Xiaomi MIJIA Laser Projector 4K version with 4K resolution launched. - Page 32 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 397Likes

post #931 of 1558 Old 06-26-2019, 11:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeneas01 View Post
great to hear that it arrived! a couple of questions:

1. are you using a 120 > 240 step-up converter?
2. did you ever receive the calibration settings from vincent?
1. Given that others have used with 120, and it came with a US plug adapter, I just going to use without the converter.
2. I emailed Vincent the day I received the PJ, but no response so far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #932 of 1558 Old 06-27-2019, 12:56 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by eziggy3 View Post
1. Given that others have used with 120, and it came with a US plug adapter, I just going to use without the converter.
2. I emailed Vincent the day I received the PJ, but no response so far.
ha ha, didn't even notice the a u.s. adapter kicking around in the projector box, when i read your post i rechecked the box and sure enough there it was... seems odd that this would be supplied if a 120v power source couldn't be used, no? why else would it be included? just in case the step-up your purchased only had a type b input? how likely is that?

anyway, apparently the mi mjjgyy02fm laser projectors were/are fitted with 100-240v power supplies.

https://www.mi.com/global/mi-laser-projector-150/specs/
post #933 of 1558 Old 06-27-2019, 01:25 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
What screen are people using with these?

Is this the best model > MJJGTYDS01FM ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #934 of 1558 Old 06-27-2019, 06:33 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
ha ha, didn't even notice the a u.s. adapter kicking around in the projector box, when i read your post i rechecked the box and sure enough there it was... seems odd that this would be supplied if a 120v power source couldn't be used, no? why else would it be included? just in case the step-up your purchased only had a type b input? how likely is that?

anyway, apparently the mi mjjgyy02fm laser projectors were/are fitted with 100-240v power supplies.

https://www.mi.com/global/mi-laser-projector-150/specs/
I think that is the version that was sold by Walmart, right?
post #935 of 1558 Old 06-27-2019, 07:29 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello everyone, Happy Mijia projector's owner. One of you did a qualibration and could share the settings with us? Or if someone got the HDTVtest Youtube Channel's settings?
Thanks.
post #936 of 1558 Old 06-27-2019, 10:16 AM

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
this is what worries me about lenticular alr screens, it's been the same with the few i've seen in person, they do much better in ambient light that non-alr screens, but when it comes to dark rooms they don't do as well as non-alr screens, in some cases not nearly as well as non-alr screens in the dark.

but i keep reading how much ust projector owners are liking them, again and again, so i find myself looking closely at them, in fact i've narrowed it down to two lenticular screens, they're already in the cart, i just have to click purchase, but i'm still hesitant... i guess i'm hoping someone will tell me that they look fantastic in the dark as well, and that videos don't reflect it!

https://snowhitescreen.en.alibaba.co...6a5e464fAiG3WO
According to everyone I asked who has a lenticular alr screen, they say the black levels and contrast are superior in a dark room. Also they say the calibration settings will be different, and comparing 2 different type of screens with the same settings and conditions is not fair.

post #937 of 1558 Old 06-27-2019, 11:57 AM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I got my projector a couple days ago, I am reluctant to give a review because of my screen not working with an UST projector. I have a new screen I will be installing this weekend.
I can say it does work fine in 24fps with my Nvidia Shield. I have had some trouble getting the bottom of the screen squared away, it seems to go "in" at the bottom. I tried to keystone and still couldn't get it right. This might be due to how my screen is hanging. I will no more Sunday when I hang the new one.
Picture quality is well...amazing. I am coming from a BenQ ST 1080p projector and the difference in not only picture quality but also black levels is night and day.
It works fine with the adapter that came with it for the US. "******** opened it and threw it in the box" I still bought a step up power supply I am going to install with the screen so I feel more comfortable.
If anyone has any questions feel free to ask.
Thanks,
Ben
post #938 of 1558 Old 06-27-2019, 12:04 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenPlace View Post
I got my projector a couple days ago, I am reluctant to give a review because of my screen not working with an UST projector. I have a new screen I will be installing this weekend.
I can say it does work fine in 24fps with my Nvidia Shield. I have had some trouble getting the bottom of the screen squared away, it seems to go "in" at the bottom. I tried to keystone and still couldn't get it right. This might be due to how my screen is hanging. I will no more Sunday when I hang the new one.
Picture quality is well...amazing. I am coming from a BenQ ST 1080p projector and the difference in not only picture quality but also black levels is night and day.
It works fine with the adapter that came with it for the US. "******** opened it and threw it in the box" I still bought a step up power supply I am going to install with the screen so I feel more comfortable.
If anyone has any questions feel free to ask.
Thanks,
Ben
Have you tried 24fps content on a different device with any issues? I assume the shield is connected in 4k, right? Thanks!
post #939 of 1558 Old 06-27-2019, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfenser View Post
Have you tried 24fps content on a different device with any issues? I assume the shield is connected in 4k, right? Thanks!
I only have the Shield hooked up to it. Yes it is 4K and I was testing 4K content at 24fps after setting the resolution to 24p. Looked smoother than my old projector.
I played Blue Planet episode 1 in 4K and it looked jaw dropping. I also tested some HDR content that looked washed out on my old projector because of the lack of HDR support and it looked great. You can see the colors switching to HDR as it started playing.
post #940 of 1558 Old 06-27-2019, 04:44 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
I only have the Shield hooked up to it. Yes it is 4K and I was testing 4K content at 24fps after setting the resolution to 24p. Looked smoother than my old projector.

