BenQ W2700 / HT3550 Announcement and Owner’s Thread - Page 98 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2359Likes

post #2911 of 4225 Old 05-03-2019, 08:28 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Really torn right now between the HT3550 and the TK800M

My first concern is lumen output. I do not need a light cannon but I do like a lively image. Coming from a W1070 which provided a bright enough image for me (non maxed, user calibrated cinema mode with BC on) I was happy to hear the HT3550 had the same stated lumen output. But more i read and hear there seems to be a decent gap between stated lumens and actual measured lumen output between the two. I don't have a blacked out viewing area more of a living room set up in he basement with taupe walls and a 8 foot high white ceiling but I do 99 percent of my viewing when the sun is down so ambient light is not an issue. My viewing Habits are (in order of most viewed): TV Series (non-live, non streamed downloaded/disc based content), Sports, Gaming, Movies, Regular Dish TV

My second concern is placement, but this is more of a TK800 thing. My screen is 10 inches below the ceiling so I'm pretty sure I'm good as far as offset but I'm looking at putting it it a 12 foot deep room. With my screen being 100" that means at minimum I need the lens to be 10'11" from the screen and with the TK800 being 11 inches deep I'm looking at a paltry single inch of play behind the projector ... that's pretty tight. I already own 90 degree hdmi and power adapters so I think I'd be good, plus I'd be willing to cut into my wall if need be ... so maybe this is moot.

Third is noise. The W1070 sites about two feet about my main seating potion and i barely notice it. Sure, every now and then when it revs up I take notice but those are few and far between. I know how much fan noise bothers each person is subjective but it sounds like the ht3550 makes quite the racket.

Fourth is gaming. I'm almost exclusively a a single player experience kind of guy .... living in warren county New Jersey with a paltry 4mb down and .5mb up max available internet speed will do this to a man ... so I do not think the lag will be an issue, but the 15-20ms trade off between the HT3550 and TK800 is worth considering. I'm good for about 10-15 hours a week, so it will be about 30 percent of my viewing experience. Plus, if any of the brighter, saturated color modes of TV's and projectors are worth a damn is gaming so the lumen bump might be worth it here as I'll be gaming mostly in 4K/HDR

Fifth is Stability issues. I understand the HT3550 is a new product line with a new design and OS and with that comes growing pains but as someone who lives and works in the tech world it just seems like the issues with the HT3550 go beyond just growing pains. The bizarre screen flashing, split screen dimming, iris pumping, not remembering settings, fickle HDR lock, etc ... some of these seem outside of the norm, even if Benq states otherwise. That and the thought that all of these issue being fixable via a firmware update have me hesitant. Not everything in the HT3550 can be modified or updated via the FW so how much is fixable, how much isn't, and how mush is just faulty to due a rush to market. I love "new" as much as the next guy but with the TK800 having more seasoned bones it's a bit safer of a bet.

The price point is sixth. This is the one that really pushes me towards the HT3550. Really not much to say here other than additional bells and whistles that the HT3550 has over the TK800 at only a $200 bump is insane and seems more than worth it. If the TK800 was closer to $1100 this wouldn't even be an argument, but man ...

And sixth is FOMO. Sure, the fear of missing out is always "there" when dealing with AV or tech, but as someone who has lovingly ridden his W1070 to the proverbial end I'm "buy-in-and-be-there-for-the-long-haul kind of guy I only switched to that sucker because I moved and my Optoma HD33 wouldn't throw 110" in my new place when I moved, so the next projector I buy I'll probably own for quite a while. My issue is if I bite on the TK800 with the Bright version of the HT3550 come and kick me in the arse in a few months ... I know this one is the typical tug-of-war we all deal with, but I couldn't help but mention it.

In the end I'm leaning towards the TK800 as I think it just fits better ... well, fits me better, maybe not the room ... but that Brighter HT3550 is really making it hard for me to pull the trigger.

Also, I have an obscene amount of gift cards burning a hole in my wallet from best buy so I'm almost certainly going to purchase it there. They charge a 15 percent restocking fee so I can't do the whole "try both" thing

tl;dr version: I'm torn between the HT3550 and TK800. I watch mostly disc based TV/Sports, Video Games (single player), I think the HT3550 is a bit borked and I want it all and I want it now ... .change my mind?
ClassicQ8 likes this.

