Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 12-12-2018, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 0
high end 720p projector

Hello!
I need a little assistance from my av family! I have a dedicated home theater with a digital projection projector which does a fantastic job and im happy with. I recently developed that "projector itch" and decided i wanted to purchase a low cost high end 720p unit. IMAGE QUALITY (sharpness, color reproduction) is my forte! Which unit should I choose? Sharp xv-z12000. Marantz vp-12s3 or infocus screenplay 777. Two single chippers and one three chipper (dlp). Im not expecting any of these to match nor beat my current 1080p model. Im simply looking to play around with one of these from time to time. Thanks All!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 12-12-2018, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

high end 720p projector

My apologies for posting this thread in both under and over $3000 threads. These were all over 3000 in there day but have since dropped to a fraction of there mrsp prices. Again my apologies. Thanks!

Hello!
I need a little assistance from my av family! I have a dedicated home theater with a digital projection projector which does a fantastic job and im happy with. I recently developed that "projector itch" and decided i wanted to purchase a low cost high end 720p unit. IMAGE QUALITY (sharpness, color reproduction) is my forte! Which unit should I choose? Sharp xv-z12000. Marantz vp-12s3 or infocus screenplay 777. Two single chippers and one three chipper (dlp). Im not expecting any of these to match nor beat my current 1080p model. Im simply looking to play around with one of these from time to time. Thanks All!
post #3 of 16 Old 12-12-2018, 02:37 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 241 Post(s)
Quoted: 12522 Post(s)
Liked: 10133
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by orunmila4 View Post
My apologies for posting this thread in both under and over $3000 threads. These were all over 3000 in there day but have since dropped to a fraction of there mrsp prices. Again my apologies. Thanks!

Hello!
I would look for the Marantz VP-12S4 over the 12S3, much better projector. I have a 12S4 in storage. Thought one of my kids might want to use it, but both are still in school.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 12-12-2018, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks mike will do! Appreciate the response!
post #5 of 16 Old 12-12-2018, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Thanks mike will do! Appreciate the response!
What is your budget?
post #6 of 16 Old 12-12-2018, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
What is your budget?
Anywhere up to $350
post #7 of 16 Old 12-13-2018, 09:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 3787 Post(s)
Liked: 3001
You do understand that all of these projector models have been out of production for more than 10 years, right? Have you done any searching on the used projector market to see if any of them are being advertised for sale and what the asking prices are? You can also do a search for old reviews to see how their performance was rated when new. Since all had MSRPs of >$3,000 any previous discussion on these specific projectors would be in the Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP section of AVS Forum.
post #8 of 16 Old 12-13-2018, 09:30 AM

With that budget, you will do well if you can get one of the projectors mentioned. The lamps cost more than $350.
post #9 of 16 Old 12-13-2018, 10:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 101 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1611 Post(s)
Liked: 1184
The Z12000 will deliver similar performance to what the BenQ w1070 from 6 years ago delivers.

I remember when I got my first digital projector when they first started crashing in price. A Panasonic PT-L300U projector. It was a 'mere' $2,000. 960x540 resolution. The day after I got it I took it into work. I worked at a local 'high-end' AV dealer that has now gone out of business and I split the signal from a DVD player between my projector and a $12,000 Runco projector. The difference in quality between the two, at 120" diagonal, was marginal. I mean VERY minimal. The Runco bested the Panasonic in almost every single way, but not by much. It was native 720p, it was a bit brighter, it had better motion handling. But, it was at least 10dB louder. In fact, the noise difference between the two was incredible! The Panasonic just floored the much louder Runco in terms of noise level. Pretty shocking. The big take-away from this, was that within the next month 3 of the 5 sales guys who had seen my little test had either purchased the same Panasonic or had gotten a Sanyo Z1.

The point to all of this is that given just a few years the quality of projectors continues to improve significantly and what was once extremely high end, becomes fairly low end. One of the biggest factors in all of this comes from image processing chips. So, the image processing on a 777 was phenomenal when it was released. But that was 2004.
https://www.projectorcentral.com/InF...enPlay_777.htm
By 2008 when it was discontinued, the image processing had moved towards 1080p, and by the early 2010's 1080p with full 3D support was standard. Now it is moving firmly into the 18Gb/s HDMI resolutions of 4K and everything between you throw at it.

I wouldn't waste money on old technology. It's getting cheap to buy, but if you have a setup already, then... well, it's your money. Certainly those are all similarly good models. But, there's a reason why that SP777 dropped from 10 grand to something like 2 grand right when it was discontinued. The ones that show any image are still selling for $200-$300 online from what I can tell as well. So, it's not 'free' to get into that market. I would rather look for a older JVC and see how it compares. I think I might be more tempted on that instead...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/JVC-DLA-HD2...cQEJ:rk:4:pf:0

That's native 1080p. Just not as bright as the newer models.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #10 of 16 Old 12-13-2018, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
You do understand that all of these projector models have been out of production for more than 10 years, right? Have you done any searching on the used projector market to see if any of them are being advertised for sale and what the asking prices are? You can also do a search for old reviews to see how their performance was rated when new. Since all had MSRPs of >$3,000 any previous discussion on these specific projectors would be in the Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP section of AVS Forum.
Hello Dave,
Yes i wholeheartedly understand that all three are extremely outdated. As such, i just wanted something to play around with. Nothing extraordinary. One was a curiosity (the three chipper) and the others i read rave (ancient) reviews about. Thanks "AV" for the recommendation and response. Im kinda a dlp guy!

