BenQ W2700 / HT3550 Announcement and Owner’s Thread - Page 95 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2328Likes

post #2821 of 4161 Old 04-29-2019, 10:44 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 80
It's a dust blob. Purely physical. No chance firmware will make it go away. And whatever you do don't squirt compressed air in there, you'll get *more* dust blobs. If that's how it was shipped to you, just warranty-repair it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2822 of 4161 Old 04-29-2019, 10:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 183 Post(s)
Quoted: 2628 Post(s)
Liked: 2577
Quote:
Originally Posted by jblade44 View Post
I tried many things to lessen impact... zoom level...clean lense...air clean the lense area...picture settings...nothing seems to work. Not sure I can live with it... will give it a few days before deciding.... any chance it goes away on it’s own or firmware might correct? I did have the split screen issue when playing with settings... had to hard reset to correct it....

It looks like some debris behind the lens or possible a defect.

Quick FYI: do not use compressed air to clean a projector. If anything you’ll make the issue worse.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
post #2823 of 4161 Old 04-29-2019, 10:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NxNW View Post
It's a dust blob. Purely physical. No chance firmware will make it go away. And whatever you do don't squirt compressed air in there, you'll get *more* dust blobs. If that's how it was shipped to you, just warranty-repair it.

Wow we posted that at the same time— I’ll buy you a coke.
NxNW and ng4ever like this.

Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2824 of 4161 Old 04-29-2019, 12:43 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I'm finally seeing the Split Screen effect that everyone has been mentioning, but only when I mess with the projector settings. Scared me, but a quick turn on/off of brilliant color and it went away. This thing is really finicky when messing with settings, I also had the whole screen go black yesterday when tweaking. Really really hope this is firmware resolveable, I'm afraid to go into the menu anymore. Picture looks fantastic though in normal use!
post #2825 of 4161 Old 04-29-2019, 06:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked: 4640
Quote:
Originally Posted by triathletewms View Post
Why are you teasing us, when are you going to get it up on YouTube?
Forgive my cheesy recording skills from my phone(which can't hold focus lol) but here you go.
post #2826 of 4161 Old 04-29-2019, 07:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by subacabra View Post
Forgive my cheesy recording skills from my phone(which can't hold focus lol) but here you go.
https://youtu.be/IQyXhoDSyE8

Pure eye candy

Colours are also amazing
subacabra likes this.

BenQ W5700 | XY Screen 120" ALR Black Crystal - Gain 2.0 | Xbox one X | Soundbar
post #2827 of 4161 Old 04-29-2019, 07:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked: 4640
Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineMoshka View Post
Pure eye candy

Colours are also amazing
Thanks! Looks way better in person too
ng4ever likes this.
post #2828 of 4161 Old 04-29-2019, 09:06 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Does anyone else keep switching between WCG filter on and off for 4K material? I can't decide which way I like better. On definitely feels more cinematic to me, like what I would see in an actual movie theater. Off makes it way more vibrant and by comparison looks like a giant LED TV on the wall. I have brilliant color off when the filter is on, and on when the filter is off. I am also in a blacked out basement theater. 120" screen.

If I switch between them quickly, WCG filter on looks very dim and cool, but after a few seconds I get more used to it and it looks way more natural.

7.2.4 BenQ/Marantz/HTD/Micca/SVS/Dayton
post #2829 of 4161 Old 04-29-2019, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaded21 View Post
Does anyone else keep switching between WCG filter on and off for 4K material? I can't decide which way I like better. On definitely feels more cinematic to me, like what I would see in an actual movie theater. Off makes it way more vibrant and by comparison looks like a giant LED TV on the wall. I have brilliant color off when the filter is on, and on when the filter is off. I am also in a blacked out basement theater. 120" screen.

If I switch between them quickly, WCG filter on looks very dim and cool, but after a few seconds I get more used to it and it looks way more natural.

