Xiaomi MIJIA Laser Projector 4K version with 4K resolution launched. - Page 17 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 397Likes

post #481 of 1558 Old 05-11-2019, 03:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Yeah i did read about it being relativley easy to set to english so happy about that. Would be a nice bonus if i managed to avoid the import fees i guess but have to be prepared for it worst case scenario.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #482 of 1558 Old 05-11-2019, 03:30 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerodynamics View Post
Would this have anything to do with your laptop outputting 4k60 4:4:4 and your PS4 outputting 4:2:0 or 4:2:2? I’m not too familiar with chroma but I do know one uses more bandwidth than the other and not all devices can display 4:4:4.
i think that's the prob... i owned the dell s718ql (that i recently returned) and it had a prob accepting 60hz from my pc... it wasn't until i used my hd fury, which allows you to select different chroma subsamplings at different rates that i was able to get the pj to accept 60hz from my pc.
post #483 of 1558 Old 05-12-2019, 01:43 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanawin Olanrawathana View Post
We are looking to order tab-tensioned projector screen from China for UST Xiaomi 4K projector, the projector is produced by XY a Chinese manufacturer. Would like some opinion from you guys. We would given the below project screen spec where we plan to order for around $600USD for 120 inch tab tensioned motorized version.

We are placing it on a window and i know the screen needs to be in dark room. So we can have the curtain closed when watching movies.
What do you guys think of this screen when compared to other more expensive options like cinetension cinetension 2 from elitescreen? and is this a good screen or the setup ideal if i can close the curtain and the room is dark?

Thanks for your knowledge and input as i'm quite new to this
Thanks guys for all the very helpful input. Actually to summarise my point was whether the screen material to compare UST ALR with tab-tensioned matte white in dark room as im not sure it will still as good since i havent found matt white screen designed specifically for UST, so not sure how quality will be affected here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #484 of 1558 Old 05-12-2019, 03:35 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hey. I managed to create a custom resolution of [email protected] in nvidia control panel and it works but it is unstable on the Xiaomi 4k projector. It has some sort of flickering here and there. I wonder if an nVidia shield might help!?
post #485 of 1558 Old 05-12-2019, 08:57 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by danimanfx View Post
Hey. I managed to create a custom resolution of [email protected] in nvidia control panel and it works but it is unstable on the Xiaomi 4k projector. It has some sort of flickering here and there. I wonder if an nVidia shield might help!?

Before doing that, did you try changing the color output from 4:4:4 to 4:2:2 or even RGB to see if that changes anything? You graphic card most likely output at 4:4:4 which your monitor can handle, but definitely not the Mija. It's in the Display->Resolution panel, try using YCbCr422 or RGB and see if that works better in 4K60Hz.
oni222 likes this.
post #486 of 1558 Old 05-12-2019, 12:07 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hi everyone - does anyone have the Xiaomi projector in combination with a Sonos Playbar or Playbase operating through the digital out? I have heard that the Sonos tends to be out of sync if being used in combination with the projector? Thanks!
post #487 of 1558 Old 05-12-2019, 01:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Touran View Post
Have dead pixels on my Chinese version projector. Want to change the DLP chip but can't find it 😞 anybody know where to buy? On Aliexpress are a lot but nothing for xiaomi projector

I had the same problems with my original 1080P version of the Xiaomi laser projector, eventually it got so many dead pixels that I couldn't bare to use it anymore. It lasted for about 9 months before it developed dead pixels, progressively acquiring more. I took a loss on the return to the vendor after literally taking 4 months of back & forth conversations.

I'd be super hesitant to trust this design again. The dead pixels were a sign of excess heat from the research I did. I looked for a replacement DMD chip as an option. I recall that there are few sub versions of the DLP4710 TI DMD chip. The version Xiaomi used was not available for purchase last time I looked into it, which was months ago. One avenue to pursue if I was unable to complete the return/refund was to try to warranty the DMD chip itself via TI, you might want to look into that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181024_220125.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	817.1 KB
ID:	2565844  

Last edited by DamionR; 05-12-2019 at 02:52 PM.
post #488 of 1558 Old 05-12-2019, 07:34 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked: 86
I just saw last week that both the 1080 & 4K versions had massive discounts here in the middle kingdom, I was planning to get a few then rese.....lol

anyways if you can stand the Chinese menu & you've got someone to get for you here try & see if the sale is still available

XGimi CC, XGimi Z6, UKCSIS, Vmai M200 Pico
Xbox One S, LG SH4
post #489 of 1558 Old 05-12-2019, 07:52 PM

Oh really where did you see those ? I was looking at the new 4K version on bang good who had discounts but has slowly been rising with more pre orders.
I’m so tempted to buy as I’d hate to miss out in a good price but not sure exactly what’s stopping.
That said I think there may be one or two more options due out from other makers on the next few months after doing some reading
post #490 of 1558 Old 05-12-2019, 08:33 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
So far anyone had any issue with xiaomi 4k projector?

