BenQ W2700 / HT3550 Announcement and Owner’s Thread - Page 93 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2103Likes

post #2761 of 3756 Old 04-27-2019, 09:15 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
Why would laser have anything to do with lag? It’s the same DMD... what am I missing? The only way the LS will have lower lag is if it eschews MEMC— and if it does it will score around the same as every other non-MEMC 4K DLP that is already out (between 42 and 50ms).

You don’t think it will be lower lag because of the laser itself, right? You know light travels at the same speed regardless of the source, right?

Yeah but the laser is thinner and travels at 186,001 miles per second and breaks the cosmic speed limit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2762 of 3756 Old 04-27-2019, 09:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by home4sale2 View Post
Yeah but the laser is thinner and travels at 186,001 miles per second and breaks the cosmic speed limit.

Not sure if Viewsonic has implemented "flying focus" yet, but it can go WAY faster than the speed of light. Or something. Because "it turns out to be super powerful" according to the scientist man.

Read it and weep, old-fashioned light speed losers:
https://www.rdmag.com/news/2018/11/l...er-speed-light
home4sale2 likes this.
post #2763 of 3756 Old 04-27-2019, 10:30 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybradley View Post
I was on the fence if I wanted to continue with my HT2050a or jump on the HT3550. I've been following for months now. Due to keeping track of everything going on, there is no way in the world I'd spend $1,500 on such a risky PJ right now with all the issues so many are having. Even if they are just nuisance issues that can be resolved by standing on your head while making a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, it's unacceptable at at any price point.

I will keep following as I'm curious if a firmware update will fix all the issues. Even outside the issues, now that we are seeing more people talk about the PJ, it doesn't sound like WCG is a slam dunk on this PJ. Many love it, many hate it. The Dynamic Iris that was supposed to be the bees knees on this PJ isn't a slam dunk for many either, which is saddening. After reading the pumping issues some are having, there is no way I'd use Dynamic Iris if I had the unit and it worked like that. Sage has said the Contrast is better with the HT3550 compared to the HT2050a when using DI, but I believe the older HT2050a is better when DI is off on 3550. I just purchased my HT2050a a little less than a year ago, so I'm happy with it until some things are resolved on this unit, then I may give it a try.

I agree with you Tony, and I hope its just a firmware issues, Because i need this projector and I'm really curious to see how BenQ fix this situation.

I still think HT3550 is Promising
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2764 of 3756 Old 04-27-2019, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I’ve been off here for about 3 weeks read some of the posts since then. Overall how wide spread are the issues still as I want to wait until the problems are fixed either at firmware or hardware levels. For the half and half image issue the iris flicker the aberration issues and whatever else I may not be listing. Have these been corrected or still on going. I’m going to start eyeing an epson pretty soon. As at 15 feet back I’m not sure I will notice 1080p shifter 2x vs 4x as much as I will black levels and hopefully less problems since it been out longer? Really want the 4K though.
post #2765 of 3756 Old 04-27-2019, 11:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 176 Post(s)
Quoted: 2555 Post(s)
Liked: 2507
BenQ W2700 / HT3550 Announcement and Owner’s Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybradley View Post
I was on the fence if I wanted to continue with my HT2050a or jump on the HT3550. I've been following for months now. Due to keeping track of everything going on, there is no way in the world I'd spend $1,500 on such a risky PJ right now with all the issues so many are having. Even if they are just nuisance issues that can be resolved by standing on your head while making a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, it's unacceptable at at any price point.

I will keep following as I'm curious if a firmware update will fix all the issues. Even outside the issues, now that we are seeing more people talk about the PJ, it doesn't sound like WCG is a slam dunk on this PJ. Many love it, many hate it. The Dynamic Iris that was supposed to be the bees knees on this PJ isn't a slam dunk for many either, which is saddening. After reading the pumping issues some are having, there is no way I'd use Dynamic Iris if I had the unit and it worked like that. Sage has said the Contrast is better with the HT3550 compared to the HT2050a when using DI, but I believe the older HT2050a is better when DI is off on 3550. I just purchased my HT2050a a little less than a year ago, so I'm happy with it until some things are resolved on this unit, then I may give it a try.