I played Blue Planet episode 1 in 4K and it looked jaw dropping. I also tested some HDR content that looked washed out on my old projector because of the lack of HDR support and it looked great. You can see the colors switching to HDR as it started playing.
Hey Ben, can I bother u to do some testing? The juddering is a big problem for me when watching movie scenes where it pans. My source is 4k 24fps movie played via USB connected directly to the projector.

Can you try playing from a USB drive with a 4k 24fps movie source connected directly via the projector's usb port and then do the same for the Nvidia's usb port and see if there is a difference/fix? If this can fix the judder issue, I would definately purchase a Nvidia shield!

BTW, what screen did u get?
post #941 of 1558 Old 06-28-2019, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjzsakae View Post
Hey Ben, can I bother u to do some testing? The juddering is a big problem for me when watching movie scenes where it pans. My source is 4k 24fps movie played via USB connected directly to the projector.

Can you try playing from a USB drive with a 4k 24fps movie source connected directly via the projector's usb port and then do the same for the Nvidia's usb port and see if there is a difference/fix? If this can fix the judder issue, I would definately purchase a Nvidia shield!

BTW, what screen did u get?
I will test this when I get home from work later today. I have heard the on board projector OS will not do 24p but I will test and verify.
post #942 of 1558 Old 06-28-2019, 03:09 PM

OK I did what you asked for. It is going to be really hard to tell though because of my bad screen that creates the waves. I do think the 24p USB Shield is smoother by a small amount but neither of them have what I would describe as judder.

Plugged directly into the USB port on the projector.

Plugged into the port on the NVidia shield and switched resolution to 24p.

Video info:
Bitrate 67447 kbps
Width 3840
Height 2160
Aspect Ratio 1.78
Video Resolution 4K
Container MKV
Video Frame Rate 24p
Video Profile main 10

The screen I got was a Silver Ticket fixed frame (I couldn't afford anything expensive now and my theater is in a basement with no windows anyways) and I will be installing that on Sunday. I can do another demo then if you would like.
Nihar P likes this.
post #943 of 1558 Old 06-29-2019, 12:42 AM

Thanks for sharing man.. Can't really tell from the videos u shared but it's ok.. The issue is like what Vincent from YouTube described when playing 24fps video.. He says the problem is because the projector is locked at 60fps and when u play 24fps video, it won't look smooth when panning or when there is too much action.. I guess I have to live with it till Xiaomi fix it which I doubt..

My alr screen is on the way, at China warehouse now.. The told me it can only be shipped by sea and not air.. Too big and heavy for air..
post #944 of 1558 Old 06-29-2019, 12:49 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Just wanted to add some feedback in this thread around the 3D content on the PJ.

My source for the 3D content is rips using Plex server.

I had a couple of pairs of different glasses and found that one pair just wouldn't work at all but the Bobolov 3D glasses paired with ease to the PJ and worked fine.

On the whole i was left underwhelmed and perhaps as little bit disappointed with the 3D experience BUT the only thing i had to compare it to was a cinema experience and it was just no where near as good.

