BenQ W2700 / HT3550 Announcement and Owner’s Thread - Page 92 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2622Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #2731 of 4604 Old 04-26-2019, 08:58 AM
Member
 
Troub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 98
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Alexander View Post
Hey All,



Another poor soul who got one of the Friday delivery batch of HT3550s from Amazon. Mine is showing [what I believe is] an unacceptable blue blur off any high contrast location. I've attached a few images. The small grid is my HT2050, the large grid is the HT3550 at the same draw distance, screen size. For reference I have a 150" Silver Ticket 1.05 gain screen. Messing with the zoom/keystone/ sharpness setting doesn't seem to do anything to fix this problem. I was approved for an RMA with amazon, but I thought I'd check and see if you guys had any ideas of how it could just be my fault.



I run my AV system through a denon receiver, with a fairly long HDMI cable. I irregularly see some artifacts that (If I were to keep this I'd be upgrading to optical.) However, to test if it was my path I connected a chromecast directly to the HT3550, and still see the effect. I also see it in menus etc, but someone on the PJ subreddit suggested that's more normal than seeing it in content. Ultra BD content also has the issue from my samsung player.



Ultimately, I'm wondering if this is the quo for this product, or if I should try again with a different unit. I'm currently very discouraged, as I was very excited for the HT3550 after reviews here started coming in.


Not sure if you ever got a response to this.

What you are seeing is something called chromatic aberration. It is an issue with the lens. While it is not uncommon on projectors in this price range, especially short throw projectors like this BenQ, your example seems to exhibit it worse than most. A replacement would be appropriate.
I would think some blue like this picture would be normal?

Attachment 2558570
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Blur 4.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	871.9 KB
ID:	2558624   Click image for larger version

Name:	Blur 3.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	839.0 KB
ID:	2558626   Click image for larger version

Name:	Blue 2.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	707.1 KB
ID:	2558628   Click image for larger version

Name:	Blur 5.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	871.3 KB
ID:	2558636  

Last edited by Troub; 04-26-2019 at 06:16 PM.
Troub is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2732 of 4604 Old 04-26-2019, 10:21 AM
Senior Member
 
dbpaddler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Philly
Posts: 364
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samfield View Post
Certainly very valid points and concerns. And yes, $1,500 is a lot of money to most people. A consumer dropping that amount of coin has every reason to expect A/V gear to just simply work. Conversely, I would offer that today's home electronics are exceedingly sophisticated. So much so as being to the manufacturer's detriment. It's a simple fact that these products today are works in progress. Like it or not they are dynamic and not static devices. No different than an iPhone, Windows 10 PC, PS4, an Atmos surround audio receiver, Nest t-stat, or the CPU that controls your SUV engine, etc. Modern electronic equipment is not brought to market in a completed state. Its being updated regularly and often these updates create new problems. How much of this you can live with as a consumer, only you can answer. My 3550 has had a few glitches which I believe will be corrected with a firmware release. Fortunately that has not prevented me from enjoying 4K movies, Netflix etc. I'm not a BenQ apologist and purchasing faulty hardware is frustrating, particularly at a price point of $1,500. But if anyone plans on waiting for a perfectly operating 3550, that's not going to happen anytime soon, if ever. However I fully understand anyone wanting to wait, it's your money. I just think buying today's AV gear requires a certain perspective. Just my 2 cents as an older guy who has been buying this stuff for like 40 years.
While today's gear is more complex, you would think they can test quite a few samples with various sources, streaming and disc alike, to weed out some of these issues before it hits the market. Having beta tested quite a few electronics in my day, people here seem more like beta testers than buyers of a finished product that just has some quirks.

Very glad I opted to pick up the 2050a for a bit and see how things shake out over the next year. Pretty confident these will be closer to a grand as refurbs in 2020.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk
dbpaddler is offline  
post #2733 of 4604 Old 04-26-2019, 11:09 AM
Advanced Member
 
Samfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 547
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbpaddler View Post
While today's gear is more complex, you would think they can test quite a few samples with various sources, streaming and disc alike, to weed out some of these issues before it hits the market. Having beta tested quite a few electronics in my day, people here seem more like beta testers than buyers of a finished product that just has some quirks.