Beer Massif/ve Beers :: U.S. based windbag who won't shut up about beer :: Lord Commander of the Beer Massif Podcast ::youtube.com/massivebeers
BenQ W1070 | 100" Dalite Fixed Screen
Onkyo NR-676 | BIC America: DV64 Towers : DV62CLR-S Center : DV62si Surrounds : V1020 Sub
Intel 2600k at 4.6GHZ w/ Asus GTX1070 | Playstation 4 | Playstation 3

Last edited by futurecode; 05-03-2019 at 09:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2912 of 4225 Old 05-03-2019, 08:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 17
[QUOTE=futurecode;57993150

Fifth is Stability issues. I understand the HT3550 is a new product line with a new design and OS and with that comes growing pains but as someone who lives and works i nthe tech world is just seems like the issues with the HT3550 are beyond just growing pains. The bizarre screen flashing, split screen dimming, iris pumping, not remembering settings, fickle HDR lock, etc ... some of these seem outside of the norm, even if Benq states otherwise. That and the thought that all of these issue being fixable via a firmware update have me hesitant. Not everything in the HT3550 can be modified or updated via the FW so how much is fixable, how much isn't, and how mush is just faulty to due a rush to market. I love "new" as much as the next guy but with teh TK800 having more seasoned bones it's a bit safer of a bet.[/QUOTE]

Yeah.. I too am hesitant to believe that all issues it currently has can be resolved by firmware so I am likely returning mine before the 30 days and getting the TK800M... if I like it for my use then I will keep it... if not I will return and then wait until the 3550 issues are resolved and re-purchase.
post #2913 of 4225 Old 05-03-2019, 09:41 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by DunMunro View Post
There's no law that says you can't use a low latency 1080p PJ for gaming and a 4K PJ for cinema.
I know, its just that 95% of my time on the projector is spent gaming, so its my priority to maximize for FPS online gaming. My thinking is the DLP 4K offerings are accelerating, with LED, laser etc. Ill live with my 1080 for now and keep the 1500 I paid for the ht3550 for a year or so till I can just have one 4K gaming projector with short throw, or ultra short throw laser with low input lag.

Im a dreamer!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2914 of 4225 Old 05-03-2019, 10:00 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Futurecode: by everything you said sounds like the tk800 is the better choice for you

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
post #2915 of 4225 Old 05-03-2019, 10:05 AM

Liked: 12
Here is my opinion of 3550 which is replacing a w1070 I received the unit back on 4/16 I have noticed the split screen only when changing the WCG mode, so to me not a big deal. Fan noise is louder but during movies not noticeable. Wide color gammet on does produce a green tint on some content but I did prefer it on when watching pacific rim. I do not notice any difference with the dynamic iris on or off and hear no noise when changing, which makes me wonder if it is working. I've been having an issue with signal dropping out and going into source searching and not being able to find,the source . If I toggle between hdmi 1and 2 it usually comes back. I believe this is an issue with the denon receiver. I have a new ruipro cable. As far as the picture and the color it is unbelievable. I have an old,cheap 120" white screen and it's amazing what picture it's putting out. I rewatched some bluray and it up scales them very nicely. The 4k HDR Blurays are unreal. It does suprisingly well with some light in the room. I have not had any major issues and could not be more pleased.
MrGrimble likes this.
post #2916 of 4225 Old 05-03-2019, 10:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 2644 Post(s)
Liked: 2586
Quote:
Originally Posted by futurecode View Post
Really torn right now between the HT3550 and the TK800M

My first concern is lumen output. I do not need a light cannon but I do like a lively image. Coming from a W1070 which provided a bright enough image for me (non maxed, user calibrated cinema mode with BC on) I was happy to hear the HT3550 had the same stated lumen output. But more i read and hear there seems to be a decent gap between stated lumens and actual measured lumen output between the two. I don't have a blacked out viewing area more of a living room set up in he basement with taupe walls and a 8 foot high white ceiling but I do 99 percent of my viewing when the sun is down so ambient light is not an issue. My viewing Habits are (in order of most viewed): TV Series (non-live, non streamed downloaded/disc based content), Sports, Gaming, Movies, Regular Dish TV

My second concern is placement, but this is more of a TK800 thing. My screen is 10 inches below the ceiling so I'm pretty sure I'm good as far as offset but I'm looking at putting it it a 12 foot deep room. With my screen being 100" that means at minimum I need the lens to be 10'11" from the screen and with the TK800 being 11 inches deep I'm looking at a paltry single inch of play behind the projector ... that's pretty tight. I already own 90 degree hdmi and power adapters so I think I'd be good, plus I'd be willing to cut into my wall if need be ... so maybe this is moot.

Third is noise. The W1070 sites about two feet about my main seating potion and i barely notice it. Sure, every now and then when it revs up I take notice but those are few and far between. I know how much fan noise bothers each person is subjective but it sounds like the ht3550 makes quite the racket.

