Official Epson Home Cinema 4010 / Pro Cinema 4050 Owner’s Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 13Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #31 of 89 Old 12-20-2018, 09:38 AM
Member
 
benrub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 194
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by trulsrohk View Post
Should not require any keystone whatsoever if level and completely parallel to the wall it's projecting onto as far as I know
That's right. If you're seeing keystone shaped distortion, it means that either your projector or your screen is tilted.

Ben R.
benrub is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 89 Old 12-26-2018, 07:30 PM
Member
 
MisterClean84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Lake Jackson, Tx
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
What screen is everyone using? I'm upgrading from a DIY blackout cloth to probably a silver ticket screen and I'm having a terrible time deciding which one to get.
MisterClean84 is offline  
post #33 of 89 Old 12-26-2018, 07:36 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 156
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterClean84 View Post
What screen is everyone using? I'm upgrading from a DIY blackout cloth to probably a silver ticket screen and I'm having a terrible time deciding which one to get.
Im getting a 120” 2.35:1 Elunevision Reference 4K mortorized Tab tension, 1.0 gain
https://elunevision.com/screens/refe...tab-tensioned/

Build Thread:https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...m-wet-bar.html
Theatre Room: Samsung UN55KU7000F | Pioneer SP-FS52 x 2 | Polk MC80 x 2
Epson 5040UB | 120" Elunevision 4K Reference Tab 2.35:1 | Philharmonic Audio Affordable Accuracy Center Channel
phanttom is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #34 of 89 Old 12-29-2018, 02:49 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Where do you find 2.35:1 content?
Bogdan Andrei is offline  
post #35 of 89 Old 12-29-2018, 05:36 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: New Delhi, India
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogdan Andrei View Post
Where do you find 2.35:1 content?
Hi andre, almost every movie which have black bars are either in 2.35:1 or 2.40:1 so there is no shortage of content
jerryjames72 is offline  
post #36 of 89 Old 12-29-2018, 05:55 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Yes, but still new to this projector and not many hours spent. The source is detected as 16:9, how do I switch to 2.35:1? Just zoom and adjust or does it automatically crop the black edges somehow?
Sorry for putting this silly thing.
Also I'm expecting Fire stick 4k, anyone has it? Will I get 4k hdr 24fps downscale?
Bogdan Andrei is offline  
post #37 of 89 Old 12-29-2018, 09:19 AM
Member
 
MisterClean84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Lake Jackson, Tx
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by phanttom View Post
Im getting a 120” 2.35:1 Elunevision Reference 4K mortorized Tab tension, 1.0 gain
https://elunevision.com/screens/refe...tab-tensioned/
I'll be getting a fixed screen. Comparing the silverticket gray (1.0 gain) and the white (1.1 gain), at least in my room, the gray looks better in just about every light. I like the better whites and color pop with the white but everything else including skin tones are just too washed out. This is using the color correction settings from the 4010 review posted a few posts back
MisterClean84 is offline  
post #38 of 89 Old 12-29-2018, 06:06 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: MD
Posts: 311
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by phanttom View Post
Im getting a 120” 2.35:1 Elunevision Reference 4K mortorized Tab tension, 1.0 gain
https://elunevision.com/screens/refe...tab-tensioned/
Great screen! I have the same but in 16x9

I love mine. I'm curious to know your thoughts

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk
evilmonstertruk is offline  
post #39 of 89 Old 12-30-2018, 10:31 AM
Member
 
David Sal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Puerto Rico
Posts: 68
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm seriously thinking about the Epson 4010, but right now I have a Panasonic AE8000. How would the Epson compare regarding the contrast and blacks? Would it be better, equal or worst?

Enviado desde mi Moto G (5) Plus mediante Tapatalk
David Sal is offline  
post #40 of 89 Old 12-30-2018, 10:45 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 156
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Here is a video showing the 5040 vs the Panasonic. I suspect the 4010/4050 would be in between but still better than the Panasonic.

https://youtu.be/qR1xpCBAtdc
David Sal and biga6761 like this.

Build Thread:https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...m-wet-bar.html
Theatre Room: Samsung UN55KU7000F | Pioneer SP-FS52 x 2 | Polk MC80 x 2
Epson 5040UB | 120" Elunevision 4K Reference Tab 2.35:1 | Philharmonic Audio Affordable Accuracy Center Channel
phanttom is offline  
post #41 of 89 Old 01-03-2019, 09:46 AM
Member
 
benrub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 194
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Fellas,

Does anyone have any thoughts, recommendations, opinions about using a surge protector with the Epson 4010? I currently have mine plugged directly into the wall outlet.