Tony, I actually do think you should wait but I have to comment on this post as I think it’s a little unfairly negative of the actual product we’re talking about. I think you had very high expectations and maybe not all of them were met and you’re understandably let down. In short— the reality didn’t meet the hype some members had for it.

It’s clear some members are experiencing QC issues. That’s a shame and definitely not something anyone should accept. But outside of that I think you’re being maybe a touch over dramatic.

Turn off the Dynamic iris and don’t use the wide color filter— what do you have? Still the best 4K DLP projector at $1500. I hate to say it but BenQ’s biggest error here seems to be giving consumers too much on this model— they’ve packed this thing to the gills and everyone is busy finding that one aspect about it they don’t like.

Honestly, ask yourself his question: if the HT3550 did not have the wide color filter how would it effect it’s position in the market? No other manufacturers are offering this feature at this price. If you have a room that can take advantage of the feature: congrats. If not, simply disregard it. It’s not like there is an alternative at this price that has this feature or anything similar.

As for the DI— I’m extremely picky and I was the first reviewer to draw attention to the issues with the iris. I’m still in communication with BenQ about possible performance improvements. I want to see the iris work better but it’s not like it’s broken or anything now.

Many of the complaints I’m seeing about the iris could be leveled at dynamic irises in general. Many users have admitted that this is the first projector they’ve used with a dynamic iris. An iris has pros and cons that are not unique to the HT3550.

Even without the iris the HT3550 has the best contrast of any of it’s 4K competitors. Unfortunately, the move to 4K has not done DLP any favors here and if you’re looking for the best native contrast below $1500 you’re still looking at an HT2050A or a discontinued Epson 4000 (if you can still find one). I’ll update when BenQ gives me more information about iris improvements but for now we have a whole lot of people who have no problems with it (including @scottyroo ) some who do have issues (such as myself) and some who hits flatly don’t like the iris and, in all fairness, would probably not like an iris on any projector. Believe it or not there are many owners here on AVS who spend thousands on Sony and JVC projectors who disable the included iris because they don’t like the effect. That’s fair. You’re not required to use every feature on every model.

In other words:

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Last edited by sage11x; 04-27-2019 at 11:27 AM.
post #2766 of 3756 Old 04-27-2019, 11:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1555 Post(s)
Liked: 4558
Despite some minor issues, I really like this projector. I feel like I have figured out all the little nuances etc and have found a happy place with it. No peanut butter and jelly sandwich dances required lol.
Samfield, neotide and sage11x like this.
post #2767 of 3756 Old 04-27-2019, 12:05 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 74
In regards to these additional features. Are they not being used because they are poorly implemented be it by design or not so optimal firmware at the moment? Or are these features just gimmicky? DI's do work better on other projectors, no? So is it just poorly done on the 3550? And they chose to put these features in because they are supposed to improve image quality. So are the expectations set too high in that regard, or should these features actually work right so they actually do improve the pic?

And at that point we're at our other conversation about doing away with many of these ancillary features and just give me a bigger engine and better optics to natively throw a better pic without all the gadgets.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk
post #2768 of 3756 Old 04-27-2019, 02:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbpaddler View Post
In regards to these additional features. Are they not being used because they are poorly implemented be it by design or not so optimal firmware at the moment? Or are these features just gimmicky? DI's do work better on other projectors, no? So is it just poorly done on the 3550? And they chose to put these features in because they are supposed to improve image quality. So are the expectations set too high in that regard, or should these features actually work right so they actually do improve the pic?

And at that point we're at our other conversation about doing away with many of these ancillary features and just give me a bigger engine and better optics to natively throw a better pic without all the gadgets.

The DI works right the vast majority of the time. The only issue I've had is a tendency to over compensate on high APL content. That is being worked on by BenQ right now.