Fourth is gaming. I'm almost exclusively a a single player experience kind of guy .... living in warren county New Jersey with a paltry 4 down and .5 up max interent speed will do this to a man ... so I do not think the lag will be an issue, but the 15-20ms trade off between the HT3550 and TK800 is worth considering. I'm good for about 10-15 hours a week, so it willbe about 30 percent of my viewing experience. Plus, if any of the brighter, saturated color modes of TV's and projectors are worth a damn is gaming so the lumen bump might be worth it here as I'll be gaming mostly in 4K/HDR

Fifth is Stability issues. I understand the HT3550 is a new product line with a new design and OS and with that comes growing pains but as someone who lives and works i nthe tech world is just seems like the issues with the HT3550 are beyond just growing pains. The bizarre screen flashing, split screen dimming, iris pumping, not remembering settings, fickle HDR lock, etc ... some of these seem outside of the norm, even if Benq states otherwise. That and the thought that all of these issue being fixable via a firmware update have me hesitant. Not everything in the HT3550 can be modified or updated via the FW so how much is fixable, how much isn't, and how mush is just faulty to due a rush to market. I love "new" as much as the next guy but with teh TK800 having more seasoned bones it's a bit safer of a bet.

The price point is sixth. This is the one that really pushes me towards the HT3550. Really not much to say here other than additional bells and whistles that the HT3550 has over the TK800 at only a $200 bump is insane and seems more than worth it. If the TK800 was closer to $1100 this wouldn't even be an argument, but man ...

And sixth is FOMO. Sure, the fear of missing out is always "there" when dealing with AV or tech, but as someone who has lovingly ridden his W1070 to the proverbial end I'm "buy-in-and-be-there-for-the-long-haul kind of guy I only switched to that sucker because I moved and my Optoma HD33 wouldn't throw 110" in my new place when I moved, so the next projector I buy I'll probably own for quite a while. My issue is if I bite on the TK800 wit hteh Bright version of the HT3550 come and kick me in the arse in a few months ... I know this one is the typical tug-of-war we all deal with, but I couldn;t help but mention it.

In the end I'm leaning towards the TK800 as I think it just fits better ... well, fits me better, maybe not the room ... but that Brighter HT3550 is really making it hard for me to pull the trigger.

Also, I have an obscene amount of gift cards burning a hole in my wallet from best buy so I'm almost certainly going to purchase it there. They charge a 15 percent restocking fee so I can't do the whole "try both" thing

tl;dr version: I'm torn between the HT3550 and TK800. I watch mostly disc based TV/Sports, Video Games (single player), I think the HT3550 is a bit borked and I want it all and I want it now ... .change my mind?

I've posted on this subject before so there is going to be a lot of repeating myself and I apologize to anyone who is hearing this for the 3rd time.

Again, I'll probably be accused of shilling here but I think calling the HT3550 "borked" is not at all accurate and is a little unfair to the product that was released. There have been some QC issues at launch and that is unfortunate. Especially from a company such as BenQ which, otherwise, has built a reputation for delivering high value, reliable projectors. It's a small consolation to anyone effected but BenQ does ship the HT3550 with a 3 year warranty and from everything I've seen they've made a concerted effort to address defective units. (I've actually been copied on the emails )

I have an engineering sample here (these usually have more bugs than retail releases). I'm also notoriously picky. I let BenQ know about my concerns surrounding the iris action more than a month before the unit released. The issue has been taken up by BenQ and they are addressing it. It's important to note that the majority of users/reviewers have not reported this as an issue-- In my experience it is highly source and viewer dependent. Other than the over active iris I've had little to complain about and, in fact, I had a lot of praise for the HT3550 in my admittedly amateur review. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...or-review.html
There aren't a whole lot of pro reviews out for the HT3550 but the ones that are have been overwhelmingly positive. Both Art of projectorreviews and Greg (kraine) on his blog have given the HT3550 plenty of praise. This projector isn't a misfire.

A lot of complaints we're hearing about the HT3550 come down to expectations. The HT3550 is projector intended for home cinema. While it has enough output to stand up to a little light this is NOT a bright room / home entertainment projector. If you need something to stand up to light or a less than ideal room then BenQ sells the TK800M and will have a bright alternative to the HT3550 with some of the HT3550's features at the same price in the future. As for the flashing/color changes at picture mode or source change-- BenQ mentions this in the manual but I maybe don't think they prepared people enough for how wonky it looks. It does look odd and I can understand anyone who might see this and have concerns their unit is defective. Again, this behavior is normal and something that only occurs for a few short seconds when changing picture modes or sources. There is a LOT going on inside the HT3550 between the lamp and the lens and this behavior is related to two functions that are not available on any competitor: the iris and the filter.
Samfield, neotide and ClassicQ8 like this.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
post #2917 of 4225 Old 05-03-2019, 10:57 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
I've posted on this subject before so there is going to be a lot of repeating myself and I apologize to anyone who is hearing this for the 3rd time.
I've read/watched your, Scotty's and just about every other review and follow your and everyone who has the projector in hands comments so my thoughts and comments are with all of that information in mind.