I’m wary of surge protectors. I’ve heard that some of them actually limit/reduce the amount of power to the devices that are plugged into them.

The power cable that came with the Epson says “10A 125V” so I want to be sure that if do add a surge protector, that I use one that can easily provide 10 amps / 125 volts of power to the projector.

A single outlet surge protector would be preferable as opposed to a larger power strip.

Any advice on this would be much appreciated.
benrub is offline  
post #42 of 89 Old 01-05-2019, 07:32 PM
Member
 
bondslex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 130
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I'm sure everyone is having fun with these new PJs. Anybody care to share any pics of their projected images?
bondslex is offline  
post #43 of 89 Old 01-06-2019, 06:44 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Does anyone have a good demo of the Epson 4050/4010. Struggling to find a high quality comparison comparing these projectors to other 4K shifters.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Buckeye_Bry is offline  
post #44 of 89 Old 01-06-2019, 08:04 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 73
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye_Bry View Post
Does anyone have a good demo of the Epson 4050/4010. Struggling to find a high quality comparison comparing these projectors to other 4K shifters.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Based on all my research the new Epson's and JVC's have the best shifting of all the manufactures and are very good at it. 4010 literally has only been out a few months so not a lot of testing. Projectorcentral and hometheaterhifi did it and the first probably the most popular place for reviews on projectors. Not sure over time if you'll see a whole lot more out there with those type of credentials doing the review.

We are kind of in a tweener market right now without spending 4k+ to get a native 4K projector and have been stuck there for a little while. It will probably be another 3 years or so before native 4K starts falling into the 2k area price point. Reason it takes so long for technology tickle down is the consumer projector market isn't that big.


I'm moving forward on Epson 4010 when it pops up on sale again for 1799. At that price I can see how the market plays out over the next 5 years or so and won't feel to bad upgrading down the road. I have hard time right now dropping 3.5K+ on pixel shifting projector to appear 4K when we are getting closer and closer of native 4K for more reasonable price.
skylolow is offline  
post #45 of 89 Old 01-06-2019, 09:11 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylolow View Post
Based on all my research the new Epson's and JVC's have the best shifting of all the manufactures and are very good at it. 4010 literally has only been out a few months so not a lot of testing. Projectorcentral and hometheaterhifi did it and the first probably the most popular place for reviews on projectors. Not sure over time if you'll see a whole lot more out there with those type of credentials doing the review.



We are kind of in a tweener market right now without spending 4k+ to get a native 4K projector and have been stuck there for a little while. It will probably be another 3 years or so before native 4K starts falling into the 2k area price point. Reason it takes so long for technology tickle down is the consumer projector market isn't that big.





I'm moving forward on Epson 4010 when it pops up on sale again for 1799. At that price I can see how the market plays out over the next 5 years or so and won't feel to bad upgrading down the road. I have hard time right now dropping 3.5K+ on pixel shifting projector to appear 4K when we are getting closer and closer of native 4K for more reasonable price.


I tend to agree. I waiting for CES and the Super Bowl sales (Feb 3) before pulling the trigger. I was leaning toward the JVC 540 (3.7k) or a 5040 (2.2k). I believe the new 5050 will be closer to 3k once released with the pro version 6050 3.5k. This is just my guess. Given the e-shift 4K market, I’m not sure the improvement/cost ratio justifies spending more than a 4050 (~2k) at this point. Obviously prosumers will have a different opinion. For casual theater enthusiasts, I’m not so sure...


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
skylolow likes this.
Buckeye_Bry is offline  
post #46 of 89 Old 01-06-2019, 11:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BCRSS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: TX
Posts: 1,186
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye_Bry View Post
I tend to agree. I waiting for CES and the Super Bowl sales (Feb 3) before pulling the trigger. I was leaning toward the JVC 540 (3.7k) or a 5040 (2.2k). I believe the new 5050 will be closer to 3k once released with the pro version 6050 3.5k. This is just my guess. Given the e-shift 4K market, I’m not sure the improvement/cost ratio justifies spending more than a 4050 (~2k) at this point. Obviously prosumers will have a different opinion. For casual theater enthusiasts, I’m not so sure...


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I bought the 4050 and feel it was a good buy. Ceiling mount, extra lamp, and 3 year quick replacement, were the reasons why I bought it. It is a big projector and so far looks good with the limited amount of time I have had with it. Here is a good review of the 4010 and 4050


BCRSS is offline  
post #47 of 89 Old 01-17-2019, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
GrandPixel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 853
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Cross-posting my projector buying experience in appropriate threads...