As for the wide color filter... in lamp based projectors a wide color filter means a significant reduction in lumens. Go check the Sony 295ES and how it's color filter effects it's output. That's just life right now. Not everyone is going to be able to take advantage of the filter either due to their room not being light controlled or their screen being too large. Some people have complained they don't like the look of the filter. That's fine but for me, personally, I love it. It produces a warm image with actual reds (not the orange-y color that passes for red in Rec.709) and rich greens and does away with the coolness that permeates like 90% of consumer displays. I get that some people like a cooler color temperature and I also get why someone would want more output. But if you do: leave the feature off. For the majority of my use I leave the feature off just to run the projector in eco. The HT3550 would still be my recommendation for best image quality in a 4K DLP below $2000. Is it perfect? Of course not. But show me a projector that is.

As I mentioned in my reply to you over in the other thread-- in this price range you're getting bells and whistles. Projectors in this price range have to appeal to as wide a consumer base as possible. This is a budget priced volume unit not a high priced, low volume installer model. If you're looking for high end optics and flatscreen competing contrast you simply have to spend more. At the HT3550's price it is one hell of a projector.

Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

post #2769 of 3756 Old 04-27-2019, 03:21 PM

Quote:
The DI works right the vast majority of the time. The only issue I've had is a tendency to over compensate on high APL content. That is being worked on by BenQ right now.

As for the wide color filter... in lamp based projectors a wide color filter means a significant reduction in lumens. Go check the Sony 295ES and how it's color filter effects it's output. That's just life right now. Not everyone is going to be able to take advantage of the filter either due to their room not being light controlled or their screen being too large. Some people have complained they don't like the look of the filter. That's fine but for me, personally, I love it. It produces a warm image with actual reds (not the orange-y color that passes for red in Rec.709) and rich greens and does away with the coolness that permeates like 90% of consumer displays. I get that some people like a cooler color temperature and I also get why someone would want more output. But if you do: leave the feature off. For the majority of my use I leave the feature off just to run the projector in eco. The HT3550 would still be my recommendation for best image quality in a 4K DLP below $2000. Is it perfect? Of course not. But show me a projector that is.

As I mentioned in my reply to you over in the other thread-- in this price range you're getting bells and whistles. Projectors in this price range have to appeal to as wide a consumer base as possible. This is a budget priced volume unit not a high priced, low volume installer model. If you're looking for high end optics and flatscreen competing contrast you simply have to spend more. At the HT3550's price it is one hell of a projector.
Well one can dream... I unfortunately won't have a choice in options. It's either the 3550 or downsize my screen. So it's easy to sit on the sidelines and let you early adopters sort things through.

post #2770 of 3756 Old 04-27-2019, 03:29 PM

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Installation question

First time with a BenQ and this may be a dumb question, but... Does the lens have to be centered on my screen? I have a chief mount and not sure if I should be aligning the center hole over the center of gravity indicator or so that the lens is centered... My old Sony was centered in the middle of the screen and also had some lateral shift ability where the BenQ does not.
Thanks!

Living Room: Samsung 65" KS8000; Oppo 203; NAD 758V3; Philharmonic BMR L/C/R; Elac B5's Rear Left/Right; SVS PB2000
Basement : BenqHT3550; Denon x4300; SVS Ultra L/C/R; Prime Surrounds; Prime Elevation; Infinity in-Ceiling (7.1.4) Dual PSA V1500
post #2771 of 3756 Old 04-27-2019, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by home4sale2 View Post
Are you able to swap out the cables between A4K and Oppo? To rule out the cables? Any difference in your HDMI inputs on AVR? Maybe as a test use the same input from the Apple to your AVR too.

If not, something funky in that Oppo you can track down which I don’t have. See my post earlier or try bypassing your avr altogether as a test from Oppo.

Yes, will give this a try, thanks!