I tried a couple of films and then set the PJ 3D option to align the left and right images as that was the only option that did anything to my source. Normal movies just seemed to appear blurred with minimal 3D effect going on. I then tried animation movies which did seem to fair a lot better to the point where in my opinion a normal movie wasn't watchable yet the animation movies were very watchable.

what i will add to that is that i would like to try 3D again but this time with a dedicated 3D blu ray player and a disc to see if it fairs any better but short of me spending around $100 to do so and buying a refurbished panasonic player i don't see an option to test it. That said i am considering buying one to try but at the same time unsure if i will watch much 3D content as when i watched Rio 2 with my 2 boys they actually stopped half way through the movie and wanted it to be put back to normal 2D so kind of torn as to what to do as i really wanted the option of 3D and really wanted to like it but i can't help but feel the 3D side of the PJ is a bit of a non event BUT like i say that could well be my source.
post #945 of 1558 Old 06-29-2019, 07:13 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Anyone near or between Harrisburg, PA with one of these want to come over for a demo? I'd love to see what this looks like on my over-priced 120" SI Black Diamond. Obviously doing a comparison against my pro-calibrated JVC X790R 4k eshift wouldn't exactly be fair, but I'm curious to see how it would do. I've loved the ideal of a short throw for years, but systems like the Sony were always well out of reach. Honestly, I bet this thing could boast better color than my current unit just do the fact of it's design and how close it sits to the screen. My JVC is excellent at night, but during the day I wish it was a tad brighter. Then again, these weren't really designed for non-AL rooms.

Judd Nguyen

US ARMY: 11C4P08 (RET)
post #946 of 1558 Old 06-29-2019, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjzsakae View Post
Thanks for sharing man.. Can't really tell from the videos u shared but it's ok.. The issue is like what Vincent from YouTube described when playing 24fps video.. He says the problem is because the projector is locked at 60fps and when u play 24fps video, it won't look smooth when panning or when there is too much action.. I guess I have to live with it till Xiaomi fix it which I doubt..

My alr screen is on the way, at China warehouse now.. The told me it can only be shipped by sea and not air.. Too big and heavy for air..
Yea it is hard to tell with my screen jacked up. I will try to repeat this tomorrow night after setting the new screen up.
post #947 of 1558 Old 06-29-2019, 08:01 AM

Projector Settings

Good news and bad news. The Good news is Vincent did provide settings as advertised in his YouTube video so he is true to his word.

The bad news is that he asked that I not share the settings or it will mess up his deal with ********.com. So sorry I can't share, I don't want to screw the guy over.
post #948 of 1558 Old 06-29-2019, 08:22 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Hey guys, I've finally gotten mine and have a couple questions. I'm in the US and plugging it directly into the wall with the adapter. I have it booked up to an AV receiver with Apple TV 4k and a PS4 Pro.

The Apple TV only goes up to 4K HDR at 30hz while the PS4 Pro says 4k is unsupported.

Is there any way to get 4k HDR at 60hz on Apple TV and is there a way to get 4k on the PlayStation 4??

Totally lost. Thank you all!
post #949 of 1558 Old 06-29-2019, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eziggy3 View Post
Good news and bad news. The Good news is Vincent did provide settings as advertised in his YouTube video so he is true to his word.

The bad news is that he asked that I not share the settings or it will mess up his deal with ********.com. So sorry I can't share, I don't want to screw the guy over.
Can you tell us if the settings improve the quality?
post #950 of 1558 Old 06-29-2019, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkMonk View Post
Hey guys, I've finally gotten mine and have a couple questions. I'm in the US and plugging it directly into the wall with the adapter. I have it booked up to an AV receiver with Apple TV 4k and a PS4 Pro.

The Apple TV only goes up to 4K HDR at 30hz while the PS4 Pro says 4k is unsupported.

Is there any way to get 4k HDR at 60hz on Apple TV and is there a way to get 4k on the PlayStation 4??

Totally lost. Thank you all!
Did you change the input settings on the projector to HDMI 2.0?
When you go to the correct input, hit the button with the 3 lines on it on the remote and go to display settings, HDMI 2.0 and set it to on.
post #951 of 1558 Old 06-29-2019, 09:02 AM

Quote:
I will when I finally get the projector setup. I am having my movie room redone and it won't be ready for a couple of weeks.
post #952 of 1558 Old 06-29-2019, 09:37 AM

Talking

Quote:
Did you change the input settings on the projector to HDMI 2.0?
When you go to the correct input, hit the button with the 3 lines on it on the remote and go to display settings, HDMI 2.0 and set it to on.
Oh. my. god. I cannot believe this. After buying different HDMI cables n **** and going nuts for over a week, it was right there all this time. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!
post #953 of 1558 Old 06-29-2019, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkMonk View Post
Oh. my. god. I cannot believe this. After buying different HDMI cables n **** and going nuts for over a week, it was right there all this time. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!
Glad it fixed it for you. I am not sure why they don't have that on as the default.
Have you done any reviews yet?
post #954 of 1558 Old 06-29-2019, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Glad it fixed it for you. I am not sure why they don't have that on as the default.
Have you done any reviews yet?
I don't really know how to do reviews. All I can say is that it looks amazing to me, the wife and kids and all of our guests. It's in a fully light controlled room and even at 180 inches, it's stunning (now that I got the 4k worked out). It is many many times better than my previous LG PF1000U ust and I really wonder how it would be with Vincent Teoh's settings. I bought it before I saw his review so missed out on getting the deal with his settings. If anyone can give a review of how his settings are, and if they do indeed make the picture better, I wonder if he'd sell it.

