Xiaomi MIJIA Laser Projector 4K version with 4K resolution launched. - Page 24 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 359Likes

post #691 of 1341 Old 06-08-2019, 05:39 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjyap View Post
I paint the room matte 80% gray myself. Black might be too much for WAF. Neutral Gray actually looks pretty good.
WAF? I read that as Waifu and my wife agreed I get to do anything I want in my Cinema room and office and she does whatever she wants with the house. (She would of done that anyway so jokes on her.....).

Anyway what do you mean by WAF?

Reciever: DENON AVR-X7200WA using 7.2.4 with two center speakers (one behind the screen and one below it).
Amplifier: Emotiva XPA-5 Gen1
Projector: Xiaomi UST Laser Projector 4k (2019 edition).
My current setup: https://imgur.com/gallery/RnRc98a
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #692 of 1341 Old 06-08-2019, 06:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked: 289
So, fired up my Xiaomi PJ & was initially impressed with the sharpness, brightness & contrast. Updated to latest firmware.

But, I'm seeing several issues...
  1. Motion artifacts & minor jaggies. Something I haven't seen in years in modern PJ's. The PQ/sharpness of the Xiaomi helps depress the artifacts, but they're nonetheless noticeable & somewhat distracting.
  2. Very fussy with HDMI cables & engaging HDMI 2.0 in order to get full [email protected] Tried 3 different 15ft HDMI cables (that work with my Optoma UHD51A, but not this Xiaomi) before throwing in the towel & connecting a media player right next to the PJ w/a certified premium 4K 3ft cable (like so). After this, the Sony Camp [email protected] HDR clip & 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' [email protected] HDR movie played in full resolution. Albeit w/minor jaggies & motion artifacts visible.
  3. None of my 10 DLP-Link 3D glasses work with 3D with this PJ. I have 3 different brands, all of which work perfectly with my UHD51A. Also, 3D need to be enabled manually & disengaged manually. But, anyone know what glasses would be compatible with this PJ??!!

https://imgur.com/a/HggExcF

After about 2 hours with the Xiaomi PJ, I'm impressed with the sharpness, brightness & contrast, but disappointed with the minor, but noticeable, motion artifacts & jaggies. If I can't find compatible 3D glasses to enjoy 3D, this thing will definitely get eBay-ed. But, if I can make 3D happen, I have a tough decision whether to keep this PJ, or stick with my Optoma UHD51A, which is pretty great for both 3D & 4K.

Hi-deft Media Keen Videosaurus
post #693 of 1341 Old 06-08-2019, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh View Post
So, fired up my Xiaomi PJ & was initially impressed with the sharpness, brightness & contrast. Updated to latest firmware.

1. Motion artifacts & minor jaggies. Something I haven't seen in years in modern PJ's. The PQ/sharpness of the Xiaomi helps depress the artifacts, but they're nonetheless noticeable & somewhat distracting.
  2. Very fussy with HDMI cables & engaging HDMI 2.0 in order to get full [email protected] Tried 3 different 15ft HDMI cables (that work with my Optoma UHD51A, but not this Xiaomi) before throwing in the towel & connecting a media player right next to the PJ w/a certified premium 4K 3ft cable (like so). After this, the Sony Camp [email protected] HDR clip & 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' [email protected] HDR movie played in full resolution. Albeit w/minor jaggies & motion artifacts visible.
  3. None of my 10 DLP-Link 3D glasses work with 3D with this PJ. I have 3 different brands, all of which work perfectly with my UHD51A. Also, 3D need to be enabled manually & disengaged manually. But, anyone know what glasses would be compatible with this PJ??!!