Do you have the Dynamic iris on aslo ? Being a W5700 user i would definately have the WCG on personally

BenQ W5700 | XY Screen 120" ALR Black Crystal - Gain 2.0 | Xbox one X | Soundbar
post #2830 of 4161 Old 04-29-2019, 09:31 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

I feel the colors are definitely wrong with the WCG on, even after a few minutes of "adjusting". The Benq report that shipped with the Projector says otherwise, but I will dust off my i1pro once I get a chance and take some measurements.

For me, the best out of the box is Cinema mode. The D. Cinema (which engages the WCG) feels kinda of bluish-greenish.
post #2831 of 4161 Old 04-29-2019, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfelicio View Post
I feel the colors are definitely wrong with the WCG on, even after a few minutes of "adjusting". The Benq report that shipped with the Projector says otherwise, but I will dust off my i1pro once I get a chance and take some measurements.

For me, the best out of the box is Cinema mode. The D. Cinema (which engages the WCG) feels kinda of bluish-greenish.

Are you casting onto a white wall ? what screen are you using? BenQs calibration isnt always best for everyones enviroment i suppose.

How are you finding the brightness drop with the wcg on... to much to handle or not that bad?
sage11x likes this.

post #2832 of 4161 Old 04-29-2019, 10:03 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineMoshka View Post
Are you casting onto a white wall ? what screen are you using? BenQs calibration isnt always best for everyones enviroment i suppose.

How are you finding the brightness drop with the wcg on... to much to handle or not that bad?
Ah, good point! My screen is painted on the wall (grey screen, based on some paint specs from the DIY forum from like 5 years ago). That could be the reason! lol

I watch in a totally dark environment, but WCG on does definitely make things a little too dark for me (my screen is 120 inches). I have a white screen stored somewhere, will try that to see if it helps!
sage11x likes this.
post #2833 of 4161 Old 04-29-2019, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfelicio View Post
Ah, good point! My screen is painted on the wall (grey screen, based on some paint specs from the DIY forum from like 5 years ago). That could be the reason! lol

I watch in a totally dark environment, but WCG on does definitely make things a little too dark for me (my screen is 120 inches). I have a white screen stored somewhere, will try that to see if it helps!

WCG might also suit the white wall better for more perceived brightness

post #2834 of 4161 Old 04-30-2019, 04:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:

I am also undecided whether I prefer the WCG filter on, or off. I’m so used to the vibrant image of my 4K TV that has become the water mark for my 4K viewing. I was watching some stunning nature videos on the YouTube HDR channel last night and left the filter off. There’s a video called Venice Carnival that features pastel colors. Colors were just too muted with the filter engaged. Later I watched Passengers 4K UHD and switched the filter on and off. I preferred it off. Unfortunately I also experienced my first major glitch last night. The 3550 completely locked-up and it took a hard re-boot to restore any image, even the BenQ logo. Having to pull the plug on a hot running projector is never a good thing! BenQ needs to get that first FW update out and soon. And so it goes for the BenQ beta-testers...
Spaded21, subacabra and ClassicQ8 like this.
post #2835 of 4161 Old 04-30-2019, 08:00 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
What is the best setting out of the XBox One X for color space with the HT3550, PC RBG or Standard?
post #2836 of 4161 Old 04-30-2019, 08:25 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
I submitted an RMA request with BenQ. I will decide what I am going to do once they respond. If I do not like the response I will return to Bestbuy and wait until issues are resolved before getting one again. If it drags on I may consider just getting the TK800M since my main uses are sports\movies\cableTV and the extra lumens should make up for lack or Iris (don't think the TK series has it)

Last edited by jblade44; 04-30-2019 at 09:16 AM.
post #2837 of 4161 Old 04-30-2019, 10:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

BenQ actually recommends leaving Brilliant Color on when the WCG filer is in place. It also gains you a few more lumens.

I posted this before but I’ll post it again:

HDR10 with WCG on/ D.Cinema. My fiancée and I use for serious, lights out, volume up, game faces on watching.

HDR10/Cinema. We use for a lot of our ‘casual’ movie watching or when company is over.

Vivid we use for lights on TV/Netflix.