Although it's only 4months since launched, but with an older model, hopefully it's an improved quality rather than just a 4k and 1080p difference.

The older 1080p model seems to have common issue such as dead pixel appearing after months of use.
post #491 of 1558 Old 05-12-2019, 08:59 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hi all

I've just received the Xiaomi 4k projector and the picture is great. The fan noise is there, but the fans are pretty cleaver and only really kick in hard when the unit is hot. The fans do run all the time but as soon as you have volume you don't hear them. My BIG concern is a constant high pitched whining sound, much like the ringing in your ears when it's silent but loud. The high pitched sound doesn't go away even when the stereo volume is turned up (probably because of the frequency) and it's horrid. Does anyone else have this issue?
post #492 of 1558 Old 05-12-2019, 09:00 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Anyone got any company manufacturing & selling the ALR PET Crystal screen at 150 inch screen size.
I don't seem to be getting anyone manufacturing more than a 120 inch screen.

Sent from my vivo 1805 using Tapatalk
post #493 of 1558 Old 05-12-2019, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deakin Wilson View Post
Hi all

I've just received the Xiaomi 4k projector and the picture is great. The fan noise is there, but the fans are pretty cleaver and only really kick in hard when the unit is hot. The fans do run all the time but as soon as you have volume you don't hear them. My BIG concern is a constant high pitched whining sound, much like the ringing in your ears when it's silent but loud. The high pitched sound doesn't go away even when the stereo volume is turned up (probably because of the frequency) and it's horrid. Does anyone else have this issue?
Oh thats not so good, be interesting to head if anyone else is having similar issues.
post #494 of 1558 Old 05-13-2019, 06:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deakin Wilson View Post
Hi all

It's a color wheel that's making this noise. Perhaps different units have different levels of that high pitched sound, but I only notice when there is no sound.

Xiaomi Mija Mi Laser UST 1080P (International), Sharp 4k 65", LG 4k 43", Nvidia Shield
post #495 of 1558 Old 05-13-2019, 03:56 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDB70 View Post
Looks GREAT! Think I may go for the same screen, if I order this pj. Have you had a chance to try out 3D? Just want to know if the 3D quality is good and how much dimmer is it. My main reason to order this is the my Optoma, while good in 2D, is not bright enough through the 3D glasses. Naturally 4k is a bonus.
or you guys can save a wack of cash and get the material from Salange on Aliexpress for 47 bucks (Canadian so much cheaper in US) and build the screen. I have always built my screens and have used material from Carl's, Dalite etc and this material is absolutely amazing. I have the Epson 5040UB and it has never looked so good. Now this material is made for a rear projection but I have seen on Salange's store for UST as well. I mean it when I say I was blown away in the difference...fully lit room is not a problem with this material. Wood and brackets $28 and $47 for the material so all in with staples etc $80. Screen is 2.35/1 so you can see the over shooting as the video is 16x9.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ae_1557353142406.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	2566306   Click image for larger version

Name:	ae_1557353051367.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	2566308  
post #496 of 1558 Old 05-13-2019, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imapfsr View Post
Quote:
Looks GREAT! Think I may go for the same screen, if I order this pj. Have you had a chance to try out 3D? Just want to know if the 3D quality is good and how much dimmer is it. My main reason to order this is the my Optoma, while good in 2D, is not bright enough through the 3D glasses. Naturally 4k is a bonus.
or you guys can save a wack of cash and get the material from Salange on Aliexpress for 47 bucks (Canadian so much cheaper in US) and build the screen. I have always built my screens and have used material from Carl's, Dalite etc and this material is absolutely amazing. I have the Epson 5040UB and it has never looked so good. Now this material is made for a rear projection but I have seen on Salange's store for UST as well. I mean it when I say I was blown away in the difference...fully lit room is not a problem with this material. Wood and brackets $28 and $47 for the material so all in with staples etc $80. Screen is 2.35/1 so you can see the over shooting as the video is 16x9.
Does this salange work for Ust? Have a friend that recommend me this salange, its a cheap and work well in daytime watching.

but I understand the viewing angle for this screen is very narrow.

