AVS Forum banner

Xiaomi MIJIA Laser Projector 4K version with 4K resolution launched.

523K views 2K replies 279 participants last post by  Casey_Bryson 
#1 ·
Xiaomi first launched the Mi Laser Projector in June 2017 and it was well received in the market such that the company raked in sales of 10 million yuan just 2 hours after it went on its first sale. The device came with a 9999 yuan price tag and despite the hype, was only able to provide an FHD resolution. The company has now launched the MIJIA Laser Projector 4K version with the same design, same price tag but a higher 4K resolution.

In terms of design, the MIJIA Laser Projector 4K version bears a similar design to the Mijia Laser Projector that was launched last year but that model comes with a white colour scheme while the new MIJIA Laser Projector is dark gray. The rest of the specifications are mostly similar. The Mijia Laser Projector comes with a 0.233:1 large depth of field and has an ultra-short focal lens design. The projector screen can be placed in the TV cabinet with the size adjusted to fit in. The wall can also be used as the screen and so, it does not occupy too much indoor space. The design also eliminates the cumbersome problem of wires scattered everywhere. The Laser projector itself only needs to be placed 49cm away from the wall in order to deliver 150-inch screen projection. For a 120-inch screen, the distance reduces to 34cm.

Xiaomi claims the laser light inside the projector has a shelve life of 25,0000 hours. That translates to up to 17 years usage if the projector is used for 4hours daily, meaning the laser is ultra-durable and long-lasting. Picture quality is assured as a result of the use of advanced laser fluorescence display technology (ALPD 3.0). The projector provides a red light ratio of 16% to 18%, wide color gamut, color quasi, with contrast comparable to the laser studio 3000: 1 screen contrast. The light source brightness can reach up to 1500 lumens which are of theatre screen level. The projector also diffuses its direct light source, allowing for more eye protection.

In addition, the Mijia Laser 150″ projector is capable of providing theatre-level audio-visuals right in the comfort of the sitting room. It also comes built-in with all the content available on the MIUI TV. The device equally has its own remote control which supports the Xiaomi universal remote control app. That means the Xiaomi universal smart remote can be used to operate the sophisticated device.

The MIJIA projector will go on its first sale on January 18 for 9999 yuan but presale will open on January 15. After the first sale, the price will then berth at 14,999 yuan ($2,220) which is the official retail price.

See less See more
#755 · (Edited)
So, I won't be doing an extensive review... who am I kidding?! :eek: I have no time... work & family and all, ya know! :)

But, I just spent 3 solid hours testing 2D & 3D 1080p, and 4K HDR. And, comparing back-and-forth & side-by-side with my ceiling-mounted Optoma UHD51A. And, soliciting inputs from my wife & teenage kid (there's always an opinion there ;), LOL)... I now have a good sense of pros/cons to each PJ.

Testing set-up:
> Xiaomi MIJIA, temporary placement for testing (pic1, pic2)
> Optoma UHD51A ceiling-mounted & used since May 2018 (pic1, pic2)

My screen, as I posted before, is a 100" Silver Ticket 1.1 gain white screen. In a decently light-controlled room (even with some ambient light), no special/expensive screen is necessary. The Xiaomi is plently bright.

I'm torn as to which PJ is better however, which to keep. I love the concept of these ultra short-throw PJ's. PQ is really bright (almost too much, definitely needing adjustment) & vibrant, frickin' sharp, with solid contrast & decent blacks (no better, no worse than my UHD51A on that last bit). Love being able to place on a shelf less than a foot away from a 100" screen. Both full 3D and full 4K are supported, on the Xiaomi I'm evaluating at least. On the other hand, I do see minor, but noticeable, jaggies in edges of objects, notably in 4K@60 content (like the Sony Camp 4K@60 HDR demo clip). I thankfully don't see artifacts with 4K film (23.976) material, but I haven't watched a movie yet for more than 15 minutes, only sampled scenes.

