BenQ W2700 / HT3550 Announcement and Owner’s Thread - Page 96 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2707Likes

post #2851 of 4743 Old 05-01-2019, 10:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 198 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2758 Post(s)
Liked: 2749
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Prezens View Post
Hello all,

I have recently the purchased a 3550 and I'm trying to figure out of this is normal or if this unit is defective. Basically, there is a click when the image comes on and the right half of the screen is slightly darker for a second or two. Then, about 10 seconds later, the right half of the screen goes black for a second. Beyond that, everything works perfectly and looks amazing. Is this normal? I am considering exchanging while im still within 30 days. I attempted to link to a video here but my post count isn't high enough (first time poster) Thought? Any help is appreciated!

That’s normal. What you’re seeing is the color filter engage / disengage. If you switch your picture mode to or from D.Cinema, or if you’re watching HDR10 and go into the picture menu to engage the wide color mode you will see this same behavior.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2852 of 4743 Old 05-01-2019, 10:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaded21 View Post
No issues for me. UHD rip, Plex, Nvidia ShieldTV.
Hey, thanks for checking! Really appreciate it! That does look better. Do you have HDR10 mode set to default settings?

I found another scene from a different movie that is concerning me. The shot of Stark tower from about a minute into Spider-Man: Homecoming - there's some fluffy clouds to the left that look really unnatural with the highlights blown out - almost like the PJ is having trouble hitting the bit depth needed for HDR.
post #2853 of 4743 Old 05-01-2019, 10:21 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Defective Unit or is this normal? VIDEO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
That’s normal. What you’re seeing is the color filter engage / disengage. If you switch your picture mode to or from D.Cinema, or if you’re watching HDR10 and go into the picture menu to engage the wide color mode you will see this same behavior.
THANK YOU! I was hoping that was the case. I have attached a link below to show you what I'm referring to. There was also one instance when the colours seemed to cycle as if the picture was cycling through different hues of colour but then I restarted the projector and it went away. HDMI issue? I just don't want to have to unmount and exchange it as there's a big backlog of orders at Bestbuy. Cheers!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1...xWQ0kzbzlfeFVJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2854 of 4743 Old 05-01-2019, 10:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomite View Post
Hey, thanks for checking! Really appreciate it! That does look better. Do you have HDR10 mode set to default settings?

I found another scene from a different movie that is concerning me. The shot of Stark tower from about a minute into Spider-Man: Homecoming - there's some fluffy clouds to the left that look really unnatural with the highlights blown out - almost like the PJ is having trouble hitting the bit depth needed for HDR.

At this point I’m going to suggest you investigate your source. I just watched that movie on UHD Blu-ray again the other night and I did so with a critical eye (prepping and taking notes for a follow up review on the HT3550 when the new firmware releases). I saw no banding.

Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

post #2855 of 4743 Old 05-01-2019, 10:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Prezens View Post
THANK YOU! I was hoping that was the case. I have attached a link below to show you what I'm referring to. There was also one instance when the colours seemed to cycle as if the picture was cycling through different hues of colour but then I restarted the projector and it went away. HDMI issue? I just don't want to have to unmount and exchange it as there's a big backlog of orders at Bestbuy. Cheers!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1...xWQ0kzbzlfeFVJ

My unit goes through a startup process where the on screen image will flash various colors and hues as well as full black frames. In the manual BenQ warns about the initiation sequence for the iris and filter but maybe doesn’t quite prepare you for how wild it looks.

It’s normal.

post #2856 of 4743 Old 05-01-2019, 10:28 AM

Quote:
At this point I’m going to suggest you investigate your source. I just watched that movie on UHD Blu-ray again the other night and I did so with a critical eye (prepping and taking notes for a follow up review on the HT3550 when the new firmware releases). I saw no banding.
So last night I cut out the middle man and plugged my Roku Stick+ directly into the hdmi at the back of the PJ. Definitely made the banding issue better for the Civil War scene, though didn't eliminate it.

The spider-man issue is still persisting though. The cloud edges look really saturated orange-yellow like blown out highlights. Same Roku Stick stuck into the back of the UHD50 I have lying around didn't show these blow outs. I've contacted Sean at BenQ so I'll see what he says.

Thanks for the follow up Sage.
sage11x likes this.
post #2857 of 4743 Old 05-01-2019, 10:29 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
My unit goes through a startup process where the on screen image will flash various colors and hues as well as full black frames. In the manual BenQ warns about the initiation sequence for the iris and filter but maybe doesn’t quite prepare you for how wild it looks.

