I Won't Pay for Another Bulb - Give Me the Lowdown on UST Laser Projectors - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
  • 1 Post By Dave in Green
  • 1 Post By Dave in Green
  • 1 Post By hk2000
  • 1 Post By bpassman
  • 1 Post By klas

post #1 of 15 Old 11-27-2018, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I Won't Pay for Another Bulb - Give Me the Lowdown on UST Laser Projectors

So, I'm on my 2nd projector in 8 years. The first, an Optoma HD20 was plagued with issues, and ran through several expensive/hard to replace bulbs. My latest, some weird conference model Acer that my work gave me has been surprisingly decent, but I'm so ready for an upgrade. So I started looking for what's new in the projector world, and I kept running into posts in different forums about all of these crazy Chinese projectors that you can sit practically in front of your screen, and because they don't use bulbs they last nearly forever.

So after hours of pouring through posts, I feel I'm only slightly more clued in than when I started. As I understand it, there are only a handful of companies that are currently producing ultra short throw laser projectors, most of whom are Chinese (though a couple popular companies like Dell, and LG have introduced their own models). The common names that keep popping up areXioami, XGIMI, and JMGO (though I'm assuming there are others).

One of the things I was looking forward to upgrading to was 4K, but as I understand it, most of these companies do not provide affordable native 4K, is that correct? Having been out of the AVS game for awhile, does 4K even matter that much anymore when features like HDR are all the rage?

The projector names I keep seeing bandied about include the Xiaomi Mi and WEMAX One, and the XGIMI Lune 4K (and to a lesser extant some of the JMGO models). I'm actually familiar with Xiaomi, since I own one of their robot vacuums (I freakin love it), and the Xiaomi's see relatively easy to come by on websites like ********. So, which of these projectors is the one to get now? Which are the one's to keep an eye out on?

A bit about my needs/wants...I'm strictly a movie guy (trying to make it through the 1001 Moves You Must See Before You Die list), so I don't care if the projector is good for games or anything. My projector room is a dark, heavily curtained living room, but it's not completely blacked out or anything. One of the issues I've suffered with my last two projectors is that I never felt they got bright enough (the Optoma was rated at 1700 ANSI Lumens, but I feel it was rarely ever that bright). My source is a beefy Home Theater PC with an Nvidia GTX 1070. If possible, I'd like to be able to watch films at their native refresh rate. A short throw projector would work perfectly for my current living room setup. And um...I think that's about it.

So, what am I missing? Is this a waste of time? Which laser projectors should I be looking out for?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 11-28-2018, 10:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Quoted: 3522 Post(s)
Liked: 2701
Since image brightness appears to be a major issue with you, dollar for dollar traditional UHP lamp projectors are brighter than solid state (LED or laser) models even when factoring in replacement lamp costs. Projectors from established global brands also have better local support and warranties. If you don't live in China and are buying mail order from China it's important to understand exactly how much support you can expect if something goes wrong, so be sure to read all the small print. If you think you want to take a risk on one of these new brands that doesn't yet have an established global track record you should read all the existing threads on this forum as all of the brands and models you've mentioned have been extensively discussed.
adrift likes this.
post #3 of 15 Old 11-28-2018, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
Since image brightness appears to be a major issue with you, dollar for dollar traditional UHP lamp projectors are brighter than solid state (LED or laser) models even when factoring in replacement lamp costs. Projectors from established global brands also have better local support and warranties. If you don't live in China and are buying mail order from China it's important to understand exactly how much support you can expect if something goes wrong, so be sure to read all the small print. If you think you want to take a risk on one of these new brands that doesn't yet have an established global track record you should read all the existing threads on this forum as all of the brands and models you've mentioned have been extensively discussed.

Thanks so much for the reply Dave. That's an interesting point about the brightness of traditional lamp projectors. I suppose my personal bad experiences with both low light projectors and expensive bulb replacement has turned me off to exploring traditional projectors with higher lumens. If you could recommend a couple bright, quality, traditional lamp projectors, I'd like to take a look at them. Regardless, I'll definitely keep that in mind.