Like any good display, you can adjust the HT3550 for your environment and the content you are watching.

post #2838 of 4161 Old 04-30-2019, 11:23 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Hey y'all, I was watching a UHD Blu-Ray rip of Captain America: Civil War last night (60 MBps HDR10) direct playing on Plex off of my Roku Streaming Stick+, and I noticed pretty substantial color banding in most scenes where a lot of blue sky was visible. Prime example being at about the 06:11 mark when Falcon reports to Cap that he counts 5 hostiles (he is backdropped by a wide shot of the light blue sky). I'll try to get a picture of it tonight but the banding was very obvious and pretty substantial. I played the same rip on the plex app on my 65" Samsing KS8000 and the banding was not noticeable (it may have been there but I didn't notice from about 8 ft away).

This is my first projector (along with the UHD50 that I had bought a few days before I bought this) so I'm not sure if PJs are inherently more prone to color banding on HDR content, but anybody have any ideas? I'm thinking maybe it's the Roku Plex app, but some googling hasn't led me to any other people seeing the same issue.

Last edited by Randomite; 04-30-2019 at 12:09 PM.
post #2839 of 4161 Old 04-30-2019, 11:49 AM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by jblade44 View Post
I submitted an RMA request with BenQ. I will decide what I am going to do once they respond. If I do not like the response I will return to Bestbuy and wait until issues are resolved before getting one again.
I dealt with BenQ directly once for dust blob removal: read two consecutive posts starting here:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...l#post56197648

You won't have to pay the $85 if it's under warranty. The rest probably applies. They turned it around pretty quick, but shipping takes time. Good luck!
post #2840 of 4161 Old 04-30-2019, 11:50 AM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 19
If you shelf mount this projector (so projector placed rightside up, not upside down) where should it be ideally be placed? At top side of screen or dead center?
post #2841 of 4161 Old 04-30-2019, 12:55 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
I dealt with BenQ directly once for dust blob removal: read two consecutive posts starting here:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...l#post56197648

You won't have to pay the $85 if it's under warranty. The rest probably applies. They turned it around pretty quick, but shipping takes time. Good luck!
Thanks.. they emailed me the 2 options.. return for repair or wait until they have stock to get replacement. They say should be mid May when they get some... I may go that route .. they may have a newer build with new batch and possibly a firmware update...
post #2842 of 4161 Old 04-30-2019, 01:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomite View Post
Hey y'all, I was watching a UHD Blu-Ray rip of Captain America: Civil War last night (60 MBps HDR10) direct playing on Plex off of my Roku Streaming Stick+, and I noticed pretty substantial color banding in most scenes where a lot of blue sky was visible. Prime example being at about the 06:11 mark when Falcon reports to Cap that he counts 5 hostiles (he is backdropped by a wide shot of the light blue sky). I'll try to get a picture of it
tonight but the banding was very obvious and pretty substantial. I played the same rip on the plex app on my 65" Samsing KS8000 and the banding was not noticeable (it may have been there but I didn't notice from about 8 ft away).

This is my first projector (along with the UHD50 that I had bought a few days before I bought this) so I'm not sure if PJs are inherently more prone to color banding on HDR content, but anybody have any ideas? I'm thinking maybe it's the Roku Plex app, but some googling hasn't led me to any other people seeing the same issue.
Try the scenes again and turn brilliant color on and off and see if it is a brilliant color issue. I had blotchiness in blues and other areas that was distracting and ended up turning brilliant color off.

Could also be compression issues since not a direct disc play???

How big is your screen compared to the tv? Maybe easier to see than on a smaller size???
post #2843 of 4161 Old 04-30-2019, 02:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hey y'all, I was watching a UHD Blu-Ray rip of Captain America: Civil War last night (60 MBps HDR10) direct playing on Plex off of my Roku Streaming Stick+, and I noticed pretty substantial color banding in most scenes where a lot of blue sky was visible. Prime example being at about the 06:11 mark when Falcon reports to Cap that he counts 5 hostiles (he is backdropped by a wide shot of the light blue sky). I'll try to get a picture of it tonight but the banding was very obvious and pretty substantial. I played the same rip on the plex app on my 65" Samsing KS8000 and the banding was not noticeable (it may have been there but I didn't notice from about 8 ft away).