Living Room: Samsung 65" KS8000; Oppo 203; NAD 758V3; Philharmonic BMR L/C/R; Elac B5's Rear Left/Right; SVS PB2000
Basement : BenqHT3550; Denon x4300; SVS Ultra L/C/R; Prime Surrounds; Prime Elevation; Infinity in-Ceiling (7.1.4) Dual PSA V1500
post #2772 of 3756 Old 04-27-2019, 04:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striper Mark View Post
First time with a BenQ and this may be a dumb question, but... Does the lens have to be centered on my screen? I have a chief mount and not sure if I should be aligning the center hole over the center of gravity indicator or so that the lens is centered... My old Sony was centered in the middle of the screen and also had some lateral shift ability where the BenQ does not.
Thanks!
Gravity indicator is only for ideal mounting position which is more important with cheap mounts. The HT3550 has no H lens shift so the lens needs to be centered to your screen.

post #2773 of 3756 Old 04-27-2019, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Gravity indicator is only for ideal mounting position which is more important with cheap mounts. The HT3550 has no H lens shift so the lens needs to be centered to your screen.
Thank you!

post #2774 of 3756 Old 04-27-2019, 06:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1555 Post(s)
Liked: 4558
Watched It and Jupiter Ascending 4k. Looked great! Minimal flickering from iris.
post #2775 of 3756 Old 04-27-2019, 06:44 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyroo View Post
If you plan on watching 4K HDR content, yes, it will be worth it.

Is this ok to do or is it not watching 4K HDR content ?

I will explain why in a sec.

Watch Netflix off my computer monitor at netflix.com and moving the firefox web browser window to the projector screen ? Yes we have the most expensive mostly Netflix account monthly forgot what it is called. So it does have 4K. (Not sure if Firefox supports the highest quality though)

The reason for doing this is so I can use my headphones instead of my speakers at night to not wake the wife. Thanks.

Is there a better way to do this or I am not seeing the whole picture ?
post #2776 of 3756 Old 04-27-2019, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 612 Post(s)
Liked: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by ng4ever View Post
Is this ok to do or is it not watching 4K HDR content ?

I will explain why in a sec.

Watch Netflix off my computer monitor at netflix.com and moving the firefox web browser window to the projector screen ? Yes we have the most expensive mostly Netflix account monthly forgot what it is called. So it does have 4K. (Not sure if Firefox supports the highest quality though)

The reason for doing this is so I can use my headphones instead of my speakers at night to not wake the wife. Thanks.

Is there a better way to do this or I am not seeing the whole picture ?

You are missing out on 4K hdr with that PC setup.

Get a Roku Ultra which allows you to play the audio with headphones through the remote.

"The Bunker" | Dedicated Theater Build Under Suspended Slab Garage
Testing: BenQ HT5550 | Epson 5050UB | 160" Dragonfly™ Fixed AT Screen
Denon X6300H | 9.4.4 (7.2.4 Discrete) | 9x Episode 900 Series LCR/Surrounds | 4x Episode 1700 Series ATMOS Heights | 4x Episode 12" Evo Subs
Sony X700 | Xbox One X | NVIDIA Shield TV
post #2777 of 3756 Old 04-27-2019, 06:49 PM

Question

Quote:
You are missing out on 4K hdr with that PC setup.

Get a Roku Ultra which allows you to play the audio with headphones through the remote.

Thanks I got a Roku Premiere should that work ?

I just got really good headphones and worried a Roku won't give me high sound quality
post #2778 of 3756 Old 04-27-2019, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I think that should work with the premiere.

No matter how you slice it, if you are using headphones with Netflix it is spitting out 2.0 sound and is most likely capped out at 192-256kbps but rate.

Another option is using the 3.5mm audio out from the projector if you are wanting direct wired connection.
ng4ever likes this.

Denon X6300H | 9.4.4 (7.2.4 Discrete) | 9x Episode 900 Series LCR/Surrounds | 4x Episode 1700 Series ATMOS Heights | 4x Episode 12" Evo Subs
post #2779 of 3756 Old 04-27-2019, 06:54 PM

Question

Quote:
I think that should work with the premiere.

No matter how you slice it, if you are using headphones with Netflix it is spitting out 2.0 sound and is most likely capped out at 192-256kbps but rate.

Another option is using the 3.5mm audio out from the projector if you are wanting direct wired connection.

Thanks good ideas!

So is there anyway to get 4k HDR through my pc like that or no ?