After about 2 hours with the Xiaomi PJ, I'm impressed with the sharpness, brightness & contrast, but disappointed with the minor, but noticeable, motion artifacts & jaggies. If I can't find compatible 3D glasses to enjoy 3D, this thing will definitely get eBay-ed. But, if I can make 3D happen, I have a tough decision whether to keep this PJ, or stick with my Optoma UHD51A, which is pretty great for both 3D & 4K.
Thanks for the info. Any chance you can take pics of the artifacts and jaggies you see?
I have the first gen version of this projector and my 4k is on order. I dont get any jaggies or artifacts but my projector is not real 4k. It accepts 4k signal and downsamples to 1080p so it actually looks really good for 1080 due to the 4k input.

Reciever: DENON AVR-X7200WA using 7.2.4 with two center speakers (one behind the screen and one below it).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #694 of 1341 Old 06-08-2019, 07:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Looks like for 3D, with this PJ, "Xiaomi Rechargeable battery DLP LINK Active Shutter 3D Glasses" are required? Shows support for synchronization rates 96, 100, 120 & 144Hz. Wondering if the glasses I have that have worked with BenQ & Optoma 3D PJ's are only 144Hz?

Wondering if these might work?

Last edited by Brajesh; 06-08-2019 at 08:01 PM.
post #695 of 1341 Old 06-08-2019, 11:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Hi Brajesh. Between Xiaomi 4K and Optoma UHD51A, which projector has the sharpest 4K display, best contrast and brightest?
post #696 of 1341 Old 06-08-2019, 11:44 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
How does everyone have their system set up if they are projecting to 120"?
The paperwork says the projector needs to be 34cm from the screen. Does this mean you have a very wide cabinet so it fits the 34cm + projector width?

Or is your cabinet far from the wall so there is a 34cm gap?
post #697 of 1341 Old 06-09-2019, 12:16 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by oni222 View Post
WAF? I read that as Waifu and my wife agreed I get to do anything I want in my Cinema room and office and she does whatever she wants with the house. (She would of done that anyway so jokes on her.....).

Anyway what do you mean by WAF?
WAF = wife approval factor. If you get to do whatever you want in your man cave, that would not limit your option. Anyway, I wouldn't go for all black as it make the room looks depressing.
oni222 likes this.
post #698 of 1341 Old 06-09-2019, 12:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:

Can you try MadVR 3:2 pulldown to check if that solve the judder and motion artifacts issue?
post #699 of 1341 Old 06-09-2019, 02:49 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Don't eBay it so fast. Got myself some very cheap 3D Glasses from Aliexpress and the 3D from this projector is rather impressive. e.g. Avatar, the beginning part where the soldiers just woke up from their capsules. Also 3D Tangled movie. And Youtube's IMAX 3D Countdown Sonic Anthem is just... WOW!!!
robbynaish likes this.
post #700 of 1341 Old 06-09-2019, 05:34 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by admiralmason View Post
How does everyone have their system set up if they are projecting to 120"?
The paperwork says the projector needs to be 34cm from the screen. Does this mean you have a very wide cabinet so it fits the 34cm + projector width?

Or is your cabinet far from the wall so there is a 34cm gap?
I believe that spec is 34cm from lens to wall (I’d Have to check their diagram to be sure). For UST projectors, the lens is near the front of the device, so you really don’t have too much of a gap between the cabinet and the wall. The projector will sit towards the front edge of your cabinet, but it shouldn’t be too bad.
post #701 of 1341 Old 06-09-2019, 06:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff9n View Post
Hi Brajesh. Between Xiaomi 4K and Optoma UHD51A, which projector has the sharpest 4K display, best contrast and brightest?
Xiaomi has better sharpness, brightness & contrast. If you have the UHD51A, you know it's solid on these fronts on its own. And its PQ is sharper than the newer BenQ HT3550. But, when I first fired up the Xiaomi & went to the home screen with the colorful Chinese apps/media, it had an almost OLED feel. What I can also say is you don't need any special screen in a light-controlled room (and it need not be fully light-controlled either). I'm using a Silver Ticket 100" 1.1 gain white screen & PQ looks gorgeous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjyap View Post
Can you try MadVR 3:2 pulldown to check if that solve the judder and motion artifacts issue?
Sorry, I don't use a HTPC & have no idea how to leverage MadVR. I'm going to tinker with settings this evening to see if I can address the minor jaggies/motion issues I'm seeing. It's more the jaggies that were noticeable; I see if I can take pics of this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvduser8 View Post
Don't eBay it so fast. Got myself some very cheap 3D Glasses from Aliexpress and the 3D from this projector is rather impressive. e.g. Avatar, the beginning part where the soldiers just woke up from their capsules. Also 3D Tangled movie. And Youtube's IMAX 3D Countdown Sonic Anthem is just... WOW!!!
No, holding on to the Xiaomi until I can resolve the few issues (not "several" as I misstated earlier). But, 3D is critical to me, and at present, I love Optoma UHD51A's 3D PQ. By the way, the 3D glasses you got from AliExpress, do you know which & its specs?
oni222 likes this.