Quote:
Again, I'll probably be accused of shilling here but I think calling the HT3550 "borked" is not at all accurate and is a little unfair to the product that was released. There have been some QC issues at launch and that is unfortunate. Especially from a company such as BenQ which, otherwise, has built a reputation for delivering high value, reliable projectors. It's a small consolation to anyone effected but BenQ does ship the HT3550 with a 3 year warranty and from everything I've seen they've made a concerted effort to address defective units. (I've actually been copied on the emails )
Borked might be a bit harsh but to call the release just a handful of QC issues is also a bit to timid of a response. Time will hash out the truth and when the dust settles hopefully there will be a clearer picture ... literally and figuratively ... but it's also worth conversation. I'm leaning Benq as my history with projectors, mostly budge/sub2k projectors, Benq has earned my loyalty. I want to buy this projector. And i do appreciate the 3 year warranty, but the cost/downtime attributed to sending in projector for service is a hefty price to pay for most, and stings a bit more when you expect to have to do it over say an unknown issue that randomly rears it's head.

Quote:
I have an engineering sample here (these usually have more bugs than retail releases). I'm also notoriously picky. I let BenQ know about my concerns surrounding the iris action more than a month before the unit released. The issue has been taken up by BenQ and they are addressing it. It's important to note that the majority of users/reviewers have not reported this as an issue-- In my experience it is highly source and viewer dependent. Other than the over active iris I've had little to complain about and, in fact, I had a lot of praise for the HT3550 in my admittedly amateur review. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...or-review.html
There aren't a whole lot of pro reviews out for the HT3550 but the ones that are have been overwhelmingly positive. Both Art of projectorreviews and Greg (kraine) on his blog have given the HT3550 plenty of praise. This projector isn't a misfire.
I usually take the professional reviews, enthusiast reviews and user reviews and try and find the middle ground. As someone who talks and review products as a side job I go out of my way to be as impartial and unbiased as I can, actually pride myself on it, but I also realize that more often than not that those who live the same world are more prone to outside influence and bias at worse, or at least try and spin positive over negative when covering a brand so a mix of all three categories usually gives a more accurate look at a product. I've noticed a fair amount of talk about the dynamic iris being an issue, with several people from all camps leaning towards using smart eco over the dynamic iris for now in hopes of there being a fix in the future. The DI is one of the main reasons I personal am very attracted to the HT3550, so to see people prefer to go without it (people who understand there will be sound and pump, but find it to be too much with this projector) is a bit disheartening. Combine that with, at least to my understanding, that the DI is not firmware tweakable and will need to be sent for service is a big bummer.

Quote:
A lot of complaints we're hearing about the HT3550 come down to expectations. The HT3550 is projector intended for home cinema. While it has enough output to stand up to a little light this is NOT a bright room / home entertainment projector. If you need something to stand up to light or a less than ideal room then BenQ sells the TK800M and will have a bright alternative to the HT3550 with some of the HT3550's features at the same price in the future. As for the flashing/color changes at picture mode or source change-- BenQ mentions this in the manual but I maybe don't think they prepared people enough for how wonky it looks. It does look odd and I can understand anyone who might see this and have concerns their unit is defective. Again, this behavior is normal and something that only occurs for a few short seconds when changing picture modes or sources. There is a LOT going on inside the HT3550 between the lamp and the lens and this behavior is related to two functions that are not available on any competitor: the iris and the filter.
And I do understand the expectations, I believe we all fall into that trap in our lives, but I believe it's a mixture of hopeful expectations AND realistic expectations. Through reading and listening there seem to be a lot more "quirks" than you typical release here, beyond what is typically expected with a new release. And I mentioned earlier as far as lumens, I'm not expecting a light canon, but a relatively similar lumen output (D.Cinema and DHR excluded) as the 2000 rated, RGBRGB W1070 but fro my reading that doesn't seem to be the case.

All in all as someone who believe then have relatively realistic expectations I'm still super enamored with the HT3550 but it seems to be taken down a notch from all that I have read and watched. I don't have the ability to try before I buy or view it side by side so people typing and talking randomly into the internet is all I have to go by, hence my post.

