BenQ W2700 / HT3550 Announcement and Owner’s Thread - Page 97 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2357Likes

post #2881 of 4225 Old 05-02-2019, 09:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keltron View Post
Hey all,

I posted my impressions in the TK800M thread but I've copied it below if anyone is on the fence between the TK800M and HT3550. Scottyroo's review pretty much hit the nail on the head -- the TK800M is great in a living room environment with ambient light if you're looking for a versatile projector for movies, gaming, and especially sports. The HT3550 is much better in a DARK, light-controlled environment (I found that even the slightest ambient light would cut through the image) and has better blacks for movies. I ended up going with the TK800M.

I had a terrible time with the HT3550 -- my model was most likely defective. The colors were awful and no amount of tweaking could fix the colors to look right. I also had issues where the screen would be darker on the right half of the image and it would stay that way until I restarted the projector. There were times when the projector booted up and the image was all white with random splotches of black (see attached images). There were also sharpness issues and I couldn't focus the lens to make the image sharp enough. Lastly, since this in my living room, even though I have blackout curtains, if there's any sort of ambient light, then the HT3550 will not be bright enough. I found myself trying to make the HT3550 with WCG off to get the extra brightness, but it still wasn't bright enough. In the end, it wasn't worth the hassle of constantly trying to adjust the image or fix the various bugs that are present with the current production model. I bought on April 26th hoping that most of the early issues would have been gone, but my projector still had all the reported issues.

The TK800M was much better for my use case. It's a great all-around projector that displays a bright, SHARP image that works great for movies, gaming and especially sports. The blacks aren't nearly as nice and the HDR mapping HT3550 is much better, however, unless you have the right light control (which you most likely can't in a living room), then TK800M will be a better fit for most people. The only downside is that it has a shorter zoom and no lens shift which makes placement a little more difficult. I was only able to project a 99" image due to the distance restrictions I have but that trade off is worth it for the versatility, brightness, and sharpness the TK800M has to offer. I was also able to get the TK800M for 20% off at Fry's making my total cost $1122 including tax vs $1619 for the HT3550 from Benq Direct. At a $500 difference, the decision was a no-brainer!
Yeah.. I am on the fence to return my HT3550 and buy the TK800M...or get a replacement 3550... have 2 weeks until my 30 day window will be closed for return and no cost replacement from BenQ (30 day DOA policy)....My problem with the TK would be placement.. the 3550 is 14ft from screen to get 140 inch image.... I only have another 2 feet or less so not sure what my max srceen would be.. calculator says 16ft for 140" which would put it up against wall but lens would be width of projector closer....

Have you had any of the issues that the 3550 is having with the 800M?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2882 of 4225 Old 05-02-2019, 09:16 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jblade44 View Post
Yeah.. I am on the fence to return my HT3550 and buy the TK800M...or get a replacement 3550... have 2 weeks until my 30 day window will be closed for return and no cost replacement from BenQ (30 day DOA policy)....My problem with the TK would be placement.. the 3550 is 14ft from screen to get 140 inch image.... I only have another 2 feet or less so not sure what my max srceen would be.. calculator says 16ft for 140" which would put it up against wall but lens would be width of projector closer....

I had the 3550 and returned it for the 800M and couldn't be happier. Haven't run into any issues and the picture is fantastic. Just watched "Into the Spider Verse" in 4K the other day and it looked incredible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #2883 of 4225 Old 05-02-2019, 09:35 AM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jblade44 View Post

No issues at all besides placement distance with the TK800M. No tinkering, no fuss. The image looks great without any adjustments but black levels aren’t nearly as good. I think you’ll really appreciate the image and especially the brightness if you’re coming from a TV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2884 of 4225 Old 05-02-2019, 09:44 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Forgot to mention that also the pixel shifting in my unit makes really noticeable high pitch noise even though reviews tell it's not audible in this unit (compared to previous models). Switching silent mode off adds about 50% total noise when fans run in eco mode speed.
post #2885 of 4225 Old 05-02-2019, 09:46 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomite View Post
Hey, thanks for checking! Really appreciate it! That does look better. Do you have HDR10 mode set to default settings?