On PQ, color accuracy is better with Optoma UHD51A, with its preset Cinema setting. I also chose Movie mode with Xiaomi. Its color palette, with this setting, is warmer, with a bit of a red/orange push. All this can be adjusted, calibrated of course in User mode (and advanced picture controls). With Optoma, when I evaluated the PQ side by side (with the Xiaomi), its color palette appeared a bit cooler, slightly blue-ish in comparison. The Xiaomi also has noticeable blown-out whites with all preset picture modes, so this should really be dialed down using HD & 4K calibration test patterns, which I do plan to do.

Some side by side comparisons using 4K HDR content; left is the Xiaomi & right is the Optoma:
- Comparison1
- Comparison2
- Comparison3
- Comparison4

Oh, you need to enable HDMI 2.0 mode w/the Xiaomi to get 4K above 30Hz, and really for 4K HDR at any framerate for 4K HDR to look right. When playing HDR material, the PJ doesn't provide any visual notification (like the Optoma UHD51A does) that you're in HDR mode, or even what resolution is being rendered. You get a brief black screen, and if the colors have pop and look vibrant, you know you're getting HDR.

With 3D, I've already posted my impressions, but in a nutshell, it's a chore with this PJ. The better brightness (over Optoma UHD51A) helps with 3D, but enabling 3D isn't intuitive and takes a couple of steps, manually, to engage it. And, you have to manually disengage it. And, waiting about 15 seconds between mode changes to/from. But, the 3D quality is excellent. It's now apparent however that only certain 3D DLP-Link glasses work with this Xiaomi. These, which I bought, and likely these, which @dvduser8 posted about, work. These DLP-Link glasses I've owned for a couple of years, which do work perfectly w/Optoma UHD51A (and also worked with my previous BenQ HT2550 & 107x PJ's) do not work w/Xiaomi for some reason. So, we don't know the exact specs for which 3D DLP glasses do work w/the Xiaomi. My guess is they need to support the full range 96~144Hz synch.

So, I'm still unsure which PJ I'm keeping. I'm leaning toward the Xiaomi MIJIA, but the Optoma UHD51A remains an excellent 4K+3D PJ, and it's turning out to be a tough decision. The Xiaomi doesn't have the dark grey border issue that early TI .47 chip DLP's like it have. The main reason to keep the Optoma is color accuracy w/o any adjustments & seamless HD/3D/4K/HDR operation. The Xiaomi boasts better brightness, contrast, sharpness & short-throw placement ease.

#757 ·
So, I won't be doing an extensive review... who am I kidding?! :eek: I have no time... work & family and all, ya know! :)

But, I just spent 3 solid hours testing 2D & 3D 1080p, and 4K HDR. And, comparing back-and-forth & side-by-side with my ceiling-mounted Optoma UHD51A. And, soliciting inputs from my wife & teenage kid (there's always an opinion there ;), LOL)... I now have a good sense of pros/cons to each PJ.

Testing set-up:

> Xiaomi MIJIA, temporary placement for testing (pic1, pic2)

> Optoma UHD51A ceiling-mounted & used since May 2018 (pic1, pic2)

My screen, as I posted before, is a 100" Silver Ticket 1.1 gain white screen. In a decently light-controlled room (even with some ambient light), no special/expensive screen is necessary. The Xiaomi is plently bright.

I'm torn as to which PJ is better however, which to keep. I love the concept of these ultra short-throw PJ's. PQ is really bright (almost too much, definitely needing adjustment) & vibrant, frickin' sharp, with solid contrast & decent blacks (no better, no worse than my UHD51A on that last bit). Love being able to place on a shelf less than a foot away from a 100" screen. Both full 3D and full 4K are supported, on the Xiaomi I'm evaluating at least. On the other hand, I do see minor, but noticeable, jaggies in edges of objects, notably in 4K@60 content (like the Sony Camp 4K@60 HDR demo clip). I thankfully don't see artifacts with 4K film (23.976) material, but I haven't watched a movie yet for more than 15 minutes, only sampled scenes.