I purchased the Epson HC4010, installed it, used it for a few days, and the lack of contrast because of high black levels bothered me. I returned it and purchased the HC5040UB, which is now basically the same price as the 4010 because of the sale and free lamp - I think Epson plans to replace the 5040 with a new model soon.

I installed the 5040UB and immediately noticed the lower black levels in almost every scene, which gave the picture greater contrast and looks far better.

When projectorcentral compares the two projectors and talks about black levels, they basically say the difference is not small. Here is their conclusion: "The HC5040 has better contrast and, especially, lower black levels that far exceed the capabilities of the HC4010, but which are really only brought to bear on very dark scenes, and in dark-room theater viewing. On most bright or mixed material, or in even moderate ambient light, both projectors are close in contrast performance."

However, I don't have a light-controlled room (yet) and I have a white ceiling (for now) and I have to say, I immediately noticed the higher contrast in just about every scene except where the entire image is bright. Think of it like upgrading a TV half-way from LCD to OLED. In this price range, especially with 5040 sale prices, the 5040UB is a no-brainer.
biga6761 likes this.
GrandPixel is offline  
post #48 of 89 Old 05-01-2019, 08:42 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I'm starting to notice noise from my new unit that's NOT coming from fan. It's very similar to the kind noise made by hard drives. Is it possible the lens motors are activated from time to time. It's not very loud and not constant , but frequent and noticeable enough to bother me. Does anyone else having the same problem? Is this normal or should I order an replacement?
JAA_1888 is offline  
post #49 of 89 Old 05-01-2019, 04:01 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAA_1888 View Post
I'm starting to notice noise from my new unit that's NOT coming from fan. It's very similar to the kind noise made by hard drives. Is it possible the lens motors are activated from time to time. It's not very loud and not constant , but frequent and noticeable enough to bother me. Does anyone else having the same problem? Is this normal or should I order an replacement?
Is it a ticking? Does it happen with the Auto IRIS turned off?
LangBedang is offline  
post #50 of 89 Old 05-02-2019, 01:52 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by LangBedang View Post
Is it a ticking? Does it happen with the Auto IRIS turned off?
Good catch, LangBedang. Auto IRIS was set @ high. Not sure if it's by default like that, or I set it unintentionally somehow.
Thanks a lot. Mystery solved.
JAA_1888 is offline  
post #51 of 89 Old 05-04-2019, 10:25 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
So I bought the 4010 about 7 month ago and 2 days ago the lamp suddenly stopped working. Unplugged the PJ and plugged it back in after a few minutes and now the fan comes on for a minute and then the Status light is flashing and the lamp light turns solid orange. I looked at the bulb itself and didn’t see any discoloration or anything plus the lamp has only approx 700 hours on it. Called Epson support and the lady said it must be the lamp and I’ll have to buy a new one. I understand the lamp doesn’t last forever but 700 hours? I have the setting on bright cinema and high power consumption is turned off. Epson states the lamp should last at least 3500 hours. I’m a little bit worried since I didn’t get any on screen message about the bulb before it stopped working and the symptoms are the same that people stated about the power supply failure.
Anyways, I ordered an OEM Osram replacement bulb and hoping I just had a bad bulb. Still not happy the lamp only lasted 7 month and 700ish hours. Anyone else here who had to replace the lamp already?

Denon AVR X4400H
Panasonic DP-UB820
Klipsch RP-280FA
Klipsch RP-450C
Klipsch PR-160M
SaschaP is offline  
post #52 of 89 Old 05-08-2019, 03:38 PM
Member
 