With moving over the window from my pc monitor to the projector screen ?
post #2780 of 3756 Old 04-27-2019, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Hmmm I haven’t researched that but my hunch is that the Netflix web player doesn’t support HDR. Windows has janky support of HDR... I just wouldn’t highly recommend a PC setup to fully enjoy 4K HDR.

post #2781 of 3756 Old 04-27-2019, 06:56 PM

Red face

Quote:
Hmmm I haven’t researched that but my hunch is that the Netflix web player doesn’t support HDR. Windows has janky support of HDR... I just wouldn’t highly recommend a PC setup to fully enjoy 4K HDR.

Ok thanks np!

Your help has been greatly appreciated!
scottyroo likes this.
post #2782 of 3756 Old 04-27-2019, 07:51 PM

scottyroo one more thing sorry what if I bought Stranger Things Season 2 Blu Ray (instead of streaming it) and played it on my computer then dragged the media player of chose to the projector screen ? Would that still not support HDR for the video ? Thanks.

It would be HDMI cable from my computer to my projector.
post #2783 of 3756 Old 04-27-2019, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ng4ever View Post
scottyroo one more thing sorry what if I bought Stranger Things Season 2 Blu Ray (instead of streaming it) and played it on my computer then dragged the media player of chose to the projector screen ? Would that still not support HDR for the video ? Thanks.

It would be HDMI cable from my computer to my projector.

You would need a player on your computer that supports HDR. Additionally windows 10 support of HDR transcends just the screen you are dragging to video to. If you enable HDR I. Windows 10 both displays will be converted to HDR which will make your other monitor looks weird.

Is there a particular reason you are so set on having it played from your PC?

post #2784 of 3756 Old 04-27-2019, 07:58 PM

Question

Quote:
You would need a player on your computer that supports HDR. Additionally windows 10 support of HDR transcends just the screen you are dragging to video to. If you enable HDR I. Windows 10 both displays will be converted to HDR which will make your other monitor looks weird.

Is there a particular reason you are so set on having it played from your PC?

Mainly because it is easier for me to have a lot of content lined up and played continually. Plus of course the better sound quality from my computer sound to my headphones which is easier too in my opinion plus not having to unplug my headphones from my pc every time to my projector.

What if I rip the Stranger Things Season 2 to my hard drive then put them on plex then play it through Plex ?
post #2785 of 3756 Old 04-27-2019, 09:39 PM

Is there a way to turn on this projector from an AVR like Yamaha? The 12V trigger is an out only and not in (which I guess is normal for projectors). I don't have a universal remote control but one step away from having everything come on if I can figure out how to turn this projector through some sort of hdmi trigger.
post #2786 of 3756 Old 04-28-2019, 07:13 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Coming from an Epson 6020UB how much different would contrast be with the 3550? I've got a black room with controlled lighting. Need to get rid of the 6020. Current projector ceiling mounted about 11.2 feet from 108" screen. Could the 3550 be mounted at the same distance?

Thanks
post #2787 of 3756 Old 04-28-2019, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squigly1 View Post
Coming from an Epson 6020UB how much different would contrast be with the 3550? I've got a black room with controlled lighting. Need to get rid of the 6020. Current projector ceiling mounted about 11.2 feet from 108" screen. Could the 3550 be mounted at the same distance?

Thanks

I used throw calc on projector central website. Hth

post #2788 of 3756 Old 04-28-2019, 09:03 AM

Sorry. Tapatalk sucks.

Last edited by dbpaddler; 04-28-2019 at 09:06 AM. Reason: Dupe
post #2789 of 3756 Old 04-28-2019, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squigly1 View Post

Thanks
From projector central screen calculator.

For a  108" diagonal screen, place the projector lens between 8'-10" and 11'-6" from the screen.

So yes. 11.5 feet is the max distance for a 108" screen. You can also go bigger on your screen too at that distance.

post #2790 of 3756 Old 04-28-2019, 10:10 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbpaddler View Post
From projector central screen calculator.

For a  108" diagonal screen, place the projector lens between 8'-10" and 11'-6" from the screen.

So yes. 11.5 feet is the max distance for a 108" screen. You can also go bigger on your screen too at that distance.

Good stuff. I was having issue with the new calculator. Switched to the old and things worked better. Any thoughts on the contrast question/

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page