I force to output 60P.

Again, as an calibrator, I know this function as be avoided, but I just can't live it HT3550 without this function.

Anthony Chan
Panasonic DMP-UB900EBK, Egreat A5, Anthem AVM60, Krell KAV2250 X 2, Theater Amplifier Standard, M&K S-150 X 5, SS150 X 4, Martin Logan Descent-i and Thiel SS 2, SS2.2 and SI 1 Integrator, Benq HT1075, JK 126" Fixed Screen N4-FL/W1
post #2720 of 4202 Old 04-25-2019, 09:27 PM

Quote:
To add, Anthony, have you tested any apps on this player and able to get BT2020 on it?
I only try Netflix in UB900 to play some HDR movie.

Anthony Chan
post #2721 of 4202 Old 04-25-2019, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Hi Sage11x

As I said I just FEEL but not by measurement the contrast has been improve by using Movement Enhancer,

this FEELING may be came from the soap opera effect, I am not try to convince anyone to use this function,

the users may compare on and off by themselves.

On the other hand, I have lip sync issue with Movement Enhancer on when setting 24P and it will solve if I force to output 60P.

Again, as an calibrator, I know this function as be avoided, but I just can't live it HT3550 without this function.

Hi Anthony, I had lip sync issues with my ub900 and 3550 when I did a video out to 3550 and audio to my AVR, approx 150ms offset cured that problem in ub900. I have since gone with a 6 foot mono price from ub900 AV out to AVR and 15 foot monoprice to 3550. My issue was my short non certified cable.

Most every problem I encountered so far has been due to cables. I’m also getting bt2020 from UB900 Netflix and Prime Apps. Golden!

post #2722 of 4202 Old 04-26-2019, 12:28 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I was so excited to get my first ever projector HT3550, but when i read all the problems and issues here and there
its just make me think is the HT3550 worth my money ? I think BenQ need to work on quality control this is not cool at all. when someone pay 1500$ its mean he want a Quality is that hard ?
I just hope the next stock will be much better or at least its run good without all these issues especially in HDR
post #2723 of 4202 Old 04-26-2019, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Hi Anthony, I had lip sync issues with my ub900 and 3550 when I did a video out to 3550 and audio to my AVR, approx 150ms offset cured that problem in ub900. I have since gone with a 6 foot mono price from ub900 AV out to AVR and 15 foot monoprice to 3550. My issue was my short non certified cable.

Most every problem I encountered so far has been due to cables. I’m also getting bt2020 from UB900 Netflix and Prime Apps. Golden!

Hi home4sale,

Thank you for your information, I haven't split out the audio and video from UB900,
the lip sync issues appear in my UB900 and Zidoo Z9S,
the difficulty is the lip sync issues are not consistent, the video will delay and then catch up again, delay and catch up again.

Anthony Chan
post #2724 of 4202 Old 04-26-2019, 02:59 AM

In case any of you guys try and watch “The Martian: Extended Edition” (great visual Demo for this projector by the way!) and end up having lip sync issues... it is the UHD disc and not your projector. Sure enough I tried playing It on a friend’s setup and same problems, about every 15 minutes or so it goes out of sync until you restart playback. This thing was making me nuts trying to figure out what was wrong with my projector or player. The theatrical cut on the UHD plays perfectly fine though, as does everything on the standard bluray. Oh well, it was $10 I suppose. Internet sleuthing confirmed this is a known issue apparently. Any of you guys seen this? wah wah waaaahahaha.

post #2725 of 4202 Old 04-26-2019, 04:33 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Just got the 3550 directly from BenQ. Was able to project it against the wall ( still getting room setup) and didn’t have any issues. Grid pattern looked good. WCG def looked greenish so I’ll leave it off ( unless that’s not normal).

Really excited to try it out in a dark room.

Also had the TK800M which was def brighter but since I’ll have a dark room (and be using it for backyard every now and then) it’s going back today.

post #2726 of 4202 Old 04-26-2019, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gib6717 View Post
Just got the 3550 directly from BenQ. Was able to project it against the wall ( still getting room setup) and didn’t have any issues. Grid pattern looked good. WCG def looked greenish so I’ll leave it off ( unless that’s not normal).

Also had the TK800M which was def brighter but since I’ll have a dark room (and be using it for backyard every now and then) it’s going back today.