post #702 of 1341 Old 06-09-2019, 06:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 970 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Quote:
Xiaomi has better sharpness, brightness & contrast. If you have the UHD51A, you know it's solid on these fronts on its own. And its PQ is sharper than the newer BenQ HT3550. But, when I first fired up the Xiaomi & went to the home screen with the colorful Chinese apps/media, it had an almost OLED feel. What I can also say is you don't need any special screen in a light-controlled room (and it need not be fully light-controlled either). I'm using a Silver Ticket 100" 1.1 gain white screen & PQ looks gorgeous.

Sorry, I don't use a HTPC & have no idea how to leverage MadVR. I'm going to tinker with settings this evening to see if I can address the minor jaggies/motion issues I'm seeing. It's more the jaggies that were noticeable; I see if I can take pics of this.

No, holding on to the Xiaomi until I can resolve the few issues (not "several" as I misstated earlier). But, 3D is critical to me, and at present, I love Optoma UHD51A's 3D PQ. By the way, the 3D glasses you got from AliExpress, do you know which & its specs?
You have to manually trigger 3D for it to activate, that doesn't sound promising and I hope they can fix that in a software update.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
post #703 of 1341 Old 06-09-2019, 07:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yep, and you have to manually disengage 3D as well.

BTW, here are the 3 brands of DLP-link glasses that don't work w/the Xiaomi...

Just took a chance & ordered a pair of these glasses from Amazon (which I referenced earlier) as they show 96-144Hz compatibility (vs. just 144Hz, which may be all the glasses I have above).

Same as the Xiaomi glasses on AliExpress that show 96/ 100 /120 /144Hz compatibility.
oni222 likes this.

Last edited by Brajesh; 06-09-2019 at 07:20 AM.
post #704 of 1341 Old 06-09-2019, 07:14 AM

Quote:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1771272176.html?

Price is crazy cheap compared to when I bought Optoma ZD302 and Monster MAX Vision 3D Glasses for my Optoma HD3300
oni222 likes this.
post #705 of 1341 Old 06-09-2019, 07:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 970 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Quote:
Yep, and you have to manually disengage 3D as well.

BTW, here are the 3 brands of DLP-link glasses that don't work w/the Xiaomi...

Just took a chance & ordered a pair of these glasses from Amazon (which I referenced earlier) as they show 96-144Hz compatibility (vs. just 144Hz, which may be all the glasses I have above).

Same as the Xiaomi glasses on AliExpress that show 96/ 100 /120 /144Hz compatibility.
Did you order the one from Amazon from your previous post?

post #706 of 1341 Old 06-09-2019, 07:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks... when you scroll down on the product page, it shows 144Hz for your 3D glasses. Weird none of my above ones work .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Movie78 View Post
Did you order the one from Amazon from your previous post?
Yes.

post #707 of 1341 Old 06-09-2019, 07:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

@dvduser8 , you are doing this to engage 3D right? And I assume you're using full frame-packed MVC 3D content?

Also, does your unit have the latest v1.3.105 firmware?

post #708 of 1341 Old 06-09-2019, 07:55 AM

Quote:
@dvduser8 , you are doing this to engage 3D right? And I assume you're using full frame-packed MVC 3D content?

