Epson 3700 or 4010 or BenQ 3050? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By rekbones

post #1 of 20 Old 11-16-2018, 11:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Epson 3700 or 4010 or BenQ 3050?

I'm not a projector pro.

I started with a PT-AX200U a long time ago.
Moved to a BenQ w1100 which I have now. This BenQ is on it's 3 bulb and it still works decently well aside from a blue tinge on certain black shades. But its still not quite as bright as I'd like during the day and it doesn't do side by side 3d which I'd like. It still works and ill use it for other things but as the primary home theater one I'd like to replace it now. Plus the bulbs are expensive and getting harder to come by.

We watch the usuals... netflix, prime etc. I output a PC to it a lot and also karaoke etc. PS4.. which is another reason I want to upgrade. The colors on this current projector don't quite pop on the PS4 as much as I think they should.

I was going with what I know initially so I looked into a newer BenQ. The 3050 is running at about $1000(CAD) right now shipped. But specs-wise i can't tell if its any better than the W1100 other than having 3d playback capability.

I saw the 3700 mentioned in some other threads as being super bright which would be awesome but no 4k support? I'd like to future proof myself here as much as possible for a reasonable $$.
I'm honestly not really sure what "hdr" means. I saw a thread here on the 4010 and it not supporting hdr or 18gbs for hdmi and gamers wouldn't like it. I'm not really sure this would apply to me but I don't really know since I've never had a 4k or hdr projector.

I like sharp clear quality and I hate the glazed look I have now trying to force brightness on my current one.

Auto keystone would be a good feature as well.

Thanks for any advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 11-17-2018, 05:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 953 Post(s)
Liked: 494
First of all you don't want to use digital keystone if you can avoid it because it will degrade PQ. If keystone is an issue a projector with significant lens shift like the two Epson's you mention you should be able to avoid it. The 4000/4010 does support HDR @ 24hz just not @ 60hz. The 3700 is the brightest HT class projector in this price range with a bonus of $100 genuine replacement lamps. If your use to DLP you may not like LCD as it has poorer pixel fill that the eshift of the 4010 will eliminate. No projector can really do HDR very well so you need a source the has good HDR mapping like a PC with MadVR or a UHD blu ray player like the Panasonic x800.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
post #3 of 20 Old 11-18-2018, 01:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I went with the 3700. At medium brightness, it is bright enough to use with the lights on. If you a bat cave /dedicated theater room, I’d opt for something less bright with better blacks and 4k pixel shift.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 07-10-2019, 09:13 PM - Thread Starter

sorry to revive an old thread but I never ended up replacing my projector when i started this. I read a lot more and at the time it was on the cusp of new releases so price drops were expected apparently.

Now my W1100 lamp is finally needing to be replaced and I'll still get a new lamp for it but i have some spare $$ now and would like to pick up a new projector for the main room. I saw theres new BenQ out. But their repairs and warranty dept is pretty garbage. I've had to deal with them twice in the last 8ish years for my BenQ and both times were a real fight and hassle.

In Canada here I can get the Epson 5050 for $4600(CAD) or the 4010 for $2400(CAD). Both new.

I want something that does side by side 3D. I think they both do that. Specs-wise they look pretty similar.... I'm wondering why one is almost twice the price? I can grab the 5050 if its worth it. I have the $$ at the moment since I didn't pick up anything last Novemeber. But I don't know if its worth it or not.
My location is a long room.
Screen size 100inches. Projector is about 15 ft from the screen.
Bit sunny in the day time... would like something that performs better than the W1100 in the daylight. The W1100 works during the day, but it looks faded. At night its still pretty crisp.
Something that works nice with a PS4.
post #5 of 20 Old 07-10-2019, 11:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The 5050 has the Ultra Black LCD panels so much better contrast and also the full bandwidth 18Gb HDMI support. The 4010 is a good choice in less then ideal rooms because contrast is already compromised and unless your gaming @60hz/HDR the higher bandwidth may not be needed. No projector will look good with ambient light so don't expect much in that department.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
post #6 of 20 Old 07-11-2019, 03:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekbones View Post
The 5050 has the Ultra Black LCD panels so much better contrast and also the full bandwidth 18Gb HDMI support. The 4010 is a good choice in less then ideal rooms because contrast is already compromised and unless your gaming @60hz/HDR the higher bandwidth may not be needed. No projector will look good with ambient light so don't expect much in that department.
Hey thanks for the reply...again!
I'm still a bit unclear as to why the drastic price difference. Is it literally the 18gb hdmi support? What does this actually do? Is it JUST for gaming? I mean 4k has been around awhile right? and no 18gb hdmi was needed for that, so its something other than 4k? I also have the PS4, the Nvidia shield and laptop and stuff going through a Yamaha RX-V575 which then outputs to the Projector. Would the new hdmi be downgraded when going through a Receiver anyway? Sorry if those are basic questions.