One thing to note, and it just may be that I screwed up, but I bought some really expensive ALR paint and while I was setting it up, I painted a portion of the wall to see the difference and for some reason, the ALR screen paint seemed to just make the whites darker. So my wife went over it painting it white and it is much better. I don't know if it's because there's very little to no light in the room or what. Maybe I painted it on wrong? Not sure. What's your experience with ALR paint/screens? I can't imagine it getting better than it is but I want to get the best I can, so.
post #955 of 1558 Old 06-29-2019, 11:26 AM

For some reason I am having trouble getting a square screen, it seems to go in at the bottom. I have no keystoning on.
Did you have any trouble getting a square picture?
I have no experience with ALR paint or screens.
post #956 of 1558 Old 06-29-2019, 12:20 PM

Quote:
For some reason I am having trouble getting a square screen, it seems to go in at the bottom. I have no keystoning on.
Did you have any trouble getting a square picture?
I have no experience with ALR paint or screens.
I have an annoying curve at the top right but it's the wall, not the projector. The only reason I know it's the wall is because I've had other projectors and it's the same f'ing curve. I would have thought it was the projector if I hadn't had a different projector before. Maybe check and see if it's your screen or wall by trying it on a different wall to see if the problem still persists?
post #957 of 1558 Old 06-29-2019, 02:50 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
yeah, that's of course the 5 dollar question...

quite honesty, his example of improved image quality due his calibration settings shown in the youtube video didn't do much for me, in fact to my eyes the image looks considerably worse after his calibration, especially the hues, of course maybe it's my monitor...

but that's just me, a guy who many years ago spent hundreds to get my large rptv professionally calibrated, it was an impressive 3+ hour process, the equipment and software used struck me as so cutting edge, but when everything was finished i was very underwhelmed, so much so that i ended up resetting and/or adjusting most of the settings the calibrator made... anyway, all of that said, i'd still like to check out vincent's settings, regardless if i ended up using them or not, but still haven't heard back from him.

oni222 likes this.

Last edited by aeneas01; 06-29-2019 at 05:28 PM.
post #958 of 1558 Old 06-29-2019, 02:59 PM

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 76
If you had the option to pick a 120 inch ALR type screen and placing the LCR speakers underneath it, or a 150 inch acoustic transparent woven fabric screen and placing the speakers behind the screen, with the option to 100% control the lighting in the room depending on preference which one would you pick for this projector?

post #959 of 1558 Old 06-29-2019, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBEAR2004 View Post
If you had the option to pick a 120 inch ALR type screen and placing the LCR speakers underneath it, or a 150 inch acoustic transparent woven fabric screen and placing the speakers behind the screen, with the option to 100% control the lighting in the room depending on preference which one would you pick for this projector?
The 150 inch with speakers behind. I painted a portion of my wall with ALR screen paint and it seemed to mess with the whites. I'm not sure if I messed up or what but the projector is much better on white. The brightness makes the blacks look black to us. But I as I have already dropped the money on the paint, I want to paint a board with it and stick it up to compare one final time, but I'm pretty sure it won't make a difference.

If you have full light control like I do, I don't see the need for an ALR screen. That's just my 2 cents.
BIGBEAR2004 likes this.
post #960 of 1558 Old 06-29-2019, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limp Fox View Post
Anyone near or between Harrisburg, PA with one of these want to come over for a demo? I'd love to see what this looks like on my over-priced 120" SI Black Diamond. Obviously doing a comparison against my pro-calibrated JVC X790R 4k eshift wouldn't exactly be fair, but I'm curious to see how it would do. I've loved the ideal of a short throw for years, but systems like the Sony were always well out of reach. Honestly, I bet this thing could boast better color than my current unit just do the fact of it's design and how close it sits to the screen. My JVC is excellent at night, but during the day I wish it was a tad brighter. Then again, these weren't really designed for non-AL rooms.

Judd Nguyen
Isn't Black Diamond for long throw? I think it will look awful man.. If it works, SI would have advertised it for UST and not created a totally new screen type.. Haha..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page