On PQ, color accuracy is better with Optoma UHD51A, with its preset Cinema setting. I also chose Movie mode with Xiaomi. Its color palette, with this setting, is warmer, with a bit of a red/orange push. All this can be adjusted, calibrated of course in User mode (and advanced picture controls). With Optoma, when I evaluated the PQ side by side (with the Xiaomi), its color palette appeared a bit cooler, slightly blue-ish in comparison. The Xiaomi also has noticeable blown-out whites with all preset picture modes, so this should really be dialed down using HD & 4K calibration test patterns, which I do plan to do.

Some side by side comparisons using 4K HDR content; left is the Xiaomi & right is the Optoma:

- Comparison1

- Comparison2

- Comparison3

- Comparison4

Oh, you need to enable HDMI 2.0 mode w/the Xiaomi to get 4K above 30Hz, and really for 4K HDR at any framerate for 4K HDR to look right. When playing HDR material, the PJ doesn't provide any visual notification (like the Optoma UHD51A does) that you're in HDR mode, or even what resolution is being rendered. You get a brief black screen, and if the colors have pop and look vibrant, you know you're getting HDR.

With 3D, I've already posted my impressions, but in a nutshell, it's a chore with this PJ. The better brightness (over Optoma UHD51A) helps with 3D, but enabling 3D isn't intuitive and takes a couple of steps, manually, to engage it. And, you have to manually disengage it. And, waiting about 15 seconds between mode changes to/from. But, the 3D quality is excellent. It's now apparent however that only certain 3D DLP-Link glasses work with this Xiaomi. These, which I bought, and likely these, which @dvduser8 posted about, work. These DLP-Link glasses I've owned for a couple of years, which do work perfectly w/Optoma UHD51A (and also worked with my previous BenQ HT2550 & 107x PJ's) do not work w/Xiaomi for some reason. So, we don't know the exact specs for which 3D DLP glasses do work w/the Xiaomi. My guess is they need to support the full range 96~144Hz synch.

So, I'm still unsure which PJ I'm keeping. I'm leaning toward the Xiaomi MIJIA, but the Optoma UHD51A remains an excellent 4K+3D PJ, and it's turning out to be a tough decision. The Xiaomi doesn't have the dark grey border issue that early TI .47 chip DLP's like it have. The main reason to keep the Optoma is color accuracy w/o any adjustments & seamless HD/3D/4K/HDR operation. The Xiaomi boasts better brightness, contrast, sharpness & short-throw placement ease.
Strange, i just launched the 3d movie, enable 3d mode (up and down) on the xiaomi and power on the glass by simple pressure on the button.
No other operation needed for me.

Envoyé de mon LG-H930 en utilisant Tapatalk

#766 · (Edited)
Am I correct that the video is locked to 60fps? What is everyone doing for 4k content since almost all of it is 24fps? Just watching it with judder?
It seems this could be fixed with a firmware update since the 3D mode runs at 48fps. Perhaps this is a limitation of the software built in and when I hook my shield up to it, it will work at 24fps?
Thanks,
Ben

#775 ·
@deadrick, hmm, something went wonky with your post; I can't quite decipher.

@mlkconcept, I tried your settings, but the color palette seems more blue & dull than it should be. Keeping the red at 1024, but lowering the blue to 800's seems better, but so does the preset 'Movie' mode. But, neither seem quite really accurate. Need to play around more... just eyeballing it, as I don't have professional calibration gear.

Now, for a kicker, which speaks to the kinda inconsistent behavior of this PJ... with full Blu-ray 3D, for whatever reason, the 'Move up or down' & 'Fit to frame' both suddenly work for me, and the effect/colors appear exactly the same. Odd how to date only former worked better in terms of non-screwed up colors.

Here's a short video for 3D fans on how engaging & disengaging 3D works w/this PJ:

#776 ·
@deadrick, hmm, something went wonky with your post; I can't quite decipher.

@mlkconcept, I tried your settings, but the color palette seems more blue & dull than it should be. Keeping the red at 1024, but lowering the blue to 800's seems better, but so does the preset 'Movie' mode. But, neither seem quite really accurate. Need to play around more... just eyeballing it, as I don't have professional calibration gear.

