AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-digital-projectors-under-3-000-usd-msrp/)
-   -   I Won't Pay for Another Bulb - Give Me the Lowdown on UST Laser Projectors (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-digital-projectors-under-3-000-usd-msrp/3029872-i-wont-pay-another-bulb-give-me-lowdown-ust-laser-projectors.html)

adrift 11-27-2018 09:16 PM

I Won't Pay for Another Bulb - Give Me the Lowdown on UST Laser Projectors
 
So, I'm on my 2nd projector in 8 years. The first, an Optoma HD20 was plagued with issues, and ran through several expensive/hard to replace bulbs. My latest, some weird conference model Acer that my work gave me has been surprisingly decent, but I'm so ready for an upgrade. So I started looking for what's new in the projector world, and I kept running into posts in different forums about all of these crazy Chinese projectors that you can sit practically in front of your screen, and because they don't use bulbs they last nearly forever.


So after hours of pouring through posts, I feel I'm only slightly more clued in than when I started. As I understand it, there are only a handful of companies that are currently producing ultra short throw laser projectors, most of whom are Chinese (though a couple popular companies like Dell, and LG have introduced their own models). The common names that keep popping up areXioami, XGIMI, and JMGO (though I'm assuming there are others).



One of the things I was looking forward to upgrading to was 4K, but as I understand it, most of these companies do not provide affordable native 4K, is that correct? Having been out of the AVS game for awhile, does 4K even matter that much anymore when features like HDR are all the rage?



The projector names I keep seeing bandied about include the Xiaomi Mi and WEMAX One, and the XGIMI Lune 4K (and to a lesser extant some of the JMGO models). I'm actually familiar with Xiaomi, since I own one of their robot vacuums (I freakin love it), and the Xiaomi's see relatively easy to come by on websites like ********. So, which of these projectors is the one to get now? Which are the one's to keep an eye out on?


A bit about my needs/wants...I'm strictly a movie guy (trying to make it through the 1001 Moves You Must See Before You Die list), so I don't care if the projector is good for games or anything. My projector room is a dark, heavily curtained living room, but it's not completely blacked out or anything. One of the issues I've suffered with my last two projectors is that I never felt they got bright enough (the Optoma was rated at 1700 ANSI Lumens, but I feel it was rarely ever that bright). My source is a beefy Home Theater PC with an Nvidia GTX 1070. If possible, I'd like to be able to watch films at their native refresh rate. A short throw projector would work perfectly for my current living room setup. And um...I think that's about it.


So, what am I missing? Is this a waste of time? Which laser projectors should I be looking out for?



Thanks!

Dave in Green 11-28-2018 10:44 AM

Since image brightness appears to be a major issue with you, dollar for dollar traditional UHP lamp projectors are brighter than solid state (LED or laser) models even when factoring in replacement lamp costs. Projectors from established global brands also have better local support and warranties. If you don't live in China and are buying mail order from China it's important to understand exactly how much support you can expect if something goes wrong, so be sure to read all the small print. If you think you want to take a risk on one of these new brands that doesn't yet have an established global track record you should read all the existing threads on this forum as all of the brands and models you've mentioned have been extensively discussed.

adrift 11-28-2018 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave in Green (Post 57180156)
Since image brightness appears to be a major issue with you, dollar for dollar traditional UHP lamp projectors are brighter than solid state (LED or laser) models even when factoring in replacement lamp costs. Projectors from established global brands also have better local support and warranties. If you don't live in China and are buying mail order from China it's important to understand exactly how much support you can expect if something goes wrong, so be sure to read all the small print. If you think you want to take a risk on one of these new brands that doesn't yet have an established global track record you should read all the existing threads on this forum as all of the brands and models you've mentioned have been extensively discussed.


Thanks so much for the reply Dave. That's an interesting point about the brightness of traditional lamp projectors. I suppose my personal bad experiences with both low light projectors and expensive bulb replacement has turned me off to exploring traditional projectors with higher lumens. If you could recommend a couple bright, quality, traditional lamp projectors, I'd like to take a look at them. Regardless, I'll definitely keep that in mind.



As far as the Chinese laser projectors go, I live in the US, but am aware of the risks/hassles involved in buying overseas. Wouldn't be the first time. I've read the threads on the brands I mentioned here pretty thoroughly. It sounds like the XGIMI Lune 4K might fulfill most of my needs/wants, but finding it at a price that would make it relevant to this subforum doesn't appear to be very easy.

Dave in Green 11-28-2018 12:06 PM

@adrift , the most often recommended bright projector on this forum is the Epson Home Cinema 3700. While rated at 3,000 lumens it has been independently measured at 3,400+ lumens in brightest mode with a new lamp. Speaking of lamps, Epson has the lowest genuine lamp replacement costs in the industry. MSRP for the 3700's genuine replacement lamp is just $99.

If you want to discuss pricing and sources for any projector, including the Chinese mail order models, you should start a new thread in the Front Projectors Great Found Deals! section of AVS Forum and not discuss in this section of the forum. As the sticky at the top of this forum says: No "Price Talk" or "Where to Buy" outside of the "Deals Forum" .

adrift 11-28-2018 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave in Green (Post 57180712)
@adrift , the most often recommended bright projector on this forum is the Epson Home Cinema 3700. While rated at 3,000 lumens it has been independently measured at 3,400+ lumens in brightest mode with a new lamp. Speaking of lamps, Epson has the lowest genuine lamp replacement costs in the industry. MSRP for the 3700's genuine replacement lamp is just $99.

Thanks Dave, I'll check that out!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave in Green (Post 57180712)
If you want to discuss pricing and sources for any projector, including the Chinese mail order models, you should start a new thread in the Front Projectors Great Found Deals! section of AVS Forum and not discuss in this section of the forum. As the sticky at the top of this forum says: No "Price Talk" or "Where to Buy" outside of the "Deals Forum" .