Also, does your unit have the latest v1.3.105 firmware?
Yes. Manually

Not sure what is this but 3D works fine using my 3D Blu Ray disc and also when watching Youtube 3D content

I remember it updating itself to the latest firmware when I just got it recently
post #709 of 1341 Old 06-09-2019, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Thanks... when you scroll down on the product page, it shows 144Hz for your 3D glasses. Weird none of my above ones work .

Yes.
Keep us posted when you get those. I ordered a pair from aliexpress to see if it works with the first gen Xiaomi until the new one arrives.

post #710 of 1341 Old 06-09-2019, 08:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Ordered the AliExpress two-pairs as well; can't beat $20 shipped for 2x pairs of 3D glasses.

post #711 of 1341 Old 06-09-2019, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Condio View Post
I believe that spec is 34cm from lens to wall (I’d Have to check their diagram to be sure). For UST projectors, the lens is near the front of the device, so you really don’t have too much of a gap between the cabinet and the wall. The projector will sit towards the front edge of your cabinet, but it shouldn’t be too bad.

Can anyone else confirm that the 34cm is from wall to lens, not wall to front of PJ? That changes everything.
post #712 of 1341 Old 06-09-2019, 06:45 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 3
This should help..

Sent from my vivo 1805 using Tapatalk
post #713 of 1341 Old 06-09-2019, 07:00 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
For those who have replaced the AC power cord and tested on 110V - where can I get a US compatible cord and/or what is the device plug end called?

Thanks!
post #714 of 1341 Old 06-09-2019, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmo32 View Post
For those who have replaced the AC power cord and tested on 110V - where can I get a US compatible cord and/or what is the device plug end called?

Thanks!
So I finally grew the balls and tried the projector (first gen) without a converter and it worked like a charm.

As for what type of cable just search on amazon for "Power Cable Mickey Mouse". Get one that looks thicker than usual because some of them are very thin.

post #715 of 1341 Old 06-09-2019, 08:31 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Found it, thanks. PJ is on order now, next to figure out my screen options since the room is fairly well lit (big windows) during the day.
post #716 of 1341 Old 06-09-2019, 10:50 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by oni222 View Post
So I finally grew the balls and tried the projector (first gen) without a converter and it worked like a charm.

As for what type of cable just search on amazon for "Power Cable Mickey Mouse". Get one that looks thicker than usual because some of them are very thin.
So many of them on Amazon. Do you have a specific cable brand that you can recommend for purchase? Thank!
post #717 of 1341 Old 06-10-2019, 04:03 AM

Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by admiralmason View Post
Can anyone else confirm that the 34cm is from wall to lens, not wall to front of PJ? That changes everything.

from screen to PJ ! (don't forget the depth of your screen)
post #718 of 1341 Old 06-10-2019, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titi_78 View Post
from screen to PJ ! (don't forget the depth of your screen)
Hmm, 31cm to the screen is gonna be rough, gonna have to think about how to do the shelf
post #719 of 1341 Old 06-10-2019, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff9n View Post
So many of them on Amazon. Do you have a specific cable brand that you can recommend for purchase? Thank!
This one should do well:

https://www. amazon .com/Listed-Adapter-Notebook-Computer-Charger/dp/B002V9U7WY/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1B5RFVIK3G6QA&keywords=power+cable +mickey+mouse&qid=1560167948&refinements=p_85%3A24 70955011&rnid=2661617011&rps=1&s=gateway&sprefix=p ower+cable+mi%2Caps%2C149&sr=8-3
jeff9n likes this.

post #720 of 1341 Old 06-10-2019, 06:15 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hi guys, I know it's not the right Forum, but I am looking for advice. The JMGO S3 4K is on sale for less than $2500. Anyone know of it, or point me in the right direction about reviews and such. When comparing this to the Xiaomi 4K, its only a $400 difference and a huge bump in brightness, at least on paper. Any help will be appreciated, thank you

always around...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page