Now, for a kicker, which speaks to the kinda inconsistent behavior of this PJ... with full Blu-ray 3D, for whatever reason, the 'Move up or down' & 'Fit to frame' both suddenly work for me, and the effect/colors appear exactly the same. Odd how to date only former worked better in terms of non-screwed up colors.

Here's a short video for 3D fans on how engaging & disengaging 3D works w/this PJ:

https://youtu.be/_NNC5M_7Z2E

Yes, it's the same for me, when engaging 3D the buzzing of the color wheel seems to stop, and starts again when I disengage it.

But on your video, I see the pink-tinted effect, the text and the clouds should be white, do you see it white throw the glasses?

#780 ·
I misread what Titi said so my bad on that. As for ISO/MKV playback is dependent on more factors than a traditional player. I am not a fan of the xbox one X (I have it too and it sucks in comparison to my samsung UHD player) but I would love to see what you find out as a comparison.

#781 ·
Given the (re)announcement of the Optoma P1 UST, now as Cinemax P1, I'm wondering if that's the one I should really wait for. Was supposed to be released Q2, but now this "summer", but even with the delay, seems it isn't far off. Given how well 3D works in UHD51A, I expect Optoma will do an equally good job with P1. And likely more refined, with fewer annoyances, than Xiaomi.

#782 ·
To those with the projector screen (I have the xy screen), how did you guys setup the projector so that it projects to all area of the screen? I’ve been trying to move the PJ around and put padding underneath it but still can’t get it to use the entire screen without leaking outside on horizontally or vertically (like I can make it projects a rectangular image, but the top and bottom of the screen are not fully used .. maybe 3 inches top and 2 inches bottoms are not used ... do you guys use the keystone adjustment at all?

BTW I have a 110 in screen .. not sure if it makes any different ...

Also, I tried plugging in mine to the 110V plug directly here in Seattle and it’s working fine

#787 · (Edited)
Thought I'd post a part II to my initial review earlier. Just spent another 3 hours w/the Xiaomi, really critically evaluating PQ, picture options/controls and whether motion artifacts/jaggies are bothersome enough for me. Trying to finally decide whether to keep this PJ, with the flaws I & others have pointed out, or stick w/my Optoma UHD51A for a while (until a better UST PJ that's 4K+3D capable comes out).

Re-positioned/re-setup the Xiaomi PJ again, trying to line it up as best possible, even & all, with my screen. Because my screen has beveled edges/black borders (pic), no matter what, with the Xiaomi projecting up toward it, part of the bottom of the screen gets cut off (like so). You really need a screen w/a flat or flat-ish border with this PJ.

For testing, plugged in my Zidoo Z9S to HDMI1, and nVidia Shield TV to HDMI2 (pic1, pic2). Was hoping the picture mode settings could at least be uniquely saved for each input... and yes, thankfully so! For each input, to get around picture settings being the same w/this PJ, no matter 3D, 1080p, 4K SDR & HDR, you at least can have a secondary picture setting for input 2, and another for input 3. But, the pain is that when running source devices though an AVR, like most of us do, there's only one HDMI out to the Xiaomi. Unless, that is, you introduce a HDMI switcher in between, which may cause HDMI handshake issues as the Xiaomi is so picky/sensitive with HDMI cables & getting HDMI 2.0/full 4K@60 to take.

Before I talk about picture settings & PQ, someone earlier asked about distance between screen & PJ. This is w/my 100" screen: pic1, pic2.

Oh, think I mentioned it before, but the Xiaomi is rather finnicky going into HDMI 2.0 mode. Even if it works once, and you come back another time/day, don't expect it to work, as you may need to unplug the HDMI cable & plug it back in, or turn off the source device & back on. This shows when I powered on for the day, and this after I unplugged/re-plugged the HDMI cable.