I appreciate the input and look forward to what others have to say.
ClassicQ8 likes this.

Beer Massif/ve Beers :: U.S. based windbag who won't shut up about beer :: Lord Commander of the Beer Massif Podcast ::youtube.com/massivebeers
BenQ W1070 | 100" Dalite Fixed Screen
Onkyo NR-676 | BIC America: DV64 Towers : DV62CLR-S Center : DV62si Surrounds : V1020 Sub
Intel 2600k at 4.6GHZ w/ Asus GTX1070 | Playstation 4 | Playstation 3
post #2918 of 4225 Old 05-03-2019, 11:42 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jblade44 View Post
Yeah.. I too am hesitant to believe that all issues it currently has can be resolved by firmware so I am likely returning mine before the 30 days and getting the TK800M... if I like it for my use then I will keep it... if not I will return and then wait until the 3550 issues are resolved and re-purchase.
I just wanted to add if my unit did not have dust blobs I would likely be able to live with all the other little nuances.. but since my 30 days will be up soon I think it best that I get my money back now. Once the 30 days is up my options are limited and can only send it back and forth for repair as required. So if I ask for a DOA replacement now it will be over the 30 days by the time I get it and will not be able to return to bestbuy. I am not too picky so figure my best option is to try the 800M.
post #2919 of 4225 Old 05-03-2019, 12:43 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian18 View Post
Here is my opinion of 3550 which is replacing a w1070 I received the unit back on 4/16 I have noticed the split screen only when changing the WCG mode, so to me not a big deal. Fan noise is louder but during movies not noticeable. Wide color gammet on does produce a green tint on some content but I did prefer it on when watching pacific rim. I do not notice any difference with the dynamic iris on or off and hear no noise when changing, which makes me wonder if it is working. I've been having an issue with signal dropping out and going into source searching and not being able to find,the source . If I toggle between hdmi 1and 2 it usually comes back. I believe this is an issue with the denon receiver. I have a new ruipro cable. As far as the picture and the color it is unbelievable. I have an old,cheap 120" white screen and it's amazing what picture it's putting out. I rewatched some bluray and it up scales them very nicely. The 4k HDR Blurays are unreal. It does suprisingly well with some light in the room. I have not had any major issues and could not be more pleased.
Thanks for your input Brian.
I'm on the same boat as many people. Trying to decide if it's worth switching my w1070 with 3550.
My w1070 is 6 feet above me. Do you think I will notice a noise difference between the two?

Also, I have a bright lamp close to my projector (Please see attached photo), but I'm absolutely fine with the current brightness. Do you think it will be the same on the 3550?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	59625942_1311012812397176_4491365653546008576_n.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	2561980  
post #2920 of 4225 Old 05-03-2019, 12:45 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jblade44 View Post
I just wanted to add if my unit did not have dust blobs I would likely be able to live with all the other little nuances.. but since my 30 days will be up soon I think it best that I get my money back now. Once the 30 days is up my options are limited and can only send it back and forth for repair as required. So if I ask for a DOA replacement now it will be over the 30 days by the time I get it and will not be able to return to bestbuy. I am not too picky so figure my best option is to try the 800M.

Me too, today Amazon sent me two messages about BenQ HT3550 that is available now and i don't know why but i was so afraid to buy it after reading all the issues people have been throw with it
so, the best thing to me is to wait until Benq release the update and see what issue will be fixed and what not, and then i will decide if i would buy it or not
post #2921 of 4225 Old 05-03-2019, 01:03 PM

I'm on the same boat as many people. Trying to decide if it's worth switching my w1070 with 3550.
My w1070 is 6 feet above me. Do
you think I will notice a noise difference between the two?

Also, I have a bright lamp close to my projector (Please see attached photo), but I'm absolutely fine with the current brightness. Do you think it will be the same on the 3550?[/QUOTE]

I believe you will notice the difference in fan noise I did, during movies it doesn't bother me I usually have the volume up on my avr, I did not notice any lower level of brightness from the w1070 I was quite happy with 3550 brightness, picture quality is a major upgrade
MrGrimble likes this.
post #2922 of 4225 Old 05-03-2019, 01:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keltron View Post
What's your room situation? Dedicated home theater or living room? If it's in a living room then TK800M all the way. In my opinion, the HT3550 needs to have perfect ambient light control and painted rooms. The projector simply isn't bright enough to use anywhere else.
I have a bright living room but will be buying blackout blinds shortly.
Ordered the Tk800m. Will see how it works out vs w1070. If I am not completely satisfied will try the ht3550.
post #2923 of 4225 Old 05-03-2019, 01:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by futurecode View Post
I've read/watched your, Scotty's and just about every other review and follow your and everyone who has the projector in hands comments so my thoughts and comments are with all of that information in mind.