Very glad I opted to pick up the 2050a for a bit and see how things shake out over the next year. Pretty confident these will be closer to a grand as refurbs in 2020.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk
I agree about the beta tester idea and have considered the exact same thing. With so few of both the 3550 and 5550 available at retail, (combined with the fact that most of us purchased these from BenQ Direct) you have to wonder if AVS Forum members here are the unofficial beta testers? At least Oppo used to make it official and have you sign an NDA.
Samfield is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2734 of 4604 Old 04-26-2019, 11:22 AM
Senior Member
 
NxNW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 394
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 104
I'm also happy sitting on the sidelines with my old 2050, but I think I just need to see they are capable of putting out a first firmware update, and that should be enough for me to jump in, even at full price. I'm happy to beta test, just not *alpha* test.

BenQ is not some kind of Kickstarter project - they have 100,000 employees. They have the resources to get this right. Shipping it in March was premature but hey that's just the way the world works today- product cycles are so short and competitors are so close on your heels that you *need* to ship the thing you announced you would ship whether there's a couple bugs left or not.
NxNW is offline  
post #2735 of 4604 Old 04-26-2019, 11:31 AM
Advanced Member
 
curtlots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Northeast WI
Posts: 893
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samfield View Post
I agree about the beta tester idea and have considered the exact same thing. With so few of both the 3550 and 5550 available at retail, (combined with the fact that most of us purchased these from BenQ Direct) you have to wonder if AVS Forum members here are the unofficial beta testers? At least Oppo used to make it official and have you sign an NDA.
Did anyone else get the "How do You Feel About Your HT3550" survey request from BenQ?

I did and mentioned some of the issues I have been having, mostly the half-screen issue and other minor issues most of us seem to be having. BenQ has now assigned a case number to me and want to RMA it. I'm reluctant because they don't have a replacement unit available and I don't want to be without a projector for an extended length of time. I'm holding out that a firmware update may be the fix, but who knows if and when that's going to happen. So yes, I feel like an unofficial beta tester at this point in time....
curtlots is online now  
post #2736 of 4604 Old 04-26-2019, 11:48 AM
Member
 
Randomite's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 71
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troub View Post
I would think some blue like this picture would be normal?
Throwing in pictures of my aberration here as well. I believe exposure plays a part in how obvious it looks in these pics, but IRL I can notice this aberration from about 6-9 ft away especially on the grid screen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190425_212839.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	401.5 KB
ID:	2558506   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190425_214951.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	474.6 KB
ID:	2558508  
Randomite is offline  
post #2737 of 4604 Old 04-26-2019, 02:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sage11x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Howell, MI
Posts: 6,546
Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2724 Post(s)
Liked: 2701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troub View Post
I would think some blue like this picture would be normal?


Not able to see your links.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
sage11x is online now  
post #2738 of 4604 Old 04-26-2019, 02:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sage11x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Howell, MI
Posts: 6,546
Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2724 Post(s)
Liked: 2701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomite View Post
Throwing in pictures of my aberration here as well. I believe exposure plays a part in how obvious it looks in these pics, but IRL I can notice this aberration from about 6-9 ft away especially on the grid screen.


If you can notice it during content from your seat and it bothers you, 100% you should ask for an exchange.

From your pics that looks pretty bad. Though I’ve definitely seen far worse.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
sage11x is online now  
post #2739 of 4604 Old 04-26-2019, 02:38 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I am setting up a HT for the first time and tempted to buy the Benq HT 3550 Model.

My order is still pending delivery on Frys for the 3550. However I was able to buy a Optoma UHD50 for $960. The HT3550 would cost ~1500$. Do you think its worth the price difference for a first time HT setup person...who does not have a dedicated media room and planning to use a game room to convert it to be used for HT setup.

Honest opinion would be much appreciated.
ni317954 is offline  
post #2740 of 4604 Old 04-26-2019, 02:42 PM
Member
 
Randomite's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 71
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
If you can notice it during content from your seat and it bothers you, 100% you should ask for an exchange.

From your pics that looks pretty bad. Though I’ve definitely seen far worse.
Thanks for the input Sage. I don't think I notice it in actual color content, but I do sometimes during credits and such. Thing is I'm not sure how much/if this is affecting the color accuracy during normal content, and that's what I'm afraid about. I have terrible FOMO about buying something that isn't performing up to par and I may not be getting my money's worth if that makes sense.
Randomite is offline  
post #2741 of 4604 Old 04-26-2019, 03:40 PM
Member
 
cfelicio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 163
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Here is the response I got from Benq on the issues I reported on this forum (green tint when HDR is enabled in RGB mode, and the screen issue where 1/2 of the screen is darker):

I have reached out to our product managers about these issues to see they are going to be resolved possible by a firmware update.