It’s normal.
Many thanks once again! Now I can get back to enjoying this amazing projector!!!
post #2858 of 4743 Old 05-01-2019, 10:35 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Anyone from the UK got one of these yet??
post #2859 of 4743 Old 05-01-2019, 11:00 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
The spider-man issue is still persisting though. The cloud edges look really saturated orange-yellow like blown out highlights.
Did you try bachelor's suggestion and explore the effect of brilliant color? This exact kind of behavior on clouds and other very bright content is why I leave it off for critical viewing
post #2860 of 4743 Old 05-01-2019, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NxNW View Post
Did you try bachelor's suggestion and explore the effect of brilliant color? This exact kind of behavior on clouds and other very bright content is why I leave it off for critical viewing
Hey, yeah I did, and it helps, but Brilliant color was at 10 on the Optoma I mentioned and it showed literally no blow out - clouds looked natural.

Also, this PJ really does need the extra lumens that Brilliant Color imparts to near white and white content, especially wiith the Iris on and in HDR mode on a 120" screen. Even in a light controlled room, I do miss the light cannon that my KS8000 was in HDR mode.
post #2861 of 4743 Old 05-01-2019, 11:16 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Sounds good.

Meanwhile sage is there something coming up firmware-wise? Does your insider status get you an advance look? Or is this covered by an NDA or some such and you can 'neither confirm nor deny' ? 🙂
Quote:
... I did so with a critical eye (prepping and taking notes for a follow up review on the HT3550 when the new firmware releases)...
post #2862 of 4743 Old 05-01-2019, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NxNW View Post
To add, this bit from Art's review over at projectorreviews.com just makes me think my unit may be having issues:

"Note, Brilliant Color was on for almost all viewing. Use it. BenQ offers their version of Brilliant Color with just an on/off choices. Other manufacturers may offer a number of steps. BenQ’s normally are at their viewing best with Brilliant Color on, and we calibrate with it on, I believe on just about every BenQ."
NxNW likes this.
post #2863 of 4743 Old 05-01-2019, 01:02 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaded21 View Post
I tried Brilliant color on with WCG and it gave everything a greenish tint to my eyes.

Same here. Enough so that it's hard for me to believe it's the way it's supposed to look. If that is truely the way it's supposed to look, then so be it, but I'd love to get some confirmation from someone with a colorimeter.
post #2864 of 4743 Old 05-01-2019, 01:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked: 604
Quote:
Hey, yeah I did, and it helps, but Brilliant color was at 10 on the Optoma I mentioned and it showed literally no blow out - clouds looked natural.

Also, this PJ really does need the extra lumens that Brilliant Color imparts to near white and white content, especially wiith the Iris on and in HDR mode on a 120" screen. Even in a light controlled room, I do miss the light cannon that my KS8000 was in HDR mode.

I have an Optoma UHD60 and don't usually have much success with Brilliant Color above 2 or 3 due to some weird shimmer effects.
post #2865 of 4743 Old 05-01-2019, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0j0 View Post
I have an Optoma UHD60 and don't usually have much success with Brilliant Color above 2 or 3 due to some weird shimmer effects.
Interesting. Is there supposed to be this much variation from unit to unit in PJs?

Art over at projectorreviews.com just confirmed they never turn off brilliant color on BenQs because they are factory calibrated to display better grayscale with it on.
post #2866 of 4743 Old 05-01-2019, 02:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Not HDR but still good SDR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineMoshka View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samfield View Post
Found another neat, albeit very short 4K demo video on YouTube, “LG Demo 4K 2019 Fresh”. The 3550 really shows off its chops on that demo. The color palette is just terrific. I also finally got around to checking out the 3D and popped in my Italian import of the Red Bull snow boarding film The Art of Flight. The 3D was as good as I recall on my BenQ 3050. I don’t watch that much 3D but it’s good to have the option which was absent from most of the first gen DLP 4K pixel shifters.

Just checked that video out....WOW ...perfect for testing colours and contrast .. good find!

Display: Optoma UHD51A Projector > Elite Screens R135WH1 ezFrame | 7.2.4 Audio: Onkyo TX-RZ920 9.2ch Network A/V Receiver, M-5010 2ch Amplifier; Definitive Technology ProCenter 2000, ProMonitor 1000(x10), SuperCube I & 4000 | Sources: PC, DirecTV, Apple 4K, Fire Stick 4K, Oppo UDP-203, Chromecast & Roku Ultras, Xbox One X, PlayStation 4 Pro & Nintendo Switch | Remote: Harmony Elite | HDMI: 40' Monoprice DynamicView+4x1 Switch
post #2867 of 4743 Old 05-01-2019, 02:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 146
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...ulLhtmt358niZ6

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...bo9kf-kwm7usog

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...WJG7BOpluMyIT2

Many are some of the first pitched for the Chromecast 4K Ultra.