Borked might be a bit harsh but to call the release just a handful of QC issues is also a bit to timid of a response. Time will hash out the truth and when the dust settles hopefully there will be a clearer picture ... literally and figuratively ... but it's also worth conversation. I'm leaning Benq as my history with projectors, mostly budge/sub2k projectors, Benq has earned my loyalty. I want to buy this projector. And i do appreciate the 3 year warranty, but the cost/downtime attributed to sending in projector for service is a hefty price to pay for most, and stings a bit more when you expect to have to do it over say an unknown issue that randomly rears it's head.

I usually take the professional reviews, enthusiast reviews and user reviews and try and find the middle ground. As someone who talks and review products as a side job I go out of my way to be as impartial and unbiased as I can, actually pride myself on it, but I also realize that more often than not that those who live the same world are more prone to outside influence and bias at worse, or at least try and spin positive over negative when covering a brand so a mix of all three categories usually gives a more accurate look at a product. I've noticed a fair amount of talk about the dynamic iris being an issue, with several people from all camps leaning towards using smart eco over the dynamic iris for now in hopes of there being a fix in the future. The DI is one of the main reasons I personal am very attracted to the HT3550, so to see people prefer to go without it (people who understand there will be sound and pump, but find it to be too much with this projector) is a bit disheartening. Combine that with, at least to my understanding, that the DI is not firmware tweakable and will need to be sent for service is a big bummer.

And I do understand the expectations, I believe we all fall into that trap in our lives, but I believe it's a mixture of hopeful expectations AND realistic expectations. Through reading and listening there seem to be a lot more "quirks" than you typical release here, beyond what is typically expected with a new release. And I mentioned earlier as far as lumens, I'm not expecting a light canon, but a relatively similar lumen output (D.Cinema and DHR excluded) as the 2000 rated, RGBRGB W1070 but fro my reading that doesn't seem to be the case.

All in all as someone who believe then have relatively realistic expectations I'm still super enamored with the HT3550 but it seems to be taken down a notch from all that I have read and watched. I don't have the ability to try before I buy or view it side by side so people typing and talking randomly into the internet is all I have to go by, hence my post.

I appreciate the input and look forward to what others have to say.

Fair enough. And I’m not trying to give a timid response, just trying to add some counter weight to the discussion. The conversation around this projector is very negative right now despite several members here singing it’s praises. I think’ it’s fair to be concerned about the QC considering the issues some have had.

I guess my advice would be to wait. As for this vs the TK800M— if you need a bright room projector or a TV replacement the TK800 is great. But for movies there is no question the Ht3550 throws the better image.

Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

post #2924 of 4225 Old 05-03-2019, 02:06 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGrimble View Post

My w1070 is 6 feet above me. Do you think I will notice a noise difference between the two?

Also, I have a bright lamp close to my projector (Please see attached photo), but I'm absolutely fine with the current brightness. Do you think it will be the same on the 3550?

That lamp will totally wash out the 3550. I had a 60W equivalent light about 11 feet behind the projector that I would keep on when playing cartoons for the kids and I found the image lso washed out it was unwatchable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #2925 of 4225 Old 05-03-2019, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dehrig Richard View Post
That lamp will totally wash out the 3550. I had a 60W equivalent light about 11 feet behind the projector that I would keep on when playing cartoons for the kids and I found the image lso washed out it was unwatchable.

That's a bit strange, no? considering both projectors (w1070&3500) have 2000 ANSI Lumens.
post #2926 of 4225 Old 05-03-2019, 02:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dehrig Richard View Post

Which picture mode and settings were you using?

On Vivid with lamp in Normal or SmartEco the HT3550 has plenty enough output to compete with some ambient light. It's not quite as bright as the HT2050A but then the HT2050A was ridiculously bright for an RGBRGB DLP-- in fact, the HT2050A is brighter than many 3000 lumen projectors (in a watchable mode).

post #2927 of 4225 Old 05-03-2019, 04:47 PM

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:

How big is your screen? This plays a critical part as well.

Even though

post #2928 of 4225 Old 05-03-2019, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbnpaul View Post
How big is your screen? This plays a critical part as well.

Even though

92" screen. The projection distance to screen is 9 feet
post #2929 of 4225 Old 05-03-2019, 05:39 PM

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
92" screen. The projection distance to screen is 9 feet

In that case the projector should have sufficient light. But my guess is it would be less bright than your current projector.

