DLP Color Wheel Speed With XPR Pixel Shifting - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

post #31 of 33 Old 08-13-2019, 08:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2690 Post(s)
Liked: 2658
DLP Color Wheel Speed With XPR Pixel Shifting

Quote:
Originally Posted by THXfreak View Post
Very interesting read! And a WIDE field of Information to cover and understand...

BenQ Support here in Germany wrote me in an Email the following Color Wheel Speeds for the W1700 (HT2550):
W1700 Farbradgeschwindigkeit:
2D: 24HZ 5X; 50Hz 2X; 60Hz, 2X
3D: 100Hz 120Hz

So does this mean in terms of RBE the 2D 24hz is "only" 240hz (24x5 = 120 x 2 (RGBRGB wheel) =240hz??

On the other hand I´ve seen a couple of Videoclips where People made some Captures of Gaming and/or Movies where I could see on an Benq W2000 (HT3050))with 6x RGBRGB Color wheel some Rainbow artifacts and on an TK 800 I could see not one - even the TK 800 has NOT an RGBRGB wheel...

I don’t believe that is correct.

First of all, as I pointed out above, those “X” qualifiers can be very misleading as they denote number of RGB passes per frame and not necessarily the speed or frequency of those passes.

The original HT2550 was incapable (like most every 4K DLP save the new HT3550 and Ht5550) of displaying 24Hz film content natively. The projector would perform a 3:2 pull down and display it at the projector’s native 60Hz. Almost every 4K DLP sold is locked at 60Hz (120Hz color wheel and 240Hz RGBRGB “speed”) because of the pixel shift. The HT3550/HT5550 solves this by physically slowing the rotation of the wheel (and the DMD and the optical actuator) to accommodate playing 24Hz film content.

As for the TK800/TK800M, while they are not technically RGBRGB models they are still “4X” color wheels in that you still get 4 rgb passes per video frame. This all gets quite technical and I’m sure I’m not explaining it well but any .47” quad shift 4K DLP projector uses a variation of “4X” color wheel— you wouldn’t see anymore RBE in the TK800 than you would on an HT3550, for example.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Last edited by sage11x; 08-13-2019 at 09:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 33 Old 08-13-2019, 01:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
I don’t believe that is correct.

First of all, as I pointed out above, those “X” qualifiers can be very misleading as they denote number of RGB passes per frame and not necessarily the speed or frequency of those passes.

The original HT2550 was incapable (like most every 4K DLP save the new HT3550 and Ht5550) of displaying 24Hz film content natively. The projector would perform a 3:2 pull down and display it at the projector’s native 60Hz. Almost every 4K DLP sold is locked at 60Hz (120Hz color wheel and 240Hz RGBRGB “speed”) because of the pixel shift. The HT3550/HT5550 solves this by physically slowing the rotation of the wheel (and the DMD and the optical actuator) to accommodate playing 24Hz film content.

As for the TK800/TK800M, while they are not technically RGBRGB models they are still “4X” color wheels in that you still get 4 rgb passes per video frame. This all gets quite technical and I’m sure I’m not explaining it well but any .47” quad shift 4K DLP projector uses a variation of “4X” color wheel— you wouldn’t see anymore RBE in the TK800 than you would on an HT3550, for example.

About TK800 RBE compared to HT3550 do you KNOW that for an FACT ?
What Color wheel works in the TK800M because of the 96% REC709 instead of 92% before on the TK800?
Could you ask your BenQ Contact for details?
post #33 of 33 Old 08-13-2019, 03:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 2690 Post(s)
Liked: 2658
Quote:
Originally Posted by THXfreak View Post
About TK800 RBE compared to HT3550 do you KNOW that for an FACT ?
What Color wheel works in the TK800M because of the 96% REC709 instead of 92% before on the TK800?
Could you ask your BenQ Contact for details?

I know that for a fact because I have reviewed both and have had them both on the same screen at the same time.

The TK800 uses a RWGBWG wheel where the red and blue segments are oversized (for a reason) as they are essentially shared on each pass. If you do the math, a .47 equipped QUAD shift 4K DMD needs to produce 4 distinct, individual pixels for each full frame of 60Hz 4K content. The .47 DMD operates at 240Hz. That means the colorwheel has to match the DMD’s frequency. Well it does as long as it uses a “4X” colorwheel— 2 full passes of RGB (and in this case white) for each full rotation of the wheel. So 120Hz x 2 = 240Hz. A colorwheel with a single pass “2X” design wouldn’t be able to use the quad shift design— you’d have to stick with a 2 way shift as Optoma does with the UHD60.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page