Need Experienced help on projector screens - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 01-06-2019, 09:46 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Need Experienced help on projector screens

Hey guys so I'm what you'd call a projector virgin, having never owned one in my life nor do I know anyone that has owned one for me to say I have any penny of experience with them.

With that said I finally took the plunger and ordered one and I'm so excited!!! but unlike with a TV where you don't have to worry about a screen since it's all there.

Now I have narrowed it down to 3 choices. My brain is being logical and telling me to go with the cheaper (relatively) option but my heart is saying just get the expensive since it'll be a one time purchase and used for many years.
One thing I know about the world we live is that usually more often than not the more something costs the better quality but this isn't always the case and because I have no prior experience with Projector screens I'm lost.

You guys that are experience would be able to look at these 3 screens and pick up on little features that I might not so that's where I need ya'll help.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MJ4WAWG...v_ov_lig_dp_it

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Y7X9SKO...v_ov_lig_dp_it

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000YTRFEG...v_ov_lig_dp_it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-06-2019, 09:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Some one else might chime in but from my own experience drop down screens tend to wrinkle with time and use . If you can go with a fixed screen .
post #3 of 11 Old 01-06-2019, 10:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 773 Post(s)
Liked: 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermike67 View Post
Some one else might chime in but from my own experience drop down screens tend to wrinkle with time and use . If you can go with a fixed screen .

I agree. If @the7mcs does need a drop down, then the first link he posted is tab tensioned and shouldn’t have any noticeable waves or wrinkles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 01-07-2019, 04:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Yes I concur with the others, does it have to be a drop down? If so will you have speakers behind the screen?

If the answer is yes to both of those, look into a tabbed tension screen like the first one but that is also accusticly transparent.

If the answer is no to both of those then look at a fixed projector screen.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
post #5 of 11 Old 01-07-2019, 08:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 1368 Post(s)
Liked: 703
Their are way too many unanswered questions to give you any advice on a screen. Wait until you get the projector and experiment on a blank wall, hang a sheet or any thing you can use temporally. Room conditions as in the amount of controlled light as in ambient or reflected is the most difficult to deal with. Screen size and throw distance are also a big factor. Personal preference is the biggest factor and is why experimenting is the best way to find out the projectors limitations so give it a good amount of time until you get used to it as at first it will look huge compared to a TV but most regret that they didn't go bigger after its too late.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
post #6 of 11 Old 01-07-2019, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekbones View Post
Their are way too many unanswered questions to give you any advice on a screen. Wait until you get the projector and experiment on a blank wall, hang a sheet or any thing you can use temporally. Room conditions as in the amount of controlled light as in ambient or reflected is the most difficult to deal with. Screen size and throw distance are also a big factor. Personal preference is the biggest factor and is why experimenting is the best way to find out the projectors limitations so give it a good amount of time until you get used to it as at first it will look huge compared to a TV but most regret that they didn't go bigger after its too late.
I want to personally thank each of you guys for helping me on the start of my journey into the world of projectors

I am thinking for now 100 inch screen should be more than big enough, definitely want a motorized screen, and will have speakers behind screen so it needs to be acoustically transparent as someone mentioned above.
post #7 of 11 Old 01-07-2019, 09:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by the7mcs View Post
I want to personally thank each of you guys for helping me on the start of my journey into the world of projectors

I am thinking for now 100 inch screen should be more than big enough, definitely want a motorized screen, and will have speakers behind screen so it needs to be acoustically transparent as someone mentioned above.
At that side you will also want a tan tension screen.. Otherwise you will get sag on the bottom.. think of the sage when you lower a large flag it curtains...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
post #8 of 11 Old 01-07-2019, 09:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Generally 100" is about the smallest most folks go when it comes to projection. If you only watch tv, play games and sit less than about 8-10 feet away it would probably be fine. For letterbox movies, 100" might be smaller than you expect. I would suggest waiting on the screen until you've had a chance to experiment with screen sizes on your wall. Picking a screen that is too big or too small is probably the most common mistake I see by noobs on this forum. Lastly, I'll add that acoustically transparent screens will be more expensive and come with some drawbacks in terms of picture quality. If you can fit the center channel under the screen and your L/R speakers to the sides this might be better and more affordable. Good Luck!
post #9 of 11 Old 01-07-2019, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bix26 View Post
Generally 100" is about the smallest most folks go when it comes to projection. If you only watch tv, play games and sit less than about 8-10 feet away it would probably be fine. For letterbox movies, 100" might be smaller than you expect. I would suggest waiting on the screen until you've had a chance to experiment with screen sizes on your wall. Picking a screen that is too big or too small is probably the most common mistake I see by noobs on this forum. Lastly, I'll add that acoustically transparent screens will be more expensive and come with some drawbacks in terms of picture quality. If you can fit the center channel under the screen and your L/R speakers to the sides this might be better and more affordable. Good Luck!
Thanks friend!
AVS folks you've saved my butt again from future headaches......

I believe I have found what seems to fit perfectly and it is tab tensioned and still around a very affordable price for my budget.

A few noob questions

1. Just because the screen says it is 125 inches doesn't mean I HAVE to use it at that size right? If say I only want to use it at 100 or some where in between that and 125 max is there like a button on the remote and the screen drops down to that exact size or do I need to pull out a measuring tape?

2. Also with these screens do you just screw them to the ceiling like you would any other thing that is being ceiling mounted or are there extra hidden steps to blind side you and worry about when mounting.
post #10 of 11 Old 01-07-2019, 05:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks friend!

AVS folks you've saved my butt again from future headaches......

I believe I have found what seems to fit perfectly and it is tab tensioned and still around a very affordable price for my budget.

A few noob questions

1. Just because the screen says it is 125 inches doesn't mean I HAVE to use it at that size right? If say I only want to use it at 100 or some where in between that and 125 max is there like a button on the remote and the screen drops down to that exact size or do I need to pull out a measuring tape?

2. Also with these screens do you just screw them to the ceiling like you would any other thing that is being ceiling mounted or are there extra hidden steps to blind side you and worry about when mounting.

1) No, you don't have too, although I would strongly suggest trying to fit the screen as close to the black boarder as possible. Not doing so will make the picture a lot less immersive. I started out just projecting on the wall and It seemed very flat, adding a screen and removing the white frame that the wall created really made a dramatic difference. Most screens have the ability to set a stop point of where the screen sops in its lowering.

2) Yes, you should either screw into the rafters or add bracing in between them. If this is too much trouble you can use sheet rock anchors, should hold the weight but no guaranty.

Last edited by bix26; 01-07-2019 at 05:38 PM.
post #11 of 11 Old 01-07-2019, 07:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 1368 Post(s)
Liked: 703
Without knowing what projector model you bought we can't help you with screen sizes in relation to throw distance and placement limitations. Please don't order a screen until you have the projector to experiment with or at least tell us the model and we can help with its placement and screen size ranges as it can't be just placed anywhere.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page