Last edited by deadrick; 05-13-2019 at 09:06 PM.
post #497 of 1558 Old 05-13-2019, 11:22 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Greetings and many thanks for sharing the info, imapfsr.
For those who are interested, there are two other brands that claim to sell ALR screens: Kingprints and Yovanxer.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Thin-Bezel-120-16-9-Fixed-Frame-Projection-Screens-Ambient-Light-Rejecting-ALR-Screen-For-Xiaomi.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	2566580  

Last edited by qoopy; 05-14-2019 at 05:39 AM.
post #498 of 1558 Old 05-14-2019, 10:39 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Quote:
Good luck with DIY screen for UST projection... I am using a metal one exported from China with high tension springs designed to stretch the screen absolutely flat and even, and yet after a few weeks a small wrinkle has developed which to the eyes is a sizeable patch due to UST projection angle. It is very annoying and I had to take the whole screen down and apart to fix it.
post #499 of 1558 Old 05-14-2019, 04:13 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
I have the Salange screen and I can say that it is useless for UST in a dark room (where it should matter). The reflection happens only if you are exactly near the projector (under the laser). if not... a grey wall is way better. In a "somewhat" lit room it does look better compared to a wall. I checked and I did not see any UST version of that screen. They`re the same product.. only advertised different. I am not even sure that it is possible as with this screen you have to be always near the projection source.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pazure View Post
Before doing that, did you try changing the color output from 4:4:4 to 4:2:2 or even RGB to see if that changes anything? You graphic card most likely output at 4:4:4 which your monitor can handle, but definitely not the Mija. It's in the Display->Resolution panel, try using YCbCr422 or RGB and see if that works better in 4K60Hz.
Ok, so it did not work @60 hz. I tried YCbCr422 and RGB also with limited output, I still got flickering. PS4 does work with 4:2:2.. only. My guess is that the projector cannot do more than that.

Last edited by danimanfx; 05-14-2019 at 04:16 PM.
post #500 of 1558 Old 05-14-2019, 05:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 732 Post(s)
Liked: 391
Xiaomi MIJIA Laser Projector 4K version with 4K resolution launched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qoopy View Post
Greetings and many thanks for sharing the info, imapfsr.
For those who are interested, there are two other brands that claim to sell ALR screens: Kingprints and Yovanxer.

This screen material looks almost identical to the Carl’s short throw (Not to me mistaken with “Ultra” Short throw). I bought some samples from Carl’s. It made the blacks only slightly darker while completely obliterating the color and highlights. It should not be used in a UST application. I know Carl’s claims it can be, but it really shouldn’t. If anybody IS going to try this they should really try a sample first.
Freepost and oni222 like this.
post #501 of 1558 Old 05-14-2019, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bix26 View Post
This screen material looks almost identical to the Carl’s short throw (Not to me mistaken with “Ultra” Short throw). I bought some samples from Carl’s. It made the blacks only slightly darker while completely obliterating the color and highlights. It should not be used in a UST application. I know Carl’s claims it can be, but it really shouldn’t. If anybody IS going to try this they should really try a sample first.
i did see the king prints one on ali express. Is there a particular brand or material type you'd recommend to look out for if using the UST projectors ? I am going to get a screen and UST projector but want the screen to enhance and complement the projector and also to help it during the day or when not pitch black
post #502 of 1558 Old 05-14-2019, 08:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danwel View Post
i did see the king prints one on ali express. Is there a particular brand or material type you'd recommend to look out for if using the UST projectors ? I am going to get a screen and UST projector but want the screen to enhance and complement the projector and also to help it during the day or when not pitch black

It depends. For me I have pretty good light control so my traditional white screen works pretty well. I plan on buying a Lenticular screen if any of these 4k UST projectors turn out to be worth the premium that UST projectors usually ask. If they all end up being too expensive, or have glaring issues, I’ll go back to standard throw. I have done countless hours of research and can share the summary of what I’ve learned.

So as far as lenticular screens go there aren’t a lot of options. As far as I know there isn’t any DIY lenticular material you can buy. There are three affordable (this is relative as they are still expensive) lenticular screens available that have good performance and feedback from users on this forum.

1)Elite Screens CLR, have read that the material is robust, performs well but the frames construction is just ok, and uses Velcro to keep the material tensioned.
2)XY Screens PET Crystal, performs well, the frames construction is sturdy but have read that the material seems thin and delicate.
3)ViewSonic BCP, rebranded DNP Screens (a commercial A/V whole seller). Construction is sturdy, performance is good and the material is stronger than the XY Screens.

These are all impressions I’ve read from users on this forum so, I can’t say that these are 100% accurate. Unless someone comes out with something new, I’ll most likely get the ViewSonic. It’s usually available and sold by Amazon, has as good if not better quality and performance than the other two, and usually costs the least.