Understood. I was trying to avoid directly talking about exact prices because I had seen that warning. I'll check out that other subforum.

Thanks again!

hk2000 05-10-2019 05:48 PM

I'm with you. I'm sick of lamps and ever-changing color temp, brightness, .. etc. but why are you struck on UST- especially you're being "movie guy"? Most ST/UST projectors are entry level home theater projectors at best. I'm currently researching regular normal distance laser projectors and I'm finding a lot of excellent options.

bpassman 05-10-2019 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adrift (Post 57177124)
So, I'm on my 2nd projector in 8 years. The first, an Optoma HD20 was plagued with issues, and ran through several expensive/hard to replace bulbs. My latest, some weird conference model Acer that my work gave me has been surprisingly decent, but I'm so ready for an upgrade. So I started looking for what's new in the projector world, and I kept running into posts in different forums about all of these crazy Chinese projectors that you can sit practically in front of your screen, and because they don't use bulbs they last nearly forever.


So after hours of pouring through posts, I feel I'm only slightly more clued in than when I started. As I understand it, there are only a handful of companies that are currently producing ultra short throw laser projectors, most of whom are Chinese (though a couple popular companies like Dell, and LG have introduced their own models). The common names that keep popping up areXioami, XGIMI, and JMGO (though I'm assuming there are others).



One of the things I was looking forward to upgrading to was 4K, but as I understand it, most of these companies do not provide affordable native 4K, is that correct? Having been out of the AVS game for awhile, does 4K even matter that much anymore when features like HDR are all the rage?



The projector names I keep seeing bandied about include the Xiaomi Mi and WEMAX One, and the XGIMI Lune 4K (and to a lesser extant some of the JMGO models). I'm actually familiar with Xiaomi, since I own one of their robot vacuums (I freakin love it), and the Xiaomi's see relatively easy to come by on websites like ********. So, which of these projectors is the one to get now? Which are the one's to keep an eye out on?


A bit about my needs/wants...I'm strictly a movie guy (trying to make it through the 1001 Moves You Must See Before You Die list), so I don't care if the projector is good for games or anything. My projector room is a dark, heavily curtained living room, but it's not completely blacked out or anything. One of the issues I've suffered with my last two projectors is that I never felt they got bright enough (the Optoma was rated at 1700 ANSI Lumens, but I feel it was rarely ever that bright). My source is a beefy Home Theater PC with an Nvidia GTX 1070. If possible, I'd like to be able to watch films at their native refresh rate. A short throw projector would work perfectly for my current living room setup. And um...I think that's about it.


So, what am I missing? Is this a waste of time? Which laser projectors should I be looking out for?



Thanks!

Love the title and I'm with you, I have 1800 hours on an RS500 and I'm looking to new laser PJs

adrift 05-10-2019 07:00 PM

Thanks! I eventually ended up with the XGIMI Lune (the brighte non-4K, but 4K compatible version), which, after tinkering with for awhile, I really love. It's bright, fast, and does exactly what it's supposed to do. I don't have to worry about mounting it behind me, or walking in front of the beam. It's pretty much everything I wanted. If I were to do it all over again, I'd probably find a safer, easier way to get it to me, and it looks like there are few more options now than when I was looking so that's good (I've seen the Xiaomi Mi selling at Walmart for decent prices already). Hope you find what you're looking for!

klas 05-10-2019 08:03 PM

Congrats! USTs are damn awesome! I have 1080p Xiaomi for now but looking forward to 4k options.

AV_Integrated 05-14-2019 01:04 PM

I am not against UST projectors, but there are some potential lens issues to carefully research, and there is cost savings to go to a traditional throw lens with a solid state light engine. A solidly bright laser based model is the Optoma UHZ65. It may fall out of this forum in terms of pricing.

I expect in the next year or two that we will see quite a few 4K DLP models with a solid state light engine hit the market under $3,000.

But, if your budget is well under $3,000, than the traditional lamp models really do provide greater performance for the money. As mentioned, the Epson 3700, with several replacement lamps, can last you 20,000 hours and adds just a few hundred bucks to the total ownership cost. With a brand new projector and a new projector warranty to boot.

Or the Epson 4010 which delivers 4K acceptance for the money.

Ogrinz 05-15-2019 11:17 PM

Not UST, but a solid laser projector which can be found refurbished is the Optoma UHZ65 which all the reviews say is incredible.

klas 05-16-2019 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ogrinz (Post 58054852)
Not UST, but a solid laser projector which can be found refurbished is the Optoma UHZ65 which all the reviews say is incredible.

Incredible picture with incredible amount of fan noise for an incredibly high price.

Ogrinz 05-16-2019 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by klas (Post 58055538)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ogrinz (Post 58054852)
Not UST, but a solid laser projector which can be found refurbished is the Optoma UHZ65 which all the reviews say is incredible.

Incredible picture with incredible amount of fan noise for an incredibly high price.

That's why I said refurbished. If you're patient you can snag one for a reasonable amount.

klas 05-16-2019 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ogrinz (Post 58055704)
That's why I said refurbished. If you're patient you can snag one for a reasonable amount.

I guess some enjoy that, but I stay away from incredibly noisy projectors. Besides if you wanted non UST with laser, LG HU80KA is much better bang for your buck and it's amazing.

groggrog 05-16-2019 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by klas (Post 58055732)
I guess some enjoy that, but I stay away from incredibly noisy projectors. Besides if you wanted non UST with laser, LG HU80KA is much better bang for your buck and it's amazing.

Aw man, I just got done mounting an Epson 5050UB and am now wondering why I didn't know about the LG HU80KA before. Ugh.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:23 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.