Is the Epson 5040ub a good replacement for my old Panasonic PT-AE4000 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By rekbones
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 11-27-2018, 11:27 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Is the Epson 5040ub a good replacement for my old Panasonic PT-AE4000

The bulb in my old Panasonic PT-AE4000 needs to be replaced and since a new one will cost $350 or so, I was thinking I might as use the $350 to help buy a new and better projector.

So is the Epson 5040ub big step-up from my PT-AE4000? I just want to make sure that whatever projector I decide to buy, I will be saying "wow, this is so much better than my old PT-AE4000, I'm so glad I bought this!" The PT-AE4000 is a 3LCD projector with 1920x1080 native resolution and only 1600 lumen output.

My home theatre screen is roughly 12 feet in width and I sit about 15 feet from the screen. I also only use the projector in a dedicated dark home theater room so ambient light is rarely an issue for me. The only time the lights are on in my theatre is when we eat while watching a movie.

I'm hoping that the 5040ub will have a much clearer image and much better blacks. As I said, I'm just hoping that I'm going to say "wow!". I'm willing to consider any projector that is $3000 or less, and I only chose the Epson 5040ub because it is the projector central's editor's choice in the price category that I'm looking at.

Also, how useful is the wireless feature of the 5040ube model? Is there any reason why I might really like this feature? Currently, the only content I watch in my theatre is either blue ray movies or youtube and Netflix. I don't watch any TV stations and have no cable or satelite.

Thanks for any advice or comments!
Judson Belnap is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 Old 11-28-2018, 05:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
rekbones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Somers, CT
Posts: 3,037
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked: 510
The 5040ub should be somewhat of an upgrade. Defiantly sharper and much brighter with a little better contrast. Your in the price range to also consider a JVC as the B stocks are selling for less then the Epson. They have a much better build quality, the best contrast in the business and 18Gb HDMI for full 4K input support the Epson lacks. The Epson will be brighter with cheaper replacement lamps but the JVC beats it in every other category.
ferbal and Calibratedlumens like this.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
rekbones is offline  
post #3 of 7 Old 11-28-2018, 12:31 PM
Member
 
joel dickman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Keep the Panasonic or wait a little for the new Epson 5050UB

Quote:
Originally Posted by wookiegr View Post
Read the reviews of the Epson at Amazon. Doesn't do much good to have an amazing projected image just to have the unit fail in any number of ways just after a year.
A significant number of Epson 5040UB users have experienced power supply problems rendering the projector unusable. Some unfortunate souls have returned their projectors to Epson for warranty replacement, only to get another lemon machine. Some have rinsed and repeated multiple times before getting a reliable unit. What percentage of 5040 users have had this problem? Only Epson knows. Surprise! surprise! They are not talking.

The vast majority of 5040 users have not experienced power supply failures or any other problems. I have had one for about a year and a half and it has worked perfectly. Extremely bright and sharp, with vivid color and very good contrast. The contrast is not as good as the JVC projectors, but it is still satisfying. The replacement lamps are significantly less costly than the JVC lamps. If you use your projector like a television, put in big hours, and intend to keep your projector for many years, lamp replacement costs can add up.

I see replacement lamps on Amazon and eBay for your Panasonic for much less than $350. Buying a "compatible" lamp that does not have the official Panasonic seal of approval is playing roulette. Sometimes you win, sometimes not.

The replacement for the Epson 5040 - the 5050UB - should be available in a month or two. I would wager that it will not have the power supply problem of the presently available projector. It will also have the 18 gbps HDMI chipset allowing it to be used with 4K UHD games and streaming services without add-on devices (HDFury Vertex, Linker and the like).

Will the Epson make you say WOW? I don't know. I went from a Marantz 12S4 DLP that was about 10 years old to the Epson, and I definitely did say WOW. But my Marantz was pretty dim compared to your Panasonic.

My 2 cents: play replacement lamp roulette with your Panasonic, or wait for the 5050UB.

Good luck with your choice, and happy viewing,
Joel Dickman

The harder it is to tell the difference, the less difference it makes.
joel dickman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 7 Old 11-28-2018, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by joel dickman View Post
A significant number of Epson 5040UB users have experienced power supply problems rendering the projector unusable. Some unfortunate souls have returned their projectors to Epson for warranty replacement, only to get another lemon machine. Some have rinsed and repeated multiple times before getting a reliable unit. What percentage of 5040 users have had this problem? Only Epson knows. Surprise! surprise! They are not talking.