I found another scene from a different movie that is concerning me. The shot of Stark tower from about a minute into Spider-Man: Homecoming - there's some fluffy clouds to the left that look really unnatural with the highlights blown out - almost like the PJ is having trouble hitting the bit depth needed for HDR.
I checked this one out last night too. With the WCG filter off and brilliant color on, I saw something like what you are describing. Turning off brilliant color resolved it though. First pic BC off, second pic BC on. Homecoming is the first movie I've watched that definitely looks better with it off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190502_000259.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	2561502   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190502_000245.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	590.1 KB
ID:	2561504  

7.2.4 BenQ/Marantz/HTD/Micca/SVS/Dayton
post #2886 of 4225 Old 05-02-2019, 09:46 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
please help this confused soul.

first time HT set-up....I bought a Optoma UHD50 last week and so far it looks good. I had ordered a Benq 3550 from Frys and it is ready to be picked up. I so wanted the 3550 going by the initial reviews..so my plan was to return the UHD50 and use the 3550 once it comes.

Now reading all the comments..I am confused whether to keep my UHD50 or go ahead return and use the Benq 3550.

Can you'll experts please help me. I dont have a dedicated media room..but the game room I am using for my HT set-up gets pretty dark after putting up room darkening curtains.
post #2887 of 4225 Old 05-02-2019, 09:48 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by ni317954 View Post

first time HT set-up....I bought a Optoma UHD50 last week and so far it looks good. I had ordered a Benq 3550 from Frys and it is ready to be picked up. I so wanted the 3550 going by the initial reviews..so my plan was to return the UHD50 and use the 3550 once it comes.

Now reading all the comments..I am confused whether to keep my UHD50 or go ahead return and use the Benq 3550.

Can you'll experts please help me. I dont have a dedicated media room..but the game room I am using for my HT set-up gets pretty dark after putting up room darkening curtains.
Why not pick up the HT3550 and compare them yourself in your own viewing environment. Then keep the one you like best. That will be better than anyone's opinion here.

7.2.4 BenQ/Marantz/HTD/Micca/SVS/Dayton
post #2888 of 4225 Old 05-02-2019, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaded21 View Post
Why not pick up the HT3550 and compare them yourself in your own viewing environment. Then keep the one you like best. That will be better than anyone's opinion here.
Agree...but I was more worried about all the display issues that have been discussed here vs the image quality between the two models and is it worth to even go with 3550 at this point.
post #2889 of 4225 Old 05-02-2019, 10:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
I am in the same boat.
Upgrading from a benq 1070 to

Tk800m OR ht 3550

I wonder if benq has a good return policy. Might get the tk800 from Amazon. I think they take things back noquestions asked.
post #2890 of 4225 Old 05-02-2019, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ensyed View Post
I am in the same boat.
Upgrading from a benq 1070 to

Tk800m OR ht 3550

I wonder if benq has a good return policy. Might get the tk800 from Amazon. I think they take things back noquestions asked.
What's your room situation? Dedicated home theater or living room? If it's in a living room then TK800M all the way. In my opinion, the HT3550 needs to have perfect ambient light control and painted rooms. The projector simply isn't bright enough to use anywhere else.
post #2891 of 4225 Old 05-02-2019, 11:47 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Sigh. I told I couldn't hear the dynamic iris sound. Well, might be because it doesn't work on my unit. I assumed it does as I noticed pumping brightness in movies but now that I did some more noise tests and tried to switch it on/off I couldn't notice any dimming even with pitch black image nor could I see the iris action like in scotty's video (or was it sage's, well anyway). Actually the image just gets a bit brighter when I activate it??

Here's some noise comparisons to my old timer Epson and another more interesting one giving some idea of the pixel shifter noise. In real life the high pitch noise is really annoying over the smooth fan noise. Never mind the smog. Wife burned something... I mean cooked something delicious.
post #2892 of 4225 Old 05-02-2019, 12:01 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi ya'll, first time poster. First, thank you for all the info in this thread, been very helpful.

I did have a question, with the WCG filter on, does anyone else notice their fan starts spinning faster? I run mine in eco lamp mode 99% of the time, and its noise level is only noticeable during quiet dialog scenes, but when I turn on WCG/D.Cinema mode, it must get hot cause the fan gets LOUD (seems louder than even running Cinema in normal lamp mode). Anyone else noticing this?

Also, while I've got the image orientation to stay to its last mode in power on, the Mute on the projector won't stay muted after being turned off. I'm sure this is something that can be addressed with a FW update, but having to mute it every time I turn the projector on is a little annoying.