Are you sure the issue isn't your rip? Unfortunately I can't test this as my copy of Civil War is HD only. Still, I've put over 100 hrs on this projector and have not seen any obvious banding. Which is actually a little bit surprising as just about every 4K DLP to this point has displayed some degree of banding on HDR content. While these are *technically 10 bit devices I've yet to see on that can fully pass projectorcentral's excellent 10 bit rotating test pattern. Credit to BenQ's HDR PRO Tone mapping.

post #2844 of 4161 Old 04-30-2019, 06:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Found another neat, albeit very short 4K demo video on YouTube, “LG Demo 4K 2019 Fresh”. The 3550 really shows off its chops on that demo. The color palette is just terrific. I also finally got around to checking out the 3D and popped in my Italian import of the Red Bull snow boarding film The Art of Flight. The 3D was as good as I recall on my BenQ 3050. I don’t watch that much 3D but it’s good to have the option which was absent from most of the first gen DLP 4K pixel shifters.
post #2845 of 4161 Old 04-30-2019, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samfield View Post
Found another neat, albeit very short 4K demo video on YouTube, “LG Demo 4K 2019 Fresh”. The 3550 really shows off its chops on that demo. The color palette is just terrific. I also finally got around to checking out the 3D and popped in my Italian import of the Red Bull snow boarding film The Art of Flight. The 3D was as good as I recall on my BenQ 3050. I don’t watch that much 3D but it’s good to have the option which was absent from most of the first gen DLP 4K pixel shifters.

Just checked that video out....WOW ...perfect for testing colours and contrast .. good find!

post #2846 of 4161 Old 05-01-2019, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
BenQ actually recommends leaving Brilliant Color on when the WCG filer is in place. It also gains you a few more lumens.

I posted this before but I’ll post it again:

HDR10 with WCG on/ D.Cinema. My fiancée and I use for serious, lights out, volume up, game faces on watching.

HDR10/Cinema. We use for a lot of our ‘casual’ movie watching or when company is over.

Vivid we use for lights on TV/Netflix.

Like any good display, you can adjust the HT3550 for your environment and the content you are watching.
I tried Brilliant color on with WCG and it gave everything a greenish tint to my eyes.

post #2847 of 4161 Old 05-01-2019, 06:35 AM

Quote:

No issues for me. UHD rip, Plex, Nvidia ShieldTV.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190501_002102.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	1,012.0 KB
ID:	2560960  
sage11x likes this.

post #2848 of 4161 Old 05-01-2019, 07:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I tried Brilliant color on with WCG and it gave everything a greenish tint to my eyes.

I hear this a lot and it’s a fair criticism but I would argue that it is not adding a green tint but rather taking out the cool blue tint that most digital displays tend towards. The Ht3550 has basically ruined every other display in my house save my THX plasma. Just my advice but I’d recommend watching a couple movies with it on before you give up on it.

post #2849 of 4161 Old 05-01-2019, 09:58 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by subacabra View Post
Good lord this video looked amazing!
So I tried to pause at the same spot, this is with settings at default with Brilliant Color on. I want to try your setting next, as long as my projector doesn't flake out again in the process.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TCL Cycle HT3550.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	794.4 KB
ID:	2561048  
post #2850 of 4161 Old 05-01-2019, 09:59 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello all,

I have recently the purchased a 3550 and I'm trying to figure out of this is normal or if this unit is defective. Basically, there is a click when the image comes on and the right half of the screen is slightly darker for a second or two. Then, about 10 seconds later, the right half of the screen goes black for a second. Beyond that, everything works perfectly and looks amazing. Is this normal? I am considering exchanging while im still within 30 days. I attempted to link to a video here but my post count isn't high enough (first time poster) Thought? Any help is appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page