I'll admit, I play PS4 less these days, simply because on this projector.. the image isn't the brightest for larger open world kinda games online. Maybe this would help but maybe not enough to make me really care. I can technically make the room quite dark, even in the bightest days. The curtains can black out the one side of the room and ambient light is quite low during the day with that. But I use the projector as my daily TV. My office is next to it and I have the tv on all day most days while im working. I need the background noise and visuals. But anyway... I go through a lamp a year on average. I just prefer to have the curtains open slightly to let light in from that side. (which is half underground). The opposite side is a walkout to the back, so it's brighter. Can see in the pic below. The pic is the BenQ W1100.

I want another "8 year" projector essentially. I'm going to pull the trigger on one in the next day or so and I dont want to spend more than $5000 (tax and all inc). But I also dont want to pay for things I wont ever use either. The Epsons seem like my best bet for a daily use projector with 3d capability... I just cant figure out the difference between'em.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1755.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	703.1 KB
ID:	2589666  
post #7 of 20 Old 07-11-2019, 05:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarverStone1 View Post
Hey thanks for the reply...again!
I'm still a bit unclear as to why the drastic price difference. Is it literally the 18gb hdmi support? What does this actually do? Is it JUST for gaming? I mean 4k has been around awhile right? and no 18gb hdmi was needed for that, so its something other than 4k? I also have the PS4, the Nvidia shield and laptop and stuff going through a Yamaha RX-V575 which then outputs to the Projector. Would the new hdmi be downgraded when going through a Receiver anyway? Sorry if those are basic questions.

I'll admit, I play PS4 less these days, simply because on this projector.. the image isn't the brightest for larger open world kinda games online. Maybe this would help but maybe not enough to make me really care. I can technically make the room quite dark, even in the bightest days. The curtains can black out the one side of the room and ambient light is quite low during the day with that. But I use the projector as my daily TV. My office is next to it and I have the tv on all day most days while im working. I need the background noise and visuals. But anyway... I go through a lamp a year on average. I just prefer to have the curtains open slightly to let light in from that side. (which is half underground). The opposite side is a walkout to the back, so it's brighter. Can see in the pic below. The pic is the BenQ W1100.

I want another "8 year" projector essentially. I'm going to pull the trigger on one in the next day or so and I dont want to spend more than $5000 (tax and all inc). But I also dont want to pay for things I wont ever use either. The Epsons seem like my best bet for a daily use projector with 3d capability... I just cant figure out the difference between'em.
The extra $$ for the 5050 are for the Ultra Black panels the 4010 lacks. Contrast is king in a good room with no white reflective surfaces. The 4010's contrast is on par with your BenQ where the 5050 far exceeds it. Looks like you have a white room with a low reflective ceiling so contrast is all ready compromised is why I recommend the 4010. You still should consider the 3700 as its the brightest in this class,a fair amount cheaper and under $100 us replacement lamps unless 4K is very important to you.