At first I thought WCG on looked weird too. After a week of messing around, I asked my wife and some of my friends which one looked better, going back and forth, with a couple of UHDs. They all said WCG looked more natural/lifelike. So after forcing myself to leave it on for 5 or 6 movies now, I really like it. Going back looks brighter but kind of washed out to me now. I notice WCG seemed to make the biggest difference to me with water like in Planet Earth II or all of Aquaman look significantly better in wide color to me.

post #2727 of 4202 Old 04-26-2019, 05:45 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gib6717 View Post

When you have WCG on I would suggest making sure brilliant color is off, this usually remove the green tilt for me.
post #2728 of 4202 Old 04-26-2019, 06:17 AM

Quote:
In case any of you guys try and watch “The Martian: Extended Edition” (great visual Demo for this projector by the way!) and end up having lip sync issues... it is the UHD disc and not your projector. Sure enough I tried playing It on a friend’s setup and same problems, about every 15 minutes or so it goes out of sync until you restart playback. This thing was making me nuts trying to figure out what was wrong with my projector or player. The theatrical cut on the UHD plays perfectly fine though, as does everything on the standard bluray. Oh well, it was $10 I suppose. Internet sleuthing confirmed this is a known issue apparently. Any of you guys seen this? wah wah waaaahahaha.

I’ll have to watch the extended edition some time. That happens to be my test movie as I have tweaked around the 3550. I had lip sync issues due to my source and AVR which are no longer an issue due to recabling. I realize a lot of folks are having issues but I’m digging this projector now that I have most problems ironed out which in my case was usually not the projector. It still could benefit from an update to firmware which we all know is in the works or the second batch.

My advice, keep your cable lengths short, buy certified cables like Monoprice or go fiber if your budget allows. If you’re not prepared to do that and cost conscious then buy a 1080p projector. I was pulling my hair out and it was all cables, source, this that or the other.

Last edited by home4sale2; 04-26-2019 at 07:39 AM.
post #2729 of 4202 Old 04-26-2019, 08:02 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jblade44 View Post
Thx for the help .. I was able to do a little more testing.. seems the only device I can get HDR10 BT2020 is my 4K Firestick when plugged directly in back..I do get HDR10 when firestick plugged into AVR but it toggles from HDR HD to HDR Ultra on the Firestick so I suspect I have some cabling issues...but I also tried connecting miBox3 directly to projector and not getting HDR output... so not sure what is going on with that... anyone have a mibox3 working for HDR10 ?
Was able to try some more things last night.. I am getting HDR10 from Xbox Netflix as well as Firestick but still can't get HDR from the MiBox3... used same cables that working devices use and no go.. so must be issue with MiBox...tried every combination of output on the Mibox as well...

Anyone getting HDR10 out of a MiBox3 with the HT3550?
post #2730 of 4202 Old 04-26-2019, 08:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicQ8 View Post
I was so excited to get my first ever projector HT3550, but when i read all the problems and issues here and there
its just make me think is the HT3550 worth my money ? I think BenQ need to work on quality control this is not cool at all. when someone pay 1500$ its mean he want a Quality is that hard ?
I just hope the next stock will be much better or at least its run good without all these issues especially in HDR
Certainly very valid points and concerns. And yes, $1,500 is a lot of money to most people. A consumer dropping that amount of coin has every reason to expect A/V gear to just simply work. Conversely, I would offer that today's home electronics are exceedingly sophisticated. So much so as being to the manufacturer's detriment. It's a simple fact that these products today are works in progress. Like it or not they are dynamic and not static devices. No different than an iPhone, Windows 10 PC, PS4, an Atmos surround audio receiver, Nest t-stat, or the CPU that controls your SUV engine, etc. Modern electronic equipment is not brought to market in a completed state. Its being updated regularly and often these updates create new problems. How much of this you can live with as a consumer, only you can answer. My 3550 has had a few glitches which I believe will be corrected with a firmware release. Fortunately that has not prevented me from enjoying 4K movies, Netflix etc. I'm not a BenQ apologist and purchasing faulty hardware is frustrating, particularly at a price point of $1,500. But if anyone plans on waiting for a perfectly operating 3550, that's not going to happen anytime soon, if ever. However I fully understand anyone wanting to wait, it's your money. I just think buying today's AV gear requires a certain perspective. Just my 2 cents as an older guy who has been buying this stuff for like 40 years.
ClassicQ8 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page