As far as the Chinese laser projectors go, I live in the US, but am aware of the risks/hassles involved in buying overseas. Wouldn't be the first time. I've read the threads on the brands I mentioned here pretty thoroughly. It sounds like the XGIMI Lune 4K might fulfill most of my needs/wants, but finding it at a price that would make it relevant to this subforum doesn't appear to be very easy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 11-28-2018, 12:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Quoted: 3522 Post(s)
Liked: 2701
@adrift , the most often recommended bright projector on this forum is the Epson Home Cinema 3700. While rated at 3,000 lumens it has been independently measured at 3,400+ lumens in brightest mode with a new lamp. Speaking of lamps, Epson has the lowest genuine lamp replacement costs in the industry. MSRP for the 3700's genuine replacement lamp is just $99.

If you want to discuss pricing and sources for any projector, including the Chinese mail order models, you should start a new thread in the Front Projectors Great Found Deals! section of AVS Forum and not discuss in this section of the forum. As the sticky at the top of this forum says: No "Price Talk" or "Where to Buy" outside of the "Deals Forum" .
adrift likes this.
post #5 of 15 Old 11-28-2018, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
@adrift , the most often recommended bright projector on this forum is the Epson Home Cinema 3700. While rated at 3,000 lumens it has been independently measured at 3,400+ lumens in brightest mode with a new lamp. Speaking of lamps, Epson has the lowest genuine lamp replacement costs in the industry. MSRP for the 3700's genuine replacement lamp is just $99.
Thanks Dave, I'll check that out!

Quote:
If you want to discuss pricing and sources for any projector, including the Chinese mail order models, you should start a new thread in the Front Projectors Great Found Deals! section of AVS Forum and not discuss in this section of the forum. As the sticky at the top of this forum says: No "Price Talk" or "Where to Buy" outside of the "Deals Forum" .
Understood. I was trying to avoid directly talking about exact prices because I had seen that warning. I'll check out that other subforum.

Thanks again!
post #6 of 15 Old 05-10-2019, 05:48 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I'm with you. I'm sick of lamps and ever-changing color temp, brightness, .. etc. but why are you struck on UST- especially you're being "movie guy"? Most ST/UST projectors are entry level home theater projectors at best. I'm currently researching regular normal distance laser projectors and I'm finding a lot of excellent options.
adrift likes this.
post #7 of 15 Old 05-10-2019, 05:57 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrift View Post
So, I'm on my 2nd projector in 8 years. The first, an Optoma HD20 was plagued with issues, and ran through several expensive/hard to replace bulbs. My latest, some weird conference model Acer that my work gave me has been surprisingly decent, but I'm so ready for an upgrade. So I started looking for what's new in the projector world, and I kept running into posts in different forums about all of these crazy Chinese projectors that you can sit practically in front of your screen, and because they don't use bulbs they last nearly forever.

So after hours of pouring through posts, I feel I'm only slightly more clued in than when I started. As I understand it, there are only a handful of companies that are currently producing ultra short throw laser projectors, most of whom are Chinese (though a couple popular companies like Dell, and LG have introduced their own models). The common names that keep popping up areXioami, XGIMI, and JMGO (though I'm assuming there are others).

One of the things I was looking forward to upgrading to was 4K, but as I understand it, most of these companies do not provide affordable native 4K, is that correct? Having been out of the AVS game for awhile, does 4K even matter that much anymore when features like HDR are all the rage?

The projector names I keep seeing bandied about include the Xiaomi Mi and WEMAX One, and the XGIMI Lune 4K (and to a lesser extant some of the JMGO models). I'm actually familiar with Xiaomi, since I own one of their robot vacuums (I freakin love it), and the Xiaomi's see relatively easy to come by on websites like ********. So, which of these projectors is the one to get now? Which are the one's to keep an eye out on?

A bit about my needs/wants...I'm strictly a movie guy (trying to make it through the 1001 Moves You Must See Before You Die list), so I don't care if the projector is good for games or anything. My projector room is a dark, heavily curtained living room, but it's not completely blacked out or anything. One of the issues I've suffered with my last two projectors is that I never felt they got bright enough (the Optoma was rated at 1700 ANSI Lumens, but I feel it was rarely ever that bright). My source is a beefy Home Theater PC with an Nvidia GTX 1070. If possible, I'd like to be able to watch films at their native refresh rate. A short throw projector would work perfectly for my current living room setup. And um...I think that's about it.