If the HDR ones don't play in HDR, your device may not support it (like the Apple TV 4K currently).

Display: Optoma UHD51A Projector > Elite Screens R135WH1 ezFrame | 7.2.4 Audio: Onkyo TX-RZ920 9.2ch Network A/V Receiver, M-5010 2ch Amplifier; Definitive Technology ProCenter 2000, ProMonitor 1000(x10), SuperCube I & 4000 | Sources: PC, DirecTV, Apple 4K, Fire Stick 4K, Oppo UDP-203, Chromecast & Roku Ultras, Xbox One X, PlayStation 4 Pro & Nintendo Switch | Remote: Harmony Elite | HDMI: 40' Monoprice DynamicView+4x1 Switch
post #2868 of 4743 Old 05-01-2019, 03:53 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLPdisciple View Post
Anyone from the UK got one of these yet??

I got the w5700.... projector point si your best bet ... they are even cheaper than benq direct..

BenQ W5700 | XY Screen 120" ALR Black Crystal - Gain 2.0 | Xbox one X | Soundbar
post #2869 of 4743 Old 05-01-2019, 04:41 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Has anyone from Australia got one yet? I pre-ordered from a Sydney retailer on 5 April and haven't been told when or why the delay?
post #2870 of 4743 Old 05-01-2019, 04:56 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Received mine yesterday but having a hard time to get the colors to look right.. I used Anthony’s settings and it’s a bit better but the whites don’t look quite right. Also, is the darkening on the right half of the image considered normal? I’ve attached a picture. Switching WCG on/off or brilliant color on/off didn’t make a difference until I restarted the projector.

So far my initial impressions are that it’s good but not great. I previously had the Benq W1070. I will also be considering the TK800M since I watch sports (especially with playoffs right now) and it would be great to get a bright image during the day.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4DF7EDCE-C40B-47A1-B810-5EF8AE5A30CD_1556754946380.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	2561218  
post #2871 of 4743 Old 05-01-2019, 06:36 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Striper Mark View Post
Same here, I kept thinking I needed to adjust focus as well.... Lot's of comments on twitter as well from people with regular TV's so I'm hoping it's a one off...
A technical explanation of the GOT image.
https://techcrunch.com/2019/04/29/wh...s-the-science/
post #2872 of 4743 Old 05-01-2019, 07:14 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Did anyone upgrade to the ht3550 from the ht8050? Is it worth it ?
post #2873 of 4743 Old 05-01-2019, 09:26 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Just set up my 3550 .. got it from Amazon .. don't have a real screen so picked up a cheap one from eBay .. image looks great.. don't have other projectors to compare to and I'm new to 4k HDR but image is nice and sharp and colors look very natural. So far I'm just using the out of the box settings with lamp set to eco mode and brightness turned down to 38 (from default 50) .. I do wish blacks were darker but that probably has to do with my 1.1 gain screen. Just used it with a 4k fire stick for now and tried some prime content and YouTube. I can tell when I'm watching 4k but how do I know if I'm getting HDR or not?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
post #2874 of 4743 Old 05-01-2019, 11:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1693 Post(s)
Liked: 4919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fant View Post
Just set up my 3550 .. got it from Amazon .. don't have a real screen so picked up a cheap one from eBay .. image looks great.. don't have other projectors to compare to and I'm new to 4k HDR but image is nice and sharp and colors look very natural. So far I'm just using the out of the box settings with lamp set to eco mode and brightness turned down to 38 (from default 50) .. I do wish blacks were darker but that probably has to do with my 1.1 gain screen. Just used it with a 4k fire stick for now and tried some prime content and YouTube. I can tell when I'm watching 4k but how do I know if I'm getting HDR or not?

It will switch into the HDR10 picture mode, as seen here(I cropped pic to see better)
You can confirm by going into picture modes in the menu too.
post #2875 of 4743 Old 05-02-2019, 03:31 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
After 2 months finally received mine. Switched from Epson 3010/TW6000 so it's been awhile since last pj update for me.
In general I kind of hoped for a bigger improvement but there was nice surprises too e.g. previous pj had so terrible black levels that even HT3550 makes dark scenes look a lot better. I took some comparison pictures in case someone is interested.