MrGrimble likes this.
post #2930 of 4225 Old 05-03-2019, 10:25 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Having only just received my projector I am left with the thought that the first batch sent out the door to try and meet release deadlines seem to suffer with quality control - however Benq do seem to be doing everything they can to rectify the situation for those unfortunate to have a dodgy unit.

Also, the projector was aimed squarely at the Light controlled room market - not a one size fits all.
So far my projector is delivering the goods as per Scotty and Sage's reviews - good black levels (for the price) and great image quality.

As per issues:
Slow start - as mentioned there is a lot going on at switch on … I am OK with that
split screen/odd colours - on my unit this only occurs on Handshake and lasts a couple of seconds
green tint on HDR/WCG - noticeable on my Blu ray player's menus but colour reproduction seems fine when playing the actual film
HDMI cables - 4K is very picky regards cable quality/length
Light output vs WCG - was worried as I run a 120" Grey screen but in a Light controlled room the picture was bright enough

My conclusion,
Perhaps I just got lucky - or My Projector is one of the newer batch after QC has been addressed regards issues although I realize that I have only just started watching and will revise my comments should any issues/faults come to life with continued use.
However, so far the performance vs price and having the required light controlled environment means that this one will be hanging on my ceiling for a fair few years - your mileage may vary
post #2931 of 4225 Old 05-04-2019, 08:19 AM

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Hdr10 ?

When playing movies from my ATV or Oppo Blue ray the Dynamic Iris option is greyed out in HDR10 picture mode, just want to confirm that is working as designed?

Living Room: Samsung 65" KS8000; Oppo 203; NAD 758V3; Philharmonic BMR L/C/R; Elac B5's Rear Left/Right; SVS PB2000
Basement : BenqHT3550; Denon x4300; SVS Ultra L/C/R; Prime Surrounds; Prime Elevation; Infinity in-Ceiling (7.1.4) Dual PSA V1500
post #2932 of 4225 Old 05-04-2019, 08:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striper Mark View Post
When playing movies from my ATV or Oppo Blue ray the Dynamic Iris option is greyed out in HDR10 picture mode, just want to confirm that is working as designed?
The only time the iris should be greyed out is when you have the lamp in smarteco or you are using the silent mode (1080p only).
Striper Mark likes this.

post #2933 of 4225 Old 05-04-2019, 09:14 AM

Regarding the Brighter version of the HT3550 - Any idea if this is something that is expected to be releases in the next 6 months, or will it be just the upgrade model for next year? Cause I have to say, I really like my w1070 and I can't afford to replace a projector every year, so my choice needs to spot on and the talk lack of brightness is holding me from jumping on the HT3550 train.
post #2934 of 4225 Old 05-04-2019, 09:27 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 0
can i know if ht3550 is suitable for long throw? about 5meter/ 16.5ft away for a 100" screen?
post #2935 of 4225 Old 05-04-2019, 10:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Regarding the Brighter version of the HT3550 - Any idea if this is something that is expected to be releases in the next 6 months, or will it be just the upgrade model for next year? Cause I have to say, I really like my w1070 and I can't afford to replace a projector every year, so my choice needs to spot on and the talk lack of brightness is holding me from jumping on the HT3550 train.

The W1070 in cinema produced around 1200-1300 lumens in normal lamp. The only measurement we have of the HT3550 is Greg’s and he measured around 1000 in normal lamp. I’m waiting to see if projector central confirms those numbers.

In the meantime, I use my engineering sample— which is dimmer than the retail release unit— in THIS room without issue. The Ht3550 is definitely intended for dark room use but it’s not like you need a bat cave to use this thing. We had some of the kids over the other day and they watched cartoons in that room with three different lights on. In vivid it has enough output. But, again, this is the exception use for this projector. It shines best in a dark room.
CallingMrBenzo and MrGrimble like this.

post #2936 of 4225 Old 05-04-2019, 12:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked: 280
Quote:
The W1070 in cinema produced around 1200-1300 lumens in normal lamp. The only measurement we have of the HT3550 is Greg’s and he measured around 1000 in normal lamp. I’m waiting to see if projector central confirms those numbers.