Once we have a response from our product management team we will send a follow up email.

Thank You
Derek
cfelicio is offline  
post #2742 of 4604 Old 04-26-2019, 03:53 PM
Member
 
ClassicQ8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Kuwait
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Anyone know when the next stock will be available on Amazon ?

I don't know why but i think BenQ may have some problem with HT3550 because the stock is very limited this year
Amazon US and UK nothing its weird
ClassicQ8 is offline  
post #2743 of 4604 Old 04-26-2019, 03:56 PM
Member
 
ClassicQ8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Kuwait
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfelicio View Post
Here is the response I got from Benq on the issues I reported on this forum (green tint when HDR is enabled in RGB mode, and the screen issue where 1/2 of the screen is darker):

I have reached out to our product managers about these issues to see they are going to be resolved possible by a firmware update.

Once we have a response from our product management team we will send a follow up email.

Thank You
Derek
I just hope its a software issues not a hardware
ClassicQ8 is offline  
post #2744 of 4604 Old 04-26-2019, 06:08 PM
Member
 
Troub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 98
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
Not able to see your links.
Should be able to now.
Troub is offline  
post #2745 of 4604 Old 04-26-2019, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
scottyroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Happy Valley, Utah
Posts: 934
Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 616 Post(s)
Liked: 817
Quote:
Originally Posted by ni317954 View Post
I am setting up a HT for the first time and tempted to buy the Benq HT 3550 Model.



My order is still pending delivery on Frys for the 3550. However I was able to buy a Optoma UHD50 for $960. The HT3550 would cost ~1500$. Do you think its worth the price difference for a first time HT setup person...who does not have a dedicated media room and planning to use a game room to convert it to be used for HT setup.



Honest opinion would be much appreciated.


If you plan on watching 4K HDR content, yes, it will be worth it.

"The Bunker" | Dedicated Theater Build Under Suspended Slab Garage
Testing: BenQ HT5550 | Epson 5050UB | 160" Dragonfly™ Fixed AT Screen
Denon X6300H | 9.4.4 (7.2.4 Discrete) | 9x Episode 900 Series LCR/Surrounds | 4x Episode 1700 Series ATMOS Heights | 4x Episode 12" Evo Subs
Sony X700 | Xbox One X | NVIDIA Shield TV
scottyroo is offline  
post #2746 of 4604 Old 04-26-2019, 06:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sage11x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Howell, MI
Posts: 6,546
Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2724 Post(s)
Liked: 2701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troub View Post
Should be able to now.


Again, hard to tell from pics but looking at these on my phone I would say that looks acceptable to me. From the looks of it that would be nearly impossible to pick out from a seat even with test patterns.

The thing is— this is only a $1500 projector. It’s good to have high expectations but the lens is generally the biggest cost in any projector. Just go check out the Sony/JVC threads and you’ll see what I mean. A little aberration is OK as long as it’s not noticeable with content from a normal distance.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
sage11x is online now  
post #2747 of 4604 Old 04-26-2019, 06:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sage11x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Howell, MI
Posts: 6,546
Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2724 Post(s)
Liked: 2701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomite View Post
Thanks for the input Sage. I don't think I notice it in actual color content, but I do sometimes during credits and such. Thing is I'm not sure how much/if this is affecting the color accuracy during normal content, and that's what I'm afraid about. I have terrible FOMO about buying something that isn't performing up to par and I may not be getting my money's worth if that makes sense.


I get that. I’m much the same way. See my post above.

I will say, your pics look a lot worse than Troub’s. Whether that’s just the exposure or not I can’t say. If it bothers you it’s fair to ask for a replacement. Troub’s shots look ‘normal’ to me. Yours, not so much. But, again, I’m on my phone and traveling so I’m not exactly able to study these on a large monitor.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
sage11x is online now  
post #2748 of 4604 Old 04-26-2019, 06:49 PM
Member
 
Troub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 98
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
Again, hard to tell from pics but looking at these on my phone I would say that looks acceptable to me. From the looks of it that would be nearly impossible to pick out from a seat even with test patterns.