The vast majority of 5040 users have not experienced power supply failures or any other problems. I have had one for about a year and a half and it has worked perfectly. Extremely bright and sharp, with vivid color and very good contrast. The contrast is not as good as the JVC projectors, but it is still satisfying. The replacement lamps are significantly less costly than the JVC lamps. If you use your projector like a television, put in big hours, and intend to keep your projector for many years, lamp replacement costs can add up.

I see replacement lamps on Amazon and eBay for your Panasonic for much less than $350. Buying a "compatible" lamp that does not have the official Panasonic seal of approval is playing roulette. Sometimes you win, sometimes not.

The replacement for the Epson 5040 - the 5050UB - should be available in a month or two. I would wager that it will not have the power supply problem of the presently available projector. It will also have the 18 gbps HDMI chipset allowing it to be used with 4K UHD games and streaming services without add-on devices (HDFury Vertex, Linker and the like).

Will the Epson make you say WOW? I don't know. I went from a Marantz 12S4 DLP that was about 10 years old to the Epson, and I definitely did say WOW. But my Marantz was pretty dim compared to your Panasonic.

My 2 cents: play replacement lamp roulette with your Panasonic, or wait for the 5050UB.

Good luck with your choice, and happy viewing,
Joel Dickman

The harder it is to tell the difference, the less difference it makes.
Thanks Joel, that is a great info. I'll either wait for to 5050UB or else check out the JVC B stocks as mentioned by rekbones. The quote at the end of your post is my favorite - it's what I'm always telling myself and my kids.
Judson Belnap is offline  
post #5 of 7 Old 11-28-2018, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks rekbones. I never considered JVC because I don't know anything about that brand except that very experienced people like yourself seem to favor the brand and D-ILA. Would mind recommending one or two JVC B stock models for me to consider? I could even go over $3000 if it will make a big difference.
Judson Belnap is offline  
post #6 of 7 Old 11-28-2018, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by wookiegr View Post
Read the reviews of the Epson at Amazon. Doesn't do much good to have an amazing projected image just to have the unit fail in any number of ways just after a year.
Good tip, thanks!
Judson Belnap is offline  
post #7 of 7 Old 11-28-2018, 07:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
rekbones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Somers, CT
Posts: 3,037
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judson Belnap View Post
Thanks rekbones. I never considered JVC because I don't know anything about that brand except that very experienced people like yourself seem to favor the brand and D-ILA. Would mind recommending one or two JVC B stock models for me to consider? I could even go over $3000 if it will make a big difference.
The JVC RS440/x590r is the current entry level DILA JVC but is soon to be retired. Here is a list of all the JVC's and the year they were introduced. Excluded are the new full 4K models the NX9, N7 and N5. If your considering used I wouldn't buy anything older then a RS46/x35. Send me a PM for where to get a quote if you don't know.

JVC Models – Consumer vs Professional line
2017 – 2018
DLA-X990R / RS640
DLA-X790R / RS540
DLA-X590R / RS440
JVC Projectors Jan 2017
DLA-X970R / RS620
DLA-X770R / RS520
DLA-X570R / RS420
JVC Projectors Cedia 2015 – end of 2016
DLA-X950R / RS600
DLA-X750R / RS500
DLA-X550R / RS400

JVC D-ILA home theater projectors – Cedia 2013 – Cedia 2015
DLA-X900R/RS67/RS6710
DLA-X700R/RS57
DLA-X500R/RS49/RS4910

DLA-X95R/DLA-RS66 Cedia 2012 - 2013
DLA-X75R/DLA-RS56
DLA-X55R/DLA-RS48 / RS4810
DLA-X35/DLA-RS46

X70R = RS55 Cedia 2011
X30 = RS45

X9 = RS60 Cedia 2010
X7 = RS50
X3 = RS40


HD990 = RS35 Cedia 2009 - 2010

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS

Last edited by rekbones; 11-28-2018 at 07:33 PM.
rekbones is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
epson 5040ub , panasonic pt-ae4000

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off