The best thing about the Xiaomi PJ (other than it being an UST) is its sharpness and uniformity (better than 90% or better over the full projected image). Both of these aspects are better than two 4K DLP's I've tried so far (BenQ HT2550 and my current Optoma UHD51A).

So, finally, picture settings & trying to get as accurate colors as possible. I'm eyeballing it as I don't have professional calibration gear. But, this is the toughest part w/the Xiaomi, trying to dial in what looks right as none of the presets really (or fully satisfactorily) do. And, as I mentioned, once you get colors right for 3D source, they just don't look right for SD/SDR, and yet not again for 4K HDR. And, with each input on this PJ, you're stuck with only a single set of image settings, which sucks. So, here's me trying to work picture w/3D (pics taken via iPhone with 3D glasses in between):
- Picture setting1 (in actual viewing, doesn't look as red)
- Picture setting2 (actual looks warmer, more orange/yellow)
- Picture setting3 (actual looks pretty good, but picture goes softer)
- User setting1 (@mlkconcept's settings, while look good in this iPhone pic, actually look a little drab/washed out, but definitely more accurate than all of the above)
- User setting2 (my 1st custom, trial & error, in actual viewing, looks right-ish)
- User setting3 (my 2nd custom attempt, in actual viewing, also looks right-ish)
- User setting4 (my 3nd custom attempt, in actual viewing, looks more right)
- User setting5 (my 4nd custom attempt, in actual viewing, also looks right)

Before I leave 3D, wanted to mention that I tried several full 3D, SBS and HOU titles, and all worked well, in rendering as proper 3D. The 3D effect is excellent across the board, depth, no crosstalk or ghosting, brightness. Initially had thought 3D was better than BenQ’s & Optoma’s, but it isn’t; rather it’s the Xiaomi’s sharpness that makes it seem so.

So, moving on to a different input (HDMI2), I get to apply this input's own/unique picture settings. Now I'm using nVidia Shield TV, and trying a demo 4K HDR clip. When I replicate/apply that last custom picture setting from 3D from input1, it looks like crap. See what I mean?! So, proving my point, the same picture settings will not work across SD/SDR, HD, 3D & 4K HDR. Now, the sample looks much better with both the standard preset & movie preset (and minor adjustments can make this better), which wasn't the same w/3D source.

And, when HDMI 2.0 mode locks in, you can see here that the Xiaomi PJ supports 4K@60/REC2020/10bit just fine (as indicated by my nVidia Shield).

Finally, I tested several FPS/motion test clips, and the Xiaomi doesn't fare too well. I'm seeing motion judder in 1080p or upscaled to 4K. It isn't as bad in 4K, but still noticeable. I then tried a couple of 1080p and 4K movies with camera pans, and the judder is noticeable. Not as severe like with test clips, but noticeable & bothersome nonetheless. Add the jaggies I also notice with 60fps content, both 1080p and 4K, and all these issues add up to pretty significant dings for home theater & movie enthusiasts.

So, where do I stand w/the Xiaomi PJ vs. Optoma UHD51A? After this second round of critical testing, I'm thinking of sticking w/my Optoma UHD51A. I really wanted to like (no, love) the Xiaomi UST, but it's hard to ignore all the flaws. Not one is a dealbreaker, but considering all of them, I'm afraid it is. In the end, if I compare these two PJ's based on PQ, not the coolness of the Xiaomi being a UST, the Optoma is just better all-around. Sure, the Xiaomi is sharper, brighter & punchier, but its picture is also blown-out, where you miss highlights & details. And color accuracy isn't that good, where Optoma easily bests it. Not to mention, the Optoma also does automatic 3D switching, proper 23.976/24 and no video artifacts, and cinema picture settings that look good no matter which source or type of content.

I'm going to play around some more w/the Xiaomi over the weekend before making a final call on it. But, I don't see most of its flaws as really addressable. Firmware updates may help, but as I rewatch Vincent's YouTube review of this PJ & read Secrets' review of the Vava (basically the same PJ), I get the sense we need to wait for these APLD UST's to mature some.

