On the mercury in the lamps, who cares if one pops once in a blue moon. I would be more concerned if I was working at the mercury lamp factory than as a homeowner given cell phone radiation, microwave oven radiation/EMFs, pop corn butter, radio/TV/etc. waves, WiFi, plastic, Roundup, pesticides, black mold and every thing else that will kill you via cancer or something else. My Honda had airbags were deadly (we had three at the time...well we have three now but only one former airbag issue one). My blood pressure medicine has been recalled in the last week or so for being contaminated/deadly. Scary to eat lettuce and other produce not to mention Chipotle's track record.
Is the panic over ever little thing a generational thing? I've seen the younger generation complain about a little mold in the shower and leaded ammunition. When I went through the same academy, we had to clean our own showers and wouldn't have dreamed about speaking up on lead in ammunition since we were just trying to secure our dream career. Now you have to pat their backside and give them a snack to stop the whining. (Not all but a growing number.)
When my government workplace was tested several years ago, it tested positive for PCBs, asbestos and mold in the walls/ceiling and carpet. One younger co-worker suddenly developed life threatening allergies (rushed to the hospital twice) after the findings came out even though the prior year and a half in the office he/she was as healthy as a horse. Admittedly when the boss was asked about the toxic work environment his response of "don't lick the walls or carpet" was not met with enthusiasm. We had a even less enthusiasm a year later when they moved us from our private individual offices (some with bathrooms/showers) in the toxic environment to a brand new building with tiny cubicles.
The employee with the allergies was long gone before we were, and sadly so were my after lunch naps and extensive TV research during less busy work hours.
(Near the end of a long long career, so don't judge me.)
A mercury Lamp pops and running out of the house to throw the projector into the yard, or throwing out the projector if mercury lamp based projector sales are banned....common sense? Maybe, but not for me. Years ago I stocked up on pesticides prior to several being banned. I stocked up on freon prior to the ban. Many...many years ago I had a relative who had a drum of DDT which he used for decades after the ban around his farm. At the time I thought the old guy was crazy. (Old age got him not the DDT.) I recently saw a piece on how mosquito netting with DDT sprayed on the netting would save a staggering number of lives in third world countries by combating mosquito bites and illnesses. I will not quote the number because it seemed unbelievable...think mill plus ion a year. Let's keep the egg shells firm and let kids/adults...suffer. Makes sense??? Maybe??? However, I would vote for saving people not birds. Makes sense??? Maybe???
I have four lamp based projector and spare lamps for only two of them. Please keep up the "ban" thread so I'll know when it is time to stock up on lamps.