The thing is— this is only a $1500 projector. It’s good to have high expectations but the lens is generally the biggest cost in any projector. Just go check out the Sony/JVC threads and you’ll see what I mean. A little aberration is OK as long as it’s not noticeable with content from a normal distance.
Mine is for 5550 was just showing the blue which should be okay. Iam sure all are close when being very close to the screen but from far away your right its not noticeable at all. Derek from BenQ even said that its normal.
sage11x likes this.

Last edited by Troub; 04-26-2019 at 06:52 PM.
Troub is offline  
post #2749 of 4604 Old 04-26-2019, 07:55 PM
Senior Member
 
Striper Mark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 220
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Hi all! Just got the 3550 installed, replacing a Sony HW45ES. Projector distance is ~10 ft to a 106 Silver Ticket screen. Still sorting through the setup but one thing is really weird, movies play fine through Apple TV and I ran the setup on ATV and confirmed 4:2:2. When I try to play anything through the Oppo 203 I keep getting a no signal on HDMI 1 message after making a selection from the main menu. Any ideas why 4K HDR 4:2:2 is fine on an ATV but won't work through the Oppo? Everything runs through a Denon 4300H with an Amazon Hi Speed 15 foot HDMI cable out to the 3550.

Opening scene in John Wick 2 looked awesome and the detail in Lone Survivor scenes was insane, hopefully I can get these sorted out!!

Living Room: Samsung 65" KS8000; Oppo 203; NAD 758V3; Philharmonic BMR L/C/R; Elac B5's Rear Left/Right; SVS PB2000
Basement : BenqHT3550; Denon x4300; SVS Ultra L/C/R; Prime Surrounds; Prime Elevation; Infinity in-Ceiling (7.1.4) Dual PSA V1500
Striper Mark is offline  
post #2750 of 4604 Old 04-26-2019, 10:50 PM
Member
 
cfelicio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 163
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomite View Post
Throwing in pictures of my aberration here as well. I believe exposure plays a part in how obvious it looks in these pics, but IRL I can notice this aberration from about 6-9 ft away especially on the grid screen.
this looks pretty strong, let me take a picture of mine to compare, I don't feel it's that bad.
cfelicio is offline  
post #2751 of 4604 Old 04-27-2019, 02:40 AM
Member
 
kdupuis77's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: NH
Posts: 64
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtlots View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samfield View Post
I agree about the beta tester idea and have considered the exact same thing. With so few of both the 3550 and 5550 available at retail, (combined with the fact that most of us purchased these from BenQ Direct) you have to wonder if AVS Forum members here are the unofficial beta testers? At least Oppo used to make it official and have you sign an NDA. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif[/IMG]
Did anyone else get the "How do You Feel About Your HT3550" survey request from BenQ?

I did and mentioned some of the issues I have been having, mostly the half-screen issue and other minor issues most of us seem to be having. BenQ has now assigned a case number to me and want to RMA it. I'm reluctant because they don't have a replacement unit available and I don't want to be without a projector for an extended length of time. I'm holding out that a firmware update may be the fix, but who knows if and when that's going to happen. So yes, I feel like an unofficial beta tester at this point in time.... [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/mad.gif[/IMG]
I got that email a few days ago. I had contacted BenQ and let them know of my projectors issues. I was told they could provide a shipping label to send for repairs and that would take 3-5 business maybe. I decided to hold off u til they have enough stock for a full unit exchange.

11ft x 13ft Theater Room w/ 2x rows of 2x Seatcraft Rialto Leather Powered Recliners
BenQ HT3550 4K XPR DLP projector w/ Silver Ticket 100" 16:9 Aspect Ratio Screen
Yamaha RX-V683BL AVR w/ Klipsch 5.2.2 Atmos Surround System
PS4 Slim, Xbox One S, Nintendo Switch, AppleTV 4K
kdupuis77 is offline  
post #2752 of 4604 Old 04-27-2019, 05:14 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I’m currently using the HT2050A projector, but I wanted to get an idea if I should upgrade to the HT3550 that just came out. I don’t do any gaming nor have a need to watch 3D movies. Our DirecTV receivers are not 4K, but mainly we use our projector for watching Sports, movies on DirecTV and we have it on when we have guests over in our basement rec room (parties, etc...).

Since there isn’t alot of 4K content on DirecTV and based on how we use it, is an upgrade worth it for us?