#800 ·
Thought I'd post a part II to my initial review earlier. Just spent another 3 hours w/the Xiaomi, really critically evaluating PQ, picture options/controls and whether motion artifacts/jaggies are bothersome enough for me. Trying to finally decide whether to keep this PJ, with the flaws I & others have pointed out, or stick w/my Optoma UHD51A for a while (until a better UST PJ that's 4K+3D capable comes out).

Re-positioned/re-setup the Xiaomi PJ again, trying to line it up as best possible, even & all, with my screen. Because my screen has beveled edges/black borders (pic), no matter what, with the Xiaomi projecting up toward it, part of the bottom of the screen gets cut off (like so). You really need a screen w/a flat or flat-ish border with this PJ.

For testing, plugged in my Zidoo Z9S to HDMI1, and nVidia Shield TV to HDMI2 (pic1, pic2). Was hoping the picture mode settings could at least be uniquely saved for each input... and yes, thankfully so! For each input, to get around picture settings being the same w/this PJ, no matter 3D, 1080p, 4K SDR & HDR, you at least can have a secondary picture setting for input 2, and another for input 3. But, the pain is that when running source devices though an AVR, like most of us do, there's only one HDMI out to the Xiaomi. Unless, that is, you introduce a HDMI switcher in between, which may cause HDMI handshake issues as the Xiaomi is so picky/sensitive with HDMI cables & getting HDMI 2.0/full 4K@60 to take.

Before I talk about picture settings & PQ, someone earlier asked about distance between screen & PJ. This is w/my 100" screen: pic1, pic2.

Oh, think I mentioned it before, but the Xiaomi is rather finnicky going into HDMI 2.0 mode. Even if it works once, and you come back another time/day, don't expect it to work, as you may need to unplug the HDMI cable & plug it back in, or turn off the source device & back on. This shows when I powered on for the day, and this after I unplugged/re-plugged the HDMI cable.

The best thing about the Xiaomi PJ (other than it being an UST) is its sharpness and uniformity (better than 90% or better over the full projected image). Both of these aspects are better than two 4K DLP's I've tried so far (BenQ HT2550 and my current Optoma UHD51A).

So, finally, picture settings & trying to get as accurate colors as possible. I'm eyeballing it as I don't have professional calibration gear. But, this is the toughest part w/the Xiaomi, trying to dial in what looks right as none of the presets really (or fully satisfactorily) do. And, as I mentioned, once you get colors right for 3D source, they just don't look right for SD/SDR, and yet not again for 4K HDR. And, with each input on this PJ, you're stuck with only a single set of image settings, which sucks. So, here's me trying to work picture w/3D (pics taken via iPhone with 3D glasses in between):

- Picture setting1 (in actual viewing, doesn't look as red)

- Picture setting2 (actual looks warmer, more orange/yellow)

- Picture setting3 (actual looks pretty good, but picture goes softer)

- User setting1 (@mlkconcept's settings, while look good in this iPhone pic, actually look a little drab/washed out, but definitely more accurate than all of the above)

- User setting2 (my 1st custom, trial & error, in actual viewing, looks right-ish)

- User setting3 (my 2nd custom attempt, in actual viewing, also looks right-ish)

- User setting4 (my 3nd custom attempt, in actual viewing, looks more right)

- User setting5 (my 4nd custom attempt, in actual viewing, also looks right)

Before I leave 3D, wanted to mention that I tried several full 3D, SBS and HOU titles, and all worked well, in rendering as proper 3D. The 3D effect is excellent across the board, depth, no crosstalk or ghosting, brightness. Initially had thought 3D was better than BenQ’s & Optoma’s, but it isn’t; rather it’s the Xiaomi’s sharpness that makes it seem so.

So, moving on to a different input (HDMI2), I get to apply this input's own/unique picture settings. Now I'm using nVidia Shield TV, and trying a demo 4K HDR clip. When I replicate/apply that last custom picture setting from 3D from input1, it looks like crap. See what I mean?! So, proving my point, the same picture settings will not work across SD/SDR, HD, 3D & 4K HDR. Now, the sample looks much better with both the standard preset & movie preset (and minor adjustments can make this better), which wasn't the same w/3D source.