Hope this helps.
post #503 of 1558 Old 05-14-2019, 08:40 PM

Quote:
It depends. For me I have pretty good light control so my traditional white screen works pretty well. I plan on buying a Lenticular screen if any of these 4k UST projectors turn out to be worth the premium that UST projectors usually ask. If they all end up being too expensive, or have glaring issues, I’ll go back to standard throw. I have done countless hours of research and can share the summary of what I’ve learned.

So as far as lenticular screens go there aren’t a lot of options. As far as I know there isn’t any DIY lenticular material you can buy. There are three affordable (this is relative as they are still expensive) lenticular screens available that have good performance and feedback from users on this forum.

1)Elite Screens CLR, have read that the material is robust, performs well but the frames construction is just ok, and uses Velcro to keep the material tensioned.
2)XY Screens PET Crystal, performs well, the frames construction is sturdy but have read that the material seems thin and delicate.
3)ViewSonic BCP, rebranded DNP Screens (a commercial A/V whole seller). Construction is sturdy, performance is good and the material is stronger than the XY Screens.

These are all impressions I’ve read from users on this forum so, I can’t say that these are 100% accurate. Unless someone comes out with something new, I’ll most likely get the ViewSonic. It’s usually available and sold by Amazon, has as good if not better quality and performance than the other two, and usually costs the least.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for that i appreciate your comments, quick google suggests i may struggle to find the view sonic in the UK but will spend some time looking
post #504 of 1558 Old 05-14-2019, 08:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for that i appreciate your comments, quick google suggests i may struggle to find the view sonic in the UK but will spend some time looking

You might try looking at DNP Screens they are a Dutch company that makes the ViewSonic BCP screen. Or google “Lenticular projector screen” there might be options in Europe that aren’t available in the States.
post #505 of 1558 Old 05-14-2019, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schumy View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Good luck with DIY screen for UST projection... I am using a metal one exported from China with high tension springs designed to stretch the screen absolutely flat and even, and yet after a few weeks a small wrinkle has developed which to the eyes is a sizeable patch due to UST projection angle. It is very annoying and I had to take the whole screen down and apart to fix it.
Can find out which brand did you get?
post #506 of 1558 Old 05-14-2019, 10:06 PM

Quote:
You might try looking at DNP Screens they are a Dutch company that makes the ViewSonic BCP screen. Or google “Lenticular projector screen” there might be options in Europe that aren’t available in the States.
Thanks appreciate that.

In your opinion the vertical type are better than the grid type ?
post #507 of 1558 Old 05-15-2019, 06:55 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadrick View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by schumy View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Can find out which brand did you get?
This one in the video, PET Crystal 100", I assembled the frame and screen myself. https://youtu.be/6A5aFtNpgYQ
post #508 of 1558 Old 05-15-2019, 09:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks appreciate that.

In your opinion the vertical type are better than the grid type ?

Yes, I bought a sample of the grid type and tried it with my UST projector. It looked much worse than my flat white screen. This is because it’s designed to deflect light coming from the perimeter of the screen, while reflecting light coming straight towards the screen. It’s intended for projectors directly facing the front of the screen.
post #509 of 1558 Old 05-15-2019, 06:47 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Hei guys I am planning to buy a projector screen from Elite Screen Aeon CineGrey 3D 4K Edge Free 16:9 Fixed Frame, can someone commented on this screen as it didn't specify in the description that will be good for UST projector, it specify as front projection screen or is that the same an also it has 1.2 gain which will be good for an ambient light but does it mean the dark colour will be darker? I can provide a link if necessary. Thanks

Last edited by teejay4k; 05-15-2019 at 06:50 PM.
post #510 of 1558 Old 05-15-2019, 08:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejay4k View Post
Hei guys I am planning to buy a projector screen from Elite Screen Aeon CineGrey 3D 4K Edge Free 16:9 Fixed Frame, can someone commented on this screen as it didn't specify in the description that will be good for UST projector, it specify as front projection screen or is that the same an also it has 1.2 gain which will be good for an ambient light but does it mean the dark colour will be darker? I can provide a link if necessary. Thanks

DON’T DO IT! Here’s why, that screen along with any traditional ALR or “Ambient Light Rejecting” screen will REJECT light coming from all four sides of the screen. This includes the bottom where your UST projector is placed. UST projectors must be used with either a traditional non ALR screen or a “Lenticular” ALR screen. A lenticular screen works because it’s surface contains angled grooves in combination with a reflective coating that rejects light from all angles except underneath. Here is a diagram that makes it easier to understand.
teejay4k likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page