Otherwise, this is a great projector, luckily haven't had any issues with color, IRIS, or anything else I've been reading about in this thread. Thanks again ya'll.
post #2893 of 4225 Old 05-02-2019, 12:14 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Got mine this afternoon and after a couple of little niggles have to say, so far very happy - no issues with the projector apart from the fact that it didn't like my existing HDMI cable so I had to temporarily de mount it and run it on the coffee table using a shorter HDMI lead (4K is quite picky about cable quality) Did a couple of quick test samples from my 4K discs but decided to start off with Avatar - impressive! colours good out of the box and Black levels decent.

Running a 120" Grey screen and in a light controlled environment - was worried that I might need to run in standard or smart eco mode for brightness but eco mode seems fine for now and the settings can be tweaked should I feel the need.

Next up The Martian to give HDR a workout :-)
post #2894 of 4225 Old 05-02-2019, 12:28 PM

Quote:

My original reply got deleted so I removed any pricing references. I am reposting because I think it's important for you to be aware of the potential restocking fee.

Original post:
You should consider the TK800M as well depending on where the projector will be in your house. I had a lot of issues with the HT3550 -- the half display issue, color issues, brightness issues, and overall strange bugs like the projector only displaying a white background with splotches of black.

Also, I wasn't able to get an answer on Fry's return policy. Some associates said they have a 10 or 15% restocking fee if you use more than 1 hour or 10 hours of the projector. Again, some people said there was a fee and some people said there wasn't. I couldn't find anything on their site that mentioned it but something I wanted to make sure you're aware of!
post #2895 of 4225 Old 05-02-2019, 12:32 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I spent some time with multiple HDR films last night to focus on the settings and learned some things. I was mainly looking at color accuracy and contrast. For me, the default recommended settings turned out to be the best. Lowering the HDR gamma just made everything darker. Increased gamma started to blow out highlights. I had the best color contrast with both WCG and Brilliant Color enabled. There was a noticeable decrease in contrast with WCG off. Whites seemed more accurate without BC, but everything else looked off, especially greens.

Something I noticed is that BC is enabled whenever WCG is toggled off or on, regardless of the menu setting. You have to toggle BC on/off to disable it. Another bug for the list.

Also interesting is that none of the Youtube demo material illustrates the greenish tint. It's only noticeable in movies, which tend to be much dimmer than demo material.
post #2896 of 4225 Old 05-02-2019, 01:25 PM

Quote:
What's your room situation? Dedicated home theater or living room? If it's in a living room then TK800M all the way. In my opinion, the HT3550 needs to have perfect ambient light control and painted rooms. The projector simply isn't bright enough to use anywhere else.
I am using a game room..for my HT setup...so with room darkening curtains can make the room pretty dark.
post #2897 of 4225 Old 05-02-2019, 01:28 PM

Quote:
My original reply got deleted so I removed any pricing references. I am reposting because I think it's important for you to be aware of the potential restocking fee.

Original post:
You should consider the TK800M as well depending on where the projector will be in your house. I had a lot of issues with the HT3550 -- the half display issue, color issues, brightness issues, and overall strange bugs like the projector only displaying a white background with splotches of black.

Also, I wasn't able to get an answer on Fry's return policy. Some associates said they have a 10 or 15% restocking fee if you use more than 1 hour or 10 hours of the projector. Again, some people said there was a fee and some people said there wasn't. I couldn't find anything on their site that mentioned it but something I wanted to make sure you're aware of!
When I asked Frys..I was told you can return it within 30 days if all the original packaging is still in place. Thanks for informing about the re-stocking fee associated with usage of projector. I will check on that.

I did get the UHD50 using their in-store daily discount and they will honor it for 3550 as well. So still there will be ~400 difference between the two. with all the comments I am reading...not sure if it is worth paying that difference and then deal with all the issues ..especially using a PJ for the first time...so my viewing experience has been upgraded form laptop/TV for the first time.
post #2898 of 4225 Old 05-02-2019, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Original post:

When I asked Frys..I was told you can return it within 30 days if all the original packaging is still in place. Thanks for informing about the re-stocking fee associated with usage of projector. I will check on that.