post #8 of 20 Old 07-11-2019, 06:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
The extra $$ for the 5050 are for the Ultra Black panels the 4010 lacks. Contrast is king in a good room with no white reflective surfaces. The 4010's contrast is on par with your BenQ where the 5050 far exceeds it. Looks like you have a white room with a low reflective ceiling so contrast is all ready compromised is why I recommend the 4010. You still should consider the 3700 as its the brightest in this class,a fair amount cheaper and under $100 us replacement lamps unless 4K is very important to you.
4k isnt important to me NOW. my tv and film collection is all 1080. but to be honest.. I've never really seen much 4k and if most content will start coming out in 4k.. it might be important then.
The 3700 I can find for 1700CAD right now. It has less lumens than the 4010. but in general would the quality and brightness for 1080 content and 3d be the same between the two?
post #9 of 20 Old 07-11-2019, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
4k isnt important to me NOW. my tv and film collection is all 1080. but to be honest.. I've never really seen much 4k and if most content will start coming out in 4k.. it might be important then.
The 3700 I can find for 1700CAD right now. It has less lumens than the 4010. but in general would the quality and brightness for 1080 content and 3d be the same between the two?
And I guess.. would standard HD content look any better/brighter on the 5050 in my setup. The area is all white, yes. But that can easily be changed as well if it makes a difference.
post #10 of 20 Old 07-11-2019, 07:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
And I guess.. would standard HD content look any better/brighter on the 5050 in my setup. The area is all white, yes. But that can easily be changed as well if it makes a difference.
Painting the room a dark flat color is the biggest improvement in PQ you can make over anything else. You did state you like to watch with some lights on. I don't know where you are getting you specs but the 3700 is much brighter then the 4010 in actual measurements. Remember manufacture specs are mostly marketing double speak if anything Epson under rates the 3700.
sage11x likes this.

post #11 of 20 Old 07-12-2019, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Painting the room a dark flat color is the biggest improvement in PQ you can make over anything else. You did state you like to watch with some lights on. I don't know where you are getting you specs but the 3700 is much brighter then the 4010 in actual measurements. Remember manufacture specs are mostly marketing double speak if anything Epson under rates the 3700.
Hows the 3d on the 3700? I want something with solid 3d playback as well. I was reading about the BenQ HT5550, apparently its 3d is quite good. Though it doesn't look like its available in Canada. Also I'm going to darken the environment around the projector as well, though I can't do much about the sunlight during the day. Right now I am leaning toward the 3700 as you suggested... but the 3d playback is my only real concern at the moment. And to a much lesser degeree...the the 4k capability for future-proofing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1757.JPG
Views:	15
Size:	180.6 KB
ID:	2590110  
post #12 of 20 Old 07-12-2019, 04:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

3D in a DLP is top notch because how fast DLP tech is. The big advantage the 3700 is how bright it is where most DLP's loss of brightness struggle with 3D. So does one advantage over come the disadvantage of the different techs only you can decide.

post #13 of 20 Old 07-13-2019, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
3D in a DLP is top notch because how fast DLP tech is. The big advantage the 3700 is how bright it is where most DLP's loss of brightness struggle with 3D. So does one advantage over come the disadvantage of the different techs only you can decide.

went with the 3700...... should be a decent upgrade from my w1100. All my content is in 1080p and 3d so i dont have any 4k. I dont use streaming services MUCH and i figure by the time more content starts coming out in 4k.... and that it actually affects me. I'll probably be able to grab the 5050 or the 5550 for much cheaper. So all in with 3 sets of 3d glasses.. was $2000 CAD . shipping and all.

Thanks for the help!
post #14 of 20 Old 07-13-2019, 06:35 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 63
If daylight use is important an ALR or grey screen would be of help:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/23-sc...ey-screen.html
post #15 of 20 Old 07-13-2019, 11:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Good choice. Definitely get back to us with your review as everyone's opinion counts and will help others with similar issues.

post #16 of 20 Old Yesterday, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Good choice. Definitely get back to us with your review as everyone's opinion counts and will help others with similar issues.
Will post a review after using it for a bit. Still waiting on the 3d glasses to come in. I literally just got it today and swapped the benq out.

First impressions:

Physical:
- heavy, bout 1.5 times heavier than the benq
- about 1.5 times the size of the benq in all dimensions
- pretty and rounded
- had to modify my ceiling mount slightly, since the screw mount holes are about 3 cm further out in all corners. I connected two arms together to make a slightly longer one on one side and it worked fine to get two at back connected and one at the front (which is very ample support)
- wireless lan (i didnt know it had nor do I NEED) but was disappointing to find out it has the capability but doesnt include the module. Does anyone know if any WLAN USB module would work?.
- Manual says "if you have this connected to a LAN cable" .... But I see no LAN port?

Remote:
- huge
- somehow magically connected to my NVIDIA Shield and controls it which is cool
- not sure how its connected to the Shield, but cant see to find any instructions on how to program it to work with my Yamaha receiver (for volume control). Maybe its not universal... ? But the Shield..*shrugs*

Visual:
- Brightness: Absolutely fantastic change from the BenQ. Definitely super bright. Am watching it right now at 2pm with the curtains open and its about as bright as the BenQ at night with the curtains closed,probably brighter even. Literally on par with any current TV at least from what I can tell.
- Sharp: WAY crisper and sharper than the BenQ. The BenQ seems almost "fuzzy" or blurry in comparison. And you can see in the screenshot above of the BenQ, it still looked pretty good.