I have been leaning towards an ultra short throw projector that I can place inches from the wall on a table, but there hasn’t been any ultra short throw projector that has come close to matching the brightness or picture quality of the HT2050A so far.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Budala007 is offline  
post #2753 of 4604 Old 04-27-2019, 06:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tonybradley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Where the Internet stinks
Posts: 4,376
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicQ8 View Post
I was so excited to get my first ever projector HT3550, but when i read all the problems and issues here and there
its just make me think is the HT3550 worth my money ? I think BenQ need to work on quality control this is not cool at all. when someone pay 1500$ its mean he want a Quality is that hard ?
I just hope the next stock will be much better or at least its run good without all these issues especially in HDR
I was on the fence if I wanted to continue with my HT2050a or jump on the HT3550. I've been following for months now. Due to keeping track of everything going on, there is no way in the world I'd spend $1,500 on such a risky PJ right now with all the issues so many are having. Even if they are just nuisance issues that can be resolved by standing on your head while making a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, it's unacceptable at at any price point.

I will keep following as I'm curious if a firmware update will fix all the issues. Even outside the issues, now that we are seeing more people talk about the PJ, it doesn't sound like WCG is a slam dunk on this PJ. Many love it, many hate it. The Dynamic Iris that was supposed to be the bees knees on this PJ isn't a slam dunk for many either, which is saddening. After reading the pumping issues some are having, there is no way I'd use Dynamic Iris if I had the unit and it worked like that. Sage has said the Contrast is better with the HT3550 compared to the HT2050a when using DI, but I believe the older HT2050a is better when DI is off on 3550. I just purchased my HT2050a a little less than a year ago, so I'm happy with it until some things are resolved on this unit, then I may give it a try.
ng4ever and ClassicQ8 like this.
tonybradley is offline  
post #2754 of 4604 Old 04-27-2019, 07:24 AM
Senior Member
 
kthejoker20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Kenosha, WI
Posts: 237
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 18
The viewsonic is putting out the LS700-4k in a month.

Same throw distance as his one.

Plus, it's LASER and a just a tad bit more in cost.

Waiting to see the input lag, but I'm sure it's gonna be way better then this seeing it's laser.
kthejoker20 is offline  
post #2755 of 4604 Old 04-27-2019, 07:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sage11x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Howell, MI
Posts: 6,546
Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2724 Post(s)
Liked: 2701
BenQ W2700 / HT3550 Announcement and Owner’s Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthejoker20 View Post
The viewsonic is putting out the LS700-4k in a month.



Same throw distance as his one.



Plus, it's LASER and a just a tad bit more in cost.



Waiting to see the input lag, but I'm sure it's gonna be way better then this seeing it's laser.


Why would laser have anything to do with lag? It’s the same DMD... what am I missing? The only way the LS will have lower lag is if it eschews MEMC— and if it does it will score around the same as every other non-MEMC 4K DLP that is already out (between 42 and 50ms).

You don’t think it will be lower lag because of the laser itself, right? You know light travels at the same speed regardless of the source, right?

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
sage11x is online now  
post #2756 of 4604 Old 04-27-2019, 07:59 AM
Senior Member
 
kthejoker20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Kenosha, WI
Posts: 237
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
Why would laser have anything to do with lag? It’s the same DMD... what am I missing? The only way the LS will have lower lag is if it eschews MEMC— and if it does it will score around the same as every other non-MEMC 4K DLP that is already out (between 42 and 50ms).

You don’t think it will be lower lag because of the laser itself, right? You know light travels at the same speed regardless of the source, right?
Just saving your post for laughs....
home4sale2 and neotide like this.
kthejoker20 is offline  
post #2757 of 4604 Old 04-27-2019, 08:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sage11x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Howell, MI
Posts: 6,546
Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2724 Post(s)
Liked: 2701
Quote:
Originally Posted by kthejoker20 View Post
Just saving your post for laughs....


Wait... you really DO think that the laser light source will contribute to lower lag??

No... friend... no. That’s not how it works. I know that Star Wars has everyone thinking lasers are really fast but, in reality, those cartoon lasers are really, really slow. Laser light and lamp light travel at the same speed. In any case, the speed of light doesn’t factor into input lag. The laser is just the light source. There are distinct advantages to using a laser instead of a bulb (although cost is NOT one of them). But the laser is simply supplying the light, typically through a diffuser/filter, and then through a color wheel which is pretty much the same as the color wheel used in every other single chip DLP.