And, when HDMI 2.0 mode locks in, you can see here that the Xiaomi PJ supports 4K@60/REC2020/10bit just fine (as indicated by my nVidia Shield).

Finally, I tested several FPS/motion test clips, and the Xiaomi doesn't fare too well. I'm seeing motion judder in 1080p or upscaled to 4K. It isn't as bad in 4K, but still noticeable. I then tried a couple of 1080p and 4K movies with camera pans, and the judder is noticeable. Not as severe like with test clips, but noticeable & bothersome nonetheless. Add the jaggies I also notice with 60fps content, both 1080p and 4K, and all these issues add up to pretty significant dings for home theater & movie enthusiasts.

So, where do I stand w/the Xiaomi PJ vs. Optoma UHD51A? After this second round of critical testing, I'm thinking of sticking w/my Optoma UHD51A. I really wanted to like (no, love) the Xiaomi UST, but it's hard to ignore all the flaws. Not one is a dealbreaker, but considering all of them, I'm afraid it is. In the end, if I compare these two PJ's based on PQ, not the coolness of the Xiaomi being a UST, the Optoma is just better all-around. Sure, the Xiaomi is sharper, brighter & punchier, but its picture is also blown-out, where you miss highlights & details. And color accuracy isn't that good, where Optoma easily bests it. Not to mention, the Optoma also does automatic 3D switching, proper 23.976/24 and no video artifacts, and cinema picture settings that look good no matter which source or type of content.

I'm going to play around some more w/the Xiaomi over the weekend before making a final call on it. But, I don't see most of its flaws as really addressable. Firmware updates may help, but as I rewatch Vincent's YouTube review of this PJ & read Secrets' review of the Vava (basically the same PJ), I get the sense we need to wait for these APLD UST's to mature some.
Thank my friend for saving time and money, I am still wondering why so many users on this thread never talked about how bad this projector is but kept on talking about was PET screens.

Fingers crossed that Optoma CinemaX doesn't blow up my budget.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

This post has been deleted
#789 · (Edited)
this pj thing can drive a guy nuts... decided to jump into 4k after enjoying my benq 1080p ht1085st for years, purchased the dell s718ql 4k ust and returned it, purchased the benq lk953st 4k and returned it, just couldn't rationalize the 5-6 times the price vs my 1080p benq in terms of increased image quality and functionality.

now i'm waiting on the xiaomi mijia which should be here next week, at least it's "reasonably" priced compared to the other two pj i returned/mentioned, and if it doesn't work for my intended plans at least i can use at home for casual viewing, or sell it... i'm hoping my lumagen pro can help with some of the rough edges mentioned, but now i'm really concerned about the locked 60hz, what an odd thing.

maybe i'll just wait until samsung's 220" luxury wall to come down to the $5k range, yeah right, ha ha...

#795 ·
I already packed up my Xiaomi, but you're in luck, I had created a remote control power button press to home screen timing video (please ignore the background air conditioning & kitchen noises)
wow, very helpful, thank you very much.... have a couple of questions: a) is the user able to change the splash screen and b) is there way to bypass the home menu when the pj boots, i.e. remain on the splash screen or boot to a blank screen? thanks again!

#799 ·
Unfortunately, it's not that easy to root this bad boy. Requires breakout HDMI cable and pin access on the mainboard. It's not for the faint of heart though anyone who has built their own PC over the past ten or twenty years should be able to do it without too much trouble.

Info on the XDA thread which has the custom app.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

#803 · (Edited)
I could've lived w/the manual activating/deactivating annoyance, and 3D content is actually artifact-free (no judders), but getting colors right takes work. Then, only to throw those settings out the door for 2D 1080p & 4K HDR for that input.

Yes, split top/bottom screen. Combining only worked for me with 'Move up or down', or with 'Fit to frame', same proper 3D effect with both.