Still waiting to try out the 3d, but so far I'm super happy with it. It's more than perfect for daily "tv" use as I wanted and I think as I suspected, by the time 4k content is considered the norm and I actually have enough of it, upgrading again will be relatively the same price as this one was.

Last edited by CarverStone1; Yesterday at 02:40 PM.
post #17 of 20 Old Yesterday, 02:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 143 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked: 2772
Quote:
… - Sharp: WAY crisper and sharper than the BenQ. The BenQ seems almost "fuzzy" or blurry in comparison. ...
Generally speaking, given comparable optics and overall projector quality, single chip DLP is inherently sharper than 3LCD because the 3 LCD panels can never be in perfect alignment whereas single chip DLP has no panels to align. You mentioned in your original post that you wanted automatic digital keystone correction which suggests you were using digital keystone correction on your BenQ. As @rekbones earlier mentioned, it's always best to avoid using digital keystone correction because it degrades the image and makes it look less crisp and sharp. This may be one of the reasons why your new 3LCD Epson appears WAY crisper and sharper than the BenQ.
post #18 of 20 Old Yesterday, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
Generally speaking, given comparable optics and overall projector quality, single chip DLP is inherently sharper than 3LCD because the 3 LCD panels can never be in perfect alignment whereas single chip DLP has no panels to align. You mentioned in your original post that you wanted automatic digital keystone correction which suggests you were using digital keystone correction on your BenQ. As @rekbones earlier mentioned, it's always best to avoid using digital keystone correction because it degrades the image and makes it look less crisp and sharp. This may be one of the reasons why your new 3LCD Epson appears WAY crisper and sharper than the BenQ.
Hmm I donno. It's dramatically sharper. I don't think its the auto keystone solely. I was using it on the BenQ. But only to slighlty correct the upper corners. They'd be off the screen onto the wall a bit. The BenQ has a bug though where if Auto keystone is on, when you restart the projector it doesnt actually do anything. You have to go in and turn it off then on again to make it work. So theres a lot of times I just didnt bother to even activate it... so I have watched it both with keystone on and off... and to me it pretty much looked the same really.

Would the contrast ratio difference have a "sharper" effect?

Last edited by CarverStone1; Yesterday at 03:29 PM.
post #19 of 20 Old Yesterday, 03:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 143 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked: 2772
@CarverStone1 , of course there are many variables involved. While it's well known and proven that single chip DLP is inherently sharper than 3LCD and that digital keystone correction degrades the image it's also possible that your new 3LCD Epson has a sharper lens system and other factors that make it appear sharper and crisper than your old DLP BenQ. For example, it's another well known and proven fact that given two similar images most people will find the brighter of the two to be superior, and the 3700 wins that contest hands down. Not trying to be a downer about your enthusiasm for your new projector but just pointing out a few known explanations for the big difference you're describing. The 3700 has a great reputation as a bright room light cannon and TV replacement, which is what you seem to have been looking for.
post #20 of 20 Old Yesterday, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
@CarverStone1 , of course there are many variables involved. While it's well known and proven that single chip DLP is inherently sharper than 3LCD and that digital keystone correction degrades the image it's also possible that your new 3LCD Epson has a sharper lens system and other factors that make it appear sharper and crisper than your old DLP BenQ. For example, it's another well known and proven fact that given two similar images most people will find the brighter of the two to be superior, and the 3700 wins that contest hands down. Not trying to be a downer about your enthusiasm for your new projector but just pointing out a few known explanations for the big difference you're describing. The 3700 has a great reputation as a bright room light cannon and TV replacement, which is what you seem to have been looking for.
thanks.

ya I'm usually pretty aware and critical of things to try and remove any bias. My BenQ was also 8ish years old and there coulda been other factors in IT that have degraded over time as well. But im still watching the 3700 now and its definitely sharper for all content ive played so far. I'm sure the brightness is a factor though. Perhaps the colors just being darker in general made the BenQ look fuzzier around the edges. Either way... looks sharper and def brighter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page