I still extremely open to further suggestions. If i could find a high end dlp 1080p machine for a relatively low price im all for it! But again, im not looking to break the bank nor replace my dpi. Just trying to have a little projector fun here and there!
post #11 of 16 Old 12-13-2018, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
With that budget, you will do well if you can get one of the projectors mentioned. The lamps cost more than $350.
Hahaha! Thanks Mike! Out of the three which would you choose? (I wouldnt hold you accountable for anything!) what size screen did you have with your 12s4?
post #12 of 16 Old 12-13-2018, 12:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 3787 Post(s)
Liked: 3001
@orunmila4 , since you seem set on pursuing an older higher end model I would suggest that you take the conversation to the Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP section. That's where most of the folks who would be familiar with these models tend to hang out. This is really the lower end projector section where very few will be familiar with the models you're interested in.
post #13 of 16 Old 12-13-2018, 12:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Quote:
Hello!
I need a little assistance from my av family! I have a dedicated home theater with a digital projection projector which does a fantastic job and im happy with. I recently developed that "projector itch" and decided i wanted to purchase a low cost high end 720p unit. IMAGE QUALITY (sharpness, color reproduction) is my forte! Which unit should I choose? Sharp . Marantz vp-12s3 or infocus screenplay 777. Two single chippers and one three chipper (dlp). Im not expecting any of these to match nor beat my current 1080p model. Im simply looking to play around with one of these from time to time. Thanks All!
I think you would be better off "Playing with" Old High end 1080P units. PD8050/30, LS5/3, VP11s, Samsung (forget the model) as they will have a bit more light. Of the 3 you listed I would go with the 777 as it has a bit more light..
Good luck and have fun!

Doug
Planar PD8150 with DC4 DMD paired with a Dalite HP 2.8 120"
http://www.airscapesart.com

post #14 of 16 Old 12-13-2018, 07:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 81
scratching a projector itch

Quote:
...I have a dedicated home theater with a digital projection projector which does a fantastic job and im happy with. I recently developed that "projector itch" and decided i wanted to purchase a low cost high end 720p unit. IMAGE QUALITY (sharpness, color reproduction) is my forte... Im not expecting any of these to match nor beat my current 1080p model. Im simply looking to play around with one of these from time to time. Thanks All!
You say that you have a 1080p projector that you are happy with, and you prize IMAGE QUALITY. You have not told us which projector you have, or what screen and screen size, details of your viewing environment, and the like. It is hard to know what will scratch your itch, or why you desire a projector from ten or fifteen years ago. If you want to "play around", why not play with something that can improve your viewing experience?

I see Darbee image enhancement units for sale on eBay for less than $100. The Darbee is adjustable, so you can season your picture to taste. Many home theater people like the effect. It might scratch your itch, and is a better investment than a fifteen year old projector.

FWIW, I had a Marantz 12S4 for many years. Very good image quality. Not much light output. Replacement lamps were costly. I would not buy one today.

Happy viewing,
Joel Dickman

The harder it is to tell the difference, the less difference it makes.

Last edited by joel dickman; 12-16-2018 at 07:30 AM.
post #15 of 16 Old 12-13-2018, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Hahaha! Thanks Mike! Out of the three which would you choose? (I wouldnt hold you accountable for anything!) what size screen did you have with your 12s4?
What size screen, aspect ratio and gain screen do you have? What projector do you currently have? Of the three you listed, I would pick the Infocus Screenplay 777, due to the light output. As for what screen I had with my 12S4, it was a 106" 2.8 gain HP screen. The 12S4 looked like a large plasma TV on that screen.
post #16 of 16 Old 12-13-2018, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by joel dickman View Post
Sometimes when you have a hobby, you get bored with the same old thing. What used to be fresh and green starts to get a little bit stale. You develop an itch for something new, a change of pace. Sadly, it can happen in your personal relationships too.

You say that you have a 1080p projector that you are happy with, and you prize IMAGE QUALITY. But you have not told us which projector you have, or what screen and screen size, details of your viewing environment, and the like. So it is hard to know what will really scratch your itch, or why you desire a projector from ten or fifteen years ago. If you want to play around, why not do so with something that will improve your viewing experience?

I see Darbee image enhancement units for sale on eBay for less than $100. The Darbee is adjustable, so you can season your picture to taste. Lots of home theater people like the effect it produces. It might allow you to relieve your itch, and is probably a better investment than a ten year old projector.

FWIW, I had a Marantz 12S4 for many years. Very good image quality, but not much light output. And lamps were costly.

Happy viewing,
Joel Dickman

The harder it is to tell the difference, the less difference it makes.
Hello,
Thanks Joel. Yes, i have a darbee 5000s on a dpi m-vision cine 260 hc. I usually only turn the darbee on with animated movies and even then never above 45. i feel anything over that over exposes the edges and makes the picture quality look very "processed". My theater screen is a 130" silver screen (2.0 gain). Completely dark room no lights nor windows whatsoever. I also have a 92" and 100" screen that have been lying around for quite some time. I was interested in those models for that they all seem to have great optics and so forth. Could use any of them for a quick movie night over my brothers house or the like. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page