darkstar3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just recently purchased an Epson 4010 to replace my Epson 8350. I'm generally quite pleased with the result, especially after tweaking some settings. I am looking for reference/expert calibration settings ...is anyone aware of any?
darkstar3 is offline  
post #53 of 89 Old 05-09-2019, 07:49 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaschaP View Post
So I bought the 4010 about 7 month ago and 2 days ago the lamp suddenly stopped working. Unplugged the PJ and plugged it back in after a few minutes and now the fan comes on for a minute and then the Status light is flashing and the lamp light turns solid orange. I looked at the bulb itself and didn’t see any discoloration or anything plus the lamp has only approx 700 hours on it. Called Epson support and the lady said it must be the lamp and I’ll have to buy a new one. I understand the lamp doesn’t last forever but 700 hours? I have the setting on bright cinema and high power consumption is turned off. Epson states the lamp should last at least 3500 hours. I’m a little bit worried since I didn’t get any on screen message about the bulb before it stopped working and the symptoms are the same that people stated about the power supply failure.
Anyways, I ordered an OEM Osram replacement bulb and hoping I just had a bad bulb. Still not happy the lamp only lasted 7 month and 700ish hours. Anyone else here who had to replace the lamp already?
Update:
The replacement bulb came in yesterday so I replaced the broken one with the new one and well, it worked for about 6 hours! After 6 hours the lamp turned off again, status light flashing and lamp light solid orange. Called Epson again but the person I talked to wasn’t helpful at all and blamed the bulb I ordered which I told him was an original Osram bulb. He didn’t care. Now waiting on the Epson replacement housing. My assumption is that this is a power surge issue or something like that and that the 3rd bulb will break within a few days of use just like the last 2.

Denon AVR X4400H
Panasonic DP-UB820
Klipsch RP-280FA
Klipsch RP-450C
Klipsch PR-160M
SaschaP is offline  
post #54 of 89 Old 05-14-2019, 10:42 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Is there any chance Epson will announce a 18gbit model of this one later this year?
Or will they wait another two years before updating their lineup?
Ig3l is offline  
post #55 of 89 Old 05-18-2019, 07:07 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Can anyone tell me how the brightness of this project compares to an EPSON 2150 in the real world? I currently own the 2150. It is rated at 2500 lumens. I'm finding that the lumen rating is kind of like contrast ratings....doesn't mean that much.
jbail804 is offline  
post #56 of 89 Old 05-19-2019, 07:58 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Has anyone tried the "harpervision" setting on the 4010? Does it transfer over to the 4010?
jbail804 is offline  
post #57 of 89 Old 06-05-2019, 07:19 PM
Advanced Member
 
Cla55clown's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Arvada, Colorado (Denver area)
Posts: 721
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked: 119
how does this compare to the BenQ HT3550 since they are around the same price give or take a few hundred?
Cla55clown is offline  
post #58 of 89 Old 07-08-2019, 06:53 AM
Newbie
 
jtarvainen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Motor noise with 4K signals

Recently got the Epson HC 4010 (European model EH-TW7400, should be the same product) and my unit emits a noticeable humming motor noise whenever (and only when) it displays a 4K signal, whether native 4K or a lower-resolution signal upscaled to 4K using the "4K enhancement" feature. I have the fan set to ECO mode and the motor noise is immediately noticeable above the regular fan noise whenever the projector starts displaying a 4K signal.

I was surprised by the noise, as none of the reviews I read mentioned it. Has anyone experienced a similar issue?

Last edited by jtarvainen; 07-08-2019 at 07:01 AM. Reason: additional info
jtarvainen is offline  
post #59 of 89 Old 07-12-2019, 08:56 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtarvainen View Post
Recently got the Epson HC 4010 (European model EH-TW7400, should be the same product) and my unit emits a noticeable humming motor noise whenever (and only when) it displays a 4K signal, whether native 4K or a lower-resolution signal upscaled to 4K using the "4K enhancement" feature. I have the fan set to ECO mode and the motor noise is immediately noticeable above the regular fan noise whenever the projector starts displaying a 4K signal.

I was surprised by the noise, as none of the reviews I read mentioned it. Has anyone experienced a similar issue?
Same EU version here, but no noise, I've tried to mute volume, switch modes... nothing. As someone pointed on a similar EU forum might be present on some models only, or my ears are not picking it up.
Bogdan Andrei is offline  
post #60 of 89 Old 07-14-2019, 11:11 PM
Newbie
 
jtarvainen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogdan Andrei View Post
Same EU version here, but no noise, I've tried to mute volume, switch modes... nothing. As someone pointed on a similar EU forum might be present on some models only, or my ears are not picking it up.
Interesting, thanks for the comment.

Another thing: I have an Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K and cannot seem to get the Epson 4010 (or, to be exact, its European equivalent EH-TW7400) to display 4K HDR 24p content as 10-bit 4:2:2. I've tried a number of sources (Amazon Prime Video, Netflix with the Kodi addon, local test video files, and HDR content with the Smart Youtube app), but the projector always reverts to 8-bit 4:4:4, even when I connect the Fire TV directly to the projector's HDMI 1 input. Have any of you been able to display 10-bit HDR content correctly with the Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K and the Epson HC 4010 or 4050?
jtarvainen is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off