Input latency has to do with the actual imaging chip and whatever processing needs to happen behind the imaging chip. From everything I’ve read, demo’d and seen, the XPR process is the limiting factor here. MEMC (motion interpolation) which in the DLPs is baked into the TI chip, makes things worse even when the function is not in use.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
sage11x is online now  
post #2758 of 4604 Old 04-27-2019, 09:01 AM
Senior Member
 
home4sale2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 219
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybradley View Post
I was on the fence if I wanted to continue with my HT2050a or jump on the HT3550. I've been following for months now. Due to keeping track of everything going on, there is no way in the world I'd spend $1,500 on such a risky PJ right now with all the issues so many are having. Even if they are just nuisance issues that can be resolved by standing on your head while making a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, it's unacceptable at at any price point.



I will keep following as I'm curious if a firmware update will fix all the issues. Even outside the issues, now that we are seeing more people talk about the PJ, it doesn't sound like WCG is a slam dunk on this PJ. Many love it, many hate it. The Dynamic Iris that was supposed to be the bees knees on this PJ isn't a slam dunk for many either, which is saddening. After reading the pumping issues some are having, there is no way I'd use Dynamic Iris if I had the unit and it worked like that. Sage has said the Contrast is better with the HT3550 compared to the HT2050a when using DI, but I believe the older HT2050a is better when DI is off on 3550. I just purchased my HT2050a a little less than a year ago, so I'm happy with it until some things are resolved on this unit, then I may give it a try.


We’re all in different stages therefore YMVV. I agree with you. Unless you want to make the jump to 4K or a jump period, you should stay where you are. I’ll be curious to find out how many who have bought this (you have not) are actually willing to live with the nuances, heartaches or however one defines shades of misery, and keeping or replacing the same projector. I could be wrong but a majority have opted to keep the unit, be it desperation (still better than what they had) or ones like me that are having minimal annoyances.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
home4sale2 is offline  
post #2759 of 4604 Old 04-27-2019, 09:06 AM
Senior Member
 
home4sale2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 219
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 63
BenQ W2700 / HT3550 Announcement and Owner’s Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striper Mark View Post
Hi all! Just got the 3550 installed, replacing a Sony HW45ES. Projector distance is ~10 ft to a 106 Silver Ticket screen. Still sorting through the setup but one thing is really weird, movies play fine through Apple TV and I ran the setup on ATV and confirmed 4:2:2. When I try to play anything through the Oppo 203 I keep getting a no signal on HDMI 1 message after making a selection from the main menu. Any ideas why 4K HDR 4:2:2 is fine on an ATV but won't work through the Oppo? Everything runs through a Denon 4300H with an Amazon Hi Speed 15 foot HDMI cable out to the 3550.



Opening scene in John Wick 2 looked awesome and the detail in Lone Survivor scenes was insane, hopefully I can get these sorted out!!


Are you able to swap out the cables between A4K and Oppo? To rule out the cables? Any difference in your HDMI inputs on AVR? Maybe as a test use the same input from the Apple to your AVR too.

If not, something funky in that Oppo you can track down which I don’t have. See my post earlier or try bypassing your avr altogether as a test from Oppo.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
home4sale2 is offline  
post #2760 of 4604 Old 04-27-2019, 09:13 AM
Senior Member
 
home4sale2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 219
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budala007 View Post
I’m currently using the HT2050A projector, but I wanted to get an idea if I should upgrade to the HT3550 that just came out. I don’t do any gaming nor have a need to watch 3D movies. Our DirecTV receivers are not 4K, but mainly we use our projector for watching Sports, movies on DirecTV and we have it on when we have guests over in our basement rec room (parties, etc...).

Since there isn’t alot of 4K content on DirecTV and based on how we use it, is an upgrade worth it for us?

I have been leaning towards an ultra short throw projector that I can place inches from the wall on a table, but there hasn’t been any ultra short throw projector that has come close to matching the brightness or picture quality of the HT2050A so far.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


I don’t think so. Check out a 4K unit and see if it’s worth it to you. I made the jump from a 720p and didn’t mind paying another $500 as a treat. Just watching expanse and NF shows I’m UHD made it worthwhile. For your viewing habits, ask if you’ll use 4K and you will have your answer


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
home4sale2 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off