I did get the UHD50 using their in-store daily discount and they will honor it for 3550 as well. So still there will be ~400 difference between the two. with all the comments I am reading...not sure if it is worth paying that difference and then deal with all the issues [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/frown.gif[/IMG]..especially using a PJ for the first time...so my viewing experience has been upgraded form laptop/TV for the first time.
If you’re coming from a TV then definitely get the TK800M — especially if you’re into gaming. The HT3550 simply wasn’t bright enough and I think you’ll really appreciate the image, brightness, and input lag. Save the $400 or potentially wait for the bright HT3550.
post #2899 of 4225 Old 05-02-2019, 05:22 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
So just a heads up to gamers, I got mine about a week ago and I am returning it. I play COD, FPS exclusively and am coming from a W1070, I read everything and thought the change in input lag between the 1070 and 3550 wouldn't be a big deal. After about 15 hours of playing, my KD ratio was cut in half. I used ScottyRoo's best settings to remove the lag, but still didn't matter. What's worse is I loaned my W1070 to a friend and his K/D doubled. I know on paper there didn't seem to be a big difference in input lag between the two projectors but my setup was exactly the same, cable and power plug, direct from a ps4 pro. Friends at first kept commenting how bad I was planning, which quickly turned to ribbing about how much better they had gotten....not worth the 4K .

Ill be watching and waiting for Benq to release a 4K version of the HT2050A with sub 20ms lag, hopeful sub 16ms to keep it to one frame.
post #2900 of 4225 Old 05-02-2019, 05:28 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by awest74 View Post

Ill be watching and waiting for Benq to release a 4K version of the HT2050A with sub 20ms lag, hopeful sub 16ms to keep it to one frame.
I hope you're a patient person..

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk
sage11x and Spaded21 like this.
post #2901 of 4225 Old 05-02-2019, 06:13 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked: 280
Quote:
So just a heads up to gamers, I got mine about a week ago and I am returning it. I play COD, FPS exclusively and am coming from a W1070, I read everything and thought the change in input lag between the 1070 and 3550 wouldn't be a big deal. After about 15 hours of playing, my KD ratio was cut in half. I used ScottyRoo's best settings to remove the lag, but still didn't matter. What's worse is I loaned my W1070 to a friend and his K/D doubled. I know on paper there didn't seem to be a big difference in input lag between the two projectors but my setup was exactly the same, cable and power plug, direct from a ps4 pro. Friends at first kept commenting how bad I was planning, which quickly turned to ribbing about how much better they had gotten....not worth the 4K .

There's no law that says you can't use a low latency 1080p PJ for gaming and a 4K PJ for cinema.
post #2902 of 4225 Old 05-02-2019, 07:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1606 Post(s)
Liked: 4684
Quote:
Originally Posted by DunMunro View Post
There's no law that says you can't use a low latency 1080p PJ for gaming and a 4K PJ for cinema.
Ding ding! I use my ht2050 for fps gaming and love it. HT3550 for eye candy games like Far Cry 5, Forza Horizon 4 etc.
Samfield, sage11x, ng4ever and 1 others like this.
post #2903 of 4225 Old 05-02-2019, 07:39 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Hey all,

I posted my impressions in the TK800M thread but I've copied it below if anyone is on the fence between the TK800M and HT3550. Scottyroo's review pretty much hit the nail on the head -- the TK800M is great in a living room environment with ambient light if you're looking for a versatile projector for movies, gaming, and especially sports. The HT3550 is much better in a DARK, light-controlled environment (I found that even the slightest ambient light would cut through the image) and has better blacks for movies. I ended up going with the TK800M.

I had a terrible time with the HT3550 -- my model was most likely defective. The colors were awful and no amount of tweaking could fix the colors to look right. I also had issues where the screen would be darker on the right half of the image and it would stay that way until I restarted the projector. There were times when the projector booted up and the image was all white with random splotches of black (see attached images). There were also sharpness issues and I couldn't focus the lens to make the image sharp enough. Lastly, since this in my living room, even though I have blackout curtains, if there's any sort of ambient light, then the HT3550 will not be bright enough. I found myself trying to make the HT3550 with WCG off to get the extra brightness, but it still wasn't bright enough. In the end, it wasn't worth the hassle of constantly trying to adjust the image or fix the various bugs that are present with the current production model. I bought on April 26th hoping that most of the early issues would have been gone, but my projector still had all the reported issues.