In the meantime, I use my engineering sample— which is dimmer than the retail release unit— in THIS room without issue. The Ht3550 is definitely intended for dark room use but it’s not like you need a bat cave to use this thing. We had some of the kids over the other day and they watched cartoons in that room with three different lights on. In vivid it has enough output. But, again, this is the exception use for this projector. It shines best in a dark room.
ProjectorReviews HT3550:
https://www.projectorreviews.com/ben...r-full-review/

MEASURED BRIGHTNESS
Picture Mode: full wide angle / mid zoom Lumens

Bright: 1811 / 1498 (ratio = 1.21)
Vivid: 1321 / 1093
Cinema: 1443 / 1194
D Cinema: 1080 / 893
User: 1125 / 931

ProjectorReviews W1070:
https://www.projectorreviews.com/ben...r-performance/
Dynamic 1843 /1786 ( ratio = 1.03)
standard 1782/ 1730
Cinema 1762 /1711
sage11x likes this.

Last edited by DunMunro; 05-04-2019 at 12:20 PM.
post #2937 of 4225 Old 05-04-2019, 12:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all been following this thread enthusastically for a while, as the Benq ticked all my boxes in my budget. Being a U.K consumer we only got stock this week and even then about 10 units, i took delivery of mine on Friday positioned it on the sofa next to me and proceeded to test all well and good and even though i ony meant to do a quick test i ended up watching a whole movie.
Now i was happy with everything only niggle was the half screen thing happening no biggie and expected after reading about it and the simple solution here.
Now today i proceeded to mount the benq to a vogels wall mount which previously had my epson tw6000 attatched its about 4ft high on the wall so far so good.
Unfortunately when i turned the projector on it had started to make a hell of a lot of fan noise so i checked that high altitude mode as off which it was, i then cycled light modes between normal, eco and smarteco no difference in fan noise i then put a movie on loud but the noise from the projector was killing my enoyment, in fact it was driving me potty. the best way i can describe it is like havng 5 high end gpu's playing a demanding game in tandem.
Now yesterday i had it 5 inches away from me and never found the sound intrusive once. today mounted and 3-4 feet above my head its deafening, measured with decibel x smartphone app im getting a reading of 48db.
I have turned it off right now thought id let it settle down and then try again.
If anyone has any ideas to remedy this please help. only difference from yesterday is the PJ is mounted upside down, i'm stumped.
post #2938 of 4225 Old 05-04-2019, 02:58 PM

Liked: 11
Anyone come from the HT1085ST? That was my last projector and finally have a new place that can accept a projector.

I am deciding between this projector, used Epson 5040, or a nice used JVC.

Mostly will be watching movies/shows, some TV and live sporting events, occasional gaming.

I want at least 120" screen from about 12' away, and I'll go bigger if I can. I would try 140-150 if the ratio allow it.

The room has sealing wooden curtains that make the room pitch dark!
post #2939 of 4225 Old 05-04-2019, 03:10 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
So you can only do 4K 60hz from one of the 2 HDMI ports on the TK800M? The other is an HDMI 1.4a port...how would this work if I wanted my PC and either a ROKU, PS4Pro or Xbox One X connected? If i connect my PC to the 1.4a HDMI port I can only to 4k 30hz and there's weird noise bands on the screen..its fine in the other 2.0 HDMI port
post #2940 of 4225 Old 05-04-2019, 03:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

BenQ W2700 / HT3550 Announcement and Owner’s Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunMunro View Post
ProjectorReviews HT3550:

https://www.projectorreviews.com/ben...r-full-review/

MEASURED BRIGHTNESS

Picture Mode: full wide angle / mid zoomLumens

Bright: 1811 / 1498 (ratio = 1.21)

Vivid: 1321 / 1093

Cinema:1443 / 1194

D Cinema:1080 / 893

User: 1125 / 931

ProjectorReviews W1070:

https://www.projectorreviews.com/ben...r-performance/

Dynamic 1843 /1786 ( ratio = 1.03)

standard 1782/ 1730

Cinema 1762 /1711

Thanks Dun. It’s crazy how much variance you find in lumen measurements.

Edit: I also want to say that the ratio of brightness between the two in those measurements seems much closer to what I experienced placing the HT3550 next to the HT2050A (which is very similar in output to the W1070). The HT2050A is definitely brighter but it’s not like the Ht3550 is dim.

In my comparison of the two (post 2 of my review thread) I actually found the HT3550 has a significant advantage in a theater like room when it comes to contrast/blacks as the HT2050A has no effective way to reduce lumens without also dropping contrast (moving from smarteco to eco). The irony here is everyone is roasting the HT3550 for not being bright enough— I’m excited someone is actually making a sub $2000 projector that is appropriate for dark cinema use. I think some of this criticism will calm down when the bright version of this projector is announced.

HT2050A on the left and HT3550 is one the right.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...topics/3053064

ng4ever and DunMunro like this.

Last edited by sage11x; 05-04-2019 at 05:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page