So, what am I missing? Is this a waste of time? Which laser projectors should I be looking out for?

Thanks!
Love the title and I'm with you, I have 1800 hours on an RS500 and I'm looking to new laser PJs
adrift likes this.

Brad
AVR Anthen AVM 60 Amp Emotiva XPA-7 & XPA-5 Sources Oppo 203, FireTV, FiOS
Speakers Atmos 7.2.4 - TruAudio B23-465s (LCRs), TruAudio B23-265s (SL/R & SB), Dual SVS PC-2000s (Subs), 4 In Ceilings
PJ JVC RS500 Screen 153" DIY 2.35:1 Spandex
My crazy long build Coffered Ceiling
post #8 of 15 Old 05-10-2019, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks! I eventually ended up with the XGIMI Lune (the brighte non-4K, but 4K compatible version), which, after tinkering with for awhile, I really love. It's bright, fast, and does exactly what it's supposed to do. I don't have to worry about mounting it behind me, or walking in front of the beam. It's pretty much everything I wanted. If I were to do it all over again, I'd probably find a safer, easier way to get it to me, and it looks like there are few more options now than when I was looking so that's good (I've seen the Xiaomi Mi selling at Walmart for decent prices already). Hope you find what you're looking for!

Source: Windows 10 Pro, i5-4690K CPU @ 3.50GHz, 16 GB RAM, GTX 1070
Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR676 in a 5.1.2 audio configuration
Video Output: XGIMI Lune (XJ01V), XYScreen Pet Crystal screen
post #9 of 15 Old 05-10-2019, 08:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Congrats! USTs are damn awesome! I have 1080p Xiaomi for now but looking forward to 4k options.
adrift likes this.
post #10 of 15 Old 05-14-2019, 01:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1542 Post(s)
Liked: 1138
I am not against UST projectors, but there are some potential lens issues to carefully research, and there is cost savings to go to a traditional throw lens with a solid state light engine. A solidly bright laser based model is the Optoma UHZ65. It may fall out of this forum in terms of pricing.

I expect in the next year or two that we will see quite a few 4K DLP models with a solid state light engine hit the market under $3,000.

But, if your budget is well under $3,000, than the traditional lamp models really do provide greater performance for the money. As mentioned, the Epson 3700, with several replacement lamps, can last you 20,000 hours and adds just a few hundred bucks to the total ownership cost. With a brand new projector and a new projector warranty to boot.

Or the Epson 4010 which delivers 4K acceptance for the money.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #11 of 15 Old 05-15-2019, 11:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Not UST, but a solid laser projector which can be found refurbished is the Optoma UHZ65 which all the reviews say is incredible.
post #12 of 15 Old 05-16-2019, 06:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrinz View Post
Not UST, but a solid laser projector which can be found refurbished is the Optoma UHZ65 which all the reviews say is incredible.
Incredible picture with incredible amount of fan noise for an incredibly high price.

Xiaomi Mija Mi Laser UST 1080P (International), Sharp 4k 65", LG 4k 43", Nvidia Shield
post #13 of 15 Old 05-16-2019, 07:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by klas View Post
Quote:
Incredible picture with incredible amount of fan noise for an incredibly high price.
That's why I said refurbished. If you're patient you can snag one for a reasonable amount.
post #14 of 15 Old 05-16-2019, 07:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That's why I said refurbished. If you're patient you can snag one for a reasonable amount.
I guess some enjoy that, but I stay away from incredibly noisy projectors. Besides if you wanted non UST with laser, LG HU80KA is much better bang for your buck and it's amazing.

Xiaomi Mija Mi Laser UST 1080P (International), Sharp 4k 65", LG 4k 43", Nvidia Shield
post #15 of 15 Old 05-16-2019, 08:52 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by klas View Post
I guess some enjoy that, but I stay away from incredibly noisy projectors. Besides if you wanted non UST with laser, LG HU80KA is much better bang for your buck and it's amazing.
Aw man, I just got done mounting an Epson 5050UB and am now wondering why I didn't know about the LG HU80KA before. Ugh.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page