AVS Forum banner

Optoma P1 4k Laser UST @ CES

673K views 4K replies 328 participants last post by  copperfield74 
#1 ·
#3 · (Edited)
This is not the short throw you are looking for.

What a bummer for all those people who waited for CES.

Curious why we haven’t seen a true budget lamp based 4k UST here in the US like they have been selling like hot cakes in China. Further supports my theory that Americans have money to burn and are more than willing to do so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 ·
Why a bummer? Not sure if you think is is not good enough, or if it's too expensive since it's not a budget, lamp based model.

#5 ·
I agree; same with the Hisense UST Laser 4k Projector and their integrated speakers & subwoofer. Especially at that higher price point, I would expect most people to have a dedicated (possibly surround) sound setup and not want to rely on whats integrated with the projector.

#22 · (Edited)
For everyone wondering when the big boys were going to catch up with the influx of Chinese USTs, here you go:

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rel...-throw-and-integrated-soundbar-300773324.html

HLG, integrated sound bar, $2999, late Q2. I wish they would’ve ditched the soundbar for a lower price point.
Yeah me too. Most of us have our own sound systems already. This Is what I wanted a year ago and I was just not convinced to buy Xiaomi and the heavy Asian content on the UI.

It's a native 1080 chip that doesn't do shifting, so not native 4k, or a shifter but... an upscaler that supposedly shows 4k pixels. Here's a link to a video of the P1 and the other 4k LED as well, and a couple of articles stating It's 1080 with some kind of upscaling. Someone needs to really clarify how It accomplishes this please, and how In the H3LL It qualifies as a 4k projector??? As stated It has full range aluminium drivers and 2 "woofers".

https://www.cnet.com/news/optoma-p1...r-has-4k-resolution-and-a-built-in-sound-bar/

http://4k.com/news/optomas-new-p1-4k-hdr-short-throw-projector-delivers-everything-in-one-25148/

#23 ·
I am looking to replacemy Xiaomi UST (FauxK) Laser projector with a real 4k model. Do we know if this uses a color-wheel or three separate lasers for R , G and B?
Also is it HDMI 2.1?

#26 ·
For everyone wondering when the big boys were going to catch up with the influx of Chinese USTs, here you go:

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rel...-throw-and-integrated-soundbar-300773324.html

HLG, integrated sound bar, $2999, late Q2. I wish they would’ve ditched the soundbar for a lower price point.
Yeah me too. Most of us have our own sound systems already. This Is what I wanted a year ago and I was just not convinced to buy Xiaomi and the heavy Asian content on the UI.

It's a native 1080 chip that doesn't do shifting, so not native 4k, or a shifter but... an upscaler that supposedly shows 4k pixels. Here's a link to a video of the P1 and the other 4k LED as well, and a couple of articles stating It's 1080 with some kind of upscaling. Someone needs to really clarify how It accomplishes this please, and how In the H3LL It qualifies as a 4k projector??? As stated It has full range aluminium drivers and 2 "woofers".

https://www.cnet.com/news/optoma-p1...r-has-4k-resolution-and-a-built-in-sound-bar/

http://4k.com/news/optomas-new-p1-4k-hdr-short-throw-projector-delivers-everything-in-one-25148/
The story on 4k.com.is factually incorrect. We're using the TI 0.47 DMD with XPR technology to achieve 4K UHD, per the CTA's definition of 4K UHD. We're also using a high-quality, glass lens.

#27 ·
Just to be clear for those who may be confused by the terminology, XPR technology is a form of pixel shifting. The 1920x1080 pixels of the 0.47" XPR DMD are shifted horizontally and vertically in four directions at 240Hz to make it appear to the human eye as if 3840x2160 pixels are simultaneously on the screen. Most consider it to be a very effective alternative to native 4K at a fraction of the cost.

#30 ·
Pony up and buy a lamp.....:p

I am pushing 10k hours now and just recently purchased a lamp....250 and she is new again......for hopefully another 9k hours....:D

When looking at the cost difference for us high hour usage users, laser is still not that great at 20k hours, I am half way to that in just over 2 years...…..I would hate to think I would be half way to throwing away my projector if it was laser...…...and I would be in for 4 times the costs or more for a half used up PJ...…

When you do the math for a high hour user, it does not favor the laser at this time....which oddly is a selling point.:rolleyes:

#35 ·
Never thought of this. UST projectors are on my radar this year. 77" OLEDs and such are coming down in price, but huge displays just aint easy to deal with and I love the UST concept.

If I get one, it will be used for everything, so 25 hours a week prob.

#31 ·

#37 ·
For $3000, Id be willing to try it out. I mean it looks like it would sit perfectly on my Klipsch center. I used to sweat lumens, but whenever I go to a Buff Wild Wings and see it all lit up and look at the FP image, Im like sure it is washed a little but it is HUGE.

#41 · (Edited)
I've been looking at some of the Optoma UST bulb projectors. They're very, very inexpensive and throw a very bright punchy picture. The bulb life is pretty long and BAM new bulb and you're set again for those of us who leave our units on for many hours. I would go through 20k hours very quickly. So, I'm not so convinced that they are a good value just yet. My BenQ HT2050 was a great deal. The P1 not so much IMHO. Take a grand off that MSRP and I would be inclined to agree. Also, screen cost. 1k for the XY screen to pair with this. 4k for 4k. Steep.

#45 ·
Depends, calibration has nothing to do with the lens system. So some UST’s will and some won’t. Anything that is ISF (Institute of Screeen and Film) certified will certainly be able too. Not having an ISF certification doesn’t mean you can’t calibrate the projector either.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.