Dilemma - JVC X590R or Future Epson 5050UB - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 11-15-2018, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Dilemma - JVC X590R or Future Epson 5050UB

I'm in the process of finishing my basement and should be ready to install a new projector in 6-8 weeks.
I previously had an Epson 3020 as my first projector on a 106 inch screen and thought it was great, other than the black levels with movies but the pop on “living room” setting for TV / Sports was great.
I am looking to take the next step up however with my budget of around $4k Canadian I was wondering if I should pick up a JVC before they are all gone, or wait for the new Epson UB which I figured would be out early in the new year.
I keep hearing how great the contrast is on the JVC however am a bit concerned with the lower lumen rating especially with HDR content and that I will watch sports with some lighting on in my basement theater, I thought the added lumens might be needed. Perhaps I just have some loyalty to Epson given my familiarity with them. Given the new Epson will hopefully have way better contrast than my old 3020, and better 18gbps support, is it worth the wait or should I make the jump to JVC??? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-15-2018, 02:49 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked: 131
What size and ratio screen going use and wjat will throw distance be
post #3 of 11 Old 11-15-2018, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter

I can likely do a max screen size of 130 or 135 inches diagonal 16:9, throw is about 13 feet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 11-15-2018, 07:50 PM
Advanced Member

If room not totally blacked out in all dark with no ambient light the epson probably will be better for you and for that size of a screen . But it still hasn't been announced yet in us but hopefully will be announced by end December
post #5 of 11 Old 11-16-2018, 06:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden78 View Post
If room not totally blacked out in all dark with no ambient light the epson probably will be better for you and for that size of a screen . But it still hasn't been announced yet in us but hopefully will be announced by end December
Thanks for the note. The room will be light controlled in my blacked out theater basement, velvet around screen, black ceiling etc. I will be watching movies a lot of the time but also some events / games / fights with some of the lights on in the back of the room. Do you think the JVC would be a nogo for these reasons. Someone told me at a store that the JVC literally has 5x more native contrast that the Epson 5040 UB.........thats what is making my decision hard. Does anyone have any first hand experience with comparing these two projectors. Thanks
post #6 of 11 Old 11-16-2018, 07:07 AM
Advanced Member

Depends on screen size how bright lights are how and close are to screen lights are, But they will negate the advantage of black levels of the x590 if any lights on in room. Someone who probably had both projectors setup at same time or at least seen both you could ask is @Mike Garrett from av science. I'm sure he could give you his honest opinion On the 2 and your room situation. He's a great guy
post #7 of 11 Old 11-17-2018, 05:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 947 Post(s)
Liked: 488
With the room you describe the JVC is by far your best option. JVC's are built like tanks compared to the Epson's. The sole reason I would swing toward the Epson is if your usage is high as the cost of replacement lamps on the JVC's is excessive and I still read people replacing them after 1000 hrs or so because they dim rather quickly. As far as ambient light as long as you have directional spots in the viewing area without any white surfaces you should be OK.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
post #8 of 11 Old 11-19-2018, 04:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekbones View Post
With the room you describe the JVC is by far your best option. JVC's are built like tanks compared to the Epson's. The sole reason I would swing toward the Epson is if your usage is high as the cost of replacement lamps on the JVC's is excessive and I still read people replacing them after 1000 hrs or so because they dim rather quickly. As far as ambient light as long as you have directional spots in the viewing area without any white surfaces you should be OK.
Thanks - I ultimately wont be using the projector that much - maybe 5-10 hours a week so perhaps the JVC lamps wont be an issue.
My main concern with the JVC is the low lumens and the fact that its not as bright with 4k content (so I've heard). If i'm watching 4k content with some ambient lights (the pot lights on in the back of the room), do you think I would experience a washed out image or would it still pop?
post #9 of 11 Old 11-19-2018, 06:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Brightness and screen resolution play major role if you don't want washed out pictures!

You may check these 4K projectors:

Optoma UHD60
ViewSonic PX747-4K 4K Projector

as well.
post #10 of 11 Old 12-04-2018, 03:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 2530 Post(s)
Liked: 2808
Quote:
Originally Posted by noweb View Post
Brightness and screen resolution play major role if you don't want washed out pictures!

You may check these 4K projectors:

Optoma UHD60
ViewSonic PX747-4K 4K Projector

as well.
Not sure these are in the same league as the JVC and Epson on any level.

Listening with Focal Elex headphones, Topping DSD Dac, SENCUN-audio tube preamp with tone control and Little Dot hybrid tube amp with GE tubes.

Watching in a room ensconced in velvet.
post #11 of 11 Old 12-04-2018, 03:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 2530 Post(s)
Liked: 2808
Also looking at the 590 and 5050 to replace my JVCX500. Wish the wait wasn't so long....

Listening with Focal Elex headphones, Topping DSD Dac, SENCUN-audio tube preamp with tone control and Little Dot hybrid tube amp with GE tubes.

Watching in a room ensconced in velvet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page