The TK800M was much better for my use case. It's a great all-around projector that displays a bright, SHARP image that works great for movies, gaming and especially sports. The blacks aren't nearly as nice and the HDR mapping HT3550 is much better, however, unless you have the right light control (which you most likely can't in a living room), then TK800M will be a better fit for most people. The only downside is that it has a shorter zoom and no lens shift which makes placement a little more difficult. I was only able to project a 99" image due to the distance restrictions I have but that trade off is worth it for the versatility, brightness, and sharpness the TK800M has to offer. I was also able to get the TK800M for 20% off at Fry's making my total cost $1122 including tax vs $1619 for the HT3550 from Benq Direct. At a $500 difference, the decision was a no-brainer!
That's interesting as my HT3550 has been the exact opposite. I tried it in my family room in the evening and had all lights off except a few nightlights and it looked fantastic. No issues adjusting the focus the first time. I actually found the picture too bright so i turned down the brightness and changed the lamp mode to eco. Maybe you should ask for a replacement or just return and rebuy so you get a new one with another 30 days to decide.
curtlots and sage11x like this.
post #2904 of 4225 Old 05-02-2019, 08:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 2644 Post(s)
Liked: 2584
Quote:

Never say never but I wouldn’t count on this happening anytime soon. The nature of the Texas Instrument XPR system (pixel shift) utilized here does not seem capable of low input lag. The lowest we’ve seen is in the low 40s. The lowest I’ve personally measured was last years HT2550 at 45/46ms.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
post #2905 of 4225 Old 05-02-2019, 08:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fant View Post
That's interesting as my HT3550 has been the exact opposite. I tried it in my family room in the evening and had all lights off except a few nightlights and it looked fantastic. No issues adjusting the focus the first time. I actually found the picture too bright so i turned down the brightness and changed the lamp mode to eco. Maybe you should ask for a replacement or just return and rebuy so you get a new one with another 30 days to decide.

I don’t find the HT3550 the least bit dim either but if he’s happy with the TK800M my guess is he needs the lumens. I reviewed the TK800 and it was so bright I actually found it difficult to review without turning the lights on— that’s how bright it is. These two projectors are just totally different in their intended use.

Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

post #2906 of 4225 Old 05-02-2019, 08:30 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
I don’t find the HT3550 the least bit dim either but if he’s happy with the TK800M my guess is he needs the lumens. I reviewed the TK800 and it was so bright I actually found it difficult to review without turning the lights on— that’s how bright it is. These two projectors are just totally different in their intended use.

Do you game sage ... hows the Lag for you ? I didnt notice anythign on fps battlefield v

BenQ W5700 | XY Screen 120" ALR Black Crystal - Gain 2.0 | Xbox one X | Soundbar
post #2907 of 4225 Old 05-02-2019, 09:36 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Just got Amazon notification that they had some in stock...they had a whole 6 in stock. Looked up a few things before buying, went back to amazon, said 5 left, put in my cart, once in cart it said ONE left...i hit that BUY NOW real quick lol...got the last one. Looking forward to seeing how it compared to my HT1075 I bought in 2015
DivineMoshka likes this.
post #2908 of 4225 Old 05-02-2019, 09:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineMoshka View Post
Do you game sage ... hows the Lag for you ? I didnt notice anythign on fps battlefield v

I do. In isolation, the Ht3550 certainly doesn’t feel as bad as it’s 60/70ms number would suggest. I credit that to DLP’s excellent motion handling and the fact that most AAA games these days feature luxurious animations that go a long way towards masking lag. But, for me, the lag is noticeable and it sticks out if you have a low latency display you can switch to on the fly. While I’ve played some single player on the HT3550 just to see all the pretty pictures (Spider-Man in particular is absolutely stunning on this display) I’ve stuck with normal/casual difficulty to avoid getting frustrated. I won’t be attempting any Valkyrie fights in God of War on this thing nor will I be trying to set a high score on the Topaz boss in Geometry Wars. But then I’m quite sensitive to lag and in my old age my reflexes aren’t getting any better so I need every advantage I can get.
DivineMoshka likes this.

post #2909 of 4225 Old 05-02-2019, 10:24 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'll definitely test out if I feel lag or not with my PS4Pro. Right now I play on a Sony X900E. I feel no lag in Game Mode. Out of game mode I definitely notice the lag. Curious to see how it will feel with the HT3550. I know on another TV my bro and friend said they felt slight lag while I never noticed any lag at all. Be nice to not notice on the 3550.
post #2910 of 4225 Old 05-02-2019, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fant View Post
Thanks, maybe it’s worth a shot since I have both. It depends how quickly Benq can get me a replacement. Since my write-up, I read the review on ProjectorReviews and it looked like they had the same experience as me with their first unit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page