Now the deal breaker for me is the noise. In my opinion it's terrible. I know it said on the paper its some 2-3 dB louder than my previous pj but then all reviews said "it's not that bad". I know it's subjective but the noise in eco mode is so loud that even during night time when I have to use Sony MDR-HW700 headsets I can hear the it clearly through even when there's a dialogue going on. Strangely the fan speed keeps also varying all the time (like 10s intervals) between Eco and Normal rpms and in my room it's only about 24 C (75 F). PJ is ceiling mounted without anything close to it blocking air in any way.
Then there's occasionally some odd noises like after first tests when I switched it off, it kept some odd ticking/tapping noise for almost whole cooling period. Sounded somewhat similar to DCI filter engage sound. Filter wasn't engaged before shutdown. Once when I started it I heard nasty sounding high pitch 'skreek' noise for a second.

One thing I have to mention is that I can't hear the dynamic iris at all. In Epson it kept horrid HDD like crackling without custom modification. Downside is that the brightness pumping is more noticeable than in that old Epson.
post #2876 of 4743 Old 05-02-2019, 03:38 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by subacabra View Post
It will switch into the HDR10 picture mode, as seen here(I cropped pic to see better)
You can confirm by going into picture modes in the menu too.
I think with my firestick 4k it's always in that mode so I can't really tell if content has it or not. I've never seen it change.

post #2877 of 4743 Old 05-02-2019, 04:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Same here. Enough so that it's hard for me to believe it's the way it's supposed to look. If that is truely the way it's supposed to look, then so be it, but I'd love to get some confirmation from someone with a colorimeter.
Same here, I never use brilliant color. To my eyes, it totally messes with the colors.
post #2878 of 4743 Old 05-02-2019, 05:30 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
I think with my firestick 4k it's always in that mode so I can't really tell if content has it or not. I've never seen it change.

Yes.. mine too.. Always in HDR10 mode with Firestick 4K.. this can't be right can it ? I also was getting this with xbox when first connected.. but now xbox only goes into HDR10 mode when in Netflix... does not for Youtube 4K... also starting to get weird things happen.. flesh tones get blotches on them and screen flickers from light to darker shades .. I think this is what others have complained about. The blotches seem to correct themselves after projector is on for >30 mins... could be the source as well I suspect... I will be RMAing mine or possibly returning to BB before the 30 days expires since I have dust blobs as well..
post #2879 of 4743 Old 05-02-2019, 06:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1693 Post(s)
Liked: 4919
Quote:

I have a Fire stick 4k on my HDR/DV capable bar tv and these are my video settings. I get HDR when the content has it, and not without.
Not sure if it will help as obviously yours is on the pj but worth a try.
post #2880 of 4743 Old 05-02-2019, 07:35 AM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Hey all,

I posted my impressions in the TK800M thread but I've copied it below if anyone is on the fence between the TK800M and HT3550. Scottyroo's review pretty much hit the nail on the head -- the TK800M is great in a living room environment with ambient light if you're looking for a versatile projector for movies, gaming, and especially sports. The HT3550 is much better in a DARK, light-controlled environment (I found that even the slightest ambient light would cut through the image) and has better blacks for movies. I ended up going with the TK800M.

I had a terrible time with the HT3550 -- my model was most likely defective. The colors were awful and no amount of tweaking could fix the colors to look right. I also had issues where the screen would be darker on the right half of the image and it would stay that way until I restarted the projector. There were times when the projector booted up and the image was all white with random splotches of black (see attached images). There were also sharpness issues and I couldn't focus the lens to make the image sharp enough. Lastly, since this in my living room, even though I have blackout curtains, if there's any sort of ambient light, then the HT3550 will not be bright enough. I found myself trying to make the HT3550 with WCG off to get the extra brightness, but it still wasn't bright enough. In the end, it wasn't worth the hassle of constantly trying to adjust the image or fix the various bugs that are present with the current production model. I bought on April 26th hoping that most of the early issues would have been gone, but my projector still had all the reported issues.

The TK800M was much better for my use case. It's a great all-around projector that displays a bright, SHARP image that works great for movies, gaming and especially sports. The blacks aren't nearly as nice and the HDR mapping HT3550 is much better, however, unless you have the right light control (which you most likely can't in a living room), then TK800M will be a better fit for most people. The only downside is that it has a shorter zoom and no lens shift which makes placement a little more difficult. I was only able to project a 99" image due to the distance restrictions I have but that trade off is worth it for the versatility, brightness, and sharpness the TK800M has to offer. I was also able to get the TK800M for 20% off at Fry's making my total cost $1122 including tax vs $1619 for the HT3550 from Benq Direct. At a $500 difference, the decision was a no-brainer!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-0781.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	2561406   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-0777.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	938.0 KB
ID:	2561408  
fbottone likes this.
Sponsored Links